****Draft lottery, trade rumors, Kevin Love- Draft In game******

You need to watch last years Spurs , the Year before the Heat and the 2008 Celtics, all within the last 20 years and played exceptional team defense...

You see, I think last season's Spurs and the prior season's Heat (barely, in the finals) just played better offense than the other teams in those seasons, especially these recently crowned Spurs, that was a ball movement clinic in the finals. Isn't this kind of chicken or the egg, did the Spurs prevail by offense or defense? It's not football, it's all the same guys. But I admit, didn't follow closely and I don't know shit. So you're probably right.

Also, and I realize LeBron's one guy, but I think the Heat's "team defense" was pumped up a bit by Lebron.

I'm a ton more disappointed in losing Wiggy than Bennett. I agree that Lebron, and owner Gilbert, had the foot on the gas on this deal. Lebron wanted Love, LeBron's the GM. I still say they could have waited a little bit, but what are 'ya gonna do. We're going to win a championship or two. Just on talent alone. (That's aimed at t-dot.)

I haven't seen meaningful team defense in the NBA in twenty years.

Not a real big NBA fan, so I'll accept whatever you guys want to caution me about. But team's going to the finals. The east sucks. The Bulls suck. Who's going to beat 'em?

I think there's been only 1 team in the past couple of decades that has won the ring without a top 10 def and that was the Lakers a decade ago. Howver, the Lakers turned it up a notch in the playoffs and sported a top 3 def. during their run.

You see, I think last season's Spurs and the prior season's Heat (barely, in the finals) just played better offense than the other teams in those seasons, especially these recently crowned Spurs, that was a ball movement clinic in the finals. Isn't this kind of chicken or the egg, did the Spurs prevail by offense or defense? It's not football, it's all the same guys. But I admit, didn't follow closely and I don't know shit. So you're probably right.

You could make both arguments however i believe the stronger argument is the team defense created easier looks/breaks/baskets on the offensive end via turnovers, more difficult shots (more defensive rebounds leading to breaks) etc etc...

Having a Lebron, Kobe, Garnett allows a team to play better defense. These guys at their time, all play strong defense and can defend multiple positions which allows you to hide your teammates weakness's which is what "team" defense is all about (rotating and help)

t-dot/cash/others, you seem to know what you're talking about, so I ask respectfully … who's going to beat the Cavs in the east? I don't see it if you think it's the Bulls. "Big Threes" and "Big Twos" always seem to work out pretty well in the NBA.

t-dot/cash/others, you seem to know what you're talking about, so I ask respectfully … who's going to beat the Cavs in the east? I don't see it if you think it's the Bulls. "Big Threes" and "Big Twos" always seem to work out pretty well in the NBA.

I like the addition of Gasol to the Bulls. I think that makes them so much better (besides the obvious D-rose health) and their defense is solid and bench got a little better however if they don't get consistent scoring from their 2 or 3 they are going to have a tough time.

The boys to the north can speak better to the Raptors but still think they are 1 or 2 veterans away from getting to the next level.

I have been high on the wiz the last couple of years saying the will be better, they need a healthy Nene, don't know if they have talent and composure to get it done..

Charlotte could be very competitive - i like their additions, (i am not a kemba walker fan)

miami with the addition of Deng will be competitive but don't see much there.

Reality is if the Cavs buy into the coach and his system with their talent and depth, they should win...

Those are just some quick thoughts...

Probably no one, especially with Love...but have you seen many, if any, people say the Cavs wouldn't win the East?

Chicago, Washington, Toronto are probably the other 3 best teams in the East. Then there's Miami, Charlotte, NO in the next tier. The only 3 with a chance now I would think would be Chi/Was/Tor, but those chances went down a bit when the Cavs got Love instead of a rookie and a guy who was a bust last year.

Maybe I missed someone saying they won't win it, but they are the pretty prohibitive favorite to win the East and I'm not sure you're going to get too many guys saying otherwise. They have the best player on the planet, along with a top 5/10 guy, and an All Star PG who is only going to get better.

Right now, the Cavs have the best fantasy basketball team in the East. No question.

Big 3's and 2's work out if the primary players play defense.

Celtics and the Heat, both had great defenders. Bron, Wade, Chalmers, Battier, Rondo, Garnett, Tony Allen etc.. They could get stops when they needed it.

Nets and KNicks also tried their big 3 or 2. None could defend. DWill and Lopez were bad defenders while Garnett was too old to do what he used to. Amare and Melo couldnt guard a chair.

Now, Love, Irving and Waiters are young enough to possibly make a complete 180, so there is a chance for them to become a good defensive team and I do think very highly of Blatt as a coach and Bron as a player (as a person he's a turd though).

The East may not have talent, but they do have some young kids on scrappy defensive teams that will give the Cavs trouble in a series.

Probably no one, especially with Love...but have you seen many, if any, people say the Cavs wouldn't win the East?

Chicago, Washington, Toronto are probably the other 3 best teams in the East. Then there's Miami, Charlotte, NO in the next tier. The only 3 with a chance now I would think would be Chi/Was/Tor, but those chances went down a bit when the Cavs got Love instead of a rookie and a guy who was a bust last year.

Maybe I missed someone saying they won't win it, but they are the pretty prohibitive favorite to win the East and I'm not sure you're going to get too many guys saying otherwise. They have the best player on the planet, along with a top 5/10 guy, and an All Star PG who is only going to get better.

If I'm not mistaken, t-dot island is early playoff exit for the 2014/2015 Cavs.

Also remember, this is Cleveland, so t-dot's probably on the right side. It's '64 and counting. The '97 Indians took a lead into the bottom of the 9th in game 7. What ensued nearly killed me. Blah, blah, you know all the other Browns/Tribe/Cavs horror stories the last 50 years.

For the record, if the Gladiators win tonight, it doesn't even come close to ending the curse, and I'm holding out hope for the 2014 Tribe. Need to get a little hot. A lot hot.

Also remember, this is Cleveland, so t-dot's probably on the right side. It's '64 and counting. The '97 Indians took a lead into the bottom of the 9th in game 7. What ensued nearly killed me. Blah, blah, you know all the other Browns/Tribe/Cavs horror stories the last 50 years.

For the record, if the Gladiators win tonight, it doesn't even come close to ending the curse, and I'm holding out hope for the 2014 Tribe. Need to get a little hot. A lot hot.

Well t-dot is simply speaking like a fan, it's quite obvious the Cavs are the team to beat in the East. Nothing wrong with having some hope that a team like the Cavs get knocked out early, but there's almost no chance they get knocked out early in the playoffs. That's just wishful thinking of a Raptors' fan.

I need the indians over 500 for the year for my future..

Well t-dot is simply speaking like a fan, it's quite obvious the Cavs are the team to beat in the East. Nothing wrong with having some hope that a team like the Cavs get knocked out early, but there's almost no chance they get knocked out early in the playoffs. That's just wishful thinking of a Raptors' fan.

Lol

Im the only one using history and stats to back up my argument. Wishful thinking of a Raps fan? I have yet to bring them into this discussion.

Good stuff.

I don't think there is any history/stats to apply to the Cavs' assemblage of scoring ability, and all three "big threes" can pass. Just sit back and enjoy.

Lol

Im the only one using history and stats to back up my argument. Wishful thinking of a Raps fan? I have yet to bring them into this discussion.

Good stuff.

History that the Nets and Knicks couldn't play D? No kidding, the Nets average age was 38, and the Knicks had Melo, who can't guard a chair as you said and a shell of what used to be Amare.

I agree with your history that defensive teams have won in the recent past, but you're also just assuming the Cavs are not going to be good on defense. Even if they aren't, they can simply outscore everyone in the East without even putting forth much effort, you would think. I'm going to give the Cavs the benefit of the doubt because again, they have the best player in the world, who plays top notch defense...and I think he can get guys motivated to play defense with him couple with the fact that Blatt is a defensive guru from most accounts.

You don't have to reference the Raptors to have that slant come through in your thoughts/assumptions. :o

It has to be interesting to be a Raptors fan.

And ... Why haven't they changed the fucking name and whose idea was that? A reference to a particular dinosaur that was on our minds for a hot minute because of a big movie, and none of this has anything to do with Toronto or Canada.

History that the Nets and Knicks couldn't play D? No kidding, the Nets average age was 38, and the Knicks had Melo, who can't guard a chair as you said and a shell of what used to be Amare.

I agree with your history that defensive teams have won in the recent past, but you're also just assuming the Cavs are not going to be good on defense. Even if they aren't, they can simply outscore everyone in the East without even putting forth much effort, you would think. I'm going to give the Cavs the benefit of the doubt because again, they have the best player in the world, who plays top notch defense...and I think he can get guys motivated to play defense with him couple with the fact that Blatt is a defensive guru from most accounts.

You don't have to reference the Raptors to have that slant come through in your thoughts/assumptions. :o

Actually that was your assumption, not mine. Not once did I have the Raps in mind when talking about the Cavs. It was more about the Cavs trying to put together a fantasy team rather than a winning team. I even mentioned that the Cavs had to ask for Brewer as part of the package to balance the team out. Again, I think I might be the only one on the planet that thinks the Cavs COULD falter.

I mentioned the Nets and Knicks in reference to Tippy's comments.

It has to be interesting to be a Raptors fan.

And ... Why haven't they changed the fucking name and whose idea was that? A reference to a particular dinosaur that was on our minds for a hot minute because of a big movie, and none of this has anything to do with Toronto or Canada.

Yeah, I prefered them to go old school and retake the name of the Huskies.

Defense is a strange thing to categorize. Steve Nash has consistently been bagged for playing no defense yet he led the league several times in drawing charges which ain't no picnic. It's motivation plus system more than anything.

Huskies would be a lot better. But still, Toronto's pretty cosmopolitan, right? I don't know what I'd call 'em. They should steal the Grizzlies back to Canada.

It's a pro sports pet peeve of mine. Pick something eternally fitting, or something eternally neutral. And sometimes the teams move. Don't want to discount the burgeoning jazz scene in Salt Lake City, but c'mon.

Hooking the New Orleans team back up with the Jazz and re-naming the Utah team the "Utah Annoying Guys in Black Suits Who Interrupt Your Day" seems easy enough. Might have to shorten the Utah name.

You could abbreviate the Utah name maybe??
toronto does need a better name now that you mention it...maybe something to do with the cold...

Actually that was your assumption, not mine. Not once did I have the Raps in mind when talking about the Cavs. It was more about the Cavs trying to put together a fantasy team rather than a winning team. I even mentioned that the Cavs had to ask for Brewer as part of the package to balance the team out. Again, I think I might be the only one on the planet that thinks the Cavs COULD falter.

I mentioned the Nets and Knicks in reference to Tippy's comments.

You missed my point completely. First, it was all in good fun. Second, I didn't say you thought the Raps were the team to best them, I simply said it was wishful thinking from a Raps fan that the Cavs lose early....that way the Raps have a much better shot of winning the East.

Defense is a strange thing to categorize. Steve Nash has consistently been bagged for playing no defense yet he led the league several times in drawing charges which ain't no picnic. It's motivation plus system more than anything.

Agree 100% about the motivation plus strategy (even said the same thing earlier in the thread about K Love). Love is gonna be just fine in Cleveland, especially with Blatt and LeBron there to keep kicking him in the ass...and the fact he's on a team that had a legitimate shot to win a title every year from now until LeBron retires. He didn't have anything near that in Minnesota.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who doesn't try a little harder if you have a perceived shot at a win and a great end? Cavs will be better at defense just on attitude alone.

Defense is a strange thing to categorize. Steve Nash has consistently been bagged for playing no defense yet he led the league several times in drawing charges which ain't no picnic. It's motivation plus system more than anything.[/QUOTE

yep.

I have a hard time believing that Kevin Love is incapable from a skill standpoint of playing defense.

The Clippers have traded Jared Dudley to the Bucks, league source tells Yahoo.

Bucks will send Carlos Delfino and Radiluca to the Clippers for Dudley and a future first-round pick, source tells Yahoo.

Delfino is likely sidelined for the season. For the Clippers, this is a way to get Dudley contract off.

Defense is a strange thing to categorize. Steve Nash has consistently been bagged for playing no defense yet he led the league several times in drawing charges which ain't no picnic. It's motivation plus system more than anything.[/QUOTE

yep.

I have a hard time believing that Kevin Love is incapable from a skill standpoint of playing defense.

There is a world of difference between a guard and a big. With all the rules in place, there are less than a handful of players in the league that can stop a player 1:1 out on the perimeter. Most guards try to lead the opposing players a certain direction by design. But when guards are unable to that, the system breaks down in a big way. Nash is a poor defender, him being able to take charges has little to do with his defensive prowess, its more to do with the fact that he has balls of steal.

Love as a backline defender has to give that protection. He can be protected if there are better perimeter defenders so that there are less straight line drives and more time to react (which he had to a degree in Minny, hence why the team drtg wasnt horrible). IN Cleveland he is one of the 2 guys that HAS to be able to provide help for Irving, Waiters and on that rare occasion Bron. Im not even going to go into his pnr def. because it might actually be worse than Amare's.

Rubio looking for a max deal and has already balked at 4/43.

He is smart to turn it down, I think he is worth at least Lawson type money. Honestly, I dont think the wolves knew how to use him last year. For some reason Adelman didnt want him anywhere near the ball last year. He was 12th on the in usg rate last year..12TH!.

He is going to have a monster year if Adelman ever gets his head out of his ass.

Wolves are probably going to end up as my second team with Love out. Just love what they've done this off season.

^

I believe Adelman retired..... need to see what kind of pace/style of offense they will play...still need to get rid of martin..

also very hard to give a max deal to a guy who can't play defense or shoot (nba standards),, i was all over him for these last year, though it helped me cash a lot of over tickets...

Yeah forgot, I think Rubio will be better under Flip.

I do think Rubio is a good defender, but the system they had in place really sucked. Ill have to go back and check tapes, but Adelman didnt have a clue what to do with Rubio.

Yeah forgot, I think Rubio will be better under Flip.

I do think Rubio is a good defender, but the system they had in place really sucked. Ill have to go back and check tapes, but Adelman didnt have a clue what to do with Rubio.

Rubio gets a pass for a system that sucked, but Love is the worst defender in the NBA even though he played in that same system?

Rubio gets a pass for a system that sucked, but Love is the worst defender in the NBA even though he played in that same system?

Love's poor defense is being overhyped...while he is no Kevin Garnett people act like he is David Lee when he isn't anywhere as bad. Below is from a Warriors blog

• Love is actually a very good one-on-one post defender. The Synergy numbers bear that out, especially in comparison to David Lee: Love gives up .72 points per possession, Lee gives up .88. If you don't immediately grasp the significance between that difference, consider that Love ranked 43rd in the league whereas Lee ranked 156th.

Cleveland will be a better defensive team and I will bet they finish in the upper half of the league in Defensive Efficiency.

Rubio still looked hella better than Love. Rubio's problem was that he shot the gap and gambled a little too much.

Love actually didnt do much of anything other than to turn around after a shot and hunt for the board and his inability to actually put a hand on someone to even foul.

Love's poor defense is being overhyped...while he is no Kevin Garnett people act like he is David Lee when he isn't anywhere as bad. Below is from a Warriors blog

• Love is actually a very good one-on-one post defender. The Synergy numbers bear that out, especially in comparison to David Lee: Love gives up .72 points per possession, Lee gives up .88. If you don't immediately grasp the significance between that difference, consider that Love ranked 43rd in the league whereas Lee ranked 156th.

Cleveland will be a better defensive team and I will bet they finish in the upper half of the league in Defensive Efficiency.

And how much is 1:1 post defense is needed from your PF these days? Maybe 15%? How many players with legit moves in the post are there right now? Less than 10?

Love is horrible at defending the pnr. Love is horrible at providing weakside help. Love is horrible at protecting the rim. You can clump all those guys together; Amare, Lee, Love, Boozer, Bargnani etc... Hell, even Bargs is a top 10 post defender based on synergy stats, but he still gets riled on because 85% of defense from your bigs these days is help.

As bad as some think Love is on defense, the Wolves were still better last year defensively with him on the floor as opposed to without him on the floor. Again, I think motivation has something to do with it, and I think we'll see his defense step up in Cleveland. Love also did a great job of not picking up fouls, so there were many times he basically allowed a layup as opposed to going for a block and getting called for a foul. If Blatt gets Love in the system and realizes that he's the worst defender he's ever seen, he'll probably just decide to go Run TMC and just out-run and outscore everyone, which they are certainly very, very capable of doing.

darren rovell ‏@darrenrovell 4m
Hawks Levenson said he was wrong to send a “message that our white fans are more valuable than our black fans.”

<header class="header" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1410135097978_1583" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px 10px; overflow: hidden; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: 'Helvetica Neue', HelveticaNeue, helvetica, arial, sans-serif; line-height: 16.25px;">[h=1]In the post-Sterling NBA, ownership fears are playing out: Am I next?[/h]</header> <cite class="byline vcard top-line" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1410135097978_1603" style="font-style: normal; line-height: 12.1000003814697px;">By Adrian Wojnarowski<abbr style="display: block;">2 hours ago</abbr></cite>Yahoo Sports

<figure class=" cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox " data-id="60b64750-36d5-11e4-abfb-52dff6fba711" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1410135097978_1520" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; cursor: pointer;">
.View photo

</figure>Bruce Levenson will sell his controlling interest in the Hawks. (AP)

In the aftermath of the Donald Sterling scandal, the dirty little secret within the NBA had played itself out in a most pronounced and predictable way: For all the public declarations of support on commissioner Adam Silver's banishment of the then Los Angeles Clippers loathsome owner, there were untold peers privately peppering Silver with misgivings on this perilous new NBA world.
"Adam had far less support on Sterling than anyone knows," a league source who speaks frequently with Silver told Yahoo Sports.
All around the league, owners started to take inventory on loose memos, audio and video remnants of speaking engagements and staff meetings. From race to Yag rights to fears of camera phones getting turned on them half-cocked in bars well past midnight, there were assuredly more than a few owners dispatching high-level cleaning crews to try and retrieve and expunge past indiscretions.
Dallas owner Mark Cuban had come out publicly with a fear that the rest of his peers only shared privately: Are we all headed down a slippery slope with these Sterling tapes?
<figure class="cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox" data-orig-index="1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; cursor: pointer;">
View gallery
201407210802289732702-p5.jpg
</figure>Former Clippers owner Donald Sterling was forced out of the league for his racist comments. (AP)

As owners issued statements decrying the racist rants of Sterling, they feared a thousand scenarios that could unfasten them of ownership, including how it's happened to Atlanta Hawks majority owner Bruce Levenson.Across the past several days, several high-ranking NBA officials, including owners, flew to New York to meet with Silver and discuss how the NBA would proceed on the contents of Levenson's 2012 email, sources told Yahoo Sports.
So few owners and Board of Governors members had been included in the conversation, so secretive had been Silver and league executives on the identity of Levenson, that only tiny parcels of information escaped a fortified inner circle. Through the league's back-channel gossip circles, this was known: An NBA owner is in deep trouble, and as one high-ranking official told Yahoo Sports on Friday, "I'm told it's Sterling-esque in nature."
Fear spread rapidly, because without knowledge of Levenson's identity, more than one owner wondered: "Do they have something on me?" Other high-ranking officials in organizations wondered, "Do you know if it's my guy?" Until the NBA issued a statement – deftly buried within hours of the NFL season's start on Sunday – the league was littered with guilty consciences bracing for the worst.
Ownership trepidations go far past race missteps and into possible personal failings and transgressions. What else could be cause to lose a team?
Everyone accepts this fact: Sterling's banishment was a lifetime achievement award on racism, discrimination and a downright despicable life. For legal reasons, the NBA could never make it about anything but that deranged old man's words to his girlfriend, but everyone knew the truth. The tapes had come public, and Silver had a chance to make him go away once and for all. From a business perspective, the NBA would've struggled to function without that action – from player revolts, sponsorship withdrawals and legitimate public disgust – Silver had to make his stand.
The Levenson case was a far more complex issue, and Silver was spared a far more divisive fight with owners had Levenson been unwilling to simply bow out and sell his stake in the Hawks. He had no public history of racial issues, and his 2012 email to general manager Danny Ferry clumsily tried to make sense of a legitimate business issue: How could the Hawks make game-night inclusive for a diverse Atlanta population? In some segments of the email, Levenson decries a racist attitude.
<figure class="cover get-lbdata-from-dom go-to-slideshow-lightbox" data-orig-index="2" id="yui_3_16_0_1_1410135097978_1613" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; position: relative; cursor: pointer;">
View gallery
201407152105759143763-p5.jpg
</figure>NBA Commissioner Adam Silver led the push to force Sterling to sell the Clippers. (AP)

"…I think southern whites simply were not comfortable being in an arena or at a bar where they were in the minority," Levenson wrote in the email. "On fan sites I would read comments about how dangerous it is around Philips [Arena], yet in our 9 years, I don't know of a mugging or even a pick pocket incident. This was just racist garbage. When I hear some people saying the arena is in the wrong place I think it is code for there are too many blacks at the games."Still, the email was an exacerbated, rambling stream of unscientific and largely uniformed spate of theories that made clearly insensitive and inappropriate assertions to make sense of why the Hawks couldn't sell tickets. Much of the email made a case for how African-American fans were more to blame for the Hawks ills than white fans, and Levenson's apology acknowledged it. Throughout the email, Levenson played into the very stereotypes of African-Americans that he claimed elsewhere to decry. Too many "blacks" on the Kiss Cam? Good lord.
Levenson had sent the email to Ferry, whom he had hired himself. Levenson has a close relationship with Ferry's longtime agent David Falk, and worked closely with Falk on a six-year contract that gave Ferry tremendous autonomy with the franchise.
The NBA and Levenson say he self-reported the email, but a high-ranking league official with direct knowledge of the probe told Yahoo Sports on Sunday that wasn't completely accurate, that the email had come back to haunt the owner within his organization.
"Semantics," the source called the NBA's insistence of a self-reporting scenario.
Silver is no liar, but he's a gifted lawyer and carefully scripted an apology and framed Levenson's ouster to make easier the decision to sell his majority share of the Hawks.
Once the NBA delivered its proclamation on Sunday, there were some unmistakable sighs of relief throughout the league. As one high-ranking team official texted within moments of the Levenson announcement, "It isn't my guy!" Everyone's heart stopped pounding so furiously, thrilled they had survived one more round of cuts in the roulette the post-Donald Sterling era has brought the NBA.
Yes, they survived the weekend, but Monday will come, and all around the NBA they'll start wondering and starting worrying again: Am I next?

With just days before the start of training camp, the Minnesota Timberwolves are making a final push to acquire restricted free-agent guard Eric Bledsoe in a sign-and-trade with thePhoenix Suns, sources told ESPN.com.
[+] Enlarge<cite style="margin: 0px 0px 4px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; display: block; color: rgb(171, 171, 171); background: transparent;">AP Photo/Jae C. Hong</cite>Fruitless contract talks with the Suns soured point guard Eric Bledsoe's appetite for playing in Phoenix.

The Wolves are offering Bledsoe the four-year, $63 million maximum level contract that he has been seeking, sources said, but because of cap restrictions, the only way he can join the team as currently constructed is through a sign-and-trade deal. Bledsoe and the Suns have been in a stalemate all summer after the team offered him a four-year, $48 million deal in July.
This is a renewal of talks that have stretched over the past several months. The teams had discussions involving a Kevin Love trade that would involve Bledsoe but never made serious traction on a deal.
The Wolves, who acquired No. 1 overall pick Andrew Wiggins after trading Love to theCleveland Cavaliers last month, see Bledsoe as a strong running mate to their new franchise player and have made some aggressive offers to Phoenix to try to get them to accept a deal.

Just nuts that the Suns get Bledsoe near max aka Eric Gordon II.

Suns are doing what Kahn failed to do in Minny; an all PG line up.

Back