Coaching/GM Carousel 2013

Yes it is. Cowboys should fire Garrett and Romo. Many of these teams will replace disappointing coaches with other unproven disappointing coaches.

Bears and Lovie is kinda surprising. He will be at the top of the list for many teams who are looking I'm sure.

Lovie was a shock to me as well. No real surprises anywhere else. Tanenbaum gone in NY, but Rex gets a pass.

I think McCoy would be a great fit for Bears offense. If they can get their D a little younger they are right there for a run IMHO.

You knew Rex would get a pass because of the injuries.

Bringing in Tebow wasn't his fault either, that was poor management. They're a shambles at QB, though. He's going to really have to pull something out of his ass next year to keep that job.

Sanchez told reporters today that after talking to head coach Rex Ryan, he’s as confident as ever that they’re going to build a great team together.
“I had a good talk with Rex, and I know we’re destined for great stuff here,” Sanchez said. “I know we can be successful here. So that’s what I’m focused on. I’m excited to come back here and do my very best.”

Sucky better go spend some of that contract money on a QB coach in the offseason. Because he ain't gettin' it from the Jets. He could even write it off for tax purposes.

I'd also like to just say I wish Romeo Crennell was a better head coach. He seems like such a good guy, and he kind of looks like a walrus. I really wish he could have succeeded.

But holy fuck is he terrible as an HC.

That is all.

Whisenhunt and Lovie surprised me, i mean lovie did win 10 games this year. I think Whisenhunt is a heckuva coach who got f'd with qb and o line play, sounds like the gm hung him out to dry with those decisions.

Koetter, McCoy, both Grudens, Jim Caldwell, Chip Kelly, Bill O'Brien and I would say Whiz, Reid, and Lovie all have a great shot at a head coach job next year.

It's tough that Schwartz is likely going to keep his job. They need to fix that situation with him and his OC though. Not really sure how you can go through another season with them hating each other.

I also think Wiz lands on his feet. Maybe not with an HC gig this year, but with a really good coordinator gig at the very least.

Jon Gruden sounds like he will be staying in the booth, atleast from one report.

Bill Polian was the Jets target for GM but couldnt get past laughing his ass off at working for the NY Jets.

I feel like Gruden will always stay in the booth unless someone gives him more money than he'd know what to do with plus control of a franchise.

He's got it really good at ESPN right now, there's really almost no reason to rock that boat unless he feels he has to coach again or can't turn down the money/power.

But I don't look at a lot of jobs and think he's the guy for them. If Cleveland were essentially willing to make him coach & GM (which they won't), then maybe, but even then he'd be in Cleveland where I don't think he wants to be.

Gruden seems to love this "will he or won't he come back" stuff more than coaching. Every offseason, same old.

Gruden and Cowher are basically waiting for an elite coach with a Super Bowl caliber roster to die or get caught in a massage parlor.

You knew Rex would get a pass because of the injuries.

Bringing in Tebow wasn't his fault either, that was poor management. They're a shambles at QB, though. He's going to really have to pull something out of his ass next year to keep that job.

And starting Tebow would have allowed him to pull something out of his ass like Fox did last season with the Broncos. Not saying you are hating on Tebow, but the guy is a winner. It is almost like the Jets grout him in to ground him intentionally ... Like as a favor. I know that sounds absurd, but does anyone have a better opinion ....

Sanchez told reporters today that after talking to head coach Rex Ryan, he’s as confident as ever that they’re going to build a great team together.
“I had a good talk with Rex, and I know we’re destined for great stuff here,” Sanchez said. “I know we can be successful here. So that’s what I’m focused on. I’m excited to come back here and do my very best.”

A coach who is all hot air and a QB who couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie are gonna build a GREAT TEAM TOGETHER. Yea, ok.

I feel like Gruden will always stay in the booth unless someone gives him more money than he'd know what to do with plus control of a franchise.

He's got it really good at ESPN right now, there's really almost no reason to rock that boat unless he feels he has to coach again or can't turn down the money/power.

But I don't look at a lot of jobs and think he's the guy for them. If Cleveland were essentially willing to make him coach & GM (which they won't), then maybe, but even then he'd be in Cleveland where I don't think he wants to be.

Gruden is going to spend one more year in the box and then he will be the raiders coach with the keys to the franchise. Mark my words.

looks like Falcons OC Dirk Koetter has interviews with the Chiefs, Eagles, Browns

If that happens, the Falcons need to hire Steve Logan as their OC. He completed Matt Ryan's tenure at BC and ultimately made him better. Those two would, obviously, hit off well again.

Gruden or cowher to the browns, eh...y'all seen the pig in an airplane commercial?

Lol, I agree. The only team Cowher will ever coach again is his grand children's. and I honestly believe Chucky is content making good money in the booth and hanging out in his windowless office in Florida.

Gruden and Cowher are basically waiting for an elite coach with a Super Bowl caliber roster to die or get caught in a massage parlor.

So, you're saying he takes the Cleveland job then?

=)

Not saying you are hating on Tebow, but the guy is a winner. It is almost like the Jets grout him in to ground him intentionally ... Like as a favor. I know that sounds absurd, but does anyone have a better opinion ....

Well, as a Gator fan I loved Tebow. Then he really got on the Jesus juice in Denver, one of my more hated NFL franchises and I kind of wanted to hit him with a shovel. That said, I feel for him in this whole Jets debacle.

I think you're sort of right. I think the Jets front office did that deal without thinking about the on-the-field product. I think they did it to win press in the off-season and sell tickets. Then someone talked to Rex after it was way too late to turn back on it and that was that.

Now, to your point, I think Rex essentially thought either, 'what's the point' of playing him—for both partiesor he looked at it like 'I never liked this guy before we got him, I don't like or need him now, let's look at McElroy.'

So whether it was a conscious favor or an unconscious one, I do think it is a favor for Tebow. He was never a good fit there and keeping him there on the bench really could have simply his career. He'd have stayed in the league, but just on the bench for the next half a decade or more as a backup QB and two-play a game H-back.

At least this way he'll get a shot, and if it's in Jax it's better not just for Tebow, but for the future of that franchise that really needs to sell tickets.

Ron Wolf was hired as a consultant for Chargers...Prolly GM first , then head coach.

San Diego is somewhat attractive given that is has a serviceable qb, and very little to no pressure from media and fans

Lol at Ferentz being mentioned for the chiefs... This dude does just an awful job and they may promote him!

no word if he'd still be eligible for B1G coach of the year but still would prolly win it

Believe it was it time for a change in Chicago - Emery kept Lovie for a year. 7-1 to start the season and you don't make the playoffs was icing on the cake. Turner, Martz & Tice didnt help his case either, he just could not get anything on offense to go with their defense.

Need someone who can coach on the offensive side of the ball and really coach Cutler - similar to what Holmgren did with Favre.

I would think the Chi job is most attractive one out there - I know I am bias but good offensive players and a defense.

No, I don't think you're biased. I think Chicago followed by Philly are the two top jobs out there. Chicago because they're the closest to a SB, Philly because of ownership's track record of putting a playoff team on the field.

The rest are essentially the same bottom tier teams that turn over all the time save SD, but they're a mess off the field. And on the field people seem to have wobbling faith in Rivers.

Lol at Ferentz being mentioned for the chiefs... This dude does just an awful job and they may promote him!

no word if he'd still be eligible for B1G coach of the year but still would prolly win it

Lol He'd probably get another contract extension from the hawkeyes too.

I'm not going to lie, Jay Gruden interests me.

Thing is, the Birds seem to be casting a really wide net. They're asked to interview two different coaches on the Falcons' staff, and both Chip Kelley's and Bill O'Brien's names keep popping up everywhere.

I feel like they may really take their time.

In other news, the Akron paper keeps trying to stoke this Nick Saban to the Browns fire.

Mark my words, if the Browns hire Nick Saban he will burn that franchise right back down to the ground.

I get that he wouldn't have far to go, but he will destroy that team. Guaranteed.

That said, I personally don't think he's going to take any NFL job right now. He's on his way to becoming as big as Bryant in Alabama. He's making a ton of money & can't do any wrong there. That's really tough to leave.

In other news, the Akron paper keeps trying to stoke this Nick Saban to the Browns fire.

Mark my words, if the Browns hire Nick Saban he will burn that franchise right back down to the ground.

I get that he wouldn't have far to go, but he will destroy that team. Guaranteed.

That said, I personally don't think he's going to take any NFL job right now. He's on his way to becoming as big as Bryant in Alabama. He's making a ton of money & can't do any wrong there. That's really tough to leave.

Tony Grossi, the exiled former Plain Dealer Browns beat reporter, also seems to think Saban's their guy.

I disagree about Saban, Im not saying he is going to coach the Browns, but I think he will be in the NFL someday. I just don't see him as the Tom Osborne, Joe PA, Bowden type guy.

I don't know him personally, but these guys are always looking for the next challenge, they get bored, unmotivated. Just my opinion, but I think he tries his hand at the NFL again

Back