College Football Kind of Sucks This Year

College Knowledge

none of the teams are very dominant, none of the conferences are that good, we are missing the Vince Young and Reggie Bush's of the world, just not nearly as excited about some of these teams as I have been in year's past, this year will be interesting to see who comes on top, but no matter who it is, I don't think they would come within 14 points of Texas or USC from last year:down:

:drinking:

That was probably the most agreed upon thought in preseason posts was that there were no dominant teams or players in the NCAA this season.

beer.gif

well, we do at least have probably your favorite player, at least according to your logo, Adrian Peterson, he is certainly going to be special at the next level if they don't run him to death in college

That's true. What he has been able to do without an offensive line this season has been admirable.

redbearde said:
the SEC is tough....but abcs will tell ya...
what does abcs mean? yeah, your right, they may have the best overall conference this year, not sure any of them will win the National Championship though

SoonerBS said:
That's true. What he has been able to do without an offensive line this season has been admirable.
he is L. White with more speed, he is an amazing running back in a bad offensive system, can't help but to think what a player like him would have done under Carroll with all that other talent around him to take the focus off him

abcs is a poster here.

auburn may have a NC shot. My shortlist would include em...Michigan, certainly, and I think one might even call UM dominant. LSU..WVU is in the mix with that schedule...

johnson at boise is fun to watch.....slaton and white at wvu....

the glass is half full, bro.

yeah you may be right, Auburn is good, just hard for me to think of a team winning the national championship that scored 7 points on their own homefield in their biggest matchup of the season, you know? I can remember when they were preseason number 1 a few years back and we went in their as 3 point underdogs, Fight On was playing all night as we spanked them 23-0 in their own house, those fans were dumbfounded, never forget the look on their faces when I left that game, anyhow, I just always see that team as a low scoring team, I just named you 2 huge games in which they scored a total of 7 points in at home? we will see though, their defense certainly looks good all the time

College Knowledge, not trying to be rude or insulting, but did you see the LSU/AU game? Putting my personal bias aside, that game was one of the hard hitting, most contested games I have seen in a while.

I understand AU only came up with 7. But you are talking about two solid teams that were dirtrolling everyone up until that game, no ifs ands or buts. That was two of the fastest team defenses I have seen in a while, maybe ever, together. Solid teams. You can probably count out LSU, but AU is in it as long as they are unbeaten. Hell, LSU and Texas have lost early enough to climb back in it if possible.

I know tOSU is great, but I just have a feeling someone is going to jump up and bite them.

My favorites to make it unscathed? The Trojans (weak, weak sched) and Michigan (lookin good with a favorable sched).

But any one of these teams could collapse so we'll see.

JumpOnBoard said:
I'm assuming we're purposely leaving T Smith out of this thread for a reason...
you know, your right, that guy is very good, so is Ginn, I don't see them like I saw Reggie and Vince, but they are both great college players, what I meant is the teams are lacking this season though, even the Buckeyes, they are great on offense, but they look vulnerable on defense to me, I still think they are a little more of a polished team than USC right now, but they are not unbeatable

Space Geauxst said:
College Knowledge, not trying to be rude or insulting, but did you see the LSU/AU game? Putting my personal bias aside, that game was one of the hard hitting, most contested games I have seen in a while.

I understand AU only came up with 7. But you are talking about two solid teams that were dirtrolling everyone up until that game, no ifs ands or buts. That was two of the fastest team defenses I have seen in a while, maybe ever, together. Solid teams. You can probably count out LSU, but AU is in it as long as they are unbeaten. Hell, LSU and Texas have lost early enough to climb back in it if possible.

I know tOSU is great, but I just have a feeling someone is going to jump up and bite them.

My favorites to make it unscathed? The Trojans (weak, weak sched) and Michigan (lookin good with a favorable sched).

But any one of these teams could collapse so we'll see.
this thread wasn't started for arguments sake, just an observation that college football isn't as exciting without the dominant teams, and as far the weak schedule comment toward the Trojans, I'm going to assume your joking since USC plays a great OOC schedule every year, the Trojans may not be the best team in the country this year bro, but they will play anyone, anywhere, anytime, the hard thing is finding teams that want to play them, we have already played on the road at an SEC school, we just played Nebraska and we play Notre Dame later in the year, that is not a weak schedule like you said

i disagree.... i still think usc has what it takes to dominate on both sides of the ball and they look to be thr front runner to win it all. very balanced on both sides of the ball. able to create turnovers on defense and abl to run the rock with 3 rbs. booty has impressed me so much as well making very good decisions in 2 games.

tOSU is def 2nd in my poll to usc. troy smith just gets better every week. not a fan of ginn as he is overhyped as much as brady. ginn is just a speedster a dime a dozen. smith has an arm and athletic enoughh to run as well. defense is coming along and forgot to mention gonzalez @ reciever looks to be a great pro prospect in his stye of play more than ginn.

au/lsu both look great and either could py in NC this year IMO.

wvu/lou same as above. lou won their first big test this year now they have white and slaton to take care of. winner of this game wil def be in the NC game against one of the mentioned 4 above. looks like a great year to me.

also would like to mention that usc has the number 1 rated schedule this year and i think its not unrealistic to think this team could go 13-0 this year

I think the team in your logo might be better than we are right now Troy, the Trojans are so very young, we did lose 11 players to the NFL draft last year, that is almost unheard of

College Knowledge said:
you know, your right, that guy is very good, so is Ginn, I don't see them like I saw Reggie and Vince, but they are both great college players, what I meant is the teams are lacking this season though, even the Buckeyes, they are great on offense, but they look vulnerable on defense to me, I still think they are a little more of a polished team than USC right now, but they are not unbeatable
t

Very true...but alot of people are talking about Mich...but the schedule sets up much better for the Bucks IMO...

Mich gets Iowa and MSU at home, but has to go to PSU (big revenge spot) and to tOSU...

tOSU only really has PSU at home (17 pt faves, so doesnt seem like a stumble spot w/ revenge on mind)...@ IOWA and @ MSU...and then get Mich at home...

I think they're schedule sets up better...they also don't play Wisky...

Ohio State is better coached than Michigan, that has been the case since Tressel arrived, that guy is a great coach, one of the best in the country as shown every year when they blow somone out in a bowl game

wvu is probably as good as it get offensively depends who they play in NC in temrs of matchups(assuming they run the table and make it there). wvu is vulnerable to:
usc
tOSU
texas
lou
lsu
au

notice what those teams all have in common? great offenses and even better defensives minus lou and buckeyes. they could lose to teams that can score toe-toe with them. love wvu this year its a week to week thing woth them though in temrs of matchups. b/c of the young secondary.

TroyStacks said:
wvu is probably as good as it get offensively depends who they play in NC in temrs of matchups(assuming they run the table and make it there). wvu is vulnerable to:
usc
tOSU
texas
lou
lsu
au

notice what those teams all have in common? great offenses and even better defensives minus lou and buckeyes. they could lose to teams that can score toe-toe with them. love wvu this year its a week to week thing woth them though in temrs of matchups. b/c of the young secondary.
not sure anyone can stop that Slaton kid though, he is nice

SEC guys like to say it, but it's true...the big sec teams knock each other out of contention.

had LSU won on saturday, i'd have said them instead of auburn, and LSU would have auburn's spot in the polls. I think lsu might be the best team in the country.

I just wish russel would stop lofting it and bullet it in there...

Georgia's real good too, but they need to score more to be Really Fucking Great.

USC v Auburn
I think USC with leinart & bus being held to 3tds is pretty damned good. UsC did win the NC that year, right? sure, auburn shoulda scored points, but if SC had to play auburn, Tenn, LSU, and Florida Defense every year, then they'd get shut out occasionally too.

anyway...just my opinion. I figure winner of SEC champ game plays Michigan for NC this year.

but I honestly don't know shit, and I could be totally wrong.

the thread wasn't about conference arguments, so hopefully people don't take it that way, I am a USC fan, but I'm not a homer, I call it like I see it, if you read my thread you will notice I am betting on Zona this weekend, anyhow, the SEC teams are physical with one another, that is true, they also have great defenses, but I think part of the reason their defenses look so good is because they have bad offenses, just wait until those teams you mention play Arkansas this season, I bet none of them score 50 like the Trojans did on them and they won't beat them nearly as bad either, look at last year's game, USC scored 70 on that team and they nearly beat some of those SEC schools, so my point is, the defense over there looks better than it really is because the offenses aren't very good, not saying the conference isn't solid, just pointing out a few things

iM not an sec homer.. In fact i dont like our conference. I dont defend it. I just went to school here. We have bad offenses not great defenses. I will say besides USC what pac 10 team has come down here and won?? LSU went into Arizona st last year and won, they smashed zona. Tenn beat cal etc etc. This is a strong year for the SEC but the past few have been down.

as long as the trophy stays in the big XII i dont give a damn how bad our division is...w/ that said:

HOOK 'EM

ps....sooner, wtf is this?!!?!---->
crazy.gif

a Hook'em fan, I know you can relate with my thread, you have to be missing the great Vince Young right now? and I don't think you have to worry about any trophies staying in the Big12 this season considering your best 3 teams all have a loss, next year will be the year that Texas makes some noise again, especially if they give that Snead kid a chance

these stats are for you redbearde because I like to be factual when making a point so it is evident that I'm not a homer, but someone who is stating facts

last year's Arkansas team

lost at USC 70-17
lost at LSU 19-17
lost to Auburn 34-17
lost at Georgia 23-20

this year USC beat them 50-14, lets see what those other offenses do, that is why the SEC appears to have such great defenses, it is because their offenses just aren't very good, they scored the same amount of points on USC last year as all those supposed "great defenses" and to be honest, USC didn't have a good defense last year and USC doesn't have a great offense this year, we have nothing but new starters, yet I can almost guarantee you that nobody in the SEC will put up 50 on Arkansas or anywhere close to that number

Your thesis assumes that scoring more points = better offense or better team (by proxy from better conference). It doesn't. Stanford scores more points than almost all SEC teams almost every week. Don't think for a second that Stanford is better than any team in the SEC.

No one in the SEC tries to put up 50 any week. It isn't their style.

I guarantee you that LSU looked at that stat and said, "HOw THE FUCK DID WE LET THEM SCORE 17 ON US?!?!?!?"

SEC teams try to pound the shit out of each other. PAC10 teams go around defenses.

SC's first couple scores against Arky last year were immediate. They spent the next one driving the field, pounding it into the line, and taking up clock.

This year, LSU didn't manage 50 even against ULL. They had the same exact score against Arizona, and I fully expect SC to score more than that. I'll be surprised if they don't.

This does not mean LSU's offense is bad. It means they pound the ball, run the clock, and go through people instead of around.

PAC 10 teams regularly put up 30-50 on each other. They throw around and over defenses. If they miss, the clock stops. Oregon put up 14 in what, 30 secs last week? It took LSU 4 minutes to have 2 shots at the endzone at the end of the Auburn game. It's a different style of play.
I don't believe for a moment that Auburn has a bad offense. Mississippi St doesn't have a bad defense at all, and Auburn dropped 34 on em. With a bruising style.

These teams just don't make it a point to win by 70. USC with Leinart & Bush was an exceptional team, so you can use that as a benchmark if you want to, but I would prefer to see a sort of pac 10 vs sec challenge (like the ACC Big 10 challenge in CBB) before I just decide one conference isn't quite as dominant because of lower scores.

I'm no homer here, either. I'm an acc guy who went to NCSU. I've bet against my team for 4 weeks now, and won all 3. i fully expect the wolfpack to lose this week too, and I recognize that my conference is WAY down this year.

I apologize if this is coming across as angrily argumentative. It's not what I mean. I'm enjoying the conversation, and I appreciate the alternative point of view. I also fully mean it when I say I know I could be absolutely wrong. I was wrong about quite a lot of things in week 3.

:)

redbearde said:
oh, and Arky's team sucked ass last year.
I know they sucked, but how did they almost win at LSU if they sucked, only lose by 3 at Georgia if they sucked, you made my point for me bro, they scored the same amount of points on a bad USC defense that they scored in each of those SEC games against those teams with "great defenses", that was my exact point

and I don't take offense to anything you say, I like hearing people's points of view, but I also like to show facts so things don't get out of hand with bad arguments by people who aren't intelligent enough to see the other side of the argument, thanks for you input and hope you team gets better as the year goes on, NC State lost alot of NFL talent on their defense, but they will get back to being good again soon, just rebuilding, good luck the rest of the year

NC State had these problems last year, and that defense repeatedly bailed em out in the 2nd half. Now without that D...well...obvisouly things aren't going well. You have more faith in em than I do.

redbearde said:
NC State had these problems last year, and that defense repeatedly bailed em out in the 2nd half. Now without that D...well...obvisouly things aren't going well. You have more faith in em than I do.
well I did alot of research on NC state after the NFL draft, because I just couldn't imagine Reggie not being the best player in the draft and the number 1 pick, and after looking at it, I just found out how much NFL talent NCState had floating around on last year's defense, they were the real deal on that side of the ball last season, at least according to how they were drafted

I gotta say tOSU is the most dominant in college football this year so far...they have three playmakers in Ginn, Gonzalez and of course Smith and the D will only get better...It is ludicrous to call UM dominant at this stage.

I love the parity this year but think tOSU sticks out..it is damn impressive to go to Austin and win convincingly whether it was a freshmen QB or not.

Yeah, but no one should have gone before Reggie Bush. Houston could have traded him for an O-Line.....which is one thing they desperately need.

Last year, the pack D was damned stout. It was a joy to watch. This year, not so much. The offense hasn't been good since Philip Rivers and TA (the fumbletron 4000) McClendon left. Get this. Folks were clamoring last year for Stone instead of Jay Davis. Kooky, eh?

College Knowledge said:
I know they sucked, but how did they almost win at LSU if they sucked, only lose by 3 at Georgia if they sucked, you made my point for me bro, they scored the same amount of points on a bad USC defense that they scored in each of those SEC games against those teams with "great defenses", that was my exact point

and I don't take offense to anything you say, I like hearing people's points of view, but I also like to show facts so things don't get out of hand with bad arguments by people who aren't intelligent enough to see the other side of the argument, thanks for you input and hope you team gets better as the year goes on, NC State lost alot of NFL talent on their defense, but they will get back to being good again soon, just rebuilding, good luck the rest of the year

Did you see what happened to LSU in the SEC Championship?
Georgia was not that much better than us last year. Our guys were totally beat after playing so many weeks in a row while housing evacuees and waiting 2 hours to get a tank of gas. Life here was a BITCH for 3 months following Katrina and it still takes me twice as long to commute every day. Arkansas was the last regular season game and we were lucky to win that one. Thats my excuse and the other reason is if we are up by 3 well thats plenty if the defense holds solid as expected.

What redbearde posted above are my EXACT thoughts. THERE IS NO COMPARING PAC-10 AND SEC FOOTBALL. And I dont care if you went on the road and beat the SECs version of Arizona St. The Auburn win at Auburn was impressive and I applaud that but that team you beat wasnt the Auburn of 04 or 06 they still had wide eyed Campbell back there.

http://www.wilddogdigital.com/Auburn2006/index.htm

If Oklahoma is making such a fuss I really wish we would too.
There is no doubt in my mind LSU was the better team on that field Saturday. I counted 11 uncalled interference penalties (BLATANT) when rewatching the game Sunday night. This was not bad officiating this was a clearly fixed game. REGARDLESS our idiot coach lost the damn game.
LSU is more talented than ANY team in the SEC this year. But they have a fucking moron coach that will hold us back until we dump this stooge.
Russell in the shotgun would be damn near unstoppable and yes our OL is a weakness but give me a fucking break 3 points with the weapons we have. GO BACK TO THE LITTLE 12 LES MILES - YOU FUCKING BUM

ARE YOU SERIOUS ABOUT THE BAD OFFENSE INSTEAD OF GOOD DEFENSE?

How many yards did Oklahoma muster in the 1st H against that overrated LSU Defense in the ONLY 2003 National Championship game?

PURPLE & GOLD said:
Did you see what happened to LSU in the SEC Championship?
Georgia was not that much better than us last year. Our guys were totally beat after playing so many weeks in a row while housing evacuees and waiting 2 hours to get a tank of gas. Life here was a BITCH for 3 months following Katrina and it still takes me twice as long to commute every day. Arkansas was the last regular season game and we were lucky to win that one. Thats my excuse and the other reason is if we are up by 3 well thats plenty if the defense holds solid as expected.

What redbearde posted above are my EXACT thoughts. THERE IS NO COMPARING PAC-10 AND SEC FOOTBALL. And I dont care if you went on the road and beat the SECs version of Arizona St. The Auburn win at Auburn was impressive and I applaud that but that team you beat wasnt the Auburn of 04 or 06 they still had wide eyed Campbell back there.

http://www.wilddogdigital.com/Auburn2006/index.htm

If Oklahoma is making such a fuss I really wish we would too.
There is no doubt in my mind LSU was the better team on that field Saturday. I counted 11 uncalled interference penalties (BLATANT) when rewatching the game Sunday night. This was not bad officiating this was a clearly fixed game. REGARDLESS our idiot coach lost the damn game.
LSU is more talented than ANY team in the SEC this year. But they have a fucking moron coach that will hold us back until we dump this stooge.
Russell in the shotgun would be damn near unstoppable and yes our OL is a weakness but give me a fucking break 3 points with the weapons we have. GO BACK TO THE LITTLE 12 LES MILES - YOU FUCKING BUM

ARE YOU SERIOUS ABOUT THE BAD OFFENSE INSTEAD OF GOOD DEFENSE?

How many yards did Oklahoma muster in the 1st H against that overrated LSU Defense in the ONLY 2003 National Championship game?

The short of it IMO, LSU got screwed on the PI call. i have NEVER seen a flag picked up on a call like that. I realize that a PI call is suppose to be a judgement call, however, if you use the tip ball before the PI accured, then it is not a judgement call at that point. Regardless where it was tipped, that play should've been reviewed and the right call would've been made. And to make matters worse, the SEC said they made the right call? WTF????

I was on LSU as well as Oklahoma saturday. I can honestly attribute the LSU "the ball was tipped" horseshit to a bad call at game speed...with the defensive speed of those two teams, I can accept a team of officials getting confused. Also, LSU had several chances to win that game in the last 5 minutes. I know Auburn has a tough defense, but Russell should have been able to command LSU down the field and into the EZ. If he sends that last pass down as hard as he can throw instead of lofting it, then he gives the receiver the time to spin out of the tackle (maybe) and it would have been a cakewalk into the EZ. We had a good shot at winning that game. It was a bad call, but it didn't dictate the outcome of the game.

That crap in Oregon was totally inscrutable, though. I just don't get how anyone could possibly miss that call; and had the correct call been made, there is no doubt that Oklahoma would have won. Two different situations in my mind.

Hmm, you know, I haven't watched a tOSU game yet this season....perhaps they are a dominant team, but I wouldn't know. Certainly Troy Smith is damn good...

Goose said:
The short of it IMO, LSU got screwed on the PI call. i have NEVER seen a flag picked up on a call like that. I realize that a PI call is suppose to be a judgement call, however, if you use the tip ball before the PI accured, then it is not a judgement call at that point. Regardless where it was tipped, that play should've been reviewed and the right call would've been made. And to make matters worse, the SEC said they made the right call? WTF????

If a ball is tipped, then you can clobber someone before the ball gets to em. However, the ball was tipped after the clobbering in this case. The SEC said that it was the right call because the tipping of the ball made it uncatchable, but this is not what the ref said on scene.

I agree, LSU got screwed on that call, but it didn't cost them the game. LSU's inability to score a TD all game cost them that game. They should have had at least one at least in the 4th Q. That's on the offense for not getting it done...not the refs for not giving them the reach-around while pushing their shit.

:shake:

redbearde said:
If a ball is tipped, then you can clobber someone before the ball gets to em. However, the ball was tipped after the clobbering in this case. The SEC said that it was the right call because the tipping of the ball made it uncatchable, but this is not what the ref said on scene.

I agree, LSU got screwed on that call, but it didn't cost them the game. LSU's inability to score a TD all game cost them that game. They should have had at least one at least in the 4th Q. That's on the offense for not getting it done...not the refs for not giving them the reach-around while pushing their shit.

:shake:

I agree RB, you got to win the game on your play b/c the calls can go either way. I hate for calls at the end of the game to get so much air time. I don't see Auburn running the table so it shouldn't matter in the end but....

I did give the coach credit for losing a game that should have been a two score game. But the bad calls didnt start in the 2nd half. Someone above mentioned instant replay.......oh they used it alright. A key drive in the first half its about 3rd and 8 from the AUB 35 and LSU hits a little pass to the RB for about a 10 yard gain he turns takes TWO STEPS and then the ball is stripped out from behind and rolls out of bounds. Its called a catch on the field (which it was) and then a fumble out of bounds.....1ST DOWN LSU......INSTANT REPLAY comes in and they find INDISPUTABLE EVIDENCE?????? that it was NEVER a catch and overturn it.
Later in the same half an LSU WR in the endzone is waiting for the ball and the AUB guy completely grabs a hold of his left hand (our WR is visibly attempting to get his hand back) and SHOCKINGLY he has trouble catching it with one hand tied in a knot with the AUB defenders arm. And of course you guessed it NO CALL. I could go on because I rewatched and 11 CLEAR calls went against LSU. Its not just sour grapes I can assure you and I DO place blame on LES "Lame-Brain" MILES but I promise you the best team didn't get the win on Saturday. LSUs defense I will put up against any in the country....ANY. If our coach didnt think he was a genius OFF CORD we would be 3-0 and #3 but now we get to watch from the sidelines. Refs will screw up but BACK TO BACK rapings at Auburn is tough to stomach. The Rule they used in 2004 was used ZERO more times that year. CHEATED AGAIN!

Arky almost won in uga last year becuz our qb got hurt.. we were up with a descent size lead before that. And your boy the legend had uga first half ;)

Back