Chandler headed to OKC

Thunder near trade for Hornets’ Chandler

By Johnny Ludden and Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports 52 minutes ago

• <form method="post" action="http://buzz.yahoo.com/vote/" class="buzz" id="buzz-toolbar"> <input name="publisherurn" value="y_sports" type="hidden"> <input name="guid" value="urn:newsml:sports.yahoo,yhoo:20050301:nba,article,ys-chandlerthunder021709:1" type="hidden"> <input name=".done" value="/article/y_sports/urn:newsml:sports.yahoo,yhoo:20050301:nba,article,ys-chandlerthunder021709:1" type="hidden"> <input name="assettype" value="article" type="hidden"> <input name="votetype" value="1" type="hidden"> <input name="from" value="orion" type="hidden"> <input name="key" value="834c0" type="hidden"> <input name=".crumb" value="DiWmxRry.9/" type="hidden"> <button type="submit">Buzz up!</button> 10 votes </form> <script type="text/javascript">YAHOO.util.Event.addListener( window, "load", function() { setTimeout(function(){ new YAHOO.Media.Buzz("buzz-toolbar",{"sync":["buzz-tools"],"showCount":true,"countPosition":"after","fetchCount":false,"loggedIn":true}); }, 15); });</script>
  • Print

The Oklahoma City Thunder have completed a trade for New Orleans Hornets center Tyson Chandler, an NBA source said Tuesday.
The Hornets had been looking to trade Chandler, who has two more years worth $25.4 million left on his contract, for salary-cap relief. The Thunder give up forwards Chris Wilcox and Joe Smith and the draft rights to DeVon Hardin.

No draft pick involved?

They just added a longer story on espn.com that pretty much confirms OKC didn't have a draft pick involved in this deal.

ford pointed out its a deal that should be made

man...did they sour on Tyson big time...the whole reason why they regressed this year imo has to do with Ty not steppin up

Ty and Krstic...r gunning days over...OKC now....gulp...defensive minded?!?!? lol

Btw guys, doubt anyone plays for either side tonight. Physicals and whatnot, cannot see anyone being ready.

you'd have to think so. i mean unless they want to keep putting hilton armstrong out there. but what does this trade say about the new orleans franchise. there are already rumors floating around about them moving. Their owner is in serious financial trouble.

I'm shocked. I really thought Tyson was one of the main guys in this team. Cp3 will be really dissapointed hearing this.

So, we will never see those 2 doing their usuall alley-oop?

you'd have to think so. i mean unless they want to keep putting hilton armstrong out there. but what does this trade say about the new orleans franchise. there are already rumors floating around about them moving. Their owner is in serious financial trouble.

This has to be the case. Even though Tyson wasn't playing well this year, I didnt see a reason to move him just to move him.

Not Shinn (Hornets owner) that has financial trouble, it's the state. They cannot afford the Saints and Hornets essentially, so it's a matter of choosing.

Marlo its a straight salary dump. if they kept chandler next year their cap number would be up over 75 million. The cap is going to go down next year and they would have been about 8 mill over and with their owner in trouble there was no way he would want to pay the luxury tax.

This isn't just New Orleans. I think there are going to be moves all about money considering economy. Teams like Memphis and Sacramento are in trouble as well. I think we'll see atleast 2 teams relocate within 5 years. I even read something about contraction the other day and I never thought that would possibly happen.

contraction would be great .... when people like me point out that the teams of the eighties were vastly superior to what we see now .... we forget that expansion will always water down the league. i wouldnt mind actually seeing good teams play basketball again.

letting new orleans win tonight was part of the trade ....... please.

Marlo its a straight salary dump. if they kept chandler next year their cap number would be up over 75 million. The cap is going to go down next year and they would have been about 8 mill over and with their owner in trouble there was no way he would want to pay the luxury tax.

This isn't just New Orleans. I think there are going to be moves all about money considering economy. Teams like Memphis and Sacramento are in trouble as well. I think we'll see atleast 2 teams relocate within 5 years. I even read something about contraction the other day and I never thought that would possibly happen.

I almost want to start another topic on this later tonight when I have time...

Contraction would be awesome, get the playing level back to the heydey, it would be last thing Stern ever does though..

As far as teams in smaller markets...this opens up other cities to thrive. Your not going to see a lot of new arenas for awhile. Cities with empty buildings could reap the benefit. For example...

San Jose(Sac)
St Louis(Mem)
Even Seattle...

contraction would be great .... when people like me point out that the teams of the eighties were vastly superior to what we see now .... we forget that expansion will always water down the league. i wouldnt mind actually seeing good teams play basketball again.

letting new orleans win tonight was part of the trade ....... please.

Steal my thunder, eh?

But seriously, back when there was 23 teams, the league was great. You don't have a bunch of talentless players in the league. Now, there is not only more teams, but the they expanded the rosters.

I almost want to start another topic on this later tonight when I have time...

Contraction would be awesome, get the playing level back to the heydey, it would be last thing Stern ever does though..

As far as teams in smaller markets...this opens up other cities to thrive. Your not going to see a lot of new arenas for awhile. Cities with empty buildings could reap the benefit. For example...

San Jose(Sac)
St Louis(Mem)
Even Seattle...

San Antonio is dying for a NFL franchise. Hell, TX has enough money to support five teams in each professional league.

Obviously contraction would be great for the league but how many teams? I don't think you have to get rid of too many.

Steal my thunder, eh?

But seriously, back when there was 23 teams, the league was great. You don't have a bunch of talentless players in the league. Now, there is not only more teams, but the they expanded the rosters.

exactly.

celtics , sixers , lakers teams .... how far over the cap would you have to be to field those teams now.

look at celts starting lineup 1985

F Larry Bird
F Kevin McHale
C Robert Parish
G Dennis Johnson
G Danny Ainge

look at sixers in early eighties ...

Dr J
Moses Malone ( most dominant player in the league at the time .. he was winning mvp with julius on his team )
maurice cheeks
andrew toney
bobby jones ( great defensive player for those who dont know him .. had epilepsy too .. great story )

and lakers teams

jabbar
magic
worthy
byron scott
cooper
wilkes
cooper

these are sick sick sick teams.

I think one big point here is how this trade affects Cleveland or Boston.

Joe Smith was most likely going to get bought out before March 1st as sort of a good-will gesture by the franchise so he could latch onto a contender for the stretch run and playoffs. Well, the Hornets are somewhat a contender so that move doesn't happen now.

Chris Wilcox with CP3 is huge in this trade................. I think he has a break out 2nd h if they get it together.

3 NORTH CAROLINA BOYS ON THE SAME TEAM, IMAGING NOH TRADE FOR JOSH HOWARD............... LOL

Milwaukee will follow Minny. That franchise is mess. Herb Kohl has lost tens of millions over the past 10 years. Shittiest arena in the NBA and no way they get a new one. Would not be shocked if Milwaukee is the next franchise to go just like the Sonics did

Milwaukee will follow Minny. That franchise is mess. Herb Kohl has lost tens of millions over the past 10 years. Shittiest arena in the NBA and no way they get a new one. Would not be shocked if Milwaukee is the next franchise to go just like the Sonics did

You may be on target. Funny to think that Bradley is tied with The Palace as 4th oldest Gym in NBA...only 21 years old....

Yeah BAR I think we would have had a chance to build a new arena with public funding and taxes or whatever but the city is still pissed about Miller Park being built that way and no way that happens again. Kohl is getting his ass kicked right now but sooner or later he has to get rid of it and when he does the new owner will almost certainly get out of town

Hire Bill Simmons as your GM, and you avoid this.

we already over paid for other players, tyson actually has some value for some reason but no way we can trade peja or mo pete

This was to save money next year when CP3's new contract kicks in.

From what Ive heard the Hornets are a financial mess and the city isnt exactly rolling in the money.

This was to save money next year when CP3's new contract kicks in.

From what Ive heard the Hornets are a financial mess and the city isnt exactly rolling in the money.

I think I read somewhere that the state owed both the Saints and Hornets some cash.

Back