ESPN's Handicappers Picks Week #13

Status
Not open for further replies.

bones

We Must Protect Our Democracy

Going to have to just give a quick synopsis based on mostly recall and some notes of BTB. They were 2-0 last week on Michigam State and ODU.

I have updated all records of BTB, Bear, Clay Travis after last week's results. I will transport records into this thread later. I was 4-4. One thing that definitely would have been a winner was fading Travis after week #1 and both he and Bear all season.

WEEK 12:1-0
POWERS: 1-0
SEASON: 8-4
Powers: 7-2 last 9 weeks

Here we go Week #13
Best Bet:
Nebraska on ML -130 LOSE

Powers Non Power 5 Ball State WIN

Friday Games:

AF @ Boise -6.5/46.5

Boise must win and UNLV wins for Boise to 100% get in MWC championship. Boise State coach, Avalaos, let go last week.
AF wins and UNLV wins then its UNLV-AF champioship game. AF win and UNLV loses then could have a 3 way tie and computers determine stuff.

Teams are trending in opposite direction. AF power ranking is lowest its been all year. Larriar out again and fullback out again. Blew 17 pt lead last week. Boise blew out Utah State last week. Boise is highest its been since October. Powers made the line Boise -6. AF injuries and last 3 losses say lean Boise. Players on Boise are praising the interim head coach after Avalos fired. Green at QB is 6'5" and can run.

Oregon State @ Oregon -13.5/62
127th meeting. Beavers not won at Oregon since 2007 double overtime. Oregon win and go to championship game. Beavers not as good on the road. They are 17-7 ATS last 2 years. Ducks 8-2-1 ATS this year.

We know DJU is Beaver QB (reason enuf for me not to bet Beavers). Brad questions Beavers ability to move ball agst Ducks defense. Last week was an example. Beavers were not able to run agst best 3 defenses they have faced. Beavers are best on defense, not offense. DJU is not a good enought QB to lead this team to a comeback, 57% completion rate. Powers would make GA-3 in National Champioship vs Ducks.

Ducks offense is great...stats cited. YAC is good for receivers. Beavers give up lot of points. Payne does not understand "early week OreSt money." Weather helped Beavers last week. OregonState lost to Wazzu in Pullman and taken to brink by Cal and lost to AZ and performed below expectation in Colorado. Ducks O line creates run yards. Beavers 2dary below average except last week in the weather. Nix throws short and receivers get YAC - OreState rated very poorly in tackling.

UTSA @ Tulane -3.5/52
Tulane wins and goes to conference champioship game. Willie Fritz may be heading out after season? Good coaching match up Traylor vs Fritz. Good QBs Harris vs Pratt. Tulane's only loss is to Ole Miss w/o Pratt (I watched that game and Tulane never seemed out of it as I recall). UTSA 7-0 and 5-1-1 ATS last 7 with Harris. Tulane is "one of best playing under the total." All 7 of the last teams UTSA beat have losing records. Combined record is 27-50. Major step up on the road here. Powers bet UTSA at +4 but sees why others have taken Tulkane -3. Payne says "indecision due to price." Something has looked "off" with Tulane this year. Biggest factor is the ability to protect Harris and Tulane inability to get to passer. Harris can get rid of ball quickly and has good receivers. Likes TE of UTSA but he looks "out" for now. UTSA has a step up in class here. Payne has "somewhat cooled" on UTSA after all said.

Saturday Games:

OhioState @ Michigan -3.5/46.5

Michigan has not won consecutive home games agst OSU since 97/99. Been since 95-97 they won 3 straight agst OSU. Both teams hold teams to single digits and they are #1&2 on scoring defense. All good re both defenses. Powers says Michigan has looked "clunky" w/o Harbaugh on sidelines and he's adjusted power rating .5-1 point.

OSU offense vs Michigan defense. Edge to defense per Powers. Not sold yet on McCord. He explains reasons which include #1: he threw an int that was dropped by ND late in game allows OSU to win and #2: Penn State got defensive TD called back by PSU penalty. These outcomes not reflected in their record. Loves Henderson a lot at RB for OSU and he makes a difference re OSU offense. Marvin Harrison will game plan for him and Stover at TE may well be featured. OL for OSU is some concern for Powers agast Micigan D front. He did downgrade Michigan after last week but it was not due to Michigan D. "This is the best Offense Michigan has faced all season."

Payne on Michigan Offense vs OSU Defense. Injury to McCarthy? And concerns re O line being nicked up. McCarthy only attempted one pass 2nd half agst PSU and McCarthy was hurt last week and did not look same, completion rate of 52% agst MD who's pass D is outside the top 70. Last 6 qtrs he's completed 6 passes. This feels like a different match up from last year...OSU defense is now in year 2 of Jim Noles defense. The D is in top 10 of every defensive metric now and last year was top 25ish. Michigan O last year was better, This year the Mich O line is outside the top 30 in line yds created and Corum is not as "bursty" after knee surgery and Edwards is avg less than 1 yd per rush until first contact. Payne sounds discouraged re Michigan O getting the explosives they got last year. "If you asked me 3 weeks ago I would have died to lay -3 with Michigan...I have not bet OSU and not sure I ever get there. But, my vibe has completly changed over last 3 weeks."

Discussing the total = 9 straight overs in this game. First time total has been in 40s since 2017. Powers leans Under. Payne thinks the "The total from a core perspective is 5 points short. But, you could not pay me to bet this OVER."

FSU @ Florida +6.5/50

Two 2nd string QBs. Tate Rodemaker for FSU and redshirt frehman Max Brown for Gators. Powers thinks line adjustement is correct. He wanted to bet the Under, and did, but not one of his favorite bets of the week. Powers "Obviously downgraded FSU more than Florida due to the back-up QBs." Rodemaker was Norvel's 1st recruit at FSU. Florida defense has allowed 33+ in 5 straight games.

Payne: Rodemaker is 4th year junior with "straight line speed and son of a coach...straight line he is faster than Jordan Travis." Big arm with long release, HS Player of Year in GA. He turned wrong way twice last week to hand the ball off. Vastly improved from 21 and 22 "when defenders were nick-naming him 'Pick Six Tate'." Expect to see RPO game where he is comfortable. O line injury for FSU is significant. Florida is outside top 100 in explosive pass play defense and Rotemaker has stronger arm than Travis. Rotemaker was HS teammate of Jaheim Bell FSU's TE. Florida has O line issues re injury too. FSU biggest weakness is QB runs and is a concern with Brown. Naper loves wide receiver screen game and FSU's best tackling corner, Green, left last week's game and has been seen with arm in a sling and a concern. Payne is FSU fan and says "You could not pay me to lay it here. But, FSU is resiliant group...when fully healthy they are a 6-10 ranked team range. This is a work ethic team...not elite difference makers. Practice been intense and firey."

Non-Power 5 game pick by Powers.
Ball State +6.5 at home vs Miami of Ohio. (the line appears gone to me)

San Jose State @ UNLV -2.5/59.5
UNLV wins and hosts the MWC Champioship. If UNLV loses and AF wins "it goes to computers." If San Jose wins then it goes to "composite computer rankings" btw San Jose, UNLV and AF (if they win). Long story short Powers has upgraded UNLV more than any team in country. Also upgraded SJST more than a touchdown."I am part of the San Jose State money here." List SJST's schedule, stats and experience of Cordiero at QB for SJST.

Wazzu @ Washington -16/68
115th edition of Apple Cup. UDUB won 8 0f last 9 and last year 51-33. Cougars won in Seattle last time in 2021. Last 7 wins for UDUB have been by 10 or fewer points. WAZZU stopped a 6 game skid with last week's win over Colorado. Is Dillon Johnson,RB for Huskies, going to be available? He's significant for their offense and people do not realize it. WAZZU interior defense is vulnerable too. X factor in game is the run game, WAZZU defense is strongest in 2dary. "Our core numbers believed when line was -14 it was a little bit short. We think you are going to get the WAZZU team that started out this season. Washington is in the position here where style points are irrelevant, Win out and you're in. They don't need to win by margin. They have been thru a gauntlant....I have stayed off the game. My core number is -18 or 19....I can tell you some very sharp money on WAZZU." Powers essentially agreed with all this too. "Edge to Cougars...gut tells me WAZZU here."

BAMA @ Auburn +14.5/49

Not going to go into any detail. All edges go to Bama. Bama O line is getting better. Payne: "Do I want to lay more than 14 with Bama in the Iron Bowl considering Hugh Freeze's record agst spread/Saban (?). Not really." His only thought is maybe Auburn hits some explosives. He thinks that you are theading the needle here for Auburn and margin for success is "razor thin." Powers was of the opinion "Lay anything under 14 and take 17. I doubt we ever get to a price where I have a bet on the game."

Last edited:
Me:
WEEK 12: 4-4
SEASON: 59-52-1

Took a teaser with Ole Miss -4/LSU-5.5/KY&Ville Under 56.5/Clemson -1 pays just a little over 2:1 but keeps me interested in some games I am not betting on but want to watch

Week #13:
Ole Miss -10 2 Units -110 PUSH (whew)
I have watched a good amount of both teams this year and took this w/o hesitation if that's worth anything. Shud be an ass whopping imo. See line now @ 10.5. Go watch MST games agst Western Michigan, Arkansas, KY and A&M and tell me you think 10 is enuf here.
Oregon -13.5 1.5 Units -110 WIN Ducks @ home with everything to play for vs DJU. Come on man
San Jose State +2.5 1 Unit -110 WIN Tail of Powers at BTB. He's done great. I have watched a little of both teams. Thought his comments abt SJSU QB good enuf for me
Florida +6.5 1 Unit -110 LOSE Rivalry at home with injured Travis. Not fully confident, but confident enuf.
Clemson -7 1 Unit -110 WIN I must be missing something with SCarolina, but I will pay to see it. Now line is @7.5
Iowa ML +135 1 Unit WIN
Over 53 in Tech vs Texas
1 Unit -110 WIN
Ducks -6 2H -125 WIN
Bama -13 2 units -110 LOSE
LSU -12 1 unit -110 PUSH
Under 63.3 in LSU Live LOSE
Over 31.5 2H in LSU WIN
Bama TT OVER 14.5 2H LOSE ( put my winnings from the week on it....what happened on the pick 6?)

Had to do it. My favorite handicapper

1700728131536.png

Last edited:
Clay Travis
WEEK 12: 2-11
SEASON: 75-87-1
He has his record at 67-79 so I must have screwed up somewhere.
Whatever, he has been fade material. Honestly, I pay zero attention to his picks. Sadly, I agree with him on Oregon and Florida it seems.

Ole Miss @ MissState OVER 55.5 LOSE
Every Lane Kiffin game goes over. And without a coach, Mississippi State is going out guns blazing on what has been a difficult season for the Bulldogs. Egg Bowl over, let’s get the mojo working back in our favor early.

Iowa @ Nebraska UNDER 27 WIN
Last week I took the over in Illinois-Iowa and it burned me. This week I’m retreating to safer waters and going back on Hawkeye unders. All Iowa does is hit unders and make corn.

Mizzu @ Arkansas OVER 54.5 WIN
Tap the veins, boys and girls, this is my blood bank guarantee for the week. Mizzou nearly lost to Florida because other than Tennessee it hasn’t stopped anyone all season and Arkansas is just the equivalent of a sloppy drunk in a fight right now. It might nail you with a haymaker or they might swing, miss, fall down and knock itself out.
You just have no idea what you’re going to get. Except points, lots of points. Either Arkansas will win this game something like 38-35 or Mizzou will win 45-20. But either way the over hits and the blood bank guarantee cashes.

PSU @ MichiganState UNDER 42.5 WIN
Penn State will choke out Michigan State in a Friday night game that’s going to leave every Spartan fan wondering why they wasted an off day at work to watch in person.
The final score will be something like 24-6 and Penn State will officially lock in the most disappointing 10-2 season in college football history. Meanwhile all but about six fan bases in the country would kill for this record. Which is why, I’m just saying, depending on what jobs come open, it wouldn’t shock me to see James Franklin looking around. But first the under hits Friday.

OregonState @ Oregon -13.5 WIN
Oregon can win multiple ways, Oregon State can’t. And this game is a track meet that the Ducks set early. Give me Oregon by 21+ in a game I’ll always call the Civil War.

OhioSt @ MI -3.5 WIN
Michigan hasn’t looked as good as it did to start the season against Purdue, Penn State and Maryland. Maybe that’s because the sign stealing really did give the Wolverines a massive advantage. But I tend to think it’s partially because this game has been looming on the horizon and it’s hard to get as fired up for anyone else.
In what promises to be an electric Big House, I just don’t think Ohio State has the quarterback play to win a game like this. Which means Michigan wins for a third straight year and sets tongues wagging in advance of the Big Ten title game.

A&M @ LSU OVER 66.5 WIN
LSU is going to do whatever it can to win Jayden Daniels the Heisman Trophy because what else do the Tigers have left to play for this season? What’s that mean? Tons of possessions and a fast pace. LSU is going to force A&M to score or punt in a hurry. I’m betting the Aggies oblige and we get a track meet, sending the points soaring.

KY @ Ville UNDER 50.5 LOSE
Remember when Kentucky was 5-0 about seven weeks ago? And Wildcat fans were convinced they could give Georgia a game in Athens? Yeah, since that time Kentucky is 1-5 and the only win was against a Mississippi State team that basically didn’t have a quarterback.Now comes Louisville, where Kentucky is playing the role of spoiler. Only it’s not even that much of a spoiler because Louisville is already 10-1 and playing for the ACC title against Florida State no matter what happens in this game. I don’t think Mark Stoops can win a shootout, so I expect a defensive struggle, 21-17 Louisville is the final, which means the under hits by double digits.

Colorado @ Utah -21.5 LOSE
When one team has quit on the season, you bet on the team that hasn’t quit on the season. And that’s Utah. The Utes finish up a disappointing 8-4 season with a blowout win over the last place Buffaloes.

Vandy +27 @ Tenny WIN
Vanderbilt is bad. Really bad. But Tennessee has been outscored 74-17 the past two weeks. I don’t think the Vols will lose this game — again, Vanderbilt is bad — but Tennessee hasn’t beaten anyone in the SEC by this margin all year. In fact, here are the margins in Tennessee’s three SEC wins: 21, 7, and 6. Plus, Vanderbilt is coming off the bye week. The Dores cover.

Bama @ Auburn +15 WIN
I’ve seen too many crazy things happen in Jordan-Hare to put it past Auburn to make this a game in the fourth quarter. Yes, even with Auburn coming off a 21 point home loss to New Mexico State. If anything, that makes me expect things to be even wackier than I expected. Auburn loses by two touchdowns or less to get you an Iron Bowl cover.

Clemson @ Scary +7.5 LOSE
It’s a November to remember in Columbia! But this is the least interesting Clemson-South Carolina game, nearly, in the entire 21st century. The Cocks are trying to get bowl eligible and they make it a field goal game on Saturday.

FSU @ Florida +6.5 LOSE
The top eight teams keep winning, I know. But sooner or later an upset has to happen. With quarterbacks out on both sides, I like the Gators and the home crowd getting the cover and the outright win. But take the points just to be safe.

Last edited:
Bear Pod (will get to sometime Thursday a.m.)
SEASON: 28-36
SIDEKICK: 2-1 last 3 weeks

WEEK #13 Bear Picks:
UTSA +4 @Tulane LOSE
UNC @ NCST +2.5 WIN
Memphis @ Temple +11.5 LOSE
TCU +10
@ OU LOSE
BEST BET: Boston College +9.5 and he took +290 ML LOSE

Sidekick
(I know his name is Schwartz and I apologize but I dislike the guy as a podcaster, he's a nice guy)
Arizona -10 @ AZST WIN

Last edited:
I like your plays this week. I'm already on all of them. Probably just watching SJSU/UNLV. Both have been good to me this year. I can't see an edge.

Love this thread every week. Thanks for the all the time and efforts in it. I love BTB podcast but was near 3 hours this week so I just cheated and read your synopsis.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Bear Pod is now up.

Interestingly (for me),I actually enjoy the 2 group chat guys more than Bear&Schwartz. I listened to the Group Chat in the truck for first time in a long time about 3 weeks ago. Now if I am driving around and have time I listen to it but did not do so this week. If Schwartz was off the pod it would be better imo. Bear not as good w/o Stanford Steve bantering with him.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Bear Pod is now up.

Interestingly (for me),I actually enjoy the 2 group chat guys more than Bear&Schwartz. I listened to the Group Chat in the truck for first time in a long time about 3 weeks ago. Now if I am driving around and have time I listen to it but did not do so this week. If Schwartz was off the pod it would be better imo. Bear not as good w/o Stanford Steve bantering with him.
Honestly haven't listened to this since like week 4. Miss Bear and Stanford Steve together. Maybe I should give these guys more of a shot, but just not feeling it. Maybe next year.

Clay Travis
Whatever, he has been fade material. Honestly, I pay zero attention to his picks. Sadly, I agree with him on Oregon and Florida it seems.

Ole Miss @ MissState OVER 55.5
Every Lane Kiffin game goes over. And without a coach, Mississippi State is going out guns blazing on what has been a difficult season for the Bulldogs. Egg Bowl over, let’s get the mojo working back in our favor early.

Iowa @ Nebraska UNDER 27
Last week I took the over in Illinois-Iowa and it burned me. This week I’m retreating to safer waters and going back on Hawkeye unders. All Iowa does is hit unders and make corn.

Mizzu @ Arkansas OVER 54.5
Tap the veins, boys and girls, this is my blood bank guarantee for the week. Mizzou nearly lost to Florida because other than Tennessee it hasn’t stopped anyone all season and Arkansas is just the equivalent of a sloppy drunk in a fight right now. It might nail you with a haymaker or they might swing, miss, fall down and knock itself out.
You just have no idea what you’re going to get. Except points, lots of points. Either Arkansas will win this game something like 38-35 or Mizzou will win 45-20. But either way the over hits and the blood bank guarantee cashes.

PSU @ MichiganState UNDER 42.5
Penn State will choke out Michigan State in a Friday night game that’s going to leave every Spartan fan wondering why they wasted an off day at work to watch in person.
The final score will be something like 24-6 and Penn State will officially lock in the most disappointing 10-2 season in college football history. Meanwhile all but about six fan bases in the country would kill for this record. Which is why, I’m just saying, depending on what jobs come open, it wouldn’t shock me to see James Franklin looking around. But first the under hits Friday.

OregonState @ Oregon -13.5
Oregon can win multiple ways, Oregon State can’t. And this game is a track meet that the Ducks set early. Give me Oregon by 21+ in a game I’ll always call the Civil War.

OhioSt @ MI -3.5
Michigan hasn’t looked as good as it did to start the season against Purdue, Penn State and Maryland. Maybe that’s because the sign stealing really did give the Wolverines a massive advantage. But I tend to think it’s partially because this game has been looming on the horizon and it’s hard to get as fired up for anyone else.
In what promises to be an electric Big House, I just don’t think Ohio State has the quarterback play to win a game like this. Which means Michigan wins for a third straight year and sets tongues wagging in advance of the Big Ten title game.

A&M @ LSU OVER 66.5
LSU is going to do whatever it can to win Jayden Daniels the Heisman Trophy because what else do the Tigers have left to play for this season? What’s that mean? Tons of possessions and a fast pace. LSU is going to force A&M to score or punt in a hurry. I’m betting the Aggies oblige and we get a track meet, sending the points soaring.

KY @ Ville UNDER 50.5
Remember when Kentucky was 5-0 about seven weeks ago? And Wildcat fans were convinced they could give Georgia a game in Athens? Yeah, since that time Kentucky is 1-5 and the only win was against a Mississippi State team that basically didn’t have a quarterback.Now comes Louisville, where Kentucky is playing the role of spoiler. Only it’s not even that much of a spoiler because Louisville is already 10-1 and playing for the ACC title against Florida State no matter what happens in this game. I don’t think Mark Stoops can win a shootout, so I expect a defensive struggle, 21-17 Louisville is the final, which means the under hits by double digits.

Colorado @ Utah -21.5
When one team has quit on the season, you bet on the team that hasn’t quit on the season. And that’s Utah. The Utes finish up a disappointing 8-4 season with a blowout win over the last place Buffaloes.

Vandy +27 @ Tenny
Vanderbilt is bad. Really bad. But Tennessee has been outscored 74-17 the past two weeks. I don’t think the Vols will lose this game — again, Vanderbilt is bad — but Tennessee hasn’t beaten anyone in the SEC by this margin all year. In fact, here are the margins in Tennessee’s three SEC wins: 21, 7, and 6. Plus, Vanderbilt is coming off the bye week. The Dores cover.

Bama @ Auburn +15
I’ve seen too many crazy things happen in Jordan-Hare to put it past Auburn to make this a game in the fourth quarter. Yes, even with Auburn coming off a 21 point home loss to New Mexico State. If anything, that makes me expect things to be even wackier than I expected. Auburn loses by two touchdowns or less to get you an Iron Bowl cover.

Clemson @ Scary +7.5
It’s a November to remember in Columbia! But this is the least interesting Clemson-South Carolina game, nearly, in the entire 21st century. The Cocks are trying to get bowl eligible and they make it a field goal game on Saturday.

FSU @ Florida +6.5
The top eight teams keep winning, I know. But sooner or later an upset has to happen. With quarterbacks out on both sides, I like the Gators and the home crowd getting the cover and the outright win. But take the points just to be safe.

Clay had to keep picking against Alabama after he declared that Tennessee has pulled even with them as a program and guaranteeing a win next season. Keep shooting Clay

Like your plays this week, Bones. Haven't had time to handicap, but those look good on first glance.

Not sure how many of the guys I'm keeping track of will even have picks this week, but if I find them I'll post them

Stanford Steve—(1-7) (37-39) Three Year Record (103-79)

The Bear—(4-3) (26-36) Three Year Record (98-89)

Scott Van Pelt—(5-5) (47-53) Three Year Record (164-125)

TCU +9x
Ark +9
Ky +7x
Ariz St +11
Aub +13
Fla +6x
Ga Tech +24
Cinc +7
Nevada +11

Other Pickers:
Adam Kramer—(4-6) (54-53) (75-52)

Nebraska -2x
Arkansas +7x
Boise State -6x
LSU/aTm o 66
Arizona St +10x
Illinois -5x
Cincinnati +6
San Jose State +3
UCLA/Cal o 52

Colin Cowherd Blazing Five—(4-1) (36-33) Three Year Record (94-100)

My Picks— (0-2) (19-18) Teasers (4-0) (19-13) Three Year Record (150-97)

Teaser: Dallas/49ers
Added teaser Ole Miss/TBD (line for Ole Miss was -10)
Added Teaser: BC/TBD

Added teasers: Iowa to BC teaser so:
Ole Miss/TBD
Iowa/BC,
Iowa/Missouri
UTSA/Boise St
Texas/Oregon
Added UNLV to Ole Miss/TBD teaseer
Ole Miss/UNLV

Joe Fortenbaugh— (2-1) (21-19) Two Year Record (45-41)

Last edited:
Based on this post by @Grovehard in SEC thread, I backed off of the 3 units on Ole Miss....took it back to 2 Units -10

Sounds like Ole Miss isn’t getting the guys back on the OL. No play for me. I still think Ole Miss wins but I’m not willing to lay over 10 with a makeshift unit up front.

Added teasers: Iowa to BC teaser so:
Ole Miss/TBD
Iowa/BC,
Iowa/Missouri
UTSA/Boise St
Texas/Oregon

The party is just getting started so no way I get up in time to handicap any Friday games, so I'll just play teasers

No Colin Blazin' 5. But, he and Millman offered us several picks in Sharp or Square video. He already lost the first two.

1. Lions -7.5
  2. Commanders +12.5
  3. Colts -2.5
  4. Bills +3
  5. Ravens -3.5
  6. AZ Cards +1
  7. Saints +1.5
They also discuss THE GAME. Millman likes TTUN at -3.5. Colin is a stay away, since Harbaugh isn't on the sideline.

Adding Bama -13 2 units -110.

We have seen tonight the motivation and skill the 1 loss teams of Texas and Oregon have to not just win but perform. I also heard a rumor that Bama's coach is good and has experience in these type of games.

BTB
BAMA @ Auburn +14.5/49
Not going to go into any detail. All edges go to Bama. Bama O line is getting better. Payne: "Do I want to lay more than 14 with Bama in the Iron Bowl considering Hugh Freeze's record agst spread/Saban (?). Not really." His only thought is maybe Auburn hits some explosives. He thinks that you are theading the needle here for Auburn and margin for success is "razor thin." Powers was of the opinion "Lay anything under 14 and take 17. I doubt we ever get to a price where I have a bet on the game."
Bumping this too.., may be worth a consideration for those who value these guys' opinions. I do.

But, I also did go agst their Best Bet of the week today and won.

Going to have to just give a quick synopsis based on mostly recall and some notes of BTB. They were 2-0 last week on Michigam State and ODU.

I have updated all records of BTB, Bear, Clay Travis after last week's results. I will transport records into this thread later. I was 4-4. One thing that definitely would have been a winner was fading Travis after week #1 and both he and Bear all season.

WEEK 12:1-0
POWERS: 1-0
SEASON: 8-4
Powers: 7-2 last 9 weeks

Here we go Week #13
Best Bet:
Nebraska on ML -130 LOSE

Powers Non Power 5 Ball State WIN

Friday Games:

AF @ Boise -6.5/46.5

Boise must win and UNLV wins for Boise to 100% get in MWC championship. Boise State coach, Avalaos, let go last week.
AF wins and UNLV wins then its UNLV-AF champioship game. AF win and UNLV loses then could have a 3 way tie and computers determine stuff.

Teams are trending in opposite direction. AF power ranking is lowest its been all year. Larriar out again and fullback out again. Blew 17 pt lead last week. Boise blew out Utah State last week. Boise is highest its been since October. Powers made the line Boise -6. AF injuries and last 3 losses say lean Boise. Players on Boise are praising the interim head coach after Avalos fired. Green at QB is 6'5" and can run.

Oregon State @ Oregon -13.5/62
127th meeting. Beavers not won at Oregon since 2007 double overtime. Oregon win and go to championship game. Beavers not as good on the road. They are 17-7 ATS last 2 years. Ducks 8-2-1 ATS this year.

We know DJU is Beaver QB (reason enuf for me not to bet Beavers). Brad questions Beavers ability to move ball agst Ducks defense. Last week was an example. Beavers were not able to run agst best 3 defenses they have faced. Beavers are best on defense, not offense. DJU is not a good enought QB to lead this team to a comeback, 57% completion rate. Powers would make GA-3 in National Champioship vs Ducks.

Ducks offense is great...stats cited. YAC is good for receivers. Beavers give up lot of points. Payne does not understand "early week OreSt money." Weather helped Beavers last week. OregonState lost to Wazzu in Pullman and taken to brink by Cal and lost to AZ and performed below expectation in Colorado. Ducks O line creates run yards. Beavers 2dary below average except last week in the weather. Nix throws short and receivers get YAC - OreState rated very poorly in tackling.

UTSA @ Tulane -3.5/52
Tulane wins and goes to conference champioship game. Willie Fritz may be heading out after season? Good coaching match up Traylor vs Fritz. Good QBs Harris vs Pratt. Tulane's only loss is to Ole Miss w/o Pratt (I watched that game and Tulane never seemed out of it as I recall). UTSA 7-0 and 5-1-1 ATS last 7 with Harris. Tulane is "one of best playing under the total." All 7 of the last teams UTSA beat have losing records. Combined record is 27-50. Major step up on the road here. Powers bet UTSA at +4 but sees why others have taken Tulkane -3. Payne says "indecision due to price." Something has looked "off" with Tulane this year. Biggest factor is the ability to protect Harris and Tulane inability to get to passer. Harris can get rid of ball quickly and has good receivers. Likes TE of UTSA but he looks "out" for now. UTSA has a step up in class here. Payne has "somewhat cooled" on UTSA after all said.

Saturday Games:

OhioState @ Michigan -3.5/46.5

Michigan has not won consecutive home games agst OSU since 97/99. Been since 95-97 they won 3 straight agst OSU. Both teams hold teams to single digits and they are #1&2 on scoring defense. All good re both defenses. Powers says Michigan has looked "clunky" w/o Harbaugh on sidelines and he's adjusted power rating .5-1 point.

OSU offense vs Michigan defense. Edge to defense per Powers. Not sold yet on McCord. He explains reasons which include #1: he threw an int that was dropped by ND late in game allows OSU to win and #2: Penn State got defensive TD called back by PSU penalty. These outcomes not reflected in their record. Loves Henderson a lot at RB for OSU and he makes a difference re OSU offense. Marvin Harrison will game plan for him and Stover at TE may well be featured. OL for OSU is some concern for Powers agast Micigan D front. He did downgrade Michigan after last week but it was not due to Michigan D. "This is the best Offense Michigan has faced all season."

Payne on Michigan Offense vs OSU Defense. Injury to McCarthy? And concerns re O line being nicked up. McCarthy only attempted one pass 2nd half agst PSU and McCarthy was hurt last week and did not look same, completion rate of 52% agst MD who's pass D is outside the top 70. Last 6 qtrs he's completed 6 passes. This feels like a different match up from last year...OSU defense is now in year 2 of Jim Noles defense. The D is in top 10 of every defensive metric now and last year was top 25ish. Michigan O last year was better, This year the Mich O line is outside the top 30 in line yds created and Corum is not as "bursty" after knee surgery and Edwards is avg less than 1 yd per rush until first contact. Payne sounds discouraged re Michigan O getting the explosives they got last year. "If you asked me 3 weeks ago I would have died to lay -3 with Michigan...I have not bet OSU and not sure I ever get there. But, my vibe has completly changed over last 3 weeks."

Discussing the total = 9 straight overs in this game. First time total has been in 40s since 2017. Powers leans Under. Payne thinks the "The total from a core perspective is 5 points short. But, you could not pay me to bet this OVER."

FSU @ Florida +6.5/50

Two 2nd string QBs. Tate Rodemaker for FSU and redshirt frehman Max Brown for Gators. Powers thinks line adjustement is correct. He wanted to bet the Under, and did, but not one of his favorite bets of the week. Powers "Obviously downgraded FSU more than Florida due to the back-up QBs." Rodemaker was Norvel's 1st recruit at FSU. Florida defense has allowed 33+ in 5 straight games.

Payne: Rodemaker is 4th year junior with "straight line speed and son of a coach...straight line he is faster than Jordan Travis." Big arm with long release, HS Player of Year in GA. He turned wrong way twice last week to hand the ball off. Vastly improved from 21 and 22 "when defenders were nick-naming him 'Pick Six Tate'." Expect to see RPO game where he is comfortable. O line injury for FSU is significant. Florida is outside top 100 in explosive pass play defense and Rotemaker has stronger arm than Travis. Rotemaker was HS teammate of Jaheim Bell FSU's TE. Florida has O line issues re injury too. FSU biggest weakness is QB runs and is a concern with Brown. Naper loves wide receiver screen game and FSU's best tackling corner, Green, left last week's game and has been seen with arm in a sling and a concern. Payne is FSU fan and says "You could not pay me to lay it here. But, FSU is resiliant group...when fully healthy they are a 6-10 ranked team range. This is a work ethic team...not elite difference makers. Practice been intense and firey."

Non-Power 5 game pick by Powers.
Ball State +6.5 at home vs Miami of Ohio. (the line appears gone to me)

San Jose State @ UNLV -2.5/59.5
UNLV wins and hosts the MWC Champioship. If UNLV loses and AF wins "it goes to computers." If San Jose wins then it goes to "composite computer rankings" btw San Jose, UNLV and AF (if they win). Long story short Powers has upgraded UNLV more than any team in country. Also upgraded SJST more than a touchdown."I am part of the San Jose State money here." List SJST's schedule, stats and experience of Cordiero at QB for SJST.

Wazzu @ Washington -16/68
115th edition of Apple Cup. UDUB won 8 0f last 9 and last year 51-33. Cougars won in Seattle last time in 2021. Last 7 wins for UDUB have been by 10 or fewer points. WAZZU stopped a 6 game skid with last week's win over Colorado. Is Dillon Johnson,RB for Huskies, going to be available? He's significant for their offense and people do not realize it. WAZZU interior defense is vulnerable too. X factor in game is the run game, WAZZU defense is strongest in 2dary. "Our core numbers believed when line was -14 it was a little bit short. We think you are going to get the WAZZU team that started out this season. Washington is in the position here where style points are irrelevant, Win out and you're in. They don't need to win by margin. They have been thru a gauntlant....I have stayed off the game. My core number is -18 or 19....I can tell you some very sharp money on WAZZU." Powers essentially agreed with all this too. "Edge to Cougars...gut tells me WAZZU here."

BAMA @ Auburn +14.5/49

WEEK 13: 0-1
SEASON: 8-5
Powers WEEK 13: 2-0 and 9-2 last 10 weeks

BTB: LOST on Nebraska ML. Powers official pick of Ball State WON. He also told us he bet San Jose State WON

Bear Pod (will get to sometime Thursday a.m.)
SEASON: 28-36
SIDEKICK: 2-1 last 3 weeks

WEEK #13 Bear Picks:
UTSA +4 @Tulane LOSE
UNC @ NCST +2.5 WIN
Memphis @ Temple +11.5 LOSE
TCU +10
@ OU LOSE
BEST BET: Boston College +9.5 and he took +290 ML LOSE

Sidekick
(I know his name is Schwartz and I apologize but I dislike the guy as a podcaster, he's a nice guy)
Arizona -10 @ AZST WIN
Bear has had a bad season
Bear WEEK 13: 1-5
SEASON: 29-41

Sidekick on AZ WON (i don't have his record, but he's around .500 or a little bit better)

Clay Travis

Ole Miss @ MissState OVER 55.5 LOSE

Iowa @ Nebraska UNDER 27 WIN

Mizzu @ Arkansas OVER 54.5 WIN

PSU @ MichiganState UNDER 42.5 WIN

OregonState @ Oregon -13.5 WIN

OhioSt @ MI -3.5 WIN

A&M @ LSU OVER 66.5 WIN

KY @ Ville UNDER 50.5 LOSE

Vandy +27 @ Tenny WIN

Bama @ Auburn +15 WIN

Clemson @ Scary +7.5 LOSE

FSU @ Florida +6.5 LOSE
WEEK 13: 8-5
SEASON: 75-84
(using his record as provided by him)

Me:
SEASON: 59-52-1

Took a teaser with Ole Miss -4/LSU-5.5/KY&Ville Under 56.5/Clemson -1 pays just a little over 2:1 but keeps me interested in some games I am not betting on but want to watch

Week #13:
Ole Miss -10 2 Units -110 PUSH (whew)
I have watched a good amount of both teams this year and took this w/o hesitation if that's worth anything. Shud be an ass whopping imo. See line now @ 10.5. Go watch MST games agst Western Michigan, Arkansas, KY and A&M and tell me you think 10 is enuf here.
Oregon -13.5 1.5 Units -110 WIN Ducks @ home with everything to play for vs DJU. Come on man
San Jose State +2.5 1 Unit -110 WIN Tail of Powers at BTB. He's done great. I have watched a little of both teams. Thought his comments abt SJSU QB good enuf for me
Florida +6.5 1 Unit -110 LOSE Rivalry at home with injured Travis. Not fully confident, but confident enuf.
Clemson -7 1 Unit -110 WIN I must be missing something with SCarolina, but I will pay to see it. Now line is @7.5
Iowa ML +135 1 Unit WIN
Over 53 in Tech vs Texas
1 Unit -110 WIN
Ducks -6 2H -125 WIN
Bama -13 2 units -110 LOSE
LSU -12 1 unit -110 PUSH
Under 63.3 in LSU Live LOSE
Over 31.5 2H in LSU WIN
Bama TT OVER 14.5 2H LOSE ( put my winnings from the week on it....what happened on the pick 6?)

Had to do it. My favorite handicapper

View attachment 79366
WEEK 13: 7-4-2
SEASON: 66-56-3

If I stick with original picks I go 5-1-1. A perennial problem I have is adding other bets. I won $0 because of the $$ bet on Bama game

Sorry I been away last few weeks, on top the wife issues I got really really sick with what I’m assuming was a different strain of covid. For weeks I had no ability to get enough oxygen without lot of puffing on a inhaler, I had like 0 energy and simple task like going to the bathroom had me very close to calling a ambulance!! I slept a ton and just couldn’t muster any desire to even try to cap games, it was not fun and I missed ya’ll. Don’t think I ever missed 2 weeks of football betting in middle the season, let alone the last 2 weeks the year!! I just couldn’t do it tho. Then after weeks of the respiratory problems I got violently Ill this past week leading up to thanksgiving, that only lasted a day or 2 but took bout 3-4 to feel completely better. The strange thing was the minute I got Ill my lungs started feeling like a million bucks, no more inhaler and my breathing just felt right again!! Anyways by thanksgiving I felt like a new me, had lot of obligations so still wasn’t able to post much, all that over w now and I’m back and loook forward to talking out what little games we have left!!!

@B.A.R. I dont know if you do this. We need to shut this Week 13 handicapper thread and have comments in new Handicapper Coference Championship thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back