Desean Jackson got released

That Colt team that Luck took over was not good. A lot of departures other than P Manning before and after that down year along with a midseason coaching change due to illness in Lucks rookie year. Also, you're completely ignoring that Peyton Manning was the QB of those teams and a large reason why they were so good. So Luck has the same record his rookie season as Peyton did in his last season there? I take that all day every day as far as Luck is concerned.

It's not fair to compare RGIII to him though, as I think they are operating on 2 different levels. Luck is in that "waiting to take the leap" category that not many guys ever make it to and Robert is in the "can I make the adjustments needed from college to play QB in this league?" category. Not many guys in that first category and a ton of guys in that second one, including every QB in the draft this year.

Mannnn listen...... Peyton Manning is bananas no doubt but that's wasn't a 2 win team without him. That front office put Curtis fucking Painter & a lame duck HC in that season to ensure 2 wins. That was an 8-8 team that the org tanked for Luck.

PM took over a Denver team that was an 8-8 div champ with a QB who's out the league today & made em 13-3. Tebow was responsible for more losses than wins. Denver was a 10 win team with a trained Mouse, with PM they're 13-3. PM is worth 3wins, not 8

An 8-8 team with who at QB? I think you're discounting the importance of the position and dearth of truly good QBs in the league. No team in the league goes 8-8 these days without at least having a decent QB (or a fluky guy whose style is something that DCs didn't have tape on yet) and there just aren't that many guys that I would put in that category.

But back to the topic of the thread, if it's true that they got Desean that is a big upgrade at the position for the Skins and 1 less excuse for RGIII to not be successful this year. The only question is how will he effect the mood of that locker room, his teammates in Philly didnt seem too upset to see DJax leave town.....

Oh yeah, you're spot on there. With DJax as a weapon, RGIII cannot have a stinker. He's gotta perform.

I think folks overlook that Luck is a sub 60% passer thus far with 1.7/1 TD/int & sub 7ypa
RGIII is 62.7% passer with 2.11 TD/int & 7.5ypa.

Small 2yr sample size yes, just saying the team around Luck is better.

I would take Luck over RG3 without a doubt, now and the future. But, it's funny that people overlook that RG3 has better stats them him and consider Luck great and RG3 a huge bust.

I would take Luck over RG3 without a doubt, now and the future. But, it's funny that people overlook that RG3 has better stats them him and consider Luck great and RG3 a huge bust.

2 straight playoff appearances and the second biggest comeback in playoff history will do that to people

And let's stop with this Colts have a better supporting cast crap. Donald Brown, the guy who used to be Reggie Wayne, Coby Fleener, and T.Y Hilton are about = to Santana, Alf, Garçon, and Reed. Honestly think I would rather have the Redskins bunch TBH

Yes the 2012 Colts defense with Freeney Mathis Bethea Vontae Davis Darius Butler & Cory Redding that gave up >24pts just 6x despite their team being -12 in TO differential, the QB completing 54% & tossing 18ints is woefully untalented.:confused2:

2012 Washington's defense was London Fletcher, Ryan Kerrigan, DHall & 8 other Schmoes

his teammates in Philly didnt seem too upset to see DJax leave town.....

You know Riley Cooper is sad to see him go.

I sure as hell hope he ends up a Redskins, but I hope they can ink him to something short term. If half the shit about him being a headcase/distraction are true, I don't want to married to him for 5 years.

Ive managed to talk myself into the Desean Jackson is overrated camp...look at his numbers last year and he had a couple huge games (losses) and a few where he was just a non factor (though I guess you could probly cherry pick that for any WR). He did absolutely nothing during that playoff game vs the Saints until that corner got hurt and they put the 3rd string guy on him

Also dont know if I buy the whole "Oh My God how are we gonna stretch the field without 8 guys concentrating on Jackson" stuff...but we'll see

Think its pretty telling that the two front offices with Eagles ties (KC and Indy) arent involved and the only two teams that are (Washington and Oakland) consistently make awful FA decisions

Let's stop leaving out some important facts:

Luck took over a team 1yr removed from 10-6 div winner & 2yr removed from the best record in the league. In otherwords he took over an already good team.

RGIII took over a a team 1yr removed from 6-10 & 2yr removed from 4-12. The team was shit, & a healthy RGIII took the shit team to a div champ & playoffs.

Tony Chokemeister took a 13win contender & has made them perennially 8-8

U have been smokin that good shit niggga, or u forgot ur meds. Tha team luck inherited was a dog shit team wit no depth at O skill positions. He is gettin more done wit less. U can throw out stats this an that, show me wins. Most wins in 1st 2 seasons as a qb. And get tha fuck outta here wit this bullshit about a health rg3-13 took tha foreskins to tha playoffs. U ain't dumb, niggga I know this. U haven't and will never see that kinda bullshit again. Coach quit on tha team, them nigggas were 3-6 at tha break then went on to take 7 straight to make tha playoffs. A lot of luck in that 7 game stretch. We saw lastyear what tha foreskins were made of. Put up or shut up for rg3-13 this year.

. Put up or shut up for rg3-13 this year.

i think it's fair to say we all agree on this. Robert seems like a good guy, honestly if he wasn't a Foreskin I'd be tempted to root for him, but I just haven't seen it on the field. We'll see what Gruden can do with him, but I stand by my comment that his leash is much shorter than Silky or Dollaz thinks.

Ive managed to talk myself into the Desean Jackson is overrated camp...look at his numbers last year and he had a couple huge games (losses) and a few where he was just a non factor (though I guess you could probly cherry pick that for any WR). He did absolutely nothing during that playoff game vs the Saints until that corner got hurt and they put the 3rd string guy on him

Also dont know if I buy the whole "Oh My God how are we gonna stretch the field without 8 guys concentrating on Jackson" stuff...but we'll see

Think its pretty telling that the two front offices with Eagles ties (KC and Indy) arent involved and the only two teams that are (Washington and Oakland) consistently make awful FA decisions

:goal::goal::goal::goal::goal::goal::goal::goal::goal::goal::goal::goal::goal::goal::goal::goal::goal:

So DJax signs an outrageously low contract. 3 yrs,, 24 million; 16 guaranteed. I'd be much more concerned about this signing if it was high dollar, but it's short term and he's roughly the 14th highest paid WR (what I read). He makes less money than Garcon, 5 yrs 42 million; 21 million guaranteed.

Say what you want about DJax, but I do think he's a good fit for this offense. RG3s strength as a passer is his deep ball and that should keep the safeties paying attention to DJax. Garcon is more of a possession WR that will eat up the slants/digs/etc. Jordan Reed is gonna give team fits from a TE spot if he can manage to stay healthy. I don't know much about Roberts, but he seems like a solid, all around WR that should be a good 3rd WR/4th option.

Im curious to see what happens with Moss, Hankerson, and Robinson. I would probably just go ahead and cut Moss. Hankerson can provide them some size (along with Reed) and Robinson gives them another deep threat to back up Jackson.

Did anyone said any different?
:goal::goal::goal::goal::goal:

Meanwhile Marlo, you gon just pretend like you ain't have some Nat Title game amends to make or nah? It's cool, we gon act like you ain't talked mad smack beforehand. I see you playa

I may be the most negative of all the Redskins fans in here as I've become disgusted with this franchise over the past few years. Even went through an "adopt a new team" experiment before I realized I hate all the other NFL teams, so I'm stuck with the Skins.

But this is a good deal for them. They didn't commit to something insane in terms of years, or dollars. They paid enough to get him, but I don't think this dollar amount is outrageous. They need help at this position and there aren't many options out there on the FA market. Like all of you guys have said, if they can draft a lineman who works out, Griffin will be out of excuses if he doesn't get them to the playoffs this year.

Of course there's always the new coach excuse...... Aw shit..

U have been smokin that good shit niggga, or u forgot ur meds. Tha team luck inherited was a dog shit team wit no depth at O skill positions. He is gettin more done wit less. U can throw out stats this an that, show me wins. Most wins in 1st 2 seasons as a qb. And get tha fuck outta here wit this bullshit about a health rg3-13 took tha foreskins to tha playoffs. U ain't dumb, niggga I know this. U haven't and will never see that kinda bullshit again. Coach quit on tha team, them nigggas were 3-6 at tha break then went on to take 7 straight to make tha playoffs. A lot of luck in that 7 game stretch. We saw lastyear what tha foreskins were made of. Put up or shut up for rg3-13 this year.

And as for you Boss Hogg, pretty mean what ya said about my team, they're made from from the same fabric as the girls in Pink, quite shitty!

the 2011 colts, you know the 1s you you call awful lost NO significant FA from 2010 & in fact added 4 impact FAs. To their team: Jamaal Anderson, Anthony Costonzo, Tommie Harris & Ernie Sims. While also having fresh off a Pro Bowl Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garçon, Freeney & Mathis. This to go along with a Football Outsiders top 15 rated 2011 DVOA back donald Brown & Joseph Addai. No the 2011 Colts weren't lacking for skill or talent, they started a retired (bottom 15 at his best) Kerry Vollins (never having been in the system) & Curtis fucking Painter. The team was just off a 10 win season which it's now known PM was hurt in week fucking 2!!! A broke winged QB led this team to 10w's, same injury was enough to need 1 full yr of recovery!! Stop with the clear hate, the Colts team had talent on both sides of the ball, the mgmt when presented with the news of PM's injury eschewed proper FA replacements & signed retired Kerry Collins along with letting Curtis Fucking Painter start like 10gms. That tm didn't suck, the org threw 2 juice boxes out at QB who didn't even know the system. They tanked for Luck.

[video=youtube_share;1N5p8IXzNdc]http://youtu.be/1N5p8IXzNdc[/video]

i think it's fair to say we all agree on this. Robert seems like a good guy, honestly if he wasn't a Foreskin I'd be tempted to root for him, but I just haven't seen it on the field. We'll see what Gruden can do with him, but I stand by my comment that his leash is much shorter than Silky or Dollaz thinks.

Now see you, you make sense

It is kinda odd that the same people that think excuses were made for RG3 in his 2013 season are making excuses for his pro bowl, division winning 2012 season.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/KP0OaUOQGCg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/KP0OaUOQGCg?version=3&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Don Cheadle (rocket) bringing it

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/1MuPZwe3XSY?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/1MuPZwe3XSY?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Im sure Jackson will break off some routes and rg3-13 (absolutely hilarious by the way tru...everytime i read it i laugh) will hit him on some scramble psuedo hail marys but whatever...team still sucks and is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things so no big loss or threat to the eagles

would be hilarious if the eagles waited a bit and then leaked out all the dirt on him to derail the foreskins locker room though...then we'll see how much of a bargain he was

Forget for one minute all the recent questions about DeSean Jackson's life off the field, the most scandalous of which have yet to be substantiated. Let's also not spend much time debating the arrogance that led Philadelphia Eagles head coach Chip Kelly to believe his offense didn't need its best wide receiver anymore. The most interesting aspect of Jackson's new three-year deal with the Washington Redskins has little to do with those things. Instead, it has everything to do with a franchise that has been largely dysfunctional ever since Daniel Snyder purchased it in 1999.
Anybody who thinks Jackson's arrival in Washington is destined to be a roaring success is in need of a serious reality check. He's a highly emotional player with a history of losing his focus and driving coaches crazy with his mood swings. Jackson became a star in the NFL because his first head coach -- Andy Reid, now with the Kansas City Chiefs -- knew how to relate to one of the most explosive talents in the league today. Jackson also became expendable in Philadelphia, after his best statistical season, because Kelly doesn't have much interest in going out of his way to do the same.
[h=4]More from ESPN.com[/h]
keim_john_m.jpg
The Redskins' offense will be explosive as long as DeSean Jackson doesn't wind up being a distraction, writes John Keim. Story
<CENTER>
</CENTER>
fox_ashley_m.jpg
The Eagles came to the realization that releasing DeSean Jackson was a case of addition by subtraction, writes Ashley Fox. Story
<CENTER>
</CENTER>

The question the Redskins have to answer today is whether they have the requisite leadership to get the best out of Jackson. It says here that they most certainly don't. Their new head coach, former Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden, hasn't even met his entire team yet. Their star quarterback, Robert Griffin III, went from being a media darling to an alleged diva in about the same time it takes him to cover 40 yards. Finally, there's Snyder, a man who runs through coaches the way George Clooney runs through girlfriends, and rarely hits it big when signing a star free agent.
This is a place where Jackson is going to soar? For all the speculation over how dynamic the Redskins' offense will be -- with Jackson joining Griffin, running back Alfred Morris and fellow wide receivers Pierre Garcon and Andre Roberts -- we should be spending more time discussing how long it will take for this entire operation to blow up. We have no idea if Gruden has the ability to coexist with Jackson (and remember, this is a coach who spent the past two years working with A.J. Green, a low-maintenance star receiver in Cincinnati). Even further, we have no clue how Gruden will interact with Griffin.
The last time we checked, there had been no clear explanation as to what role Griffin played in the disaster that was his relationship with Gruden's predecessor in Washington, Mike Shanahan. The bulk of the blame landed in Shanahan's lap, but there were plenty of accusations that Griffin and Snyder were so cozy that the owner appeared to have a man crush on his star quarterback. Griffin also had a habit of delivering perfectly ill-timed public comments that opened up all sorts of questions about his respect for Shanahan. It's fair to wonder whether Griffin will feel even more emboldened to use similar tactics if he doesn't like what he sees in Gruden.
<!-- start podcast -->
[h=4]Mike and Mike[/h]

Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic share their thoughts on how DeSean Jackson changes the Redskins' offense, why the Eagles released Jackson and more.
More Podcasts »

<!-- end podcast -->If Griffin continues down that road, don't be surprised if Jackson follows in lockstep. NFL players aren't stupid. Most will exploit a situation if they think they can work it to their benefit. Even more will struggle to succeed in an environment that isn't stocked with strong leadership and a clear vision for success. This is a major reason the Redskins have produced only four winning seasons since 2000. Players surely know the best way to survive is by doing their jobs and trying to steer clear of all the distractions hovering around them.
Jackson surely will say and do all the right things as his career in Washington begins. That won't make him any different from the Redskins' last huge free-agent signing, former Pro Bowl defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth. Snyder gave Haynesworth a seven-year, $100 million contract in 2009, an investment that many deemed risky given Haynesworth's own red flags. A year later, Haynesworth was sparring openly with Shanahan because of Haynesworth's poor conditioning and disinterest in playing nose tackle in a 3-4 defense. By 2011, Haynesworth was playing in New England.
<!-- begin inline 1 -->
[h=4]<CENTER>NFL FREE AGENCY</CENTER>[/h]
<CENTER></CENTER><CENTER>Keep up with player moves and incisive analysis and viewpoints on ESPN.com.</CENTER>• Bill Polian's Free-Agent Tracker
Latest news, analysis: FA Wire
Williamson: Fixing remaining needs
in.gif

Polian's free-agency dos, don'ts
in.gif

ESPN Insider: Rumor Central
in.gif

<!-- END INLINE MODULE --><!-- end inline 1 -->It's difficult to say how long it will take for Jackson to become a problem, but there are going to be issues. His first six seasons in the NFL tell us that. Jackson had his run-ins when Reid was in Philadelphia -- in 2011, Jackson was deactivated for one game for missing a special teams meeting and benched in the fourth quarter of another contest after dropping two touchdown passes -- and Kelly has given every indication that Jackson's mercurial speed didn't necessarily mean he was worth keeping on the roster. The flimsy allegations that Jackson has ties to street gangs might have little to do with this. Plain and simple, the Eagles' decision to release Jackson sounds very much like an organization realizing what it can and can't control.
Now we'll see whether the Redskins really have the resources to make Philadelphia look foolish. It's likely that Jackson picked Washington mainly because of the potential $24 million that came with his three-year deal ($16 million of which reportedly is guaranteed). It's even more probable that he didn't visit with any other teams because the Redskins offered him two opportunities a year at sticking it to Kelly. Revenge is a great motivating force. It can seduce the most practical of men into believing they're making wise choices.
The reality is that Jackson should've taken more time to investigate his options. He should've been more honest with himself about what went wrong in Philadelphia and how his own actions factored into it. If anything, Jackson should've paid attention to how little interest Reid displayed in wooing him to Kansas City. The Chiefs may not have had enough money to compete with Washington -- or the other eight teams that reportedly displayed interest in signing Jackson -- but it says plenty about Jackson's maturity that Reid didn't even get into the game.
If Jackson wanted money, he certainly got it. If he wanted to stay in the NFC East, then that wish came true as well. But if Jackson coveted stability, a chance to win and a place where he could make the most of his vast potential, then it's difficult to see the logic in his decision. That's because he's just joined an organization that has been a long-running joke in the league for a good reason. And as Jackson is about to find out, that's not about to change with his arrival.

I guess I'm confused about why it's a big deal that he knows gang members? I know gang members, doesn't mean I'm in a gang doing shit. I'm sure a lot of y'all know some shady characters. Something just doesn't sit right when a dude gets trotted out in the media as guilty when he hasn't done shit.

Richard Sherman is starting to get on my last fukn nerve! He has an opinion about everything and everyone. Just shut the fuck up!!!

man. He grew up with the dude. You gotta figure he'd have an opinion about this one. Plus, he's a writer now, they got opinions for days.

The Sherman article just isn't consistent. I agree with his point(or the one he thinks he is making), but he has many absolutes that may not be true.

I also think Desean didn't get many looks and was let walk because of his on field issues

would y'all consider him a slot kinda guy?

As dumb as DeSean is, no way RG3 gives up 10 or that the league would let him switch.

Sounds like he's grabbing 11 from Aldrick.

I think the on field issues were the main reason too Twink, this gang shit is a smoke screen or what pushed Chip over the edge. Philly writers have been talking about what a diva he is for years, and it's really telling that none of his teammates came out and spoke up for him when he was released. He's lazy and a pain in the ass, but he's got great speed.

@AdamSchefter: Fact of week: DeSean Jackson will count more against the Eagles' salary-cap this season ($6.25M) than he will the Redskins' ($4.25M).

Thank you Eagles for allowing Washington to effectively pay DJax less this year than Danny Amendola!

**edit**

Even better DJax will count less on Washington's cap than Riley Cooper on Philly's (or effectively DJax counts more on the Eagles cap than Riley Cooper this year :rofl:)

Yes Riley you may jump that fence & fight every n***a in here, but 1 just won.

[video=youtube_share;yL1uV5nAV88]http://youtu.be/yL1uV5nAV88[/video]

Last edited:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...n-to-washington-redskins-a-daniel-snyder-coup

The Washington Redskins just raided a division rival's top playmaker, signing Philadelphia Eagles castoff DeSean Jackson five days after the explosive receiver hit the market, and all across the football-watching world -- and throughout the mean streets of social media, where Twitta Gangstas regulate, 140 characters at a time -- cynics are shaking their heads.

Jackson, they say, is a divisive punk who, according to a recent NJ.com article, has alleged "gang connections."

They proclaim that Redskins owner Daniel Snyder, who has a sordid history of reaching for high-profile free agents, surely must have whiffed again.

And here's my personal favorite: People are complaining that Jackson, who reportedly received $24 million over three years (with $16 million guaranteed), was "overpaid," as if their own bank account balances were affected.

Call me a simpleton -- trust me, I've heard worse ... in the past 60 seconds ... and I've probably already retweeted it -- but I see this as a glorious day for the 'Skins, a franchise in desperate need of one after last season's tumultuous train wreck.

To summarize: The 2012 NFC East champions just pried from the 2013 NFC East champs a 27-year-old three-time Pro Bowler coming off an 82-catch, 1,332-yard, nine-touchdown season, without having to surrender any compensation.

At the risk of being accused of celebrating prematurely -- always a touchy subject when it comes to Jackson -- Snyder should be taking a victory lap around Redskins Park right about now, with fans high-fiving him along the fence.

Conversely, supporters of struggling franchises with cap space who could have used a player like Jackson (yes, Cleveland Browns and Oakland Raiders, I'm talking to you) should be questioning why their owners didn't make a similarly aggressive push.

And if you're an Eagles fan, well, you'd better be really confident that Chip Kelly, still basking in the afterglow of a 10-6 record and one-and-done playoff performance from his first season as an NFL coach, is as smart as he seems to think he is.

Certainly, I can understand why Kelly might not want to coach Jackson. Though DeSean, like me,attended the world's greatest academic institution, and I've thus watched him do wondrous things on a football field for the past decade, there are times when he can be a pain in the butt. On Wednesday, I asked one man who has coached Jackson in Philadelphia to rate that on a scale from one to 10, and he replied, "10 -- just like his (uniform) number."

At Cal and in Philly, Jackson earned his MeSean nickname. He was suspended by former Eagles coachAndy Reid for missing a meeting in 2011. Last year, there were reports of similar attendance issues, as well as a high-profile sideline blowup with receivers coach Bob Bicknell.

Then again, Kelly must really not want Jackson around: The Eagles, who'd signed Jackson to a five-year, $48.5 million contract in 2012, took a $6.25 million cap hit for 2014 when they decided to release him after failing to execute a trade.

As Seattle Seahawks All-Pro cornerbackRichard Sherman adroitly pointed out inhis MMQB.com column Wednesday, it's tough not to juxtapose that decision with February's re-signing of another, less accomplished Eagles receiver, Riley Cooper, to a five-year, $25 million deal. Cooper embarrassed the organization last summer when a video surfaced of him spewing a racial epithet at a security guard during a Kenny Chesney concert, one that compelled Chesney himself to issue a statement calling it "hateful beyond words."

Yet, while Cooper was rewarded, Jackson was rejected -- and smeared, if you believe that the timing of the NJ.com article was suspiciously tied to the team's decision to cut him.

If Jackson turns out to be such an off-the-field liability that his career implodes, the Eagles will look like visionaries. If his greatest sin turns out to be that he's a high-maintenance diva at a position that attracts such personalities -- and if he keeps producing at his current level -- well, there won't be a lot of brotherly love coming Kelly's way.

Right now, of course, Kelly doesn't care. He made a successful transition from the college level, securing the crown of a weak division by eking out a victory over the Tony Romo-less Cowboys in the final game of the 2013 regular season. The world is his oyster, and his system reigns supreme.

Kelly surely believes he'll find other playmakers (like the recently acquired Darren Sproles) who'll mitigate the loss of Jackson, and that his fast-paced offense will continue to thrive. Yet, whenever I see a coach so beholden to a system, I worry that a reality check is is coming his way

No system is so brilliant that, in the 21st-century NFL, it renders personnel irrelevant -- or even just semi-relevant. Yes, X's and O's absolutely play a part in a team's success, and there is a lot to be said for coaching philosophy. However, more often than not, games are won and lost by highly specialized athletes displaying maniacal devotion to the task at hand, and there are only so many of these all-in game-changers to go around.

Jackson is one of those players -- and he's only 27. If motivation was an issue in the past, it shouldn't be in 2014. He arrives in Washington having just been humbled, in the form of his outright release from a division rival. His mission, for the foreseeable future, should be to make the Eagles (and everyone else who doubted him) pay, the way Wes Welker did to the Patriots last year.

In that sense, I think Jackson is a lot like Jared Allen (who landed with the Bears), Steve Smith(Ravens), DeMarcus Ware (Broncos), Darrelle Revis (Patriots) and several other proud veterans who were deemed expendable by their former teams after 2013 -- he's poised to channel that kick in the butt and find his inner Maximus, à la Ronnie Lott with the Raiders in 1991.

Speaking of the Raiders, whose fervent fans launched a Twitter campaign to bring Jackson "home" to Oakland ... General manager Reggie McKenzie clearly wasn't feeling their excitement. Otherwise, he -- still armed with ample cap space and under immense pressure to improve the team's 8-24 showing under his watch -- would have put on a full-court press to get a deal done once Jackson became free. Or, possibly, he'd have preempted the Redskins by trading for Jackson, as he did in prying quarterback Matt Schaub from the Texans last month.

Similarly, while the Browns reportedly were hot for Jackson, they obviously didn't come hard -- or hard enough. It was the Redskins who swooped in, lured Jackson down I-95 and closed the deal before he left town, and for that, Snyder and GM Bruce Allen deserve much credit.

Sure, Snyder has plenty of faults, and he is rightfully flogged for some of his past free-agent overreaches, most notably in the form of Albert Haynesworth. But you can't question his commitment to winning, and there's something to be said for being proactive when a unique opportunity (i.e., the chance to acquire a 27-year-old playmaker in his prime without having to give up players or picks in return) presents itself.

Yeah, Snyder had to shell out some cash, but if you're one of those people whining that Jackson was too costly, I have a question: What's it to you?

Trust me, Snyder can afford it. So can every NFL owner. All of their franchises appreciate at a ridiculous rate and they divvy up lucrative television contracts that ensure healthy profits. It's a beautiful thing. Just go with it. They've all got the scratch; some owners, like Snyder, also have the will. And for that, Redskins fans should be grateful.

Ah, but what about cap dollars, a far more pertinent concern for fans? Yes, the cap is real, and there are times when mismanaging it can negatively impact a team's fortunes, in the present and in the future. Here's a dirty little secret, however: For the most part, those observers who fret over a team's salary-cap choices are semi-delusional.

For one thing, as I recently pointed out while paraphrasing Welker's former coach, cap concerns are for losers. Winners find a way to make the cap work, and they refrain from whining about it when their team struggles. Snyder's team, after all, celebrated a division title during a span in which it was docked $36 million in cap space over two years. On Wednesday, he and Allen managed to seize the moment and score an elite skill player capable of energizing new coach Jay Gruden's offense.

For the maligned Snyder, it's time to drop the football (after crossing the goal line) and do a touchdown dance, no matter how many naysayers are shaking their heads in scorn.

Hey, it's a free country, and it's cool if we disagree. If you're a Twitta Gangsta -- or someone with Twitta Gangsta connections -- you might hate this move, and I hear you loud and clear.

If you're a Redskins fan, however, you should be giving your team's owner a resounding round of applause.

He just isn't a very good player right now who was/is overpaid. No idea about his gang relations .... I am of two minds on it ... I don't think you can blame a guy for not shunning life long friends even if they are bad people but I have a problem with his promotion of the gang lifestyle ( including use of gang signs ) even if tiny.

And I don't blame Richard Sherman for his hypocritical article for the same reason ... even though his article is ridiculously stupid. ( Actually usually enjoy his articles )

I admit that I cheer hard for RG3 because I like him as a person. It's a shame that rat-weasel hybrid backstabber, Shanahan ruined his career.

Wait, are you saying MeSean isn't a very good player?

I don't think his pay is even in the top 15 of WRs. He makes less money than Pierre Garcon and is a big step up from him.

Mehh DJax is a top 150 WR at best, prolly a 3rd WR on most teams. That career year was all Nick Foles & Chip Kelly. If you ask me he's not worth more than the vet minimum. I mean him catching the most 20+Yd TD receptions LY is smoke & mirrors. Him being amongst the leagues most explosive receivers in the NFL since day 1? Mehh ho hum.

I root for the Riley Coopers, the oppressed WR non diva! Not enough salt of the earth, strong work ethic guys like that in the NFL.
*sarcasm*

Back