Congratulations to the San Jose State Spartans (official news release)

Rosco

OFFICIAL NEWS RELEASE
Spontaneous break-dancing and other spasms of jubilation burst forth on the streets of San Jose when it became known that the San Jose State Spartans were headed to the Citrus Bowl. The honor was bestowed by ESPN, the global sports leader, in consultation with their factotum, the NCAA. The Spartans, whose signature win came on the road at Hawaii, will oppose the Georgia State Panthers in the thirty-third renewal of the holiday classic. The event will transpire in the beautiful city of Orlando on December 19.

San Jose State coach Ron Caragher, while deflecting questions about the bonus provision in his contract, called the bowl assignment a fitting reward for an eventful season. Caragher identified team chemistry as the main factor in his team’s rise to prominence.

“Our players just happen to have a lot in common besides football,” said Caragher. “I’ve been lucky in this regard. Having common interests outside the football field has certainly strengthened our team’s esprit-de-corps.”

By some strange alchemy, notes Caragher, an unusually high number of players are pursuing degrees in communication studies. The world-renowned Department of Communication Studies at San Jose State University is designed to prepare student-athletes for an exciting career in the burgeoning field of telemarketing.

Dr. Llewellyn Womblatt, the president of San Jose State University, predicts that the big game will come to stand as a pivotal moment in the history of San Jose sports.

“I don’t follow college football very closely,” said Womblatt. “On Saturdays I’m out on the links. But I know enough about college football to know that when we’re talking Georgia State we’re talking about the SEC, yes the Southeastern Conference, the most idolized brand in the world of higher education. One of my priorities when I took this job was to get our institution admitted to the SEC. Vanquishing an SEC school like Georgia State on such a big stage will certainly aid that cause.”

Fans descending on Orlando for the SJSU-Georgia State game have little reason to fear a shortage of hotel rooms. “We have hotel rooms up the wazoo around here,” says Wilton Niblett, a spokesman for the Convention and Visitors Bureau. If the crunch is too severe, says Niblett, no problem. The weather in Orlando in December is ideal for sleeping outdoors.

“We have a finite allotment of tickets,” says SJSU athletic sales and marketing director Harvey Flugelman. “When they’re gone, they’re gone.” Flugelman encourages fans to get their orders in early to avoid having to deal with the unscrupulous brokers in the secondary marketplace.

I couldn't find it online anywhere but here. Looks like this might be a Rosco original.

All I'm going to say is, how in the world is 5-7 SJST favored over anyone 4000 miles away from home?

Back