Clemson vs Ohio State Preview Thread

When the giants beat the Patriots in the super bowl, we should have just given the Lombardi to the Pats because they were the better team.

No need to play the World Cup next year, just put Spain, Germany, Brazil and Argentina in the semis

ghana is undefeated, but we know they aren't any good, because they play a bunch of shitty african teams. we'll let them play a meaningless game against france tho.

Ohio St should not be in for numerous reasons but most of which is because PSU was left out in basically same scenario last year so I just want consistency. Im sick of Bama but I'm sick of OSU too and I don't want to see a OSU Clemson rematch. I also don't think OSU is better than Bama. They should have lost to PSU, lost AT HOME by 15, lost by 31 AT Iowa. With OSU schedule Bama is 1 loss at most and I have a hard time believing Bama loses at home to OU. People don't get how bad the Big 10 was this year.

What sort of officiating errors prevented Penn State from getting the win against Ohio State? Unless you have some of those, the "should have lost" thing is bullshit. And the Iowa thing was just another in a series of letdown dominoes. It was really bad, but it was a letdown.

Obviously, Ohio State should not have been in the playoffs last year, but why should Bama, rather than Penn State, get a break this year as a result?

We once had objective means in place to determine a champion, but people freaked the hell out because it didn’t agree with their subjective measures.

I do hold wins against teams. I think its fair. To only win by one against PSU AT HOME coming off a bye tells me PSU wins that game on a neutral and at home.

You're understating your case. It wasn't just that they were coming off a bye; they were also facing a team off an emotional win over a team that kicked them when they were down last year.

Tough for Penn State .. TOSU heads up win, TOsU division win, TOSU conference championship, Tosu tougher SOS ,... about all PSU has over them is quality losses vs Iowa/oU

Central Florida, North Carolina A&T, and James Madison should be 1-3.

Who would you guys put at #4?

Hell no. I’m still having trouble dealing with the portion of our fan base who thinks LSU is a top 5 team and Orgeron is on the verge of winning multiple national championships in a short period of time.

We actually hung a banner a few weeks ago for only losing to Alabama by 14. It was an emotional ceremony.

Their SOS is on par with Alabama.
Wisconsin had to play a conference championship game while Bama sat at home.
So for winning their division, and then losing their championship game, Wisconsin is punished for having achieved the divisional championship. While Alabama, again with a similar SOS, is being rewarded for not achieving their divisional championship game.

Seems backward.
See, you make too much sense.

Their SOS is on par with Alabama.
Wisconsin had to play a conference championship game while Bama sat at home.
So for winning their division, and then losing their championship game, Wisconsin is punished for having achieved the divisional championship. While Alabama, again with a similar SOS, is being rewarded for not achieving their divisional championship game.

That's basically correct. And Bama didn't play Clemson or Georgia, so it's not clear that they should get the nod over Auburn. Between the two of them, it comes down to the old Bama/USC/ASU argument from 1978.

Just like Bamas defense was all hyped last year until they faced a real offense in Clemson, cavs?

Remember Chad Kelly? His Rebels were good for 43 points a game against Bama, win or lose, including last year.

big ten has been outscored 69-0 in the playoff the last two years.

Last year's Penn State team that OSU ws allowed to jump was 2 or 3 TDs better than the obviously mediocre Michigan State team that Ohio State was not allowed to jump in 2015.

All arguments aside...

I had Georgia beating Bama today...I am mad that game never took place.

This is fun though. The cliques of ctg is great.

By the way...I don't care who Auburn lost too...and do believe they are a very good team..they better not finish in the top 10 tomorrow...this team has 3 freaking losses...as someone said earlier...that has to count for something.

so you want bama in. you have no objective way to show that bama is better than ucf other than you think they would win.

No, it's simple to prove that Bama is "better" than UCF (whatever that means). What you can't do is prove that Bama would beat UCF.

You have again missed the point. We are saying there should be an objective means to determine a champion.

I'm the oddball. I don't think it's important to find a national champion. Moreover, the concept as stated here is contradictory. You want to name some team superior to something like 118 teams it didn't actually play.

Reactions: KJ
I'm sure gene Smith is going to keep things down the middle and on topic at the meeting

Only way he 'recuse's' himself is if he pulls a Costanza and leaves a briefcase in the room recording everyone

Barely been around last few weeks for this talk but the narrative after tonight is there is 5 teams/4 spots... Who decided that?(sarcasm, obviously). Two loss conference champion USC doesn't get a shake against 2 loss conference Champion Ohio state? The obvious factor of Bama avoided a loss today and a conference with 3 good teams and one solid team(that's it -- no messy state) is gonna get 2 berths? Simply tragic.

Reactions: KJ
I'll is the Urban Meyer logic from 2006. He campaigned his team in... Said you get one chance... And that's how it should be... It doesn't always work out that way though.

Barely been around last few weeks for this talk but the narrative after tonight is there is 5 teams/4 spots... Who decided that?(sarcasm, obviously). Two loss conference champion USC doesn't get a shake against 2 loss conference Champion Ohio state? The obvious factor of Bama avoided a loss today and a conference with 3 good teams and one solid team(that's it -- no messy state) is gonna get 2 berths? Simply tragic.

That's the joke

It was decided ahead of time this is ohio state or Bama

UCF, USC?

The PAC 12 and big 12 need to get that 8 team playoff going or they might be close to getting 1 playoff team every 3-4 years

Sec was horrific this year, how can it get 2 teams

ghana is undefeated, but we know they aren't any good, because they play a bunch of shitty african teams. we'll let them play a meaningless game against france tho.
In a round robin Ghana has a chance because they've taken out the knees of several key players on the other squads

Oklahoma lost at home to unranked team. no way they should be in over Bama who lost on road to Auburn.

Take out Clemson they lost to fckn Syracuse...

A loss against a non-competitor is not as bad as a loss against a team that's actually on your level. Because the ceiling is decisive. Bama didn't show one because they lost to three-loss non- conf champ

What sort of officiating errors prevented Penn State from getting the win against Ohio State? Unless you have some of those, the "should have lost" thing is bullshit. And the Iowa thing was just another in a series of letdown dominoes. It was really bad, but it was a letdown.

Obviously, Ohio State should not have been in the playoffs last year, but why should Bama, rather than Penn State, get a break this year as a result?

I have no idea what you are talking about. I never said officiating lead to a OSU win over PSU. PSU lead for 58 minutes and were up 11 with 5 minutes left and their coach went into a shell and they lost two very key players on each line early in the game. OSU off a BYE with two weeks to prepare for revenge had more gas in the tank against a PSU team playing a revenge game a week earlier against Michigan.

Go justify OSU getting blown out in a "let down" spot by 31 points on the road, but save it for your grandkids, I don't give a F, a top 4 team doesn't do that after getting blown out AT home to OU.

Finally, PSU should not be in over Bama simply because they lost at MSU. They win that game I would say PSU should go in. When we start saying they lost to so and so and shouldn't have AND they lost to.....you lose me. If not Bama Im putting UCF in.

By the way...I don't care who Auburn lost too...and do believe they are a very good team..they better not finish in the top 10 tomorrow...this team has 3 freaking losses...as someone said earlier...that has to count for something.

Yeah that was me and they put Auburn 7 which is a complete joke. I have less problems with the top four then I do with the rest of the rankings. Why Wisconsin who now truly beat really nobody and played every decent team at home and lost one game on neutral vs good team 6 is a joke too. UCF USC and Penn St should be ahead of Auburn and Wiscy.

With only 4 teams, someone always gets snubbed. No way around it.

Their whole argument in here would mean more if it was simply the playoffs need to be expanded to 8 teams. Which it should. 5 power champions, 1 non power and 2 at large. We will always have whining though in any scenario. But at least that gives conf champs to be in for sure so we understand the rule and gives the little guy the opportunity. Otherwise, this will continue to be an exercise in tomfoolery.

How about 6 instead. 5 conference champs. 1 at Large. 1 & 2 seeds get a bye.
8 may be a tad too many gms (I don't mind the extra gms but that could be an argument against 8 teams)

How about 6 instead. 5 conference champs. 1 at Large. 1 & 2 seeds get a bye.
8 may be a tad too many gms (I don't mind the extra gms but that could be an argument against 8 teams)

I think you need a couple besides the conf champs honestly.

Back