• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

ESPN's Handicappers Picks Week #9

bones

We Must Protect Our Democracy
@TahoeLegend I'll get it started. Here is Bet the Board and I'll add as I complete.

They won again last week on 1H Under in PSU/OSU and are 6-2

Skipped ahead for Best Bet: Purdue +3 up to -125 buying the 1/2 point. [this buy is gone for me]. Explains it's worth it in a game with this low a Total of 39.

Tennessee v KY +3.5/52
119th meeting. Vols are 83-26-9 and 8-2 since Stoops started at KY. This will be the 2nd consecutive road game for Vols in losses to Florida and Bama, both by 2 scores. Last week vs Bama they had just 74 yards on 23 carries. KY is off a bye.

Powers on Vols O vs KY D: Will it be 1stH Bama Joe Milton or 2H Milton? Milton is “very avg, not very good.” Can they run agst KY? Walker up front for KY good. But, KY D has been exposed, Georgia getting over 600 yds and in last 3 qtrs vs Mizzu Tigers score 38 points. Yet, Milton is too inconsistent to trust him. There will be opportunity for Vols in passing game – KY D is #121 vs the pass, a little better in epa vs pass at #70. There will be shots to take for Vols and he thinks that Vols can find some success.

Payne on KY O vs Vol D: KY has been working hard on 3rd down plays on the bye week. Health of KY is trending positive. Ray Davis, rb, is a machine but Devin Leary looks like Ray Charles in passing. Hard game to handicap. He says “At -3 the value on Vols, if it gets to 4.5 some interest on KY…. Difficult handicap…KY starting at 5-0 was one of the most fraudulent teams in power 5.” Rumors that KY may play with higher pace (rumor only), but they have to do something different. The Mizzu D is roughly at same level as Vols, probably a tick below and KY only got “30% of available yards, despite getting Ray Davis going with 65% rushing success rate as a team” [I found this an interesting comment]. So “on paper Vols should be able to contain KY run game.” Vols one of Top 10 Ds in line yards allowed. “I don’t know if Davis can do it all himself in this spot….have to get Leary going in throw game. It has not been existent to this point.” Leary has 7 turnover worthy throws, 68% accuracy, 64 QBR. He’s completed less than 48% agst SEC competition with 6 TDs and 4 ints with ‘tons’ of batted balls b/c of his size. His receivers give him no help - 15% drop rate. Leary’s lost most passing yds in SEC due to drops, and KY’s top 2 receivers are #1 & #2 in nation in drop rate. “I just don’t see a consistent path for Ky offense” [unless KY is improved off the bye or Vols are gassed from Bama game]

OU @ Kansas “OU a double-digit favorite” (line I am seeing in OU -9) / 65:
Kansas homecoming. Jayhawks with 19 straight losses to Top 10 opposition, last win was 2008 beating VaTech. OU off win vs UCF and Sooners have only won their last 2 games by 6 total points; their first 5 wins were by 14+. Kansas has covered their last 6 games vs OU, but last year was first year they were a dog of less than 3 TDs. OU leads Big 12 in passing offense, 325 per game, 7th nationally. OU has OkState on deck.

Powers OU Offense vs Kansas Defense: OU has significant edge and I expect OU offense to show some things this week. But, “I am not overly impressed….I see a good offense, not great.” UCF OU favored by 17. Gabriel has great counting stats and is #4 QBR. Thing that concerns me are the running backs…Marcus Major leads the way. Pass game with Nick Anderson leading 24 yds per, 8 TDs on 16 catches. EPA per pass is much better than epa per rush. Texas ran ball well in Kansas game and perhaps OU will do the same to gain confidence in their run game. Pathway for KU to have some success on D are Logan and Bryant in the 2dary and perhaps turnovers? “I will be stunned if OU is not well into the 30s on offense and it will be an abject failure if they don’t score 35ish, at least.”

Payne KU Offense vs OU Defense: Kansas ranks among leaders in yards per play, 3rd down conversion and rushing offense, Devon Neal at rb is a weapon. Kansas has to start fast, that’s the hope. “Eventually the talent gap is large” Jason Bean at qb for KU. Bottom line he thinks KU has to take shots and they cannot beat OU down to down. OU out of TOP 95 in explosives allowed, and UCF had success. " I am lower on both teams than market, Both teams are relative sells for me….The numbers guys will want OU, the informational guys lean towards Kansas. The vibe I’ve been getting is if it is KU, more so 1H rather than entire game.”

Oregon @ Utah +6.5/48:
A win for Ducks at Utah would be their first since 2016. Oregon leads series 16-5 and won 6 of last 10. Utah been winner in 2 of last 3. Ducks escape with 3 point win last year. Home team covered 6 straight. Last 3 games gone under the total 43.4 scoring avg with the pregame total closer to 59. Nix leads nation/history FBS in starts and has completed 78% of passes thru 1st 7 games. Bucky Irving good rb. But, step up in class with Utah D.

Payne on Ducks Offense vs Utah Defense: “Good on good and will have largest impact on game.” We have called Ducks offense a ‘phone booth offense’ and I think it helps them this week and is their path to success. Bo Nix short throw game is the X factor. Go back to 1st game where Mertz, Gators, was 25 for 29 on throws inside 9 yards vs Utah. Mertz and Nix have a lot in common, bad ADOTS but both #1 & #2 in adjusted accuracy. Nix leads country with 85% accuracy rate, he’s been pinpoint thru 8 weeks. You can run a little bit on Utes, outside top 35 in rushing success rate allowed, outside the top 90 in explosive run rate allowed and saw some of that last week vs USC. Utah has also been susceptible to standard down passes (1st and ten, 2nd and 7, 3rd and 4). Agst Florida on standard downs Utah gave up a 65% passing success to Mertz, Florida cud just not score in the green zone, 2 points per trip. Utah beat USC as 7 point dog, but USC did find success doing same thing as Florida, Williams had 60% success rate throwing on standard downs. Utah has one of best home field advantages in college football. Payne says Utah been fortunate in QBs fortunate they’ve faced. “Oregon and Bo Nix might just have an offense that can grind their way to a win.” Utah has lost Barton, linebacker, from their D last week….could have impact. "Looking at metrics you can see why Oregon favored by 6.5, to me they’re best team in PAC" 12. But, Utah just seems to find ways. I do not know if they win by margin but can find success. He hints at USC and Willimas abandoned game plan and playing ‘backyard football” was significant to Utes perfoemance.Weather an issue? Temps in the 30s getting down into 20s?

Powers on Utah Offense vs Duck Defense: Bryson Barnes for Utes played well last week, to say the least. Utah relies on run, over 70% last week. “Obviously edge Oregon here but not as big as what it would have been a couple weeks ago.” Utah is outside of top 70 in most counting stats on offense, but 2 weeks ago they were in the 100s. They have found something agst Cal and then USC nearly 500 yds of O. The guy really giving them the punch is Vaki (gave great stats). Vaki has helped Jackson, the big back. The Utes O line improved but facing a better D line, and the pass blocking not very good rated #132, second to last in country. Oregon D is able to get to QB, 25 sacks the last 6 games. Ducks have not allowed 100 yards rushing in last 5 games – but have faced most pass happy teams in country; Hawaii, Colorado, Washington, Wazzu. Ducks up front will be tested here, they face Utes who will run right at them. “I don’t see a lot of ‘dudes’ on Oregon defense.” Oregon’s toughest test, “I am still going to give the edge to Oregon here, but this is one where the gap has closed.”

Georgia @ Florida +14.5/46-47
Last 8 seasons the game winner represents East in SEC Championship. GA 24 straight wins, 32 straight vs unranked. 4 SEC teams GA beaten (Scar, Auburn. KY and Vandy) have a combined 3-14 SEC record. GA has won last 2 vs Gators by 20+ for first time since 1942-1945. Gators looking to start 6-2 (after going 6-7 in last 2 full seasons) and 4-1 in SEC where they were 3-5 last year. Gators have 8 straight losses agst #1 teams. Last win was ‘08 vs Bama. Unranked Florida has beaten ranked GA 3 times – 1986, 2002 and 2014. Gators on a nice ATS run last 12 games agst ranked teams 8-3-1; GA is 1-5-1 ATS this year. Brock Bowers done for season. Delp replaces and #1 TE recruit.

Powers on GA Offense vs Gator D: Bowers is a 1.5 point loss for GA offense. I’ve never before downgraded a team this much for loss of a TE. Carson Beck 74% and 300 yds per game, but GA starting QBs making their first Florida starts are 1-9 this century, Jake Fromm the exception. “Certainly, and edge to GA here even w/o Bowers.” GA has had a bye week. GA going to lean on ground game and Beck has been fine and O been in Top 10 and Top 2o even in analytics. O line needs to step up and play better. Loves Gator D coordinator. But #85 in country in explosives allowed and average agst run and pass…..”its tough getting the KY game out of my mind where KY pounded for 300+ yds running.”

Payne on Gator O vs GA D: Florida has given up 19 sacks, 4th most in conference, Mertz pressured on 34% of drop backs. Mertz has short pass game [see Utes discussion] Pearsall is deep threat. GA not faced real pass Os and when they gave up 14 in 1H to Scary, 21 to UAB in game, and 20 to Vandy. Can Gators make it a game? Give credit to Mertz this season. Napier has made it as easy as possible with play action and motion. Gators schedule has helped and every team they have faced has been downgraded since start of season. GA is no exception and he has downgraded them 5.5 points since season started. GA strength of schedule is barely in top 100. Kirby refuses to load the box…maybe he will change this week, it should. Gator O line not good on run. GA allowing 7% greater pass success rate when motion is used and Gators use it at high level. Mertz has to threaten occasionally to keep GA offense. GA is relatively impossible to run on , but their vulnerable areas are outside and btw A&B gap where Gators have most of their success. Gators can be annoying to GA if Kirby does not load the box. So, the way Gators play with slow pace and clock maybe has way to keep game closer, but if they do not stay ahead of down and distance it could get ugly.. Gators abject disaster on late downs and horrific on pass protection on known passing downs. “When you look at this there is kinda a path, but Florida is threading the needle on O and then you cannot turn it over.”

Powers' Non-power 5 is Troy @ Texas State +5.5/52.5: I am seeing +7/53, Powers lost on FAU last week and 3-1 last 4. Keep it simple he takes Troy -4.5 which is long gone. TX State has lost 4 of last 5 ATS. Major step up in class here.

Ohio State @ Wisky +14.5/43.5
Badgers have not beaten OSU in more than 13 years, 2010.

Powers on Buckeye O vs Badger D: Powers does not see it for Buckeye’s O this year [exception Harrison] and Kyle McCord. He does not throw it to open receivers except Harrison. Day took a knee at end of 1H with McCord which he would not have done with QB he had confidence in. I am keeping this short, not a lot of confidence in overall offense. The back-up QB, Devon Brown, who OSU uses in goal line situations is out for few weeks. How does that change them? They will not put up 45 on the Wisky D. Stover at TE needs more targets. Wisky defense is “good, not a ton of dudes…Ga Southern went up and down the field.” Not impressed with Wisky D against Iowa and Illinois. All that said, "Edge to OSU here definitely agst Wisky."

Payne on Badger O vs OSU D: Illinois best D lineman, Newton, was ejected which helped Badgers in the 4th qtr comeback vs Illini. Newton may be #1 D lineman in NFL draft. “Braedyn Locke, oof.” High recruit. Rumors are he’s better in practice than Mordeci. “I don’t see a path for Wisky.” Burke for OSU at cornerback is best in country, should be back. Locke in 2d start cannot lead effective drives. He gives stats. Locke is small and cannot handle pressure. Locke fumbled 3 times in 6 qtrs. The O line cannot get the push needed. “Tough for me to back Wisky that was outscored by Iowa at home, was trailing Illini by multiple scores and had a 95 yd pick 6 to beat Rutgers and were not dominant agst Ga Southern and Buffalo, honestly.”

Last edited:
Here is how I "heard" BTB pod:

1. Take Tenny and their defense agst a bad KY offense.
2. OU likely to cover, but KU may surprise paticularly in 1H. OU team total Over is best bet if you wager.
3. Oregon is the best team in PAC 12, but with history and Utes hard to lay 6.5. Then again, Oregon has a legit shot at the cover. Weather? [ FWIW, I took Oregon -6.5 before I heard pod]
4. Florida has no shot at a win and will have a hard time scoring.
5. Payne's concluding remarks: “Tough for me to back Wisky that was outscored by Iowa at home, was trailing Illini by multiple scores and had a 95 yd pick 6 to beat Rutgers and were not dominant agst Ga Southern and Buffalo, honestly.”

I can’t stand betting against Utah but so many times it seems like the right thing to do. There no rational way they should hang w ducks yet they probably will. Lol

I have Travis at 53-54-1 after week 8. He has himself at 54-54 (does not count pushes)
He was 2-6 Week 8.

OU @ Kansas +10 WIN
Kansas has had two weeks to get ready for Oklahoma after a tough loss to Oklahoma State and I think the Jayhawks — and I can’t believe I’m saying this — will perform well at home, potentially having a shot to beat Oklahoma down the stretch. And, yes, if I’m wrong, I’ll immediately know that when I typed in “Kansas schedule” and got the basketball schedule, I should have known better than to take the Jayhawks here. Rock, chalk, cover.

Indiana @ PSU -31.5 LOSE
Pray for the Hoosiers. That’s all I can say. Yes, Penn State is coming off a tough loss to Ohio State when their offense didn’t show up, but all that tells me is that the Nittany Lions are going to pour points on Indiana. I mean just rain down points after points after points. I think Penn State goes for 45+. Meanwhile Indiana might not score.
A hellacious day is in store for Indiana, look out, and grab the Nittany Lions to cover by a bundle.

UVA+18.5 @ Miami WIN
The Hurricanes got a huge win over Clemson and Virginia got a monster upset win over North Carolina. So what happens this week? Another tight game for both teams.
Miami hasn’t beaten a power five conference team by more than 15 points all year. (And that was Texas A&M all the way back in early September.)
Meanwhile UVa has been slowly improving the past three ACC games: with two consecutive losses by three to NC State and Boston College before the breakthrough win at North Carolina. I think we get another single digit loss on Saturday at Miami, the ‘Hoos cover.

BYU +17.5 @ Texas LOSE
This line stinks to the high heavens. BYU has played an incredibly tough schedule and Texas is breaking in a new quarterback thanks to the Quinn Ewers injury, meaning it will probably take less risks on the offensive side of the ball. I know, I know, BYU got blown out by TCU and lost by double digits to Kansas too, but this number just feels too steep given Texas’s offensive lissues. Especially with BYU coming off a road win at Texas Tech. The Cougars don’t just prowl Sixth Street, they cover too.

SoCar @ A&M -14 LOSE
The Gamecocks, I think, will win three in a row before they take on Clemson the final week of the season. But first they have to play at Texas A&M where the Aggies have spent two weeks stewing over back-to-back losses to Alabama and Tennessee. The Aggies are strongest where the Gamecocks are weakest, the defensive line vs. the offensive line is not a good match up for South Carolina. A&M wins 35-14 and you get the cover.

Duke @ Ville UNDER 46.5 WIN
Neither team is explosive offensively and neither team has the ability to blow out the other. So what do we get? A monster defensive struggle in Louisville. The final is 17-13 and if you take the under, who cares who wins?

Georgia @ Florida +14.5 LOSE OVER 48.5 WIN
Okay, Gator fans, you’ve finally got it, I’m backing you in the Cocktail Party not to get blown out and to put some points on the board as well. This feels like a 35-24 style win for the Bulldogs, meaning I see both teams having some offensive success and the over going comfortably over. Get drunk for the cocktail party, as always, but not before you remember to get your bets in on the Gators and the over. When you win both bets, order jello shots in my honor.

Oregon @ Utah OVER 48.5 LOSE
Kyle Whittingham managed to completely flip the identity of the Utes to get the win at USC. From a defensive first team with no ability to move the football, suddenly Utah has decided they have to be able to score to win and they’ve changed the way they play. Meanwhile Oregon hasn’t been in a low scoring game against a quality team all season. The result? Not a shootout, but a game where at least one team gets to thirty. It feels like 31-27 Ducks is the final, giving you ten points to play with here, the over’s the right side.

Tenny -3.5 @ KY WIN
Yes, Kentucky is at home at night coming off a bye week and Tennessee is coming off a tough loss at Alabama, where it totally collapsed in the second half. But I just think the Vols are the better team at virtually every position group. Sometimes the better team loses, but rarely does the team that’s better at every position group lose. Kentucky was exposed by Georgia and Missouri, the Vols make it three SEC teams in a row with double-digit wins over the Cats. I’ve got the Vols by 10.

Ohio State @ Wisky +14.5 WIN
The Buckeyes got a big win at home against Penn State and now they travel to Wisconsin, where the Badgers have been up and down all season. In what figures to be a low scoring game, this feels like a pretty massive line. Give me Bucky the Badger for the cover.

Last edited:
I cannot put myself to the pain right now. Here it is. I will recap later

Bear was 1-3 week 8 and is Season: 16-24
Sidekick was 0-1 and around .500

Who playing qb for Kansas this week? And didn’t they upset Sooners recently? I’ll prob be looking at Sooners passing props (or the team total).

Jason Bean

Still no Daniels huh? I was thinking maybe he was close cause the fuckers wouidnt even rule him out from playing last game. Think it a back injury tho, tough to say w those. I think ku offense might struggle w Bean. This was a shootout last year, Sooners d way better now. Not sure ku can slow the offense down? Don’t like the dog but not sure I want to lay it either.

I played Hookies qb drones over passing yards. Think it was around 215ish
What are you thinking on Clemson/N C State? In the past N C State at home getting double digits with the kind of defense they have would be automatic for me, but this year's edition has been so bad on offense I have my doubts.

Stanford Steve—(4-6) (24-22) Three Year Record (103-79)
Maryland -13x
Cal +10x
Tennessee/Kentucky u 51
Washington -26x (says it’s an automatic bet against Stanford rest of the year)
Oregon/Utah u 47x
Georgia Florida o 49
Louisville -5x
BYU +20 (bet this one because the number has jumped to 20)
Gameday picks
Army -9x (still -10 with my guy)
Colorado State +14x
Cal +10 (he already picked that game with his regular picks)

The Bear—(1-3) (14-25) Three Year Record (98-89)
NC State team total UNDER 16.5
Longhorns -17.5
Georgia -14.5
TX State +6

Scott Van Pelt—(2-4) 31-36) Three Year Record (164-125)
Utah +6x
California +10x
Wisconsin +14x
UCLA -17
Georgia Tech +11x
Old Dominion +20x
Cincinnati +7
Arizona +3

Other Pickers:
Adam Kramer—(3-7) (37-35) (75-52)

Purdue +2x
Boise St -5x
Arizona +3x
Washington -26x
Charlotte/FAU o 41x
Rice +10x
UCF/W Virginia 0 59

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five—(3-2) (16-16) Three Year Record (94-100)
Dallas -6x 28-20
NY Giants +3 24-23
Washington +7 23-27
Houston -3x 31-23
Detroit -7x 33-23

My Picks— (1-1) (12-12) Teasers (7-8) Three Year Record (150-97)
Troy -4
Oklahoma -9x
Kentucky +3x
Kansas State -17
Oklahoma TT first half o 13x
Texas A&M second half -7
Teaser Wyoming/Florida, UCLA/Louisville, N C State/Nebraska, Army/TBD

Joe Fortenbaugh— (3-1) (14-13) Two Year Record (45-41)
Oregon/Utah o 47x
Georgia/Florida o 49

Last edited:
SVP Winners

Utah +6x
California +10x
Wisconsin +14x
UCLA -17
Georgia Tech +11x
Old Dominion +20x
Cincinnati +7
Arizona +3

Stanford Steve's pick is Maryland -13x.

I have Travis at 53-54-1 after week 8. He has himself at 54-54 (does not count pushes)
He was 2-6 Week 8.

OU @ Kansas +10
Kansas has had two weeks to get ready for Oklahoma after a tough loss to Oklahoma State and I think the Jayhawks — and I can’t believe I’m saying this — will perform well at home, potentially having a shot to beat Oklahoma down the stretch. And, yes, if I’m wrong, I’ll immediately know that when I typed in “Kansas schedule” and got the basketball schedule, I should have known better than to take the Jayhawks here. Rock, chalk, cover.

Indiana @ PSU -31.5
Pray for the Hoosiers. That’s all I can say. Yes, Penn State is coming off a tough loss to Ohio State when their offense didn’t show up, but all that tells me is that the Nittany Lions are going to pour points on Indiana. I mean just rain down points after points after points. I think Penn State goes for 45+. Meanwhile Indiana might not score.
A hellacious day is in store for Indiana, look out, and grab the Nittany Lions to cover by a bundle.

UVA+18.5 @ Miami
The Hurricanes got a huge win over Clemson and Virginia got a monster upset win over North Carolina. So what happens this week? Another tight game for both teams.
Miami hasn’t beaten a power five conference team by more than 15 points all year. (And that was Texas A&M all the way back in early September.)
Meanwhile UVa has been slowly improving the past three ACC games: with two consecutive losses by three to NC State and Boston College before the breakthrough win at North Carolina. I think we get another single digit loss on Saturday at Miami, the ‘Hoos cover.

BYU +17.5 @ Texas
This line stinks to the high heavens. BYU has played an incredibly tough schedule and Texas is breaking in a new quarterback thanks to the Quinn Ewers injury, meaning it will probably take less risks on the offensive side of the ball. I know, I know, BYU got blown out by TCU and lost by double digits to Kansas too, but this number just feels too steep given Texas’s offensive lissues. Especially with BYU coming off a road win at Texas Tech. The Cougars don’t just prowl Sixth Street, they cover too.

SoCar @ A&M -14
The Gamecocks, I think, will win three in a row before they take on Clemson the final week of the season. But first they have to play at Texas A&M where the Aggies have spent two weeks stewing over back-to-back losses to Alabama and Tennessee. The Aggies are strongest where the Gamecocks are weakest, the defensive line vs. the offensive line is not a good match up for South Carolina. A&M wins 35-14 and you get the cover.

Duke @ Ville UNDER 46.5
Neither team is explosive offensively and neither team has the ability to blow out the other. So what do we get? A monster defensive struggle in Louisville. The final is 17-13 and if you take the under, who cares who wins?

Georgia @ Florida +14.5 OVER 48.5
Okay, Gator fans, you’ve finally got it, I’m backing you in the Cocktail Party not to get blown out and to put some points on the board as well. This feels like a 35-24 style win for the Bulldogs, meaning I see both teams having some offensive success and the over going comfortably over. Get drunk for the cocktail party, as always, but not before you remember to get your bets in on the Gators and the over. When you win both bets, order jello shots in my honor.

Oregon @ Utah OVER 38.5
Kyle Whittingham managed to completely flip the identity of the Utes to get the win at USC. From a defensive first team with no ability to move the football, suddenly Utah has decided they have to be able to score to win and they’ve changed the way they play. Meanwhile Oregon hasn’t been in a low scoring game against a quality team all season. The result? Not a shootout, but a game where at least one team gets to thirty. It feels like 31-27 Ducks is the final, giving you ten points to play with here, the over’s the right side.

Tenny -3.5 @ KY
Yes, Kentucky is at home at night coming off a bye week and Tennessee is coming off a tough loss at Alabama, where it totally collapsed in the second half. But I just think the Vols are the better team at virtually every position group. Sometimes the better team loses, but rarely does the team that’s better at every position group lose. Kentucky was exposed by Georgia and Missouri, the Vols make it three SEC teams in a row with double-digit wins over the Cats. I’ve got the Vols by 10.

Ohio State @ Wisky +14.5
The Buckeyes got a big win at home against Penn State and now they travel to Wisconsin, where the Badgers have been up and down all season. In what figures to be a low scoring game, this feels like a pretty massive line. Give me Bucky the Badger for the cover.

Clay is always a good way to get a feel for public perception, if you care about that kind of thing. I for sure always second guess if I like a dog he played

Clay is always a good way to get a feel for public perception, if you care about that kind of thing. I for sure always second guess if I like a dog he played
I actually pay close to no attention to his selections except when I post them. I perhaps have some interest in his thoughts on Tennessee. While he's .500 for the season, he has been drifting downhill.

I cannot put myself to the pain right now. Here it is. I will recap later

Bear was 1-3 week 8 and is Season: 16-24
Sidekick was 0-1 and around .500
It is a dull program. However, some of the comments this week were interesting (maybe b/c they were confirmation bias for me on a few of the games).

Bear:
NC State team total UNDER 16.5:LOSE Bear cites Pack's lethargy on offense particularly agst ACC competition and his belief that Dabo can coach up the still good defense.
Longhorns -17.5:WIN Thinks Maalik Murphy will not really affect Texas' performance agst BYU and likes TX defense
Georgia -14.5:WIN Will get maximum effort from GA and talks about how some had criticized Kirby for not utilizing Bowers enuf in prior games. Evidently, Kirby has said this intentional b/c he wanted the whole team prepared to play and now he thinks it can pay off?
TX State +6: LOSE (I see +7 -120) Bear cites TXState's offense capabilities and their only 2 losses were to UTSA and Lousiana by relatively close margins. Troy has allowed only 10 total points in their last 3 games. But, with TXState's O they will keep it within the spread. Also notes that TXState can win this week and be bowl eligible. He did not mention that same can be said for Troy. Bear's selection is somewhat contrary to Powers' selection of Troy -4.5 in his non-power 5 selection Best Bet. Bobcats were one of my stronger leans and did not like Powers' selection since he's been good in his non-power 5 picks. May be fade material for everyone - I have taken Bobcats @+7 -120 for 1 Unit this a.m.

Sidekick Schwartz:
Arizona +3.5: WIN Gives some history of teams "coming to the desert at night to die." Thinks their defense is good and Beavers are susceptible to poorer play away from home. More fade material here, I too lean AZ but have not bet it yet. Maybe a play for me before the game starts or LIVE at some point.

Last edited:
What are you thinking on Clemson/N C State? In the past N C State at home getting double digits with the kind of defense they have would be automatic for me, but this year's edition has been so bad on offense I have my doubts.

Im not sure yet, kinda spent this week hanging out with wife. Been so busy between baseball playoffs, ncaa fb, and nfl I been neglecting her a bit so this seemed like good week to make up some time so im way behind. Gonna try to get a bunch done today.

Ncst been a huge fade team for me, mostly cause as you mentioned that offense is putrid, I didn’t think this system and Armstrong at qb was the answer. Think they made a qb change didn’t they? Not sure it matters the system is crap imo and clemson should have a pretty good idea how to defend it since it pretty much a knock off of cuse crappy offense! Have a hard time seeing ncst score points, even worse I think their defense has fallen off some!

Problem with backing clemson is I cant lay points w these clowns, they dominated the 1st half vs canes last week and somehow went into the half tied as they turned it over in scoring range multiple times in the 1st half!!! Still stings, clemson killed multiple parlays for me!! Worst part Is they were clearly the better damn team!! No way they shoulda lost that game!!

Anyways that all just off top my head, maybe when I dig deep later this evening I’ll come up with something!! As is that where I’m at, watching a movie with Theresa is what happening now!! After the movie she be asleep and I’ll get after it!!!

Im not sure yet, kinda spent this week hanging out with wife. Been so busy between baseball playoffs, ncaa fb, and nfl I been neglecting her a bit so this seemed like good week to make up some time so im way behind. Gonna try to get a bunch done today.

Ncst been a huge fade team for me, mostly cause as you mentioned that offense is putrid, I didn’t think this system and Armstrong at qb was the answer. Think they made a qb change didn’t they? Not sure it matters the system is crap imo and clemson should have a pretty good idea how to defend it since it pretty much a knock off of cuse crappy offense! Have a hard time seeing ncst score points, even worse I think their defense has fallen off some!

Problem with backing clemson is I cant lay points w these clowns, they dominated the 1st half vs canes last week and somehow went into the half tied as they turned it over in scoring range multiple times in the 1st half!!! Still stings, clemson killed multiple parlays for me!! Worst part Is they were clearly the better damn team!! No way they shoulda lost that game!!

Anyways that all just off top my head, maybe when I dig deep later this evening I’ll come up with something!! As is that where I’m at, watching a movie with Theresa is what happening now!! After the movie she be asleep and I’ll get after it!!!
I watched that Clemson/Miami game the first half and Clemson made more errors than I've ever seen them make. Turned the ball over on the Miami one-inch line once and turned it over two more times in the red zone. I have no idea what to expect from Clemson any more

Added picks for Stanford Steve:
Cal +10x
Tennessee/Kentucky u 51
Oregon/Utah u 47x
Georgia Florida o 49
Louisville -5x

Added more of my picks:
Kansas State -17
Oklahoma TT first half o 13x
Teasers: Wyoming/Florida, UCLA/Louisville, N C State/Nebraska

Last edited:
I watched that Clemson/Miami game the first half and Clemson made more errors than I've ever seen them make. Turned the ball over on the Miami one-inch line once and turned it over two more times in the red zone. I have no idea what to expect from Clemson any more

Yea, lots of scoring range turnovers, pretty big bummer!!!! Clemson has done that in basically all their loses, if you recall week 1 they had 3 straight drives inside 10 after half and no points. They outplayed noles and lost. Shoulda been up 24-7 on canes at half but instead it tied and they blow that game. Cost me several parlays, luckily I split w klubnick passing props at least. Im with you, they can play with anyone but they make so many mistakes, they like the chargers of the ncaa!! lol.

There just no way I can back ncst, just don’t think they can consistently move the ball. Sneaky duckers put the team total at 16.5, I was pretty sure I’d have played ncst tt u17.5. No such luck. Think it take clemson turnovers on ncst side the field for them to score 17, clemson usually waits to turn it over till they in scoring range! Lol.. just not sure I see a play here unless you trust ncst d then maybe under?

Added picks for Stanford Steve:
Cal +10x
Tennessee/Kentucky u 51
Oregon/Utah u 47x
Georgia Florida o 49
Louisville -5x

I don’t understand him liking ville here. Duke with points is very appealing to me. Did Leonard make it thru last week in good health? If he playing I love duke as dogs.

I don’t hate the cal play but I freaking love cal rb ott over 74.5 rush yards, no need to worry bout the spread imo. If ott doesn’t crush that number cal has no chance imo, should be a bunch of plays in this game, if ott doesn’t get 25+ carry’s I’d be shocked and think he could go for 150+!

I don’t understand him liking ville here. Duke with points is very appealing to me. Did Leonard make it thru last week in good health? If he playing I love duke as dogs.

I don’t hate the cal play but I freaking love cal rb ott over 74.5 rush yards, no need to worry bout the spread imo. If ott doesn’t crush that number cal has no chance imo, should be a bunch of plays in this game, if ott doesn’t get 25+ carry’s I’d be shocked and think he could go for 150+!
The line move on Louisville seems to be saying Leonard is out or will be very limited, imho.

Fair enough. I'm not betting this game, but am taking Ville -4' in my pools (pretty easy decision).

I think duke d will be a real problem for ville offense. That said how stupid was it for duke to play Leonard last week if now he hurt again/still? Can’t get over how redic it was for them to play him last week in a game they were most likely not gonna win especially if Leonard didn’t have the ability to move around?!!!??

My Selections
WEEK #8: 2-5
SEASON: 43-37

WEEK #9 - all for 1 unit
Oregon -6.5 WIN
VOLS -3.5 WIN
Vandy +24.5 LOSE
TX State +7 LOSE
OU TT OVER 37.5 -110 LOSE
KState -10 1H WIN
BostonColl -10.5 LIVE LOSE
A&M -7 2H LOSE

Last edited:
My Selections
WEEK #8: 2-5
SEASON: 43-37

WEEK #9 - all for 1 unit
Oregon -6.5
VOLS -3.5
Vandy +24.5
TX State +7

Really like the vols.

I just don’t think I can bet against utes at home. 27 straight If you throw out the no fans covid year which I do. Time after time my capping says play ducks or other top pac12 teams vs utes and time after time I lose! Whittingham might be best coach in the country? It’s crazy what he does with what he has!! They like the Harbaugh stanford teams w less talent! Lol. They always beat ducks also!! No way im playing utes cause I totally agree ducks should win by at least a td , im just staying far far away! Gl buddy

Really like the vols.

I just don’t think I can bet against utes at home. 27 straight If you throw out the no fans covid year which I do. Time after time my capping says play ducks or other top pac12 teams vs utes and time after time I lose! Whittingham might be best coach in the country? It’s crazy what he does with what he has!! They like the Harbaugh stanford teams w less talent! Lol. They always beat ducks also!! No way im playing utes cause I totally agree ducks should win by at least a td , im just staying far far away! Gl buddy
I actually agree with you. I really dislike my bet, but I am going contrarian.

Here is my thinking:
1.Ducks defense ain't USC. I watched that game and USC D might allow me to get a 15 yd run
2. Ducks offense is buttoned up and not disorganized mess USC is with Williams
3. Nix can hit the short passes or they can run, not predictable
4. Line is fishy to me...its too damn high, why?

I agree with you on Whittingham completely. This is one of those bets where I won't be upset if I lose.

Other wagers
Vols or nothing
Vandy should stay within the number and Ole Miss got bigger fish ahead
TX State - I liked their offense off the jump and see I am on opposite of most, including Powers

Are we 100% sure FLA can’t win? I’m warming up to the points and thinking about taking a half court shot there

Thoughts?
I did not bet GA. I actually do not think Gators can win...but stay within the number they can imo

Are we 100% sure FLA can’t win? I’m warming up to the points and thinking about taking a half court shot there

Thoughts?
I thought long and hard about Florida with those points. They covered last year when Georgia was better than they are this year and Florida was not as good. Passed so far and just took them on a teaser, but still considering them

Stanford Steve Gameday picks:
W Virginia +7
Army -9x (still -10 with my guy)
Colorado State +14x
Cal +10 (he already picked that game with his regular picks)

I like the Army pick and added it as a teaser with second team to be named later

Thoughts?

Gators make my head hurt. Had they not been so pathetic against uk I’d prob like them here but I just left alone. Without bowers no clue what Uga look like

Hoping Uga goes down to mizzou next week! They have the fire power to scare them and they get a bye, hopefully gators play a tough physical game today and give Uga all they can handle. Need all those big defensive tackles to show up, the ones who played vs vols not the ones who played vs uk and let Davis bump off them all like a pinball
And run for 200!!!

Can't get KY/GA game out of my head either
And a lot of other games where Georgia comes out on fire and the game is over half-way through the first quarter. That's why I'm holding off, but Georgia is not quite the monster away from the hedges so that's why I'm still pondering Florida

A&M -7 2H (i want to take it for 3 units...no guts)
Same here, I just took aTM -7 second half. Never know if aTm will sleep walk or go wild, but it looks to me like they finally woke up.

That lightening delay at Kansas has put the Oklahoma bet into limbo. They were just starting to roll when the officials stopped the game. Now anything is possible

Scores for past week.

Stanford Steve—(4-4) (28-26) Three Year Record (103-79)
Maryland -13x Lose
Cal +10x Win
Tennessee/Kentucky u 51 Lose
Washington -26x Lose
Oregon/Utah u 47x Win
Georgia Florida o 49 Win
Louisville -5x Win
BYU +20 Lose
Gameday Picks 2-2

W Virginia +7 Win
Army -9x Lose
Colorado State +14x Lose
Cal +10 (duplicate)

The Bear—(2-2) (16-27) Three Year Record (98-89)
NC State team total UNDER 16.5 Lose
Longhorns -17.5 Win
Georgia -14.5 Win
TX State +6 Lose

Scott Van Pelt—(4-4) (35-40) Three Year Record (164-125)

Utah +6x Lose
California +10x Win
Wisconsin +14x Lose
UCLA -17 Lose
Georgia Tech +11x Win
Old Dominion +20x Win
Cincinnati +7 Lose
Arizona +3 Win

Other Pickers:
Adam Kramer—(5-2) (42-37) (75-52)

Purdue +2x Lose
Boise St -5x Win
Arizona +3x Win
Washington -26x Lose
Charlotte/FAU o 41x Win
Rice +10x Win
UCF/W Virginia 0 59 Win

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five—(2-1) (18-17) Three Year Record (94-100)

Dallas -6x Win
NY Giants +3 Tie
Washington +7 Tie
Houston -3x Lose
Detroit -7x Win

My Picks— (3-3) (15-15) Teasers (3-2) (10-10) Three Year Record (150-97)

Troy -4 Win
Oklahoma -9x Lose
Kentucky +3x Lose
Kansas State -17 Win
Oklahoma TT first half o 13x Win
Texas A&M second half -7 Lose
Teaser Wyoming/Florida L, UCLA/Louisville W, N C State/Nebraska W, OleMiss/Okla State W, Army/tbd L

Joe Fortenbaugh— (2-2) (16-15) Two Year Record (45-41)

Oregon/Utah o 47x Lose
Kentucky +3x Lose
Troy -6x Win
Georgia/Florida o 49 Win

Back