Few quick NCAAF futures (basically my thoughts on Michigan)

raems

Pretty much a regular
Generally hate futures, think when it comes to actually impactful amounts of money books like nothing more than locking you up and limiting your cash flow, but here goes nonetheless.

1. Peppers Heisman (80/1) -- .25 to win 20
2. Peppers Heisman ceremony invite (14/1) -- 1 to win 14
3. Michigan national champs (13/1) -- 2 to win 26

I think Michigan is going to be the best team in the country this year, and feel that the current odds being given are favorable and at the very least will have risk-free hedges available in mid-October. More in-depth analysis below, but I feel that the amount of talent on this squad, along with the coaching and extremely favorable schedule, sets this team up for a lot of success.

The o-line returns 4 of 5 starters, with a few shuffling positions. Continuity is there, with no glaring weak spots or causes of concern coming in.

Darboh/Chessun/Butt all back as playmakers - none of these guys are once in a generation talents, but they're all rock solid, produced at a high level last year, and have another year of getting coached up to come back even stronger.

More continuity in the backfield - mild lack of explosiveness here, but the team's x factor is Peppers who I will go into a bit further down.

QB the one spot on offense where questions lie, but the schedule and supporting talent all around the QB help mitigate this concern. Very similar things being asked of whoever the starter is as Bama has asked of their guys in years past.

One of the best if not the best d line in the country. Glasgow's injury is what hurt them last year, with him in team's couldn't run and a lot of interior pressure was being generated. Add Charlton and Wormley returning, along with the top recruit in the nation rotating in here and there, things are looking up. Just have to stay healthy up front.

Lot of change at linebacker, but this was the weak spot last year so not like there's a lot to live up to.

Best secondary in the country - shut-down corner on one side, need somebody to step up at safety but expect that to happen over time. Peppers in the Dom Brown defense is going to be very similar to how AZ uses honey badger in the NFL - playmaker all over the field, capable of being the team's best player at any non-line position on any side of the ball. I expect him to line up at RB, slot receiver, slot corner, outside corner, linebacker and safety. The new d-coordinator will emphasize takeaways much more, and I expect Peppers to have as good a chance to shine as any non-skill position player since Mathieu at LSU if not even more so. The lack of explosiveness at traditional RB also suggests that he may get enough offensive TD opportunities to get on the Heisman radar too (he's much more explosive than anybody on the RB depth chart).

A full year with Harbaugh, along with two full recruiting classes now, will have a major impact. I think this is the year where this team makes the most year-over-year improvement over the life cycle of Harbaugh's tenure, which is saying a lot since last year's team was a playoff contender until a once in a century fluke on a punt and injuries ravaged the defense. Give him a month to prepare for a playoff game / ten more days to prepare for a second playoff game, good luck.

Now the schedule.

Hawaii / UCF / Colorado -- open the season with 3 tuneup games at home
Penn State / Wisconsin / at Rutgers / bye -- open the B1G schedule with very winnable games, nice steady ramp-up and the first road game comes in mid-October at a venue where Michigan fans outnumber home team fans.
Illinois / at MSU / Maryland -- 2 easy home games sandwiching a huge road game. Expect a lot of focus around the MSU game, first big signature win of the Harbaugh era and I'm sure he'll have them prepared for this one. MSU will be good but lot more question marks here than years past.
At Iowa / Indiana / at OSU -- the Iowa game will be tough but a forgiveable loss even if they do lose it (1 regular season loss will be forgiveable, preferrably MSU or Iowa). Indiana auto-w, then what may be a national quarterfinal against OSU. Think by the time they get to this game Michigan's title odds will be in the neighborhood of 6/1.

I think the first six games of the schedule along with the bye right after it allow Michigan to ramp up across the board and really hit a rythm by the time the beef of the schedule arrives. They have a significant amount of talent, are extremely well coached, and have few if any legitimate weaknesses heading into this season. I think they have as good a shot as anybody to win the national title, and have a transcendent talent in Peppers who will get noticed in a major way this season, would expect him to be the first defensive player off the board in next year's draft.

GL guys.

I expect Iowa and tosu to be the tough tests. Michigan notoriously struggles at kinnick. Very experienced team in Iowa. Tosu will be gelled by November

Agree on peppers. Would love to everyone him used everywhere in Don Browns attacking scheme.

I personally think rbs will be fine. No one great but lot of depth there.

Gl, I hope you are right.

Looking forward to msu game. I think it will be a distention result this year

they lose to Iowa and you can't forget it

that schedule is MAD weak

I would say a loss to OSU would be forgiveable but too late in the year

also I can't agree at the best defensive backfield in the country

Jourdan is good and Jabril around is nice, but I disagree

but GL raems....I am glad CFB is back baby

beat OSU!

yall are certainly building a decent program there.....you are just a year or 2 early

Twinkie barking at a schedule
.. lmao...you guys playing mcneese st in November again?

My only problem with your post is that you could have used the word "Taco" but chose not to.

Good luck this year

You BIG guy love to hate on the late November games

You can say with a straight face that UM schedule is legit?

Sweet based on that schedule strength ISU should be bowl eligible after week 3, doesn't matter if they're 0-3. Maybe week 4.

The win/loss method seems odd to use given that teams like UCLA, USC and Notre Dame never play FCS teams at all, so naturally the teams they play should have more losses I'd think. Impressive those schools are that high on that list.

has peppers even had a whiff of the endzone as a wolverine? whos going to be qb? best team in the county?? not a chance.. easiest schedule argument is very sellable.... good price but looks like a donation. they are a year away, or even 2. and urban is the last guy behind saban who id want to have to beat to win a bet. :shake2:

I hate Harbaugh, but the dude can flat out coach. That defense will keep them in every game no matter what the offense does. With that schedule, 2 losses seems to be the most pessimistic outlook. The defense and running game are going to put whoever the QB is in an easy spot. I really think Isaac could really emerge this year as the guy to produce explosive plays for the offense.

You guys are funny lol I'll take anyone's action on Michigan not losing more than 3....3 is a push.

Any takers?

You guys are funny lol I'll take anyone's action on Michigan not losing more than 3....3 is a push.

Any takers?

My money is tied up on a "Yes (+250), a D.A./DOJ/Other Official Government Agency will seek Murder 1,Murder 2 or Manslaughter charges against Hillary Clinton within the next 7 years" future, or I might.

My money is tied up on a "Yes (+250), a D.A./DOJ/Other Official Government Agency will seek Murder 1,Murder 2 or Manslaughter charges against Hillary Clinton within the next 7 years" future, or I might.

:rofl:
Nope cuz Ivy made thread and no interest in responding ;)

has peppers even had a whiff of the endzone as a wolverine? whos going to be qb? best team in the county?? not a chance.. easiest schedule argument is very sellable.... good price but looks like a donation. they are a year away, or even 2. and urban is the last guy behind saban who id want to have to beat to win a bet. :shake2:

this is sellable....and very

[TABLE="class: cfb-sch, width: 644"]
<tbody style="box-sizing: border-box;">[TR]
[TD="class: cfbh-date, bgcolor: #E5E5E5, align: center"]Date[/TD]
[TD="class: cfbh-hel, bgcolor: #E5E5E5, align: center"] [/TD]
[TD="class: cfbh-opp, bgcolor: #E5E5E5"]Opponent[/TD]
[TD="class: cfbh-tv, bgcolor: #E5E5E5, align: center"]Time/TV[/TD]
[TD="class: cfbh-tix, bgcolor: #E5E5E5, align: center"]Tickets[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]Saturday
Sep. 3[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2h, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]Hawaii Rainbow Warriors
Michigan Stadium, Ann Arbor, MI[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]Noon ET
ESPN[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]Buy
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Sep. 10[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]UCF Knights
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]Noon ET
ABC/ESPN[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Sep. 17[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2h, align: center"]
colorado1.gif
[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]Colorado Buffaloes
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]3:30pm ET
BTN[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Sep. 24[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]Penn State Nittany Lions
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]TBA[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Oct. 1[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]Wisconsin Badgers
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Oct. 8[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]at Rutgers Scarlet Knights
High Point Solutions Stadium, Piscataway, NJ[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]7 or 8pm ET
ABC/ESPN/2[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Oct. 15[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2h, align: center"]---[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]OFF[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]---[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Oct. 22[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]Illinois Fighting Illini (HC)
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]3:30pm ET
TV TBA[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Oct. 29[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]at Michigan State Spartans
Spartan Stadium, East Lansing, MI[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Nov. 5[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]Maryland Terrapins
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Nov. 12[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]at Iowa Hawkeyes
Kinnick Stadium, Iowa City, IA[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]8:00pm ET
ABC/ESPN/2[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Nov. 19[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]Indiana Hoosiers
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Nov. 26[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]at Ohio State Buckeyes
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Program not to the point where the kids are ready for these expectations. Maybe in a year or two, not yet. Hard to anticipate anything but disappointment relative to what's being asked of them in the preseason.

Program not to the point where the kids are ready for these expectations. Maybe in a year or two, not yet. Hard to anticipate anything but disappointment relative to what's being asked of them in the preseason.

yep, agree. Plus the coach has put a target on the backs of his own team

I know Hunt said UM struggles at Kinnick, but I think Iowa isn't nearly the team we saw last year....Stanford exposed them

they again get a nice schedule

[TABLE="class: cfb-sch, width: 644"]
<tbody style="box-sizing: border-box;">[TR]
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]aturday
Sep. 3[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]Miami (OH) RedHawks
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]2:30pm CT
ESPNU[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Sep. 10[/TD]
iowa_st1.gif
[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]Iowa State Cyclones
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]6:30pm CT
BTN[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Sep. 17[/TD]
north-dakota-st1.gif
[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]North Dakota State Bison
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]11:00am CT
ESPN/ESPN2[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Sep. 24[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]at Rutgers Scarlet Knights
High Point Solutions Stadium, Piscataway, NJ[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Oct. 1[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]Northwestern Wildcats (HC)
TV TBA[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Oct. 8[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]at Minnesota Golden Gophers
TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Oct. 15[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]at Purdue Boilermakers
Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, IN[/TD]
TV TBA[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Oct. 22[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]Wisconsin Badgers
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Oct. 29[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2h, align: center"]---[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]OFF[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Nov. 5[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]at Penn State Nittany Lions
Beaver Stadium, University Park, PA[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]6:30pm CT
BTN[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Nov. 12[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]Michigan Wolverines
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]7:00pm CT
ABC/ESPN/2[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
Nov. 19[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]at Illinois Fighting Illini
Memorial Stadium, Champaign, IL[/TD]
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: cfb1, align: center"]Friday
Nov. 25[/TD]
[TD="class: cfb2"]Nebraska Cornhuskers
Tickets
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

UM is a couple years away is what I am saying....if they had THIS schedule in like 2 years

they would be a a LOCK in the playoff

5 weeks in and home stand finally complete, few thoughts.

Overall, the defense is as good as it gets. Can have a barbershop debate to figure out who's the very best, but this defense is right up there with whoever else you want to name. Dline depth still there in full force as they haven't gotten dinged up yet, big plays which popped up against UCF and Colorado became much less of a problem in Big Ten play. Getting pushed by two good teams in Colorado and Wisconsin was good too, team showed some character. Lewis back and healthy is massive as the corner depth took a bit hit with Clark's ACL injury, but with that said Stribling has been playing well and the pass rush is so good that few teams have the combination of WR depth and protection to make Michigan pay for that shortage.

Speight hasn't been sharp at all since real teams popped up on the schedule (last 3 weeks). He can be extremely inaccurate in the short/intermediate space this offense will NEED if they want to win road Big Ten games. The Newsome injury is pretty big, it's never good to lose your left tackle but he was also rock solid in the run game which is rare at that spot. Playmakers have been a pleaseant surprise, Evans has really helped fill out that RB depth and there are more than enough receiving weapons. Speight having a good deep ball will remain an asset.

Nice soft open to the road schedule this week at Rutgers, then a bye, then home for Illinois. Yes these will be two wins, but more than the wins, Michigan's prep and player development over the next 3 weeks will probably dictate the rest of their schedule imo. There's a lot of room for improvement which is a positive, but the improvement has to actually be realized to make something good out of it.

Peppers Heisman play appears to be burnt money at this point, it'll take a Jackson injury for anybody else to win it.

Speight looking legitimately good now, oline has settled in and injuries have been minimal overall. Defense has slight vulnerabilities on the edge but better they realize that now.

The wins against Colorado and Penn State continue to look better every week, would love to see each win out which would mean a Colorado wins the PAC 12 and PSU a top 10 team - that could benefit Michigan if they lose a close game at the shoe. Realistically though, this playoff berth is coming down to The Game as expected. Even if Colorado wins the PAC 12, tough to count on UM getting in over Louisville. Possible but not probable, same as the thought of UW losing a game before New Year's Eve.

Back