CFB Week 13 (11/18-11/22) News and Picks

QB Controversy Part 3: Clemson's Defense

from Garnet And Black Attack by Gamecock Man
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q3l6GM0DEr0" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">Popout
Fun memories of our last trip to Death Valley.
This post is the third installment in a series on our current QB controversy. Later this weekend I'll have a final post on my own opinion on who should start.
In an effort to consider which QB would be best against our hated rivals, let's take a short look at the Tigers' defense. This is a defense that has typically not performed well against the best competition: they gave up 34 points and 419 yards in their embarrassing loss to Alabama and 41 and 419 again to Florida State. Wake Forest also put up lots of yards against Clemson but didn't score as many points due to turnovers. In other games they've generally played well, but that probably has as much to do with playing in a league full of teams with solid defenses and terrible offenses as it does with actually having a great defense.
The Tigers' weakness appears to be a poor run defense. Bama and FSU both blasted Clemson for over 200 yards on the ground, as did Georgia Tech. Teams like Wake and NC State also had a bit of success running the ball against Clemson.
Does Clemson's weakness against the run mean that Spurrier should play Garcia and take advantage of the freshman's mobility? Perhaps, although it's hard to say. The teams that have had the most success running against Clemson are teams that use traditional offensive attacks and that have big, fast RBs and solid offensive lines. We don't have much data, on the other hand, for how mobile QBs have fared against Clemson. NC State's talented freshman Russell Wilson had some good runs against the Tigers, but he hardly lit up the stat line, compiling a total of 26 yards. Tech's Josh Nesbitt ran for over 70 yards, but Tech runs the triple option and thus cannot be considered representative.
My guess is that Spurrier might call some designed runs if Garcia plays but probably not much more than usual. Other than Tech, teams that have ran well against Clemson do it the old fashioned way, so you can expect Spurrier to put the ball in his RBs' hands and try to establish the run regardless of which QB plays the most. That said, if Clemson's defense favors either QB's style, I would say it favors Garcia's.

Senior Moment

from The Blue-Gray Sky by Pat
Tomorrow is Senior Day and the final game in Notre Dame Stadium for a number of players on the Fighting Irish team. Senior Day is always a bit of a bittersweet time as we get to both celebrate and say goodbye to the players who have spent the last four to five years representing Notre Dame football on the field.

I don't think I'll ever forget Senior Day against Army in 2006, watching Brady Quinn run off the field for the final time, pointing to the crowd as he made his way to the sideline. His class will always remain one of my favorites; not only for their play, but the great personalities and way they handled the tumultuous coaching change. I suspect I'm not alone in this regard.

Unfortunately, the current senior class doesn't have the star power of that class and already are being overshadowed by some of their underclassmen teammates. But this Saturday I hope all ND fans take a minute to realize the contributions this class made to Notre Dame football. No, there aren't any All-Americans or even many starters. But this is the class that was still deciding their college future when Notre Dame decided to part company with the head coach who had offered many of them scholarships. In his place came a largely unknown career assistant coach with basically no head coaching or recruiting experience. And despite not knowing what the future would hold for them, they still made their choice to come to Notre Dame. Charlie Weis summed it up nicely in his presser a few days ago.
I give the staff some credit, but I give those guys credit for coming on board when it was a very, I would say the situation was volatile and jumping on board and being part of the long term solution here.​
Consider that the class before and after this senior class has seen 14 different players transfer away so far. Yet in this class of Ty-recruited/Charlie-signed players, only 2 of the original 15 players (the 2 highest rated as it turns out) left the program and University. Most of these guys have been career backups, but they didn't seek out greener pastures and as Charlie said, have been instrumental in being part of the long term solution at Notre Dame. Take a guy like Kevin Washington for example.
So end of the day, you have a guy like Kevin Washington, Kevin Washington has been here for four years. Hardly has played at all. A little bit on special teams. I can tell you this year if we wanted to, we could make him the defensive show team player of the week every single week.

And what we do is we use guys like him as examples with our young linebackers and the other guys on defense. Fellows, this is the way it's supposed to be done. This is the way you practice. This is the tempo you practice at. This is how it's supposed to be important. And when a guy realizes that, hey, his time has come and gone as far as productive playing time. But rather than complain about their role, accept their role and do what they can do to help the team win, why of a lot of respect for players like that.​
Switching gears slightly, this senior class started their journey at Notre Dame just about the same time we started this little blog. Which of course now gives us the opportunity to go back to what we wrote then and chuckle. Yes, I did pick Kevin Washington as class sleeper. Scott Smith was another popular pick. No one picked David Bruton, not even the BGS writer who shares the same hometown. But we all did note the importance of bring in Duncan and Turkovich given the lack of OL recruits in the pipeline at the time. So at least we weren't completely useless in our predictions.

Back to the present, The Observer has a great spread of profiles on all of the seniors, be they 5th year or walk-on. They make for a great read as we await their final home for one group of players and see the other end of the process with the recruiting visits of Manti Te'o, Tyler Gaffney, and Bryon Moore.

Good luck in the future seniors, and thanks for everything.

Diana Kaufmann
<hr align="left"> <center>
ZctIPZ-1227205917.jpg

</center>

Thanks, TB. BAR and Jump are also on it. They haven't posted it though.

Made the line -9 and think Tennessee has just thrown in the towel. Only downside is whether Vandy blew their wad against Kentucky.

Adding:

NC State +12 (-110)

Kinda tailing VK on this one. I made it 10 and I hate betting the ACC. But in this rivalry game I'll take the dog. Home team has won and covered 4 of the last 5. But I'll take NC State who, since losing to USF, has covered all their games.

Adding:

LSU -3 (-110)

Just hoping LSU runs the ball every play and takes the ball out of their QB's hands.

Late adds are going 1-2 so far although LSU has a chance to cover and MSU still has a slight chance for a moose.

Shitty 1-3-1 week. Thank God for a small card. Probably will be the same thing the next two weeks.

Back