Coaching hires and rumors

booksbestfriend

On Johnny's Shitlist
Reading that the Brohm Brothers are headed to Purdue. From an outsider, this appears to be a grand slam. Don't know if they are sticking around WKU, or are hitting the recruiting trail. Few other jobs up for grab. What are you hearing, thinking..and how does that effect your Bowl predictions?

Would love Egg's take on this, being the only Purdue alumni I recall on the board.

Guess we can throw the LSU OC job in here too.
Kiffin is choice number 1, but seems Houston wants him too. UH is tired of losing coaches so there is a big buyout deal that is holding those talks up.
Lincoln Riley is a coach that is desired as well....heard Oregon wants him too as well as interest from LSU....Major Applewhite has been thrown around for LSU OC too....
Apparently Helfrich reached out to LSU about the job as well.
I'd take Kiffin but equally would want Riley in the spot.....supposedly O thought he had Kiffin in his pocket and pitched that to LSU in the infamous "binder" lol.....

Back to Purdon't. Can anyone really have success there?
I guess it would take a Drew Brees like recruit to really change things yes?

Guess we can throw the LSU OC job in here too.
Kiffin is choice number 1, but seems Houston wants him too. UH is tired of losing coaches so there is a big buyout deal that is holding those talks up.
Lincoln Riley is a coach that is desired as well....heard Oregon wants him too as well as interest from LSU....Major Applewhite has been thrown around for LSU OC too....
Apparently Helfrich reached out to LSU about the job as well.
I'd take Kiffin but equally would want Riley in the spot.....supposedly O thought he had Kiffin in his pocket and pitched that to LSU in the infamous "binder" lol.....

Why would Kiffin or Riley make a horizontal move?

Can't speak for Riley, but working for Saban has to be taxing. Surely you can learn a lot, but perfectionist are difficult.

IMO Kiffin is very fortunate to have the OC position with Alabama. He is a proven douche bag with the way he handled the Tenn situation, and then he failed miserably at USC with great talent. He's lucky Saban was willing to take a chance on him and give him the oppty to rebuild his sordid reputation. Why would he ever leave that position for a lateral at LSU?

Back to Purdon't. Can anyone really have success there?
I guess it would take a Drew Brees like recruit to really change things yes?

They had success with Orton too and others. A good coach can win there.

Two good hires if both happen - looks like Brohm is done deal.

Twink, if your AD bought that it's his own fault. I just dont see how that made sense to anyone other than Coach O and LSU hopeful fans

The kiffen to LSU is so dumb, if he leaves it's to be a head coach not an assistant at an inferior program with a shitty HC.

Interesting. I like him. You don't, I take it?

Good to see ya bro :shake:

I think Kelly is a poor facsimile of the guy we lost that ended up with y'all. Jeremy Pruitt. Don't get me wrong Kelly is decent, but honestly I'd be ok if some school lured him away and forced Jimbo to mine some other talent to lead the D. Maybe the Ville game has tainted me, but I saw WAY to much confusion in the defense this year. He ain't coaching up 2 & 3 stars, I don't see much room for excuse when 4 & 5 star talent looks lost for 8wks.

Reality says yeah he ain't awful l, but don't think another year of wasting blue chips is good either.

Kelly gets a reprieve of sorts this year because Jimbo's O wasn't shit this either. But I'm certainly not opposed to some school scooping Kelly

And always great seeing you Ck

I think Kelly is a poor facsimile of the guy we lost that ended up with y'all. Jeremy Pruitt. Don't get me wrong Kelly is decent, but honestly I'd be ok if some school lured him away and forced Jimbo to mine some other talent to lead the D. Maybe the Ville game has tainted me, but I saw WAY to much confusion in the defense in the defense this year. He ain't coaching up 2 & 3 stars, I don't see much room for excuse when 4 & 5 star talent looks lost for 8wks.

Reality says yeah he ain't awful l, but don't think another year of wasting blue chips is good either.

Kelly gets a reprieve of sorts this year because Jimbo's O wasn't shit this either. But I'm certainly not opposed to some school scooping Kelly

And always great seeing you Ck

Aub is a decent shot if Malzahn gets canned next year - new guy could maybe bring him on - he's an Aub guy. I felt like the loss of Derwin James combined with the early season offensive juggernauts yall faced just painted an inaccurate picture of they type of defense you really are. His adjusted D is fringe top 25 and that's saying something considering how bad things went early. I know yall will miss Demarcus Walker, one of my fav players in the game to watch. I often wonder what it would be like if he went with Bama? Opener next year at the new GA Dome should be awesome. Would think both teams will be top 10

Boosters hated Kiffin at USC, partly because they are needy , partly because he wasn't Petey, and partly because Kiffin is cranky fucker..

Wonder if he is on any NFL radars

Boosters hated Kiffin at USC, partly because they are needy , partly because he wasn't Petey, and partly because Kiffin is cranky fucker..

Wonder if he is on any NFL radars

I think it's very likely either Houston if they don't decide to hire DC Todd Orlando, who I still believe it will be if I had to bet, or USF if Wille T heads off. I don't follow the NFL really so no idea there someone else would know better.

I just don't think he did a rehab stint at BAma where he has done great things to coach at Houston.

Always just got the impression he hated dealing with the bullshit of being a head coach in college ( boosters). He was a good recruiter

You could be right. I think Houston is a pretty nice spot to land for a few years. Can't argue with the jobs their coaches have gotten when they leave there.

Kiffin is 9/1 currently and Orlando is 44/1 to get Houston job I just found. I put some loose change on both, keep things interesting! Miles is +150, Riley -160, Field +150, Major Applewhite 44/1

Kelly adjusted his play calling late in the year, resulting in more pressure. He was too reactive with the early season player injuries, when he should have dialed up more pressure. The back end of the D paid for it, as they were continually got burned and/or were out of position. A light went off sometime late, and the sack totals along w/ tackles for loss increased. Coulda, woulda, shoulda...He is not Jeremy Pruitt, but not many are. He is a solid coach, that adjust well at half. He doesn't seem to grasp that early in games the plan can be switched.

Bama boards claiming Kiffin to Houston a done deal......Bama fans don't give a fukk tho, saying they roll with him or without him......curious if anyone can confirm

you don't think these coaches have egos and what to be the man at a program?
Sure.....which one? At Houston where a buyout may prevent another departure early? No.....that's why he isn't the coach there yet. It may happen but UH is tired of being a stepping stone and don't seem to be backing down just yet...so, in that instance, money will talk

Not hearing much on the Oregon front, which is surprising given their resources. It's still a good job in a good conference that allows you to get to the "Final 4" if you win. Maybe the Western Mich guy goes there, but that's a very large leap for him.

The deal with Kiffin is that I'm pretty sure Saban doesn't want him back. I also don't think he is getting calls from the programs he thinks he should about being a HC. Maybe once some more dominoes fall, there might be something for Lane, but if there's no HC job, and he's not retained by Alabama, getting $1.5M+ at LSU looks like a pretty soft landing spot. I fear that he will implode there, but I could be wrong. But the general consensus among Alabama guys is that Kiffin will not be at Alabama next year, regardless of HC offers

The deal with Kiffin is that I'm pretty sure Saban doesn't want him back. I also don't think he is getting calls from the programs he thinks he should about being a HC. Maybe once some more dominoes fall, there might be something for Lane, but if there's no HC job, and he's not retained by Alabama, getting $1.5M+ at LSU looks like a pretty soft landing spot. I fear that he will implode there, but I could be wrong. But the general consensus among Alabama guys is that Kiffin will not be at Alabama next year, regardless of HC offers
lol

Joey Swampwater?

Interesting to see what he will go with offense too - Temple is top 5 slowest moving offense and Baylor top 5 fastest this past year. Wonder if he sticks with his offense - about the only way his defense will be any good which is ultimately the reason I think he was hired. You think Baylor will be cool with him running it his way?

no fucking way. those boosters and fan base will freak out if he doesn't run a variation of a spread.

Riley will leave OU for a head coaching gig, he's not leaving to be an OC elsewhere, that I know for certain .

Agree with the above. He is an excellent coach, but I don't know about the fit.

There are some similarities between the two jobs. Temple started as a Baptist school although I think that religious connection was abandoned long ago. Both schools face a hard road in recruiting.

I'm surprised Rhule took the job because I think he was going to get opportunities that were a lot better than Baylor. Briles had some success, but it is HARD to get guys to go to a strict Baptist school in the middle of nowhere, and over the long term Baylor cannot compete with the big public universities in the Big 12. They have little spurts of success now and then, but long-term it is a hard place to succeed.

At Temple Rhule at least had academic achievement to sell, Baylor has nothing to brag about except some of the most extreme bible thumpers in Texas.

At Temple Rhule at least had academic achievement to sell, Baylor has nothing to brag about except some of the most extreme bible thumpers in Texas.

Baylor is a really good school and I'm pretty sure it's a better academic school then Temple.

oregon should hire taggert. perfect offensive transition imo. he'll need to find a DC, but oregon should pony up for that.

Back