CFB Week 13 (11/18-11/22) News and Picks

Bill Belichick and Urban Meyer Are Run Up the Score BFFs

from The FanHouse - NCAAfootball
by Will BrinsonFiled under: Florida, NCAA FB Coaching, NCAA FB Gossip
meyer.jpg
Usually it is college football coaches (*cough* Old Ball Coach *cough*) who are masters at running up the score -- the NFL has too much parity, generally speaking, to see most teams let the score get totally out of control. Except, of course, if we're talking about the 2007 New England Patriots.

Bill Belichick and Tom Brady, seemingly horrible victims of karmic restitution, mastered the art of embarrassing opponents last year en route to a perfect regular season record. So who better to dole out advice on how to manage a team hellbent on destruction to the suddenly white hot Florida Gators and Urban Meyer, coming off a 50 spanking of SEC "rival" South Carolina, than the hooded one himself?
Which explains why one of the voice mails on Urban Meyer's phone over the last 24 hours was from close friend and New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick. Florida has outscored opponents 299-63 since a Sept. 27 loss to Ole Miss, and its defense has risen to No. 6 in the nation.

[...]"I had a very nice call from Coach Belichick, and he said just make sure you stay on top of them because they are going to be hearing how good they are," Meyer said Sunday morning. "When you watch film, we still can be a lot better."
MUST. KILL. OPPONENT. MERCILESSLY ... Seems to be the theme here. Which may or may not explain why my personal preference for both Belichick and Meyer is to disdain them personally while respecting their ability to succeed at their craft.

And, honestly, it's not all that surprising that they're really good friends; they both happen to run dynastic football entities and like to beat other teams into the ground. I'm sure those phone calls are fun.

Muschamp to succeed Brown as Texas head coach

from Bevo Beat
University of Texas athletics director DeLoss Dodds announced Tuesday that Will Muschamp will remain as the Longhorns’ defensive coordinator and someday succeed Mack Brown as head coach.
“We want to keep Will Muschamp as our defensive coordinator at the University of Texas,” Dodds said. “We’ve decided to build our future from the inside.”
Brown said “there is no timetable” for Muschamp to succeed him. He said he intends to remain head coach “as long as I do the satisfaction of myself and the university.”
“I’m planning on Coach Brown being here a long, long time,” Dodds said.
Dodds said a new contract that’ll raise Muschamp’s salary to $900,000 has been agreed to in principle. Dodds would not say whether Muschamp had been offered a head coaching job elsewhere but said, “Recently, Coach Muschamp had chances. He’s in demand at other universities.”
Muschamp, thought to be a candidate for the current head coaching vacancies at Clemson, Tennessee and elsewhere, said he has had opportunities to be a head coach and “I was waiting for the right one. This is the best one.”
He said that “some things have come up” but that “nothing concrete” had been offered to him at other schools.
Muschamp said it was a no-brainer to accept the offer. “I don’t think Coach Brown got it out of his mouth before I said, ‘Yes,’ ” Muschamp said. “It’s like third-and-8: You make up your mind and you go.”
“This is an exciting day for me and my family. I think this is the best job in the country and that’s why I’m staying,” he said. “This is an elite job in the country.”
For now, he said, he’ll continue to do his job as the team’s defensive coordinator. “I don’t see my role being any different until Coach Brown decides to retire,” Muschamp said.
The arrangement is similar one that Florida State has set up for Bobby Bowden’s successor. The Seminoles brought in Jimbo Fisher as offensive coordinator with the intent of having him take over for Bowden.

Life on the Margins: Illinois, again, if you can believe that

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Matt Hinton
Obsessing over the statistical anomalies and minutiae of close and closer-than-they-looked games that could have gone the other way. Be careful before you judge these games by the final score alone ...
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-612489156-1227043675.jpg
It's always a little strange to break down a game you actually watched in the context of, "This was closer than the score," when it didn't really look closer than the score. Fumbles and block punts and such look much worse in person (that is, on television) than on paper, and no box score can adequately account for the gazelle-ishness of Terrelle Pryor or leapin' Beanie Wells.
It's hard to account for the madness of Juice Williams, too, a big part of the reason the Illini are on the wrong end of this feature for the second straight week and the third time in a little over a month. In fact, this week's numbers are slightly better than the Illin's production last week against Western Michigan. But the mistakes are the same: Williams fumbled early, setting up the Buckeyes for their first touchdown at the Illinois 19:
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dR4ovuilT7A&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
Later in the first quarter, OSU blocked a punt for a safety:
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/galpuI7IhE4&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
After which it took the excellent field position following a short free kick (from the Illini 44) to drive for another touchdown. In the second quarter, Williams was intercepted under pressure, negating a 70-yard drive:
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Rt2GXcAnRzY&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
Those are the really ugly, obvious moments that undermined most of the Illin's positives. But there was more: The offense punted once and then failed on downs after moving inside the Buckeye 40 in the second half. They had over 170 yards in the second quarter alone and came away with six points to show for it after settling for a couple field goals.
The total yardage difference can be explained by the fourth quarter, when the Illini outgained the Buckeyes in garbage time 123-21 with game essentially out of reach. But it was out of reach despite comparable offensive production to that point because of the early turnovers and the failure to convert scoring chances into touchdowns. By now, there's nothing misleading about this for the future, because turnovers and blown shots in the red zone aren't anomalies for this team: The same template has accounted for have of Illinois' losses. It's finished in the red in turnover margin in five of six losses. As I said Saturday, it's getting a little late in the game to ask Juice to grow out of being Juice. You might as well extend that sentiment to the

Will Muschamp Officially Named 'Head Coach in Waiting' at Texas Once Mack Brown Retires

from The FanHouse - NCAAfootball
by Will BrinsonFiled under: Texas, Big 12, NCAA FB Coaching
Will Muschamp is known for many things: coaching tenacious defensive units; being, um, enthusiastic on the sidelines; and also being extremely, extremely patient in waiting to take a head coaching position at any university.

And now he will also be known as the Head Coach in Waiting at the University of Texas.
The University of Texas has struck an agreement with Defensive Coordinator Will Muschamp that will keep him in Austin and eventually lead him to the head coaching position for the Longhorns, Athletics Director DeLoss Dodds said on Tuesday. Details of the contract are still being finalized but it will start with Muschamp's salary being raised to $900,000 on January 1, 2009.

"This is a plan that has been enthusiastically agreed to by Mack Brown, President Powers and the Board of Regents," Dodds said. "With the landscape in college football and all of the changes around the country, I've been looking at this for the last couple of years. When it's not working, you have to go outside and make changes. Things are going well here, it's working, so it's best to be prepared to build from inside and that's what we're doing.
These HCiW gigs are kind of all the rage these days, but in this case, I tend to think it makes a lot of sense. Muschamp is universally regarded as a stud-in-waiting when it comes to head coaching abilities, he's had success everywhere he's been and he's said before that he's not yet ready for a head coaching position.

Notre Dame is going to the Gator Bowl

from Fanblogs.com by Kevin Donahue
The Gator Bowl folks won't say it outloud, but its almost a lock that Notre Dame is headed to the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville to face off against not-even-Nostradamus-can-predict-who from the ACC. (Actually, that ACC opponent isn't much of a secret either, but I digress.)
The reason I can be so certain, even though I have no affiliation (real or imaginary) with the Gator Bowl and/or Notre Dame? It's two-fold.
#1 - The Gator Bowl had it's 39th best (read: 24th worst) attendance last year for the Virginia - Texas Tech game. The announced crowd was more than 17,000 short of capacity... and that was the ANNOUNCED attendance. The bowl, with just two games remaining on existing contracts, needs to guarantee some attendance & viewership and -- in college football -- that means Notre Dame.
On a side note, this is also why the Gator Bowl may make any deal necessary to ensure Florida State or Miami ends up in Jacksonville, as well. Remember, the bowl committee still harbors some issues with the ACC for moving the championship game. There's an undercurrent there and the ACC needs to make nice with the Gator Bowl committee. A deal will get done for the Noles or Canes. I'm almost certain of it.
#2 - The Gator Bowl's crazy love-triangle conference affiliations (Big East, Big 12, & Notre Dame) provide for the Gator Bowl to take a Big 12 team and a Big East/Notre Dame in the two remaining years of its contract. Since the Big 2 of the Big 12 aren't available this season, the Gator Bowl would take a bowl-eligible Notre Dame over any team from the Big East, as per reason #1 above. There's no doubt that the Gator Bowl would love to get a Texas or Oklahoma in the game, but they can roll the dice this year and hope to get lucky in 2009.

So... while nothing is official until... it's official, I'm here to tell you it's official, for all intents and purposes.

Will Muschamp will be the next head coach of the Texas Longhorns

from Bevo Sports by Brian
In exciting breaking news, the Texas Longhorns have announced that defensive coordinator Will Muschamp will stay at Texas and will eventually succeed MacK Brown as head coach. Thoughts and predictions on the future of the Texas coaching staff will come later, but the university release is below:
The University of Texas has struck an agreement with Defensive Coordinator Will Muschamp that will keep him in Austin and eventually lead him to the head coaching position for the Longhorns, Athletics Director DeLoss Dodds said on Tuesday. Details of the contract are still being finalized but it will start with Muschamp’s salary being raised to $900,000 on January 1, 2009.
“This is a plan that has been enthusiastically agreed to by Mack Brown, President Powers and the Board of Regents,” Dodds said. “With the landscape in college football and all of the changes around the country, I’ve been looking at this for the last couple of years. When it’s not working, you have to go outside and make changes. Things are going well here, it’s working, so it’s best to be prepared to build from inside and that’s what we’re doing.
“Mack has provided outstanding leadership and continues to elevate our football program to a level as high as anyone in the country. We hope he stays a long time and he will be our coach as long as he wants, but this assures us that when the time comes, we have the right guy to step up into that position and continue to build on the great things we’re accomplishing.”
Muschamp joined the Longhorns this season after highly successful stints at Auburn, LSU and in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins. As defensive coordinator, he helped LSU claim a National Championship in 2004. He was a finalist for the Broyles Award (nation’s top assistant coach) in 2007.
“This is first and foremost about keeping Will at Texas,” Brown said. “He’s had several opportunities to interview for head coaching jobs, but we wanted him to stay here. I’m going to continue coaching as I’m enjoying it. I have eight years left on my contract, I am not thinking at all about moving on, it’s simply that I think Will is a great young coach, a perfect fit for this place and he wants to stay. Nothing will change in our structure. He will continue in his role as defensive coordinator and when the time comes, will be ready to step in and take over the program.
“Everything we’ve talked about since we’ve been here, the premise of our program, has been about family. This is about family. When at some point I do step away, the fans can be assured the program can continue like it is. It will not miss a beat because the family will continue. Will believes in all the same principles we believe in. This assures recruits, our coaches and our players that Texas football will just keep on rolling.”
Muschamp’s Longhorn defense is leading the Big 12 in rushing defense (82.5 ypg/25th NCAA) and scoring defense (19.5 ppg/25th NCAA). UT ranks second nationally with four sacks per game. The Horns have held all of their Big 12 opponents below their season scoring average and limited six foes to 14 points or less.
“I was really excited when they presented the opportunity to me,” Muschamp said. “I’m not in any hurry to be a head coach and hope Coach Brown’s around for many more years. I’m just glad I’m going to be able to stay at Texas. This is the top program in the country, my family loves it here and there’s no better person to watch and learn from about running a football program than Coach Brown.
“President Powers, DeLoss Dodds, the administration and the leadership at Texas are outstanding. Coach Brown and a great support staff are in place. I’ve really enjoyed the kids in our program and everyone I’ve been around here. Texas has all the resources, facilities and a great recruiting base. It is the elite program in the country. No disrespect to any of the other places I’ve worked, but this is a really special place.”
A native of Rome, Ga., and 1994 graduate of Georgia, he was four-year lettermen at safety for the Bulldogs (1991-94). He was selected as defensive co-captain as a senior and was a part of two bowl teams. He also earned a spot on the SEC Academic Honor Roll in 1993.
“When I first came here in January and my wife, Carol, and boys, Jackson and Whit, stayed back in Auburn, I got such a great feel for the community and people. When Carol and the kids moved here in May, they fell in love with Austin. If I would have left, I would have left on my own because she was staying here. She really loves the community and the people, and our kids love their schools. It’s just a special place and somewhere I want to be for a long time.
“I really appreciate the confidence that President Powers, DeLoss Dodds, the Board of Regents and Coach Brown have in me. I hope Coach Brown is here for a long time and look forward to continuing to coach our defense, learning from him and eventually carrying on the outstanding Texas tradition.”

Texas ruins coaching searches across America, locks up Will Muschamp as Mack Brown's heir apparent

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-540126351-1227047200.jpg
Every message board for every open job in the country from Washington to Clemson and beyond -- including a lot of jobs that aren't open, at least not yet -- has an "OMG Will Muschamp Boom!" faction. In fact, when Clemson fired Tommy Bowden, the journeyman defensive coordinator was the first name that came up, and one of the first thoughts I had was, "They're moving early to get at Muschamp."
These are sad, sad people this afternoon, as Texas, being Texas (that is, wallowing around on a huge pile of money), taps into a gusher to keep its man in the fold for the foreseeable future:
The University of Texas has struck an agreement with Defensive Coordinator Will Muschamp that will keep him in Austin and eventually lead him to the head coaching position for the Longhorns, Athletics Director DeLoss Dodds said on Tuesday. Details of the contract are still being finalized but it will start with Muschamp's salary being raised to $900,000 on January 1, 2009.​
Boom, etc. $900,000 is an outrageous mint for any assistant -- Muschamp was already the second highest-paid coordinator in the country at a measly $500,000, behind Florida State coach-in-waiting Jimbo Fisher -- but Texas fans are justifiably jacked, because Muschamp/Future Muschamp is worth every penny. Recognize this for the coup it is: UT just locked down the most sought-after head coaching prospect in the country, with the chance to actually groom him specifically for the role while Mack Brown takes his sweet time to amble off to the ranch.
This is why it pays -- literally -- to be the richest athletic department in the country. Until Horn partisans start quietly clamoring for Mack to step aside already in 2010, then loudly clamoring, until it finally tears the fan base into Boomers and Mackers and fights break out in the stands. They'll jump that ditch when they come to it: Until then, it's the best succession plan money can buy.

Texas Buys a Booming Future

from The Sporting Blog
Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp is the Boom King. (Language: awesome, but NSFW.) Correction: the prince-in-waiting of BOOM, a status made official by the University of Texas today when it announced their intentions to make Will Muschamp the next head coach at Texas, eventually succeeding current Longhorns coach Mack Brown.
muschampqh8.jpg

This might not happen until 2009 if you follow the money, and perhaps not for a while after that. Muschamp's salary will bump to $900K after January of 2009, his first year in training wheels, but the vague timelines built into the deal are intentional and flexible. The move accomplishes several things simultaneously, and all of them are completely flipping brilliant.

1. It answers succession questions and addresses issues of long-term stability. Mack Brown owns the Texas high school recruiting scene, and will be able to answer the questions of long-term program stability and his own advancing age by introducing a dynamic young name like Muschamp. "People who give me whatever mutant athletes I want, Will; Will, people who give me whatever athletes I want. Nice to introduce you two." The pay isn't head coach pay--yet--but the on-the-job training and benefits package is going to be insane.2. Muschamp is awesome. Muschamp is one of the pre-eminent defensive coaches in the game and carries with him a mean pedigree of mentors and laurels: stints under Nick Saban, Tommy Tuberville, and his time under Brown come with national and conference titles and NFL experience to boot. His current Texas defense went from sieve-like good manners in 2007 to leading the Big 12 in scoring defense, no mean feat given the offenses prowling the Big 12 South alone. He's passionate. He seems impervious to pain. He once taped a broken headset to his skull with trainer's tape to call plays when he was at Valdosta State. He tends to be somewhat intense about this football thing.

3. Other teams knew Muschamp was awesome, and now he's staying.
Muschamp was associated with a slew of openings across the country, most notably the Tennessee and Clemson jobs. Paying for talent now saves Texas financial and political headaches down the road.

Combined with offensive coordinator Greg Davis eventually ceding playcalling to assistant Major Applewhite, the kids' table of coaching is sitting with the adults, and will be cutting their own turkey soon enough in a seamless turnover of power. In summary: BRILLIANT!!! Cocktails all around on smoothly played HR moves from the boys in Austin.

Evening Brewsky Says BOOM! Forever!

from Burnt Orange Nation by GhostofBigRoy
hornbullet.gif
The Boom shall resonate indefinitely about the ATX. Even more than eight hours after hearing the news that everyone's favorite Youtube legend will be the next head coach of the Texas Longhorns (the money quote: "If I had left Austin, my wife would have stayed here."), when Mack Brown decides to mosey on over to the AD's office. There's no doubt that speculation about the length of Muschamp's stay began before the ink even dried on his contract. As did questions about a possible Muschamp ascendancy, or even the possible replacements.
Earlier in the day, I found myself wondering if the now-unemployed Greg Robinson might find his way back into a more flattering shade of orange. After all, I still credit Robinson's intensity in 2004 with Cedric Griffin's effort knocking Ohio State's tight end free of the potentially game-clinching catch in the Horseshoe.
That idle speculation was spectacularly silenced. Beyond the new rounds of speculation about how long Mack Brown will remain head coach (and the impact of this decision on Major Applewhite), the immediate question his how the announcement impacts the 2009 recruiting class. The first subject to consider is Jamarkus McFarland, whom I discuss later. After McFarland, though, consider that Texas still has offers out-of-staters and nationally elite defenders like corner Dre Kirkpatrick, defensive end Devon Kennard, and linebacker Jarvis Jones, which constitute the majority of outstanding UT offers for '09. Retaining Muschamp could be the final selling point for Austin.
hornbullet.gif
Note to Steve Reesing. Last week, I wrote about Steve Reesing's irritation that the Longhorns didn't show interest in recruiting his son. Perhaps the man had a disturbing brush with reality Saturday morning as his son was outclassed by the Longhorn defense. Just as Will Muschamp and his merry band of marauders the Longhorns shut down Chase Daniel, the mostly second-team group of christian Scott, Sam Acho, Eddie Jones, and Kheeston Randall harassed Reesing into a 25-50 performance complete with four dropped interceptions by the Longhorns. The Lake Travis product resembled a frustrated hobbit as defender after defender clogged his passing lanes and forced him to throw ducks into the gusting wind like they were clays he was about to shoot down. When a quarterback would have no chance at moving the offense in practice against the first-team defense, you know that quarterback doesn't belong. And that describes Todd Reesing and dreams of a burnt orange uniform: They don't belong together. Sorry, Steve.
hornbullet.gif
OU and UT battle for McFarland. As blazinken noted, the three-team race between LSU, OU, and Texas for the services of uber-recruit Jamarkus McFarland is now down to OU and Texas ($). There were rumors circulating that McFarland had taken LSU out of consideration after he and his family observed the, uh, debauchery associated with home games in Baton Rouge. However, McFarland has never been on the record substantiating that rumor, but did say that he eliminated LSU because of their depth at defensive tackle, while acknowledging that he may renew his consideration of LSU, if necessary.
OU has six defensive tackles listed on their roster (including Casey Walker, a 6-3, 285-pounder listed as a defensive lineman) and only one of them is a senior. Starters DeMarcus Granger is a junior, while Gerald McCoy is a sophomore, which means that McFarland is unlikely to compete for a starting job at OU next year. Meanwhile, Texas loses two of the three its three best defensive tackles (Roy Miller and Aaron Lewis graduating, while Lamarr Houston is a junior), meaning McFarland could start as soon as he walks on campus, although since he is Student Council President, he will not be able to enroll in the spring semester. He would likely compete with Ben Alexander, Kheeston Randall, and Jarvis Humphrey for the starting job opposite Lamarr Houston, none of whom have played much in their careers. If it comes down to playing time, Texas seems to have the edge.
hornbullet.gif
Anyone for point guard? Perhaps the most pressing issue facing the 2008-09 Texas basketball team is the point guard situation. DJ Augustin accounted for 25% of the Longhorns' points, 24% of the made three-pointers, 42% of the assists, attempted 30% of the team's free throws, and was a 78% free-throw shooter on a team that shot 68% from the line. In fact, taking out AJ Abrams (81%) and Augustin, the team shot 61%, which is not good at all. Beyond the stats, Augustin provided intangible leadership qualities that can't be quantified, as well as handling the ball and taking shots at the end of games.
According to awiggo, AJ Abrams isn't the solution, since he still has a score-first mentality. I'm not sure if Abrams is the answer, either, but I think he deserves more opportunity than a game against Stetson before settling the discussion entirely. Ultimately, the greatest factor in the decision may be Abrams' ability to space the floor with his three-point shooting, the reason for his banishment to running the baseline and spotting in the corner.
With Abrams off the ball, Mason was able to run the offense effectively in the first game, much as he ran the offense effectively in the rare instances that Augustin sat. Mason's three-point shooting is so inconsistent that he doesn't stretch the floor as well as Abrams, meaning that he may be better serve the team by handling the ball. He also won't confuse his duties as much as Abrams, who will be asked to distribute and score will being the primary ball-handler. Instead, Mason will be asked to initiate the offense and feed the post.
The unknown quantity in this discussion is Dogus Balbay, who played in his first game as a Longhorn on Tuesday evening after serving a one-game suspension for his participation with a Turkish professional team. Balbay is known as a quick, "pure" point guard, who will likely be the catalyst for any Longhorn transition game this season. Augustin was an excellent decision-making on the break and that attribute could be as hard to replace as his myriad other contributions to the team.
Ultimately, each of the three candidates will likely run the team for stretches over the course of the season. Even when not playing point guard, Rick Barnes will likely involve Abrams more as a ball-handler and playmaker than the last two seasons, utilizing strategies like more dribble handoffs. Look for Balbay to receive significant minutes in the easier non-conference games to establish his capabilities and help him adjust to the collegiate game. If none of the three distances himself from the others, it could be point guard by committee the whole season.
hornbullet.gif
Quick thoughts on the Tulane game and Balbay. I wrote the above passage last evening before finding myself otherwise occupied until now. After watching the team for the first time, it's clear that Balbay creates the most dynamic transition opportunities, as he displayed excellent vision as a passer, but also the knowledge to hit teammates in rhythm and in spots where they could finish. He also got to the rim, finishing well on several plays, but missing one layup and losing the ball when caught between dunking and laying it up. Regardless, as watching the OU-Davidson game (thoughts below) illustrated, putting your best shooter on the ball makes it harder for that player to search his shot, which impacts how much point guard Abrams will play.
The defense. Wow. How refreshing to see a Texas basketball team finally being able to get after it man-to-man. For the first time since the 2003-04, which seems a great comparison because of the depth of both teams and the loss from the preceeding year of the playmaking point guard (Ford and Augustin, respectively). Tulane often struggled to get the ball past the three-point line against the swarming Longhorn defense. Texas pressured, trapped, applied ball pressure, played passing lanes, and maintained positional defense on the rare occasions when the defense broke down. Coming from Indiana, I love the fundamentals of basketball and appreciate a defender maintaining position and verticality to force a tough shot as much as a perfectly stroked jump shot. The defense displayed against Tulane was truly the essence of a Rick Barnes basketball team.
hornbullet.gif
KD checks out Curry, Warren, and Griffin. Kevin Durant found his way into the Lloyd Noble Center to watch the OU-Davidson tilt and marvel at the performances of Stephen Curry (44 points) and Blake Griffin (big-boy double-double with 25 and 21), who were both transcendent (no word on if KD threw his horns up at any point). As I mentioned above, the Davidson team moved Curry, the prolific scorer, to point guard this season after losing Jason Richards, who ran the team last season. As a result, the Davidson offense often struggled, as Curry sometimes forced his shots and at other times never found the ball in his hands again after initiating the offense. Good example of what could happen to AJ Abrams this year.
As a Chicago Bulls fan (before winning the lottery), I spent a lot of time hoping that Blake Griffin would declare for the NBA Draft after his freshman season. After watching him against Davidson, there's no doubt that the kid is ready for the NBA. To use a stupid cliche, he's a man amongst boys, leading Fran Fraschilla, not normally prone to hyperbole, to compare Griffin to Amare Stoudamire. Griffin, while not the outside shooter Stoudamire has become, still showed off his new bank shot from an angle a la Tim Duncan, and displayed the power/speed combination that makes Stoudamire so unique. Combine that with the tenacity to bring down any rebound in his zip code (Griffin totaled 40 rebounds in the last two days) and a handle that could put some wings to shame and there's no doubt that Griffin could find himself the No. 1 pick in the spring.
Final thought on OU: With super frosh Willie Warren (quite impressive), the solid Taylor Griffin playing sidekick to his older brother Blake, OU has a legitimate Big 12 contender on their hands. The rest of the squad may mostly be filler, but rest assured that the two Texas-OU battles in basketball will approach the fervor of the Cotton Bowl as much as it ever has.

SF Chronicle: Cal needs more from offensive line

from California Golden Bear Football News by Dave
Rusty Simmons
Link.
Cal was looking for a miracle, down by six points with less than a minute to drive from the shadow of its own goal line. Instead, it got more of the same, allowing Oregon State's defensive line to rush quarterback Kevin Riley, who threw an interception. The Bears allowed the Beavers on Saturday to get consistent pressure on Riley, and they know it can't happen again in this weekend's Big Game. Stanford is tied with Oregon for the conference lead with 33 sacks for losses totaling 237 yards. "We know our offense starts with the guys up front, and we've got to get better," senior right guard Noris Malele said. "You're either getting better or you're getting worse. We take pride in pass blocking and opening holes for our running backs, and we're going to work our tails off to get back to that." Cal has allowed nine sacks in the last two games after allowing 13 in the first eight. Last year's offensive line yielded only 11 sacks, and the 2006 unit allowed 13. Offensive coordinator Frank Cignetti did everything he could to stop Oregon State's exploitation of the Cal offensive line. He designed plays that included a moving pocket, called for draws and screens in hopes of beating the over-pursuit and even used tight ends as extra blockers at times.
Still, Oregon State's front was dominant. On the 34 pass plays called, Riley was pressured 21 times. He was forced to scramble once, was sacked five times, hit seven other times and hurried eight times. In fairness, the Bears aren't exactly lining up the players they thought they would be for the stretch run of the season. They lost tackle Mike Tepper to a torn pectoral muscle before training camp, lost guard Chris Guarnero to season-ending toe surgery in Week 3 and lost tackle Chet Teofilo to season-ending ankle surgery four weeks later. With Malele sidelined by an ankle injury for the majority of the last four weeks, Cal has been forced to start two redshirt freshmen, a walk-on sophomore and a junior-college transfer. "You've got to play the cards that you're dealt," Malele said. "It's been tough, but you can't take anything away from the guys who are filling in. They've stepped up and they're competing." Redshirt freshmen Mitchell Schwartz, a tackle, and Justin Cheadle, a guard, were part of a highly decorated recruiting class that is paying off earlier than expected. Schwartz was so good early in the season that the coaches moved him to the left side to protect the quarterbacks' blind sides. Coaches say Cheadle has been steady in his efforts.
Mark Boskovich, a walk-on guard from St. Francis High-Mountain View, has had his struggles. He was passed on the depth chart by Guarnero and walk-on Richard Fisher during the offseason, only to find himself back in the rotation. After a good game against UCLA in his first extended playing time, sophomore right tackle Donovan Edwards was abused by Oregon State's Victor Butler. Cal actually wanted Edwards to stay at Diablo Valley College to gain another year of experience, but they offered him a scholarship when one opened right before camp. Butler bulled and motored past Edwards time and again, and Edwards also got beat by backup Ben Terry on the game-clinching interception. "Those guys are getting in there and battling, and their growth and development will continue," coach Jeff Tedford said. "They all work hard, and they all care. Each week, they'll continue to improve."

SF Chronicle: Stanford's offense must adjust to Cal's defense

from California Golden Bear Football News by Dave
Link.
Cal's 3-4 defensive alignment isn't foreign to Stanford. Notre Dame played it earlier this season. Heck, Stanford played it for much of the past few seasons before making a full switch to the 4-3 this season.
But the Bears' defense ranks among the best in the Pac-10 - fourth in total defense (315.0 yards per game), third in scoring defense (21.9 points per game), fourth in rush defense (124.3 yards per game) and fifth in pass defense (190.7 yards per game). Cal is second in the nation in interceptions with 18. Stanford struggled against Notre Dame's defense for much of its game Oct. 4, scoring just seven points through three quarters and eventually falling 28-21. Quarterback Tavita Pritchard was sacked a season-high five times. "Cal's 3-4 is particularly strong," Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh said. "They are particularly good up the middle. They have tremendous personnel to play the 3-4. I think that was a very wise move for their team, and it's helped them very much." Center Alex Fletcher said it's an adjustment for the offensive line, but a manageable one. "We have a bunch of older guys who've played against our 3-4 at practice for years, so we have experience, that helps," Fletcher said. "But their defense is the strength of their team, no question. Their front-seven is very good."
Home for the holidays: Gary Cavalli, executive director of the Emerald Bowl, has looked at all the scenarios and concluded there is a good chance either Stanford or Cal will wind up in the Dec. 27 game at San Francisco's AT&T Park. "We would love to have either one," Cavalli said. "It would be a dream come true."
The Emerald Bowl matches the fourth- or fifth-place Pac-10 team against a team from the Atlantic Coast Conference. Discounting the unlikely possibility of USC losing either of its final two games or of Cal losing its Dec. 6 game against Washington, Cavalli said there are 24 different scenarios of how Pac-10 teams could finish. In 12 of those scenarios either Cal or Stanford would end up in the Emerald Bowl. "It fills the place and gives us a lot of local exposure," Cavalli said. Cavalli diplomatically sidestepped the question of whether he would take Cal or Stanford if both were available to him.
Feeding the Ravens: Harbaugh said that he is hoping that his brother, Baltimore Ravens head coach John Harbaugh, will take a look at some of his players in next spring's NFL draft. "My brother follows our team very closely; he watches, listens, watches tape when he can't see the game live," Jim Harbaugh said. "He's very tuned into our team, and he's asked me about guys. I am very hopeful that we can get a few guys on the Ravens." Harbaugh named Fletcher, running back Anthony Kimble, cornerback Wopamo Osaisai, kicker Aaron Zagory and left tackle Ben Muth as potential NFL talents. "We've got some guys," Harbaugh said. "Hopefully we get them playing in Baltimore."
Cal commitment: Alex Logan, a three-star defensive back from Denver's Mullen High, verbally committed to Cal late Monday night. Logan is among the top 25 safeties in the country, according to most recruiting Web sites. Cal sophomore offensive guard Chris Guarnero, who also attended Mullen, was the first Colorado native to sign under coach Jeff Tedford.
Giving thanks: Family and friends of former Cal and current Buffalo Bills running back Marshawn Lynch will be giving out free turkeys at 3 p.m. Sunday at Oakland Tech High. Birds will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis in the front of Lynch's former high school. Although Lynch will not attend because the Bills are playing the Kansas City Chiefs, a personalized note will be given out with each turkey.
TV: Saturday's USC-Stanford game was the most-watched football game ever on the Versus cable network. The game earned national rating of a 1.0, which means it was watched by more than a million viewers nationally. The Bay Area rating on Versus was a 3.0. ... The Cal-Washington game on Dec. 6 will kick off at noon, and be shown on CSNBA.
Briefly: Cal sophomore tailback Jahvid Best was a full participant in Tuesday night's practice, a rare occurrence since he injured his foot Oct. 18. ... Cal safety Brett Johnson (shoulder) sat out practice. ... A man running bleachers in Memorial Stadium was forced to remove his red shirt because it is Big Game week.

ASHLEY JUDD WATCHES HER WILDCATS LOSE TO NORTH CAROLINA

ashley.jpg

As die hard a fan as Ashley Judd is, even she was probably disgusted at Kentucky's awful performance in Chapel Hill. In fact, in the picture above, I believe her exact words are "What the F&*$"

17 first half turnovers and 28 turnovers in all. UK is 0-2 for the first time in God knows how long and frankly, things are looking very good.

So why did they hire Gillespie again? Actually, who cares, I'd rather just look at pics of Ashley.

Posted by World of Isaac at 1:50 AM

Move Over Victoria’s Secret, here is the Ed Hardy Intimates Fashion Show

Now, I would like to start by saying that I throughly enjoy the Victoria Secret Fashion show. However, I have to say that it does get a little boring after a while. Unbelievably attractive chicks walking around in lingerie I have seen many times before, BORING! Okay, not really, but I did really enjoy this Ed Hardy Intimates Fashion a little bit more than the Victoria Secret Show. It could be the hotness of the chicks combined with their undeniable trashiness. Here are the pics so you can make your own decision:
Here’s our host, Tami Donaldson:

AAG-00797840485.jpg

AAG-00800140085.jpg

AAG-00801736685.jpg

AAG-00801141785.jpg

AAG-00804039185.jpg

AAG-00798040385.jpg

AAG-00800343085.jpg

AAG-00803138185.jpg

AAG-00802542385.jpg

AAG-00799140085.jpg

AAG-00804438885.jpg

AAG-00798740485.jpg

AAG-00803340585.jpg

AAG-00798640085.jpg

AAG-00798250085.jpg

AAG-00801840785.jpg

AAG-00804340485.jpg

Pimp tested, Jesus approved:
AAG-00799643685.jpg

AAG-00798345585.jpg

If you haven’t seen this Tami Donaldson chick, who won Miss Maxim USA 2006, I suggest you take a look at her site and this fantastic picture:

The Angry T

Headlinin': Suddenly, everything's coming up Dabo

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-715765406-1227104492.jpg
Spiller: Dabo stays or C.J. goes. Tuesday was a banner day for Dabo Swinney's quest to remove the 'interim' from the front of his title at Clemson: Not only did Texas yank fan favorite Will Muschamp out of the running, but earlier in the day, Swinney earned the most important endorsement possible outside of Clemson's administration, from C.J. Spiller:
Spiller, a possible first-round NFL draft pick in April, said he would return to Clemson for his senior season if Swinney is retained.
"He’s the one who brought me in here, and I really hope he comes back," Spiller said.
In another report ($) Spiller is even more point-blank: "If Coach Swinney comes back, No. 28 comes back." Complete with Heisman campaign, according to Swinney, who must have a lot more in store for C.J. than he has so far this season.
Sam McGuffie is a Sad McGuffie. Rich Rodriguez had to deal with one massive round of attrition when he took the Michigan job, and the departure of receiver Zion Babb looks like only the first of many dominoes to fall as the Wolverines' Season From Hell comes to a merciful -- though apparently turbulent -- end. The Michigan papers aren't touching anything that doesn't come straight from the mouth of a player or someone with a title, but very confident, multiply-sourced rumors online are predicting more defections after the Ohio State game, including ... no, wait ... never mind, yeah, including Sam McGuffie, the great white freshman running back hope who ends the year buried behind Brandon Minor and Carlos Brown.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-712811254-1227104517.jpg
Not that any of that matters Saturday, according to ESPN talking heads dropping by Kirk Herbstreit's Columbus radio show before Saturday's anticlimax, including ex-Buckeye Chris Spielman, who said, "They stink ... I love seeing them being down like this," and Herbstreit himself, who more diplomatically noted, "I think they're just looking forward to getting the season over." Way to go out on a limb, Kirk. When Desmond Howard joined his colleagues to defend his alma mater's honor, his best defense was, 'What alma mater?' -- "This isn't Michigan, this is like Michigan Tech." That sideline Saturday afternoon is going to be very sad.
Noles be brawlin', I was innocent edition. Florida State receiver Bert Reed knows from suspensions -- he'd already been sat down on two separate occasions this year before joining four other FSU wideouts on the bench against Boston College for last week's brawl with a fraternity -- and he was shocked to be among the casualties of the latest row:
''I really didn't think my name would get mixed up in it too much like it did,'' said Reed, the first of the five players to publicly discuss the incident. "I was trying to be the mediator in the whole thing.''
Mixed up in it is mixed up in it when the consequences start to roll, though there are still no charges in the fight a full week later.
Quickly ... ESPN finalized its much-discussed deal to broadcast BCS games from 2011-14. ... Urban Meyer's daughter Nicki, of bikini beach fame, will play volleyball at Georgia Tech. ... Speaking of players coming and going, a new Web site is dedicated to keeping Matt Stafford and Knowshon Moreno at Georgia for one more year. ... Disappointing Purdue QB Curtis Painter will start his final game Saturday against Indiana. ... Steve Kragthorpe received the dreaded vote of confidence from Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich, and the commenters are not happy. ... A Charleston Southern running back and three former players were arrested on charges of armed robbery, for $30. ... West Virginia center Mike Dent might miss the rest of the season with a pinched nerve in his neck. ... Bob Stoops is imploring Sooners fans to make it loud against Texas Tech. ... Kendall Hunter's knee injury remains a mystery to Oklahoma State. ... And if you can't field a good football team in the state, at least you can send in your jokes.

IGN Final Four Vote: 6 Feet of Twisted Steel & Sex Appeal

from Hugging Harold Reynolds by noreply@blogger.com (Hugging Harold Reynolds)
As we did yesterday, we again throw our weight behind another of the fine ladies in InGameNow's World's Hottest Athlete Final Four.

This time we wholeheartedly endorse former Nitro Girl Stacey Keibler (and her fine Baldimore accent) over Blair O’Neal.

<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UWP0bhvzcro&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout

FURTHER MUSCHAMP FALLOUT

from Every Day Should Be Saturday by Orson Swindle
Texas fans were very, very excited about Will Mushamp. How excited? This was the picture posted on Orangebloods on the announcement thread.

In Texas, it usually comes back to some kind of penis metaphor or another. One of the interesting angles in terms of the timing of the announcement, as pointed out by reader and ace tipster Dave, is that the announcement thrusts–er, sorry–puts Texas in the media spotlight in a week when the loving eyes of the voters will be on Texas Tech and Oklahoma. If they all tie, the winner comes down to BCS rankings, which despite the intervention of loving but logical robot computers still comes down largely to pole–er–poll voters.
Mack Brown has been happy to softshoe for votes and BCS points before, a move that infuriated Cal fans whose team was snubbed by the BCS in favor of the Longhorns. Cal went on to play none other than Texas Tech, who tore the intestines out of Cal, strangled them with them, and then slingshot them into wilderness for the wolves to feast on as they liked.
Horrible post-post-post-grunge music aside, the 2005 Holiday Bowl highlights are worth watching for some vintage Trev and Ron Franklin, as well as the carnage of Texas Tech running hot knives through a buttery Cal defense.

<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UTAH-WdZyq4&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout

Cincinnati's Brian Kelly has become the leading candidate for the Vols' head coaching job,...

from Rocky Top Talk by Joel
Cincinnati's Brian Kelly has become the leading candidate for the Vols' head coaching job, according to a source inside the Tennessee football program.
GoVolsXtra - Ask Griff
Griffith also has this to say about Mike Leach: " Mike Leach still has his name thrown around, but I don't see it. No one is going to come into the SEC and win with Xs and Os - it takes talent, not gadgets.
And, I just don't see Leach (47) being able to handle the level of scrutiny that comes with the UT head football coach job. It's a regal position - hardly a post for someone with erratic and eccentric personality traits."
Gadgets? Right. And if Tennessee can't handle a little eccentricity, well, I'd say that may be part of the problem.

ESPN should probably keep Chris Spielman away from Michigan games from now on

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-460675483-1227113847.jpg
I touched on their quotes this morning in a different context -- Michigan's unprecedented badness and impending implosion heading into the Ohio State game -- but I wanted to come back to Chris Spielman's comments Tuesday on Kirk Herbstreit's radio show in Columbus, especially in light of the two Michigan games he's worked this year, against Michigan State and Penn State. It's one thing to say "Michigan is bad." This is an objective statement: Michigan is 3-8. You can call them the worst team in Michigan history; Desmond Howard almost disowned his alma mater on the same show, calling the current Wolverines "Michigan Tech" and suggesting patience with Rich Rodriguez might be growing thin. Howard happens to be in a position to know this is probably true, and within objective editorial bounds. Kirk Herbstreit, who will still get excited at Ohio State games and occasionally put his bawling children on national television in Buckeye gear, is the reigning master of walking the line between a legitimate editorial statement like "Michigan is bad" and the unacceptable "I hate Michigan." Take this statement from Tuesday's show, for example:
"I think they're just looking forward to getting the season over and hitting the recruiting," Herbstreit said.
Yeah, they probably are. Michigan fans can probably agree with that. Let's get on to recruiting.
Another former Buckeye, Chris Spielman, has been calling games for ESPN for a while now, including quite a few Michigan games, especially when he partnered with Pam Ward in the early afternoon Big Ten slot before joining Sean McDonough's roving team last year. But he hasn't quite bridged that gap between passion, which comes in second to testosterone in "Things Chris Spielman Exudes," and analysis. His comments on Herbstreit's show started off alright:
"[The Wolverines] stink, they're not very good. They don't play offense ... they can't run it consistently, they can't throw it consistently, they can't stop the run, they're not very good defending the pass, they're not very good covering kicks, they're not very good returning kicks," Spielman said.
Harsh, but all legitimate editorial criticism, until we get to ...
"I love seeing them beaten down, man. It's great," Spielman said.
And thus ends (or should end) Chris Spielman's license to call any Michigan game. I like Spielman, I like his transparent love for football, I like that he still seems more like a player than an announcer and that he obviously would rather be on the field colliding with people than in a suit and tie in a booth. I think he's one of the best color guys on the network. But unless ESPN's new strategy is to openly antagonize its viewers, it can't have a born, bred and admitted hater calling the team he hates. Born and bred, like Herbstreit (a second generation Buckeye captain), fine, as long as he keeps his biases in check on the air. But an admitted hater, on a very public radio program: No.

5 Reasons Texas Tech Will Win: Oklahoma Edition

from Double-T Nation by Seth C

<center>
5_Reasons_Texas_Tech_Will_Win__2_.jpg
</center>
Reason #1: To Sir, with Love: Ruffin McNeill

I'm not done crushing over what Ruffin McNeill has done for this defense, much like Mark Thackeray helping to mold the lives of those tough inner-city London teenagers. McNeill has taken a defense that had been bad-mouthed for years into, at the very least respectable, and in my opinion, pretty damn good. It has started with McNeill's father-like attitude with his players (I think that the sole reason McKinner Dixon signed with Texas Tech was the strong hand of McNeill) and simplifying the defense. Let these guys play. But it didn't stop there. McNeill has had in-game adjustments as well as game preparations that have not only worked for the most part, but have held opponents to much less than I expected. McNeill and his defense held, Texas to 374 yards (the Longhorns are averaging 471) and Oklahoma State to 368 (the Cowboys are averaging 492). I'm not real sure what rabbit McNeill will pull out of his hat this week, even if it's the traditional straight-up defense that we've known to both love and cringe at the thought of bending-but-not-breaking, but I'm pretty confident that he knows what will work.
Reason #2:The Strength of Texas Tech's Lines

Dedfischer has already gone into great detail about the matchups along the lines, but I think I'd be completely remiss if I didn't acknowledge that this team is powered by it's strong line play. This offense struggles if the quarterback is under pressure and to date, that just hasn't happened. There's been very little pressure on Harrell in conference play against 3 of the top 5 Big 12 defenses, Texas Nebraska and Oklahoma State. And that's where all of this starts. Leach's vision, along with Matt Moore, was to establish this offensive line early last year, but getting those guys to play, and replacing absolutely no one has paid huge dividends this year. Cohesiveness is a factor that is easily forgotten sometimes with an offensive line, but that's not the case with me. Despite the struggles of Marlon Winn last year, the early injury of Vasquez, and the late season injury of Rylan Reed, this unit is poised to do something that's never been done. The same thing can be said about the defensive line. The starters return from last year's line and the only thing different was that guys matured and talent was added. In fact, it wasn't just talent that was added, it was talent that was ready to contribute immediately (Sesay and Dixon). The long and short of the defensive line is that Colby Whitlock wore down last year and by the time the OU game rolled along, I think he was absolutely gassed, but that was Whitlock's true freshman year. A year conditioning and you have what may be one of the more dominating defensive linemen in the Big 12, possibly in the country -- and he's only a sophomore. The emergence of Richard Jones, Rajon Henley, the aforementioned Sesay and Dixon and you've got one hell of a recipe of success. Continuity + Talent = Success.
Reason #3: A Healthy Crabtree and Batch

Michael Crabtree hasn't been quite right since he injured his ankle against Kansas and Baron Batch hasn't been 100% with a turf toe problem. But these two guys, perhaps Texas Tech's best playmakers, have had two weeks to get healthy or healthier. At the very least, I think we can expect a 100% Michael Crabtree, which is scary, just ask Texas, and possibly a much improved Baron Batch, although he's going to need an entire offseason to cure what ails him, could be an absolutely huge spark for the Red Raiders. Not enough has been said about the job that Batch has done thus far on that injured toe, but I get the feeling that you will have to drag him from the field and he is savoring every freaking moment. I would imagine that some players take for granted the gifts that they have to play this game, but I believe the reason that Batch runs so hard and with so much passion is because he loves this game.
Reason #4: The Completion of Graham Harrell

It's taken almost 3 years, but I feel like Graham Harrell may be Captain Leach's greatest accomplishment to date. Leach has molded a quarterback known to be inconsistent for entire games during a season has become the complete quarterback that we've always thought he could be and now is. Harrell did revert to his bad and old self against Nevada, completing only 41.3% of his passes, a dismal 295 yards and 2 interceptions and 1 touchdown, but that's been the only hiccup. And it was only 2 months ago that we were all scratching our heads and wondering why Harrell was under-throwing long passes with little to no success. But things have changed. In fact, you might say that as the competition has gotten tougher, so has Harrell, and that may have been his biggest knock as a player thus far. I'm not real sure what Leach has done to put Harrell on the track that he's currently on, but it's working.
Reason #5: Because It Is Texas Tech's Destiny

I know, it's a little much, but I believe in this team. It seems hoakey to say it out loud, but it's true. What are the odds that Matt Williams' name gets picked out of some hopper to have the opportunity to kick for free rent? Is it 1 out of 500 or is it 1 out of 1,000? In any event, it's a longshot, in the truest sense of the word. Any 100 untold events could have prevented Williams' name being THE NAME to kick for free rent. But it wasn't. His name was called, and right now, I feel like that Texas Tech's name is being called and the football is firmly on that tee. Free rent is waiting for you, all you got to do is knock down a 30-yard field goal. It's easy. Hell, even a student could do it without even warming up. This is about opportunity and it's staring your Red Raiders right in the face. I don't think this one is going wide right.
Check back tomorrow for "5 Reasons Why Texas Tech Will Lose: Oklahoma Edition".

IT’S NEW AND IT SCARES ME

from Every Day Should Be Saturday by Orson Swindle

Mike Leach turned him into a newt! He’s weird and it scares us!
Suddenly, we remember why we hate the state of our birth:
Griffith also has this to say about Mike Leach: ” Mike Leach still has his name thrown around, but I don’t see it. No one is going to come into the SEC and win with Xs and Os - it takes talent, not gadgets.
And, I just don’t see Leach (47) being able to handle the level of scrutiny that comes with the UT head football coach job. It’s a regal position - hardly a post for someone with erratic and eccentric personality traits.”
Regal? What kind of simpering bootlicking shitkickers think of a football coach as necessarily regal? What’s more regal than the Texas Tech offense, the one that keeps quarterbacks clean, moves the ball, and scores more points than Tennessee’s ever scored in their most fevered, ham-scented dreams? Total gadgetry, just like the Urban Meyer offense.
Want to know what we hate about the state? That fucking attitude. Not even Alabama’s that stodgy. They paid 4 million bucks a year for a rageaholic mercenary dwarf not because he was “regal,” but because the man coaches his ass off, recruits like a Ponzi scheming con man, and constructs football teams capable of knocking the marrow out of opposing teams. Even they went pragmatic when competition eliminated the tribal approach to choosing coaches, and that’s from a school situated in a state where vibrators are illegal and their old constitution is based.
Please, don’t hire Leach. He’d be successful and fun. He would be “eccentric,” not crazy, because “eccentric” is “crazy” plus “success and money.” He would give conference opponents fits. He and Bruce Pearl’s cloud of awesome would be visible on Google Earth maps. It would suck like a thousand leeches for other fans in the conference. Go with someone else…you know, someone who looks all kingly and GRRR MANLY BEARDS. Results are secondary to concerns of etiquette, a Hapsburg chin, and some hokey 1950ish concept of what an authority figure is.
(P.S. You’ll notice Joel, a Tennessee fan, is essentially in agreement on the “new scares me” argument, but without calling an entire state a collection of skyfall-fearing troglodytes. THIS IS WHY HE’S A BETTER PERSON THAN WE ARE.)

WAG No. 222: Gemma Hiles

November 19th, 2008<!-- by Ryan Bailey --> · No Comments

hr_tag_sep2.gif
<!-- Article Start --> The sexiest non league supporting lady you’re ever likely to see

Playboy bunny and Page 3 girl Gemma Hiles used to boast of being squired around her native Lancashire by Daniel Alston, the luckiest member of Preston Wanderers (who are currently playing in the lowly Preston and District Football League Premier Division). The handsome blonde now lives in foggy London town, where she enjoys attending nightclubs wearing next to nothing, and performing with two other pneumatic ladies in a troupe called the Diamondettes (I say “troupe” rather than “band”, as they don’t appear to indulge in any kind of musical activity).
Her MySpace relationship status suggests her relationship with Mr Alston has extinguished, but it is surely only a matter of time before Jermain Defoe works his magic…

In an interview for Maxim, Gemma extolled the virtues of a modest chest: “Big boobs are not always the sexiest!” she said. However, the picture above suggests the 21-year-old changed her mind, with the help of a cosmetic surgeon.

Spoiler bonus: Here’s Gemma enjoying naked Friday at her office (NSFW)…

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" width="425" height="344">

<embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cNz2gRhEJoo&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" width="425" height="344"></object></p>
Want more WAG fun? Check out the extensive WAG of the Day archive and The Spoiler’s fifty hottest WAGs of 2008!

<object width="464" height="392"><param name="movie" value="http://embed.break.com/NjA3NjM2"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://embed.break.com/NjA3NjM2" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess=always width="464" height="392"></embed></object><br><font size=1><a href="http://view.break.com/607636#TellAFriend">null</a> - Watch more <a href="http://www.break.com/">free videos</a></font>

If Mike Leach beats Oklahoma, will his gadgets achieve regality?

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-672294578-1227126712.jpg
The coaching search continues at Tennessee, where Cincinnati's Brian Kelly has emerged as the leading candidate to succeed Phil Fulmer, according to a source in the Knoxville News. Vol blogger Mike Griffith says you can add Jim Leavitt's name to the list, and don't count out Lane Kiffin, either. It's early still. But one name you can scratch off, according to Griffith: Mike Leach. Yes, he has his supporters. But they know what they want there in Tennessee, and this guy just doesn't fit that Volunteer mold:
Mike Leach still has his name thrown around, but I don't see it. No one is going to come into the SEC and win with Xs and Os -- it takes talent, not gadgets.
Gadgets, indeed: What is this ... this ... forward pass? This bizarre system of having the ball leave the quarterback's hands and travel an appreciable distance through the air to reach an open "receiver" at an extremely consistent rate might produce an unlikely undefeated record and No. 2 ranking where you are, sir. It might result in a system that's finished in the top-10 nationally in total and scoring offense nine years in a row, with five different lightly-recruited quarterbacks, in a program with zero record of national success and no recruiting footprint, in a conference that boasts five of the top 12 teams in the country this week.
But in the SEC? At an historic program where Leach would inherit players who by all rights should run most of his current squad out of the stadium? Preposterous. These gadgets -- this "passing" attack with system quarterbacks who have little shot at the next level -- they will never work in the South. They don't do gadget plays here.
And, I just don't see Leach (47) being able to handle the level of scrutiny that comes with the UT head football coach job. It's a regal position -- hardly a post for someone with erratic and eccentric personality traits.
Ay, Leach could never handle real media scrutiny like the kind he'd face in Knoxville, a true metropolis compared to Lubbock. A scruffy vagabond like Leach could never reach the level of regality achieved by those distinguished ambassadors of the Vol aristocracy for the last 32 years, Phillip Fulmer and Johnny Majors. Tennessee is no place for interesting people with proven track records of success and active, curious, wide-ranging minds.
Remember, Vols: You got to watch tricky lawyers like Mike Leach.

Olson's career at UCLA likely over

<!--subtitle--><!--byline-->By Brian Dohn brian.dohn@dailynews.com Staff Writer
<!--date-->Updated: 11/18/2008 10:49:17 PM PST
<!--secondary date-->
<script language="JavaScript"> var requestedWidth = 0; </script>
<script language="JavaScript"> if(requestedWidth > 0){ document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.width = requestedWidth + "px"; document.getElementById('articleViewerGroup').style.margin = "0px 0px 10px 10px"; } </script>A career that began with so much promise for UCLA's future likely ended during a meeting in UCLA's training room Tuesday when senior quarterback Ben Olson was told by a team doctor a recent CT scan showed his broken right foot is not yet healed.
A discouraged Olson heard the news after watching most of practice.
He was hoping to take reps this week and play Nov.28 at Arizona State. The Bruins (4-6) finish the regular season Dec. 6 against USC, and need to win both games to get to a bowl game.
"They don't know for sure (how long before it will heal)," Olson said. "It looks better than it did a few weeks ago. It's healing, just slower than I would like."
Olson, who was the top-rated prep quarterback out of Thousand Oaks High in 2002 class, has been injured much of his career.
After transferring from BYU to UCLA for the 2005 season, Olson missed games because of a broken thumb, a concussion, a couple of knee injuries and the foot, which he broke twice. He has not played this season.
"It's disappointing," Olson said. "The whole time I've been here I feel like I've been saying the same thing. I don't know why things have happened like they have. I don't know why things have worked out like they have."
Olson said he does not believe he is eligible for a sixth year, and he is not expected to pursue it.
Tevaga back: UCLA offensive guard Sonny Tevaga returned to practice Tuesday. Bruins coach Rick
<hr class="articleAdRule">Advertisement
<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.1">GetAd('tile','box','/home_article','','www.dailynews.com','','null','null');</script><script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.1" src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/www.dailynews.com/home_article;abr=%21webtv;kw=;pos=box;sz=300x250;tile=NaN;ord=100683318580893?"></script><!-- Atlas --> <iframe src="http://view.atdmt.com/M0N/iview/120114511/direct;wi.300;hi.250/01?click=" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" width="300" frameborder="0" height="250"> &amp;lt;a href="http://ad.doubleclick.net/click%3Bh=v8/377e/3/0/%2a/b%3B209133878%3B0-0%3B2%3B10999535%3B4307-300/250%3B29028192/29046071/1%3B%3B%7Eaopt%3D2/1/ff/0%3B%7Esscs%3D%3fhttp://clk.atdmt.com/M0N/go/120114511/direct;wi.300;hi.250/01/" target="_blank"&amp;gt;&amp;lt;img src="http://view.atdmt.com/M0N/view/120114511/direct;wi.300;hi.250/01/"/&amp;gt;&amp;lt;/a&amp;gt;&lt;noscript&gt;&lt;a href="http://clk.atdmt.com/M0N/go/120114511/direct;wi.300;hi.250/01/" target="_blank"&gt;&lt;img border="0" src="http://view.atdmt.com/M0N/view/120114511/direct;wi.300;hi.250/01/" /&gt;&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/noscript&gt;</iframe>​
<hr class="articleAdRule">
Neuheisel put Tevaga on a leave of absence last week for not showing enough commitment to football. According to sources, Tevaga was not working hard in the weight room, and not participating fully in weightlifting sessions.
"It was just having a bad attitude, and I need to be more positive for the team," Tevaga said. "I feel like my slate is clean. We had a talk, and (Neuheisel) was right."
Also: Offensive lineman Ryan Taylor of Tyler (Tex.) Junior College will visit UCLA the weekend of Dec. 13. ... Defensive tackle Brian Price (hamstring), linebacker Sean Westgate (hip flexor) and defensive end Chase Moline (back) did not practice, but each is expected to be ready to play Nov. 28 against Arizona State.

Buffs' Vaiomounga jailed, dismissed from team

By Kyle Ringo (Contact)
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Colorado sophomore linebacker Nate Vaiomounga was dismissed from the football team on Tuesday after being arrested Monday in connection with the theft of a purse last week on campus.
University police commander Brad Wiesley said a woman reported her purse stolen from Farrand Field at about 3 a.m. Friday, Nov. 14. The woman and a male companion were sitting on Farrand Field with the purse resting on the ground nearby when a man approached, grabbed the purse and ran into a nearby building, Wiesley said.
Entry to the building required a card key.
The man was later identified as Vaiomounga through video surveillance, witness interviews and card key records, Wiesley said. Vaiomounga was arrested on suspicion of theft of less than $500, a misdemeanor.
Once Vaiomounga was identified as a suspect, police discovered several warrants for his arrest in Boulder County, Wiesley said. Vaiomounga was ticketed last winter for underage possession, for which he failed to appear, and criminal mischief, for which he failed to comply with a court order, according to court records.
Vaiomounga was academically ineligible this season, but played as a true freshman in 2007 mostly on special teams. He played eight plays on defense but recorded no stats.
“We have been consistent in showing no tolerance for poor decision making,” CU coach Dan Hawkins said. “We constantly tell these young men that once is a mistake, twice is a behavior. They know they are representatives of the university, role models to many, and even ambassadors of their own families. Don’t do anything that would embarrass your parents, do those things that will make them proud.”
According to CU, Vaiomounga’s dismissal was not related to the thefts of personal items in CU’s locker room Saturday. Five players reported missing items from their lockers after returning to the locker room in the Dal Ward Center following a loss to Oklahoma State.
Wiesley said CU police are still in the preliminary stages of that investigation.
“There is no indication at all that he is involved in that,” Wiesley said.
Vaiomounga’s arrest is another in a long line of incidents involving current or former members of the football team this year. Two players were arrested in the spring and charged with felony assault and later agreed to plea bargains. Another former player was arrested in the spring for trespassing and kicked off the team.
Former Buffs Lionel Harris and Bernard Jackson were arrested in June for armed robbery and later charged with 15 counts.
Hawkins said he was disappointed about the thefts from the locker room during the OSU game, but not completely surprised by it.
“Well, there is 573 people rolling through there,” Hawkins said. “We just have to do a better job. It’s not going to be the first locker room that ever got hit or the last locker room, and sometimes it happens when you’re on the road.”
The CU locker room was redesigned a year ago, including a secure area in each locker requiring a combination. Not all players use the feature, Hawkins said.
Sipili out
Hawkins said linebacker Michael Sipili missed practice Tuesday but was not specific as to why.
Sipili hasn’t played as much as expected this season and missed some time because of a back injury that was causing back spasms earlier in the year. Hawkins said Sipili’s absence was not totally due to the back spasms.
“It’s a combination of things,” Hawkins said. “We’re just trying to get him to focus right now.”
Notable
The Buffs conducted their first practice of the bye week Tuesday evening and spent parts of it attempting to function and communicate with crowd noise blaring out of large speakers. At other times, tunes regularly performed by the Nebraska band were played. ...
Safety Ryan Walters wore a protective boot on his left foot and has a high-ankle sprain and a knee sprain. He said he is taking it easy this week and hopes to practice and play next week. Walters said he won’t need surgery and a magnetic resonance imaging test showed no damage. ...
Dan Hawkins said he does not know whether he will have Walters or D.J. Dykes available for the game. Dykes missed last week’s game because of an undisclosed illness. ...
Hawkins said the plan is for Cody Hawkins to start against the Cornhuskers at quarterback with freshman Tyler Hansen also receiving playing time.
The Buffs practice today, Thursday and Saturday and return to work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday of next week in advance of the regular-season finale.

Jason Kates Leaves Team

from mgoblog by Brian
Attrition the second: Rich Rodriguez announced that backup DT Jason Kates has decided to leave the team($, info in header). Kates hadn't seen a single snap this year AFAIK and that was an ominous sign for a redshirt sophomore; he's probably looking for playing time and that Not Throwing Up Every Weekday major mentioned earlier.
Oh, and Steve Schilling might miss the Ohio State game. Not that it's likely to matter.
Back to Kates: he wasn't likely to contribute if he couldn't see the field at all this year. However, defensive tackle is now looking mighty thin: Mike Martin set a high bar for himself this year and will no doubt start; the only other 2009 DT on the roster at the moment is Renaldo Sagesse, who saw spot duty at various points during the season. He had limited impact. If Will Campbell recommits as expected he'll get at least as much playing time as Martin did this year and may leap directly into the starting lineup.

Jurich: 'Steve will be here next year - if he wants to be'

from Card Chronicle by Mike Rutherford
Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich held a press conference Wednesday afternoon where he restated his support for embattled second-year head football coach Steve Kragthorpe.
"I support him totally," Jurich said of Kragthorpe."This is a long-term project, and we're going to take it that way. We're going to continue to work and make progress that way. We want to continue to recruit well and we want to continue to attract the assistant coaches like we have. I think things will fall into place."
Oooo was "continue" really the word we were looking for in the recruiting sentence? I would have either gone with "start," "begin" or just completely left the subject alone.
"He knows what he’s doing," Jurich continued. "I just want him to stay the course. Obviously he’s got to put blinders on because there is a lot of negativity swirling out there. But I think a lot of programs have that. There were a lot of hurdles that people didn't know about that Steve is getting through. I appreciate how persistent he's been, and how the entire staff has pulled together."
Eventually, Juich was asked if missing a bowl game for the second straight season might have an affect on whether or not Kragthorpe would return to U of L for a third season.
"Steve will be here next year," Jurich said. "If he wants to be."
The AD was also asked whether or not he would ever think about leaving, to which he simply replied, "never say never."
Jurich drew heat locally last week for some comments he made to ESPN's Brian Bennett, particularly for a statement he made about how Cardinal fans new to the game of football were harboring unrealistic expectations for the program. He addressed those comments today.
"We've got great fans," Jurich said. "We have great fans and we appreciate them. But nobody wants to win at this school more than I do. I made the comment about the Orange Bowl, I want to go to the Orange Bowl every week myself. That's what we all strive for. It was a great experience, but it takes a lot of work and it is not going to happen every week."
The tail end of the Kragthorpe quote is interesting, and I liked that he went out of his way to try and toss some water on the bridge fire with the fan base, but there's really not much else to see here outside of that.
Basketball in three days.

QB Controversy Part 1: Defending Stephen Garcia

from Garnet And Black Attack by Gamecock Man
This post is the first installment of a two-three part series on the relative merits of Stephen Garcia and Chris Smelley.
Undoubtedly to the chagrin of many Gamecocks fans, Steve Spurrier seems to be leaning towards Chris Smelley as his starting QB against Clemson. Is SOS making the wrong decision? Before looking at the advantages and disadvantages of the two signal callers, let's take a look at how the two signal callers have performed over the course of the season.
For the year, the two have surprisingly similar statistics. Here they are:
<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"> <tbody> <tr align="right"> <td align="left">NAME</td> <td>CMP</td> <td>ATT</td> <td>YDS</td> <td>CMP%</td> <td>YDS/A</td> <td>TD</td> <td>INT</td> <td>RAT</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="left">Chris Smelley</td> <td>131</td> <td>224</td> <td>1531</td> <td>58.5</td> <td>6.84</td> <td>11</td> <td>11</td> <td>122.3</td> </tr> <tr align="right"> <td align="left">Stephen Garcia</td> <td>56</td> <td>104</td> <td>753</td> <td>53.8</td> <td>7.24</td> <td>6</td> <td>5</td> <td>124.1</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> Smelley has played more, hence his greater overall yardage, completions, etc. However, they have similar passer ratings, and Garcia's yardage per attempt stacks up comparably to Smelley's. One difference is that Garcia has a slightly better TD to INT ratio, while Smelley has a better completion percentage. Overall, though, these stats confirm SOS's claim that neither QB has really distinguished himself.
However, is it fair to compare the two for the season and just say they're the same QB? Looking at the issue in other ways, we can see that both have arguments in their favor. Today, we're going to look at arguments in favor of Garcia. Tomorrow, we'll take a look at Smelley's pluses, so stay tuned.
One potential argument for Garcia is that Garcia had played much better than Smelley until Spurrier implemented what has turned out to an ill-advised QB rotation system that negatively affected Garcia's play more than it did Smelley's. In those two games, Garcia posted the following lines:
Arkansas
<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"> <tbody> <tr align="right"> <td align="left">S. Garcia</td> <td>4/11</td> <td>71</td> <td>6.5</td> <td>1</td> <td>1</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> Florida
<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"> <tbody> <tr align="right"> <td align="left">S. Garcia</td> <td>6/13</td> <td>28</td> <td>2.2</td> <td>0</td> <td>1</td> </tr> </tbody> </table> Before these two games, Garcia had performed much better, but these numbers brought Garcia's season stats down a good bit. Would Garcia go back to playing like he did in the second half against Kentucky if Spurrier put his confidence in the freshman told him he would let him go the distance? Part of the answer depends on whether or not you agree that the rotation system has confused Garcia, but considering the dismal offensive showing we had against the Gators, it's at the very least fair to say that the rotation system was not the best way to go.
Another argument in favor of Garcia is that Garcia's mobility could add a new dimension to our offense. However, Spurrier has insisted that Garcia work on becoming a pocket passer. Therefore, Garcia's mobility has for the most part only worked to our advantage when he has scrambled to escape sacks, and, as Spurrier points out, at times Garcia's tendency to leave the pocket too quickly has worked against us.
Is Spurrier being stubborn by insisting that Garcia learn the Fun-n-Gun instead of installing a simplified passing attack combined with designed runs and option plays? Perhaps. Garcia's future with South Carolina undoubtedly involves learning Spurrier's offense from cover to cover, but since Garcia likely won't be able fully to do that until after the season, one solution to getting the most out of Garcia's skills would be to adapt the offensive gameplan to Garcia's skill set.

Love the women in the thread. Nice bonus. Somewhat distracting, but I'll deal with it.

BOL this week RJ.

+7 gets the push with central michigan. Nice job , that must be a very gratifying push.

but numbers don't matter ..........yeah right

+7 gets the push with central michigan. Nice job , that must be a very gratifying push.

but numbers don't matter ..........yeah right

Exactly. I don't mind the push. Get the thrill of having action but basically a no bet after the result.

Still only have Michigan St this week and that may be it. I don't know. Don't like the card all that much.

BAR--Yep. As soon as you got here, we got puss.

JPicks--Glad you can deal with looking at chicks.

Pags--Thanks. I try to keep the chicks to a minimum but only put the hot ones in here.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Perspective Piece: Texas Tech-Oklahoma </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
</td> <td width="3" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Matt Zemek
Staff Columnist
Posted Nov 19, 2008
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Texas Tech has already refuted its doubters and silenced its critics, no matter what happens the rest of this college football season. Saturday night in Norman, the Red Raiders can similarly shut up the nattering nabobs of negativism who are just waiting for the Bowl Championship Series to implode in a newly spectacular manner.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">

In one of the more fascinating college football scenarios ever encountered, two of the heavies in the Big 12 South will stage a battle that--if won by homestanding Oklahoma--will send the BCS into chaos and turn college football pundits into Olympic figure skating judges. But what's gotten lost in the shuffle, as Mike Leach gets ready for the latest edition of "biggest game in Texas Tech history," is that if Graham Harrell and Michael Crabtree bring their pyro-Tech-nics to the ballpark and conquer one more formidable foe, this BCS mess will evaporate in a heartbeat. We might have just finished a draining and long presidential race, but when the Red Raiders and Sooners wage war in the November night, football observers will find out if this college football campaign will be as political as Obama-McCain. If OU wins, it's recount city and endless lawyering; but if Tech triumphs once more, the concessions will pour in and clarity will emerge. It's not the way football was meant to be played, but it's the reality that towers over this titanic tilt like nothing seen in the 11-season BCS era.

Let this be shouted from the rooftops, loud and long: The college football world, in an ideal situation, would have used the final days before this showdown to praise the amazing ascendancy of the Red Raiders and the resilience of the Sooners.

In a pigskin utopia, we'd be emphasizing how far Tech has come under Leach, the onetime assistant to Bob Stoops who now seeks to beat his former boss on the road to division and conference crowns and a shot at the national title. In a gridiron paradise, we'd be noting how writers (such as this one) thought Texas Tech was a tease in the offseason, and that the Kansases and Texases of the world would be too much for the chuck-and-duck Raiders, who could put on a show and pile up points, but would flinch when the going got tough. That hasn't happened this year, as an all-world offensive line has remained almost entirely impregnable for Tech's first ten games. A win over Oklahoma would leave only Baylor and Missouri standing in the way of a perfect regular season and a date with destiny in Miami on January 8.

In a land of peace and justice, the college football cognoscenti--in addition to lauding Leach's lads--would also be noting how the Sooners, after the devastating loss to Texas, picked themselves up and--without the services of their defensive heartbeat, linebacker Ryan Reynolds--rolled through the rest of their schedule to stay in the thick of the division chase. An authoritative rout against the Red Raiders just might vault the Crimson and Cream to yet another division crown, their seventh this decade. Texas Tech and Oklahoma have done awesome things, but because of the Big 12's poor tiebreaking procedure for three-team traffic jams (point differential should be the new fifth tiebreaker when 2009 rolls around), the only thing anyone can talk about--and unavoidably so--is the set of BCS rankings that lurk in the background.

If Texas Tech wins, we won't be talking about such matters come Sunday morning. Ah, but what if the Sooners win? After all, Stoops has lost exactly two home games in his storied OU career, and one of those losses was an opening day disaster in the first game of the post-Jason White era (the 2005 opener against TCU). The only time Oklahoma has lost a meaningful late-season home game in the Stoops era came seven long years ago, when Les Miles and Oklahoma State stunned Bob's boys in the 2001 edition of the Bedlam Series. It's understandable why people are prattling on about the BCS, the microchips, the circuits, and the coaches' votes that are all part of a very political equation: Oklahoma doesn't generally lose at home to anyone in the Big 12. Texas Tech might have had a bye week to deal with OU, but the Sooners also had Nov. 15 off so they could spend 14 days to surgically study the pitch-and-catch powerhouse heading into town.

And so, while this contest figures to be spectacularly good on the merits thanks to the presence of three Heisman Trophy contenders (Harrell, Crabtree, and OU quarterback Sam Bradford), and amazingly exciting due to the point-producing potency of the two offenses involved, a big part of the drama enveloping this contest will float to off-field considerations, and to the people who so poorly govern a sport with virtually no central seat of authority.

Indeed, just how will all of college football's power brokers react to this game? It might seem unfair to the Red Raiders and Sooners to deny them their moment in the spotlight, but then ask yourself: How fair is the BCS system that looms over this game like a black shadow? How can a complete perspective attached to this game not include the faces and figures who, all their public proclamations to the contrary, will see their system exposed to the -Nth degree if the Sooners prevail? How will the conference commissioners and university presidents react as this game unfolds? How will they internally rationalize where they stand? How will their blood pressure levels and heart rates vary (if at all)? How will they rethink the future--if ever--during the night's action? How will the Harris Poll voters and computer geeks react when they see their influence grow exponentially larger, forcing them to possibly decide the fate of three Big 12 South programs who all deserve a shot at greatness, but who simply can't play Missouri together on Dec. 6?

Yes, there will be plenty of drama on the field when Texas Tech and Oklahoma go at it. Unfortunately yet undeniably, there will be even more intrigue off the gridiron, as a college football season will become even more political unless Mike Leach's men can rise to meet yet another man-making motivational moment in Soonerland.
</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Instant Analysis: Ball State-Central Michigan </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
</td> <td width="3" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Matt Zemek
Staff Columnist
Posted Nov 19, 2008
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

They still have unfinished business to tend to, but on a snowy night in Mount Pleasant, Mich., the Ball State Cardinals affirmed their greatness while enabling their foremost goals to remain attainable.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">

In an ideal world, there would be grander and more soaring ways to describe a victory as gutsy as Ball State’s 31-24 triumph over a superb Central Michigan squad at Kelly/Shorts Stadium on Wednesday. But because of the quality of the Mid-American Conference’s West Division, the Cardinals—for all their excellence, which was on display in the second half of this showdown with the charged-up Chippewas—have yet to lock up so much as a division title. For a team with an 11-0 record, that’s not supposed to happen, but this has been no ordinary year in the best division in a non-BCS conference.

As fabulous as the 2008 season had been for the Cardinals, the one undefeated team in the Mid-American Conference confronted an uneasy realization when it stepped on the field against the two-time defending MAC champions: A loss to Central Michigan—not unbeaten overall, but unblemished in the conference—would deny them division and conference titles. Despite a 10-0 mark heading into this night fight, coach Brady Hoke’s kids realized that if the Chippewas chopped them down, the division title would reside in Mount Pleasant for a third straight season, and with it, a likely conference crown as well. Ball State knew that one misstep against a proven opponent would lead to one of the more empty 10-1 records ever seen in college football. Under such circumstances, when previous successes can seem to be so insubstantial, a band of brothers learns how difficult it is to finish the job in a competitive league.

It is in light of this larger backdrop that Ball State’s Wednesday win can be appreciated as a particularly impressive achievement.

Knowing that their season was on the line, and realizing that 10 wins in as many games bought them nothing more than a chance to merely stay in contention for the MAC West title, the Cardinals—up against the reigning MAC daddy—refused to flinch in a second half that will cheer Ball State backers for years to come.

Twice, the boys from Indiana stared down seven-point deficits, their largest of the season. Always under fire against Dan LeFevour, Central Michigan’s decorated and dynamic quarterback, the Comeback Cards never displayed the nerves or the pronounced panic that can easily emerge when a dream season is on the verge of slipping away. With Central Michigan playing well, and forcing the visitors to bring their best to the ballpark under daunting circumstances, quarterback Nate Davis, running back MiQuale Lewis, and a resolute offensive line not only erased the touchdowns LeFevour forged, but took the outright lead on a ballsy third-down strike from Davis to receiver Briggs Orsbon that gave Ball State the lead midway through the fourth quarter. After fighting uphill battles in the falling snow for most of the second half, the Cards were rewarded for their perseverance, and after intercepting LeFevour in their own red zone with 27 seconds left in regulation, a still-undefeated season--while not yet a championship season—took its biggest step toward ultimate success.

No offense to the high-quality Western Michigan team that—next Tuesday in Indiana—will stand in the way of Ball State’s march to perfection, but this terrific tilt in Mount Pleasant was a more-than-pleasant monument to elite football. The Cards and Chippewas traded punches in a thrilling contest featuring top-shelf quarterbacking, thoughtful play calling, and textbook offensive line play. Defenses were occasionally able to make impact plays, lending a certain tension and completeness to the proceedings. The coaches—particularly Hoke, as shown on a fourth-and-1 gamble with 9:49 left in the third quarter at his team’s own 38—went for the brass ring in a high-stakes battle. Everything about this game except the sometimes-suspect officiating (which, even then, improved after the first two and a half quarters, and did not make a major misstep down the stretch, a credit to the crew on hand) glittered with greatness. This confrontation felt like a championship football showcase, and in the end, it was Ball State—by a hair—who overcame ample on-field adversity to sustain its sterling season.

Yes, you can’t quite call Ball State University a championship football team in 2008, and if Western Michigan can make some magic next Tuesday, a three-way tie will emerge at the top of the MAC West. But with that being acknowledged, it’s hard to deny that the conquering Cardinals look the part of a winner—and now deserve an extra measure of accolades—after their display of grit and gumption against an inspired Central Michigan outfit that defended its conference title with honor.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <script> var premiumFlag = 0; </script> <!--end STORY DISPLAY--> <!--GOOGLE TEST DISPLAY--> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://fimserve.scout.com/?placement=fim_scout_story-page-college-cfn2"></script><script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></script><script src="http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/test_domain.js"></script><script>window.google_render_ad();</script><script language="JavaScript1.1" src="http://googleads.g.doubleclick.net/pagead/ads?client=ca-fim_scout_js&dt=1227191796335&adsafe=high&oe=utf8&lmt=1227158246&skip=4&num_ads=2&output=js&adtest=off&correlator=1227191796335&channel=fim_scout_story-page-college-cfn%2Cunited-states&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcfn.scout.com%2F2%2F813676.html&ad_type=text&ea=0&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&frm=0&ga_vid=2105521033.1227191797&ga_sid=1227191797&ga_hid=1722183127&flash=9.0.124&u_h=768&u_w=1280&u_ah=738&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-480&u_his=1&u_java=true&u_nplug=35&u_nmime=125&dtd=553"></script>

<table class="card"><tbody class="card-tbody"><tr><td class="cc c">History is on Utah's side

from Block U by JazzyUte
If anything, history acts as a guide for the unknown, especially in sports. Even though there is never really a guarantee, looking at past events tends to shed some light on the possible outcome for Saturday's game. If history is any type of indication, the Utes will be 12-0 Saturday night. Of course, that doesn't mean it's a given, however, the odds do seem to be stacked against the Cougars.
Since 1999, the home team entering the Holy War with the better record has won 3 out of 4 times.

• 1999: The lone exception, the 7-3 Utes defeat the 8-2 Cougars to claim a share of the inaugural Mountain West championship.
  • 2001: BYU enters their rivalry game against the Utes at 10-0, Utah is 7-2. The Cougars rally in the final minute, defeating Utah 24-21.
  • 2004: An undefeated 10-0 Utah team crushes the 5-5 Cougars 52-21.
  • 2007: BYU, at 8-2, defeat the 8-3 Utes 17-10.
Since 1999, the team with the better record has won in all but two years, 1999 and 2002. In 2002, the Utes entered their game against the Cougars with a 4-6 record, while BYU came into the game at 5-6.

Since 1990, only once has the winner of the Holy War not led in most statistical categories. This season, Utah leads in 20, BYU in 10.

Since the Mountain West was formed, BYU has only managed to defeat one ranked opponent -- TCU in 2006. Utah hasn't lost as a ranked team in five years, that loss coming to New Mexico in 2003.

Now these stats do not mean the Utes are going to win this weekend, but it does show that the better team generally wins in this series. Of course, if you want to play devil's advocate, you could say the difference between Utah and BYU right now is negligible. But the same could have been said last year, a game the Cougars won. It might not assure victory, but it seems to benefit Utah more than BYU.

</td><td class="cr c">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Denver Nuggets Cheerleader Makes Announcers Go Speechless
by 100%InjuryRate
Yesterday​

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vICiZ4u_b1I&hl=en&fs=1" width="425" height="344"></object>​

Occasionally basketball announcers see something out on the court that's so impressive, it simply leaves them speechless. Usually it's an actual basketball play, other times it's a rather direct shot of a buxom cheerleader.

Anyway, a few night's ago one Denver Nuggets cheerleader was caught by a cameraman "dancing" during a timeout. Notice the rather long pause by the announcers before they manage to regain their composure.

"A festive atmosphere here at the Pepsi Center."

Oh my yes.

By the way, in case you were wondering, the dancer is Bridget, who I'm sure was selected for the team because she gives money to stem cell research charities. She's also in her rookie campaign for the Nuggets.
0c471690ee2be7d609ce21cead50fc6b.jpg
e7629064744ab1481e1b8f305ac3d783.jpg

Anyway, keep, uh, being festive, Bridget. We'd love to see you for a few more years.​

She’s Uncoachable: Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader Abigail Klein

Published by Natty at 9:00 am under She's Uncoachable

Let’s see. Abigail Klein comes from one of the most proud traditions of cheerleading in the history of the beloved activity: The Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders. It’s amazing because for one of the first times in my life I’m kind of interested in learning a little more about Abigail. Unfortunately there’s very little out there.
One thing I do know is that she’s awfully young (maybe not even 19 yet). Another thing? She’s awfully blond. And I gotta say that sort of goes against my main interests. Other than that however, I really don’t know much about her.
And as I look at these pictures of her, those thoughts of having to learn more seem to fade away easier and easier. For it’s not so much that I’d like to know that she loves to dance, but more so that she’d love to dance for me..privately…in a champagne room.
More pics of Abigail after the jump

Miss COED: Ursula Mayes

<abbr class="published" title="2008-11-19T13:30:48+0000"><script type="text/javascript">document.write(time_since(1227119448, "November 19, 2008 - 1:30 pm,"));</script>November 19, 2008 - 1:30 pm,</abbr> By COED Staff
ursula-mayes1.jpg
This brunette bombshell has been pretty much everywhere. Ursula Mayes was a suitcase model on “Deal or No Deal,” she’s appeared in Maxim, Muscle & Fitness, OC Health and People’s “100 Most Beautiful People” issue - plus loads of Ursula merchandise, from calendars to women’s corsets. And she appeared on the cover of THQ’s “Juiced 2 Hot Import Nights” video game cover in 2007.​
Check out Ursula Mayes’ Miss COED gallery after the jump!

<style type="text/css"> .gallery { margin: auto; } .gallery-item { float: left; margin-top: 10px; text-align: center; width: 33%; } .gallery img { border: 2px solid #cfcfcf; } .gallery-caption { margin-left: 0; } </style> <!-- see gallery_shortcode() in wp-includes/media.php --> <dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl>
<dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl>
<dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl>
<dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl><dl class="gallery-item"><dt class="gallery-icon"> </dt></dl>

Back