CONFIRMED Injury, Transfer, or Suspension Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter SoonerBS
  • Start date Start date
Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Volunteers dismiss one player, suspend another
Associated Press

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- A Tennessee freshman charged with drunken driving on campus was dismissed from the football team Wednesday, and another player arrested Sunday was suspended, coach Phillip Fulmer announced.

Lee Smith, a tight end, was arrested early Wednesday morning after a campus police officer saw him driving on the sidewalk. Smith had been attending summer school before beginning his first year on the team. Smith's father, Daryle Smith, was an offensive lineman at Tennessee and played in the NFL.

"I have made the decision that he be dismissed from the football team. I have great respect for the Smith family and for Daryle as a former Volunteer. It is my sincere hope that this will be an opportunity for Lee to mature and get his life in order," Fulmer said.

The Volunteers, coming off a disastrous 5-6 season, begin practice Friday.

Redshirt freshman Marsalous Johnson was arrested Sunday in Putnam County after an off-duty sheriff's deputy reported that Johnson waved what appeared to be a gun at him while driving along Interstate 40. A toy gun was found in the car and Johnson was charged with aggravated assault.

"Marsalous and Lee have embarrassed this great university and not presented themselves in a manner that appropriately represents our program. I have demanded accountability from our players and the team, and these two players have not followed instructions," Fulmer said in a statement.

Johnson will miss the first four games of the season. Fulmer is requiring him to move back into a dormitory on campus, leave his car at his home and complete 50 hours of community service. Johnson will be considered a member of the scout team.

"Any reinstatement of Marsalous depends on his attitude and demonstration of accountability," Fulmer said.

for the very sickest degenerate...kicker info!!

Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Air Force suspends kicker Harrison indefinitely
Associated Press

AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. -- Air Force suspended sophomore place-kicker Ryan Harrison indefinitely Wednesday for an unspecified violation of school standards.

Harrison, who played in two games last season, was expected to challenge for a starting position as both the place kicker and punter this season. He can practice with the team, but will not be allowed in any games.

"Ryan is handling his responsibilities in a very mature and outstanding way," coach Fisher DeBerry said. "We look forward to the time that he will hopefully be able to return to the team and represent the academy on the playing field."

The school said it would not disclose details of the suspension and said Harrison did not wish to talk with reporters.

Air Force, after back-to-back seasons of 5-6, was recently picked to finish seventh in the nine-team Mountain West Conference by news media.

UA Football: JC stars Holmes, Long fail to report with newcomers

JOHN MOREDICH

Published: 08.02.2006

Newcomers reported Tuesday for the University of Arizona football team, but missing were five-star prospects Louis Holmes and Gabe Long.

Everybody else in the 22-member recruiting class showed up, in addition to 15 walk-ons, to get fitted for new uniforms and equipment.

Holmes and Long were the JC transfer jewels of a UA recruiting class ranked No. 19 nationally by Scout.com. Both signed letters to Arizona in December, but after failing to meet admission requirements, spent the summer working on gaining admission.

Holmes, a 6-foot-6, 270-pound defensive end from Scottsdale Community College and the top-rated 2005 JC player nationally, said a week ago he would report to Arizona, but it still could be several days, or possibly weeks.

Holmes, already predicted by preseason football magazines as one of the top impact newcomers nationally, has been around the UA campus often this summer.

Long, a 6-4, 280-pound defensive tackle from Fullerton (Calif.) College, is likely a long shot to enroll. He has been unable to be reached.

Because they are both considered recruitable athletes, and capable of going to any school, UA coaches can't talk about the pair due to NCAA rules.

Classes start Aug. 21 at the UA.

The general rule of thumb is that a student-athlete can enroll up to the 12th day of school (Sept. 6), which gives them some leeway, although there will be missed practice time with workouts starting Thursday at 6 p.m.

If neither joins the team, the Wildcats have Johnathan Turner and Marcus Smith slated to start at the end spots, with Michael Shelton and Jason Parker as backups.

Turner, a sophomore, started 10 games last year, making 27 tackles, four for a loss. Smith, who has started 19 games in his career, was hurt during the second game of the 2005 season, but was granted a medical hardship to play out his senior year again.

The Wildcats have Yaniv Barnett and Paul Philipp as the No. 1 starters at defensive tackle. Barnett made 27 tackles last year after starting every game. Philipp is coming off a shoulder injury.

Backup tackles are Lionel Dotson and Donald Horton. Dotson started four times a year ago, including the final three games.

Bass to miss '06 season

But father says Michigan wide receiver's career isn't over

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 BY JOHN HEUSER

CHICAGO - University of Michigan football coach Lloyd Carr hinted at Big Ten media days Tuesday that the career of injured sophomore wide receiver Antonio Bass might be in doubt. But Bass' father said later in the day that his son would be able to resume playing football in the 2007 season.

Carr said that Bass, who has been sidelined since suffering a knee injury before spring practices, will soon undergo an unspecified medical test that would be "an important test in terms of his future as an athlete.''

When asked if there was a chance Bass' career was in jeopardy, Carr said: "I think the test is going to clarify that issue.''

Reached at his home in Jackson on Tuesday, Bass' father, also named Antonio, said his son went through a medical test two weeks ago at the University of Michigan that confirmed he will be able to play football again.
"They test the feeling in the leg, and everything came back fine,'' Antonio Bass said. "Antonio came out of it with a smile on his face. He won't play this year, but it's not career ending.''

It's not clear if, or how, the test that Carr referred to might differ from the one described by Bass' father. Carr also said that he did not expect Bass to play in 2006.

As a freshman, Bass dabbled in multiple aspects of Michigan's offense. He carried the ball 19 times, caught eight passes, lined up at quarterback on occasion and had one completion. The Jackson High School graduate was expected to take more snaps as a backup quarterback this fall, a job that will now fall to either redshirt freshman Jason Forcier or true freshman David Cone, who has been working out in Ann Arbor this summer.

Carr said he'd give Forcier the edge in the competition for the second-string spot behind starter Chad Henne.

More Michigan news

Carr added that redshirt junior safety Brandent Englemon, who started 10 games last season, has recovered from shoulder surgery and will be ready for practice next week. The coach also said he believes redshirt freshman linebacker Chris McLaurin (shoulder) and defensive tackle James McKinney (knee), both reserve players, will return to action at some point in the coming season.

Williams considers transfer to Troy

Posted: Saturday August 5, 2006 12:21AM; Updated: Saturday August 5, 2006 12:21AM

MIAMI, Fla. (AP) -- Hurricanes linebacker Willie Williams is talking to Troy University about a possible transfer to the school after getting the OK from the University of Miami, a Troy official told The Miami Herald.
Troy has expressed interest and defensive coordinator Jeremy Rowell has spoken with him, Ricky Hazel, Troy sports information director, told the newspaper for a story on its Web site Friday night. Hazel said those talks would continue. Also, the University of Miami has told Troy it would release Williams from his Miami scholarship.

"We're working on it," Hazel told the newspaper.
Williams has not told Miami where he will transfer, but Troy would be allowed to give Williams a scholarship since the linebacker has received Miami's permission to transfer to the school, said Rick Korch a University of Miami spokesman.
Williams would be required to sit out the season. He would be eligible for 2007 and 2008 play. A knee injury that caused him to miss the 2004 season would allow him to apply for a waiver for 2009 play.

Groh reinstates former team captain

Posted: Friday August 4, 2006 8:27PM; Updated: Friday August 4, 2006 8:27PM

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) -- Virginia safety Tony Franklin has rejoined the team after being dismissed last spring for unspecified reasons, coach Al Groh said Friday as the Cavaliers began fall practice.
Franklin was suspended for a game late last season for violating team rules and did not make the trip to the Music City Bowl in December. Groh announced Franklin's dismissal from the team on the eve of spring practice in March.
As happens with lots of people -- mature adults, young adults, adolescents, whatever -- sometimes people get a little off track, a little bit out of whack," Groh said.
He said Franklin, a senior who was a team captain last year, earned another chance.
"Tony's had a very diligent and disciplined approach to making it very clear that the Tony that we know and respect and prize is the Tony that we have right now," Groh said.
The Cavaliers also welcomed back safety Nate Lyles, who had surgery after injuring his neck against Georgia Tech last November. Lyles, a junior, missed spring drills but received medical clearance to rejoin the team.

Projected starting QB Schaeffer arrives at Ole Miss

Posted: Thursday August 3, 2006 10:31AM; Updated: Thursday August 3, 2006 8:24PM

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) -- Mississippi's projected starting quarterback reported to camp with his teammates Thursday, ending month's of speculation that the talented junior-college transfer might not be available to lead the Rebels offense this season.
Brent Schaeffer arrived in Oxford on Wednesday night and attended orientation meetings with the rest of the team Thursday, the first day of preseason practice.
"We're happy," Ole Miss coach Ed Orgeron said in a phone interview Thursday. "I'm shaking Brent Schaeffer's hand right now."
Schaeffer spent the summer in California finishing coursework at College of the Sequoias. He said he was aware of the distant hubbub surrounding his arrival in the state.
"I haven't been keeping up with it, but they're telling me about it," Schaeffer said of the hand-wringing over his future. "[The experience] is new. It's the first time for me."
Schaeffer has been in the Mississippi spotlight since Orgeron won his signature on national signing day in February. The second-year coach considered Schaeffer his No. 1 priority during recruiting season and pronounced him the starter immediately.
Schaeffer brings a rare combination of attributes to Oxford. He is a double threat with the ability to pass and run. He set 11 school records at College of the Sequoias, passing for 2,970 yards and 40 touchdowns while running for 860 yards and another 10 touchdowns.
The 6-foot-2, 195-pound junior also has experience in the Southeastern Conference. He started three games for Tennessee in 2004, becoming the first true freshman to start a season-opener for the Vols since 1945. But a broken collarbone ended his season and he transferred to the College of the Sequoias in the spring of 2005.
Orgeron spent much of the summer patiently answering questions about Schaeffer's status, assuring fans and reporters the quarterback would qualify and enroll on time.
"We're excited about having Brent here," Orgeron said. "We think he's a fantastic football player. He brings a lot of excitement.
"Now we're ready to play some football."
Players at Southern Miss also reported Thursday, meaning college football is in full swing across Mississippi. Both teams will practice for the first time Friday.
Mississippi State players reported Tuesday and have already begun workouts. The Bulldogs play South Carolina in Starkville on Aug. 31, the first day of the season.
The Golden Eagles open Sept. 2 at Florida and the Rebels open the season Sept. 3 hosting Memphis.
Schaeffer said he has been studying the playbook this summer and working with offensive coordinator Dan Werner by telephone. But he's ready to put on a helmet and bring that playbook to life.
"A playbook a lot of times is only as good as the players on the field," he said.

Car crash sidelines Hokies corner

Posted: Friday August 4, 2006 4:46PM; Updated: Friday August 4, 2006 4:46PM

BLACKSBURG, Va. (AP) -- Cornerback Roland Minor was injured in a car crash in his hometown of Washington, D.C., earlier this week and will be out at least six to eight weeks, Virginia Tech athletic officials announced Friday.
Minor suffered both wrist and knee injuries, according to Hokies athletic trainer Mike Goforth. Surgery on his wrist was scheduled Friday afternoon at Montgomery Regional Hospital.
Minor, a redshirt junior, started all but one game for the Hokies in 2005. He had 33 tackles and three interceptions, returning one of them 23 yards for a touchdown against Duke.
The Hokies' first game is Sept. 2, at home against Northeastern.

Cal QB Levy reinstated to team

Posted: Thursday August 3, 2006 8:46PM; Updated: Thursday August 3, 2006 8:46PM

BERKELEY, Calif. (AP) -- California quarterback Steve Levy was reinstated to the team Thursday, one day after pleading no contest to a misdemeanor for his involvement in a bar fight in June.
Levy will be able to practice with the team when camp opens Sunday but remains suspended for the season opener at Tennessee on Sept. 2.
Levy, a senior who led the Golden Bears to season-ending wins over Stanford and Brigham Young last season, had faced felony assault charges stemming from the fight, in which he allegedly threw a pint glass at a bouncer's face after getting into an argument with another patron at a pub in San Francisco.
Under terms of his plea, Levy has three years of probation and must perform 100 hours of community service.
"I have learned from the experience," Levy said in a statement released by the school. "I just want to put this behind me and move on with my life and do anything I can to help the 2006 Bears."
Levy is expected to be a third-stringer behind Nate Longshore and Joe Ayoob this season.

Two Maryland players suspended

Posted: Friday August 4, 2006 5:46PM; Updated: Friday August 4, 2006 5:46PM

COLLEGE PARK, Md. (AP) -- Maryland football players Jared Gaither and Jaimie Thomas have been suspended for two weeks of preseason camp for a violation of team rules.
The suspensions were announced Friday, three days before the team will begin summer practice.
Gaither, a sophomore, started eight games at left tackle last season and will vie to be the starting right tackle.
Thomas is a redshirt sophomore guard who played in 11 games last year, starting one.
"It will not help us to go through camp short a pair of lineman, but we have established a culture for our student-athletes here and there are no exceptions," coach Ralph Friedgen said. "We expect both players to do their best to stay in shape and be able to compete when they return."

QB Beck skips practice

BY BRIAN ROSENTHAL and STEVEN M. SIPPLE / Lincoln Journal Star
Saturday, Aug 05, 2006 - 11:10:45 pm CDT

Nebraska sophomore quarterback Harrison Beck, apparently upset over lack of practice time, skipped Saturday’s practice, only the Huskers’ third of the season.

Coaches were initially concerned they couldn’t locate Beck, who was with the team in the morning but disappeared shortly after noon. Evelyn Beck-Bothwell, Beck’s mother, said her son text-messaged her late Saturday afternoon with the message, “I’m safe.”

Beck-Bothwell said from Florida her son has been frustrated because he’s not getting enough practice repetitions. She said junior Joey Ganz is receiving the brunt of the snaps behind senior returning starter Zac Taylor.

“It’d be different if (Beck) was sitting behind Matt Leinart or Brady Quinn,” Beck-Bothwell said. “Zac’s OK; I wish him all the best, but he’s just OK. The bottom line is, my son isn’t learning anything. He’s just on his own. If he got more time and attention from the coaches, he would be ahead of (Taylor). That’s just my opinion, but I’m his mother.

“He knows that playbook. It’s just an issue of not getting respect from the older players.”

Callahan, who addressed the media after practice regarding Beck’s absence, said through Nebraska media relations that he didn’t want to respond to Beck-Bothwell’s comments until he had a chance to talk to Beck.

Calls from the Journal Star to Beck’s cell phone late Saturday afternoon went directly to voice mail.

After practice, Callahan said Beck had given no indication of unhappiness.

“No, not at all,” Callahan said. “I’ve talked to the players about it, and it really comes as a real surprise and shock to all of us right now.”

How had Beck been performing during the first two practices?

“Pretty good,” Callahan said. “Really, very well, in fact. We’ve been very encouraged.”

At Thursday’s press conference to open Nebraska’s fall camp, sophomore running back Cody Glenn said Beck had been working on becoming more focused.

“Harrison, he’s the kind of guy who’s got all of the physical tools, he can throw it a mile, he can throw it harder than anybody else I’ve seen in my life,” Glenn said. “But he has to mature a little more. You saw it a lot during 7-on-7 stuff this past summer, how he’d come in and take control and try to be more of a leader, as opposed to last year, where he kind of goofed off and jacked around. This year, it’s like a totally different Harrison.”

Beck played in two games last season as a true freshman, completing 1 of 10 passes with an interception. He missed the latter half of the spring season and sat out the Red-White Spring Game with a sore shoulder.

Beck reported to fall camp healthy and in improved shape, having lost some 20 to 25 pounds. He also was unleashing strong throws in practice.

“He’s been looking good,” Nebraska receiver Nate Swift said after Saturday’s practice. “I mean, he had his arm strength back from his shoulder injury. He was looking good. He was looking crisp out here and running the offense pretty good. I didn’t think he had anything to be mad about, you know. I don’t know what’s going on.”

Did Beck give any indication to players that he was unhappy?

“He hasn’t said anything to me,” Swift said, “and I haven’t heard him say anything to anybody else.”

Beck was a prep standout at Countryside High School in Clearwater, Fla., and was ranked by Rivals.com as the nation’s No. 3 pro-style quarterback and the 20th-best prospect in the state of Florida. He was among the first players to commit to Nebraska’s 2005 recruiting class, giving his oral commitment in June of 2004. He turned down offers from Florida, Florida State and Miami.

“Maybe if he would’ve stayed in the SEC, he would’ve been playing,” Beck-Bothwell said. “Maybe he made the wrong decision, I don’t know.

“I know he has some growing up to do, but it’s not like he’s getting in trouble. He’s doing everything he’s supposed to do.”

Last edited:
Posted on Fri, Aug. 04, 2006
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

UM FOOTBALL

Canes lose top recruit Lewis

Citing death and illnesses in the family, defensive end Chris Lewis has decided to leave UM and play close to home at Fresno State University.
BY SUSAN MILLER DEGNAN
sdegnan@MiamiHerald.com

University of Miami standout signee Chris Lewis, who would have reported Sunday to begin his freshman season as a Hurricanes defensive end, is leaving UM today to play football at Fresno State.

''Chris Lewis has been given his release by the university,'' UM spokesman Rick Korch confirmed Thursday.

Lewis said he will take a final exam today to end the last of his two UM summer-school classes and then board a plane for Central California later today.

Lewis, 6-3 and 245 pounds, was rated by Rivals.com in February as the ninth-best defensive-end recruit in the country. He told The Miami Herald by phone Thursday afternoon that a recent family death and other illness in his family prompted him to return home to Fresno. He said he lives five minutes from Fresno State.

''I talked to Coach [Larry] Coker about coming home a week ago Wednesday,'' Lewis said. ``But I had talked to the other coaches previously, so he knew what was going on.

``The only reason I'm leaving is because at home there are some health issues within the family. One of my aunts who was sick passed away Tuesday night. I'm close to everybody in my family. And my grandma has been sick for a while, and another aunt has been sick. We've been dealing with a lot back home, and I just felt I needed to be there.''

He said his departure has nothing to do with football.

''The football here at Miami is everything I could ask for,'' Lewis said.

``The players, the coaches and everybody surrounding the program have been a great help. I love this place. Unfortunately, if it was on the West Coast I would stay and then I could deal with the football thing and family thing. If everybody was healthy, I'd stay.''

Lewis said he was told by UM associate athletic director for compliance Tony Hernandez and Fresno State coach Pat Hill that NCAA rules will allow him to play at Fresno State the upcoming season, rather than mandate he sit out the customary year. He had not begun practice, and the NCAA has bylaws that allow a new player to attend summer school without being penalized or counted as a transfer if he changes his mind early enough.
Lewis said he hasn't talked to Fresno State coaches.

He would have majored in sports administration, as he was intrigued with becoming a sports agent.

Lewis played football at Clovis West High School, where he also was the nation's second-ranked heavyweight high school wrestler as a senior and won the Fila Cadet National Championship his junior year.

His father -- James Lewis, a sergeant with the Fresno Police Department -- played middle linebacker at Fresno State from 1982 to '84. He said his mother, a nurse practitioner, has her undergraduate and master's degrees from Fresno. He said coaches told him he would have played on special teams this season and in some pass-rushing situations.

''They wanted me to stay here,'' Lewis said, ``but they've been very supportive of me and my family.

At Coker's news conference Tuesday, he was asked if Lewis would play defensive end.

''Chris Lewis has played defensive end,'' Coker said. ``He has played fullback. He has done a couple different things. What he actually plays remains to be seen.''

Injuries may KO two starters for year
By Steve Conroy/ BC Notebook
Saturday, August 5, 2006 - Updated: 10:29 AM EST

Boston College players hadn’t even pulled on their helmets, and already head coach Tom O’Brien had endured his first chunk of bad news this season.

After physicals were conducted Wednesday night, O’Brien revealed that the following four Eagles won’t be ready for the start of the season and could miss the entire year: senior strong safety Ryan Glasper (hip surgery in April), defensive end Jim Ramella (right shoulder surgery earlier this summer), defensive tackle Justin Bell (achilles) and safety Brian Young (knee).

Glasper and Ramella were projected starters.

“I can’t predict any of those four guys, but I think for this football team, we’re not going to count on any of them,” O’Brien said.

“It’s the most we’ve ever had coming into a year,” O’Brien said of the injuries. “But as I said to the team: one man’s misfortune is another man’s opportunity.”

Glasper was confident he’d return to the football field but couldn’t say when.

“You have to stay positive,” Glasper said. “Everything happens for a reason. Now I just have to get my mental game up, watch some more film, study the opponents. I just want to better myself mentally, and that’s all you can really do. I’m still going to lift, I’m still going to rehab and I’m still going to get myself ready to go.”

Sophomore Paul Anderson, who saw action as a true freshman last year, likely will fill Glasper’s spot, but he’ll receive some competition from redshirt freshman Marcellus Bowman.

Who replaces Ramella, who was expected to take Mathias Kiwanuka’s spot, looks like a battle between redshirt freshmen Austin Giles and Brendan Deska.

Big shoes to fill

Freshman quarterback Billy Flutie, the nephew of BC legend Doug Flutie, may see some special teams action this year - he’s listed as the backup punter and he place kicked at Natick High. But if the coaching staff decides he could be the quarterback of the future, he’ll most likely redshirt this season.

Flutie knows following in his uncle’s footsteps will be hard.

“It’s going to be tough to live up to that,” he said. “Doug being here 20 years ago and doing what he did, there’s going to be a lot of pressure. But I’m not too worried about that right now. I’m trying to block that out and try to make a name for myself.”

Praise paid to Toal

There was one piece of good news on the injury front. Linebacker Brian Toal, who missed spring practice with a shoulder injury, has been cleared to participate. And O’Brien, understandably, expects big things from him.

“After two years at linebacker, he’s one of those guys. He’s a marquee guy and he has to make plays for us,” O’Brien said. . . .

Redshirt freshman DE Brady Smith (bacterial infection) and freshman linebacker James McCluskey (hamstring) are also out of practice, but O’Brien said their recovery was more short term.

Key Bulldog Flowers suspended 2 games

By CARTER STRICKLAND
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 08/06/06 Athens — Thomas Flowers has been suspended for Georgia's first two games for violating unspecified team rules, Bulldogs coach Mark Richt told the Journal-Constitution Saturday night.

Flowers was listed as a first-team cornerback. He is also the Bulldogs' top punt returner.

Behind him on the depth chart at corner is a true freshman, Asher Allen. Mikey Henderson and Allen are also listed as backup punt returners.

"Some of the freshman are going to have to step up," senior defensive back Tra Battle said.

Flowers, a junior from Pebblebrook High in Austell, was moved into the starting lineup after the departure of senior cornerbacks DeMario Minter and Tim Jennings. He has played in 24 games, with no starts, and has 10 tackles and one interception.

Richt did not announce the suspension but seemed lukewarm toward Flowers when his name came up during media day earlier.

"He has got a lot of great competition," Richt said. "It will be very interesting to see where everybody lands. He is an outstanding punt returner, there is no doubt about it. But even that position is one that will be competed for.

"It is not that we don?t have confidence in him, but we want to show what these others guy can do also. He has got competition all-around."

Flowers broke open last season's win over Tennessee with a 54-yard punt return for a touchdown.

Flowers is one of four UGA players who will start the season on suspensions. Offensive linemen Daniel Inman and Ian Smith are also out two games (Western Kentucky, South Carolina).

Linebacker Dannell Ellerbe will sit out those contests, plus the UAB game.

Newton 'ready to go' for Gamecocks

Published: Saturday, August 5, 2006 - 6:00 am

By Rick Scoppe
COLUMBIA BUREAU
rscoppe@greenvillenews.com

COLUMBIA -- Less than a year after suffering what some feared -- including Syvelle Newton himself -- might be a career-ending injury, the multi-tasking University of South Carolina offensive threat is again ready to leave defenders grasping air.

"I'm back," Newton said Friday at the team's annual media day. "That's all I can say."

And while that may worry defenders across the Southeastern Conference, it can only bring smiles to Newton's teammates and coaches, who know he is USC's most versatile threat on an offense that could be explosive this year.

The 6-foot, 218-pound senior could line up at wide receiver or at slot receiver -- or at quarterback when USC is in the shotgun formation, coach Steve Spurrier said. Spurrier didn't mention tailback, which Newton played last year in an unforgettable game against Vanderbilt.
1pix.gif

In leading USC to a 35-28 win on Oct. 22, Newton rushed for 80 yards and one touchdown, passed for 46 yards and two touchdowns and caught a pass.

With 11:01 left, Newton scored on a twisting 10-yard run that gave USC a 28-24 lead. It also ended his season. Newton tore the Achilles' tendon in his left foot.

Early prognosis called for rehabilitation of possibly a year or more. Newton suggested he might redshirt in 2006.

But that is history.

Newton said Friday he was 95 percent and hoped to be 100 percent by the time USC opens the season Aug. 31 at Mississippi State.

"I feel good about myself athletically," he said. "I feel like I'm ready to go. Everybody said eight months, 10 months, a year. Some said probably never. But that just gives you motivation to want to work harder and push yourself to get back."

Newton slapped down a question about whether he'd take it easy early to avoid reinjury.

There is "no taking it easy," he said. "Right now I'm down in the depth chart. I've got to get back up the depth chart. I can't take it easy."

Newton is listed as a second-team wide receiver behind Kenny McKinley in USC's football media guide. But Spurrier isn't thinking of Newton as a reserve.

"When he's got the ball in his hands he can make some good things happen, which we found out in the Vandy game," Spurrier said. "Shoot, Syvelle Newton won the Vanderbilt game for us. We all know that."
While Newton is feeling fine, there were times during the grind of daily rehab that he wondered if he'd make it back.

"It's been tough," he said. "Sometimes I just wanted to say, 'Forget it. I'm done.' ... But I just had a lot of great people who stepped in and just wouldn't let me do that to myself."

Now that he's back, where does he want to play?

"It doesn't matter to me," he said. "I'm not No. 1 on no depth chart at no position. So wherever I play at I just got to work to get to No. 1."

Actually, it does matter. Newton won't be playing defense -- as was considered during spring practice. "Offense only," Newton said. "Offense only."

UW running back James hurt
By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter

Kenny James, the projected starter at Washington's dangerously thin running back position, will be hampered by a broken arm when training camp begins Tuesday.

James, a senior who has rushed for 1,335 yards in three years at UW, suffered a broken radius bone in his right forearm during a workout with other players a couple of weeks ago, a school spokesman confirmed.

The injury is described as "about as minor'' as a broken arm can be. While he will wear a splint in practice, the recovery time is typically four weeks, meaning James will less than full strength for about two more weeks.

The Huskies are set to start practice next Tuesday and to get in full pads for the first time on Aug. 12. James will likely be close to returning by then, but could miss the first few days of full pads practice.

James is one of just three tailbacks returning who has ever carried the ball for the Huskies. Coach Tyrone Willingham expressed concern about the depth at the spot during Pac-10 media day last week before it was known about the injury to James.

"You're right on that edge of not having enough depth at that position to make things really work,'' Willingham said.

James has started 15 games in his career, but none a year ago when he was hampered all season by a shoulder injury suffered the first day of fall camp.

After a good spring practice, however, James was again named the team's starter heading into fall drills.

His backups are junior Louis Rankin and senior Shelton Sampson. Sampson was shifted to cornerback last fall, then quit the team before returning in the spring.

Sampson was recently moved back to tailback when UW learned that redshirt freshman J.R. Hasty will be academically ineligible this season. Hasty, a former Bellevue High star, is expected to remain at UW and attempt to regain eligibility for the 2007 season.

Two incoming freshmen are listed as running backs and will add depth at the spot Matt Mosley of Chandler, Ariz., and Leilyon Myers of Compton, Calif.

James, of Dos Palos, Calif., redshirted in the 2002 season and had his best season in 2004 with a team-high 702 yards.

Published August 2, 2006
(Photo by M. SPENCER GREEN/Associated Press)

Spartan boss: Michigan State coach John L. Smith said on Tuesday that "there is a chance" highly touted freshman cornerback Ken Tinney will be allowed back on the team this fall.

Big Ten notebook: MSU may let Tinney back

Freshman who was dismissed may be allowed on team

By Joe Rexrode and Tim Kirby
For the Lansing State Journal

CHICAGO - Less than three weeks after Ken Tinney received a "one-way ticket" out of East Lansing, the highly ranked defensive back prospect is close to earning a round trip.

Michigan State coach John L. Smith said Tuesday "there is a chance" Tinney will suit up when his team begins fall camp next week. The 6-1 cornerback from Ansonia, Conn., was dismissed from the team, supposedly for good, in July.

"We're gonna still wait and see," Smith said of the status of Tinney, who picked MSU over offers from Michigan, Florida and Maryland and was ranked a four-star recruit, out of five, by Rivals.com. "Here's what I would hope for, I'm trying to be optimistic: He comes back, he's learned a lesson, he's decided that he's got a great opportunity in his life and that really there's nothing for him at home."

When the State Journal reported July 15 that Tinney had been let go, Smith declined comment. But MSU associate athletic director John Lewandowski told the State Journal: "He was basically given a one-way bus ticket home and asked not to return."

Smith would not elaborate on what Tinney did to get himself in trouble, only that it was not a legal issue. He said the second chance came about because Tinney contacted him and showed remorse - which is what Smith hoped would happen.

"I closed the door," Smith said. "But he kept knocking."

MSU's defensive backfield has been subpar for the past two seasons. Starters Demond Williams and Greg Cooper, and backup Ross Weaver are established at cornerback. But there may be an opportunity for Tinney and first-year corner Kendell Davis - a 2005 recruit who did not qualify academically last season - to compete for playing time.

COREY REVISITED: Smith spoke publicly for the first time about Cole Corey, the reserve MSU defensive back who was sentenced in May to two to 10 years in prison for possession of a controlled substance. Corey was originally charged with 13 felonies, including rape, for an incident that occurred in 2002 while he was a student at Tecumseh High.

"We never knew the true story, any of it," Smith said. "And that's why we stayed completely out of it."

Smith said he did not regret keeping Corey on the team, because he didn't want to dismiss him and find out later he was innocent.

CLIFFORD CHARGED: Other than the Corey situation, it has been a relatively quiet summer for MSU players on the police blotter. Besides a handful of minor alcohol violations, the only known transgression belongs to reserve offensive lineman Peter Clifford, who is charged with misdemeanor disorderly conduct for a fight that allegedly took place at 2:30 a.m. on June 24.

Clifford has a pre-trial hearing set for Thursday. He faces a maximum sentence of 90 days in jail and a $500 fine. He remains on the team. Smith does not publicly disclose his punishments for players who have legal troubles.

A year ago, MSU had a string of players in trouble with the law - a total of seven between the 2004 and 2005 seasons. The slowdown may be one of the reasons Smith called this offseason his best at MSU.

BIG TEN CHANGES: Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delaney spoke about several changes in the Big Ten this year including the swap of a bowl game, a change in the instant replay procedure and the details of a new Big Ten network.

The Big Ten will no longer compete against the Pac-10 in the Sun Bowl, but will instead participate in the Insight Bowl against a Big 12 opponent.
"We lost some good friends in the Sun Bowl, we have been in El Paso for a long time," Delaney said of the annual late-December game that paired the Big Ten against the Pac-10. "But we felt that the change was the right change."

The Spartans made two appearances in the Sun Bowl, a 17-16 win over USC in 1990 and a 38-0 loss to Stanford in 1996.

Instant replay is still in effect but with one change: There will now be one coaches' challenge per game, per team.

"I was open to a coaches' challenge but I wanted to make sure everybody had the same protocol from year to year," Delaney said.

Delaney also outlined the initial plans for the Big Ten Channel, which will launch in August of 2007.

"We have distribution agreements with Direct Television that will put us in 15 to 16 million homes," Delaney said. "Then we're going to have to work very hard to get local coverage on cable television."

The Big Ten Channel will cover 35 football games and 105 men's basketball games, as well as other Big Ten Championships beginning in 2008.

SHORT REIGN: Wisconsin head coach Bret Bielema was the youngest Division I football coach, until Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald overtook his distinction.

"I was the youngest coach in the country for about four months and then (Fitzgerald) had to beat me," said Bielema, 36, who took over for Barry Alvarez after the end of last season. "It's always nice to know someone that remembers the same songs and movies as you did when you were growing up."

Fitzgerald, 31, took over as head coach on July 7 due to the sudden death of Randy Walker.

ANY TAKERS? MSU isn't the only team looking for a dependable kicker.
Tiller is looking for a replacement for departed kicker, Ben Jones.

"If anyone in the room is interested, let me know before you leave," Tiller said to the media gathered in the Hyatt Regency Ballroom.

Casey Welch, a fifth-year senior with no career field goal attempts, is listed as the No. 1 kicker on the Boilermakers' depth chart.

SJSU football player faces robbery charges

ALLEGEDLY USED CRAIGSLIST TO LURE 4 SETS OF VICTIMS

By Kimra McPherson

Mercury News

A San Jose college football player who allegedly used classified ads on craigslist to lure robbery victims has been charged with 13 felony counts related to four June robberies.

Ellis T. Jones III had already been suspended indefinitely from the San Jose State University football team after an earlier arrest on unrelated Tulare County robbery charges. In San Jose, he allegedly used a stun gun or a handgun to force his victims to hand over cash and, in one instance, a laptop.

Jones was charged Thursday with four counts of robbery, one count of attempted robbery, four counts of assault with a stun gun, two counts of false imprisonment, one count of kidnapping in the commission of a robbery and one count of second degree burglary, according to prosecutor James Leonard.

San Jose State football Coach Dick Tomey said he'd never had any disciplinary problems with Jones, who was expected to compete for a starting cornerback slot this fall.

In the first case, on June 27, Jones allegedly pretended he was selling a laptop computer and arranged to meet a prospective buyer, a 20-year-old Fremont man, in the 900 block of South Sixth Street. When they met, Jones allegedly shocked the Fremont man with a stun gun and took the cash he'd brought to buy the computer, officer Gina Tepoorten said.
The three other incidents happened June 30.

In the first, about 1:15 p.m., Jones met a 23-year-old San Jose man in the 900 block of North Bayshore Road to buy a laptop computer. The man opened his trunk to show Jones the computer, at which point Jones allegedly shocked the man with a stun gun, took his money and the laptop, demanded he climb into the trunk of his car and closed it. The man was able to unlock the trunk using the electronic key chain in his pocket, Tepoorten said.

Other crimes

Then, at 2:46 p.m., Jones allegedly met two Daly City teenagers who had answered an ad offering an Xbox 360. The teens picked Jones up in the 1000 block of Third Street, and from the back seat of their car, Jones allegedly shocked one teen with a stun gun and demanded their money, Tepoorten said.

Finally, shortly after 10:30 p.m., Jones met a 22-year-old Berkeley man who thought he was buying an Xbox 360. When they met in the carport of an apartment complex at 2100 Canoas Garden Ave., Jones allegedly climbed into the man's car, pointed a gun at him and took his cash, wallet and cell phone, Tepoorten said.

Two men were arrested July 22 in connection with a similar robbery in Walnut Creek. The cases are not believed to be related.

The cases spurred debate over whether craigslist and similar sites are responsible for crimes committed by their users. Craigslist states in its terms of use that it is not responsible for the actions of people who use the site.

``This kind of crime is exceedingly rare on craigslist in our experience, such that we don't have a specific guideline for it, other than using common sense,'' craigslist CEO Jim Buckmaster wrote in an e-mail.
What craigslist does isn't much different from the classified ads in a newspaper or a billboard in a library, said Lauren Gelman, associate director of the Center for Internet and Society at Stanford Law School.

``Craigslist couldn't exist if they're going to be held responsible,'' Gelman said. ``They cannot vet every person who posts on the list to determine if they're a threat.''

Already in custody

Jones is in custody in Tulare County on suspicion of unrelated robberies committed in Visalia. He is accused of robbing a pizzeria July 2 and a home July 3, Visalia police Lt. Gary Williams said. He was arrested July 10 in San Jose on those charges.

San Jose State athletes are automatically suspended from their teams when they are charged with a felony, sports information director Lawrence Fan said.

Jones spent 2004 as a redshirt freshman with the football team and played in three games in 2005. He practiced with the team during spring camp in April.

Coach Tomey called the charges disappointing for the team as well as for Jones and his family.

``We're not going to have someone on our team accused of something like this until an investigation is completed and he is completely exonerated,'' Tomey said, adding that the team is prepared to go forward without Jones on the roster.

Whiteside, Erving will miss first three games

Spurrier suspends pair for violating ‘university policy’

By JOSEPH PERSON

jperson@thestate.com

USC has suspended a pair of reserves for the first three games of the season due to an undisclosed violation of university policy.

Senior receiver Noah Whiteside and junior safety Ty Erving will sit out the Gamecocks’ opening games against Mississippi State, Georgia and Wofford, USC coach Steve Spurrier announced Monday following his preseason golf tournament.

Spurrier refused to divulge the reason for the suspensions, other than to say the two players had broken “university policy.”

Whiteside might miss more than three games if he does not have a strong finish to summer school.

Said Spurrier: “Noah is not academically eligible yet. He could be if he passes everything at the end of the summer.”

Whiteside, a Greenville native, caught 20 passes in 2004 but sustained a severe leg injury during the 2005 spring game that hampered him last season. Whiteside had seven receptions for 131 yards and a touchdown in 12 games, including two starts.

Erving has been in trouble before during his USC career.

Former USC coach Lou Holtz dismissed the Batesburg native during the 2004 season for disciplinary reasons. A few months after rejoining the team in 2005, Erving was arrested with former teammate Josh Johnson in Five Points for simple possession of marijuana.

Erving applied for the pretrial intervention program to expunge the misdemeanor charge from his record. Named USC’s most improved defensive back during spring practice, Erving is listed as the No. 2 free safety behind Brandon Isaac on the preseason depth chart.

Coaching can wait.

After talking with East Carolina about becoming a graduate assistant under Pirates coach (and former Gamecocks assistant) Skip Holtz, tight end Andy Boyd will return for his senior season, albeit in a limited capacity.

Boyd will have a reduced running and conditioning load during practices as he tries to return from his second ACL reconstructive surgery on his right knee.

Spurrier envisions a tight end tandem featuring Boyd, the better blocker, and former receiver Jared Cook, the more dangerous receiving threat.
“Hopefully we can utilize those guys well,” Spurrier said. “Jared Cook’s a big, tall kid that can run and catch.”

Tipping the scales.

Quarterback Blake Mitchell has added about 20 pounds to his 6-foot-3 frame, Spurrier said. Mitchell is listed at 206 pounds in the media guide, an increase of 12 pounds from his 2005 playing weight.

Spurrier said the redshirt junior “looks physically much better.”

Mitchell is not the only Gamecock to add weight. Defensive tackle Marque Hall (6-3, 291) gained 25 “good pounds,” according to Spurrier.

Extra points.

Starting guard Thomas Coleman will receive one of the four scholarships Spurrier will give to deserving walk-ons this month. ... Spurrier mentioned safety Emanuel Cook, receiver Moe Brown and guard Kevin Young as three freshmen who could play early. ... Ryan Succop will be busy this season.

The sophomore will kick off and punt, and might handle placekicking duties if he beats out a handful of walk-ons. ... Spurrier is looking for outside linebacker Marvin Sapp to lead the team in tackles. “Hopefully, one of our safeties won’t do it this year,” he said. ... Players report Thursday and will practice for the first time at 7 p.m. Saturday.

Huskers Hold Fourth Day of Practice Indoors Courtesy: NU Media Relations

Release: 08/06/2006
DPAUJSCEDSFJGAO.20060806202107.jpg

Courtesy: Scott Bruhn/NU Media Relations

Senior defensive tackle Ola Dagundaro wore the defensive yellow jersey for Sunday's practice.

Lincoln- The Nebraska football team received a break from the heat for their half-pad two-and-a-half hour practice as they were forced inside the Hawks Championship indoor practice center due to lightning for day four of fall training camp.

After going through warm-ups and stretching on the Ed and Joyanne Gass practice fields, the team relocated to the Hawks Championship Center, where they broke up for position drills.

Cornerbacks Coach Phil Elmassion led yet another day of animated one-on-one drills despite the loss of senior cornerback Zack Bowman to an ACL injury sustained in Saturday’s practice. Head Coach Bill Callahan directly addressed the unfortunate loss, but with optimism that Bowman will take a medical redshirt year and return for his senior season.

“First off, we need to announce that we have lost (senior cornerback) Zack Bowman for the season,” Callahan said. “He sustained an ACL injury yesterday in practice. He’s a great kid, and I spoke with him this morning and he’s really disappointed. Just visiting with him, he wants to come back for another year, and that’s tremendous. It’s a tremendous loss for our team, but other guys are stepping up and doing a good job, and he’ll be there to help them out and support them, and that’s great.

Callahan additionally specifically noted when Bowman’s injury took place.

“(The injury happened) during one-on-one (action), which takes place during the nine-on-seven (drills),” Callahan said. “He was defending a corner route, he went up for it, he extended and elevated, and he came down planting his foot, and it looked like a hyperextension, but he hurt his ACL.”

Despite, the loss Callahan expressed confidence in the team’s pool of defensive back-ups for the team to call on. Junior-college transfer Andre Jones has excelled early in fall camp, while true freshmen Anthony West and Major Culbert have been working at safety, but also have the ability to play cornerback. Juniors Titus Brothers and Bryan Wilson have limited game experience, but could also figure into the cornerback mix.

Defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove additionally seemed confident at the defensive resources that they will have throughout fall camp and into the season.

“Despite what happened, we really had a good day. Guys were really moving around, and I was pretty impressed,” Cosgrove said. “We’ll figure it out. We’ve got to continue to evaluate, continue to coach, and continue to look at all the guys. We’ll see the speed of the game a little better when we get the pads on, because guys tend to avoid each other a little more when they don’t have the pads on.”

Cosgrove also specifically pointed out the team’s most veteran corner cornerback in junior Cortney Grixby, who he will rely on not only to step up but also to help develop the younger talents at the position.

“He’s been looking really good through four practices,” Cosgrove said. “He’s a tremendous competitor, and he just gets better every year. We look for big things from him this year. He is going to help all the guys out as a veteran. When they’re on the sideline and he’s got a young guy next to him, he’ll take that young guy and coach him and make him better.”

Callahan additionally addressed sophomore quarterback Harrison Beck’s absence at Saturday’s practice.

“I haven’t spoken with (Harrison Beck), but I did speak with his father,” Callahan said. “I visited with him, and other than that Harrison is ok. I’m anxious for him to return, if he comes back. I’d like to visit with him, and I’m looking forward to that. I’m hopeful that he makes the decision to come back. We’re just doing the best we can.
The Huskers return to the practice field on Monday afternoon and will be in full pads for the first time during camp.

Updated: Aug. 3, 2006, 10:32 PM ET
Harrison and Harris to miss opener

Associated Press
College Football News Wire

LARAMIE, Wyo. -- Senior University of Wyoming running backs Ivan Harrison and Joseph Harris will miss only one game, instead of the original three announced earlier, because of an unspecified violation of team rules, head coach Joe Glenn said Thursday.

The two will sit out during the Sept. 2 game against Utah State.

It was originally announced last spring that Harris and Harrison would miss three games because of the violation.

The switch to a one-game suspension is the result of changes the college has made in its policies on suspending athletes, according to a news release from UW.

The original policy called for an across-the-board, three-game suspension regardless of the sport in which the student-athlete was participating.

"We have been considering a policy change because the original sanctions were not fair to all sports," Barbara Burke, UW's deputy athletics director, said. "A three-game suspension for a football player who competes in only 11 or 12 contests is a much more severe penalty than a basketball player who is involved in a 28-game season.

"Our new percentage policy is a much more equitable way of dealing with violations," she said. "We feel much better about a policy based on percentage of a season rather than a set number of games."

thanks for the articles...the one about the Nebraska QB's mom complaining is hilarious...

Beck Bailing
QB let go by Huskers

Harrison+Beck+practice.jpg

Channel 6 Big Red Insider Sean Callahan reports that Nebraska quarterback Harrison Beck has been released from his commitment to the University of Nebraska.

Beck says comments from his mother over the weekend make it impossible for him to return to the team. Beck's mother had criticized starting quarterback Zac Taylor and said her son should be getting more playing time.

Beck had been listed on the fourth string when the initial fall depth chart was released.

Sean Callahan reports that Beck talked with Coach Bill Callahan on the phone Monday and they agreed this was the best thing for both parties.
Sean Callahan spoke with John Davis, Beck's high school coach from Clearwater (Fla.) Countryside.

Davis told Sean, "It's a real shame things had to end the way they did. You have to keep in mind that he's just 18 years old and he really could still be in high school age-wise.

"He's a young guy and he got emotional about some things. Coach Callahan talked to him today and handled it really well."

It's a shame whenever parents can't keep their mouths shut and let their kids fight their own battles.
jaja.gif

a mom complaining when her son is playing big-time college football?...I just don't get it...

Prized recruit leaves ASU for Tech

BY DON WILLIAMS

Throughout Mike Leach's time coaching Texas Tech, the Red Raiders have had one quarterback after another lead the nation in passing. Now they'll have one who, coming out of high school, led the nation in recruiting attention.
Derek Shaw, judged by PrepStar magazine as the No. 1 quarterback prospect in the country when he came out of Oceanside, Calif., High School in 2005, said Monday that he is transferring to Texas Tech.
Shaw was a freshman last fall at Arizona State, but left ASU this spring. He plans to pay his way to Tech as a walk-on this fall and go on scholarship in the spring. Shaw is spending time this week with his father, who lives in Arlington, and said he plans to come to Lubbock sometime in the next few days.
Shaw said playing time wasn't the reason for his transfer.
"It's a little more complicated than that,'' he said. "I was immature going into college. I made some mistakes in my life, and it was a growing process, a learning process and a maturing process. I thought I needed a new start. It wasn't really anything to do with football.''
Tech, after starting fifth-year seniors for four seasons in a row, finally will turn to a boatload of young quarterbacks. Sophomore Graham Harrell and redshirt freshman Chris Todd, prolific schoolboy quarterbacks in their own right, are battling for the job this August. True freshman Taylor Potts started practice Monday with the Raiders. To land those three, Tech had to beat ASU and North Carolina State for Harrell, Oklahoma and South Carolina for Todd and Michigan for Potts.
The Raiders also have a recent oral commitment from Little Rock, Ark., high school senior Stefan Loucks, a two-time 4,000-yard passer.
Shaw was more hotly pursued than any of them after his senior year at Oceanside, when he passed for 2,813 and 30 touchdowns and led the team to a 13-0 record. Among his many suitors were Miami, Fla., to which he originally committed, Florida and most of the Pac-10 Conference schools, including Southern Cal.
That Shaw would turn to Tech could be viewed as a significant endorsement for Leach, who is often portrayed as a coach whose system gets the most out of passers with ordinary physical skills.
Shaw said he gave Tech serious consideration coming out of high school. Once he decided to leave Arizona State, he said he felt confident Tech was where he wanted to be.
"Texas Tech stands out in a lot of ways, mostly because of the coaches,'' Shaw said. "They're such great people, and they're down to earth. Coach Leach, I could talk to him for hours. That's very unique. He's more of a person than a coach. I don't know if that's putting it the right way, but that's the way I feel about him. He's the kind of person I want to work for.''
Shaw said he doesn't have to be sold on Tech's offensive scheme, because it's similar to the one he operated in high school.
"It's not the pro-style style offense, but I think it's the most fun and exciting offense that I could possibly be in,'' Shaw said. "It's just wide open. It seems like an amazing offense. No other school has such big splits (among the offensive linemen). I think that's genius.''
Shaw's grandfather, Dick Enright, was head coach at Oregon from 1972-73 and later worked as an assistant in the World Football League and with the San Francisco 49ers. Enright coached Dan Fouts at Oregon and coached former schoolboy passing sensation Todd Marinovich in high school.
Enright said Shaw "was probably the most sought after guy that I've ever been around.'' "He's got a lot of ability,'' Enright said. "God really blessed him. He has an extremely quick delivery. He's very accurate. He's got an extremely strong arm. It might even be a little too strong sometimes. It takes good receivers to catch him.''

DE Pittman out for season for second consecutive year

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 By Jim Kleinpeter
Staff writer

BATON ROUGE -- LSU defensive end Kirston Pittman will miss his second consecutive season because of a torn right Achilles' tendon, Coach Les Miles said Monday.

Pittman, a junior who prepped at East St. John, was not on the Tigers' roster Monday, the first day of fall practice. Miles said Pittman still is on scholarship and wants to return to play next year.
"He wants to come back," Miles said. "He'll put this injury behind him and see what spring looks like.
"He'll rehab it and see how it goes. People have come back from them."
Pittman, who could not be reached for comment, suffered the injury in late June during offseason workouts. He redshirted last year after injuring his foot during fall drills.
Pittman was a freshman All-SEC performer during LSU's 2003 national championship season when he played in all but one game. He had 15 tackles and two sacks while playing as a third-down pass rush specialist. In 2004 he played in 12 games with one start and had 21 tackles, five for losses and among them three sacks.

TWO-SPORT TIGER: Freshman wide receiver Jared Mitchell of New Iberia reported, choosing college over pro baseball.
Mitchell, an outfielder at Westgate High School, turned down an offer from the Minnesota Twins, who picked him in the 10th round of the June first-year player draft.
Mitchell batted .506 with six homers and 31 RBIs in baseball, and he rushed for 874 yards and passed for 1,108 for the Westgate football team.
"The Twins made a lucrative offer," said Miles. "He said he'd rather have a college career and play both baseball and football. We're glad he did."

BACK TALK: Running backs Alley Broussard and Justin Vincent, both recovering from surgery to repair torn anterior cruciate ligaments, worked without braces.
Miles said Vincent's recovery was a little ahead of Broussard's, though Broussard was hurt last August and Vincent in December.
Vincent looked a little sharper in one of the running back drills during the portion of practice open to the media.

PRACTICE PLAN: LSU's first four days of practice will consist of a morning session involving mostly veterans and an afternoon practice with freshmen and a contingent of returnees.
The full squad will practice together for the first time with one workout Friday.

FAN DAY: Fan Day festivities are scheduled for Sunday beginning at 1:30 p.m.
The activity starts outside the stadium on the South lawn with interactive games and a chance to meet the soccer and volleyball teams, and the LSU cheerleaders.
At 2:30 p.m. Miles and the LSU players will be available inside Tiger Stadium for autographs. Fans should enter through gates 10 and 11.

NUMBER SHUFFLE: Quarterback JaMarcus Russell will wear jersey No. 2 this season, his high school numeral, which belonged to Shyrone Carey last season.
Incoming freshman Jai Eugene will wear No. 4 this season.

LISTED: Safety LaRon Landry was one of 33 players chosen to the Jim Thorpe Award watch list.
The award, given annually to the best defensive back in the country, is presented by the Jim Thorpe Association in December. The list will be narrowed to 10 in November.

August 8, 2006

Indiana Hoosiers

Hardy on hand as IU begins practice for 2006 season

Receiver still faces charges stemming from May 19 arrest in Fort Wayne

By Terry Hutchens
terry.hutchens@indystar.com
August 8, 2006

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University wide receiver James Hardy participated in the first day of training camp Monday, less than three months after the sophomore was arrested on charges of domestic battery and interfering with the reporting of a crime.

IU coach Terry Hoeppner said the university continues to wait for Hardy's court case to take its course. He said there was a court date scheduled later this month in Fort Wayne.

"Right now, no news is good news and there's no news,'' Hoeppner said.

"Right now I think I know enough about the situation to feel comfortable with him practicing out here. But pending a resolution, it's another in a long list of situations I'm dealing with every day with this football team, from recruiting decisions to evaluating how different players are performing.''

Except this one has to do with arguably IU's most valuable player from a year ago. Playing in 10 games, Hardy caught 61 passes for 893 yards and 10 touchdowns.

Hardy was arrested May 19 after his girlfriend accused him of hitting her and the couple's infant child. Hardy pleaded not guilty to the charges and later his lawyer, Randy Hammond, said his client's arrest was based solely on "misunderstandings and an unfortunate communication collapse between the parties involved.''

Hardy refused to discuss the case Monday, instead saying, "We're talking about football.''

He appeared lighter and admitted he was about eight pounds under his 216-pound playing weight of a year ago. He said the weight loss wasn't necessarily by design.

"When you're stressing, it wasn't anything in my control,'' Hardy said. "I couldn't control it. It went off and now I'm getting it back.''

He said he's able to keep football and non-football issues separate.

"I keep everything separate,'' Hardy said. "I'm a father, I'm a student, I'm an athlete. Everything is separate. And when I come out on this field, that's the only thing that comes into my mind.''

Hoeppner happy with drills

The biggest compliment Hoeppner could give to his Hoosiers following Monday's first practice was simple: It didn't look like a first day of practice.

"Part of that is the learning curve, and the coaching staff has done a really good job,'' Hoeppner said. "But everything we did out there was pretty good execution. The offense made some plays, defense made some plays, we made a couple of extra points and we punted pretty well.''
Hoeppner singled out the wide receivers as a group he feels is "deep." He also said the veteran players are doing a good job helping out the younger players.

"The chemistry we're developing with the old guys coaching up the young guys and pushing each other was encouraging,'' Hoeppner said. "The level of hustle we had was good, too. For day one, I was pleased with the effort, and I thought the receiving corps had a good day.''

Another commitment

Hoeppner and his staff received their seventh oral commitment for the Class of 2007 Monday, and the second in as many days.

One day after running back Darius Johnson from Highland Park, Mich., announced he would be playing football at IU, the Hoosiers received a commitment from Tyler Replogle, a 6-1, 215-pound linebacker from Centerville, Ohio.

IU now has two linebackers, one defensive back, two running backs, a wide receiver and a tight end in the recruiting Class of 2007.

OSU notebook - Back spasms send Moore to sideline

Tuesday, August 08, 2006 PAUL BUKER
The Oregonian

CORVALLIS -- It wasn't as if Oregon State's Matt Moore had turned in a bogus timecard, or suddenly become academically ineligible, or taken a vicious shot to the knee. But when the team's starting quarterback is moving around like a 50-year-old, it has to send a few chills through the head coach.

"Back spasms," Moore said Monday.

"Never had 'em before, but it's pretty painful right now."

It happened during Sunday's practice, with Moore having perhaps the best workout of his career.

"He's had a great camp," OSU coach Mike Riley said, "but yesterday, he was hot. It's as good as I've seen him, ever."

Moore said he was executing a fake, the same move he's done hundreds of times before. "Then I came up and threw and it was like, 'Ahh, my back!' "

Moore had trouble sleeping Sunday night, and he didn't try a pass Monday, the team's fourth day of the preseason.

"I'm rehabbing it now, and they say I'll be back in a day or two," Moore said. "I want to be out there. I don't want to miss any practices, especially after yesterday, but there's nothing I can do."

Said Riley: "If it lasts a while, then I'll have a concern. I'm not going to be concerned yet."

With Moore just watching, backup Sean Canfield got a lot of repetitions, and junior college transfer Lyle Moevao put in some overtime.

The wind was gusting at Prothro Field, so throwing deep often turned into an adventure, and there were a lot of interceptions.

Even so, Riley praised the overall work in camp of his starting receivers: split end Sammie Stroughter, slotback Brandon Powers and flanker Anthony Wheat-Brown.

"They're all in the best shape of their lives, they're making plays, and they're very confident about what they know about our offense," Riley said.

Riley said junior college transfers Shane Morales and Chris Johnson also have been impressive.

"I'm not saying they're ready to play games yet, but I'm excited about this group," Riley said.

Notes:
Riley was not entirely pleased with Day 4. "It was just a hair sloppy out there," he said. "I'm not happy with the fact we weren't sharp." . . . Wide receivers Marcel Love and Ruben Jackson have been practicing with the team. They'll find out Aug. 18 if they earned the necessary summer credits to stay eligible. Jackson missed Monday's practice "catching up on school," Riley said. . . . Redshirt freshman cornerback Tim Clark was on crutches after pulling a hamstring late in Sunday's workout. . . . Defensive end Jeff Van Orsow has been bothered by an ingrown toenail. . . . OSU begins two-a-day practices Wednesday, with workouts from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. and 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. The first scrimmage, or "officiated practice," is scheduled for Saturday.

Thanks for being attentive about posting these, RJ. I've read the same articles, but have been negligent in getting them posted.
beerchug.gif

SoonerBS said:
Thanks for being attentive about posting these, RJ. I've read the same articles, but have been negligent in getting them posted.
beerchug.gif

That's the difference between a Sooner and a Longhorn. :cheers:

rjurewitz said:
That's the difference between a Sooner and a Longhorn. :cheers:

Well, in my defense, no one has offered me an extravagant amount of money to do such a menial task yet. That's the way we Sooners roll you know.
superbiggrin.gif

SoonerBS said:
Well, in my defense, no one has offered me an extravagant amount of money to do such a menial task yet. That's the way we Sooners roll you know.
superbiggrin.gif

Shit, you weren't doing nothing, so I figured you were just "test driving" your Ferrari that you've "borrowed" from the dealer for the past 6 months.

Silly me.

interesting note about the ASU QB transferring...probably didn't want to sit behind Keller and then Carpenter for three years...

Marcel Frost, Ohio State's starting tight end, has been suspended for the season for a violation of team rules, according to Ken Gordon. Is it my imagination or has Buckeye tight end become something of a star-cross position since the national title? First, uber-talented Louis Irizarry implodes after some off-field problems. Last year, TE Ryan Hamby got death threats from supposed Buckeye fans after dropping a possible TD pass against Texas. Now this with Frost.

Deyon Williams, Virginia's best wide receiver, will undergo surgery to repair a stress fracture in his foot Friday and will be out indefinitely, Cavaliers Coach Al Groh said yesterday. Williams, a senior captain, probably will miss Virginia's season-opening game at Pittsburgh on Sept. 2.

Trimane Goddard, one of North Carolina's key defensive players, broke a bone in his left foot in practice last Saturday in a noncontact drill and will likely be out for the season.

Hey, guys, it would probably behoove you to go through your Phil Steele Mag and cross these guys out of the starting line-ups. It will help you in your capping for week #1 and the entire season. Trust me on this one.

clever.gif

SoonerBS said:
Hey, guys, it would probably behoove you to go through your Phil Steele Mag and cross these guys out of the starting line-ups. It will help you in your capping for week #1 and the entire season. Trust me on this one.

clever.gif

Way ahead of you.

Here's another one:

Ohio State's starting TE Frost suspended for year

ESPN.com news services

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State tight end Marcel Frost was suspended for the upcoming season for violating team rules.
Athletic department officials declined to comment on the nature of the violation. Frost will remain on scholarship and will be eligible to rejoin the team next season, school spokesman Dan Wallenberg said Wednesday.
Frost played nine games and started the final five last season after Ryan Hamby suffered a knee injury, catching seven passes for 70 yards.
The 6-foot-5, 255-pound Frost was expected to start this season for the Buckeyes, the preseason No. 1 in the coaches' poll, but now sophomore Rory Nicol likely will get the nod.

UNC

Chapel Hill, N.C. ------ University of North Carolina starting strong safety Trimane Goddard will likely miss the 2006 season after fracturing the fifth metatarsal in his left foot last Saturday (8/5). He will undergo surgery at UNC Hospitals on Wednesday.
Goddard, a 5-11, 192-pound junior from Robersonville, N.C., played in all 11 games last year and started the final six. He posted 53 tackles and had a team-high three interceptions. Goddard played as a true freshmen in 2004 and had 15 tackles. He will redshirt this season and have two years of eligibility remaining when he returns in 2007.

Rutgers still at +5.5

I don't have the paper in front of me right now, but I think they said Marcel Love (OSU) was in trouble again. If I see it later I will let you know.

Jarrett Not to Miss Playing Time--ESPN Pleased

Dwayne Jarrett's Eligibility Reinstated By NCAA

All-American wide receiver won't miss any games, must pay $5,352 to charity.
spacer.gif

[FONT=arial, verdana]
oas-icon-print.gif
Printer-Friendly Format
spacer.gif

oas-icon-email.gif
E-mail this article
[/FONT]

313772.jpeg

Dwayne Jarrett's

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif]Football Home[/FONT]
spacer.gif

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]HEADLINES[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif][SIZE=-2]Dwayne Jarrett's Eligibility Reinstated By NCAA
USC Again Tabbed to Win Pac-10 in Preseason Media Poll
USC Football Pre-Season Notes [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Sans Serif]RELATED LINKS[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Sans Serif][SIZE=-2]Follow all of the college football action at CollegeSports.com
Email this to a friend
[/SIZE][/FONT]
spacer.gif

Aug. 9, 2006
The NCAA student-athlete reinstatement staff announced today it has reinstated the eligibility of USC junior wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett.
Jarrett must pay $5,352 to a charity of his choice for receiving extra benefits from a teammate's family that included discounted rent at an apartment. Jarrett will not be required to sit out any competition for the 2006 season.
"Mr. Jarrett made a mistake, and we believe that had he known he was required to pay his full share of the rent for the apartment, he would not have chosen to live there," said Jennifer Strawley, NCAA director of membership services and student-athlete reinstatement. "Reinstatement is a delicate balance of addressing the benefit or competitive advantage gained with student-athlete well being. In this instance, requiring some level of repayment was a fair and reasonable outcome given the specific facts."
According to the facts of the case submitted by USC, Jarrett lived with a teammate for 13 months in an apartment that cost $3,866 a month. Jarrett paid $650 a month toward the rent and did not pay any utilities.
He is required to pay the full value of his $960 monthly housing stipend, minus what he already paid in rent, plus half the cost of utilities for the time he lived in the apartment. The total value of the benefit Jarrett received by living in the apartment was $18,001.
"The reinstatement staff concluded that Mr. Jarrett gained a benefit based on his living arrangements," Strawley said. "Requiring him to pay the full value of his housing stipend and his share of the utility costs not only considers all the facts in the case but also provides a student-friendly decision that allows him to compete without missing any games."
"We've felt comfortable throughout this process that the outcome would be like this," said USC head foootball coach Pete Carroll. I'm happy that the NCAA recognized the uniqueness of this situation. I know that Dwayne is relieved. We'll take this news in stride now and continue on with our business."

spacer.gif

Said Jarrett: "I'm glad this is finally behind me. I felt all along that this would be resolved as it has been. I believe the conditions of the reinstatement imposed by the NCAA are fair. I'd like to thank everyone from USC and the NCAA who worked so diligently on this and I want to thank our fans, my coaches and my teammates for their continued support. I'm now looking forward to continuing our preparations for the 2006 season and our opener at Arkansas."
Following a review by the NCAA's Legislative Review Interpretations Committee, which consists of representatives from NCAA-member colleges, universities and athletic conferences, the NCAA informed USC on June 15 that a violation had occurred in this case.
USC submitted its request for Jarrett's reinstatement on July 9, and after an initial review the NCAA requested additional information from the university on July 21. USC provided the complete information requested from the NCAA on August 7, which allowed the reinstatement staff to reach its decision today. The university can appeal the decision to the NCAA Student-Athlete Reinstatement Committee, an independent committee comprised of representatives from NCAA member colleges, universities and athletic conferences.

MANHATTAN, Kan. (AP) -- Former starting quarterback Allan Evridge has decided to transfer from Kansas State less than a week into fall practice.
Evridge told new coach Ron Prince of his intentions Tuesday and was granted a release from his scholarship. A formal announcement came Wednesday, making Evridge the third Wildcats quarterback to depart Manhattan since the spring game in April.
Evridge played in nine games as a redshirt freshman last season -- starting six -- and threw for a Kansas State freshman record 1,365 yards and six touchdowns. Against Texas A&M, he completed 23 of 44 passes for 357 yards and three touchdowns.
He also rushed for 203 yards, including 138 yards in a 27-25 loss to Nebraska.
"I did everything they asked of me, on and off the field," Evridge told The Wichita Eagle on Wednesday.
"I even contemplated moving to defense just to get on the field. I did everything right by the program but it didn't look like I was going to be given an opportunity to contribute to the team in the way I would have liked."
The 6-foot-1, 214-pound lefty was part of a five-way competition for the starting quarterback job in the spring. Only senior Dylan Meier and heralded freshman Josh Freeman are left on the roster.
In April, redshirt freshman Kevin Lopina announced he was transferring, eventually settling on Washington State. Then last month, senior Allen Webb -- who split time as the starter with Evridge last season -- announced he was transferring to Texas College, an NAIA school in Tyler, Texas.

jimmyd: What the hey? Tyler again?

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- Florida's depleted secondary got a boost Tuesday when former Utah starter Ryan Smith joined the team.
Smith, who could replace departed cornerback Avery Atkins, is eligible to play this season under new NCAA legislation that allows athletes who graduate and have eligibility remaining to transfer without sitting out a year.
"It was an easy decision once I knew I had the opportunity," Smith said after completing his first practice. "I was ready to play football somewhere else."
Smith started 12 games for the Utes in 2004 under then-coach Urban Meyer and had 44 tackles and an interception. He started the first five games last year, but was replaced in the lineup midway though the season because coach Kyle Whittingham said others were "playing better."

Back