CONFIRMED Injury, Transfer, or Suspension Thread

S

SoonerBS

Thought it would be good to start this going into the season so we can keep updated. If you know of any of these, please post them.

We already have a thread telling us about Ramonce Taylor.

Here's another star athlete that will miss the season from Georgia:

After further review, UGA's Bailey likely out
[SIZE=-2]Carter Strickland - Staff[/SIZE]

[FONT=geneva,arial,helvetica,sans-serif][SIZE=-2]Thursday, July 27, 2006[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=arial,helvetica,geneva,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Hoover, Ala. --- Georgia, which still doesn't know who is going to throw the ball this season, is now looking for someone to catch it.
Bulldogs coach Mark Richt said Wednesday that senior wide receiver Sean Bailey, the team's top big-play producer a year ago, will "more than likely" redshirt this season after tearing an anterior cruciate ligament during bowl practice seven months ago.
As recently as a month ago, Georgia coaches had held out hope that Bailey might be healthy enough to play this season.
"We were trying to help motivate him to rehab," Richt said Wednesday at SEC media days. "If a kid gets an ACL injury and you say you are not going to play for 18 months, 18 months is an eternity to those guys. And sometimes they won't work as hard as they should.
"We wanted him to have the mind-set to try and prepare to play and just see what happens."
Georgia is not disappointed in Bailey's progress, but Richt said with a year to rehabilitate, Bailey will be in better position to have a solid final season.
As a junior, the former Milton High star had 16 catches for 364 yards and four touchdowns --- two in the opener against Boise State and two in the SEC championship game against LSU. He led Georgia in yards per catch at 22.8.
With Bailey out of the mix, the only proven receiver is sophomore Mohamed Massaquoi, whose 38 catches and 505 yards led all returning receivers.
Beyond Massaquoi, Richt said he will be looking for someone to prove he can be a reliable target. Among the candidates: Kenneth Harris (11 catches a year ago), Mario Raley (six), A.J. Bryant (five) and Mikey Henderson (converted from cornerback).
Quarterback and wide receiver aren't the only positions on offense where the Bulldogs will be searching for players the next few weeks. Because of suspensions and depth issues, Georgia might have to play a true freshman on the offensive line early.
Daniel Inman, a starter at tackle, was suspended two games for violating unspecified team rules. Ian Smith, a projected backup center, was suspended two games after his arrest in February on a charge of public intoxication.
True freshman John Miller could be a candidate at the tackle spot. But Miller had offseason shoulder surgery, and Richt is not sure he will be 100 percent by the Sept. 2 opener against Western Kentucky.
"As far as experienced football players, we have no depth at tackle in the first two ballgames," Richt said.
CAUGHT EMPTY-HANDED
With Sean Bailey likely out, Georgia has little experience after Mohamed Massaquoi at receiver. Last year's statistics for the top contenders:
Name ................Catches....Yards
Kenneth Harris............11......216
Mario Raley................6 ......78
A.J. Bryant................5 ......84 Mikey Henderson............0........0
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Alabama's players and coaches are certain wide receiver Tyrone Prothro will return to the Crimson Tide. What they don't know is when.

Prothro suffered a horrific leg injury in last season's 31-3 victory over Florida and was lost for the rest of the season. After surgery and some difficult rehabilitation, it now appears Prothro won't be able to return until 2007.

great idea bro...seems like a good idea for NFL camp...because we know how many people get hurt in these camps..

JumpOnBoard said:
great idea bro...seems like a good idea for NFL camp...because we know how many people get hurt in these camps..

Yeah, the difference is the NFL makes the teams report their injuries where the NCAA does not. If we can be listening in our areas about injuries to our local teams, we can have an area here to report them.

I know there are more players than what has been posted, but I haven't had time today to do a thorough search.

Damn im the biggest UGA fan on this board. I didnt know that..
Anyways Moose will be the best wr in the SEC. He might have been that last year. The question is who will throw him the pill.

Durham, NC (Sports Network) - Duke sophomore quarterback Zack Asack has been suspended by the university for plagiarism and will not be eligible for the 2006 season.

PlayWithMe said:
Durham, NC (Sports Network) - Duke sophomore quarterback Zack Asack has been suspended by the university for plagiarism and will not be eligible for the 2006 season.

COme on he's a college kid, who hasn't done that :nervous:

OU loses linebacker due to poor academics
By GUERIN EMIG World Sports Writer
7/27/2006

NORMAN -- Chris Patterson, the highly touted OU football signee from Northeastern Oklahoma A&M Junior College, will instead attend Joliet (Ill.) Junior College this fall, Rivals.com reported Wednesday.
If so, it marks the second detour Patterson has taken from OU. The linebacker was Rivals' 15th-rated high school prospect in the nation when he originally signed with the Sooners in 2004. However, academic issues sent him to NEO instead.
Patterson redshirted in '04, then became a first-team NJCAA All-American last fall for the Norsemen. Academic uncertainty followed him to Miami, however, and he was considered a longshot to qualify even after re-signing with the Sooners last February.
Patterson would become the second Chicago-area OU recruit to wind up at Joliet in three years. Touted defensive tackle Moe Dampeer left Norman for personal reasons two years ago.

July 27, 2006

Webb leaving K-State for NAIA school

Matt Hall
GoPowercat.com

Quarterback Allen Webb has announced his intention to transfer away from the Kansas State program, making him the second Wildcat quarterback to leave Manhattan since the end of spring practice. Webb's departure leaves K-State with sophomore Allan Evridge, senior Dylan Meier and true freshman Josh Freeman as the options at quarterback.

Webb will transfer to Texas College, an NAIA school in Tyler, Texas, after having his scholarship lifted by K-State coach Ron Prince. Webb is just three credits shy of graduation. "I understand the message being given to me," Webb said in a release first reported in this morning's edition of the Wichita Eagle.

The status of the 6-foot-3, 210-pound Webb has been in question essentially since the start of spring practice when he initially appeared to be away from the program before returning after practices had already began. Webb participated with the team in offseason workouts and was included in the recently released media guide.

According to a source, Webb had attempted to transfer to an NCAA Division I-AA school but his previous transfer to K-State from Indiana made transferring within NCAA institutions difficult under NCAA rules.

A Denver native, Webb started 10 games for the Wildcats in the past two years but was perhaps more valuable coming off the bench, as he led K-State to comeback wins against Missouri in each of the last two seasons. Webb completed 111 of 199 passes for 1,371 yards and 12 touchdowns during the past two seasons, throwing nine interceptions.

Webb will be eligible immediately at Texas College, which has an enrollment of 870. The Steers went were 7-4 last season and shared the Central States Football League championship with Langston.

"As I leave K-State, I want to thank my teammates and wish them well this season," Webb said in his release. "But most of all, I want to thank the fans for their support during my highs and lows, specifically those who encouraged me after this year's spring game and made me feel welcomed at the university."

With Webb and Washington State transfer Kevin Lopina now out of the picture the starting job will fall to either Evridge, who started most of the 2005 season, Meier, the starter throughout much of 2004, and the highly touted Freeman, who arrived at K-State in time for spring drills with hopes of competing immediately in the fall.

Missouri loses star recruit for season

When a big-name prospect chooses to play at Missouri over offers from Ohio State, Nebraska and Oklahoma it is big news in Columbia (MU). When a four-star prospect who has already committed to Oklahoma de-commits in order to play for his home state of Missouri, there isn't an eye in the state not watching him.

Unfortunately for wide receiver Jeremy Maclin and Mizzou, all of those eyes will have to watch him on the sideline this season.

The pride of the Tiger's 2006 recruiting class tore the ACL in his right knee earlier this week during 7-on-7 drills and will be forced to take a medical red-shirt for the 2006 season. Maclin was a two-time all-metro player in St. Louis, where he made 99 catches for 2,226 yards and scored 17 touchdowns in his last two seasons.

Five Utah St. players face drug charges

With only two weeks left before fall practice officially gets underway at Utah State, having a number of your players arrested on marijuana charges is not what coach Brent Guy would like to be focusing on.

"I am very disappointed, especially with the timing with us going into camp. It is a group of young players who made a bad decision," Guy said.

Receiver Kendall Fisher, 19, defensive lineman Steven Downs, 19, tailback Marcus Cross, 21 and offensive linemen Brennan McFadden and Ryan Tonnemacher, both 19, allowed police to search the house they were in after a neighbor reportedly smelled marijuana. The players face charges of possession and drug paraphernalia, a misdemeanor which carries a maximum sentence of six months.

The team had already dismissed two players from the program earlier this year. Receiver Dionte Holloway was dismissed after his arrest for marijuana possession, and quarterback Jerod Walker was also dropped for charges of marijuana possession and aggravated sexual assault.

Auburn senior to transfer after arrest

Senior cornerback Montavis Pitts, who was arrested last month in Tuskegee, Ala., on a drunk-driving charge, said he will leave Auburn for a "fresh start" at another school and apologized for making "a mistake."

Pitts, a Loachapoka, Ala., native, played in 40 games during his Auburn career, making 106 tackles.

In a statement Thursday on the transfer, coach Tommy Tuberville described Pitts as a "key contributor" to Auburn's football program. He said Pitts played "an important role as a starter during our perfect season in 2004."

Tuberville thanked Pitts for his contributions and extended best wishes for him.

Issuing an apology to teammates, coaches and Auburn fans, Pitts said, "I made a mistake and have decided that I need to get a fresh start and begin somewhere else." The statement did not say where Pitts' plans to transfer.

GOOD new for BAR and HUNT...

RB Russell will not return to Minnesota

Minnesota running back Gary Russell won't return to the team this year.
That leaves the Gophers without both of their 1,000-yard rushers from last season, since Laurence Maroney left a year early for the NFL. Russell, who would've been a junior, isn't enrolled in classes for the fall semester, school spokesman Shane Sandersfeld said Wednesday.

That means Russell is ineligible for this season, and the chance of him playing college football again anywhere is slim. Academic failure forced Russell to drop out of the university last spring, and he attended a local community college to try to better his grades

New Mexico State linebacker killed in shooting

New Mexico State linebacker Shana Leaupepe, who was set to be a starter this season, was killed in a drive-by shooting.

Leaupepe, 21, died Friday in Long Beach, Calif., coach Hal Mumme
said Saturday. Leaupepe was visiting family when he was killed.

"Shana was an outstanding young man, and we are shocked that this has happened," Mumme said in a statement. "Shana was a wonderful friend and teammate, and our hearts go out to his family. We've lost a special young man whose time at New Mexico State left a lasting mark on our coaches, players and staff."

Leaupepe led West Los Angeles College with 56 tackles in 2004, helping his team to a conference championship. In his two years at the college, he tallied more than 100 tackles and was named an all-Conference selection twice. He transferred to New Mexico State in 2005 and redshirted that season.

Florida finally grants troubled DB his release

A week ago the University of Florida indefinitely suspended defensive back Avery Atkins following allegations that he beat the mother of his two-month old child.

Atkins maintains it was in self-defense, and no arrests or charges have yet been made.

The sophomore, who was scheduled to start for the Gators this fall, had claimed he requested to be released from the program to seek a transfer, but the university denied his request. Wednesday coach Urban Meyer and the Florida staff had a change of heart as they officially released Atkins from the program.

Cal suspends QB Levy

California suspended senior quarterback Steve Levy indefinitely on Monday after his arrest on felony assault charges stemming from an alleged bar fight.

Levy, who came off the bench to lead the Golden Bears' season-ending victories over Stanford and Brigham Young last season, spent most of Sunday in San Francisco County Jail after his arrest on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon other than a firearm.

According to police, the weapon was a pint glass from Kells Irish Restaurant and Pub in San Francisco's North Beach neighborhood. After a bar employee broke up a dispute between Levy and another patron early Sunday morning, the quarterback picked up the glass and hit the employee in the face, San Francisco police Sgt. Neville Gittens said.

The 22-year-old Levy apparently tried to leave the bar after the incident, but was detained by people on the street until police arrived, Gittens said.

You've been busy, Jump!!! Thanks!!
beerchug.gif

PlayWithMe said:
You've been busy, Jump!!! Thanks!!
beerchug.gif

No prob bro...helps me to have all these in one spot...here's an oldie but goodie..here's willie reed's replacement..

Florida State dismisses wide receiver

Florida State dismissed wide receiver Kenny O'Neal for conduct detrimental to the team, Coach Bobby Bowden announced Friday.

O'Neal, a rising sophomore from Oakland, Calif., had five catches for 110 yards as a freshman last season. He also had 19 kick returns for 432 yards.

Reserve cornerback Trevor Ford also issued a statement through the FSU sports information office on Friday announcing his intention to "transfer for personal reasons."
A rising sophomore from Miami, Ford added "I'm not going to discuss which school I'm going to at this time." He accumulated six total tackles (two solo) and broke up a pass as a redshirt freshman last season.

SEATTLE (AP) -- Four Washington players are academically ineligible for the upcoming season, including running back J.R. Hasty and wide receiver Chancellor Young, coach Tyrone Willingham told The Seattle Times on Thursday at the Pac-10 Conference media day in Los Angeles.
In a story posted on its Web site, the Times reported that Hasty, Young, wide receiver Charles Smith and left tackle Nathan Flowers were ineligible for the 2006 season. The Times first reported on Hasty being ineligible on July 21.
Hasty was the star of Willingham's first recruiting class at Washington. The son of former NFL defensive back James Hasty was a star at Bellevue High School where he rushed for 92 career touchdowns, including 50 in his senior season.
Hasty was listed as Washington's No. 3 running back after spring practice, but the red-shirt freshman was expected to challenge Kenny James and Louis Rankin for carries this fall.
Young, the son of former Seattle Seahawks' tight end Charlie Young, transferred to Washington after one season at Duke. The 6-foot-2, 210-pound Young was expected to take the place of last year's leading receiver, Craig Chambers, who transferred to Montana.
Willingham told The Times that Hasty and Smith have the ability to stay in school and become eligible next year, and that Young and Flowers are not in school.

Brandon Barrett, a two-time Kennedy Award winner as West Virginia's finest scholastic football player, has been removed from the Mountaineers' depth chart, where coaches were counting upon him to be one of the team's top four receivers this season after a long run of off-field problems.

Another player with his Mountaineers' future in question is former starting quarterback Adam Bednarik, who had offseason arm surgery that prohibits him from throwing a football until November, but might prove to be career ending.

JumpOnBoard said:
No prob bro...helps me to have all these in one spot...here's an oldie but goodie..here's willie reed's replacement..

Florida State dismisses wide receiver

Florida State dismissed wide receiver Kenny O'Neal for conduct detrimental to the team, Coach Bobby Bowden announced Friday.

O'Neal, a rising sophomore from Oakland, Calif., had five catches for 110 yards as a freshman last season. He also had 19 kick returns for 432 yards.

Reserve cornerback Trevor Ford also issued a statement through the FSU sports information office on Friday announcing his intention to "transfer for personal reasons."
A rising sophomore from Miami, Ford added "I'm not going to discuss which school I'm going to at this time." He accumulated six total tackles (two solo) and broke up a pass as a redshirt freshman last season.

He went to high school in my neck of the woods.. the kid is a big time talent. Oh well.. :down:

Auburn head coach Tommy Tuberville is making a statement, and he's using two of his top linebackers, both potential starters, as examples.

Tuberville said Friday at the SEC Media Days in Birmingham that both senior Kevin Sears and redshirt freshman Tray Blackmon will miss "quite a few games" for their recent run-ins with the law.

Tings Quit
USC safeties Brandon and Ryan Ting decided to quit playing football, ``so that they can focus on the demands of their medical school ambitions now that they graduated this past spring,'' according to a school spokesperson.

"For the past three-and-a-half years, Brandon and I have been able to balance the demands of football and academics. Now, as our focus turns toward medical school, we realized it was in our best interests
to end our playing careers. We realized we couldn't balance both if we want to be serious about med school. While it is difficult to leave our teammates, we know that they and the talented incoming recruits will have a great season in 2006. We spent this summer working with many of those younger players to help them get ready for
this season, so we know the kind of talent the Trojans have. We appreciate the opportunity that coach Carroll gave us and we'll always remain true to the Trojan Family. We value the fact that we were part of some special times at USC."

Check out the bold, italicized segment towards the end...CLASSIC U..

Moss aims for opener

Running back Tyrone Moss, recovering from knee surgery, plans to play Sept. 4 against Florida State. Coach Larry Coker is more cautious.

University of Miami tailback Tyrone Moss cheerfully signed autographs Saturday at the BankUnited CanesFest in Fort Lauderdale, all the while assuring fans that he will return Sept. 4 for the season opener against Florida State.

His mirror image, 3-year-old Tyrone Jr., sat in the next seat, scribbling on the white paper tablecloth at the string of tables Moss and his teammates occupied.

''My son has been signing some autographs, too,'' Moss said, breaking into laughter. ``He started picking up pieces of paper, signing them and passing them out.''

At around this time last year, Moss was chastised by coach Larry Coker for playing the 2004 season overweight and sluggish. This preseason, Coker has taken a different tack, saying he is confident that his star running back, who sustained a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee Nov. 5, should be in good condition -- but not necessarily ready to play.

GOAL-ORIENTED

Nonetheless, Moss vowed to be in the lineup on Labor Day night, adding that he weighed about 235 pounds and wants to shed 15 pounds.
''I plan on playing at 220,'' the senior from Pompano Beach said.

``Everyone always says I'm overweight at about this time of year. But you know I'll come back full go and ready to run. I'm a few pounds away. It's been tough rehabbing every day, trying to strengthen my knee. But summer workouts have been better than ever.''

Moss had reconstructive surgery a few days after he was injured in the second quarter of the Virginia Tech game.

Last weekend at the Atlantic Coast Conference media days, Coker said of Moss: ``I think he's doing well, comparatively speaking. Is he ready to play Florida State today? I don't think so. It's going to be a situation in which we'll know more about in August, once he gets into drills. Will he be ready? Hopefully, he will be.

``I know this: [backup] Charlie Jones will be.''

Coker said Moss was cleared to play, but the coaching staff has concerns about his cutting ability.

''I really believe in Tyrone Moss,'' Coker said Saturday. ``I think he's an outstanding player, but he needs to be healthy. We're not going to rush him. If he's not healthy, we're not going to just put him out there.''
Other news from CanesFest:

While players were chatting with hundreds of fans at the Broward County Convention Center, a nearly violent altercation broke out between safety Lovon Ponder, his mother and her sister. The mother began to scream at her son, ''That's not fair!'' Ponder ran from the table, and his aunt charged at him, screaming. He raised his fists to his aunt, and both were restrained by coaches and police officers.

''He don't do his mama like that!'' the aunt screamed. ``That's my sister! . . . He don't do that to his mama -- pull away like that!''

Ponder was moved from the area by coaches.

''I was told there was an altercation, and that's unfortunate, obviously,'' Coker said. ``I don't know anything about it. I'll find out more about it. It's unfortunate.''

• Cornerback Glenn Sharpe, who previously wore jersey No. 31, is wearing Devin Hester's former No. 4. ''I just felt like I needed a change,'' said Sharpe, back after missing last season while recuperating from reconstructive knee surgery. ``I'm healthy now, so I just felt like doing something new.''

• Coker said new signee Daren Daley, a former Florida State walk-on, was rated by some ''punting gurus around the country'' as the nation's No. 1 or No. 2 punter. ``He was available, and I know LSU recruited him. Hopefully he can help us.''

STATUS QUO

• Coker said there is no update on whether linebacker Willie Williams will transfer. ''Let's talk about players we're going to have and are going to play for us,'' the coach said. 'As of now, he's not going to play for us. I'm not keeping any secrets unless he wants me to, and he hasn't said, `Hey, don't tell anybody anything.' ''

• Regarding wide receiver Ryan Moore's suspension, Coker said, ``Ryan Moore is suspended until I unsuspend him. But right now his suspension is still intact. This is a team policy violation, and we'll just leave it at that.''

• Coker said punter Brian Monroe will get some work in the preseason at wide receiver, but not at the cost of his punting. ``We're not going to carry it over too far into the fall. We'll go a week to 10 days, and if he can do both, fine. If not, we'll have to cut [the receiving] back. He is a good receiver, but he has to be consistent [at punting].''

[FONT=Optima, Arial, Helvetica]Leach dismisses Houston[/FONT]

[FONT=Optima, Arial, Helvetica]BY DON WILLIAMS[/FONT]

Sophomore flanker Catron Houston has been kicked off the Texas Tech football team, head coach Mike Leach said, leaving the Red Raiders without the top backup to all-Big 12 Conference receiver Joel Filani.

"Basically, he's cut for violation of team rules,'' Leach said. "Catron's not coming back. He's definitely not.''

Houston went to high school at Houston Spring Woods and played in nine games for Tech last season as a true freshman. He caught three passes for 55 yards, including a 44-yard reception to the 1-yard line against Sam Houston State.

Filani caught 65 passes for 1,048 yards and eight touchdowns last year, but the next flanker on the depth chart is Edward Britton, who is a converted running back. Britton's first experience at receiver came in practices leading up to the Cotton Bowl.

Leach said the Raiders will consider their options during preseason practice.

"You've got freshmen coming in and then you've got miscellaneous guys at other positions that you could double train perhaps,'' Leach said. "Either Edward Britton, depending on how he emerges, or double teach somebody.''

Tech players report a week from today and begin workouts on Aug. 7.

SI's Truth and Rumors 7/31/06

Miami running back Tyrone Moss, recovering from knee surgery, plans to play Sept. 4 against Florida State. Coach Larry Coker is more cautious.
-- Miami Herald

Larry Coker said there is no update on whether Miami linebacker Willie Williams will transfer.
-- Miami Herald

Four months ago, he was to be USF's starting quarterback for 2006. Now, Carlton Hill likely won't even be on campus this fall. Hill, who has faced academic problems and was arrested on campus last month on a charge of possession of marijuana, will either redshirt this season as a receiver at USF or play quarterback somewhere else.
-- St. Petersburg Times

Troubled TE won't attend Wake this fall

Dennis Godfrey, a tight end from Sanford (N.C.), will not be in Winston-Salem this fall, despite committing to Demon Deacons in February.

The three-star prospect was recently indicted on charges for the rape and kidnapping of a 16-year-old girl at a cookout last October, and Wake Forest officials announced Friday that he would not be enrolling at the university this year. The 6-foot-3 225-pound recruit could face up to 30 years in prison if convicted of all counts

Tech DB stabbed in nightclub brawl

[SIZE=+1]Anthony Hines expected to be released from hospital later this week[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]03:02 PM CDT on Monday, July 31, 2006

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By KEITH WHITMIRE / The Dallas Morning News[/SIZE]
Texas Tech football player Anthony Hines was stabbed during a fight at a Lubbock nightclub early Saturday morning.
Hines said he was “just a little sore” when reached at his hospital room Monday after having surgery to repair a punctured colon.
Hines, a sophomore defensive back from Denison, said he was trying to play peacemaker when he was stabbed.
“Me and my friends went to a club called Heat and pretty much some dudes just didn’t like us,” Hines said. “I guess that night they decided to fight us. I wasn’t fighting anybody at all. I was trying to get everybody to back up [saying] ‘Come on, let’s go.’”
Hines said his attacker had hidden the knife when he assaulted him.
“I didn’t know he stabbed me until about 10 seconds later,” Hines said. “I looked down and I was bleeding.”
Texas Tech coach Mike Leach said he is still gathering information about the incident and could not make a determination as to whether Hines or others would face disciplinary action.
Leach confirmed that other players were involved, including freshman linebacker Dewayne Baziel from Galveston, who received stitches for an eye injury.
“I think there was just kind of a massive brawl,” Leach said. “There was a frat party and then this brawl broke out and somebody had a knife.
“The unfortunate thing about it is, I would like our team and our players to do a better job of selecting where they go. With that said, there’s no justification for criminal behavior.”
Leach said he wasn’t familiar with Club Heat, where the incident took place. He said players are warned to avoid certain nightspots in Lubbock.
“After this deal, this place is one of them,” Leach said.
Hines’ mother, Chantel Hines, said her son expects to be released from University Medical Center in a couple of days. Hines is a backup strong safety who played mostly on special teams last season.
Texas Tech players report for preseason workouts Sunday. The first practice is Monday and the season opener is Sept. 2 against SMU.
How soon Hines could return to practice, and under what conditions, remains to be determined. Leach said he is still waiting for the legal process to play out before determining any disciplinary action for offensive lineman Gabe Hall, who was cited for driving while intoxicated in June.
“We have to look into it thoroughly,” Leach said. “I have two concerns here. One is team and player welfare, and the second would be to determine if there was any misbehavior on our part that we need to address.”

UT player charged with aggravated assault
By RANDY KENNER, kenner@knews.com
July 31, 2006
A University of Tennessee football player has been charged with aggravated assault after allegedly pointing a toy weapon at another motorist on Interstate 40 Sunday.
The other driver turned out to be a law enforcement officer.
Marsalous Johnson, a 20-year-old defensive back from Smyrna, was charged in Putnam County and was being held on a $10,000 bond.
He appeared in court Monday morning and his case was continued to Sept. 6, according to Putnam County authorities.
Johnson, a redshirt freshman, was expected to provide depth at cornerback this fall.
According to a warrant Johnson was traveling east on I-40 when he became upset with another driver, Michael Hoover, who is listed as a Tennessee Wildlife Resources Officer.
Johnson allegedly pulled alongside Hoover’s vehicle and "pointed what appeared to be (a) weapon" at Hoover and a passenger in Hoover’s vehicle.
Johnson was subsequently stopped and the toy weapon was found under the passenger seat. UT spokeswoman Tiffany Carpenter said the university was looking into the situation.

Wide receiver disaster?
I got an email over a week ago, telling me I better look into the eligibility of senior WRs Marcel Love and Ruben Jackson.

The warning bell went unheeded.

I figured these guys were smart enough to mind their P's and Q's in the classroom this summer so no one would get embarrassed in the fall.

I mean, this spring we wrote about Marcel Love's hard work at nearby Linn-Benton CC as he fought to regain his place on the team after flunking out of school before the start of the 2005 season.

Love talked about how great it was to be back in uniform.

He talked excitedly about making a major contribution in 2006 as the Beavers tried to wade through their first season without Mike Hass, who is currently sweating it out at Millsaps College in Jackson, Miss., enduring his first NFL training camp.

But guess what?

The word out of Pac-10 media day Thursday was that both players are indeed in trouble, and may be academically ineligible for the start of fall practice next week.

That would be a punch to the solar plexus for the coaching staff, and a disaster on the depth chart, where Jackson is listed as the starting flanker and Love is backing up Sammie Stroughter at SE.

While school officials, off the record, are still optimistic that one or both of them can sneak through, the fact remains two very important pieces of the puzzle on the 2006 team have put themselves in a precarious academic position.

I was told Friday that if Love and Jackson "do what they need to do in the next couple of weeks '' they will be OK.

That probably doesn't make OSU coach Mike Riley feel any better. Between injuries and academics, it seems, Riley is always holding his breath when fall practice starts, waiting for the bad news to hit.

Last August, he found out Love and tri-captain Chaz Scott were ineligible and we all know what happened to TE Joe Newton.

When Riley signed two JC WRs after spring ball, it was an insurance policy in case something bad happened with Love, or Jackson, or oft-injured slotback Anthony Wheat-Brown.

If Love and Jackson can't play, OSU will pray that Wheat-Brown can stay healthy, that Stroughter has a breakout year, and that JC newcomers Chris Johnson (Grossmont College) and Shane Morales (College of the Canyons) are as good as advertised.

Harris Isn't With Gators For Now

The Tampa Tribune Published: Jul 29, 2006
http://www.cappingthegame.com/forum/
HOOVER, Ala. - Florida coach Urban Meyer said Friday that DT Steven Harris is not currently a member of the football team, but Meyer didn't rule out the possibility of Harris rejoining the team for this season.
Harris, who started all 12 games last season as a junior, missed all of spring practice for undisclosed personal reasons. Meyer said those issues continue to dog Harris.
"I wish I could say he's back in full speed, ready to go. I can't say that," Meyer said. "I can say that at times it's there. I can say that he's a class away from graduating at the University of Florida. However, there are a lot of issues still remaining there. At the appropriate time, I'll let you know."
NELSON TO CORNER:Reggie Nelson, who played free safety last season and strong safety this past spring, will move to cornerback for the start of fall practice, Meyer said.
The dismissal of CB Avery Atkins last month left the Gators thin at the position, and Meyer believes Nelson can cover receivers man-to-man.
"We're a man-coverage team," Meyer said. "I think he'll answer the challenge."
ATKINS CHARGED: Atkins, who transferred to Bethune-Cookman after his dismissal from Florida, has been charged with one misdemeanor count of domestic battery in Volusia County, state attorney's office spokeswoman Linda Pruitt said Friday.
Benarah Sanford, the mother of Atkins' son, accused the Daytona Beach native of punching her in the face during a June 17 dispute. Sanford also accused Atkins of false imprisonment, but Pruitt said investigators found insufficient evidence to charge Atkins.
No court date has been set for Atkins, Pruitt said.
PRAISE FOR HARVIN, FAYSON: Florida QB Chris Leak said he can't wait to see freshman WRs Percy Harvin and Jarred Fayson in a full-contact setting. Leak, who has been throwing to the freshmen on an almost daily basis this month, said the tandem reminds him of another pair of pass-catchers.
"I remember when [current New England Patriot] Chad [Jackson] and Bubba [Andre Caldwell] came in with me," Leak said. "They're very similar to those guys. They're very talented, and they're very hungry."
Harvin was rated the nation's top recruit by several analysts. Fayson, from Hillsborough High, also will train to be the Gators' third-team quarterback in the event Leak and backup Tim Tebow are injured.
PREDICTIONS, PREDICTIONS: The assembled media picked Auburn to beat Florida in the SEC title game in December. That pick didn't sit well with Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville, who recalled the last time his team was picked to win the conference in 2003.
"I appreciate the target you put on my back," Tuberville said. "Last time you did that, you almost got me fired."

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Texas Tech defensive back Anthony Hines was in satisfactory condition at a Lubbock hospital Monday, two days after his sister said he was stabbed in the abdomen during a fight at a night club.
Hines, who is vying for a starting role with the Red Raiders, was scheduled to begin preseason workouts Aug. 7.

TAMPA - Four months ago, he was to be USF's starting quarterback for 2006. Now, Carlton Hill likely won't even be on campus this fall.
The long, downward spiral that has been his offseason took another turn for the worse Sunday as USF coach Jim Leavitt said he was "leaning toward" placing the sophomore at a junior college.

Four Miami Hurricane players, including running back Tyrone Moss and receiver Ryan Moore, were suspended for the Sept. 4 season opener against Florida State because they violated team policy.
Linebacker James Bryant and receiver Rashaun Jones also were suspended, coach Larry Coker said Tuesday.

PlayWithMe said:
Four Miami Hurricane players, including running back Tyrone Moss and receiver Ryan Moore, were suspended for the Sept. 4 season opener against Florida State because they violated team policy.
Linebacker James Bryant and receiver Rashaun Jones also were suspended, coach Larry Coker said Tuesday.

just saw this...WOW...biggest one yet...i'll post the story..

Tuesday, August 1, 2006

Four Hurricanes suspended for Florida State game

Associated Press

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Four Miami Hurricane players, including running back Tyrone Moss and receiver Ryan Moore, were suspended for the Sept. 4 season opener against Florida State because they violated team policy.

Moore's suspension will include the second game of the season against Florida A&M. He was suspended for the Peach Bowl at the end of last season.

Coker declined to say what prompted the punishment.
"It's all the same incident," he said. "The message is pretty clear: We have high standards here. We're a program of quality kids. And these kids are good kids. They're not bad kids. But we've got to get this message across."

The suspended players will continue to practice with the team.

"These players are going to come back," Coker said. "They're going to have outstanding years. I believe that. But it won't be the first game."
Moss, a senior, rushed for 701 yards and 12 touchdowns in eight games last year before a knee injury sidelined him for the rest of the season. He'll be replaced by junior Charlie Jones, who rushed for 507 yards last year.

Moore, a senior, started nine games last season and caught 28 passes for 464 yards and four touchdowns. Bryant and Jones played mostly on special teams in 2005.

"When you lose good players, obviously it has an effect," Coker said. "But our expectations haven't diminished."

The suspensions are the latest blow this summer for a program accustomed to contending for the national title and trying to rebound from disappointing 9-3 records the past two years.

Former top recruit Willie Williams has been seeking to transfer. Reserve safety Willie Cooper was shot in the buttocks by an unknown assailant but escaped serious injury.

"It has been a tough offseason," Coker said. "There are some things that always go on with a major-college program that you have to deal with. But the key is to deal with them. That's what I want to do."

Whiteside, Erving will miss first three games
Spurrier suspends pair for violating ‘university policy’
By JOSEPH PERSON
jperson@thestate.com
USC has suspended a pair of reserves for the first three games of the season due to an undisclosed violation of university policy.
Senior receiver Noah Whiteside and junior safety Ty Erving will sit out the Gamecocks’ opening games against Mississippi State, Georgia and Wofford, USC coach Steve Spurrier announced Monday following his preseason golf tournament.
Spurrier refused to divulge the reason for the suspensions, other than to say the two players had broken “university policy.”
Whiteside might miss more than three games if he does not have a strong finish to summer school.
Said Spurrier: “Noah is not academically eligible yet. He could be if he passes everything at the end of the summer.”
Whiteside, a Greenville native, caught 20 passes in 2004 but sustained a severe leg injury during the 2005 spring game that hampered him last season. Whiteside had seven receptions for 131 yards and a touchdown in 12 games, including two starts.
Erving has been in trouble before during his USC career.
Former USC coach Lou Holtz dismissed the Batesburg native during the 2004 season for disciplinary reasons. A few months after rejoining the team in 2005, Erving was arrested with former teammate Josh Johnson in Five Points for simple possession of marijuana.
Erving applied for the pretrial intervention program to expunge the misdemeanor charge from his record. Named USC’s most improved defensive back during spring practice, Erving is listed as the No. 2 free safety behind Brandon Isaac on the preseason depth chart.

tough to bet some of these games right now with so much time left until the actual games...

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville has suspended linebackers Tray Blackmon and Kevin Sears from playing in the Tigers' first three games this season, two sources close to the situation said Wednesday. The players were expected to compete for starting jobs this season, but were disciplined by Tuberville after being arrested on alcohol-related charges during the past year.

Guess we should add in the latest breaking news.

OKLAHOMA - Kicked off team. Starting QB Bomar, Starting RG Quinn, for takin money under the table. Enjoy your retirement from football boys.

Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Vols Freshman TE Smith charged with drunken driving
Associated Press

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee freshman tight end Lee Smith was arrested Wednesday morning on campus and charged with drunken driving, making him the fourth player on the team to be arrested since May.

The Volunteers, coming off a 5-6 season, begin practice Friday. Smith is the second player to be arrested this week.

A star player from Powell High School, Smith was arrested after a university police officer saw him driving on the sidewalk, according to an affidavit of complaint obtained Wednesday by The Associated Press. He failed four field sobriety tests, the report said.

Smith refused to take a breathalyzer test and was taken into custody. Bond was set at $500.

Tuesday, August 1, 2006

UConn WR Fogarty done for '06 after ATV accident
Associated Press

STORRS, Conn. -- Connecticut wide receiver Seth Fogarty will not play this season, and may never play football again, after he was hurt last week while riding an all-terrain vehicle.

Coach Randy Edsall said Tuesday the junior sustained serious leg and foot injuries and underwent surgery.

"The prognosis for this year is definitely out," Edsall said. "There is some question as to whether he'll ever be able to play again."

Fogarty, of Morgantown, W.Va., played eight games last year, catching six passes for 43 yards and a touchdown. He was expected to play a lot this season.

Edsall said players are cautioned daily about risky activities.

"As many times as we try to parent and educate the young people, it's discouraging at times when young people just make those poor decisions, and you wonder as a coach, 'What should I have done more to make sure that a young man doesn't make that bad decision to put himself in jeopardy,"' he said.

Edsall also said redshirt freshman defensive end Kelvin Quarles plans to transfer to a school closer to his Georgia home.

Connecticut, which finished last year with a 5-6 record, starts practice Friday and opens its season Aug. 31 against Rhode Island.

Wednesday, August 2, 2006

Marijuana last straw as Utah St. dismisses LB Davis

Associated Press

LOGAN, Utah -- Utah State linebacker Steven Downs, one of five Aggies recently cited by police with marijuana possession, has been dismissed for "repeated violations" of team rules.

The brief statement released Wednesday by coach Brent Guy did not describe the violations. But spokesman Mike Strauss said the drug case was the last straw for Downs.

"Coach Guy is willing to give people a second chance," Strauss said. "If they do something again, he's pretty quick to pull the trigger. This is not Steven Downs' first violation."

Downs, 19, was projected to be a backup linebacker. The Anaheim, Calif., native had four years of eligibility remaining after not playing as a freshman last season.

Downs and four teammates were given misdemeanor marijuana citations July 22 after police responded to complaints of drug use at a Logan apartment.

Guy said the players quickly told him about the incident. The other four -- Kendall Fisher, Marcus Cross, Brennan McFadden and Ryan Tonnemacher -- have been punished and won't miss any games, Strauss said.

This is their first violation of team rules, he said.

Back