CFB Rankings Week #4

NFL network just told me in 5 seconds who is in the top 5. No need to watch that stupid committee.

You're probably right, but another case of play in the championship game and drop, sit home on your ass and move up.

That is the PAC's rule, pretty certain. USC/PSU much more sexy than CU/PSU.....unfortunate for you but that game doesn't excite me much. USC/PSU does.

Yeah, if beating 6-6 Northwestern and 3-9 Illinois is part of your resume that isn't saying much.

But yeah, lots of teams have padded their win column with .500 or worse Big Ten teams this year LOL.

It is saying something if we are saying the conference that had 6-6 nw and 3-9 illinois is so great that we are going to give them two teams instead of just one and partly base that on Washington's strength of schedule or western michigans strength of schedule.

I just want to see who is in the cotton bowl that is gonna destroy this disappointed wmich team.

It is saying something if we are saying the conference that had 6-6 nw and 3-9 illinois is so great that we are going to give them two teams instead of just one and partly base that on Washington's strength of schedule or western michigans strength of schedule.

Joey Galloway said it was the best division in the best conference in college football. He also said it with a straight face. Reece Davis called him out on that statement.

The bottom 3 of the East division is 4-23 in conference and 11-25 overall (Maryland, Mich St, Rutgers).

That is the PAC's rule, pretty certain. USC/PSU much more sexy than CU/PSU.....unfortunate for you but that game doesn't excite me much. USC/PSU does.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. Even less exciting to me is CU vs Okie Light though.

What I said was it's another case of a team playing in a championship game (losing) and dropping below a team that sat home on their ass. Every championship game has a loser and it sucks that they drop and get a lesser bowl because of it.

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. Even less exciting to me is CU vs Okie Light though.

What I said was it's another case of a team playing in a championship game (losing) and dropping below a team that sat home on their ass. Every championship game has a loser and it sucks that they drop and get a lesser bowl because of it.
Can't argue with that.

Would just like to point ou that Pitt has 2 top 5 wins, which is insane. No one else in the country can claim that

Narduzzi is building something

yup and they just cracked the CFP 25 last week. Meanwhile you have name schools like Stanford, LSU and Tennessee all ahead of Pitt and they've combined to beat nobody.

Wonder how motivated the Wolverines will be in that, hope the name FSU is motivation enough. That could be an entertaining game.

no reason for Michigan to be unmotivated. They knew they weren't going to the CFP after losing to ohio state and then no upsets in any of the bowl games that mattered.

Ah well. Is what it is. Move on, I guess. Least they could have done was drop tosu to 4 so we get bama/tosu to start

The bottom 3 of the East division is 4-23 in conference and 11-25 overall (Maryland, Mich St, Rutgers).

7-2 outside of conference though ;)

Yeah, losers of conference championship games shouldn't be penalized against a team sitting home on its butt.

No one. They aren't in my top 4 to make it. I just feel subjectively they should but who the hell are my eyes?

Thanks for the responses. Just was curious.

Was being sarcastic about committee not you're post. I've stated from get go that I'm my opinion UM best team in big ten and since head to head doesn't matter, put them in.

"Penn State's performance in a 13th game gave them a quality win over a highly ranked team"

Oh wait, that was the excuse to put Ohio State in two years ago.

And they rank a team that won that 13th game behind a team that sat at home

The first two years we heard a lot about "game control" as a justification. Washington ranks ahead of Ohio State here.

They decide the matchups they want (and by the seedings its obvious what they want) and just create a bullshit narrative around it. Swap the names Ohio State with Penn State or Washington and we wouldn't be having this discussion

"Penn State's performance in a 13th game gave them a quality win over a highly ranked team"

Oh wait, that was the excuse to put Ohio State in two years ago.

And they rank a team that won that 13th game behind a team that sat at home

The first two years we heard a lot about "game control" as a justification. Washington ranks ahead of Ohio State here.

They decide the matchups they want (and by the seedings its obvious what they want) and just create a bullshit narrative around it. Swap the names Ohio State with Penn State or Washington and we wouldn't be having this discussion

Yup, they want Urban/Saban. Hopefully someone ruins those plans.

unless the only reason said loser is playing is because of geography.

Does anyone know if there is a rule against conferences just using one division and having the top two play in the title game at the end of the year? I know that the rule is a conference needs 12 teams to have a title game, but once they have at least 12, does it have to be two divisions?

Is it highest rated? The Sugar/SEC/B12 is highest rated NOT in the playoff.
Sooo likely Aubbie v Okie....

Woulda love LSU vs Okie.....woulda been great game

WM may in fact be the happiest team in the country right now!

If you read PJ Flecks comments lately and after the game I dont think so.

Sounds quite happy to me. I watched the press conference. Basking in his team's success, joy for the moment and for his team. Said WM is the best group of 5 team in the country. Cotton Bowl was their goal. They got it. What did he say or do to make you think he wasn't happy or content with his team's accomplishments and their post season bowl potential destination?

Does anyone know if there is a rule against conferences just using one division and having the top two play in the title game at the end of the year? I know that the rule is a conference needs 12 teams to have a title game, but once they have at least 12, does it have to be two divisions?

I think that would rarely be in the best interest of the teams likely to make the playoff

This year it would have hurt OSU, Clemson and Washington. The only team it would have benefitted was PSU

Sounds quite happy to me. I watched the press conference. Basking in his team's success, joy for the moment and for his team. Said WM is the best group of 5 team in the country. Cotton Bowl was their goal. They got it. What did he say or do to make you think he wasn't happy or content with his team's accomplishments and their post season bowl potential destination?
I read some comments about how he was saying WMU and Bama were the only teams undefeated in the country and they were not getting enough respect but I could be mistaken.

I read some comments about how he was saying WMU and Bama were the only teams undefeated in the country and they were not getting enough respect but I could be mistaken.

He did say that, about Alabama and Western Michigan being the only two undefeated teams, but he said it in the context of "will you be watching Navy tomorrow" and he said "I don't know what we are watching for" and said they are the best group of 5 team, saying he will be wearing cotton this and cotton that, cotton cotton cotton. Sounds like Western Michigan got exactly what they wanted all along.

I think that would rarely be in the best interest of the teams likely to make the playoff

This year it would have hurt OSU, Clemson and Washington. The only team it would have benefitted was PSU

It won't be in the best interests in years in which the best 2 teams would have been in the same division under this format, as they'd have to play the next best team as opposed to whomever won the other division. tOSU would have actually played in the title game this season against PSU, which you're right, it wouldn't have necessarily benefited them, but only because somehow sitting home was seen as a good thing in the committee's eyes.

It would just seem that this way, you'd be getting a better indication as to the "best" team in that conference, as well as getting the team's with the better record in the championship game. Just seems that the "they're only in the title game because they're in the weaker division" argument pops up all the time, and it would eliminate that.

Not seeing how Wash and Clemson would have been hurt, outside of Clemson having to play Louisville in title game?

Is it highest rated? The Sugar/SEC/B12 is highest rated NOT in the playoff.
Sooo likely Aubbie v Okie....

Woulda love LSU vs Okie.....woulda been great game
Yes. UW is in playoff, USC was highest ranked remaining.....thus, they are in the Rose over CU.

The whole issue really boils down to whether or not you think the playoff should be crowning the "best team" or the "champion." Last I checked sports are about crowning the champion.

Right. I don't particularly care about crowning champions, but if you're going to do it you should not be inviting teams that could not win a championship at a lesser level (the conference level).

PSU got robbed....plain and simple...whole thing wreaks but we all know the real reason why. if OSU pulled this off PSU is on sidelines. How can you say OSU better team when PSU a. won the division they both play in b. won the conference they both play in c. won head to head

Oh and like I said with Washington, don't even get me started, I would have them down at about 6. Sure, they may be a top 4 team in the country. But if that team plays a Big 10 east schedule that team doesn't lose only one game, let alone their non conference schedule.

What has happened this year is two fold. Ironically it happened this year finally to just PSU for reasoning.

1. Your conference champion doesn't matter like it once was so HUGE for committee. 2. It doesn't matter whom you schedule non conference, lose less and get in.

Dr Mark Emmert was on the Washington Husky sidelines Friday night as he was their former president. No chance he was allowing PSU to get in over them. Side deals were made and phone calls were placed.

The sooner you get the politicians out of the committee the sooner you will have an honorable system. Its a complete joke, too many agendas.

I hope Michigan schedule bottom barrel MAC teams and Wayne St/Northwood in the future. That way when we lose just ONE game to OSU or PSU in the future we are in no matter if we go to champ game of conference. In fact, it may benefit us not to go to Champ game of conference as committee has shown simply sitting at home is all u need to do to get in.

If people don't feel sick about the corruption of the committee after this process you have a vested interest in OSU or Washington. It wreaks.

My top 4, 1. Bama 2. Clemson 3. PSU 4. OSU 5. Michigan 6. Washington

The topper was committee says Pitt is an 8-4 team so no reason PSU should have lost to them, while explaining Clemson at 2 says Pitt was no slouch this year. Do they realize since PSU got 3 to 4 LBs back they were missing against Pitt and Michigan they went 9-0 and 8-0-1 ATS?

I won't watch the Final 4. I would have to if Michigan was in it but I have no vested interest any longer. Fuck em all. Wont see my $$ on NYE.

1. Your conference champion doesn't matter like it once was so HUGE for committee. 2. It doesn't matter whom you schedule non conference, lose less and get in.

"Like it once was" is kinda comical (and you probably didn't mean it this way, just the way I read it)...way back when, in 2014, when it mattered to them, and they listed it as THE reason TCU was left out. They should also update their "protocol" on the website, as conference championship and H2H are listed as 2 of the 4 main criteria.

It also says this in their "protocol"...

Strength of schedule, head-to-head competition and championships won must be specifically applied as tie-breakers between teams that look similar

So, PSU has 2 of those 3, and the other is marginally in favor of tOSU (and is much more subjective to begin with), and PSU is not in....hahahahaha.

Except if you're WMU, you mean, as far as the second point goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The topper was committee says Pitt is an 8-4 team so no reason PSU should have lost to them, while explaining Clemson at 2 says Pitt was no slouch this year.

Hahaha, this is ridiculous. Any chance you have the audio of this? I'd imagine you'll see it around twitter at some point as it may have been comments from 2 different people.

Michigan should have absolutely no case for getting in a 4 team playoff. They are 3rd in their division!

There has been outrage before about teams who didn't win their own conference, finished 2nd in the division still getting in. Michigan is 3rd!

I think when you use the regular season results and the conference champion results it utilizes everything from this point up to week 1 as a playoff in it's own right. We've played 12 -13 games and those results over the course of time should determine who is in.

Sure Michigan beat Penn St. But Penn St won more games. Beat more teams with a winning record. 45% of PSU's wins were vs teams with winning records. 30% of Michigan's wins came vs winning teams. 54% of PSU's game were vs winning teams to Michigan's 42%. Michigan lost 2 of their final 3 games. Yes, Michigan did beat Penn St, but the records are not equal. And consider that Penn St beat the two teams that beat Michigan.

Well said, especially this part:

I think when you use the regular season results and the conference champion results it utilizes everything from this point up to week 1 as a playoff in it's own right.

I also like having five five conferences and only four teams because that gives meaning to the non-conference games as establishing a pecking order among conferences and the conference champions themselves. Don't we all want to see Ohio State v. Oklahoma, USC v. Alabama, etc. in September?

PSU got robbed....plain and simple...whole thing wreaks but we all know the real reason why. if OSU pulled this off PSU is on sidelines. How can you say OSU better team when PSU a. won the division they both play in b. won the conference they both play in c. won head to head
Oh and like I said with Washington, don't even get me started, I would have them down at about 6. Sure, they may be a top 4 team in the country. But if that team plays a Big 10 east schedule that team doesn't lose only one game, let alone their non conference schedule.

What has happened this year is two fold. Ironically it happened this year finally to just PSU for reasoning.

Dr Mark Emmert was on the Washington Husky sidelines Friday night as he was their former president. No chance he was allowing PSU to get in over them. Side deals were made and phone calls were placed.

The sooner you get the politicians out of the committee the sooner you will have an honorable system. Its a complete joke, too many agendas.

I hope Michigan schedule bottom barrel MAC teams and Wayne St/Northwood in the future. That way when we lose just ONE game to OSU or PSU in the future we are in no matter if we go to champ game of conference. In fact, it may benefit us not to go to Champ game of conference as committee has shown simply sitting at home is all u need to do to get in.

If people don't feel sick about the corruption of the committee after this process you have a vested interest in OSU or Washington. It wreaks.

The topper was committee says Pitt is an 8-4 team so no reason PSU should have lost to them, while explaining Clemson at 2 says Pitt was no slouch this year. Do they realize since PSU got 3 to 4 LBs back they were missing against Pitt and Michigan they went 9-0 and 8-0-1 ATS?

I won't watch the Final 4. I would have to if Michigan was in it but I have no vested interest any longer. Fuck em all. Wont see my $$ on NYE.

This sounds exactly what SEC fans told us for years and BIG10 fans used to KILL them for it.

crawdads said we couldn't whine about injuries earlier this year.

"Like it once was" is kinda comical (and you probably didn't mean it this way, just the way I read it)...way back when, in 2014, when it mattered to them, and they listed it as THE reason TCU was left out. They should also update their "protocol" on the website, as conference championship and H2H are listed as 2 of the 4 main criteria.

It also says this in their "protocol"...

Strength of schedule, head-to-head competition and championships won must be specifically applied as tie-breakers between teams that look similar

So, PSU has 2 of those 3, and the other is marginally in favor of tOSU (and is much more subjective to begin with), and PSU is not in....hahahahaha.

Except if you're WMU, you mean, as far as the second point goes.

you are spinning your wheels. those guys on the committee know what's in their protocol. It's precisely why they told us last week pedo state was no where close to what ohio state was. If they hadn't told us that, they'd have to use their protocol and pedo state would have gotten the nod.

Back