Could Manny Really Go to The Fish?

~Utah

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
This would be nuts but a great deal. There is absouletly no way if this ever were to happen that the Marlins would ever have him for more then this year. They would just in all likely hood have to pay 6 to 8 million dollars which isnt too bad at all, and they are 2 games back. Im cheering for the Marlins to do this.

Alot of people said that the Willis/Cabrera trade didnt make sense, but, the Marlins have a better record then the Tigers and are closer in the playoff race.

i would be curious to see how the odds are changing for the nl east race.. i was doubtful but i think this is going to happen..

i dont see how the sox trade manny.....at least i don't see how they can trade him if they're interested in winning the WS, which i assume they are.

giggity first off how was the game you went to last sat... and i dont know the herald was talking about it and they usually have the inside scoop.. they never get worked up on marlins news... so them talking about it makes me believe it may happen... only worrisome thing is i mean honestly hanley is manny 10 years ago and i wonder if manny will have a positive or negative affect on hanley if it happens.. all depends on his attitude.. he should come in pissed and playing hard... i also worry about him playing left there is a shit load of room out in left and we have no true center fielder.. he makes as much as the whole marlins team...

i dont see how the sox trade manny.....at least i don't see how they can trade him if they're interested in winning the WS, which i assume they are.

i agree feels like such a knee jerk reaction on there part that the fish need to jump on it

if stanton is included in this deal cam maybin better get his head out of his ass.. i dont like this deal as much if its stanton hermida and allison

some more bullshit to it

Manny in three-way deal that includes Marlins, Pirates?
A new wrinkle has been added to the Manny Ramirez to Marlins' scenario. A source told MLB.com that a three-way trade may be in the works.

Under this scenario, Ramirez would go to the Marlins, while Jeremy Hermida would go to the Pirates, and Jason Bay would go to the Red Sox.

gjl, the game was awesome. the friendly confines weren't to friendly to me though. i was one of the few fish fans there and i let them know it. not sure how i feel about this deal. i don't like giving up some of our young talent to get manny for less than half the season. but then again its manny. guess we will all know soon enough

greedy fish will not part with tucker hermida and stanton... they are desperate to dump we are not going to part with that many studs

marlins will not part with stanton which is good news and make it look more like the three team trade will happen if it happens

Announcer said tonight that Manny was going to be traded to the Green Bay Packers for Brett Farve.

Will Carroll of Baseball Prospectus says the Red Sox, Pirates and Marlins have agreed to a three-team Manny Ramirez deal, pending Ramirez waiving his no-trade clause and league approval.

Carroll, not normally one of our preferred sources, has the Red Sox getting Jason Bay and John Grabow; the Marlins acquiring Ramirez, cash and a prospect from the Red Sox and the Pirates picking up Jeremy Hermida, two prospects from the Marlins and one from Boston. Jul. 30 - 9:52 pm et
Source: Baseball Prospectus

http://rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines.aspx?sport=MLB&hl=245453

A buddy of mine is interning for KDKASports in Pittsburgh and just texted me saying the same thing and the story is being worked on as we speak, Its all pending on Manny basically

bay is legit altho not close to manny's level and unproven in october so its still a dumbass move by the sox, and i assume the prospects are legit as well, so it makes sense.

if manny has really turned into this big of an issue then maybe the sox feel they have to do it but its their own fault for blowin the situation up with epsteins quote to mccarver over the weekend.

i think manny was hanley's mentor or some shit before he got traded so maybethat relationship will cement the deal. manny said he's down to leave, i hope he hasn't changed his mind.

gjl, you ever think this marlin season was going to be this exciting? i hope the nl east continues to be a race till the end.

as a phillies fan, i could not be less concerned about the marlins - even if they get manny

if they finish over .500 ill be surprised

they dont play defense and all they do is hit homeruns...so i guess on that front manny should fit right in!

giggity no sir i didnt not without jj and annibal.. smoke dawg will be in for a nice surprise when annibal comes back and we take the series from the phillies on monday

besides i hope we can trade jacobs slide cantu to first and bring up mcpherson .. that will improve our defense..... phillies and mets are going to be in for a nice surprise as they have been this whole season

In an article updated at 11:50 pm EDT, SI.com's Jon Heyman says that a deal between the Marlins and Red Sox for Manny Ramirez is close and that the teams have relayed their dealings to the commissioner's office.
That goes along with what Will Carroll wrote earlier. The Red Sox will need Bud Selig's approval since they're expected to pick up the $7 million that Ramirez is still owed as part of a deal. Jul. 31 - 12:11 am et
Source: SI.com

hope to hang onto stanton also. i am ok with the talks of us losing hermida. rather him than willingham. they keep waiting for the fish to fall off but the fish just keep coming. how about anibal tomorrow in his first start back?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/07/31/manny.sweepstakes/index.html?eref=T1

The Marlins and Pirates are both said to be haggling with the Red Sox over a prospect or two in a potential three-team blockbuster that would send embattled superstar Manny Ramirez to Florida in what could rank as the surprise blockbuster of the century. But while there's still some back and forth going on, people involved in the talks are still expressing optimism that the deal will eventually get done and that the $20 million player will go to the $22 million team.
The Red Sox have talked to other teams about Ramirez, but their talks appear to be centered on the Marlins now. People involved in the discussions say several combinations of players and teams are being discussed, but in just about all of them Ramirez would wind up with the Marlins. No deal has been agreed to yet, and it's still possible Ramirez could remain with the Red Sox, though it's now believed that the deal will be consummated close to Thursday's 4 p.m. ET non-waiver trade deadline.
There's still work to be done in the Red Sox-Marlins part of the megadeal, but one swap that's on the table would send young outfielder Jeremy Hermida, power-hitting outfield prospect Mike Stanton and hard-throwing young pitcher Ryan Tucker from Florida to Boston for Ramirez. However, the Marlins are said to be trying to keep the highly-regarded Stanton out of the trade. Josh Willingham was discussed as a replacement for Hermida, but it appears Hermida would be the main player going in the first part of a potential deal.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/?p=967

July 30, 2008, 09:03 PM ET
We Have A Deal But …

by Will Carroll

The Commissioner’s Office has been informed of a deal involving the Pirates, Red Sox, and Marlins. The Commissioner has to sign off on any deal involving cash considerations of more than a million dollars, and there was clearly going to be cash involved in any deal involving these teams. There’s also some formality about Manny Ramirez waiving his 10-and-5 rights, and no-trade clause, and I’ll admit not understanding the technicalities.

So here’s what Pee Wee Herman would call the “big but”: the teams, I am told, have not agreed on the specific prospects to be included in the deal. It’s expected that in addition to the principals, the Red Sox would get John Grabow and give up two prospects, while the Marlins would get one prospect and give up two. There’s still a lot of haggling but my scribbling notes make it look like the structure of the deal is:

Marlins get Manny Ramirez, one prospect (Red Sox), and cash (likely covering Ramirez’s remaining salary)

Pirates get Jeremy Hermida and three prospects (two Marlins, one Red Sox)

Red Sox get Jason Bay and John Grabow

There is still potential for this to fall apart over the prospects, but things appear closer now than ever before.

hope to hang onto stanton also. i am ok with the talks of us losing hermida. rather him than willingham. they keep waiting for the fish to fall off but the fish just keep coming. how about anibal tomorrow in his first start back?

really i would rather lose the hammer, eventhough he is my favorite player, hermida was highly touted and i feel like next year is his year... man i am excited about anibal tomorrrow... he had some rough time this offseason, lost a child, and hope he takes his anger out on opposing hittters. please dont let stanton go that would make this a bad deal.. tucker is expendable.... cam maybin may not pan out for a long time.....

eventhough god dont ever put manny in left he would bomb..... we have one of the biggest left fields in the league...

its cute how optimistic you marlin fans are, but in reality they will crash and burn soon

you just cant sustain winning playing the way they do

theyre actually incredibly lucky to even be where they are when you consider theyve been outscored by their opponents for the season

1217477867.jpg

smokedawg, i am not going to try and argue that the marlins aren't getting lucky right now. but how many teams have made it into the playoffs and even won the world series of having a lucky season and getting hot at the right time. marlins have won two championships as the wild card, i'll say thats pretty lucky. bartman was luck. sometimes luck happens.

smoke dawg its cute how optmistic you are.. the phillies are never going to win a world series in that ball park. check out your starting pitcher numbers

fish pickup rhodes.. looks like grabow will not be a fish with that deal... not a fan of rhodes but we didnt give up much for another lefty

deal may be a last minute one...

heard on the radio manny's agreed to it so i guess all thats left is for the teams to agree on the prospects

marlins are blaming the pirates and pirates are blaming the marlins... perhaps the pirates are trying to see any other bay offers? not sure

b;lue jays trying to get bay i wonder if this is a leverage ploy..

As the Red Sox, Marlins and Pirates continue to try to piece together their Manny Ramirez-Jason Bay blockbuster, the buzz around the sport is that the Pirates are still talking to other teams about Bay.
The latest team to make a run is Toronto. It seems doubtful that the Blue Jays would give up the three-prospect package Pittsburgh is looking for, almost certainly starting with outfield phenom Travis Snider. But Toronto and Pittsburgh were still talking as of Thursday afternoon.

i dont get how the pirates give up marte and nady for jack shit and are trying to be pushy with bay doesnt make sense to me

then again maybe the marlins are just being stubborn

i dont get how the pirates give up marte and nady for jack shit and are trying to be pushy with bay doesnt make sense to me

I dont get how the Pirates can continue to be worse and worse every year?

Jack shit? They got one of the best yankee prospect hitter and one of the best yankee prospect pitchers?

I dont even understand why the Pirates are doing this trade and why the Marlins are doing this trade either. Do the Marlins really gain that much out of it? And why arent the Pirates trading for PITCHING. They have the 4th best offense in the league. The starters have the worst ERA in the league, obviously we need defense not offense

yeah im not sure the pirates wouldnt want some of those pitchers that the Marlins arent currently using. they have such a deep system.

what is anabel sanchez doing with himself these days? he hurt or he in the minors?

ill give u tabata the other pitchers arent very impresssive.. the marlins need a consistent hitter and we get rid of hermida whom needs a team change.. the pirates would be getting ryan tucker who will either a. be a good reliever or b. he has to develop another pitch to become a starter

yeah im not sure the pirates wouldnt want some of those pitchers that the Marlins arent currently using. they have such a deep system.

what is anabel sanchez doing with himself these days? he hurt or he in the minors?

sanchez is actually starting tonight

mlb.com is saying that what might be holding it up is the money, since the Marlins want Boston to pay Manny's salary for the rest of this season, where the marlins would probably let him walk after this season. I guess the league has to make sure of the monies moving around for this deal to work

mlb.com is saying that what might be holding it up is the money, since the Marlins want Boston to pay Manny's salary for the rest of this season, where the marlins would probably let him walk after this season. I guess the league has to make sure of the monies moving around for this deal to work

fuckin money marlins are greedy.. i wrote in another thread our owner pockets 9 or 11 mil cant remeber from the luxury tax.. we get 31 mil in tax and had a payroll of 20 or 22 mil give me a fucking break... i know we are going to have to shell out some dough to keep miller sanchez johnson olsen volstad maybin corey madden and stanton down the road but come on.. ohh and nolasco

Back