College rule change and how it will ruin MANY games this year....

vanzack

Pretty much a regular
Most of the time rule changes are not major. A few adjustments and you are on your way and you forget the way it was before. But the rule change of the clock starting in college football on any change of possession will be A DISASTER.

New Rule Defined:
On any change of possession (including turnovers, punts, kickoffs, missed FG's etc) the clock will start right when the ball is spotted on the field by the ref.

Potential Problems:
1. Offenses will have to rush on the field after a change of possession and if they need to hurry will be chaotic. It already happened last night in the SC / Miss St game. SC got possession after a punt at about midfield with about a minute left but didnt get a snap off on 1st down for about 20 seconds. They didnt score.
2. Commercial breaks. THIS IS A KEY ONE. Imagine this - there is a minute left in a game and Miami is down 4 points to FSU. FSU punts to Miami and Miami returns it to the 40. NOW - will the network televising the game take a commercial break? If they do, the time doesnt start running until they are back from commercial which means that the offense has 2 minutes on the sideline to huddle and get up to the line of scrimmage with no wasted time. If the network does not go to commercial, the offense has to run out and get ready with no extra time. Coaches and players will always be confused about this. Be prepared for disasters. Think about this and the potential problems associated.
3. Turnovers. The coach has the offense on the bench in a huddle when on the field there is a fumble. Now these guys have to immediately run out on the field and play. Better keep your helmet on.
4. YOU WILL SEE SPIKING OF THE BALL ON 1st DOWN!! Yes, you will see situations where a team takes over possession of the ball and will spike it to stop the clock on 1st down. Ridiculous.
5. Strategy on when to punt and everything else changes at the end of the game. 3 timeouts really isnt so great anymore because if you punt, you really need 4 timeouts because the clock will start immediately. You will see teams call timeout right after a punt. Its absurd.

I know that college football wanted to speed games up - but why not adopt the NFL's out of bounds policy of starting the clock or stop with the clock stopping after 1st downs?

I predict that this rule change will be an absolute disaster and abondoned after 1 year. I really dont think they know what they have gotten themselves into. Get ready - because you will be cursing at your TV all season.

You know I was watching for the effects of Rule 312-4-2 (or something like that) and I think that the concerns and effect will actually be more subtle than first feared.

Definitely something to watch for, but not the loss of 20 plays a game as previously feared.

I agree, Vanzant. Of course, I plan on taking advantage of it through the TOTALS until Vegas adjusts. The commercial situation was one the things I noticed a great deal last night. If you are a team needing to score, you certainly hope the network breaks for commercial timeout. However, you can't always depend on that.
beerchug.gif

rjurewitz said:
You know I was watching for the effects of Rule 312-4-2 (or something like that) and I think that the concerns and effect will actually be more subtle than first feared.

Definitely something to watch for, but not the loss of 20 plays a game as previously feared.

I totally disagree.

Wait until the first big game is decided over the confusion of whether the network is going to take a commercial break or not.

It will happen. Lots.

I agree....it's the stupidest thing I've ever seen...this had to be about the 50th best option for speeding games up...

Let's see after Miami-FSU or ND-GT. Those should be good examples.

Also agree that the NCAA should keep their nose out of college football. They're starting to get like the NFL and doing their best to kill their product. Less college football (quicker games)? Yeah...that's what fans want.

What is that? Mother Teresa giving the Wu?

If OTL replays tonight you need to catch it.

They talk about how TX would not have won the national championship last year, and how NO COACH IN AMERICA WANTED THIS RULE.

Yeah, I know about it and the that it is not wanted.

thewizardofodds.blogspot.com has had a number of articles and collection of articles on this throughout the summer.

It sucks. But I don't think as many of the nightmares come true as previously feared.

If they wanted to adopt the pro rules they should've just said so. I didn't see that much difference last night as they still went to commercials many times after COP's.

Teams will adapt.......it'll shave a few minutes off games, but what it really does it make coaches more accountable for how they use TO's. The better coached teams should profit a little from this.

Let me go on record.

I FUCKIN HATE THESE RULE CHANGES.

One reason I like college more than Niffel is the clock. Shit, in NFL, you can have quarters with 3 total possessions. That drives me nuts. Now, the clock never seems to stop iin college. I just saw 2 first halves blow by on TV. I really do not like it from any point of view.

Had to get that off my chest.

zactly chaz...why ruin the greatest sport there is..

well not ruin..but don't mess with near perfection

Vanzack--

I apologize. I was wrong. The effect is about as bad as expected. Figured we lost 2 minutes in the 1H of Texas due to clock rule. See the rule being used by huge dogs to keep the big fave O off the field. Extra value on the big dog, maybe.

Have to watch the rest of the day.

Fuck the NCAA

watching games more in full today RJ is showing me how this sucks.

Van was right on.

For some reason I didn't see much effect when watching Thursday. Definitely paying closer attention to clock and seeing the effect.

rjurewitz said:
Vanzack--

I apologize. I was wrong. The effect is about as bad as expected. Figured we lost 2 minutes in the 1H of Texas due to clock rule. See the rule being used by huge dogs to keep the big fave O off the field. Extra value on the big dog, maybe.

Have to watch the rest of the day.

Fuck the NCAA

It is about the dogs for sure but, you will really benefit when the Bowl games come. Not because of the dogs but because the capping will become much more accurate like this.

There WAS and IS too much wasted time in College games IMO. AND there was no way to cap the wasted production or lack of it in many, many games that falsly offer perception of every teams performance.

This will get MUCH better for everyone HERE as the season goes on. You'll see.

Last year there were an average of 141 plays per game in college football.

Through last night, the average was 119.

While less plays bother me a little bit, the key is that you will see major games decided on confusion. There will be games decided because coaches thought the network was going to take a commercial but didnt. There will be important turnovers nullified because the offense wasnt ready to take over. There will be far less comebacks. Teams that use timeouts early in a half will be punished severely.

I hate it, and it will get much worse.

vanzack said:
Last year there were an average of 141 plays per game in college football.

Through last night, the average was 119.

While less plays bother me a little bit, the key is that you will see major games decided on confusion. There will be games decided because coaches thought the network was going to take a commercial but didnt. There will be important turnovers nullified because the offense wasnt ready to take over. There will be far less comebacks. Teams that use timeouts early in a half will be punished severely.

I hate it, and it will get much worse.

Well, get used to what you predict because by the 6th or 7th game into the season youre gonna really like it.

Today would be a great day to bet on Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Buckeyes etc... – partly for some of your reasoning already which I agree with...

G-Man said:
Well, get used to what you predict because by the 6th or 7th game into the season youre gonna really like it.

Today would be a great day to bet on Paterno, Bobby Bowden, Buckeyes etc... – partly for some of your reasoning already which I agree with...

I understand what you are saying about taking advantage of betting teams with sharp coaches - but honestly your examples of Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden are probably the first 2 guys who would come to mind who would fuck this up bigtime! First off they are both senile, and second they both have been coaching the old way for 50 years.

I cant wait to see the patented "bowden look of confusion" when he finally realizes that indeed this is a rule.

But I do understand your point and it is well taken.

:shake:

vanzack said:
I understand what you are saying about taking advantage of betting teams with sharp coaches - but honestly your examples of Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden are probably the first 2 guys who would come to mind who would fuck this up bigtime! First off they are both senile, and second they both have been coaching the old way for 50 years.

I cant wait to see the patented "bowden look of confusion" when he finally realizes that indeed this is a rule.

But I do understand your point and it is well taken.

:shake:

OKAY I see your point. Just bet these guys when the other coaches are MORE confused and senile...

:an_roll_laugh:

Re adjust TV schedules..games end 30 minutes early now...they need time filler

Back