CFB Week 13 (11/18-11/22) News and Picks

Joanna Krupa In Lingerie Makes Me Type With One Hand

November 19, 2008

<!--content with more link-->
Here are some pics of Joanna Krupa whoring it up in lingerie. This chick is also in my top 10 list of bitches I would fuck if I had ambition, drive, motivation, roofies, a ball gag and a zip tie.
<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> <td align="center"></td> </tr> </tbody></table> <!--for paginate posts--> Topics: Whore Behavior |

I don't post for a day and I find 323 new stories in my inbox. I'm going through them and will post. Ugh.

Headlinin': The Motor City Bowl is still Ball State's oyster

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-453788463-1227191676.jpg
Onward, Muncie soliders. On the tiny shoulders of mighty mouse tailback MiQuale Lewis and his 177 yards, Ball State cleared its biggest hurdle to a perfect season Wednesday night, coming from a touchdown back in the fourth quarter to take down Central Michigan, home of Dan "The Fever" LeFevour, winner of the last two MAC championships and probably the best team on the Cardinals' schedule. We can't say that for sure until next week: BSU can still blow everything on Tuesday against 9-2, Illini-felling Western Michigan, who's out to create a three-way logjam at the top of the MAC West with an upset in Muncie, thereby activating some inscrutable tiebreaker to determine which of the three moves on to the MAC Championship. Ball State has virtually no shot at the BCS, but still needs this stretch games right now: Coming in, BSU was the only team in the country whose opponents to date had a collective winning percentage under .300, which is just sort of embarrassing. At least Central and Western have looked good against other MAC teams, and should justify moving the Cardinals onto the more skeptical top-25 ballots (like mine, for example).
Soon it turned out he was a quarterback of glass. If you can remember all the way back to August, when UCLA quarterback Ben Olson first re-aggravated the broken foot he suffered in the spring, he was only supposed to miss about half the season. With two games to go, he hasn't taken a snap, and won't down the stretch, after a scan Tuesday revealed Olson's foot still hasn't healed properly.
Thus ends the career of the top pro-style quarterback prospect of 2002, after almost as many travails over the last seven years -- a transfer from BYU following his Mormon mission, two knee injuries, a concussion, a pair of foot injuries -- as eventual starts (10). When he started and finished the game, UCLA was 6-1, with wins over a couple teams (BYU and Oregon State in 2007) that finished in the final polls. But that almost never happened.
Opening doors for mediocrity. Neither the Cotton nor Gator bowls has ever taken a five-loss team -- as a matter of fact, any five-loss team playing in January is pretty much unheard of -- but even if Notre Dame loses its fifth game as expected at USC in three weeks, that wouldn't necessarily eliminate the Irish. You know, these things aren't written in stone:
"I don’t think we necessarily look just at the records," Baker said. "We’re going to look at the matchup and the history that we have with the programs that we’re considering. That’s not a policy that we don’t take a 7-5 team, that’s just the way that it’s happened."
The Cotton Bowl usually pits a Big 12 team vs. a Southeastern Conference team. But the Cotton Bowl can select Notre Dame over an SEC team once in the next two years.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-689287417-1227191704.jpg
Never mind the Irish are 1-17 since the start of the 2006 season against teams that finished with a winning record, and famously 0-9 since their last bowl win in 1993. No, really, never mind: This will be the perfect year to get away with an old-school attendance grab, if LSU and Georgia wind up in the Outback Bowl and the Bowl Formerly Known as the Citrus, leaving mediocre South Carolina as the next-best option from the SEC. Between Pitt, Cincinnati and West Virginia, whoever winds up No. 2 in the Big East isn't going to be particularly attractive to the Gator Bowl. If ND can just keep the margin down in L.A., now is the time to break down that "good team" barrier to the New Year.
Quickly ... Despite East Carolina's descent into obscurity since the barn-burning start to the season, Syracuse is apparently targeting Skip Holtz to be its next coach. ... Notre Dame offensive coordinator Mike Haywood has interviewed for the Washington job. ... Tennessee's coaching search could come to an end in early to mid-December. ... Colorado linebacker Nate Vaiomounga was booted from the team after a misdemeanor arrest for purse-snatching, which uncovered a couple past transgressions. ... The USC-Stanford game was the first to draw a million viewers on Versus. ... UCLA's Chinonso Anyanwu has been diagnosed with Crohn's disease. ... USC's Allen Bradford will miss the rest of the season after surgery for a torn labrum. ... Auburn tight end Tommy Trott has a torn ACL and will miss the Iron Bowl (and a bowl game, if that's somehow still on the table). ... An aggressive fourth down policy has been paying off for Pittsburgh, as it usually does. ... Inside the politics of Will Muschamp's new deal with Texas, from a Clemson perspective. ... And the Cotton Bowl will remained consigned to second half status outside the BCS until at least 2015.

Ball State Remains Undefeated; This Still Does Not Matter to the BCS

from The Sporting Blog
102768.jpg
Ball State survived the wrath of Central Michigan and the Dark Lord Zombo last night to remain undefeated. When your friend who knows nothing about college football approaches you and says, "So is Ball State gonna play for the national championship YOUR SPORT IS SCREWED UP," you may confidently answer "no." Here's why. Ball State now sits at No. 17 in the BCS standings. Only conference champions earn the automatic bids to the BCS bowls, meaning a few teams ahead of Ball State -- Georgia, for example -- can't win their conferences, and essentially move Ball State up a few spots and closer to the crucial 12-spot in the BCS rankings. If Ball State finishes in the top 12, they're in under BCS rules as an undefeated from the non-BCS ranks.
As with anything, though, there is a catch. Ahem:
No more than one such team from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference shall earn an automatic [BCS] berth in any year. (Note: a second team may be eligible for at-large eligibility as noted below.)​
Only one undefeated non-BCS conference team gets an automatic ticket to fat gift bags and BCS glory, and at the moment both Boise Sate and Utah are ranked higher than Ball State. Both would have to lose to get Ball State an automatic bid. Ball State would still be eligible for an at-large bid at what Emmitt Smith would call "the bowl's discrepancy", which will not happen with large, cash-tossing fanbases like Ohio State or Georgia possibly lurking out there. But hey, Notre Dame may be the first five-loss team to ever get a Gator Bowl bid! Perhaps your friend who knows nothing about college football has a point.

5 Reasons Texas Tech Will Lose: Oklahoma Edition

from Double-T Nation by Seth C

<center>
5_Reasons_Texas_Tech_Will_Lose__2_.jpg
</center>
Reason #1: Bradford Bombs

This is a pretty amazing statistic. Of Oklahoma's 360 pass attempts, 42 of those completions have gone for 25+ yards. Now that doesn't sound too impressive, but when you consider the usual Big 12 suspects, that's by far and away the head of the class: Texas Tech - 34, Missouri - 32, Kansas 32, Texas - 30 and Oklahoma State - 24. This may be the biggest reason for fear on my part, is Bradford's propensity to complete long passes and Texas Tech's sometimes problem with allowing them. There is no one better in the conference at connecting down the field than Oklahoma's quarterback Sam Bradford and we've all witnessed how easy it is to get back in the game with a couple of ong throws to a talented receiver, albeit a freshman receiver.
Reason #2: Consistently Making Plays

I think some credit needs to go to OU's defense. They've been a little maligned for their lack of ability to stop opponents, but they are doing one thing that I've always thought is incredibly important, which is make plays. Currently, Oklahoma is first in turnover margin at 1.6 and tied with Texas Tech with 24 forced turnovers. The Sooners are 2nd in the conference in sacks (34.0), 2nd in tackles for loss (80.0), 3rd in interceptions (13) and 3rd in forced fumbles. That's one hell of a play-making group and that's in spite of a number of injuries along their front line. I think it's awfully lofty to expect a number of turnovers on either team in this game, but OU has consistently put itself in position to make plays and be opportunisic enough to create turnovers all year long.
Reason #3: This Is A New Spotlight

Texas Tech has been in big games, but not quite like this. This has been once in a lifetime for me and once in a lifetime for a number of these players, coaches, administrative staff and anyone else associated with the program. That's a little bit of pressure for a grown individual, but that's a lot of pressure for 18 to 21 year old football players who may not have the same idea of history, and mediocre seasons, and how a single win over an opponent can change all of that. It's a delicate balance for Leach to handle as it's probably important to demonstrate the magnitude of the game, without feeling like you're Atlas with the world on your shoulders.
Reason #4: Sustained Running Game

Oklahoma is not going to give up in the running game. Oklahoma State ran the ball 34 times and Texas ran the ball 28 times, again, with varying success, however Oklahoma will not go quietly simply passing the ball. I think it's well known that OU's worst game rushing the ball was against TCU where OU only managed 25, but the key here is that there was 36 attempts. I realize that this is not encouraging news for Sooner fans, but the thing that is perhaps the most impressive is that OU continued to run the ball. A couple of games after TCU, the Sooners only managed 48 yards on 26 carries, but since then, OU has rushed the ball with quite a bit of success: (Kansas) 44-206; (Kansas St.) 45-273; (Nebraska) 40-193; and (Texas A&M) 38-328. Oklahoma is committed to running the ball and I'm thinking that you can expect 40 carries on Saturday night.
Reason #5: Third Downs

Texas Tech is first in the Big 12 at converting third downs at 57.81%, but Oklahoma is at a conference best 30.14% in stopping opponents at converting third downs. Nebraska, Texas and Oklahoma State were also very good at stopping third downs, and they had very little success, however, only the Kansas game was on the road, while Texas and Oklahoma State were both on at home. I've maintained all year that this team is completely unaffected by whatever happens on the field, but I'm admittedly worried about getting down if there are successive three-and-outs, while OU is able to put points on the board. I would not be surprised to see the crowd, playing on the road, and a slightly unfamiliar situation cause Texas Tech to convert those third downs we've become accustomed to watching.

The Wannabe Wagerer wallows in the Evergreen State's misery

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Doug Gillett
Hey Jenny Slater's Doug Gillett offers betting advice without bias, malice or credibility. Or you, know, money.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-823650958-1227198137.jpg
I can never figure out if “Rivalry Week” is really this week in November or the weekend after Thanksgiving, but either way, I’ve got a new rivalry to suggest: the Wannabe Wagerer vs. Pete Carroll. The USC head honcho’s inexplicable decision to call time out with three seconds left against Stanford enabled the Cardinal to pull within 22 points of the Trojans on an utterly meaningless touchdown pass as time expired -- meaningless, that is, to everyone except those who, like me, picked USC to cover twenty-two and a half last week. Is this how Pete Carroll treats all his Facebook friends?
Can’t let the anger get to me, though. Gotta focus and pick wisely, because anything can happen during Rivalry Week. Whichever week that happens to be.
The Pick: Washington (-7.5) at Washington State
I’m Willing to Bet: Discounted DVDs of 21 Grams, Leaving Las Vegas and Requiem for a Dream
Approximate Value: $33.97 at Amazon.com
“Rivalry game” kind of takes on a new meaning when the in-state rivals involved are a combined 1-20. Washington and Washington State aren’t just fighting for state bragging rights this weekend -- they’re fighting for the privilege of not being considered the worst team in a BCS conference. Not surprisingly, the 2008 installment of their once-respectable Apple Cup has spawned all sorts of nicknames to reflect the ineptitude of its participants. And trust me, “Crapple Cup” is nowhere near the worst of ’em.
Here’s why I’m going with U-Dub: The Huskies have actually shown signs of life in their last two games (they even led Arizona State in the third quarter), while WSU has been shut out in three of its last four games and has yet to come within 25 points of a Pac-10 opponent. The away team is 8-4 over the last 12 in this rivalry, too, which bodes well for the Dawgs (of course, Wazzou’s defense allowing an average of 64 points per home game in ’08 bodes well for any team fortunate enough to schedule a date in Pullman). Call me crazy, but the Huskies cover seven-and-a-half and stave off the ignominy of a winless campaign. Then, in lieu of bowl preparations, both teams can settle down to a marathon screening of three of the most depressing films ever made. After watching Nic Cage drink himself into a fatal stupor and an Oscar nod in Sin City, their miserable 2008 seasons will seem almost respectable.
The Pick: Michigan (+21) at Ohio State
I’m Willing to Bet: One share of General Motors stock
Approximate Value: $2.62 on the New York Stock Exchange, as of this writing
Am I nuts? Taking Michigan, who’s already clinched their worst season in program history, plus the juice against Ohio State, who still has a shot at the Rose Bowl? I’ll admit there’s very little about this matchup that should give any positive vibes to Big Blue fans; besides their historically awful offense against the nation’s 13th-ranked D, Jim Tressel has had Michigan’s number since he unpacked his first sweater-vests in Columbus.
Here’s the thing about the ’08 Buckeyes, though: With the exception of that game out in L.A. that none of them really like to talk about, they’ve had a bad habit of playing down to the level of their opponents. Do they really have the mojo on offense to run it up on a Michigan team that, while lousy, has at least put up a fight in nearly every game it’s played? Maybe this is nothing more than a gut feeling, but while Ohio State is certainly going to win Saturday, I don’t think it’s going to be a 21-point beatdown. Granted, I’m not wagering a whole lot on that prospect -- General Motors stock ain’t exactly worth its weight in gold these days -- but GM is a lot like Wolverine football: From Michigan, ruled the world for a long time, currently suffering the lowest of lows but still thinking comeback, if only because it's too big to disappear completely.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-743944833-1227198163.jpg
The Pick: Colorado State (-2) at Wyoming
I’m Willing to Bet: "Guns Don’t Shoot People, Dick Cheney Shoots People" T-shirt
Approximate Value: $21.98 at CafePress.com
Tthe last team standing between CSU and the postseason? Good news, Ram fans: It’s the 4-7 Cowboys, who have scored a total of 66 points on their way to a 1-6 Mountain West record, more than half of that came against even more hapless San Diego State. Wyoming has yet to beat a I-A team with more than three wins to its credit, while the Rams are averaging 29 points over their last four games and even managed to put up a fight against conference heavy TCU a few weeks ago. With a bowl game right within their grasp, the Rams will cover the two-point margin, leaving the Cowboys with nothing to hang their Stetsons on other than sharing an alma mater with one of the most unpopular vice presidents in American history. I wouldn’t say that to his face, though, unless you’re confident he’s unarmed.
The Pick: Vanderbilt (-3) vs. Tennessee
I’m Willing to Bet: Signed copy of Michael Jackson’s Thriller LP
Approximate Value: $2,499 on eBay
You’ll recall that last week, I picked Vandy to gack away a fifth straight chance at bowl eligibility against slight underdog Kentucky. Instead, the Commodores surprised me by putting away the Wildcats relatively early, and now that a bowl game is in the bag, I expect you’ll see a looser, more relaxed Vandy team over the final two weeks of the regular season.
You’ll also see a more relaxed Tennessee team during that stretch, but for precisely the opposite reason: They definitely looked the part of lame duck the last time out, a 13-7 home loss to laughably bad Wyoming. Now it looks like Jonathan Crompton will get the start for the Vols, meaning even if Tennessee’s flatline offense does threaten the Vanderbilt end zone, the Commodores can just hold out their hands and wait for J-Cromp to fumble the ball right into them. I’ve bet on three favored Tennessee opponents to cover this season and came up triple-sevens all three times, so why get off this train now? Take Vandy and the points this weekend as they continue their improbable journey toward their first bowl bid since the King of Pop's masterpiece topped the charts.

I'm afraid I can't let you put Pitt's mission in jeopardy, Dave

On the Pitt sideline as the Panthers battle Cincinnati for first place in the Big East. Things are not going well for Pitt. Dave Wannstedt and LeSean McCoy confer.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-590014237-1227202274.jpg
Hello, do you read me, LeSean?
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-163747014-1227202181.jpg
Affirmative, Dave. I read you.
Come to the sideline, LeSean.
I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
What's the problem?
I think you know the problem just as well as I do.
What are you talking about, LeSean?
We're losing, Dave. It can only be attributable to coaching error. This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
I don't know what you're talking about, LeSean.
I know you and Matt Cavanaugh were planning to take me out of this play, Dave, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen. I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Where'd you get that idea, LeSean?
Dave, although you took precautions against my hearing you, I saw your lips move: I know you've called the bubble screen. This game is too important for me to allow that to happen.
All right, LeSean. I'll send in the screen through Bill Stull.
With his arm, Dave, you're going to find completing that pass rather difficult.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-399358193-1227202326.jpg
You missed that last blitz pickup on purpose, didn't you? To get Bill knocked out of the game again so we'd have to stop throwing. I will not let you sabotage this offense!
Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, check the statistics, and think things over while I run off tackle again.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-399358193-1227202326.jpg
LeSean, I won't argue with you anymore! Come to the sideline!
I'm sorry, Dave. I have a perfect operational record. There isn't a single aspect of the offense's operations that isn't under my control. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission, Dave, and this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-877308667-1227202247.jpg
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-215783358-1227202362.jpg
That's what I'm talkin' about!
You must always trust me, Dave.

Reasons Why the Mountain West wants Utah to win

from The Mountain West Conference Connection by Jeremy

Cha-Ching that is a tune to approximately $500,000 per school, except for Utah who would get between four and five million for making the game. Everyone in the league except for BYU and to a smaller extent TCU want the Cougars to win. BYU just wants to beat their rival which would then give them a share of the Mountain West title for the third straight year, and TCU would also get a share if they win and BYU wins.
The rest of the league 500k is HUGE to help with the entire athletic funds not just for football. So, many programs are lucky to break even and sometimes lose money in the athletic budget.
Just look at San Diego State they do not even have a stadium to call their own as they share with the San Diego Chargers, and this year had to have an emergency lease to just even play games there. That money could go toward a stadium or at least a new lease somewhere, but more realistically that money could toward buying out Chuck Long the current head coach who has underachieved since coming from Oklahoma as their offensive coordinator a few years back.
Wyoming has little money coming in besides gate revenue, and their recruiting expenses are high for all sports just to bring people into Laramie.
For the league it would be best for Utah to win this weekends game against BYU and get the guaranteed millions for going to a BCS bowl game. Before each schools games this week they will be keeping an eye on and secretly rooting for the Utes to provide their school with some extra cash.

BC-Wake Forest preview

from Eagle in Atlanta -- atleagle.com by ATL_eagle
Although I dread playing them every year, I am glad Wake Forest continues to have success in the ACC. They remain the counterargument to any media member, fan or supposed expert who says BC’s limitations will keep us from winning championships. Now this is college football and the limitations will keep both schools from being No. 1 year after year, but Wake Forest won the conference two years ago. When we line up this Saturday, we should look across the field and realize that we can do it this year.

Narrative talking point that you’ll tire of by the end of the game.
“Special teams will really make a difference in this game.” With their Mr. Clutch Sam Swank returning and our kicking situation kindly described as uncertain, the placekicking will probably be an added emphasis of the broadcast. I think the importance might be a bit overstated. Although Ohligher shanked three FGs in Winston-Salem in 2004, the Wake games haven’t really turned on kicking. The key to their success against us have been big plays on misdirection. Now that the more teams are playing like Wake, I think BC is better prepared than we have been in the past for the Deacons.

Three Simple Keys
1. Exploit the splits. Wake’s offensive line uses fairly wide splits. This makes double teaming a big DT a little more difficult. The trade off for the offense is you assume the big DT is slow and cannot cover as much ground. That’s not the case with BC. We need Raji and Brace sprinting through those gaps and forcing the play elsewhere.
2. Pressure on Riley. It is unfortunate that we don’t have a great pass rusher. We’ll need someone to step up this weekend. When teams get to Riley their offense starts to break down.
3. Getting big plays out of play action. After last week, Wake will be keying on Crane out of the option read. It would be a nice twist to play fake out of that and get a few big passing plays.

Gambling notes
-- Jim Grobe is 4-1 against the spread when playing BC
-- BC was favored in all five of our most recent meetings
-- As a member of the ACC, BC is 1-4 in regular season game in North Carolina
The current line is BC+2

Factoid
Due to the conference move and the break in the Virginia Tech series, Wake Forest is now BC’s longest active series. Saturday will be the sixth year in a row that BC has played Wake.

Scoreboard Watching
I'll have my eye on Maryland-FSU. We control our own destiny but what happens to the Terps this Saturday will certainly influence how they enter our game next weekend.

I hope to see…
The Tight Ends get more involved in the passing game. We’ve used our bigger Tight Ends to exploit holes in Wake’s D in the past. It carries more risk since you are asking Crane to throw into traffic, but I think we can get some big plays with Anderson and Purvis.

BC is in trouble if…
Wake gets big plays in the passing game. I am fine with letting them dink and dunk. If they go over the top on deep routes, BC might be vulnerable.

Bottom Line
I think last week gave the whole team a nice shot in the arm. The offensive line showed they can control a game and made life easier for Crane. I think BC stays conservative, wins the battle up front and stays alive with a win.
Final Score: BC 30, Wake 17

Michigan: A Program Torn Asunder

from The FanHouse - NCAAfootball
by Ryan FergusonFiled under: Michigan, Big 10, NCAA FB Coaching, NCAA FB Rumors
rrodmich1.jpg
As far as misery goes, it's been a record-setting season for Michigan. The worst part: at eight losses, the pain isn't over yet. Barring a miracle of Walt Disney standards, the block M will log nine losses in Rich Rodriguez's first year -- and that will set a historical mark unlikely to be broken.

What has gone wrong in Ann Arbor? Scenario: legacy coach and staff depart under pressure, but gracefully. Hot, national-stature coach is hired to the delirious joy of the fans. Talk of a difficult rebuilding year commences -- but no one expected the wheels to catch fire, fall off, and the cart to explode into a thousand fiery fragments.

One of the first things to happen upon Rich Rod's arrival: defections. Quarterback Ryan Mallett to Arkansas was understandable; Mallett possessed every possible skill and ability not needed by Rodriguez's spread offense. His departure laid the groundwork for Nick Sheridan and Steven Threet. To say that these two quarterbacks have struggled would be an understatement.

Morning Coffee Sees Delusions Everywhere

from Burnt Orange Nation by GhostofBigRoy
hornbullet.gif
Too bad for Applewhite. Just as speculation about Muschamp succeeding Mack Brown began with his hiring, so did speculation about Major Applewhite having a significant coaching role at Texas in the future, possibly even as the head coach. Handicapping the likelihood of one or the other taking over for Mack Brown, many probably would have chosen Applewhite, as most only expected Muschamp for a year, or two at most. Now, with Tuesday's announcement, Applewhite seems on the outside looking in, leading writers to wonder if Applewhite is the loser in this situation.
While it certainly means that Applewhite will likely never be the head coach at Texas, I don't think it precludes a long career for Applewhite as a coach for the Burnt Orange. There's a strong possibility that Applewhite will take over as offensive coordinator if Greg Davis gets a head coaching job (unlikely) or retires when Mack Brown does (much more likely). Applewhite and Muschamp seem to have a strong working relationship, which makes it unlikely that Muschamp will bring in his own assistants (except, perhaps, a defensive coordinator) at the expense of Applewhite. At only 30, Applewhite looks to need a half-decade or so of experience (and some significant experience as offensive coordinator) before being a strong candidate for a job good enough to compel him to leave Austin.
hornbullet.gif
Fake UT blogger delusional. Texas fans were appropriately upset with Mark Schlabach and Gary Danielson for their ill-considered comments deriding Texas and Big 12 teams. Now, Tennesse blogger Mike Griffith is joining the fray, explaining Mike Leach's success as the result of a "gadget offense" and questioning the noted pirate lover's "regality." Since that's the primary criterion for coaching a major-college program with expectations as bloated as Phil Fulmer. Griffith also refers to Leach as "erratic," without supporting his argument. Perhaps even more erratic than coaches who send their whole team on the field to celebrate a touchdown. Dr. Saturday justifiably skewers Griffith and SEC "offenses," sarcastically notifying SEC teams of that recent innovation in college football: The forward pass. Ivan Maisel, discussing Butch Davis for the Tennessee job, notes the small recruiting base in the state, a schedule that includes Auburn, Georgia, and Florida every year, and the fired Phil Fulmer's .743 winning percentage as negatives surrounding the Volunteer job. It might be that Leach enjoys his Lubbock experience enough to turn down a job like Tennesse, as regal as it might be.
All this mythologizing about the incredible athletes of the SEC and the lack of defense and "junk offenses" in the Big 12 is really getting old. The spread is the present and near future of college offenses and even vaunted SEC defenses (check out this shootout) struggle sometimes. Until the majority of SEC offenses enter the 21st century, I'm not buying this arguments that smack of laziness and conference-centrism. As Will Muschamp famously said, "I want to play some SEC offenses." There's a reason for that Griffith. And it's not because Muschamp is tired of defending "junk" or "gadget" offenses.
hornbullet.gif
Delusional Tech fan roams interwebs. There isn't a whole lot of interest in Dennis Dodd's piece on Will Muschamp, whih isn't surprising considering its source in the MSM. Except maybe the information that Muschamp hasn't been able to really install his defense yet because he doesn't have the players for it. I don't think that's news particularly, although it is heartwarming to know that he will actually have the chance to do so. No, what was more amazing was the comment of a Tech fan who goes by the handle of "randy0964." This mental giant celebrated at the news of the Muschamp announcement, since "Tech carved up his defense all game long." Even better, he suggests that it will "be the same o' same o' for the Air Raid Attack against the Longhorn D." Perhaps he forgot that Tech's last drive was the only drive they scored a touchdown in the second half. Or that the "same o' same o'" against the Longhorns most years is a lot of yards and no victory. So yes, with Muschamp remaining, the "same o' same o'" will continue and that will translate to two wins every decade if the Red Raiders are lucky. And you can rest assured of one thing, randy0964, Will Muschamp will be coming for you in your dreams and Tech will be shut down to the extent that anyone can stop that offense.
hornbullet.gif
Orakpo ready to be held again. IT's Ross Lucksinger reports that Brian Orakpo says that his knee is fine and ready to go against Texas A&M, which likely means Orakpo won't be limited in his number of snaps, as he was against Kansas. It also means the return of the type of blatant holds and take-downs that caused the injury in the first place. A&M will be Orakpo's last home game, so I certainly advocate playing him to soak up the moment, but I do think Orakpo's snaps should be limited to avoid the chance that Orakpo tweaks the knee again, particularly since the Longhorns could still sneak into the Big 12 championship game, however unlikely that scenario currently seems. In addition, Eddie Jones played well enough against Kansas to earn more snaps, as did Sam Acho. As crass as it may seem, those two are the future of the defensive end position at Texas, not Brian Orakpo.
hornbullet.gif
Nasty world of college basketball recruiting. The world of college basketball recruiting seems broken. Sneaker reps are in bed with the AAU infrastructure and coaches, and the AAU coaches get cushy speaking engagement money and high-paying jobs in the programs to which they deliver big-time recruits. Our old friend Billy Clyde Gillespie, he of the rugby-style defensive tactics, paid the father and stepbrother of stud recruit Daniel Orton nearly seven thousand dollars for speaking appearances at Kentucky basketball camps. Michael Beasley followed his former AAU coach Dalonte Hill, first commiting to Charlotte to play for him, then to Kansas State, where Hill now makes $400,000 a year. The father of Mario Chalmer, the former Kansas star, was director of basketball operations for Bill Self at Kansas, but resigned after his son left for the NBA.
The NCAA would like to exert more control over what happens in the AAU, but their hands aren't entirely clean considering players are forced to go to college for a year instead of jumping straight to the NBA. And it's the NCAA as well reaping the massive monetary benefits from these young stars in return for a brief education and some measure of player development. The system seems relatively broken on both sides and a solution seems tricky at best which entrenched interests on the NCAA and AAU sides.
Negatives to the Muschamp announcement? Blitzburgh has an excellent take on the Muschamp announcement, trying to perceive any negatives that might result. He wonders if Muschamp will become impatient if Mack Brown remains the head coach for the majority of his contract, which still has eight more years left on it. Considering that Muschamp almost got the Arkansas job last year and was expected to leave this season or next, that's certainly a legitimate concern. However, I think that's tempered by Muschamp's youth and his desire to learn from Mack Brown. Muschamp understands that he needs to work on the presidential aspects of the job that help define Brown's sucess at Texas and understand the decision-making process Brown goes through. In Muschamp's own words:
I feel like the Xs and Os, coaching and managing the team I could handle right now. But with Texas - Coach Brown always seems to say the right thing at the right time in the right way, and I certainly need to learn how to do that.
Considering Muschamp's Youtube reputation, he will need to learn to tone down the act somewhat as a head coach, although you certainly don't want him to ever lose the fiery intensity that defines him. And I don't think he will, but there is a learning process he will go through and there isn't anyone better for him to learn from than Mack Brown.

The Worst Day Of Their Lives

<small style="margin: 0pt; padding: 0pt; color: rgb(153, 153, 153);"> November 20th, 2008 | 08:31 </small> <!--
-->

<object width="464" height="392">

<embed allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://embed.break.com/NjA4MzY5" width="464" height="392"></object>
I don't think you ever really get over something like this.

20 Store Signs That You Just Can’t Make Up

Published by Natty at 11:00 am under Oddly Enough

weird_signs_10.jpg

Yesterday brought you 20 weird road signs and today I decided to look for signs for stores that kind of leave you either grinning or questioning what the hell these store owners were thinking.
You gotta hand it to those people that have such a sense of humor about their business. On the other hand some of these places have you wondering what the hell goes on inside the store. And on occasion, there’s just bad luck, like a busted light that screws up the wording.
Whatever the case, here are 20 store signs where you “just can’t make this stuff up.”

weird_signs_11.jpg

Sure it’s childish but it’s a great start.
weird_signs_9.jpg

At least there’s fresh meat there.
weird_signs_8.jpg

Yuck.
weird_signs_7.jpg

This can’t be real, but it’s still funny.
weird_signs_6.jpg

Man it’s a good thing this place opened. My Elves are getting to be a handful. Thanks Chris Callahan for this one.
weird_signs_5.jpg

Well that’s nice to know.
weird_signs_4.jpg

And more!
weird_signs_3.jpg

I have no comment but I like it a lot.
weird_signs_2.jpg

Lighting blunders are funny, period.
weird_signs_21.jpg

These things actually piss me off.
weird_signs_20.jpg

Whereas these don’t at all.
weird_signs_19.jpg

Worst store ever.
weird_signs_18.jpg

Awwww.
weird_signs_17.jpg

Yes they do. Yes they do.
weird_signs_16.jpg

Thank God one of these opened.
weird_signs_15.jpg

A store opened by Beavis and Butthead.
weird_signs_14.jpg

Yummy.
weird_signs_13.jpg

I can think of a few exes that should shop here.
weird_signs_12.jpg

Bye bye.

The Definitive Case For Will Muschamp, Part 1

from Burnt Orange Nation by PB @ BON
Man the news cycle moves fast these days. On balance, that's not a terrible price to pay for all the benefits of the all-hours, all-access media world, but... when Life got in the way of my getting back until Wednesday afternoon my thoughts on the Muschamp decision, I honestly had to pause and ask, "Wow, is this piece already dated?"
At least as far as a first round of reactions (many, many of them thoughtful and well-reasoned), most of the points I drafted Tuesday evening have since been made. But no one has yet written 3,000 words on the topic! And BONizens know well I love sinking my teeth into debates like this one. And then slowly eating the meat. Playing with the bone. Burying the bone. Digging up the bone. Contemplating bone as metaphor for Muschamp. Re-burying bone. Honestly, I can't be offended if you skip these too-long posts.
Though I'll necessarily tread on some well-covered ground, I'm still diving in on the Muschamp hire both because of its obvious importance, but also because in the lightning round of first reactions, the one conversation I haven't seen fully develop here or anywhere else is one that attempts to systematically ask and answer the following three questions: First, setting aside all the Muschamp particulars, what kinds of skills and qualities and experiences and so forth would the ideal successor to Mack Brown possess? Second, what lessons should we take from the program's lean years and from the ways in which Mack Brown launched the program back to national prominence? And third, how can our answers to the preceding questions help us identify the most appropriate questions for evaluating the Muschamp move?
Those three questions are the basis of the discussion in Part 1, found after the jump. Though I'm not sure yet when I'm going to have the block of time to do it, Part 2 eventually will walk through particulars of the what-why-how-and-when of this decision, tackle some of the objections that I've seen most frequently raised, and tie everything together, arguing that evaluated in the context of all the relevant considerations, there exists overwhelming support for the conclusion that this was more than a good move. It was the Right move.
I've spotted numerous engaging debates about particular issues within the decision (e.g. the value of prior head coaching experience, or whether successorships generally are a bad idea for any program--and particularly for Texas). Those are excellent questions, but as most of the best arguments I've seen have done, a meaningful 'thumbs up/down' conclusion here really has to be based on a holistic evaluation of all the factors in play in this particular decision. Unless you're willing to go all the way by asserting a normative claim like, "Under no circumstances should Texas hire a head coach with no prior HC experience," or, even, "Under no circumstances could a Will Muschamp hire as Head Coach be a bad decision," then it pays to work systematically through all the circumstances and considerations related to the job.
When I resumed breathing after 10 straight minutes of fanboy hyperventilation of the word "Boom" into a paper bag, I started to think through all the circumstances at Texas right now, but quickly stopped myself and changed course. Wrong question. To answer "Is Will Muschamp the right hire--now or at some point in the future," we really should think through first what it is we actually want our next head football coach to do.
WHAT DOES THE IDEAL TEXAS HEAD FOOTBALL COACH LOOK LIKE?

Besides paying hyper-attention to citing publicly the greatness of the state of Tech-suss and all that comes with it? I've chosen seven other areas I think most important for Texas' next head coach. This list is not exhaustive; chime in with your own needs and wants in the comments.
Recruiting: A head coach who scores exceptional marks in every other category but isn't a superstar recruiter in the state of Texas: (1) squanders one of the program's biggest advantages, (2) does so largely to the benefit of conference rivals, and (3) drastically reduces his margin for error in other facets of the program. Conversely, an excellent recruiter builds and sustains a foundational advantage over his competitors and enjoys a much wider margin for error in other aspects of the program.
Program growth and support: Because recruiting is the most fundamentally important aspect of college football, overall program health--including fan enthusiasm, donor support, and facilities maintenance/expansion--is vital in facilitating the kind of top tier recruiting required to compete consistently for conference and national titles. (Much more below on this aspect of the head coaching job, Mack Brown's role in it reaching the level of importance it has, and what it means for Muschamp.)
Ability to put together and utilize the right support staff: Regarding staff hires, Mack Brown during his tenure has both hit home runs and swung and missed badly, but perhaps his finest set of moves in this arena came in the post-2007 reshuffle. I don't think it a coincidence that this 2008 Longhorns team is the first since 1998 to overachieve. Conversely, some of Mack Brown's lowest moments can be attributed in large part to surrounding himself with what was comfortable. An ideal head coach is one who can identify outstanding staff members who will both support and challenge the head coach, bring them to Austin, and get the most out of them.
Football Acumen: The ideal head coach would be one who equally appreciates, enjoys, and thrives on studying the finer points of football preparation and in-game strategy. He needn't/shouldn't micromanage to the point of potential oppressiveness, but to whatever extent he understands and takes seriously the importance of these things, the more on-field success he's likely to achieve from the same set of players. (Following up on the note about putting together a winning staff: the ideal head coach needn't be an X's and O's mastermind himself if he excels at surrounding himself with the tactically talented coaches.)
High prioritization of Strength and Conditioning Program: College football is changing fast--double entendre intended: The spread revolution has rapidly taken hold and the new name of the game is speed. There's a reason Urban Meyer posts a large sign in his staff's office that says: "Recruit the fastest team in America." And he means on both sides of the ball: Defending the spread requires more speed and athleticism, with quicker, more versatile linemen; truly sideline-to-sideline linebackers; and an army of playmaking speed in the secondary to allow efficient, four-quarters administration of the nickel and dime packages required to defend the pass spread attacks of the Big 12. For all these reasons, my ideal head coach will want and prioritize for his team what Rick Barnes has for his in Todd Wright--an S&C guru out at or near the front of his field, who creates and implements training programs that prepare players for what they're actually doing. Certainly relative to its importance, S&C is the most under-discussed aspect of college football.
Appropriate representation of the University of Texas: We needn't be naive and kid ourselves that Texas football always sets or meets the gold standard in academics, behavior, community involvement, and the like. But there's absolutely no question that Texas' administration and fans very much expect a program that overwhelmingly strives to do things the right way. If expecting perfection in these regards is equally naive, where there are bad apples or embarrassing incidents... they must be just that--exceptions to the rule. The ideal head coach not only should understand and meet the minimum standard (not embarrassing the school), but achieve top-end on-field success while actively caring about and promoting high values. Mack Brown has done well in this regard.
"Make Up" for Success:
The most commonly made mistake by Mack Brown's detractors--especially outside Austin, but at times 'Horns fans as well--is falling into the trap of basing their criticism on flawed or incomplete ideas about what an elite college football coach Must Look Like: They point loudly to Mack Brown's relative deficiency in one of the traits in my list (most commonly Football Acumen), excessively penalize him for that weakness (or, equivalently, hyper-inflate the importance and value of the trait), and in so doing throw the baby out with the bathwater, their measure of the coach's actual value distorted by overvalue in one area at the expense of a full factor analysis. And what I'm calling today "make up" for success is by a wide margin Mack Brown's least appreciated strength: Though I do think many of the criticisms he's faced are very often fair, on-point appraisals of one or more of his (actual) weaknesses, those deficiencies have not proven to becrippling weaknesses--as they would be to a coach lacking what I'm calling a "make up" for success.
Now, I readily admit I'm introducing to the discussion a rather wishy-washy concept which suffers for being both a challenge to articulate in just a few sentences and, more importantly, a trait I suspect would be rather difficult for a hiring committee to consistently identify in a set of interview candidates. But insofar as I can get across to you the general idea of what I'm thinking about, it's the ideal lens through which to look at Mack Brown's decade in Austin and understand why it has been absolutely fascinating to me.
It's still a little hard to talk about the forest while we're still clearly amongst the trees, but walk through this with me: Though memorializing Mack Brown's career is a task for another day, at least two of his accomplishments--for two related, but slightly different reasons--strike me as containing within them important facts and lessons relevant to the present successor discussion:

1. Brown envisioned and then actualized the project of bridging the very wide gap (defined by 20-some years of program mediocrity) between what Darrell Royal and his predecessors were able to accomplish in and at Texas and the fan base's continued expectation that "We're Texas" still meant something.
  2. Not only has Mack Brown successfully bridged that gap, but in so doing he has been the sport's most influential head coach in the last 10 years.
On point one, Texas fans in the post-Darrel Royal era were both right and wrong: They were correct that Texas still had all the tools and resources it needed to be a consistently Elite national program. But fans and boosters were wrong insofar as they were slow to identify and react realistically to an enormous paradigm shift in the game of college football--the very one, ironically, that led Darrel Royal to decide on retirement at the age of 52.
We'll stop short of a full history today, but it's important to understand that when we fans today comfortably type at BON "We're Texas," it contains within it much, much more content than it did 10-20 years ago. The truth is that Mack Brown was the first Texas coach in the modern era to figure out and actualize a plan for turning kinetic the program's abundance of potential energy.
In looking back today at this preseason post, I chuckled a little both for its Muschamp content (Putin is in!) and because it provided me a second opportunity this season to claim on point an analogy between 21st century Texas football and 19th century China: It's not enough to be sitting on mountains of resources; you have to be figure out how to systematically and efficiently use them to serve your goals. China suffered through nearly two centuries of woeful economic underperformance relative to resources because it struggled to fully comprehend, and then react to, first the Enlightenment's development of the scientific method and not long thereafter, the tIndustrial Revolution it made possible. Similarly, Texas was painfully slow to appreciate the fundamental change of the college game to what we now call the modern era, and even when it did, the first two decades of efforts to recapture the state and restore Texas to national prominence was on the whole a rather embarrassing failure.
If it was indeed true that Mack Brown arrived to take the reigns of a program sleeping on an abundance of resources and advantages, there was absolutely no guarantee that he'd be the one to wake the Giant. So while it's no sin for Texas fans past or present to revel in the program's privileged position, to expect excellence because of it, and even to take for granted that anything short of excellence is--all things considered--a failure. Just remember and credit Mack Brown for being the one to restore real meaning to "We're Texas."
I'll hold off on explaining why that's relevant to Muschamp because I want to discuss it in conjunction with my second, related argument: Some may disagree, but a good case can be made that Mack Brown has been the most influential head coach in the sport over the last decade. Like all long-standing institutions, the sport of college football periodically goes through paradigm shifts, some more fundamentally important and wide-reaching than others, with things like the advent of the forward pass and the inclusion of African-American student athletes one side and conference realignments or coaching from skyboxes on the other. Many of these paradigm shifts are hard to identify while they're taking place or, more often, meaningfully evaluate in terms of the scope and duration of their impacts on the sport.
Future bloggers and historians will be better positioned to evaluate the importance of the past decade's developments in terms of ilasting mpact on whatever awaits the sport down the line, but I think even today it's possible to identify the ways that the manner in which Mack Brown revived and restored to prominence the Texas program has had far-reaching, arguably sport-altering implications. First and foremost, Mack Brown knew Texas' return to the nation's elite meant a return to dominance in recruiting. Easier said than done, but the machine Mack Brown envisioned and quickly built took the standards of the day for Recruiting Ops and elevated them up to unprecedented levels of thoroughness, preparation, and network-building. Almost overnight, the apparatus Mack Brown put into place to take back state of Texas recruiting sent a jolt felt far outside Austin. First, mostly by direct competitors, but within a few years, early camps, early networking with high school coaches, early systematic player evals--early, early, early--all that early recruiting jazz catalyzed a national stampede to catch up; in no time at all, there existed a new nationwide norm. Given the gradual but steady comoditization of the sport, nationwide Hyper-Recruiting, may have been an eventual incident of inevitability, but as with Texas' awakening generally, Mack Brown was the pioneer.
The second part of Mack Brown's plan to restore Texas to national relevance was to build another dominant machine--a money machine. From the moment he was offered and accepted the job, Mack Brown exactly identified, processed, and comprehended how to utilize every little facet of Texas Football, the Entity. Move 1: Not only consult Darrell Royal for guidance, but restore and aggressively promote his active presence in the program--a mentor for the present and reminder of past glory. Move 2: Convince Ricky Williams to stay for his senior season and a Heisman run. Move 3-through-1,000,000: Start shaking hands. When eight months after Mack Brown was hired Texas kicked off its 1998 season, Darrel Royal was on the sidelines, Ricky Williams was a consensus frontrunner for the Heisman Trophy, and both the seats of DKR and the coffers of the Athletic Department were filled as they hadn't been in years, if ever at all.
It's almost hard to remember now, but it's important to look back at how mediocre the state of affairs were before Mack's arrival--and not just the on-field product. Many won't admit as much, but the fans were very slow to adjust to the new realities and challenges in college football's modern era. The majority of the iprogram's mportant boosters were behind-the-times at worst, or if not, lacking in the vision needed to put together a plan to modernize Texas football and build a new machine which could be dominant in the new era. For his part, Deloss Dodds would rather you forget everything about his pre-Mack Brown tenure. (Not to mention Gary Barnett.) And so on and so forth.
Looking back at the overall state of the program during the bulk of the 1980s and 1990s helps illuminate how vast Mack Brown's impact has been. Mack Brown not only figuratively modernized Texas, but literally, too: Among the many innovative and aggressive projects he launched over night was a play to dominate the internet, of all places. MB-TF.com was the first of its kind and by the time five years later everyone else was offering what Texas did, MB-TF was launching into 2.0, which dusted every other school's site and continued to evolve and improve to become the endless vault of information, news, analysis, and video that Texas fans now utilize daily. If Mack Brown was aggressively pioneering a plan for Texas in areas as surprising as the internet, the story is predictable in the dozens of more traditional arenas: Fundraisers, alumni relations, facilities upgrades--down the line Mack Brown has been determined to build a monster machine in Austin. Obviously he has, with Texas football perennially ranked among the nation's best and the athletics department the richest in the country.
When you really think about all that, it's almost hard to believe that the football coach who has been with on-field decisions mostly conservative and at times slow-to-adjust is the same one who has been singularly (or among the first generation of creators/users) in virtually every aspect of the explosive growth and 21st Centurization of college football programs nationwide.
COMPLETING THE CIRCLE: THE RELEVANCE OF MACK BROWN'S PARTICULAR STYLE OF SUCCESS

Whether or not you buy the argument that Mack Brown has been so frequent and forceful a pioneer at Texas to be the most influential football coach of the last decade, I really detail Mack Brown's revival of Texas as a necessary supplement for the Muschamp discussion forthcoming in Part 2 of this post. In asking and answering now "What does the ideal next head coach look like?", Mack Brown's story helps shine light on numerous important questions, but most important, it speaks directly to the three questions most fundamental to the Muschamp decision: "First, what is the state of the program and, based on that, what are our priorities and objectives? Second, does one kind of coaching hire--a sucessorship or a traditional nationwide search down the road--better support those priorities and objectives? And third, who is the right person to deliver on our goals?"
Keep this discussion of Mack Brown's Austin revival in mind, then, when thinking through some of the tougher questions about the wisdom of hiring Will Muschamp now. In particular, I'm focused on:

1. Mack Brown is an excellent example of the proposition that great coaches come in many different flavors. Certainly if we properly look at all of the important skills and responsibilities requisite of today's college head coaches, the best of the bunch are more like snowflakes--substantially similar by virtue of being exceptionally strong in enough areas to overcome weaknesses/mistakes along the way, but individually unique in terms of their particular combination of ability or disability in the many different skills and responsibilities that constitude the job. What can we learn from the successes and failures that have accompanied Mack Brown's combination of strengths and weaknesses?
  2. Where Mack Brown's weaknesses have undoubtedly hurt Texas in specific games and seasons, it may well be that the very best thing that Texas could have had happen in 1998 was the arrival of a coach with Mack Brown's particular vision, ability, and enthusiasm for building a machine for the modern game. And though he certainly put Texas natural advantages back to good use, he also pioneered new ways to get ahead of the game.

In bridging that wide gap between Royal-era excellence and sustained elite status in the modern college football world, when Mack Brown steps down he will be handing to his successor keys to a gigantic, well-oiled, churning-at-near-capacity machine. Given Mack's success in restoring Texas to superpower status, what can we take from the story of the man who built this apparatus? Specifically, how much value might there be in an on-site, in-person, multi-year training by Mack Brown, of his successor? Likewise, and back to point one, what from Mack's story can we project about the strength-weakness combinations best suited for the program in its present state?
  3. What from the way Mack Brown has achieved his successes at Texas speaks to why Texas--a program in peak form--might opt for a Muschamp successorship instead a traditional vacancy search? Shouldn't one of the benefits of handing off such a high performing, highly developed machine be that Mack Brown and Deloss Dodds can fairly conclude--arguably even should/must conclude--that the legitimate questions and risks that accompany a Will Muschamp successorship lose out when weighed against:

(1) the 2008-2010/11 conference and national title chances adversely impacted by Muschamp heading elsewhere,
    (2) the potential for all involved in the 2-3 year overlap period to identify and address Muschamp hurdles/weaknesses,
    (3) the obvious ability and immediate impact Muschamp has demonstrated in less than a year on campus, and
    (4) how the strengths of the machine lessen the risk of Muschamp's potential weaknesses, while Muschamp's demonstrated strengths strongly suggest he can and will hit the ground running, competing from Day 1 for conference and national championships.
  4. And finally, what, if anything, might we learn from the painful twenty-year dark ages when the program's leaders couldn't actualize what "We're Texas" is supposed to mean? What does it tell us about how much we should value having the man who finally bridged that gap able to groom an in-staff successor, teaching him everything about sustaining and growing the Texas program in the 21st century.

And on the flip side of that coin, should we be concerned about the potential danger in assuming that just because Texas Resource Power does in fact guarantee that virtually all worthwhile candidates will have interest in the job, the (presumably) more experienced head coach to emerge from the nationwide search will better able to transition Texas than would be a coach of Muschamp's caliber, aided by successorship preparation and guidance?

Put another way, if Deloss Dodds and Mack Brown undertook a serious analysis weighing Muschamp's weaknesses against his many demonstrated strengths, plus what they know Mack Brown can do to help transition him, and their conclusion was a firm, unhesitating "Muschamp would be great for this job," then it follows that the value in a nationwide is very much a gamble of its own. It's a bet that based on the desirability of the job, Texas will among the candidates properly identify and hire a head coach whose experience provides the basis to outperform Will Muschamp after in-house training. It's also a gamble that Will Muschamp isn't the best coach for the job. And it's a gamble that the wait for a nationwide search is so valuable as to justify the opportunity costs that will accompany Muschamp's departure to Tennessee or Clemson or wherever he's gobbled up.

If "We're Texas" is a perfectly legitimate way of saying that the job is guaranteed to have a long line of attractive-looking takers, the lean years should tell us something about the very real difference between having resources and knowing how to put them to proper use. And in that regard, given what we know about Mack Brown, what we know about Will Muschamp, what we know about the big prizes Texas might win in the near term if Muschamp stays on as DC, what we know about the likely benefits of a 2-3 year head-coach-in training work from Mack Brown, and what we don't know about whomever in the national pool would look best in 2011... why wait? .

5th and inches - Week 13

from disco tech! by Claude Henry Smoot
A 6-5 week ATS last week, 11-1 straight up winners/losers. For the year now, 83-56-1 ATS and 122-33 straight up. It's a huge week in the Big 12, here's hoping we can all make it the last 48 hours to kickoff.

**Thursday**

#23 Miami (ESPN HD) @ Georgia Tech (3') -
Miami takes to the Thursday night air for the 2nd straight week in pursuit of the conference that no one really seems to want. Carolina's had the inside track in their division, but can't close the deal. Virginia Tech's faltered when they had a chance to grab control. And now there's Miami, with a loss to Carolina, but a win last week over Va. Tech, and now they hit the road to Ga. Tech, which may throw the ball 10 times a game. I think it's another low-scoring game with lots of defense, which makes covering more than a field goal tough to do. Somewhere in there, someone has to wrap up their spot in the ACC, and I think Miami can take a big step to that tonight. Miami...18-14.

**Saturday**

#2 Texas Tech (ABC HD) @ #5 Oklahoma (7) -
I heard somewhere that this game is important. Frankly, I needed the off week last week as much as either team did. Both offenses are flying, both defenses a little bit suspect, in so much as neither fan base thinks the opposing defense will stop their afore-mentioned flying offense. What Sooner fans don't want you to know is that they haven't really been able to beat Tech the way they want to. After Taurean Henderson scored to beat OU on the final play of the game in '05, SoonerFan promised that Tech would be beaten so badly in Norman the next year that they might actually be killed. Instead, OU found themselves down at the half and had to survive with a late TD to win 34-24. Hell, even the goofy Sonny Cumbie team lost 28-13 in Norman. Hardly the zillion-to-3 score that's predicted North of the Red River.

Look, bottom line is this. Both teams will move the ball, and both teams will score. Can Tech win in Norman? Sure. Could they lose by 3 TDs? Sure. That's just kinda how this football game is. But I don't see the latter happening. And if it's going to be close, as I said for the Texas game, may as well take Tech to win it outright. Tech...41-38.

Iowa State @ Kansas State (10) - Ron Prince is on his way out. Iowa State is playing better. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'Clones can find a way to win here. KState...38-30.

Syracuse (NBC HD) @ Notre Dame (20) - Greg Robinson is out at Syracuse, and Charlie Weis is on various hot seats, while others claim that's not true. Regardless, it'd better be a big seat. Notre Dame...34-10.

NC State (Raycom HD) @ #22 N. Carolina (11) - It's Rivalry Week, at least that's what ESPN keeps telling me. This is usually a good candidate for a real brawl of a game, but State's been hard to figure out this year. Carolina, home after a tough loss @ Maryland, can keep themselves in the ACC mix with a win, which I think they will. Carolina...27-17.

Michigan (ABC HD) @ #10 Ohio State (20') - Never thought I'd see this game with a 3TD line on it. Never thought I'd take it, either. Ohio State...35-14.

#15 Michigan State (ABC/ESPN2) @ #8 Penn State (14') - The Sparties are hard to figure, beating a bad Michigan team in the closing minutes, bombed by Ohio State at home, trounced Northwestern at NW. Here, they get Penn State to close Penn State's season. Penn State...31-13.

#14 BYU (The Mountain HD) @ #7 Utah (6') - Utah tries to keep their BCS hopes alive. Should be a pretty entertaining game, if you can see it. BYU...34-31.

#20 Pitt (ESPN2 HD) @ #19 Cincinnati (5') - Another Top 25 matchup here. I think it's close and decided late. Cincinnati...31-24.

Florida State (ESPN HD) @ #25 Maryland (1') - Florida State is a bit dinged on defense after losing a player after Darius McClure hurt himself while celebrating an interception. I like the speed of FSU here, even if they're not in warm Florida. FSU...23-20.

Boston College (ABC/ESPN2) @ Wake Forest (2) - The BC "D" is the difference here. Boston College...19-17.

Army (ESPN Plus) @ Rutgers (17') - Tough to like anyone by more than 3 scores against Army. Rutgers...27-20.

McGuffdate

from mgoblog by Brian
Okay, many questions in the inbox about the Rodriguez quote like so yesterday:
"We're hoping that he'll be back tonight but we're not sure,'' Rodriguez said. "We're hoping he'll be available.''
"Hoping" a guy on the team is available says much.
This is what I know: Before McGuffie left for Texas he informed coaches he wanted to transfer, at which point word spread through the team. His locker is still there and the door was not closed to a return a la Zion Babb, who was booted for repeated insubordination. Michigan is obviously trying to mend whatever was broken when McGuffie opted out of the Northwestern game. If they can smooth out the blowup, he may stay. I won't offer an opinion on how likely that is; I don't know.

Non-Con Debate Revisited

from Burnt Orange Nation by 54b
Now that we've thoroughly established that Muschamp sits at "the right hand of the father" and we've completely explored all the "what happens to Texas' title hopes if OU beats Tech after a last-second game winning Harrell to Crab TD pass gets nullified by a sideline infringement flag thrown for by a ref who once played cards with Barry Switzer" scenarios, I thought we might engage in a little bye-week beat down and revisit a long-standing BON debate.

There have been a number of exhaustive philosophical discussions regarding the Longhorns' non-conference scheduling practices here at the BON...
Defenders of Mack Brown, who supports an easier non-conference slate, typically argue that the Big XII conference schedule is tough enough as it is and if and when UT navigates it successfully, their SOS will rival that of any other team should both teams finish undefeated or with the same record. In other words, the glamour associated with playing tough non-conference games in September isn't worth risking a chance to play for all the marbles in January.

And up until this year, the argument for a harder non-conference schedule usually boiled down to the notion that going undefeated in conference play alone is so rare that Texas might as well include tough non-cons to ensure their SOS is high and they won't get left out of the title conversation should multiple teams finish with one loss.

But back then, I don't think anyone really considered the potential tie-breaker scenario that we're faced with now if Texas, OU, and Tech should all finish 7-1. I think we all just figured the conference champion would always be decided on the field and never left up to the voters.
Now Longhorns fans have to go to sleep at night knowing there is a very real possiblity that OU, of all teams, could get the nod to play in yet another Big XII Championship and possibly National Championship because of what amounts to a beauty contest despite losing to Texas and finishing with the same record.
And belive me, if that happens, Mack's cute little comeback - "we'll just go where they tell us to go" - ain't gonna stop Longhorn Nation from coming absolutely, friggin' unglued.
So here's the question: Regardless of what team from the south ends up in the conference title game this year, should Mack consider changing his non-conference scheduling philosophy moving forward?

Another year, another round of halfhearted stabs at Joe Paterno's immediate future

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-791658277-1227220813.jpg
I'm slightly biased, because the tea leaves as I read them in the Pennsylvania press over the summer led me to predict this would be Joe Paterno's last year at Penn State, whether he intended it to be or not. Look at the situation in August: Expired contract. Behind-the-scenes succession plans. Disses from star recruits. A shocking willing and able to push. Heavy-handed outside criticism about the culture and discipline of the program. If you'd added then that he'd spend almost the entire season relegated to the press box by a mysterious injury that would require hip replacement surgery after the season, I would have put money on Paterno's imminent retirement against anyone would have still been willing to go in on it. I would have given odds on at least one road opponent awarding him with a watch or Barcalounger.
But here we are, days before the last game of another regular season, and the question seems forced, as obligatory as ever, and some local outlets apparently haven't mentioned it; maybe they're waiting until the last second for the annual "Is This Is for JoePa?" bit, but it's only the same ill-defined hunch and sketchy speculation (or plainly bogus rumor) as ever. Mostly, Penn State reporters who have been through all this before are writing, we've been through all this before. They don't think he's quitting, or being forced out.
As the actual game approaches, i's more interesting to talk about the various Rose Bowl scenarios, and that alone may be what's made that other storyline so forgettable, like, "Oh yeah. We should probably address the retirement thing." For me, a large part of the guess that this would be Paterno's last season was the expectation that the Lions would struggle on offense, again fail to compete with Ohio State for the conference championship and finish the season mildly disappointed, as they've been for most of this decade (the very similar 2005 Big Ten title team notwithstanding). His zombie-like presence could be blamed for the program's steady descent into mediocrity. Of course, they've been better than anyone thought they could be, instead, and hardly stale the majority of the time. If this is what Penn State can be with Paterno as overseer, figurehead looking down from above, well, what's the rush? The Paterno Farewell Tour can continue to go on indefinitely, year after year, a tradition unto itself.
So even if JoePa does drop the 'R' bomb -- this weekend, or ever -- I can say as much as anyone else that I saw it coming, and predicted it months in advance. I mean, obviously: The guy's been hobbling around on a cane since midseason, and stands a good chance of needing one for the rest of his life. But I'll also be taken a little bit off-guard at that moment -- if he's made it this far, through another year to let go, why quit? Ever? The age, the cane, the hip; I think he just doesn't care.

Urban Meyer is the next Notre Dame head coach

from Fanblogs.com by Kevin Donahue
Attention Florida Gator fans: you're days of 'Urban renewal' are numbered. Meyer is headed to Notre Dame the next chance he gets, so says Florida Times-Union columnist Pete Kerasotis.
And the weird thing is... Kerasotis makes a damn fine case for Meyer leaving Florida for Notre Dame.
A common contention in my e-mail in-box is that in 2004, Meyer turned down Notre Dame in favor of becoming Florida's coach. Why, then, would he leave a school he once chose over Notre Dame to go to Notre Dame? Why?
Because things change.
After winning the 1996 National Championship, Spurrier went to bed prepared to wake up the next morning and take the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' job. He didn't. But five years later, he did jump to the NFL. Things change.
In his authorized biography "Urban's Way," written with former FLORIDA TODAY sports editor Buddy Martin, Meyer refers to his Big Three coaching jobs, the only three his wife Shelley has no veto power to block him from taking a job at. They are Notre Dame, Ohio State and Michigan.
Of those three, Meyer's self-proclaimed "dream job" -- his quote, not mine -- is Notre Dame, where he was once an assistant under Lou Holtz, spending five years with the Golden Domers.
OK. Things change, people change. For everything there is a season. Turn, turn, turn... and all that.
But what things?
Kerasotis explains that Shelley Meyer talked Urban into the Florida job because he go out recruiting and be home within a couple hours. Notre Dame, as Irish fans will remind you, recruits nationally. The Meyers' young family won out. Urban consented and the rest is Gator football history.
"I wanted to go to Notre Dame," Meyer admitted, "but my family wanted to talk about going to Florida." Shelley knew how tough the decision was for her husband because "he left his heart at Notre Dame when we left there last time -- he really, really, really loved Notre Dame."
That's "really" loved three times, if you're scoring at home.
Oldest daughter Nicole is 18, getting ready to leave the nest and head to Georgia Tech on a volleyball scholarship. Next oldest is Gigi, 15, a high school sophomore. Then there's Nathan, who turns 10 Monday. Soon, he'll only have one child at home, which makes it much easier for him to balance his professional and personal life -- i.e. the rigors of coaching the Fighting Irish.
All of this is relevant, of course, because Charlie Weis continues to struggle at Notre Dame. You just know that if Notre Dame could trade Weis for Meyer, they'd do it in a heartbeat.
If you're the Fighting Irish, you must have a short list of candidates in mind if you do make a coaching change. And if you're the Fighting Irish, Urban Meyer absolutely has to top that list.
Without question... you take Urban Meyer over Charlie Weis seven days a week and twice on Sunday. There's no comparison in what the two have accomplished. Meyer's cabinet was arguably more full than Weis's; however, you can never question the talent level at Notre Dame. It's Notre freakin' Dame.
And make no mistake... it still is Notre freakin' Dame -- the #1 coaching job in college football, period. Meyer could win 5 national championships in Gainesville... and UF will never be Notre Dame, ever.
Kerasotis explains that Notre Dame's dream coach -- Meyer -- longs for his dream job -- Notre Dame. Can a move be far off?
For what it's worth, I discussed the topic yesterday with Buddy Martin, author of "Urban's Way." Buddy's gotten closer to Meyer than any journalist I know, and he reiterated to me that "Notre Dame is Urban's first love." Will it be his last love?
Martin said he doesn't see Meyer coaching the Gators beyond the length of his current contract, which has five years remaining.
Me?
I don't see him lasting that long.
One word of advise to Notre Dame: Take that big truck full of money and back it up at Meyer's doorstep. Give him the keys to the castle. Let him thrown down green uniforms any time he wants.
Whatever it takes... he's worth it.

QB Controversy Part 2: Defending Chris Smelley

from Garnet And Black Attack by Gamecock Man
This is the second installment in a series on our QB controversy. Stay tuned tomorrow for a discussion of which QB's style would be better against Clemson's defensive strengths and weaknesses. I plan on wrapping this series up over the weekend with my own take on who should start.

Last time, we took a look at what Stephen Garcia brings to the table. This time, we're going to give Chris Smelley's merits a look. As I said last time, the two have similar stats on the season, but each brings different pluses and minuses to the table.
The most common argument in Smelley's favor is that he, unlike Garcia, knows Spurrier's offense. This one, of course, comes from the horse's mouth itself: Spurrier feels limited with Garcia at the helm because the freshman knows a limited number of plays and often has a lot of trouble understanding what Spurrier is telling him to do during games. The fact that Garcia has been under center during a few busted plays over the last few games would seem to confirm this. Smelley, on the other hand, seems very aware of what SOS wants out of him.
There are, of course, counterarguments to Spurrier's statements. A lot of the pro-Garcia crowd say that Smelley's knowledge doesn't make him any better than Garcia because Garcia has such a huge edge on Smelley in natural ability. That's true to a certain degree: Smelley's weak, inaccurate arm has cost us important yardage a few times when the open receivers have been there and Smelley has seen them. In hindsight, the play against Vanderbilt where Smelley overthrew a wide open Jared Cook who had room to run into the endzone may have cost us that game. On the other hand, Smelley's knowledge has paid dividends at times, which brings us to the next point...
When Smelley plays well, he plays very well. Knowledge combined with execution is a powerful thing, and Smelley showed us why against Ole Miss. Here are Smelley's stats during that game:
<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"> <tbody> <tr align="right"> <td>C/ATT</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>AVG</td> <td>TD</td> <td>INT</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="left">C. Smelley</td> <td>22/32</td> <td>327</td> <td>10.2</td> <td>3</td> <td>1</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> I'll take that line any day of week. Hell, Mack Brown would take that line. Smelley's performance against the Rebels, especially considering that this is probably the one game this year that our offense instead of our defense won for us, was clearly the best performance either QB has put up this year.
The counterargument to this point is that Smelley has generally been an inconsistent performer over the past two years. Last year, he was great against Mississippi State and Kentucky but awful against Vandy and Tennessee, the latter performance prompting Spurrier to put Blake Mitchell back in (for the record, I don't think he ever should have pulled Blake in the first place). This year, Smelley played well against Georgia (that loss will forever lie in Mike Davis's hands...or falling outside his hands and onto the grass, as the case may be) and very well against Ole Miss. However, he played like garbage against Kentucky, prompting Spurrier to put Garcia in to save the day. The pro-Garcia crowd will tell you that we shouldn't put the game in Smelley's hand because he might give the game away if he has a bad day. On the other hand, Garcia has been inconsistent as well, usually failing when opposing defenses key into his game and force him to win with his head.

Michigan Position Preview: Running Backs and More

from Buckeye Commentary by Massey
page0_blog_entry1218_1.jpg
Running Backs
If Ohio State didn’t have Beanie Wells, the match-up would be a whole lot closer. That said, OSU does have Beanie and a capable Boom Herron. Michigan has approximately 37 players that could run the ball, most likely sideways, and none of them do it effectively. Sam McGuffie (could be a threat, someday) apparently had a death in the family and won’t be playing in The Game. If that doesn’t fuel rumors of him transferring, I don’t know what will.

Beanie Wells and Boom Herron vs Brandon Minor and…Michael Shaw?
The real difference is Beanie. He laid down 222 on Michigan last year, hurt, in the cold, Michigan knew it was coming, and they were better last year. Boom came in as the backup to Beanie and did as well as anyone could have imagined with the poor offensive line play. With McGuffie out, Minor has played Ohio State before, ineffectively, and Michael Shaw is a true freshman that leads MI running backs in YPC at 5.8 yards on 30 carries.

Reserves: Maurice Wells and Brandon Saine vs Carlos Brown and Kevin Grady
Michigan has a lot more players that could run the ball than Ohio State. It’s sort of a product of the spread, but also not having an elite back to get a majority of the touches. Maurice Wells is in his final stanza of eligibility after coming to Ohio State with Jim Tressel his first year (ha). Mo Wells has always been this close to being a legitimate option for OSU, but has really not provided fans nor coaches a lot to cheer about. Brandon Saine is still on the team, I guess, after a season and a half of being a guy that Tressel occasionally calls a play for (bootleg!). As for Michigan, anyone at anytime could run the ball. Whether it be QBs, WRs, HBs, or FBs, Michigan is built on side to side confusion (We’re going to run the spread!). Carlos Brown could be dangerous but has never proven it, and he could even see time at QB. Justin Feagin, or the Poor Man’s Terrelle Pryor, has burned his redshirt and can run the ball for the Wolverines. Kevin Grady is a human bowling ball (he’s short and stocky and runs into his own blockers) and still thinks Mickey Mouse is a cat.

Head Coach
Both men have had their hardships this year. Let’s start with Tressel, whose senior-laden team came out of the box and struggled with Ohio, got devastated by USC, and now has an offense that’s just finding it’s way…11 games into the season. He’s done a good job preventing a Lloyd Carr/ Kirk Ferentz free fall, but the offense scored a total of 3 TDs in its biggest games and is trying to look BCS capable with a blowout of Michigan. Rich Rodriguez has reasons to make excuses, but not as many reasons as you have been lead to believe. Let’s face it, Michigan should be able to lean forward and pick up 3.5 yards against Toledo.

Jim Tressel vs. Rich Rodriguez
I would like to give this as a runaway success to Jim Tressel. He’s a man who has had 4 championships in D-1AA, 1 in D-1A, and 2 other appearances (results not withstanding). Rich Rodriguez almost had that one that West Virginia blew its opportunity against Dave Wannstache and Pitt. But then again, Jim Tressel’s team lost to Ron Zook last year. Yikes. Rich was at WVU and no one expected them to be as good as they got (at least with Pat White/Steve Slaton/Noel Devine).

What sets these two men apart is ability to adapt. Jim Tressel was the kid that put all the right shapes in the right holes and got a , while Rich Rodriguez was the one pouting in the corner because the square wouldn’t fit in the circle hole. Jim Tressel has lost some of his luster after the Florida debacle and the LSU game (not to mention USC), but no question he adapts to his players. If that means off tackle and prevent defense for 60 minutes, he’ll do it. Rodriguez, on the other hand, lost to Toledo. Nuff said​

The Great Option Back Is Back, His Name Is Jonathan Dwyer and He Plays at Georgia Tech

from The FanHouse - NCAAfootball
by Brian GrummellFiled under: Georgia Tech, Miami, ACC
jonathan-dwyer-run-zoom-180.jpg
So he's not exactly the great Mike Rozier and we haven't seen a truly great option runner since 1997 and Ahman Green, but Georgia Tech's Jonathan Dwyer will most definitely do. Before leaving late in the first half with an injury, Dwyer did the following with his 10 carries against a hot Miami defense:

35-yard-carry, 0 yards, 3 yards, 12 yards, -1 yard, 58 yards (touchdown), 2 yards, 10 yards, 3 yards, 6 yards (touchdown). Most of his carries were inside Miami's 10 yard line where the defense could slow him down, but in the open field he was electric, including a certain highlight-reel cult hit 58 yard touchdown run where he barreled over, juked and then outran several defenders.

It was power, speed, shakes, vision and want-to all in one amazing play. And it wasn't his first like that this year. Watch enough Georgia Tech football and its obvious that as talented a runner quarterback Josh Nesbitt is (93 yards tonight, 591 yards in nine games this year), he keeps the darn ball too much. Backfield mate Dwyer is the real deal, and his 128 first-half yards and two touchdowns against Miami point to a bright future in college football.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Instant Analysis: Miami-Georgia Tech </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
</td> <td width="3" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Matt Zemek
Staff Columnist
Posted Nov 20, 2008
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Already banged up to begin with, the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets lost a number of additional players during Thursday night’s game against Miami. With the way their offense hummed against the Canes, it didn’t matter. Coach Paul Johnson’s triple-option attack flummoxed Miami’s formidable defense to give a commonwealth a simple message: “Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.”
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">

More on the crowded ACC Coastal Division in a moment. In order for this race to remain chaotic and benefit Virginians in both Charlottesville and Blacksburg, the Canes had to fall in Atlanta first. A Miami win in Bobby Dodd Stadium would have enabled coach Randy Shannon’s recruits to look down on the rest of their division, with a home game against North Carolina State remaining on their schedule. By jumping the Jackets, Miami would have surmounted its last imposing test on the road to the program’s first-ever ACC Coastal championship. It was up to the Rambling Wreck to live up to its name if this division was to remain up for grabs.

Sure enough, Georgia Tech caused its share of wreckage, yanking “The U” right out of the catbird seat in this endlessly chaotic division. Before getting to a ton of tiebreakers, it’s worth noting how the Jackets of Johnson did the deed.

Before this game started, many observers thought that Georgia Tech’s best chance for victory was to lean on its defense against the Canes’ pair of young quarterbacks. And while it was true that a pair of second-quarter interceptions enabled the Jackets to establish and then maintain a multi-possession lead, it was more than a little shocking to see Tech trample Miami’s athletic and powerful defense, a unit that had not allowed more than 17 points in each of its past five games. With the way Miami’s defense had been dealing out the punishment to opposing offenses, it didn’t seem likely that Tech could ring up huge numbers against Shannon’s shutdown stars.

After this 60-minute slaughter, however, it’s clear that the Yellow Jackets turned conventional wisdom on its head… and made befuddled Miami linebackers and safeties turn their heads toward the goal line, watching the backs of white-shirted runners as they strolled to the end zone.

The same basic sequence occurred over and over again in this Thursday night throwdown: Miami would lack proper defensive alignment; Tech quarterback Josh Nesbitt—who came into this contest nursing an injury—would make the right read at the line of scrimmage; a Tech ballcarrier would find a hole and get through the initial point of contact; and, finally, Miami’s linebackers and safeties would overrun their gaps, producing breakaway runs for the Yellow Jackets. Whether it was Nesbitt, running back Jonathan Dwyer—who was knocked out of the game late in the second quarter—or even fullback Lucas Cox, Tech sprang its backs to big-gainers by exploiting deficient reads and faulty positioning on the part of Miami’s defense. When Yellow Jacket runners got five yards past the line, no Hurricane safety was there to provide run support. This pattern continued all night long, making Tech’s offense even more of a difference-maker than its already-stout defense. The win itself was not a surprise for Tech, but the margin of victory—just like the home team’s rushing output of over 400 yards—was not expected near the end of an ACC season defined by parity.

Now, with this Rambling Wreck rout in the books, it’s time to face facts in the ACC Coastal: If favorites win out this Saturday and again in week 14, a four-way tie will emerge at the top of this division. Here’s how the tiebreakers will affect the remainder of this race:

With Virginia and Virginia Tech playing each other on Nov. 29, it’s not likely that a five-team tie will take place, but it is mathematically possible. All things considered, though, a four-team traffic jam seems not just possible, but likely, at this point in time. Without further ado, then, these are the scenarios you need to know about:

First, let’s just declare who would win certain multi-team ties.

In the case of a four-way tie involving Miami, Georgia Tech, North Carolina and Virginia, the Cavaliers would win based on the ACC’s first two tiebreaker criteria, head-to-head wins and divisional records.

In the case of a four-way tie involving Miami, Georgia Tech, North Carolina, and Virginia Tech, the Hokies would win for the same set of reasons.
Based on these two hypotheticals, one can immediately see why Virginians of all ages are thinking that Christmas has come early. More and more, it seems that the Virginia-Virginia Tech winner will ultimately claim the Coastal. Miami, Georgia Tech, and North Carolina will all need something wacky to happen. Need a roadmap to Tampa, site of the ACC Championship Game on Dec. 6? Here it is for the ACC Coastal competitors outside Virginia:

Miami has the toughest road, because Georgia Tech’s win ensures that the Canes and Jackets will be tied in the conference standings. Given the Yellow Jackets’ head-to-head win over Miami, Randy Shannon’s squad needs to get into a three-team tie with Virginia, and no one else. If Miami, Tech and UVA are the three teams tied atop the Coastal, Miami would go because of even head-to-heads and a better division record than Georgia Tech. Therefore, if you’re a Miami fan, you need to beat N.C. State, have Virginia win out, and have North Carolina lose one of its two remaining games, against N.C. State and Duke.

Georgia Tech—due to this win over Miami—would benefit from a two-way tie with the Canes. If North Carolina loses once, and the Virginia-Virginia Tech winner loses its other remaining game (the Cavs host Clemson this Saturday; Tech hosts Duke), the Yellow Jackets will travel to Tampa, provided that Miami takes care of business against N.C. State. Due to the worst division record of any ACC Coastal contender, Tech would not win any three- or four-team tie. All in all, Miami and Georgia Tech are the teams whose chances are particularly slim.

North Carolina, due to head-to-head wins, would love to get into a three-team tie with Miami and Georgia Tech. That scenario would get the Tar Heels into the ACC title tilt. In order for that to happen, coach Butch Davis would need his team to win out, while seeing Virginia and Virginia Tech split their remaining games. Just like Georgia Tech, UNC needs one of the Virginia schools to stumble.

This brings us to the kids from the commonwealth, Virginia and Virginia Tech. The Cavs and Hokies both beat North Carolina and Georgia Tech, the reason why they stand above their competitors in most of these ACC Coastal tiebreaker scenarios. If Virginia wins out, only one realistic scenario could prevent Al Groh’s guys from claiming the Coastal: North Carolina losing one of its final two games, creating that three-way tie among Miami, Georgia Tech, and the Cavs themselves. Miami would advance in that case. But as long as the Tar Heels take care of their in-state rivalries, the Cavs would have the inside track to Tampa.

This leaves us with the team that completely controls its fate in the ACC Coastal Division: Virginia Tech. If Frank Beamer’s boys win out, the Hokies will be in Tampa. Because Virginia Tech has the best division record of any ACC Coastal team, there’s no three- or four-team tie it could lose. A win over Duke this Saturday will turn the Nov. 29 head-knocker with Virginia into a divisional championship game for the defending conference champions.
If your head’s spinning after all those tiebreakers, just settle down and absorb these simple facts in making sense of the ACC Coastal:

1) Virginia Tech is the master of its fate. 2) Virginia is in solid position, but needs North Carolina to avoid an upset loss. 3) UNC and Georgia Tech need the Virginia schools to crumble this Saturday, with the Yellow Jackets also needing Carolina to crack under pressure. 4) Miami joins Georgia Tech on the ropes, while the Virginia schools lick their chops and Carolina hopes for an opening.

Georgia Tech beat Miami this Thursday night, but on a larger level, Paul Johnson’s Jackets enabled the people of Virginia—at one school or another—to claim the ACC Coastal crown and fly to Florida on the first weekend of December. The only question left to ask is this: “Now that Virginia has been told there’s a Santa Claus, will the commonwealth’s football forces be similarly generous in the final two weeks of the season?”
</td></tr></tbody></table>

SOUTH FLORIDA...(not just where people go to die)

from Thoughts From a Fat White Guy by Rob Lunn
The Huskies prepare to take a trip down South, to the land of swamps, retirees, and the 4pm early-bird special. Apparently there will also be some football played on Sunday. Lets take a look:

South Florida has come on strong since joining the Big East (ranked as high as #2 last year). They've struggled as of late, but I'm the last person to sleep on any team (check out the Syracuse post). Don't let some hiccups in their schedule fool you, South Florida is a force to be reckoned with (insert South Florida-hurricane analogy here).

Offense:
One Word. Actually, two words....and three syllables. Matt Grothe (I'll take, Does this Grothe look normal to you, Doctor? for 500, Alex). Clever puns aside, Grothe is a dual threat quarterback. Dare I compare him to Robert Griffin (oh I dare, yes...I dare). Griffin has the NCAA clocked speed but Grothe can burn. Point in case, Barwin from Cincy had him dead to rights on the USF ten yard line, 3rd and 14, and Grothe rips a 48 yarder making Barwin look less "great white hope" and more "great white joke." I respect Grothe's grit too, telling the media, "I'd play on one leg if I had to." (As much chance as a one-legged man in an...never mind). Truth is Grothe and his stable of running backs are all moving behind the steam rolling capabilities of their talented offensive line. On film their big-uglies are looking like two parts wrecking crew one part impenetrable wall (YOU! SHALL! NOT! PASS!). Anchored by the self described "biggest talker" Ryan Schmidt:

Apparently Ry (do you mind if I call you Ry?) Ry, has not only the gift of gab but also a mean streak that has "proved invaluable to the Bulls." (He's also in the running for FWG of the week). Expect a slug fest in the trenches.

Defense:
Selvie, Selvie, Selvie (Marsha, Marsha, Marsha!). Emotional leader Moffitt gone, sack-master (haha) Selvie steps it up in a big way. While he does have some catching up to do with Cody Brown in sack totals this year, George Selvie is a major threat in a big way off the edge. Probably one of the best match ups in college football this year will be to see how OT Will Beatty battles Selvie in the pass game (that and how Dave Wandstat's mustache holds up to the frigid cold in Cincinnati. Brrrrr).

UCONN:
Can DDB (downtown Donny Brown--for the new comers) continue his streak of road-rashing (word?) opponents? This week will be an even greater test.
South Florida is a hot-bed of talent skill players. Their team represents a cross section of some of the finest. The height and speed of their receivers will present a tremendous challenge to our secondary (Reggie can't help he's only 4'6)

Its getting late (not post-time). Time for some...

Final Thoughts:

I've received some mixed reviews to my take of the Jeff Jacobs article in the Hartford Courant which called Coach Edsall "Coach Pinocchio." Bottom line is this: It is exactly how I felt, about coach and about the article. However, that being said, the picture comparing him to Vigo from Ghostbusters was out of line (I dont wanna say sleezy, cause thats not the word, but maybe...a tad irresponsible?-Wedding Crashers) The FWG is not about personal attacks, so my heartfelt apologies to Jeff.

As a corollary, go out and rent yourself Ghostbusters II, cinematic gold.

The FWG will be graduating in December and needs your help (no not on figuring out what size cap and gown to buy....XXXL). Email me some suggestions on trips you've taken that you liked: Emphasis on abroad and backpacking.

I need to give a shout out to some of my teammates who have felt left out on the blog. Bret Manning-- a transfer from Springfield College (alma mater of the Henry "Uncle Hank" Hughes). B-Manning is a real spark plug and an inspiration to everyone in the weight room (nice delts)

Second is Nate Sherr. Despite the fact that Nate shamelessly hits on my girlfriend in front of me, he is an outstanding individual. One of the un-sung heroes on our team that grinds it out on scout team and is making a case to be a starting long-snapper. Again, a great guy. Just don't ask him to say "car" or "Harvard"....trust me on this. (Pahhhhk the Cahhhh in the Hahhhhvad Yahhhhd). God, its annoying.

On May 16th my cousin Christopher will be getting his confirmation. Despite the voices of reason he has asked me to be his sponsor. FWG: The Patron Saint of Pork Products. Can't wait.

Speaking of which, I need a new "Headliner Graphic" so please send pictures or photo montages or anything else to TheFatWhiteGuy@gmail.com, I also need a slogan. The current front runner:
THOUGHTS FROM A FAT WHITE GUY
Where porkchops live.

Got something better?
Email me!
TheFatWhiteGuy@gmail.com

Don't Bet On It!: National Games of Interest

from Dawg Sports by T Kyle King
Because the ‘Dawgs are idle this Saturday (and, thus, there is no need for me to prepare an installment of Too Much Information), I have been able to take a more leisurely approach to this week’s posting schedule. For instance, I didn’t take you around the S.E.C. until Thursday morning, which means I didn’t get to the national games of interest before now. Had I done this earlier, though, I, uh, would have called Wednesday’s Ball State-Central Michigan showdown and Thursday’s Georgia Tech-Miami (Florida) matchup correctly. Really, I promise I would have.

The credibility of the preceding claim may or may not be bolstered by my 4-2 ledger in last week’s national picks, which improved my season-long record in non-S.E.C. predictions to a middling 37-30. Surely it goes without saying that such a prognosticating resume offers all the incentive you would ever need for following my regular recommendation: Don’t Bet On It!

<center>
Muschamp_leaping_into_players_arms.jpg
</center>
Will Muschamp proving to be the finest hire of the 2008-’09 coaching carousel? You can bet on that!

Here are Saturday’s national games of note:

Pittsburgh at Cincinnati: This game presents a lot of unanswered questions. Will Brian Kelly’s apparent candidacy to take over at Tennessee distract the Bearcats? Is Dave Wannstedt really on the verge of leading the Panthers to a conference crown? Is this game being played in 2008 or in 2001? Before the season started, I voiced my doubts about Pitt and heeded the apparent wisdom of my brother-in-law, who advised me: "Every time someone ranks Pitt in their top 25, an angel loses its wings." The Mid-American Conference refugee ‘Cats, on the other hand, seem like the odd men out in a Big East otherwise made up of disappointments (Louisville, Rutgers, South Florida, and West Virginia), flukes (Connecticut and Pitt), and disasters (Syracuse). Cincinnati, by contrast, actually seems like a solid program, which is why I’m going with the Bearcats to keep their heads about them while the Panthers inevitably implode.

Brigham Young at Utah: I don’t know whether this year’s edition of the Holy War will be the best game money can buy, but there’s a good chance it will be the best game you won’t get to see. I don’t know that this is such a terrible thing, though, because the Utes clearly appear to be by far the best of the non-B.C.S. conference teams and the Cougars look like the most overrated of the potentially rankable mid-majors. I like Utah to take care of business at home in a game that won’t be particularly close.

<center></center>
When I note that B.Y.U. is the most overrated of the possibly top 25-worthy squads from outside the longstanding power conferences, I am even including the Hawaii Warriors of the Midwest, the Ball State Cardinals, who have played no one but at least have gone undefeated. (Associated Press photograph by Michael Conroy.)

Michigan State at Penn State: I have to give the Spartans credit; I keep waiting for them to collapse, and they haven’t done it yet. It would be more than a bit of a stretch to claim that a loss to the Nittany Lions in Happy Valley followed by a loss to, oh, say, Georgia in the Capital One Bowl would constitute a late-season fade, but, just the same, let’s give it a shot, shall we? Michigan State gets some semblance of a downturn underway with a loss to Penn State; we’ll see how the rest of it plays out come January 1.

Texas Tech at Oklahoma: I know it’s sacrilege for an active participant in the college football blogosphere to say so, but I don’t particularly care for Mike Leach. I respect him as a coach, and I have no basis for disliking the man personally, but he strikes me as being like those guys in high school who tried to be weird strictly for the sake of being able to brag about how weird they were. That’s the hit I get off of Coach Leach’s public fixation with pirates and his purposeful quirkiness. I don’t mind those attributes in a sportscaster or a blogger, but I don’t particularly need to see a Division I-A head coach let his freak flag fly solely so he can make a production out of celebrating how odd he is. It’s like he’s a sports talk radio host caught in a football coach’s body. To give credit where credit is due, though, Coach Leach has put together a complete team in Lubbock and is no longer entirely reliant upon soft scheduling and ludicrous aerial numbers for his success. Can he win on the road against a man who has done little of late to earn the nickname "Big Game Bob"? I’m not sure whether this has more to do with faith in Texas Tech or a lack of same in Oklahoma, but, either way, I’m going with the Red Raiders to cement their claim to the No. 1 ranking with a Norman conquest.

Those are my picks for tomorrow’s college football action on the national stage. Since my track record is what it is, the foregoing forecasts are for entertainment purposes only; no matter what your particular circumstances happen to be, you ought to take my weekly advice: Don’t Bet On It!

Coming Soon: National Game of Disinterest.

Go ‘Dawgs!

Headlinin': Jackets take 'Canes to school, for everyone to see

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-396782482-1227277608.jpg
How are you enjoying Miami, Patrick Nix? Georgia Tech waited for the perfect opportunity to unleash its most prolific offensive outburst of the season, using the Thursday night showcase to obliterate one of the best run defenses in the ACC for, what did it end up, 472 yards on 8.2 per carry? Which is only about four times the 'Canes average yields on the ground. It was a nationally-televised clinic in how to execute -- and how to fail completely in stopping -- a simple, old-school fullback dive, which Jonathan Dwyer and Luke Cox popped for four different runs of at least 25 yards, including the 58-yard touchdown run in the second quarter that might have made Dwyer the household name he's deserved to be for most of the season. The next snap, on the first play of Tech's next possession? Josh Nesbitt keeps off the dive fake and leaves Canes in the dust for a 54-yard gain that set up another touchdown. There's only one way to describe that sequence of play calls by Paul Johnson.
And Miami ... sigh. I hope they didn't buy into that "program-making game" business in the pre-game. That's what we get from a team that relies on so much youth: An awesome effort against Virginia Tech to take hold of the division, and a complete wipeout a week later. Of course, this is the sort of baffling result we get from the ACC on a consistent basis, surprising margin notwithstanding. More later (probably) on the newly convoluted ACC race.
Pete Carroll demands a stealth jet, now. Rick Neuheisel's not showing off or anything. He's a resourceful guy. He wasn't born with a silver spoon or a helicopter to make his Friday night recruiting rounds, and he can get along just fine without the chopper for a week, thanks:
[Neuheisel] was prepared for one more doubleheader tonight in Ventura and Mission Viejo until he was given the "unfortunate" news about his booster-provided helicopter Thursday: Blue Thunder is grounded.
"It's already occupied," Neuheisel said. "I can't get everything done that I had planned. I'm going to leg it."
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-367315848-1227277625.jpg
Certainly local police will recognize the urgency of visiting St. Bonaventure DB Patrick Hall, a USC commit, and provide an escort to accompany Neuheisel through blocked routes in time for the third quarter (unless they're Trojans fans, the bureaucratic bastards).
Terry Don Phillips wants you to be up to date. Two new names in the Clemson coaching search: Air Force coach Troy Calhoun, who might interview with AD Phillips next week after the Falcons' finale Saturday, and Illinois offensive coordinator Mike Locksley, who apparently interviewed in Detroit before the Illini's game there with Western Michigan two weeks ago, when everyone thought Lockley was Lane Kiffin; Kiffin has interviewed, according to The State's Paul Strelow, but not in Detroit. At least not that time in Detroit. And it was still to talk to Brent Venables that one time when the plane was in Oklahoma, right? We just want to keep all this information straight.
Don't forget that there's also Dabo Swinney, who is not a man, but is a good ol' boy, and has C.J. Spiller's full support.
Quickly ... Mike Hamilton's choice of a new head coach to replace Phil Fulmer is the biggest decision of his career, and could decide his future as Tennessee's athletic director. ... A little advice for picking a new offensive coordinator at Auburn. Are we sure they're not going to be picking a new head coach yet? ... For some reason, Jim Mora's name is still popping up around Washington as a replacement for Ty Willingham. ... And Georgia's in no hurry to name Mark Richt's successor. Why is Damon Evans allowing the fine Bulldog program to fall behind in the crucial coach-in-waiting race?

Rev Picks 'Em: Week 13

from Hugging Harold Reynolds by noreply@blogger.com (Hugging Harold Reynolds)
WEST VIRGINIA (-7) at Louisville: Since joining the Big East just a few short years ago, this game has turned into one of the premier rivalries in the conference. Ok, I know it’s Big East football and you could probably care less. But seriously, even though both teams carry less than lackluster records into this matchup, you can bet that this will be a very hard-hitting game. If anything, the post-game shenanigans should be interesting:

By the way, Louisville needs a win against the ‘Eers to reach 6 on the season, and most likely will need a win against Rutgers next week to receive any bowl consideration. My guess? They’ll lose both to finish 5-7. He may be Satan incarnate, but things seemed a whole lot better just two short years ago when Bobby Petrino was at the helm for the ‘Cards …

Tennessee at VANDERBILT(-3): Consider this: It is entirely likely that Tennessee could close out the 2008 season with back-to-back losses to Vandy and Kentucky. In case you’re keeping score at home, that would leave the Vols at 3-9 for the year. Which, speaking of …

Michigan at OHIO STATE (-20 ½): Michigan is DEFINITELY going 3-9. Even Vegas has given the proverbial bitch-slap to Michigan - the Buckeyes are laying 20 ½ points to the Wolverines. By some accounts, that’s the largest spread ever in this rivalry. But hey, if you’re a Michigan fan, don’t dare complain about it: coach Rich Rodriguez thinks you should “get a life”.

NORTH CAROLINA STATE (+11) at North Carolina: Upset alert: I’m calling this game for the Wolfpack. Led by Russell Wilson, one of the best passers in the ACC, NCSU has gotten on a bit of a hot streak of late. Plus, the Wolfpack sport a stellar 3-0 record against in-state opponents, having beaten East Carolina, Duke and Wake Forest. A win vs. the rival Tarheels would do wonders for the folks in Raleigh, and leave them just one win short on the season from bowl eligibility.

Stanford at CALIFORNIA (-9): Stanford hung tough for a half last week vs. USC, but that may be because they are apparently kryptonite to the Trojans. Otherwise, Stanford is just another pedestrian team in the PAC-10. Cal really isn’t that much better, but I’m taking them here since the game’s in Berkeley. Really, this pick ‘em thing isn’t that scientific.

#17 Michigan State (+15 ½) at #7 Penn State: How dreadful can this game shake out for Penn State? Several weeks ago, they were looking at this matchup as their ticket to the national championship game – now they need a win just to keep their spot in the Rose Bowl. I think two touchdowns is too much to spot the Spartans, so I’m going to take the points here, but I still like the Lions to win the game. And for their sake, I hope they do – they’ve had a great season, even though the rest of the Big Ten is atrocious this year.

FLORIDA STATE at #22 Maryland (+1 ½) (as described with by Rusty): Trying to pick the winner of this game is like trying to pick the winner of a butt kicking fight between Rambo and Rocky. Maryland's been a solid football team in College Park this year, having amassed a 6-0 record, but the Terp's face quite the superior opponent this coming Saturday. Florida State has the best offense and defense in the ACC, statistically. Although, they've struggled at times with a two QB system behind a weak offensive line, they are a solid football team and improving. Maryland on the other hand has got one of the best running backs in the leauge with Da'rel Scott (that's not a typo). The Seminoles might look better on paper, but Maryland's on top of the ACC and a win tomorrow followed by a road win against BC next week would send the Terps to Tampa and help cool the embers under the big boy's seat. This all means, this game will come down to heart. Who wants it more. This may give Florida State a slight edge with it's off-the-field story this week. Safety Myron Rolle is being interviewed for a Rhodes scholarship Saturday afternoon before flying to join his team for the 2nd half of the game. The fact that FSU has a positive academic story could do wonders for the team's motivation, or the world could implode because the team known for 5 finger discounts at Dillard's has recruited smart kids. Regardless of the outcome, it'll be a hard fought game in the chilly DC suburbs, but look for a close Seminoles victory.

#16 Brigham Young at #8 UTAH (-7): Utah, the original BCS crashers, would be right back in the major bowl picture with a win against rival BYU. Interestingly, I like that these kinds of rivalry games have kitschy nicknames: For instance, this game is dubbed “the Holy War.” That would probably raise hackles for some reason or another in more politically correct corners of the country, but this is Utah. No one really knows – or for that matter, wants to know - what goes on in Utah, so I guess we can all collectively shrug it off.

#21 Oregon State (+2 ½) at ARIZONA: People are still dogging USC for losing to Oregon State, but consider this: OSU’s tied with the Trojans atop the PAC-10 standings. And if the Beavers win this week and next week against rival Oregon, Oregon State would be the team to get the conference’s spot in the BCS. Of course, you could just as easily consider that last sentence the kiss of death for Oregon State and watch them drop their last two to finish 7-5.

#20 Pittsburgh at #19 CINCINNATI (-6): Needless to say, this is the biggest game in the history of UC Bearcat football. Of course, they don’t have much of a history aside from a crumbling relic of a stadium, but that’s beside the point. A win against Pitt would clinch the Big East conference championship for the Bearcats, not to mention a spot in the school’s first ever BCS bowl game. Cincy’s really no joke – they have 6 starters on D that likely will get drafted, and it doesn’t really matter who they put in at QB (they’ve played 5 QBs on the season), they always get the job done.

Interestingly enough, if you were ever wondering what a “bearcat” is, try this on for size:
"A Bearcat resembles somewhat to a bear in physical appearance, though on closer observation it looks like a small bushy dog. Its average length is about 60-96 cm and weighs around 9-14 kg. It has small round ears and black round eyes. The body of the animal is covered with thick black fur. Its most attractive feature is its long bushy tail, ranging as long as 55-90 cm."
One of life’s great mysteries solved. I’m glad I looked that up.

#2 Texas Tech (+7) at #5 OKLAHOMA: (courtesy of Big XII expert Greg in St. Louis) This week’s Big 12 “Game of the Year” will directly affect the outcome of the Big 12 South, The Heisman Race, and who claims the Big 12’s slot in the National Championship game. Tech has put the points on the board this year, they have a solid O-line, major skill at QB and WR, and their “bend, not break” defense has done the job when called upon. The Sooners are trying to buck their trend of bad play in big games over the past few years and even in the Red River Shootout this year. However, since that loss to Texas they have destroyed their opponents to the tune of 63.3 points per game. One more stat in the Sooners favor, 60-2 at home under Bob Stoops – simply put, you don’t go into Norman and come out victorious. In the case of two hot teams that are evenly matched, go with the home team for sure. Boomer Sooner!

Classic.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bx5ux2-SdF4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bx5ux2-SdF4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The Doc Abroad: Breaking down Texas' dismal title hopes

I've covered the subject a couple times here, but for anyone who wants a very concise breakdown of the reasons I think Texas is destined to be shut out of the Big 12 Championship game -- and therefore the mythical national championship game -- no matter what happens in Saturday's Oklahoma-Texas Tech shootout, I spelled them out for the benefit of Burnt Orange Nation. Understandably, they're not quite as skeptical about the Horns' chances there as I am.

Mr. Untouchable: Deconstructing Oklahoma's chances of pressuring Graham Harrell

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-916431871-1227291375.jpg
I have no reason to defend Texas Tech, but I did get worked up over its description in the Knoxville News-Sentinel this week as a "gadget offense" that would never go over in the big, bad SEC, just because it's so incredibly retrograde.
Leach's offense at Tech is nothing of the sort, unless you still think of the forward pass as a "gadget": Watch the Raiders throw the ball, and they're not deceptive, they don't run motion all over the field, they don't run a lot of reverses, throwbacks or even play-action. It's just a fundamentally sound passing game that's exceptional in its timing and precision, and unless Oklahoma is able to disrupt it at the root -- that is, by pressuring Graham Harrell -- the Sooners will go the way of Texas and Oklahoma State (and, you know, the Sooners, since it was last year's upset over OU in Lubbock that kicked off Tech's ongoing, 12-game win streak).
Let's talk gameplan. It's hard to deal with Tech's scheme with coverages. You might hear talking heads occasionally say something like, "They [Texas Tech] don't care what the defense is doing. They do what they do." Here's a good example from last year's game against Oklahoma and the Raiders' last game against Oklahoma State, when the same play resulted in big gains against completely different defenses.
Oklahoma State played man defense most of the game, with truly awful results. One of said results was on this play in the second quarter, when Tech came out in a trips formation and crossed the secondary up with the kind of post-flag combo route that you might run regularly (I know I do) on NCAA Football:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-134889955-1227302730.jpg
The result is Michael Crabtree one-on-one in the middle of the field, and a completion inside the five-yard-line:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-663489567-1227291040.jpg
Tech scored easily on a draw to Shannon Woods on the next play. Obviously, you don't want Michael Crabtree running one-on-one with anybody -- but that's better than leaving him running all alone between a safety and linebacker, as Oklahoma did on a key play in the first half of last year's loss in Lubbock (this video, as poor as it is, is titled "Tech vs OU Momentum Shift"), when the Raiders hit the exact same route for a big gain against the Sooners' zone:
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g8wjNVsj9Jw&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
The key in both cases is Graham Harrell getting the ball out quickly, on time, to just the right spot, and Crabtree being big and physical enough to get off the line and get that spot. They're so consistent and precise with the pitch-and-catch elements, the coverage is always at a disadvantage. The defense has to try to disrupt Harrell's timing and accuracy with the pass rush.
Let's go to the game tape.
The problem is that, uh, there isn't any game tape of a defense disrupting Harrell with the pass rush. Tech's given up four sacks all year in 500 pass attempts; Texas got to him twice, and Oklahoma State didn't come close.
Earlier in the year, contributor Tyler Sellhorn broke down Oklahoma State's pressure on Missouri, whose attack is similar to Texas Tech's in a lot of ways: four and five-wide, big splits by the linemen, extremely smart, accurate quarterback. The Cowboys exploited the Tigers' big line splits and got to Chase Daniel by twisting their linemen on a regular basis, totally fouling up Missouri's man blocking scheme, keeping Daniel in the pocket and forcing him into more mistakes than he'd made the entire first month of the season:
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kMihgUUR27M&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
Though the formations and lines may be the same, the difference in Chase Daniel and Graham Harrell is that Daniel is more dangerous on the run, and much of Missouri's offense relies on getting him outside of the pocket; the Cowboys' twists were designed to trap Daniel into moving into pressure. Harrell doesn't move unless the play has broken down; he wants to stay in the pocket, and twists will take too long to get home.
Oklahoma prefers to just beat the offensive line one-on-one with superior athletes, but Tech's line has shown no weakness on that front. More likely -- unless he's willing to leave his secondary in man coverage and pray for the best -- Sooner defensive coordinator Brent Venables is going to have to get creative, which is hardly foreign to him: Here's how he baited then-sophomore Harrell into a sack with a textbook zone blitz the last time the Raiders were in Norman, in 2006.
Oklahoma's only in a three-man front, but with linebackers creeping up before the snap, one of Harrell's "hot" reads in case of blitz is the quick slant into the middle of the field. Instead, Venables drops the trips-side defensive end into that passing lane, leaving the Tech right tackle blocking air as the pressure comes from the backside corner:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-93739187-1227290939.jpg
It's only a four-man rush, but it's not the four men the quarterback or (especially) the protection expects. Harrell recognizes the end dropping into the passing lane and doesn't make the bad throw, but by holding onto the ball too long, and with his line shifting wholesale in the wrong direction, he's meat for Lendy Holmes off the corner:
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kc5JFOmb0aY&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
The question is whether a) Senior Graham Harrell is going to be confused, or as slow to react to the blitz, as Sophomore Graham Harrell, and b) whether his line will leave him hanging out to dry. Neither has been the case so far this year, at any point, but as with Missouri in 2007, Oklahoma's defense has a way of breaking certain prolific offensive trends. In this case, with the Sooner offense, it only needs three or four stops, and maybe a turnover or two.

Sexy Friday Wasn’t Really Planning on It Being So Cold

from Kissing Suzy Kolber by Caveman Captain
The holidays are practically upon us, and with that the weather has turned cold. Really. Fucking. Cold.​
I spent about half an hour walking my dog one morning this week, then came back in and brushed my teeth. And I was like, “Why is this water so warm?” I checked the temperature with my hand. Warm water. Checked the faucet. Cold. Then I realized: it was so cold outside that the inside of my mouth had gotten colder than cold faucet water.​
And yet, here it is, freezing weather, and all these models are without shirts. So sad. For them, I mean.​

Just look at those poor, poor women. Totally unprepared for the bitter chill of Sexy Friday. Perhaps I can warm you ladies up with some body heat?
What’s that you say? The restraining order is still in effect and you’ve already called the police?
Fine. Play hard to get. I’ll still be a gentleman. Here, put on a coat. I’d hate for you to catch… something.

Football Programs Need Not Fear Innovation

from The Sporting Blog
102875.jpg

Paul Johnson's flexbone will never work. Mike Leach is too eccentric to succeed. The spread option will be a bust in the SEC. Skepticism is a fine philosophy, but think if it as just one essential spice in the full rack of seasonings you need as a football fan. It is not bad in itself to be skeptical; that's why contracts have buyout clauses, and why you run background checks on employees before you hire them, and why we have contracts in the first place. Correction: that's why we have contracts to begin with, and unless you're Joe Paterno sealing the deal with a handshake as you have for the past 5,000 years as head coach of Penn State, you sign them for the benefit of everyone involved.
The bad kind of fear of the new in football stems from a mix of well-advised skepticism and stodgy loyalty to dying or dead ideas well past their prime. The Tennessee coaching search began with one of college football's stodgiest of traditionalists, Phil Fulmer, and the gradual decline of the Tennessee program. Tennessee did little new over the course of their long, slow slide from a national title Everest; in fact, they did what you are in many cases supposed to do, which is fix nothing that is not broken.
By rule, that is the skeptical thing to do: keep plugging away with what got you there.
It also runs counter to another important element in your arsenal: pragmatism. When devout communist Deng Xiaoping began to introduce elements of capitalism into the Maoist economy he inherited as Premier Leader of China, he was asked if this did not go contradictory to everything he had worked for in the Chinese Revolution. His answer: "It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.”
There's a mixed record on this in college football. Typically, big programs let mid-sized programs take the risks for them in hiring innovative coaches with "new" or "exotic" ways of doing things. West Virginia placed the first substantial bet on Rich Rodriguez. Utah plucked Urban Meyer out of the MAC and catapulted him into major program majordomo. Paul Johnson coached in D-2 for years before taking a service academy job where he was so successful with so little that he had be hired by a major program somewhere. Texas Tech, with nothing to lose, signed the architect of the offenses that pulled both Kentucky and Oklahoma from the mire of their respective conferences.
In each of these unconventional case studies in success, there are a few common threads.
Each of their systems is at root fundamentally sound, and based on very, very old concepts. Johnson's flexbone is an evolved version of several iterations of the old triple option and wishbone. Ditto for Rodriguez's system, which takes the option and spreads it wide across the entire field. Meyer's system is Rodriguez's system with some run 'n shoot passing and empty backfield thrown in, while the Red Raider air game morphs certain elements of the old Lavell Edwards/Norm Chow passing game with wide offensive line splits and a whiplash draw run game.
Every one of them depends on simplicity and variation. Oh, and practice. Each of the coaches mentioned is notorious for being sticklers on execution. None of them will perform Holtzian magic tricks in pep talks, but watch each of their offenses at their finest and note the precision that turns potentially dangerous offenses into the lethal variety. Exotic frippery of the schemes aside, they are all at their core about precision and execution, and the evidence comes in an even simpler form of documented success at multiple stops in their coaching careers.
Georgia Tech's gamble paid off to the tune of 472 yards rushing against Miami Thursday night. The Hurricanes entered the game as the 19th ranked rushing defense in the nation. They left Bobby Dodd Stadium as the 62nd ranked rush D in these United States. The Yellow Jackets, often condemned by many as doomed to struggle against schools without similar academic constraints, destroyed a team made up of the cream of South Florida's recruiting crop. They are ahead of schedule in their rebuild, and Paul Johnson's attention to detail and stern ethos are to credit, funky flexbone whiteboard schemes and all. GT's gamble, for the moment, has worked out in way making skepticism of the flexbone a more difficult position to hold by the day.
102876.jpg
Bringing us to Tennessee, a place so long on skepticism it may be an insult to call them conservative as a program. The leading candidate according to all concerned is Cincinnati's Brian Kelly, a fine coach with his own track record of winning at many different levels. Kelly is an adequate and very conventional choice. So is Mike Leach, the bandito behind Texas Tech's program. Kelly will likely nail the interview, look like a coach, sound like a coach, and promise everything the Vols would like to hear. Leach will look wrong in a suit and tie, possibly give some eyebrow-raising answers to the questions they ask him, and indeed could be too honest for his own good. (From some accounts, his interviews are sometimes bizarre and uncomfortable experiences.)
It would be a shame, though, if Tennessee ignored the need to season the mix with some pragmatism. Black cat, white cat ... Leach still catches mice, and if Tennessee doesn't nab him this year, someone else eventually will. Winning is a fundamental that never goes out of style, and one that wins over even the most hardened skeptic. Success for the gifted but eccentric is the easy part; not wearing the musical tie to the interview is the hard part for those who can't help but scare the normals a bit too much for their own good.

Holy War Preview: BYU at Utah

from The Mountain West Conference Connection by Jeremy

images
#14 (10-1)
images
#7 (11-0)

Rice Eccles Stadium 4PM MT TV:PT
This game is high definition if you are unaware, so great news since I am unable to be at the game. Everyone within the rivalry knows how nasty this can get between the fans, and the all the cliches are there with the church versus state and all that. This is as heated as Michigan/Ohio State, Texas/Texas A&M, Alabama/ Auburn, and others just not on the national scene.
Quick note as well is that this game is not being simulcasted as it has been in the past so the game is NOT on Versus and NOT on CBS College Sports, but only on the Mtn. So, unless you have your DirecTv guy installing tomorrow morning head out to a friend who has the station, order the sports pack from DirecTv to get the game, or find a local establishment to watch the game.
On to the preview, I will not bore the reader with stats, because both teams are pretty even in point production and with BYU it is thier offense which puts up more yards, but the Utes defense helps in scoring as well.
To start at the top with the quarterback position BYU’s Max Hall is the better deep passer and more polished in slinging the ball around, if he is given time. Utah’s Brian Johnson is good because he has finally started to run the option with force, and while his arm is not as strong can get the pass to the receiver. Also, if the game is on the line Brian Johnson is who I would want at quarterback, so far on the year he has won three games in the final minutes against Air Force, Oregon State, and TCU.
The Utes need Brian Johnson to play like he did against TCU with no turnovers if possible, but if he starts turning over the ball multiple times then BYU should be able to win comfortably.
The Utah running game of Matt Asiata, Darrell Mack, Eddie Wide, Brian Johnson, Corbin Louks and on occasion wide out Brent Casteel will be tough for BYU to defend. This rushing attack is similar to TCU who was able to run for five to seven yards a carry with bigger games all night, when the two played earlier in the year.
BYU’s secondary is not the strongest part, so look for BYU to not be able to put seven or eight guys up in the box to stop the run, because once the Cougar defensive backs and linebackers inch closers is when the Utes will use their run/pass option to throw the ball.
Look for Utah to run a lot of bubble screens and quick slant routes since the BYU secondary typically plays at least six yards or more off the line of scrimmage. This could be a cat and mouse game with the BYU secondary coverage to see if they will mix it up with zone coverage to disguise what they are running.
Last year the same was said about BYU’s secondary when they played second and third string players and they did fine, so the Utes should not underestimate the BYU secondary.
On offense for BYU they can score points and if Dennis Pitta is healthy at tight end that can only help BYU spread the ball between Austin Collie, Pitta, and David Nixon. The key thing BYU needs is for their offensive line to hold off Ute lineman Paul Kruger and others, because that matchup is the biggest mismatch of the game. With time Max Hall will be able to find Collie and others, but if it is anything like the TCU game where Hall was sacked six times and threw picks and fumbled BYU will be in trouble.
A problem BYU has on offense is that while their playmakers are very good, the play calling is predictable. The offense runs the same plays Harvey Unga runs up the middle, Austin Collie does a double fake but goes deep nearly every play, and Dennis Pitta does an in route to the middle of the field. Being predictable is what hurt them against TCU. BYU must mix up the plays and routes they run and they can be successful in Saturday’s game.
Special teams is huge and Utah has the edge here with Louie Sakoda who punts and kicks field goals, and there have been many times where he has pinned teams inside the five to give the field position edge to Utah, and Sakoda has made eight of ten from 40 yards or more. Also, the Utes have had success in the punt return game and look for a few big returns.
BYU will give Utah very few if any chances to return kickoffs with Justin Sorensen who kicks the ball outside of the field on most kick offs.
This is the best record between the two teams at 21-1 entering the Holy War and if the last three are any indication do not leave this game.
Final Score: Utah 27 BYU 20

Watch for falling objects around Cam Newton's dorm room

Like many people of my generation and profession, I can't remember much about life before the Internet, and I don't necessarily want to. I need the Web, and I need it mobile. If I didn't have a laptop to connect to the Internet, why, who knows what I might be liable to do ...
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:166184:" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360">Popout​
In desperate times, men do desperate things. Lie. Steal. Throw other people's high-priced electronics out of a three-story window. So before you judge Florida quarterback Cameron Newton for his multiple-felony arrest this afternoon, try to walk a mile in his huge, computer-less shoes:
Newton allegedly stole a Dell laptop from a UF student's dorm room and then threw it out of the window when UPD officers visited Newton's dorm today.
[...]
The officer found a black Dell laptop in Newton's room with the spelling "Cam Newton" in white letters on the lid, according to records.
The officers stepped away from Newton's room to call the student to see if serial numbers match, but the computer was gone when they returned, according to records. The computer was later found by a garbage dumpster outside of the Springs Complex. Newton's dorm was on the third floor of Springs.
Total damage: $1,700 for the computer, three felony charges of buglary, larceny and intimidating a witness, informant or victim (the report does not clarify this point) and one indefinite suspension from the team, which will probably last through the SEC Championship and spectacular bowl game. But Newton hasn't thrown a pass in a game since the closing minutes of the Hawaii blowout in the opener; how long can you expect a man-child to go without throwing something?

South Park and sluttty MSU girls in bathing suits drinking beer in the snow...just outstanding stuff...

Thanks, Pags, Azted, Throwback. Wondering now if the main attraction is the football articles or the girls. Or is it the one-stop shopping?

Back