Fox announcers are high

Losing a team that isn't seriously on your level is not as bad as losing to a team that is because it's not making a komment to what you can do. As long as its just one loss. Like last year Clemson lost to Pitt but won nat champ. The ceiling, the potential, should be deciding factor because it matters for playoffs where the best play the best what a team can do not how low it can sink gegen non-playoff teams. And osu's ceiling is lightyears above that of bama. They won their reg season equivalent of bama vs auburn and big-ten champ should clinch it for them

Ohio St’s ceiling is light years above Alabama? Interesting take

There would be FBSIA, FBSIAA. They would be the IAA Champs. Those teams could still go to bowls and play their P5 counterparts in those games.

The money divide is growing larger and larger between the haves and the have nots. The non P5 teams are increasingly at greater disadvantages to their P5 counterparts. To say that Toledo and Ohio State are on a level playing field is a joke, which we know, yet they are both classified in the same division of ncaa football.

A non P5 4 team playoff could generate more money for those teams and conferences which they badly need.

Yea beating psu vs beating lsu. Did you think lsu and psu were in the same level of playoff competitiveness? Interestig take.

I didn’t say anything about anyone else. So if Ohio St played Alabama, and both teams played their absolute best, you’re saying Ohio St wins by 10? 20? 30?

And since you mentioned them, please point me to a decent team Penn St beat. LSU besat AU. Penn St best win vs Akron?

OSU wins by 2 touchdowns with dual-threat qb solid rb agaisnt bama's injured linebackers and they give bama's offense trouble with solid penetration from d-line vs that struggling o-line

You're trying to make things complicated but then also use transitive property. So lsu is better than auburn? Lol? But then bama lost to auburn despite beating lsu...twisted logic. Not sure I can get behind the desperate form of argumentation. Osu beat 2 top 5 teams won at their rival destroyed sparty. Bama beat lsu at home and lost the game they needed to win. Its really that simple.

OSU wins by 2 touchdowns with dual-threat qb solid rb agaisnt bama's injured linebackers and they give bama's offense trouble with solid penetration from d-line vs that struggling o-line

So not against Alabama’s ceiling, but if they are injured

You're trying to make things complicated but then also use transitive property. So lsu is better than auburn? Lol? But then bama lost to auburn despite beating lsu...twisted logic. Not sure I can get behind the desperate form of argumentation. Osu beat 2 top 5 teams won at their rival destroyed sparty. Bama beat lsu at home and lost the game they needed to win. Its really that simple.

You’re the one trying to use transitive property. Comparing resumes, the only thing Ohio St has over Alabama is a conference championship. Pretty much every other measure favors Alabama. It is what it is. We’ll all find out tomorrow. If Ohio St wins, I like our chances. Can’t imagine what Iowa’s ceiling is though

You’re the one trying to use transitive property. Comparing resumes, the only thing Ohio St has over Alabama is a conference championship. Pretty much every other measure favors Alabama. It is what it is. We’ll all find out tomorrow. If Ohio St wins, I like our chances. Can’t imagine what Iowa’s ceiling is though

Comparing resumes is what matters most!

Iowa's ceiling is being one play away from beating psu at home. Can't wait til you get that

They just sat here and told everyone that Alabama has no chance to make the playoff. Bama is #5 and Auburn has already lost. If Ohio State beats Wisconsin according to Fox "experts" Ohio State will get in and that means the #5 team will see two teams in front of them lose and they won't get in? And that #5 team is Alabama? With only one loss while other teams get in with two losses?

Smoke another bowl guys.

GL

I don't know what will happen, but Alabama does not deserve to be in.

The whole thing is pretty simple Clem vs. Ala/OSU and Oklahoma vs. Ga. Case closed step down....

And for people saying that the little guys aren't up to it, they are 2-1 in the NY6 Bowls in the new format, with the one loss coming from a team whose coach bolted. They handle themselves fine.

They couldn't do worse than the Big 10 the last couple of seasons

i don't see why clem is auto #1. I mean maybe they are, but I think good cases can be made for OU and Jorja.

If Bama gets in ... this is what we have ...

Committee: Conference Championships matter; Except if you are Alabama (Or Ohio State ironically)
Committee: Strength of schedule matters; Unless you play in the SEC
Committee: Wins against quality opponents matter; Unless you are Alabama

After today's game against Ohio State .. Wisconsin has a tougher Strength of schedule than Alabama does. They have 1 loss .. their 1 loss was because they played in a championship game while Alabama sat at home.

Why does Bama get the nod over Wisconsin.

Basically you are giving Bama the nod because of one thing and one thing only ... the eye test. And that my friends is bullshit.

At some point they’re going to have to put some guidelines in place.

Should the most deserving teams make it or be ranked higher?

Or should the better teams make it or be ranked higher?

Simply taking more teams isn’t going to fix it. For every spot you add to the playoffs you’ll add twice as many teams to the argument.

You can’t just simply take all the conference champions either. This isn’t the NFL. Schedules aren’t set by a singular governing body, all conferences aren’t structured the same, and not all conferences determine their champion the same way.

The NCAA doesn’t have the authority to tell conferences how many teams they should have, how to determine their champion, nor how many conference games they should play.

It isn’t as simple as we want to think.

Yep, UCF #1. But they will be penalised for beating a 2 loss Memphis (despite both loses being to UCF)

It amuses me when sections of the media keep moving the goalposts to suit their agenda. One week it's best win, next it's best loss, next it's SOS.

The best short term solution is 6 team, with the 5 conference champs and the best of the minnows. First round before Christmas, second on New Year's Day

Joel Klatt is so smart with this. It isn't who's 5-10...it's who they put in from 11-25 to beef up that "great win" resume for the top teams. He's so good with it and calls out the committee so bad it's good.
You mean basically what I was saying weeks ago...

Reactions: KJ
At this point I would settle for the committee selecting between all the conference champions for the four spots as a stepping stone. Just no teams that don't win their conference. It makes the whole season meaningles.
ESPN just showed Alabama has having the 4th highest SoS, feels inaccurate.

Sagarin has them at 56 heading into this week

You mean basically what I was saying weeks ago...
You've said a lot lol...but sure

To be clear, I want less games for unpaid athletes, some who can't be at what may be nearing the apex of their careers. The need for a champion is created by us. Fans, gamblers, etc....it's out of control. Personally I don't need a definitive one. And the BCS was better than the current system. Likewise I'd be exponentially against any expansion of a playoff. Much prefer an NFL developmental league where they're getting paid. And college coaches get fucked.

It's worked before
And it sucked. Doesn't matter to the NCAA but most know it was fucked up. I remember the first game like it was yesterday. Couldn't tell you one thing about the rematch. If we can't evolve from that, scrap all of it.

I'm tired of people dismissing the win over FSU as if FSU-with-Blackman is the same team as FSU-with-Francois. That was a win over a genuine top-5 team.

Still, I have a hard time putting them in over an Auburn team that beat both them and the conference champ.

At this point I would settle for the committee selecting between all the conference champions for the four spots as a stepping stone. Just no teams that don't win their conference. It makes the whole season meaningles.

Sagarin has them at 56 heading into this week

That's crazy. I agree with Kyle; Sagarin calls bullshit on that.

Pretty sure it was strength of record that was 4th, not strength of schedule

If Bama gets in ... this is what we have ...

Committee: Conference Championships matter; Except if you are Alabama (Or Ohio State ironically)
Committee: Strength of schedule matters; Unless you play in the SEC
Committee: Wins against quality opponents matter; Unless you are Alabama

After today's game against Ohio State .. Wisconsin has a tougher Strength of schedule than Alabama does. They have 1 loss .. their 1 loss was because they played in a championship game while Alabama sat at home.

Why does Bama get the nod over Wisconsin.

Basically you are giving Bama the nod because of one thing and one thing only ... the eye test. And that my friends is bullshit.

With all due respect to our resident Alabama fans, who have been gracious winners during Saban's era of dominance, the eye test says that this edition of the Crimson Tide is inferior to recent versions. Still, as a Clemson fan, I suppose I'd rather play Ohio State than Alabama, and I guess that's the acid test for my opinion of their relative strength.

UGA and OU suffer the most from the extra practices. Bama, Clemson and TOSU have a lot more upside. I think UGA and OU are more plateaued.

Don't know who the committee will pick.

As stated I think conference champions should only be eligible.

Current system my top 4:
1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. UCF

8 team system conference champs only:
1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. UCF
5. Ohio State
6. USC
7. Boise St
8. Toledo

Split P5 and G5 4 team systems for each conference champs only:

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Ohio State

1. UCF
2. Boise State
3. Toledo
4. FAU

I have strong opinion on the conference champion only thing, but the actual national championship game(s) has never mattered to me that much. When I was a kid watching in the 80s and 90s I cared some. After the final week of the regular season, with each successive week I care less than the prior week. I wasn't really into yesterday and I watch all the bowls, but they don't matter that much to me beyond entertainment.

Why I care about how they determine the national champion is because of all the non-college fans that start giving their opinions. Not CTG members who atleast have informed opinions, but rather people like my brother-in-law or my Mom or some random local news personality. They don't follow and don't watch just about the entire season and then think they know what should be done to determine the national champion. That bothers me more than anything else in this whole debate.

I'm tired of people dismissing the win over FSU as if FSU-with-Blackman is the same team as FSU-with-Francois. That was a win over a genuine top-5 team.

Still, I have a hard time putting them in over an Auburn team that beat both them and the conference champ.

FSU is a 6-6 team though, that's what matters (not to mention at the beginning of the season). You can't just invent a what-if season for them.

FSU is a 6-6 team though, that's what matters (not to mention at the beginning of the season). You can't just invent a what-if season for them.

It's a good point. If FSU was 5-1 and then Francois got hurt and they end up 8-4 that is one thing, but assuming they would have been good when they had zero wins with Francois at the helm is speculative at best.

I tend to think FSU would have been pretty good, probably don't semi-quit for part of the season, and that they were a pretty good team the day they played Bama. But I don't think that in the actual analysis of quality win that you can give them much credit for it. It's an opinion not based on much but my preseason assessment of FSU.

Speaking of which, the impact of preseason assessments is another huge problem with the current system and every past system.

They love that we're having this debate

I hate it

Do away with the national title and just play these games with the pawns you drag in and be done with it

Every year I hate this sport more, just start a minor league system

Hate is a strong word I don't really use

Just used it twice in a post. And I meant it

I love the sport. I just hate that we have yet to crown a single legitimate champion since the sport began. It's easy to do, as they do it for the FCS.

Luckily, I do enjoy bowl season, and by the championship game I am ready for it to be done. Think I have not watched the two of the last four title games. (I travel Monday nights for work).

Going to live up my once-in-a-lifetime agreement with vk by restating his summary:

strength of schedule
quality wins
p5 conference championship.

so simple for OSU.

Yeah I am pretty much done with it at this point. Thought about posting in the other thread, but I'm just done. Won't watch the playoff show at noon and hopefully can avoid any random conversations with people I encounter about the national championship. If I do I will immediately turn the topic to Army - Navy, a game that really matters!~

Reactions: KJ
OSU detractors always talk about that Iowa loss. Fine. Then remove Clemson and Oklahoma from playoff picture. What, no?

Point of playoffs is to beat the best teams not unranked teams!

Last edited:
I love the sport.QUOTE]
Impressive, it's just not College Football

It's minor league football and a bunch of politics with players that must give up a couple of their best years of performance without being compensated accordingly. I'm gonna go HAM on this topic. It's garbage all around for the big guy.

Back