EliteXC, May 31 on CBS

well at least kimbo got tested and went longer than one round.....

he is certainly looking better thats for sure..... conditioning needs some work if he really want so contend but not too shabby, gotta keep working....!!

The stoppage for the NO CONTEST was weak. If that dudes ear falls off what the hell hapens? I think they had to stop that one....he took some monster shots..

Reffing will be fixed here, just like the NFL bullshit calls, Kimbo is a joke they should cut him now-- Lawler fight was good, chick fight was also great, but KImbo is not a MMA fighter

The stoppage for the NO CONTEST was weak. If that dudes ear falls off what the hell hapens? I think they had to stop that one....he took some monster shots..

What do you expect they had a female doctor, who was like oh no his eye is hurt lets call it, bullshit for sure

I dont think anyone expects Kimbo to be anything more then a brawler . That 2nd round I dont know how Thompson took those 3 shots to be honest..chich fight and the championship fight where the best that kid had heart

The first time I saw that Cauliflower ear I knew that guy was a hell of a wrestler. Kimbo got lucky he didnt go to the ground on that last round or he would have been done. But..he did what he had to do.

my picks are pretty all the favorites.... i don't really think any of the dogs even have a slight chance of winning....

Kimbo, Lawler, Carano, Rogers, Villasenor.... :shake:

4-0-1 (lawler no contest) onthe easy picks with all favs winning - congrats to those who won $$$ tonight~!!! :cheers:

Kimbo did have that stretch for about a minute one the ground where he was barely defending himself. Yeah, Thompson was hardly putting any power behind the strikes, but still.

Am I the only onw that's thinking maybe CBS "lobbied" for quick syoppages because they didn't want to have anyone get royally fucked up on the first prime-time card? The ear didn't work out so well for them though.

ANyone else feel that MMA is a good sport to bet, I feel with Dr wilde and MOGO and others it is nice, i have won many and lost very few

Kimbo did have that stretch for about a minute one the ground where he was barely defending himself. Yeah, Thompson was hardly putting any power behind the strikes, but still.

Am I the only onw that's thinking maybe CBS "lobbied" for quick syoppages because they didn't want to have anyone get royally fucked up on the first prime-time card? The ear didn't work out so well for them though.

YEs 100000% for sure-- if they were consistent they wojd have stopped the Kimbo fight he was not intelligently defending himself for over a minute and a half-- UFc would have stopped that probably

THey give the favorites the benefit and then screwed all the dogs

I'll give the guy credit, he lasted way longer than I thought, and Kimbo actually did better on the ground than I figured. Still, put him up against a good wrestler and he'll have real trouble.

That no contest stoppage was complete horse shit though.

Brett Rogers vs. Jon Murphy
Brett Rogers KO-ed James Thompson (see below) and he's on a bit of a streak right now winning the last 6 or so. Murphy is a relative newcomer who likes to bang and will have his hands full for this fight. I see Rogers taking this by ko/tko.

Phil Baroni vs. Joey Villasenor

This should be a pretty interesting fight. Baroni will come out dropping bombs as usual while Villa will use his "all around" game to nullify Baroni's attempts. I like Baroni but he's lost 4 of his last 6 and has a problem with cardio. Villa on the other hand has great cardio and will have the tools prevent getting KO-ed early in the first round... I hope. Villa will secure a win with a fatigued Baroni in the 2nd round.

Gina Carano vs. Kaitlin Young
I'm not going to even pretend that I know who Young is. I do know that if "Crush" shows up "in shape" she should be able to notch up another win (she's notorious for not making weight). I've been told that Young likes to keep it standing which is unfortunate for her since Gina has a great muay thai clinch and we've all heard of her KO power.

Robbie Lawler vs. Scott Smith
Both guys like to stand and trade punches- sounds like a theme for tonight. If anyone can stop Lawler in the league right now it'll be Smith but since Lawler has the experience, the training, and the talent...

Kevin “Kimbo Slice” Ferguson vs. James Thompson

Thompson- if he manages to take it to the ground he might have a chance to make Kimbo look preschool but I doubt it happens. Who are we kidding? Unless Kimbo slips on the oil that was previously massaged on his chest and knocks himself out; I see mainstream America taking their first look at CBS's golden egg.

The odds are pretty rough for this card (-500 for someone that's been in 2 pro fights?) so I would suggest making some parlays if your book allows so.

Good work guys! Card: 4-0-1(NC)

favorites are typically good bets in MMA (rarely ever big dog upsets), but it's tough to find something with actually value to get good money on....

Carano was by far the best bet today, should have gone with my gut and laid some big money on it when it dropped from -340 to -270.... but still thats pretty heavy chalk to have to lay....

i kind of have to believe Dana White when he says BJ Penn could beat Kimbo though....

Kimbo Slice and Brett Rogers in altercation at EliteXC press conference

NEWARK, N.J. – While millions of viewers around the country were able to tune in to a night of live mixed martial arts action on network television, far fewer were able to witness a verbal exchange turned near-altercation between victorious EliteXC heavyweight fighters Brett Rogers and Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson –- and Ferguson's entourage.

The tension began to brew before Ferguson had even made his way to the post-event press conference that followed Saturday's "EliteXC: PRIMETIME" event.

Rogers, who defeated Jon Murphy in the night's first televised bout, was one of the first fighters at the conference to address the media, and he made it a point to discuss what he felt was a less-than-stellar performance by headliner Ferguson.

"I seen some [expletive] today," Rogers said. "I seen some [expletive], some garbage-ass [expletive]. I'm a heavyweight, and I feel I'm a true heavyweight. (James) Thompson? Much respect. But I'm saying it like this. Kimbo Slice, man, that was just garbage, man."

The conflict continued to grow when Ferguson took to the podium 20 minutes later. Before speaking, Ferguson shook the hand of every fighter on the panel. Rogers did so reluctantly and with a disgusted look on his face as he refused to look Ferguson in the eye.

When a reporter brought Rogers' earlier statements to Ferguson's attention, the YouTube legend did his best to defuse the issue.

"Everybody's entitled to their opinion," Ferguson said.

Moments later, with Ferguson still at the podium, Rogers was asked directly if he would like to match up with Ferguson in his next bout.

"Looking at the fight tonight, man, yeah," Rogers said. "A man is man. And what I saw in this man today, it was just garbage."

Rogers then turned and addressed Ferguson directly and brought up a controversial "phantom tap" that some believe occurred at the close of the second round.

"I'm going to speak it real," Rogers said. "It was garbage. You did tap. You did tap out (and) I was right there."

Ferguson responded immediately.

"That sounds like a challenge, big dog," Ferguson said.

As Ferguson and his entourage converged on Rogers (and the entire stage), "The Grim" refused to back down. Media members, including a certain MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) reporter who sat just a few feet from the stage, soon found themselves -- literally -- in the middle of the melee.

"It is a challenge," Rogers replied.

As the EliteXC staff worked to restore order, the two fighters glared intently across the podium. Ferguson was being restrained by EliteXC Live Events President Gary Shaw and Vice President Jared Shaw, as well as members of his entourage, while Rogers was being held back by fellow panelist Phil Baroni.

Despite the best efforts of many, the verbal tirade between the two continued.

"I ain't letting no bush [slur] call me out like that, man," Ferguson said.

"You talking all hard, and you bring that garbage-ass [expletive] today," Rogers replied.

Ferguson was quickly calmed by Gary and Jared Shaw, but members of Ferguson's entourage continued to shout at Rogers.

"You a hater," the group directed repeatedly at Rogers.

"I'm a hater?" Rogers asked. "I'm a hater because I'm putting [Ferguson] on the spot?"

A member of Ferguson's management was finally able to corral the majority of the entourage, telling Ferguson that, "We'll get our chance in the cage."

The tense moment was finally over as Ferguson and his entourage left the room, and further questioning resumed for the remaining panel members.

Questions surround first "Saturday Night Fights" event

It was a night aimed at finally ushering mixed martial arts into the mainstream.

Instead, EliteXC "Saturday Night Fights" on CBS swung and missed with a main event that raised serious questions about how the outcome was handled.

Debatable officiating by referee Dan Miragliotta in the headline match that pitted former street-fighting Internet star Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson against James Thompson left a black eye on a night of fighting that, until the main event, had been entertaining.

The announcing crew of Gus Johnson, Mauro Ranallo and Frank Shamrock (more on the trio in a moment) harped on "safety first" in MMA during both an opening package that outlined the rules of the sport and again during the stoppage of the Robbie Lawler-Scott Smith tussle. However, Miragliotta showed disdain for that safety mantra when he let Thompson pound away on a defenseless Ferguson for 40 seconds near the end of round two.

That unabashed beating was in stark contrast to the ultra-fast stoppages of the evening's first two primetime fights. Both the Brett Rogers-Jon Murphy heavyweight bout and the middleweight fight between Joey Villasenor and Phil Baroni were waved off as soon as Murphy and Baroni were dropped to the mat. While clearly Murphy and Baroni were in dire straits, the casual viewer had to be scratching his head about why Ferguson was given every opportunity to weather the storm, while Murphy and Baroni were not.

Miragliotta added further fuel to the conspiracy-theorist fire that there was no way Ferguson – EliteXC's prime-time meal ticket – would lose on national TV by stopping the fight in the third with Thompson still on his feet.

Where's "Big" John McCarthy when you need him?

Even the announcer Johnson called it a "horrible stoppage." It appeared only a matter of time before Thompson ultimately succumbed, but if Miragliotta stopped it there, he should have stopped the fight when Ferguson was eating a steady diet of ground-and-pound and doing nothing to defend himself.

Inconsistent and questionable officiating is just one aspect of the evening's show that made the viewing experience feel more like a spectacle than sports.

To be sure, the production was unmistakably EliteXC, complete with booty-shaking dancers, pyrotechnics, and fighter intros dressed up as music videos. Song titles and artists names, with a plug for a web site to download the tracks, actually appeared on screen. The NFL on CBS this was not.

While some of the initial scene-setting on the broadcast made sense – covering the rules and stepping first-time viewers through moves and terminology– the show was nearly a half-hour old before the first punch was thrown.

As a quick sidebar on the package that Shamrock did to outline the rules, it was ironic that when Shamrock said knees to the head are not allowed that the footage used for the shot was none other than his illegal knee to the back of Renzo Gracie's head from the first EliteXC show last year. Very nice.

Speaking of Shamrock, he was visibly nervous during the opening standup, but later settled in to deliver solid color commentary.

Overall, the broadcast trio of Johnson, Ranallo and Shamrock did a decent job. As you would expect for the first time working together, there were some stumbles. In the Gina Carano-Kaitlin Young fight, they failed to recognize a choke attempt by Carano when she was using her shin against Young's throat. Shamrock described it during a replay. In the Lawler-Smith bout, the crew was perplexed as to where blood was coming from, when it was clear to the viewer that Lawler had a gash on the top of his head.

Also, Johnson overcalled portions of the Lawler-Smith fight saying Smith was in trouble and "ready to go" on a couple of occasions when Smith was not close to being KO'd.

And, by the descriptions of virtually every fighter on the card by Johnson, you would have thought these were the best fighters on the planet. Sure, selling the product is part of the announcer's role, but don't try to convince us that a 10-9 Baroni is a world-beater. His cage walk was five times as long as his fight!

But, the announcing crew was the least of the concerns on this night.
Hyped as the most significant night in MMA history, the first network prime-time broadcast lacked the production polish that comes standard with a UFC experience, felt more music video than sporting event, ran 45 minutes over its allotted time, and raised considerable questions about inconsistent officiating that can only be damaging to the sport's image.

As first impressions go, this first network broadcast of MMA fell short.

Back