CONFIRMED Injury, Transfer, or Suspension Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter SoonerBS
  • Start date Start date
Offensive line takes beating from injuries
[SIZE=-2]Matt Winkeljohn - Staff[/SIZE]

[FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Thursday, August 17, 2006[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]It's clear that Georgia Tech's football team is quite beat up, especially along both lines, and that the offensive line is in dreadful shape as starting guards Nate McManus and Matt Rhodes weren't even at practice Wednesday.
Beyond that, it's shades of gray, although coach Chan Gailey said, "I think this is the most [injured players] we've ever had [in his four-plus years at Tech]," and he admitted that an offensive line missing three starters is "a little tenuous, and that's probably being positive."
McManus (left leg) and Rhodes were injured in Tuesday's scrimmage. Their absence and those of starting right tackle Mansfield Wrotto (left ankle) and top backup guard Jacob Lonowski (shoulder) made it tough on the entire offense in a week where two defensive linemen have switched to offense.
"We just have to continue to practice like those guys [McManus and Rhodes] aren't going to be back, but hopefully they will be," center Kevin Tuminello said.
Gailey most often speaks of injured players in terms of whether they're expected to be out long- or short-term.
When asked if he knew enough to predict that McManus or Rhodes --- who visited doctors Wednesday --- might return short-term, the coach said, "I don't know that much yet."
It got worse Wednesday after backup center Trey Dunmon moved to No. 1 right guard and backup right guard LeShawn Newberry moved to No. 1 left guard.
Dunmon went down screaming late in practice and was taken from the field. He was replaced by Dan Voss. "It was a leg, but I don't know what part," Gailey said of Dunmon.
Monday, the Jackets moved sophomore defensive linemen David Brown and Andrew Folkner, a walk-on, to right tackle and center. Also, Will Miller, who has been injured, has moved from tackle to guard.
Wednesday, Brown and Folkner were second-teamers.
"It's extremely hard [to practice], especially when you went into the season thinking [the offensive line] was a strength, and now all of the sudden we're really scrambling," Gailey said. "We've got guys playing in that second offensive line that have been in the offensive line for two days."
Anyaibe fills in at end
Starting defensive ends Darrell Robertson (who is no longer wearing a precautionary collar on his neck) and Adamm Oliver (sprained ankle) and top reserve Michael Johnson were out, so backup tackle Elris Anyaibe moved to starting end.
Two days earlier, starting tackle Joe Anoai moved to the other end. Regarding injured defenders, including safety Djay Jones, Gailey said, "I don't see them out past the middle of next week."
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Florida's Troubled OL--Found this On a Blog

Gators Offensive Line takes a hit

By David B Section: Football

Posted on Mon Aug 14, 2006 at 07:03:20 PM EST

The bad news coming out of practice field was the loss of projected RG starter Ronnie Wilson. He broke a bone in his ankle and is slated to be out for six weeks. The offensive line prior to the injury looked like this.

LT Phil Trautwein
LG Jim Tart
C Steve Rissler
RG Ronnie Wilson
RT Drew Miller

The offensive line already was young and this definately changes things. Who the Gators turn to will be the topic for discussion from here on out until the season starts. There is talk of rotating the line around to accomodate available personnel.

As far as offensive lineman from the famed 2006 recruiting class, here are some of the available personnel we have:

OL Carl Johnson 6-6/335
OL Maurice Hurt 6-3-344
OL Marcus Gilbert 6-6/280
OL/DL Corey Hobbs 6-5/310
OL Jim Barrie 6-5/305

Some of the more experienced options include:

OL Simon Codrington 6-7/302
OL Marcus Gilbert 6-6/303
OL Eddie Haupt 6-4/295
OL Carlton Medder 6-4/295
OL Jason Watkins 6-6/310

The Gator's pre-camp depth chart looked like this. The question I have is it better to rotate a projected starter like RT Drew Miller back to Guard, and make room at RT, or keep Miller where he is and fit someone else in at Guard.

Cal CB Tim Mixon, one of the Pac-10's best DBs, injured his knee and is awaiting the results of an MRI. The Upshot: If the Bears get bad news on Mixon, expect redshirt freshman Syd'Quan Thompson to get the first shot at the job.
-- UF LB Jon Demps suffered a second torn ACL on his left knee, an injury that will likely sideline him for the season. The Upshot: UF will have to rely on freshmen linebackers Brandon Spikes, A.J. Jones and Dustin Doe. Fortunately for Urban Meyer, he has two other very good experienced LBs starting to take some of the heat off these kids.
-- Tennessee junior CB Roshaun Fellows (torn pec) needs surgery and also is out for the season. The Upshot: UT plays safety Demetrice Morley as the third cornerback. Morley started at strong safety in last Saturday's scrimmage.
-- Oklahoma State WR Anthony Parks (hip) also is done for the year. The JC transfer was a projected starter and was the star of OSU's spring game. The Upshot: More pressure on UNC transfer Adarius Bowman who will have to take some of the focus off of D'Juan Woods.
-- Clemson linebacker Tremaine Billie has a broken right ankle and could be out up to eight weeks. The Upshot: Highly-touted Antonio Clay takes over the starting job, although it's worth noting that Tiger coaches stressed he really hasn't earned the first team because he has been blowing too many assignments. -- Iowa State DE Kurtis Taylor tore a knee ligament during Saturday's 100-play scrimmage and is gone for the year. The Upshot: Look for promising Rashawn Parker to step into Taylor's starting job on a defense that has already been depleted.

California will have to pursue a Pac-10 football title without one of its key contributors.
Senior cornerback Tim Mixon is out for the season after tearing an anterior cruciate ligament while returning a punt during Thursday's scrimmage, ESPN.com's Joe Schad reported.
Mixon, one of the nation's top punt returners, left the field on crutches and with a brace on his right knee. Surgery will be needed after an MRI revealed the torn ACL.

MINNEAPOLIS -- Another day, another Minnesota running back suspended.
Coach Glen Mason suspended Jay Thomas on Friday for the season opener against Kent State because of an unspecified violation of team rules, two days after suspending Brylee Callender indefinitely for the same reason.

yeah garfather...does the dude even have a back-up at this point that's actually a true RB?...

Football: Ex-Clemson player to transfer to FAU

By Marcus Nelson

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Monday, August 21, 2006

BOCA RATON — Florida Atlantic might have found an expert on Clemson and its tight end of the future just days before the Owls face the Tigers in their season opener.

Tight end Paul Muse, who was with the Tigers until being dismissed from the team Wednesday, plans to enroll and attend classes today.

"This seems like a good place for me," Muse said Sunday after watching FAU practice. "They look young, but they look good."

Muse, who used 2005 as a redshirt freshman season, will have to sit out the 2006 season because of NCAA transfer rules and won't be on the field when the Owls face the Tigers on Sept.'2 at Death Valley, but could be eligible next season as a sophomore. Once Muse is an official FAU student, he likely would practice with the Owls this season.

Muse said he was unfairly sentenced to community service by Clemson's student judiciary for his role in a campus fight.

Muse would not have been allowed to play until he completed 200 hours of community service.
"There was some crazy stuff with the judicial board, so it was best I get out of there," Muse said. "I just want to be playing."

Muse attended Sunday's FAU practice with his family wearing a Clemson T-shirt, which drew some odd looks from some of the FAU players.
The 6-foot-5, 255-pound Muse was a high school teammate of FAU freshman tight end Jamari Grant at Jacksonville-First Coast.

"He told me good things about FAU," Muse said.
Muse also played in a high school all-star game with FAU quarterback Rusty Smith.

His senior season, Muse was recruited by Auburn, UCF, Georgia Tech, Indiana, Maryland and Mississippi. Muse was ranked as the No. 19 tight end in the nation and No.'61 player in Florida by Rivals.com.

FAU coach Howard Schnellenberger had no comment on Muse.

"There may be something to announce in a day or two," Schnellenberger said.

Muse's attendance at Sunday's light workout might have been the perfect way for FAU to close its pre-season training camp and begin preparation for facing the Tigers.

"We thought we should close down training camp and start to work on Clemson," Schnellenberger said.

Beginning with today's practice, scout teams will be imitating Clemson plays.

FAU also canceled a scrimmage set for Wednesday.

"With our injuries, I think we are better off condensing the offense and having a game plan," Schnellenberger said.

The injured players include offensive lineman Antes Perkins (knee) and safety Taheem Acevedo (ankle).

Florida's Vaunted Classes Down to Just 23 of 49

Florida coach Urban Meyer has talked about his team being front-loaded and back-loaded - a lot of seniors and a lot of underclassmen. In between, not so much.

It's not that the highly rated classes of 2003 and '04 didn't produce special players still on the team - Chris Leak, Andre Caldwell, Earl Everett and Brandon Siler to name a few - and a majority of the starters.

The problem is that of the 49 players signed those two years, there are only 23 still in the program.

The result is that the two classes signed by Meyer are providing almost all of the depth on the 2006 team.

Of the 26 players who are gone, five failed to qualify. Eight of them were junior college players signed in a questionable move by Ron Zook and his staff. Two left early for the NFL.

The other 11 came to Florida under Zook but are gone for one reason or another. Certainly, anytime there is a coaching change, there is going to be some attrition. Some players left voluntarily, some were sent packing because they had issues with the core values Meyer demands.

In many cases, Meyer has given the players the option of playing for a semester without a scholarship, as wide receiver Kenneth Tookes is doing during Summer B. Some have chosen to stay, others have bolted.

This again goes back to one of my core values - never take recruiting rankings too seriously. OK, my core values are a little more serious than that, but it's definitely a rule of thumb.

The game How many times do those of us who are big college football fans have to defend the sport to those who think it's a bunch of thugs on steroids taking chair-stacking classes and money from boosters? And we try to explain to them that things are different now, that coaches don't cheat the way they used to and players go to school for an education, not as a tool to play football.

And then you have an offseason like this one.

How many players have been in trouble? ESPN's ultra-talented columnist Pat Forde put together an all-star team of players who have had off-the-field troubles. And he had no trouble filling the offense, defense and special teams.

You know it's bad when we're asking questions about gun policies at SEC Media Days.

But there is also a school of thought that coaches and administrators are less lenient and, as a result, players who mess up get punished.

The truth lies somewhere in between.

13th game Clemson coach Tommy Bowden recently suggested that college football look at the idea of allowing schools to play scrimmages against other schools. He brought up the possibilities of a scrimmage game against Tennessee in Charlotte or Auburn in Atlanta.

Obviously, NFL teams do it throughout August.

I like the idea a lot better in the spring.

Meyer said he is not in favor of playing other teams during the summer.

"Not with a 12-game schedule," he said. "Too many injuries."

Storming the field Hey, guess what? The [URL="http://www.gatorsports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?template=wiki&text=National_Collegiate_Athletic_Association"]NCAA[/URL] is actually addressing the post-game celebrations at football games that too often result in injuries.

"Post-game celebrations may be well intended but end up in serious injury," Dennis Poppe, [URL="http://www.gatorsports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?template=wiki&text=National_Collegiate_Athletic_Association"]NCAA[/URL] managing director for football said this week.

"We must continue to do all we can to minimize the potential for catastrophic events."

[URL="http://www.gatorsports.com/apps/pbcs.dll/section?template=wiki&text=National_Collegiate_Athletic_Association"]NCAA[/URL] chief Myles "Turtle" Brand sent a memo to all of the schools last month including a checklist for all of the precautions that should take place.

"You know how we feel about that," Florida athletic director Jeremy Foley said, "and you know how hard we work at it."

A recount This week South Carolina declared safety Brandon Isaac ineligible because the school messed up his transcript. He was also ineligible last year when he played in all 12 games.

Wait a minute. Does that mean South Carolina forfeits all of its games?

And if it does, isn't Florida the champ of the SEC East?

Let's order the rings and prepare for the trophy presentation.

Naw.Could you imagine if a school led a charge to vacate a title for something like that and demand to receive something it didn't earn? OK, other than Tennessee in '84?

Sweet home There is a possibility that half of the 12 football teams in the SEC will have quarterbacks from the state of Alabama, especially if Chris Smelley takes over the job at South Carolina.

Of course, there is also the possibility that by the middle of the season the only quarterback starting from the state of Alabama will be Auburn's Brandon Cox.

We already talked before the season about how volatile the quarterback situations were heading into camp around the conference. It appears that two-a-days have only muddled the picture more.

He loves L.A. The first order of business for new NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, according to some, is to get a franchise in Los Angeles.

Why?I know that it seems silly that the king of sports does not have a franchise in the second-largest market in the country? But the NFL increased its per-team TV revenues by more than $70 million without Los Angeles under Paul Tagliabue.

Franchises left there for a reason. I say leave it alone.

Cruising One of the best events in Gainesville takes place tonight at the Reitz Union when the 14th annual Caribbean Cruise kicks off at 5:30 p.m.
The incredible event has so many silent auction prizes it will make you dizzy, plus a plethora of other activities.

This year will also be a farewell of sorts for James Bates, who hosts the event along with UF soccer coach Becky Burleigh. The two have done a remarkable job over the years, but Bates is moving to Colorado.

Florida baseball coach Pat McMahon will take over for Bates next year.

Junior golf It's such a good idea you wonder why every course doesn't try it.

Haile Plantation on Sunday will open junior tees on the course in conjunction with its Junior Golf Fest Weekend.

The "Kids Club" tees range from 2,200 yards for nine holes to 3,800 yards. The idea is to keep youngsters from getting discouraged by the length of a regulation golf course.

Makes sense to me. Especially because I have a 5-year old.

Pat-pourri Who would have thought we'd ever see Bubba Dickerson and Tom Watson doing a commercial together? ... Or that Joe Buck would do every sporting event on Fox? ... Can it be any stranger with Maurice Clarett? Remember, this is a guy who committed to Notre Dame as a junior and told the coaching staff he would skip his senior year to come to South Bend early. ... In his new book, Lou Holtz takes credit for Steve Spurrier being at South Carolina because of the great situation Holtz left behind. No, Spurrier went there despite the mess Holtz left behind. ... Some schools are in danger of losing D-I status in football because they can't draw an average of 15,000 fans per game. I say boot 'em and invite some Texas high school programs which regularly do that. ... Two weeks, baby. Just two weeks until it's here. ... Be safe.

ASU QB Situation From SundayMorningQuarterback.com

Monday, August 21, 2006

KOETTER CUTS KELLER, CALLS KID CARPENTER'S CARD IN COLLECTIVE QUARTERBACK COUP
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Story updated at bottom

Very weird about face out west Sunday night, where, just two days after naming "humbled" senior Sam Keller the gatekeeper of an inevitable 3,700-yard, 33-touchdown season and extolling fans to "rally behind Sam," Arizona State coach Dirk Koetter has abruptly handed the keys instead to sophomore Rudy Carpenter (Big Hat Tip to Devil fan and busy new dad Mark).

The Associated Press is reporting a possible bottom-drops-out scenario for Keller:

----------

"It's simple. I made a mistake on the quarterback situation and I'm changing my mind," Koetter said after Sunday's workout. "We're going to start Rudy Carpenter. I've excused Sam Keller from practice to consider his options." (Emphasis SMQ's)

--------
So what, exactly, can take a coach from officially installing a productive fifth-year senior as the leader of his offense and team to telling him to hit the showers for good in less than 36 hours? Grassroots politics, apparently:

--------

According to the East Valley Tribune, several players requested a meeting with Koetter after the initial decision and told the coach they believed the job should go to Carpenter.

Neither Koetter nor Carpenter would confirm that the meeting took place.

"I talked to so many people about this," Koetter said. "This has been weighing heavy on my mind for a long, long time and I'm the one that screwed it up. I have to live with it. I'm also the one who has to fix it."

---------

Koetter sounds like a coach remorseful about making a call to go for it on fourth down that backfired in the heat of a game. SMQ has never heard a coach on the record with that kind of statement about personnel - especially within two days of a superficially predictable decision in practice, before a game is played, and it hasn't even had a chance to go wrong. The very short initial East Valley Tribune article, the first link above, does not, as the AP indicates, mention any kind of team meeting (an earlier version may have), but it does say "initial reports" were that Keller was out the door. E-mailer Mark referred to this as a "player revolt." The competition had previously been described as "a pressure-cooker" in which neither Keller nor Carpenter had distinguished himself over the other. Unless half the rest of the team threatened to quit over this move, it is completely baffling on Koetter's part. And if that is the case, it's baffling the coach wouldn't realize the players' general sentiments before naming a player College Football Resource calls "perhaps arrogant" and " always...on the brink of meltdown with his on-field emotions" as a starter.

- - - - -
Have Sam Keller and his ASU teammates lost that lovin' feelin'?

Not that the confirmation of Keller's defection will have nearly the impact on ASU's January wishes and Rose Bowl dreams as Rhett Bomar's disgraced sojourn from Oklahama to as yet parts unknown will to the fortune of his former team. SMQ and roommate of SMQ will have no trouble plugging in Carpenter on online NCAA Football battles, where the high-octane Devils have become the household's flagship Web team. Carpenter was more than capable in his debut following Keller's hand injury, completing a significantly higher percent of his passes (68.4 percent to Keller's 58.7) for more yards per game (355 in complete performances to 344 by Keller) and fewer interceptions (2 to 9) while leading the nation in passing efficiency. This as a true freshman.

It's true that Keller faced the Devils' toughest defensive opponents (LSU, USC, Oregon) and still did eye-poppingly well numbers-wise, while Carpenter was busy later in the year torching the likes of Washington, UCLA and Rutgers; this tougher competition is a good explanation for Carpenter's 4-1 record as a starter, vs. Keller at 3-3 (SMQ is counting the Stanford loss as a wash, as both played significantly; Keller started, Carpenter took most of the snaps). Rudy also padded his stats in mop up duty against the woeful Northwestern defense, going 7-8 with a touchdown, all the better to improve the numbers against "winning teams." So the better numbers alone aren't necessarily telling a complete story in this case (as they so rarely do).

But rest assured Carpenter will resume ripping up ASU's record book in short order regardless the opponent - or at least he'd better, as stacked as the skill talent is at every position around him, and being Mr. Popularity and all. The veteran offensive line - which all of us can envision halfheartedly swiping at blitzers and missing assignments as Keller was crushed into either futile stoicism or frustrated belligerance - will apparently have reason now to keep their boy clean, pick him up after hits and pick fights with cheapshotting linebackers, etc. Always fun (not Leftwich Gets a Lift fun, maybe, but still an added element to the drama of a game).

As for Koetter, SMQ can't decide if suddenly overturning a decision that hasn't even taken effect, much less had time to fail, at the heed of his players is sound democracy in action or going soft when the inmates knock on the asylum's office door. Freezing Keller out completely would seem to be an overreaction, but that's without knowing the severity of the players' reaction or what went on in the alleged team meeting - if such a meeting took place - or any other fly-on-the-wall details. More is up here than meets the eye. Message board-skulking types will commence with conspiracy theories straightaway, no doubt, and scandalous, irresponsible gossip is encouraged.

UPDATE, 7:40 a.m.
The Arizona Republic confirms the meeting through receiver Terry Richardson - suspended by Koetter in the Spring - who called the pow wow "a mutual thing" among the team's player leadership (SMQ presumes "leader" in this case is an official title for a sort of player council member). Carpenter is also quoted as saying, after being named the backup Friday, ""I felt like I'm going to go to this scrimmage and play good and show everybody why I should be the starting quarterback or I might not even go at all." (emphasis SMQ's)

Carpenter is not contrite in the Tribune's more fleshed out version this morning, either. That story, along with columnist Scott Bordow, also says sources "close to the program" reported a meeting with 19 players on Saturday. Bordow's editorial echoed SMQ's initial sentiments:

-------------

When the players voiced their support of Carpenter — essentially throwing Keller under the bus — Koetter presumably decided it was best for the team if Carpenter was the starter.

If that’s the case — and we can’t be sure because Koetter wouldn’t go into specifics Sunday — then shame on the coach and his players.

Keller deserved better from his teammates. He lost his job because of an injury, played in the spring even when he wasn’t 100 percent, and now he’s the victim of a mutiny? How shameful.

Keller also deserved more support from his head coach. If Koetter truly believed Keller earned the starting job, he should have told his players to shut up and play. Let the inmates run the asylum, and chaos is soon to follow.

If Koetter was worried that the players’ dissatisfaction with Keller would cause dissension in the locker room and issues on the field, well, it’s his job to quash those problems.

Even if Carpenter threatened to transfer, that shouldn't have caused Keller to lose his job.

It would be a terrible precedent to set. Not happy? Play the transfer card, and if you’re important enough, you’ll get what you want.

----

Who does Carpenter think he is, Jorge Rafael Videla?

BREAKING NEWS: Darby injured in Monday morning workouts

By Christopher Walsh
Sports Writer

TUSCALOOSA | University of Alabama senior running back Kenneth Darby injured his left knee at practice Monday morning, potentially damaging the Crimson Tide's offensive hopes for 2006.Darby, who had missed the past few days of practice -- including Saturday's scrimmage -- dealing with a family matter, was participating in a goal-line forward drill about two hours into Monday's workout when he was tackled by Chris Rogers.

Darby was down on the field for about five minutes while being attended to before being carried off by two trainers into the Hank Crisp Indoor Practice Center. Darby emerged shortly thereafter with ice on his knee.

Darby, a 5-foot-11, 215-pound senior from Huntsville, is seventh on Alabama's all-time rushing yards list with 2,489. He needs 1,077 yards to break Shaun Alexander's school record of 3,565 rushing yards.

Check www.tidesports.com later Monday for more news on Darby's injury.

Please, Somebody Update the Bama RB Depth Chart...

From the Covers rumormill (via HawaiiGuy):

holy shit, thanks for the confirmation and link!!!!!

I just confirmed.....

Alabama's second string running back is done for the season as well!

Third stringer could do it but has not practiced due to head injury.....

looking good for Hawaii........

Kentucky suspends two players for season opener

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- University of Kentucky wide receiver John Logan and offensive lineman Micah Jones will be suspended for the season-opening game Sept. 3 at the University of Louisville.
Coach Rich Brooks announced the suspension yesterday after a closed scrimmage at Commonwealth Stadium, saying the players would be suspended "for a violation of team rules."

Logan is a 6-foot junior who entered the preseason listed as a starter at wide receiver.
Jones, a 6-4, 330-pound sophomore, was out of practice most of the week with a back injury. He returned yesterday but did not participate in the scrimmage. Jones entered camp fifth on the depth chart at right guard

rjurewitz said:
From the Covers rumormill (via HawaiiGuy):

holy shit, thanks for the confirmation and link!!!!!

I just confirmed.....

Alabama's second string running back is done for the season as well!

Third stringer could do it but has not practiced due to head injury.....

looking good for Hawaii........

The worst I've been able to find is a possible bruised knee. He returned at the end of practice, probably hold him out of contact the rest of the week.

Razor said:
The worst I've been able to find is a possible bruised knee. He returned at the end of practice, probably hold him out of contact the rest of the week.

We'll keep an eye on it but I think it's just wishful thinking on part of the Rainbows.

Thanks.

great information here...can't believe the ASU debacle...well, I can since Koetter's involved in it, but you know what I'm saying...

University of Virginia junior offensive tackle Eddie Pinigis transferred to Liberty yesterday after deciding to leave the Virginia football program over the weekend. He entered the season first on the depth chart at right tackle, but redshirt freshman Will Barker recently overtook him.
"I feel like I'm a starter. I feel like I should be a starter up there," said Pinigis, who started five games last season. "The other day they came out with the depth chart, and they had me on the second team. I feel like I didn't do anything to lose my first-team spot. I played against some of the best defensive ends in the ACC. I felt like I proved myself with my game experience."

PRACTICE NOTEBOOK: Shula downplays Darby knee injury

August 21, 2006

TUSCALOOSA | The University of Alabama football team got their biggest scare of fall camp Monday morning when star running back Kenneth Darby went down with a left knee injury.

The injury appeared to be serious initially, but after practice coach Mike Shula downplayed the severity of the situation.

“I think it’s just a bruised knee,” Shula said. “He came back out and felt alright at the end [of practice]. He just got a helmet right on his knee, but I think he should be fine.”

The Alabama offense was working in what Shula calls “backed up” drill, in which the offense works out from its own goal line.

Darby got the handoff and bounced it to the right side. Freshman defensive back Chris Rogers supplied the hit, and Darby was in immediate pain. He was on the ground for nearly five minutes, and then was helped off the field by two trainers.

The trainers took him inside the Hank Crisp Indoor Practice Facility, and about five minutes later Darby made his re-entry onto the practice fields with an ice pack on the front of his left knee.

While Darby was down on the field, his teammates showed concern as they came by to check on him.

“He was fine,” cornerback Ramzee Robinson said. “I was just checking on him to make sure he was okay, and he is, so that’s good.”

“It got everyone there quiet,” Shula said. “A couple of our older guys went down earlier, but they were okay. It’s football, unfortunately. You hate to see that, but it was good to see [Darby] pop back up.”

Senior defensive tackle Dominic Lee sustained an injury earlier in practice. The 6-foot-4, 289-pounder was down on the ground for several minutes before walking gingerly off the field with assistance.

Shula said Lee injured either his left hip or groin.

“He got banged up early, but it’s nothing that should keep him out,” Shula said. “Hopefully, he can go tonight, but if not maybe he’ll be ready to go by Tuesday.”

Sophomore center Antoine Caldwell also was banged up during practice. Caldwell had his right ankle taped heavily soon after.

Offensive guards B.J. Stabler (knee) and Marlon Davis (knee) were also held out of contact work this morning.

David Ross (knee), Glen Coffee (knee), Jamie Christensen (groin) and Justin Woodall (ankle) were all wearing orange jerseys this morning.

Offense gets work In the team period, sophomore quarterback John Parker Wilson completed 5-of-7 passes, including a long touchdown to Will Oakley. Marc Guillon did not complete a pass in three attempts.

In the red zone period, Wilson was 3-of-6 with a touchdown to Keith Brown. Wilson just missed on another score to Oakley when mock referee Chris Ball (defensive backs coach) ruled that Oakley had one foot out of the end zone.

Guillon was 1-of-2 with a touchdown pass to Tim Castille.

At Bryant-Denny Stadium tonight The Alabama football team will practice tonight 7:30 p.m. at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Shula said the main reason was to get the players some exposure to the lights at the stadium.

“Most of our games over there will be at night,” Shula said. “And we haven’t done that yet. We need to get the young guys used to the lights. We’ll have the scoreboards up. We’re trying to put them in an atmosphere that simulates a game.”

The workout is closed to both the public and the media.

Alabama plans on scrimmaging Tuesday afternoon at the practice facility. That workout will be closed to the public, but open to the media.

Reno Gazette-Journal

Chris Ault confirmed Tuesday that senior wideout Kyle Sammons (broken collarbone) will not play this season and will use his redshirt year.
"That is a done deal," Ault said as Sammons is facing four months of recovery time.
Sophomore Mike McCoy will likely move into the starting spot at the "X" receiver with Sammons out. Douglas High graduate Andy McIntosh, a sophomore, might begin the season as the second-stringer behind McCoy.
"We are bouncing kids around right now," Ault said. "We are taking a look at some different things but right now McCoy is the guy there."
"¢ The Pack is hoping to have a couple of its injured wideouts back by early next week.
Sophomore Jack Darlington has not practiced since suffering a concussion on Aug. 11 and redshirt freshman Arthur King has been out for nearly a week with a hip strain. But Ault said Darlington should return on Sunday and King is expected back next week.

Birmingham News

Darby Held out of Scrimmage
Wednesday,august 23,2006

Tuscaloosa-Tailback Ken Darby sat out Alabama's final scrimmage of preseason camp on Tuesday after a scary helmet to the knee sidelined him on Monday.

"If this was a game,he could have played,"Alabama coach Mike Shula said."He's got a bruised knee,we didn't want to obviously risk him getting hurt,and scrimmaging him when he is not 100 percent makes no sense."

Shula said that Darby might be ready to practice by today.

I don't think this is any longer an issue.:13_1_102v:

Xzavie Jackson has gone from battling for a starting job at defensive end to being suspended for Missouri’s season opener on Sept. 2 against Murray State.
Missouri coach Gary Pinkel revealed the suspension after Tuesday’s practice in Columbia, but not the reason for it. Pinkel did say it was not the result of a legal problem. A source told The Star that the suspension was for academic reasons.

Damn, I found this picture of Brandon Hancock, the injured USC fullback. Looks more like he had an accident with a syringe.... big ass bastard.

BYU head football coach Bronco Mendenhall today announced senior defensive back Cole Miyahira will serve a one-game suspension for violation of team rules. As a result, Miyahira will not participate in the Cougars' season-opener at Arizona.
"We have addressed and resolved this matter internally," Mendenhall said. "It's now behind us and we look forward to having Cole rejoin the team after the Arizona game."
Miyahira was asked to leave practice early Tuesday after having words with his position coach.
Mendenhall said Miyahira will not practice with the team during the suspension.

Whoever that individual is, he weighs a lot more than 230 as per Phil Steele, unless he is five feet tall. I haven't looked at a recent roster of USC though so maybe they have updated it. I would say in between 240 and 260.

Bearcats' Daniels out for season
By C. Trent Rosecrans
Post staff reporter
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs...y=SPT0201&ArtNo=608240319&Ref=AR&Profile=1016
spacer_1x1.gif
http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs...y=SPT0201&ArtNo=608240319&Ref=AR&Profile=1016
Bearcat QB watch continues as team breaks training camp

WEST HARRISON, Ind. - Oddly, a day after his senior season was ended before it started by a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, University of Cincinnati tailback Mike Daniels actually said, "I can't complain."
Really.
"The good thing is I still have a redshirt year," said Daniels, a Princeton High School graduate. "I can get my senior year back, so I'm blessed and can't complain. Who knows, maybe it's the best thing for me."
Wednesday morning, less than 24 hours after his season-ending injury was diagnosed, Daniels was with his fellow running backs after the first of two practices at Higher Ground Conference and Retreat Center.

Iowa released its first depth chart of the football season Wednesday afternoon and two names were noticeably absent.
Nearly a half hour later, the school sent out another release disclosing why all-Big Ten defensive end Kenny Iwebema and junior receiver Herb Grigsby weren't listed on the two-deep.
Iwebema and Grigsby will miss the Sept. 2 season opener against Montana while serving a one-game suspension for violating team rules.

Lsu Tigers Rb Keiland Williams

Keiland Williams cleared to play!
http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/messagetopic.asp?p=2834354

Notes from a closed scrimmage yesterday
Select fans are allowed to view parts of our scrimmages.
TIDBITS from Scrimmage, Just got back, and.......
GOOD NEWS:
1) Lafell: remember the name, you'll be hearing a lot of that this season. He is simply spectacular - Freshman WR

2) Vincent: One word, he's back! - Senior RB

3) Broussard; Don't count him out, looked good from my seat.
4) Jamarcus: Will be the starter - Ready to Shock and Awe?
5) Flynn: for some reason, had control problems.
6) RP: He'll play this year - Hey Horn Nanna Nanna Boo Boo
7) Doucet: A vacuum cleaner, but got hurt. Limped off, don't know the extent of injury. Left the practice. Let's hope only a cramp, but looked more serious. - 5 STAR WR - JR
8) Defense: Don't know if defense is that goood, or OL needs more work.
but, Dorsey should have been playing offense. He was in the backfield that much
8) Trindon Holliday. Skler who?

BAD NEWS:
1) Doucet: see above, let's hope a minor setback
2) OL: Not much consistency. Black and dyakowski beat on many occasions.
If real game, we would have had 7-10 sacks
3) For some reason, several punts looked like they could have been blocked. Again, do we have that much work to do on OL

Fred Rouse transferred to UTEP...will he be able to play this year?

Also, Booty named QB for USC in the opener. Louisianna boy starting his first game in SEC land and close to home...maybe a little extra effort and motivation?

Knee injury to end Randel El's season

Posted: Thursday August 24, 2006 8:26PM; Updated: Thursday August 24, 2006 8:26PM

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Wisconsin receiver Marcus Randle El will miss the 2006 season after injuring his right knee.

Randle El hurt his knee at practice Wednesday afternoon. An MRI exam Thursday showed he had damage to ligaments that would require surgery. No further details were provided.

"Everyone in our football program feels for Marcus and supports him and wishes him a speedy recovery," coach Bret Bielema said in a statement.

"As is the case any time someone is injured, it leaves a spot for someone else to step in and contribute so we don't miss a beat. That's what I expect to happen."

Randle El, a junior and brother of Washington Redskins receiver Antwaan Randle El, has three receptions for 36 yards and four punt returns for 57 yards during his career. He was expected to handle some of the return duties this season.

August 25, 2006

Purdue injuries pile up
clear.gif

http://www.cappingthegame.com/forum/http://www.cappingthegame.com/forum/
clear.gif

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Anthony Spencer's injury isn't to his ankle, after all. It also appears to be more serious than first thought.
clear.gif
clear.gif
The Purdue senior defensive end was held out of contact drills for a seventh consecutive day Thursday. Coach Joe Tiller said last week Spencer had an injured ankle, but said Thursday he has a hamstring injury.
"Me, too," Tiller said when a reporter mentioned that he expected Spencer to have returned by now.
"Apparently, our trainer doesn't think he's ready to go full speed."
Injuries have piled up in recent days for the Boilermakers. Middle linebacker Josh Ferguson left Thursday's practice with a right shoulder sprain and his return is uncertain.
Ferguson has worked with the first team during most of preseason drills. Dan Bick is the likely starter in the middle, but he also is expected to play weak-side linebacker, meaning Ferguson is in line for substantial playing time.
Guard Uche Nwaneri had an appendectomy Monday and is out until next week. Reserve tackle Garret Miller missed practice for a second consecutive day because of a sprained shoulder.
Frank Halliburton also missed practice Thursday. Halliburton is in line to be Purdue's fullback in short-yardage situations, and Tiller was hardly pleased by his absence.
"Frank doesn't have anything seriously wrong with him. . . . It takes a long time for him to come back,'' Tiller said.

PULLMAN -- The Cougars suffered a big blow to their season before it started, learning that starting defensive end Matt Mullennix has a torn knee ligament and is out for the year.
Mullennix suffered the injury while rushing the quarterback and attempting a spin move at practice on Tuesday. His knee swelled on Wednesday, and an MRI revealed the damage, putting Washington State in a position to improvise just eight days before the season opener at Auburn on Sept. 2.

TAMPA Three projected starters for the University of South Florida — running back Ricky Ponton, wide receiver Jackie Chambers and defensive end Josh Julmiste — will miss this season's first two games and possibly the first six games because of a second positive drug test. Chambers and Julmiste told The Tampa Tribune they have appealed to have their suspensions reduced from six games to two. games. Ponton said he was told by USF Coach Jim Leavitt not to comment, but USF sources said Ponton also has appealed his suspension.

Marshall Suspends Top Receiver
Per the AP, Marshall receiver Hiram Moore was suspended for Saturday's season opener at No. 5 West Virginia following his arrest Friday night on drunken driving and other misdemeanor charges.
The senior was charged with driving under the influence, leaving the scene of an accident, obstructing a police officer and driving on a suspended license, sports information director Randy Burnside said Sunday.
"I am extremely disappointed that Hiram has shown such poor judgment and a gross lack of respect for his teammates," Marshall coach Mark Snyder said Saturday. "His actions last night were unacceptable and will not be tolerated.
"I cannot express how disappointed I am for a senior to show such selfishness with the season opener just days away."
[CFT Analysis: He's pissed.]
Moore had 53 catches for 630 yards and four touchdowns in 2005. His suspension depletes an already thin receiving corps. Marshall lost 6-foot-6 Shawn Lauzon to a hip injury during preseason practice, and he could be lost for the season.
Moore was the second Marshall player arrested in the past week. Free safety Geremy Rodamer was arrested Aug. 20 near a downtown bar on charges of disorderly conduct and obstructing an officer.

Moore now suspended indefinitely by HurricanesAugust 27, 2006

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) -- Miami wide receiver Ryan Moore has been suspended indefinitely for violation of an unspecified team policy, Hurricanes coach Larry Coker said Saturday.
Moore was suspended for the team's season-ending Peach Bowl appearance last season, then suspended again for the first two games of this year because of previous violations of team rules.
"Not that he won't return, but pending some action, I have made that suspension due to a violation of team policy," Coker said. "And we'll see as this thing progresses."
Moore, a senior, started nine games last season and caught 28 passes for 464 yards and four touchdowns. Coker said he will re-evaluate Moore's status and may reinstate him later in the season.
"It is disappointing any time that you have to suspend a player, not really for me, but for him for than anything," Coker said. "You hate to see a player miss anything."
Coker suspended three other players, including projected starting running back Tyrone Moss, earlier this summer because of other team rule violations. The 12th-ranked Hurricanes open the year Sept. 4 at home against No. 11 Florida State.

Back