CFB Bowl Season News, Picks, and T&A

BAMA’S ANDRE SMITH OUT FOR BOWL GAME

from Every Day Should Be Saturday by Orson Swindle
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0rl9hpVv_vc&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout
He is clearly allergic to Brandon Spikes, but most football players on the offensive side of the ball share this medical condition. Now what we’ve found yet another way to express our undying love for Brandon Spikes, it might help you to know that the offensive lineman featured in that video, Andre Smith, is an All-American pedigreed badass who eats whole pieces of chainlink fence for snacks and has anchored the left tackle spot for Bama since he was a freshman.
He is also suspended for the bowl game for unspecified violations of team rules. No ideA, aGain, whEther aNyone will geT to the bottom of why, but we’re sure some anonymous internet rumor will suffice for truth in the meantime.
(Also: the Papa Johns.com Occluded Artery StrokeFeed Bowl just got off to a crazygonuts start with a fake FG for a Rutgers TD and then a missed XP. Keep Shaun King away from the breadsticks; his jowls are getting to be positively Swindle-sized.)

rMObCx8gWBI

KU’s Thornton to miss Insight Bowl

By Dugan Arnett

<small>Advertisement</small>
<iframe id="a297aba3" name="a297aba3" src="http://ads2.ljworld.com/www/delivery/afr.php?n=a297aba3&zoneid=197&cb=12573" framespacing="0" scrolling="no" width="300" frameborder="no" height="250">&lt;a href='http://ads2.ljworld.com/www/delivery/ck.php?n=ac864bba&amp;amp;cb=12573' target='_blank'&gt;&lt;img src='http://ads2.ljworld.com/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=197&amp;amp;cb=12573&amp;amp;n=ac864bba' border='0' alt='' /&gt;&lt;/a&gt;</iframe>

SCOTTSDALE, ARIZ. — Kansas University cornerback Justin Thornton did not make the trip to Tempe, Ariz., for Wednesday's Insight Bowl for undisclosed disciplinary reasons, according to team officials, and will not be present when the Jayhawks take on Minnesota at 5 p.m. Wednesday at Sun Devil Stadium.
Thornton, a junior, started all 12 games for the Jayhawks this season, recording 63 tackles, an interception and a team-high 11 pass breakups.
"We talked to him before we left," said senior linebacker James Holt. "He understood (the decision). He just has to straighten up a little bit and come back his senior year and show that he's a leader."
In his spot, senior cornerback Kendrick Harper has been taking reps at the position and will likely get the start in Thornton's place.
"(Harper) has been working at the spot, and he's been doing very well," said Holt. "... It's a little bit different. They have a little different style of play. Thornton's a little more aggressive and stuff, but (Harper)'s doing well back there. He's cutting to the ball and running around. Both of those guys are well capable of playing there."

It's official: Cobb won't play in Liberty Bowl

Brooks says knee not fully healed

By Chip Cosby / ccosby@herald-leader.com

MEMPHIS — University of Kentucky freshman quarterback Randall Cobb has been ruled out of Friday's Liberty Bowl against East Carolina.
UK Coach Rich Brooks made the announcement following his team's first practice in Memphis on Sunday. Cobb suffered a knee injury in the regular-season finale against Tennessee and underwent arthroscopic surgery shortly thereafter. Brooks said the knee has not healed enough to allow Cobb to play.
"The cartilage (in the knee) has still not healed," Brooks said. "He's still non-weight bearing. The doctors just don't feel like he's ready to go."
Redshirt sophomore Mike Hartline, who started the first eight games of the season before being benched in favor of Cobb, will get the start vs. East Carolina. Hartline has been practicing with the first unit during the bowl preparations and said he's ready to go.
"I've been preparing myself to be the starter the whole time," Hartline said. "Even when Randall was in there starting, I tried to stay ready because I knew I was only one play away. And I've got almost a month of practices under my belt, so I feel really good about everything."
Sanders hospitalized
UK quarterbacks coach Randy Sanders is still in Lexington after being hospitalized on Saturday with kidney stones. Brooks said he was hoping for Sanders to be able to arrive in Memphis in time for Monday's practice but wasn't sure if he'd be able to make it.

The Year in Dr. Saturday: Comebacks, arguments and other cheap shots of adrenaline

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-144965533-1230598251.jpg
Anyone who writes a blog on any topic for pretty much any reason at all can tell you: Hitting the archives is a humbling experience. There's nothing like a three-month delay in proofreading to put one's haste and incoherence into a stark, mildly depressing focus.
But the entire Yahoo! Sports Blog clan is waxing nostalgic this week on the wit, irreverence and hangover-induced typos that defined 2008 in these parts of the Web. And though Dr. Saturday was a late addition to the crew in August and spent most of its first season chasing its metaphorical tail on a daily basis, a full season is worth at least one sober, misty look in the rearview.
That's what the bosses are telling me, anyway, so that's what you're getting, reader. You'll get the Year in Dr. Saturday, and you'll like it.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-181933827-1230598326.jpg
Ongoing Story of the Year. If you had to sum up the defining conflict of 2008 for posterity in one sentence, it would be something like, "45-35." That's only a shorthand for the great Texas-Oklahoma debate after the Longhorns' head-to-head win over the Sooners in the Cotton Bowl, from whence OU came roaring back to nip UT at the tape for the Big 12 South's bid to the conference championship game and, ergo, the mythical championship game. Here and elsewhere, I called the Sooners' path to the title game on Nov. 9, when OU (No. 5) was still two spots back of No. 3 Texas in the BCS:
Since the votes in this scenario would be tallied the day after Oklahoma finished off back-to-back wins over Oklahoma State and Texas Tech, the Sooners would have all the momentum. ... since the human polls are already waffling between Oklahoma and Texas despite the Longhorns' win in the Cotton Bowl, it seems the Sooners have the upper hand if they win out. As it stands, I'd peg the championship game as a collision of the winners of Alabama-Florida and Oklahoma-Texas Tech.
The best part of this debate was that it actually fostered, you know, debate: About home field advantage, the proper impact of head-to-head in the polls (or lack thereof) and how to best compare teams to one another in the first place. That, and the airplanes.
Story of the Year: Throwaway Division. Ernie Davis' anachronistic Swoosh was a good story, but the cheapest thrill for me, personally, came from the tale of Central Florida beat writers who, on a supposed conference call to George O'Leary in September, were met instead with the greeting, "Hi sexy! You've reached the live, one-on-one fantasy line."
Game of the Year. Yes, there was the thrilling finish to Texas-Texas Tech, and the seemed-great-at-the-time drama of LSU's hard-hitting win over Auburn. But, improbably, no game was as fun to watch as Auburn's epic 3 to 2 victory at Mississippi State on Sept. 13, which shamed that night's USC-Ohio State tilt for tension and caused me to wax poetic for the only time all season:
Clouds of dust, adieu
The spread, it will redeem us
So much for the script
Zeroes all alike
All shutouts, all too cliché
Two transcends sublime​
Less than a month later, Tony Franklin was gone, followed by Sly Croom at year's end. May their memories live on.
Videos We Loved. I was all too happy to relive a groin-centric evening in El Paso, as well as a Duke attorney trashing Duke. But with 4,177 comments and more than 3.8 million views, Stephen Garcia and Wilbur Hackett are the undisputed champions of Doc Saturday video clips:
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dcdWdBgUBqw&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="295">Popout​
Yeah, not even gravity-defying Beanie Wells can beat that.
Image of the Year. With apologies to Danny Ware's mugshot, there can be only one:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-933031590-1230598364.jpg
Best Use of 'Hyacinth.' I would like to draw the reader's attention to Nov. 14's meditation on rejected names for the Keg of Nails Trophy in the Cincinnati-Louisville game, solely for its pioneering use of the term, "Pallet of Curs."
Quote of the Year. USC scored 41 unanswered points in a 44-10 blowout of Oregon in October, outgaining the Ducks 598 yards to 239 and holding the Oregon offense to a punt or turnover on eight straight possessions. But Duck quarterback Jeremiah Masoli isn't worried about results, man:
"We feel like we're the better team."
"Tonight they played better than us, and the score indicated that. But I still feel like we're the better team, we just gave that one away."
"We just made some mistakes that we usually don't."
"I feel like our football team is better all-around, but they played better tonight, so they got the 'W'.''
They just defeated us in every possible way for the sixth year in a row, is all.
Accidental Memes of Glory. I started "ACC Championship Roulette" as a lark, really, to fill a week or two until Virginia Tech put the thing in lockdown, like always. Instead, by Halloween, I'd cycled through North Carolina, Virginia Tech, Maryland, Wake Forest, Salvador Dali, Virginia Tech again, Georgia Tech and finally Virginia. But of course, in the end, it was Virginia Tech. It's always Tech.
One Last Prayer for Washington State. The weekly Box Scorin' item regularly chronicled the Cougars' woes, which included an average deficit of 31 points; a defense that allowed at least 58 points in six different conference losses; finishing 118th out of 119 in total offense, scoring offense and scoring defense; and, most embarrassingly, an open call for a backup quarterback at midseason. Wazzu was by far the worst major conference team in modern memory ... until it cemented rival Washington's 0-13 nightmare with a last-second win in the Apple Cup. And still, it's pretty close.

Bowl Season '08: Russell Wilson Down, Rutgers Wins (Simple Explanation Version)

from The FanHouse - NCAAfootball
by Will BrinsonFiled under: NC State, Rutgers, ACC, Big East, NCAA FB Fans, General CFB Insanity, Bowl Games
russell-wilson.jpg
FanHouse gathers around the TV to bring you insights from Bowl Season '08.

Russell Wilson got hurt. With all due respect to Rutgers players, coaches, fans and awesome Pulitzer Prize winning alumni, that's about all you need to re: the PapaJohns.com Bowl. Of course, it's also all you need to know about North Carolina State's season -- when Wilson was healthy and in the game, the Wolfpack were one of the most exciting teams in the NCAA, and when he wasn't, well, they were the type of team that could give up a first half lead to a suddenly struggling Rutgers team.

Again though: Rutgers = not bad. They came in having won six straight games, but, caveats aside, you couldn't tell by the time the clock struck zeroes on the first half. The Wolfpacka dominated, Mike Teel struggled mightily, and it looked like a runaway win for State. Then Wilson got hurt.

It happened right before the end of the first half and it was a strained left knee and he was most certainly capable of coming back, but, again, no offense to the pizza tossing Papa, but this wasn't the time and the place to bring the future of a school's football program back onto the field.

And as such, the fate of the PJ.com Bowl fell to Daniel Evans, Raleigh's native son. As was the case for the end of Chuck Amato's tenure in Raleigh, he couldn't come through, and Teel magically morphed into the guy who tossed seven taters against Louisville. State withered, Rutgers rallied, and a pair of seasons got microcosmed really quickly.

OC Patrick Nix Fired at Miami

from Fanblogs.com by War Eagle Atlanta

Although overshadowed by all the NFL firings today, a few colleges decided to cut ties with some coaches, most notably Miami offensive coordinator Patrick Nix, who was given the hook today by HC Randy Shannon. Shannon released a written statement, which didn't immediately address the specifics for the change.
"It is my obligation to review all aspects of the program and make decisions as to how we can improve as a football team," Shannon said.
Shannon had hired Nix when Shannon ascended to the top at Miami two years ago. Nix had been with GA Tech, one of Miami's opponents, for the last five years, including the last three as OC. Miami's offense was ranked 89th this year in the FBS in total offense, with 326 ypg, and ranked 52nd in scoring, with 27.1 ppg.
"I fully realized the expectations when I came here, in the end, Coach Shannon and I just have a difference on how to run an offense," Nix said.
Yea, perhaps Shannon noticed that fact when the Canes' offense performed that painful two-minute drill in the waning minutes of Saturday night's Emerald bowl loss to California, 24-17--a comeback perfectly within the realm of being possible by most teams...
Perhaps Shannon is looking to deflect some criticism off himself, coming off last year's 5-7 effort, and this year's lackluster 7-6 season, which ended with three straight losses, including a Thursday night thumping by Georgia Tech. Prior to that game, the Canes had ridden a 5-game midseason winning streak and had a good shot at the ACC title game.
Maybe there's room at the inn for Nix now down in Auburn in some capacity, as new HC Gene Chizik has approached Auburn alumnus coaches Rodney Garner and Stacy Searels, both currently at Georgia, and retained LB coach James Willis from Tommy Tuberville's staff.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Daily Whimsy (12/30) - Andre Smith Suspension </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
546447.jpg

Alabama OT Andre Smith
</td> <td width="3" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Dec 30, 2008
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

The Andre Smith suspension from the Sugar Bow in the December 30th Daily Whimsy.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]Fiu's DAILY Cavalcade of Whimsy

Andre Smith's Suspenction ... Dec. 30
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
a.k.a. Frank Costanza's Festivus Airing of the Grievances OR ... The obvious attempt to keep readers coming to the site on a regular basis during the off-season.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]

By Pete Fiutak
What's your beef? ... Fire off your thoughts

This Week's Whimsies: Monday - NFL Mock Draft (top 10 picks)

Last Week's Whimsies:
Tuesday - Holiday Wish List For All 119 Teams
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2] Wednesday - Chizik, Gill, & the Race Card[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2] Friday - Why Paterno isn't too old[/SIZE][/FONT]
<table id="table6" align="right" border="0" width="120"> <tbody><tr> <td bgcolor="#ffffcc">[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2] Past Whimsies
[/SIZE][/FONT] - 2008 Season
-
2008 Preseason Cavalcade
- 2007 Season
- 2006 Season
</td> </tr> </tbody></table> “Look Nick, I’m not going to bull(bleep) you. I don’t know you, I don’t know your work, but I think you’re a very, very talented young man, and I’m never wrong about these things. Excuse me please. Could I have anotherrrrrrrr, Cointreau and sody? And could you send an almond torte to the gentleman in the white suit over in the corner? Look Nick, I’m not going to bull(bleep) you, because it’s a waste of time, and then it becomes that thing. Oh (laughing, looking over Nick’s shoulder) I’m not talking to you … I’ll call you. Look, I’m very aware that you’re seeing other agents. It’s good that you are. It’s healthy. But here’s the thing. If you sign with me as an agent, you’re going to get three people (holding up four fingers); you’re going to get an agent, a mother, a father, a shoulder to cry on, and someone who knows this business inside and out. And if anyone tries to cross you, I’ll grab them by the balls, and squeeze ‘til they’re dead,” … Alabama superstar OT Andre Smith was suspended from the game after allegedly having improper contact with an agent. The question isn’t whether or not he should be suspended, it’s why he was even thinking about playing in this game at all.

I always get creamed when I go with this line of thinking, but if you’re a sure-thing first round draft pick, it doesn’t do you the slightest bit of good to play in your bowl game if it doesn’t matter. If it’s the national title, that’s one thing, but the Sugar Bowl against Utah? Yeah, it’s me before team with the tens of millions of dollars on the table. Who taught us this lesson?

Nicholas Lou Saban.

Wasn’t it Nick who put Nick before team when he ditched Miami for Alabama? Yup. With his knowledge of the system and how things work in the NFL, Saban should be the first to know just how crazy it is to risk an injury in a non-national title game. Just ask Willis McGahee how much money he lost in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl when he blew out his knee in the national title loss to Ohio State. He likely would’ve been the No. 2 pick in the 2003 NFL Draft, and if you go back and look at tapes of him before the injury, even with the elite level rehab he went through he was never the same back.

Just as Cadillac Williams, who saw his potentially tremendous career go kaput with a knee injury, and then another this last weekend. Just ask Daunte Culpepper, Steve Emtman, Tom Brady and countless other players just how quickly a career can go from Hall of Fame to over in one play.

Don’t buy into this garbage that Smith is now seen as a person of low character because he gabbed with Jerry Maguire. And even if he is a person of low moral fiber, you know how far he’ll slip in the draft? No. 2. And if the Rams don’t take him, watch how fast the Kansas City Chiefs get that envelope up to the podium.

Five years, $57.5 million. That’s what Jake Long made last year as the first pick in the draft, and Smith is a far, far better a prospect. I love college football and for my own selfish purposes I’d love to see these players stick around as long as possible for my own amusement and entertainment. With that said, could I look a guy in the face and tell him to risk tens of millions of dollars in a glorified exhibition game? Not unless I had a $4 million a year contract in Tuscaloosa waiting for me.

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Lean towards Rice and Nevada tomorrow as well, but the more I look, the more I am leaning to the Ducks. Two teams going in opposite directions towards the end of the season and Ducks offense now outperforming Okie Light's. Is this a system play for you or do you have other reasons for backing them?

C-Man:

One of the reasons I'm going to system plays during the bowls is to have some action on every bowl while not having to think about the plays. I also find that motivation, time off, etc. make capping the bowls fairly volatile. Might as well just go with the system (at least so far).

Adding:

Nevada -2' (-110)
Rice -3 (+100)
Okie Lite -2' (-110)
Houston -3 (-120)
Oregon St -2' (-110)
Boston College -3 (-120)
Minnesota +9' (-110)
Georgia Tech -4 (-110)

All system plays. Iowa locked in for New Years' Day. Other leans/plays that I'll probably post tomorrow:

Clemson -2' (really lean to Nebraska on this one)
Michigan St +7'
Penn St +9 (leaned USC originally, now think this is the right side)
Cincy -2

Update on the system, I'm 7-7 and the system is 7-7. I've had 2 technical deviations that have gone 1-1 (Cal and NC State).

rj, completely agree with you that playing the bowl games light and using them for scouting purposes for next year is the way to go...

NYT Acknowledges Furor, Immediately Makes it Worse

from Burnt Orange Nation by billyzane
NYT Acknowledges Furor, Immediately Makes it Worse

This sidebar report lifted from the DMN's Texas blog is being published today in the sports section of the New York Times. It essentially says that Mack Brown denies any recruiting improprieties in the wake of losing JMac to OU. Um, ok. Unbelievably, there is absolutely no mention of the Thayer Evans article that engendered the need for this article. So here's the logic within this sidebar report: "Texas did not get a recruit and as a result, Mack Brown says his program's recruiting practices are clean." That makes no internal sense. No one reading this article without knowledge of the previous Evans article would have any conceivable idea of why Mack Brown was defending the legality of his practices when Texas lost the recruit.
The NYT just decided that they didn't want to be a part of the story so they left out the part where their reporting (which was done without ever calling for corroboration of any of the interested parties) is what's being debated here, not Texas' recruiting practices. Well....tough s--- guys, you made yourselves part of the story by shoddily reporting it in the first place. The accusations made in the article that ran in THIS VERY PAPER make up the entire damn story! How can you not mention that? How can you not mention that fact when the NYT article is the entire focus of the DMN post that you're quoting? This is the same crap that Evans did in the original article that made it awful journalism to begin with!
If this is you attempting to give the "other side of the story," you're doing it wrong. The other side of the story isn't that Texas runs a pretty damn clean program (that's well documented, unlike a few programs I can think of) but rather that Thayer Evans and the NYT sports editor were allowed to print this garbage to begin with.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">5 Thoughts - 2008 Alamo Bowl </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
628521.jpg

Missouri WR Danario Alexander
</td> <td width="3" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Staff
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Dec 30, 2008
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

Missouri beats Northwestern 30-23 in OT ... 5 Thoughts on the 2008 Alamo Bowl
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">

5 Thoughts ... 2008 Valero Alamo Bowl

Missouri 30 ... Northwestern 23 OT

GAME RECAP: Missouri overcomes sluggish game to win in OT
- 2008 CFN Alamo Bowl Preview

-
2008 Alamo Bowl Player Profiles, Histories, & More <table id="table8" align="right" border="0" cellspacing="6" width="205" height="83"> <tbody><tr> <td align="center" width="100%"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table> 1. Oh Ziggy, will you ever win (and I don't mean Mizzou defensive lineman Ziggy Hood)? Missouri had no business whatsoever winning this game. Absolutely none. The Tigers were outplayed, outhustled, outcoached, and out-anything else you want to put in there, except when it came to the play of LB Sean Weatherspoon and WR Jeremy Maclin, who put on their own personal NFL workouts. Chase Daniel was having a hard time throwing passes with both hands around his neck, the Mr. Automatic, Jeff Wolfert, missed, the Northwestern running game was working, and the Wildcat coordinators were coaching their tails off. None of it mattered as Daniel came through when he absolutely had to, the Tiger pass rush stepped it up a few notches, and Mizzou escaped. In other words, everything went right for Northwestern and it still couldn't come up with a bowl win. the Cats are now 0-for-6 in bowls in the modern era, and while this is a smart, tough team that played its tail off, that's not enough once the talent disparity starts to kick in. Head coach Pat Fitzgerald is a true believer in the program and he actually thinks he can create a national power in Evanston. He's just good/wacky enough to do it, but first the team has to bust through the bowl season. It's not going to get many opportunities, when a team as good as Missouri plays this poorly, again. - [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2] Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT]

2. This Alamo Bowl was eerily reminiscent of the 1998 game between Big 12 North champion Kansas State and mid-tier Big Ten team Purdue. A decade ago, K-State lost the Big 12 title game and tumbled all the way down to San Antonio, a lovely city for tourists, but not the kind of bowl destination national title contenders desire. Bill Snyder's heavily-favored Wildcats acted like they didn't want to be in the Alamodome on that night, and sure enough, a fellow named Drew Brees led the Boilermakers to a mammoth upset.

Yes, the Big 12 big boy prevailed this time around, as Missouri held off Northwestern, but make no mistake: These purple-clad Wildcats from Illinois played with far more fire than the Wildcats from Kansas State did in 1998. Northwestern outworked and outfought Mizzou by a wide margin, playing close to the very height of its ability while the Tigers suffered through a listless and largely brain-dead performance. The one good thing that can be said about Missouri is that it dusted itself off and summoned up enough mental toughness to pull out the victory in crunch time.

The biggest story of this game was the emergence of the well-known "grumble factor," a disease evinced when a gifted team decides that it doesn't really care that much about the game it's playing. This writer was surprised to see such a scenario develop in San Antonio because Missouri didn't pout when relegated to the Cotton Bowl last season against Arkansas. At the end of the 2007 campaign, Missouri deserved a BCS bowl but was forced to trudge to Dallas. Yet, Gary Pinkel's team chose to show up and display maximum intensity on every snap. The result was not just a decisive win, but a statement about the increased maturity level of a program that had shed its underachieving past.

Tonight, the Tigers evidently felt that two straight bowl games beneath their hefty credentials were too much to bear. One can't blame them too much, especially not in a moment of victory.

Let Missouri's tortilla-flat performance serve as a warning, however, to other favored teams playing bowl games tinged with a bit of disappointment: Complain about your bowl destination in the offseason. In the meantime, you have to honor yourselves, your coaching staff, your fan base, and your conference.

USC, Alabama and Texas, think of this game as your own personal wake-up call. - Matthew Zemek

2. Missouri coach Gary Pinkel must have agreed with the way Carolina Panthers coach John Fox mismanaged the final minute of regulation in Carolina's loss to the New York Giants on Dec. 21. Much as Fox settled for a 50-yard field goal at the end of regulation instead of trusting a proven quarterback to throw a seven-yard pass and create a far easier kick, Pinkel--with his team at the Northwestern 23 with 40 seconds left in the fourth quarter--chose to run the ball twice. The two plays did center the ball for the field goal, but at the cost of four yards. Missouri had enough time for a chip shot, but instead, Pinkel settled for a 44-yard field goal, which is never automatic for any kicker, not even all-time stud Jeff Wolfert, who had to drive the ball (as any kicker must on a 44-yarder) and, as a result, sacrificed accuracy.

Memo to coaches: Don't become painfully panicky and afraid of a turnover in the final minute of a game if you have a quarterback and an offensive line you can trust. Throw another pass, gain several more yards, and make life easier for your placekicker.<rte_text> </rte_text>- Matthew Zemek
<rte_text>
</rte_text>
4. Assuming this was his final game as an amateur, I’m going to really miss watching Jeremy Maclin playing at this level. The way he effortlessly glides along at warp speed, you’d think he can go the distance every time he touches the ball. And so does the other team, which makes him so doggone dangerous even when another Tiger is the target. Selfishly, I’d love to see him back in Columbia, helping along Blaine Gabbert in his first year as the starting quarterback. Realistically, he’s outgrown the Big 12 and belongs in the NFL, which will select him high in April. He’s Devin Hester with more upside as an offensive playmaker. His 75-yard burst through the Northwestern punt coverage team just before halftime was vintage Maclin and a key reason why Mizzou avoided the upset in San Antonio. Too bad it’ll wind up being his Tiger swan song. - Richard Cirminiello

5. I understand that the timing for this is awful, but I’m more convinced than ever that Chase Daniel is not going to be an NFL hurler. I suppose I should be waxing poetic about his importance to the Missouri program over the last few seasons, which has been profound and indisputable. He’s an all-timer at the program. However, that wasn’t my dominant thought throughout the Alamo Bowl. Instead, I was drawn to his ineffectiveness, including three picks, less than five yards an attempt, and countless poor throws. This wasn’t one game, rather a disturbing trend that began with the loss to Oklahoma State more than two months ago. Although there might be more record-setting days in Daniel’s future, I suspect they’ll be coming in the CFL instead of the NFL. -
Richard Cirminiello<rte_text></rte_text>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Why I Miss College: Because the Oklahoma Sooners Cheerleaders Seem Like Fun Gals

Published by Natty at 3:20 am under Why I Miss College

This isn’t a drunken orgy of a gallery. It’s not some insane partying binge. It’s just the cheerleaders of Oklahoma having a good time. You know it’s fine to acknowledge that a group of young women just seem like fun girls. And you know something? I must hand it to the Sooner organization for upbringing such wonderful ladies.
Seriously guys, it’s wonderful that these girls can do cheers in bikinis, party with basketball players, and even make funny little positions on the ground. I think it would be a total blast to relive these college years, and to relive them with Sooner Spirit.
Here’s a nice little gallery of the Sooner girls.

Catching up on bikini pics from over the weekend, PART 2

<script type="text/javascript"> var qsParmMain = new Array(); function qs_main() { var query = window.location.search.substring(1); var parms = query.split('&'); for (var i=0; i
0) { var key = parms.substring(0,pos); var val = parms.substring(pos+1); qsParmMain[key] = val; } } } qs_main(); var images = new Array(); var images_height = new Array(); var enlarged_images = new Array(); var main_images_title = new Array(); var bfm_index = parseInt(qsParmMain['bfm_index']); bfm_index = (bfm_index >= 0) ? bfm_index : 0; var base_url = location.href; if(location.href.indexOf('?') > 0) { base_url = location.href.substring(0, location.href.indexOf('?')); } var next_bfm_index = bfm_index + 1; var prev_bfm_index = bfm_index - 1; var image_count = 0; images[image_count] = 'http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2008/12/Chelsy Davy/gallery_main/gallery_main-chelsy-davy-bikini.jpg'; images_height[image_count] = '863'; main_images_title[image_count] = 'Chelsy Davy 1'; image_count++; images[image_count] = 'http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2008/12/Chelsy Davy/gallery_main/gallery_main-chelsy-davy-bikini-01.jpg'; images_height[image_count] = '720'; main_images_title[image_count] = 'Chelsy Davy 2'; image_count++; images[image_count] = 'http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2008/12/Chelsy Davy/gallery_main/gallery_main-chelsy-davy-bikini-02.jpg'; images_height[image_count] = '726'; main_images_title[image_count] = 'Chelsy Davy 3'; image_count++; images[image_count] = 'http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2008/12/Chelsy Davy/gallery_main/gallery_main-chelsy-davy-bikini-03.jpg'; images_height[image_count] = '720'; main_images_title[image_count] = 'Chelsy Davy 4'; image_count++; images[image_count] = 'http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2008/12/Chelsy Davy/gallery_main/gallery_main-chelsy-davy-bikini-04.jpg'; images_height[image_count] = '720'; main_images_title[image_count] = 'Chelsy Davy 5'; image_count++; images[image_count] = 'http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2008/12/Chelsy Davy/gallery_main/gallery_main-chelsy-davy-bikini-05.jpg'; images_height[image_count] = '720'; main_images_title[image_count] = 'Chelsy Davy 6'; image_count++; images[image_count] = 'http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2008/12/Chelsy Davy/gallery_main/gallery_main-chelsy-davy-bikini-06.jpg'; images_height[image_count] = '644'; main_images_title[image_count] = 'Chelsy Davy 7'; image_count++; images[image_count] = 'http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2008/12/Chelsy Davy/gallery_main/gallery_main-chelsy-davy-bikini-07.jpg'; images_height[image_count] = '720'; main_images_title[image_count] = 'Chelsy Davy 8'; image_count++; images[image_count] = 'http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2008/12/Chelsy Davy/gallery_main/gallery_main-chelsy-davy-bikini-08.jpg'; images_height[image_count] = '719'; main_images_title[image_count] = 'Chelsy Davy 9'; image_count++; images[image_count] = 'http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2008/12/Chelsy Davy/gallery_main/gallery_main-chelsy-davy-bikini-09.jpg'; images_height[image_count] = '720'; main_images_title[image_count] = 'Chelsy Davy 10'; image_count++; images[image_count] = 'http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2008/12/Chelsy Davy/gallery_main/gallery_main-chelsy-davy-bikini-10.jpg'; images_height[image_count] = '682'; main_images_title[image_count] = 'Chelsy Davy 11'; image_count++; images[image_count] = 'http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2008/12/Chelsy Davy/gallery_main/gallery_main-chelsy-davy-bikini-11.jpg'; images_height[image_count] = '724'; main_images_title[image_count] = 'Chelsy Davy 12'; image_count++; images[image_count] = 'http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2008/12/Chelsy Davy/gallery_main/gallery_main-chelsy-davy-bikini-12.jpg'; images_height[image_count] = '721'; main_images_title[image_count] = 'Chelsy Davy 13'; image_count++; images[image_count] = 'http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2008/12/Chelsy Davy/gallery_main/gallery_main-chelsy-davy-bikini-13.jpg'; images_height[image_count] = '720'; main_images_title[image_count] = 'Chelsy Davy 14'; image_count++; images[image_count] = 'http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2008/12/Chelsy Davy/gallery_main/gallery_main-chelsy-davy-bikini-14.jpg'; images_height[image_count] = '487'; main_images_title[image_count] = 'Chelsy Davy 15'; image_count++; images[image_count] = 'http://celebslam.celebuzz.com//bfm_gallery/2008/12/Chelsy Davy/gallery_main/gallery_main-chelsy-davy-bikini-15.jpg'; images_height[image_count] = '662'; main_images_title[image_count] = 'Chelsy Davy 16'; image_count++; var base_dir = location.href.substring(0, location.href.lastIndexOf("/")); var base_file = location.href.substring(location.href.lastIndexOf("/")+1); base_file = base_file.replace(/-/g,"_"); var enlarge_url = base_dir + "/bfm_enlarged/enlarged-" + base_file; document.write('<div id="bfmgalleryimage">'); document.write(''); var disabled_style = ' style="color: #D0D0D0; background-color: #FFFFFF;"'; if(prev_bfm_index > -1) { document.write('<< PREVIOUS'); } else { document.write('<< PREVIOUS'); } if(next_bfm_index < image_count) { document.write('NEXT >>'); } else { document.write('NEXT >>'); } document.write('FULL SIZE+'); document.write('
'); document.write(''); document.write(''); document.write(''); document.write('<div class="bfm-nav">'); /* document.write(''); if(next_bfm_index < image_count) { document.write(''); } document.write(''); if(next_bfm_index < image_count) { document.write(''); } document.write(''); */ var disabled_style = ' style="color: #D0D0D0; background-color: #FFFFFF;"'; if(prev_bfm_index > -1) { document.write('<< PREVIOUS'); } else { document.write('<< PREVIOUS'); } if(next_bfm_index < image_count) { document.write('NEXT >>'); } else { document.write('NEXT >>'); } document.write('FULL SIZE+'); document.write('
'); document.write('
'); </script><< PREVIOUSNEXT >>FULL SIZE+
<< PREVIOUSNEXT >>FULL SIZE+

Chelsy Davy bikini pics!

Prince Harry and his girlfriend Chelsy Davy in Mauritius (12/29)

THE 10 GREATEST MOMENTS IN CELEBRITY SIDE BOOB HISTORY

SIDE DISHES

THE 10 GREATEST MOMENTS IN CELEBRITY SIDE BOOB HISTORY

Boobs are a source of nourishment and experiencing them is kind of like going to a restaurant. The cleavage is usually the first thing you get to see, kind of like the bread. Then you movie onto the appetizer which is the side of boob ... it's tasty, but you're still hungry for more. The nipple is, of course, the main course followed by the initial squeezing of them which represents the dessert. Now remember, a true gentleman always remembers to tip his boobs when he's finished with them. Leaving five bucks on the nightstand usually does the trick.
#10 Scarlett Johansson's Red Carpet Side Boob Performance - It's only three seconds, but what a three seconds it is.
scarlett_johansson_01.jpg.jpg

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="445" height="364">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rlYCa5iQVwI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" wmode="" quality="high" menu="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="445" height="364"></object>

#9 Mandy Moore's Massage Side O' Boob - This was the second side boob performance in the career or Mandy's boobs. It's a nice gesture, Mandy but we're ready for the main course.​
mandy_moore_01.jpg.jpg

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="445" height="364">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YnH7xA3jSF0&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" wmode="" quality="high" menu="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="445" height="364"></object>

#8 Jessica Simpson's Red Carpet Side Boob Slip - If you look real close ... is that her ... wait, pause it right there! Damn, so close to a slip nip.​
jessica_simpson_side_b_big.jpg.jpg

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VxFqMpH30cE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" wmode="" quality="high" menu="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="445" height="364"></object>

#7 Eva Mendes Brings The Side Of Her Boobs To A Movie Premiere - Remember when there was a time when all we had seen was Eva's side boob. Seems like some many topless scenes and topless photoshoots ago.
01-mendez-1.jpg.jpg

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dLlLXaWlCSM&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" wmode="" quality="high" menu="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="445" height="364"></object>

#6 Beyonce's Yellow Dress Side Boob Extravaganza - This yellow dress was designed by world-renowned fashion designer Jacque Sideaboobie.​
beyonce_beauty.jpg.jpg

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DJt8taS3WzE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" wmode="" quality="high" menu="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="445" height="364"></object>

#5 Michelle Lombardo Shows Off Her Long Bikini Side Boob - The host of Current TV is about to get a lot more famous after she recently revealed on the Adam Corolla show that she has natural 32DD's.​
14375337_Michelle_Lombardo1.jpg.jpg

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="500" height="315">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lvWhJ8ipFJg&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" wmode="" quality="high" menu="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="500" height="315"></object>

#4 Lindsay Lohan Infamous Black Side Boob Dress - If Lindsay insists on continuing with this silly little lesbian phase, then the least should could do is make a sex tape of it.​
lohannipslip01.jpg.jpg

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4MynNTSV3iU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" wmode="" quality="high" menu="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="445" height="364"></object>

#3 Victoria Silvstedt Hooks Up Zach Galifianakis With Some Hot Tub Boob Side - There's no secret about what Victoria's boobs look like from the front, but the side of them sure is nice too.

Victoria-Silvstedt-14.JPG.jpg

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0cnmLYriW9Y&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" wmode="" quality="high" menu="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="445" height="364"></object>​

#2 Angelina Jolie's Tomb Raider Side Boobage - Rumor has it Angelina wants to be the next Catwoman. Angelina sure would make some wonderful black leather side boobage.
angelina-jolie-1600x1200-01.jpg.jpg

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oK4ro3xHpOE&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" wmode="" quality="high" menu="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="445" height="364"></object>

#1 Elisha Cuthbert's Peeping Tom Side Boob From The Girl Next Door - It certainly appears that Elisha's career is floudering, which is good news for us men. I predict an Elisha topless scene by 2010 at the latest.
cuthbert.png.jpg

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="500" height="315">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tY8m5pdFXmY&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" wmode="" quality="high" menu="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="500" height="315"></object>

Five Reasons Nebraska Will Win the Gator Bowl

from Big Red Network
Las Vegas didn't find much to separate Clemson and Nebraska in this year's Gator Bowl, installing the Tigers as a slight 1.5-point favorite when the line opened. You had two teams with ugly mid-season losing streaks and strong finishes against the easiest parts of their conference schedules. You had a stingy defense facing a high-powered offense. You had two coaches whose name's rhymed (can't be overstated or overlooked). Add it all together and, even from the national pundits, you got a giant collective shrug of the shoulders.
But there are some very good reasons Nebraska will win the Gator Bowl. Here are five of them.
Just about every statistical category you can look at involving either Nebraska or Clemson is colored by the following suppositions: Clemson is a good defensive squad in what most view as a poor offensive conference and Nebraska is a good offensive unit in what many view as a poor defensive conference. Without any common opponents almost every attempt at differentiation comes back to that question: Whose stats are for real? That's what makes this an intriguing match-up but it is a match-up that Nebraska can win.
Here's why...
1) Joe Ganz - Ganz is easily the best quarterback Clemson has seen this season. If he plays in the ACC and puts up the same numbers as he did this year in the Big 12 you're probably looking at a guy who would've been the recipient of dark horse Heisman talk. Seriously. But there was nobody of the caliber of Ganz in the ACC this year. As Corn Nation noted in their breakdown, Ganz will be the highest rated QB the Tigers have faced thus far. The only QB who even comes close is NCSU's Russell Wilson who made his first start against the Tigers and compiled a 74.9 rating in their September 13 meeting before finishing the season at 134.29. Throw in the fact that Clemson ranks 106th nationally in sacks and all signs point to a big finale for Joe Ganz.
2) Time of Possession - Dabo's scared of this aspect of the Nebraska offense and for good reason: Nebraska ranked 2nd in the country in time of possession and, if Nebraska fans know one thing better than most, it's that even athletic and imposing defenses wear down and when they do they can be attacked.
3) First Downs - How do you end up with a nearly eight minute advantage in time of possession? Make first downs and Nebraska, again, will be the best first down converters Clemson has played. On the season, the Cornhuskers had 281 first down conversions to Clemson's 221, a per game advantage of five first downs or basically one medium-sized drive. You always hear coaches talk about staying on schedule offensively and this year Nebraska has been on Greenwich Mean Time averaging a first down every 3.01 plays. Just the way they draw it up.
4) Third Downs - And here's where it all comes together. To keep an offense off and a defense on the field you dominate the clock. To dominate the clock you get first downs. To get first downs you have to convert on third down and Nebraska does that almost half the time (48.75%) to rank 14th in the country. Clemson, on the other hand, converts on less than a third of their third down attempts, ranking 111th in the nation. Statistically, Nebraska is an average defense but simple assignment football, Pelini's mantra this year, and avoiding the big plays will make the Tigers earn their yards. Nebraska's proven they can do that, can Clemson?
5) About that lack of Big 12 Defense - Quietly, Nebraska finished third in Total Yards Allowed in the Big 12 at 361.5 yards per game trailing only the ultra-talented Longhorns and Sooners. Nationally that's a fair to middlin' average but consider this: only two teams in the ACC, Georgia "The Option is Alive" Tech and Florida State, averaged more than the 361.5 yards per game Nebraska allowed. Yes, Nebraska will face a statistically tougher defense than they have most of the year but Clemson is by no means getting a break when they have the ball. In fact, the opposite might be true. While Davis and Spiller represent a daunting running back tandem, overall Clemson doesn't bring near the across the board offensive talent of a Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas Tech or Kansas.
Which brings us back to the uber-question for this year's Gator Bowl: What do we know for sure? Technically, nothing but you have to like what Nebraska's good at, namely moving the ball, possessing the ball, scoring and efficiency in the passing game. Clemson is a talented defense team with the gaudy Total Defense ranking to match but their lack of sacks and negative turnover margin on the season, still resulting in a 7-5 record, say more to me about the lack of offense in the ACC than the strength of defense in the conference.
Nobody in the Big 12 stopped anyone else. Nobody in the ACC got anything started against anyone else. Thursday something will give and it's largely a question of belief at this point. Who do you believe will blink first? In this case, I'm tossing the old adage about defense winning championships and going with the unstoppable force.
(Programming Note: Lest we be branded as homers of the most ignominious ilk, Darren will be providing the flip-side of this particular coin tomorrow by taking a look at the ways Clemson could win the Gator Bowl. Join us, won't you?)

Bowlin': The Colin Kaepernick Kotillion, presented by the Humanitarian Bowl

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Holly Anderson
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-994876581-1230654624.jpg
Welcome to your debut, No. 10. This year's edition of the Humanitarian Bowl lives up to its name by treating the rest of the country to what's probably their first view of Nevada sophomore quarterback Colin Kaepernick, a lanky, side-armed slinger who racked up nearly 2,500 yards passing, another 1,000 on the ground, the WAC Offensive Player of the Year award and, according to a colleague of mine, plays "like an angry ostrich on the loose." Having never seen an angry or frightened ostrich, or really an ostrich displaying emotions of any sort, I'm unreasonably excited for his coming-out party against Maryland. It wouldn't be a proper cotillion without snap judgments by strangers, so let's break down the rest of the night, pageant-style:
Talent. As any pageant coach worth her exorbitant consulting fee will tell you, the first thing you have to do is make it down that long, shiny flight of stairs without falling on your face. Nobody wants to see a contestant with a bloody nose and missing front tooth twirl a fire baton (not in a formal setting, anyway). In other words, Maryland has a lot to answer for this postseason. Initially dazzling wins over solid-ish Cal, Wake Forest and North Carolina are exasperatingly offset by clumsy, confounding stumbles against Middle Tennessee State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Florida State and Boston College, none of them close. Maybe the Terps should have scaled down to three-inch heels.
The Wolf Pack, on the other hand, has a healthy surplus of skill, a quirky-looking scheme that produced a second 1,000-yard rusher (the excellently-named Vai Taua) ... and dropped all three of its games against ranked opponents. To overextend our already tortured metaphor, they're sweeping the boat show circuit and local radio beauty contests. It's time to see how they measure up on basic cable.
Evening Wear. First, make sure it goes with blue turf; many an unaware broadcast has been brought down by clashing uniforms. Whites and grays are good, an advantage for pasty Nevada coach Chris Ault, who excels in subtly tweaking traditional looks to his personal style. The Terps' Ralph Friedgen, though, is always a wildcard -- the ever-resourceful Fridge has has pulled off more size nines and gussied up more lopsided cleavage in his day than most coaches have even encountered.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-875641374-1230654654.jpg
Interview. Uncomfortable questions abound for both contestants. Maryland: You were shut out at Virginia by an Al Groh-coached team coming off a 31-3 loss to Duke. How did that make you feel? And Nevada, over to you: How would you describe your emotions after allowing ten touchdowns to a Missouri squad so clearly suffering from an '07 hype hangover of the highest order? No, you're not allowed to answer in the form of a question.
Swimsuit Competition. Kaepernick's signature "large, flightless bird" motif against Maryland quarterback Chris Turner's marginally unsettling hobbit curls? Push, as long as they both remember to smile.

[FONT=arial, helvetica][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]UK running back Allen ineligible to play Friday[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
By Jody Demling
jdemling@courier-journal.com
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- The already limited offense of the University of Kentucky football team will be without yet another weapon in Friday's AutoZone Liberty Bowl against East Carolina.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]UK coach Rich Brooks said backup running back Moncell Allen did not make the trip because he is academically ineligible.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]"We have other guys that are eligible to play," Brooks said. "I won't have to worry quite as much about the rotations. Obviously, Tony (Dixon) and Alfonso (Smith) will get more reps."[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Allen, a 5-foot-7, 225-pound sophomore from New Orleans, carried 38 times for 202 yards and one touchdown and had five catches for 39 yards and one TD this season. He led UK with 46 yards rushing in its win over Arkansas.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Dixon and Smith are now the only two healthy scholarship tailbacks for the Wildcats.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Wide receiver Dicky Lyons and running back Derrick Locke were both sidelined with season-ending injuries earlier in the season, and freshman quarterback Randall Cobb had surgery on his knee and is out.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica][SIZE=+2]Sanders joins team[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]UK quarterbacks coach Randy Sanders was back at practice after staying behind in Lexington for an extra day with kidney stones.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Sanders said he was still in some pain but made it through yesterday's two-hour practice.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica][SIZE=+2]Biggest loser[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]East Carolina defensive tackle Linval Joseph weighed in at 373 pounds last December when the Pirates took on Boise State in the Hawaii Bowl. This season, he's lighter and playing well.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]But the 6-6 sophomore from Alachua, Fla., had offseason back troubles requiring surgery. He didn't participate in spring drills and returned lighter this fall -- at 300 pounds.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Joseph started the final eight games of this season, was an honorable-mention All-Conference-USA performer and has 36 tackles.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica][SIZE=+2]Practice site changed[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]UK practiced Sunday at Rhodes College but changed yesterday to the Memphis University School, a boys' prep school.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial, helvetica]Brooks said he was worried about wet field conditions at Rhodes. The new site, where UK will practice today, has an artificial surface.[/FONT]

Have you seen any updates to Minnesota wr decker's injury ?? been looking and can't find anything....
nice side boobies.. thanks..

The Wannabe Wagerer: Raiders, not Rebels, reign in the New Year

Hey Jenny Slater's Doug Gillett offers bowl betting advice without bias, malice or credibility. Or, you know, money.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-946419217-1230665473.jpg
The Pick: Texas Tech (-5.5) vs. Ole Miss
I’m Willing to Bet: Powell Open Seas bunk bed
Approximate Value: $1,099 at OneWayFurniture.com
I've already seen a number of pundits pick Ole Miss over Texas Tech as their "Upset Special" of the bowl season, and I have to say I'm a little mystified. Yes, we're all impressed by the turnaround Houston Nutt engineered in Oxford, turning the Rebels from a winless-in-conference doormat to a New Year's Day bowler in a single season. But the Rebs' season-ending five-game winning streak isn't exactly rock-solid: It includes a slim win over a lousy Arkansas team, a sloppy 17-7 victory over an even lousier Auburn team and a road win over LSU after the Tigers headed for the exits mentally following their overtime loss to Alabama two weeks earlier.
The anti-TTU pundits seem convinced the Raiders will be distracted and disinterested after getting snubbed by both the BCS and the Heisman voters. It's just as likely the opposite is true: What if Harrell wants to show the Heisman voters what a mistake they made by leaving him off the list of finalists, and fatten his inevitable NFL contract in the process? If that's the case, then take the Red Raiders minus five-and-a-half against Ole Miss' 61st-ranked pass defense, and wager liberally -- in fact, I'd go nuts and bet this sweet pirate-themed bunk bed, which will make you the envy of Tech coach Mike Leach and fellow pirate enthusiasts everywhere.
The Pick: Boston College (-4) vs. Vanderbilt
I’m Willing to Bet: Limited-edition Martin Elvis Presley Commemorative Edition D-28M guitar
Approximate Value: $9,199 at eBay
I'd like to be happy for Vanderbilt this week, I really would. Earning your first bowl bid in nearly a quarter-century is nothing to sneeze at. But let's be honest here: If these guys didn't have “Vanderbilt” on their unis, they'd be just another 6-6 team that had won exactly once since mid-October, and nobody would care too much about this game. Since their stunning 5-0 start, the Commodores have managed to lose head-scratchers to Duke, Mississippi State and even a Tennessee team that had just gotten punked by Wyoming. For the last month-and-a-half, it was same old Vanderbilt.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-661753151-1230665525.jpg
So I have no idea why Boston College is only a four-point favorite here, unless the oddsmakers are convinced the Eagles will be bummed by dropping from a potential BCS bid to the Music City Bowl. Even at their least interested, BC has played some solid defense this year -- the Eagles currently sixth in the nation in total defense -- and that spells doom for Vandy's 117th-ranked offense. Unless the Commodores rediscover some of their turnover-margin mojo, they'll be lucky to score in the double digits Wednesday, much less come within four points. Instead, if you're really looking to make a splash in the Motor City, look no further than this high-dollar reproduction of Elvis's 1955 D-28 guitar, which rocked Nashville harder than the Commodores ever have.
The Pick: Utah (+10.5) vs. Alabama
I’m Willing to Bet: DVD of "My Cousin Vinny"
Approximate Value: $9.99 at Amazon.com
If I were a prospective bettor looking for a team that's really in danger of a bowl-season letdown -- oh wait! I am -- then I'd take a long hard look at the Alabama Crimson Tide, who were chomping at the bit for a shot at their 13th national title, right up until they ran into Tim Tebow and the Florida buzzsaw in the SEC championship game. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to this because I live in Birmingham and I'm surrounded by Bama fans who'd been shopping hotel rooms in Miami since the beginning of October, but a lot of those Tiders have been walking around like the Christmas shopper who got to the store just in time to watch the last Tickle Me Elmo get snatched off the shelf.
Since their season-defining backhanding of Georgia in September, the Tide have dispatched their store-brand opponents with relative ease, but have taken their sweet time putting away the better teams on their schedule. They'll ring in the new year with a BCS-bowl win, but Utah has enough talent to test the Tide's relative lack of depth and ensure that Alabama doesn't win by double digits. But don't ask me, ask esteemed defense attorney Vincent “Vinny” Gambini, who can vouch for these Utes' strength of character as well as anyone.
The Pick: Tulsa (+2.5) vs. Ball State
I’m Willing to Bet: Mac Pro with two 3.2-gigahertz Quad-Core Intel Xeon processors, 4GB of RAM, and two 500GB hard drives
Approximate Value: $5,299
Want to know when this game went from “tossup” in my mind to “virtual lock”? About 11 a.m. on December 15, when Ball State announced that head coach Brady Hoke was leaving to take the top job at San Diego State. BSU moved quickly to find a replacement -- they didn't bother with an “interim coach” or anything, they just promoted offensive coordinator Stan Parrish straight away -- but interim tag or no, bowl teams are 4-10 over the past four seasons when forced to make a coaching switch between the end of the regular season and their bowl game.
Based on Tulsa's prolific spread attack and the recent coaching upheaval in Muncie, I'm picking Tulsa to pull the minor upset in Mobile. But if that's a bit too risky a proposition for you, you can't go wrong taking the over (77), because you're going to need some heavy-duty computing power to keep track of the score anytime these two offenses like these get together.

Longhorns finish first Fiesta practice

from Bevo Beat by Suzanne Halliburton
SCOTTSDALE, Az. — For the next seven days, the Longhorns will be the Artichokes.
That’s because they’re practicing at Scottsdale Community College, home of the Artichokes. The facilities and fields are posh, drawing compliments from the head of the UT grounds crew.
The football team arrived in Phoenix Monday, a week before UT’s game against 10th-ranked Ohio State. They practiced for the first time Tuesday morning.
Coach Mack Brown kept the workout a light one, knowing that his team had been off six days for the holidays. It’s similar to the somewhat extended break Texas took before the 2006 Rose Bowl.
The Longhorns worked out in shorts. They’ll don full pads Wednesday. It’ll also be the first day Brown will put his team through “Not Our Standard” drills. Longhorns who screw up a play or take a lazy step in workouts will force the whole offensive or defensive team to do up downs.
Brown also is allowing the seniors, along with junior quarterback Colt McCoy, to decide the curfew each evening. They’ll be out late Wednesday, but not because of New Year’s Eve celebrating. Rather, players from Texas and Ohio State will take in the Insight Bowl, featuring Minnesota and Kansas.
The Texas players likely will be rooting for the Gophers, who are coached by former Longhorn assistant Tim Brewster. Brewster’s son, Nolan, is a freshman safety for Texas.

Miami Will Release Mr. Football Outside the State Lines

by Chas RichFiled under: Miami, ACC
rmarve.jpg
As soon as the news was out that Patrick Nix was fired as offensive coordinator at Miami, the odds on quarterback Robert Marve transferring jumped from probable to near certainty. Marve was close to Nix. Much closer than he was to head coach Randy Shannon.

Harris played well enough in the Emerald Bowl to Shannon that he stated that Harris would go into 2009 as the starter. That was enough for Marve.
"I had to get out," Marve told the AP from his family's home in Tampa. "I just decided that I can't play for coach Shannon."
Marve has requested and received his release from Miami, but it apparently has come with some tight restrictions. He can't transfer to any team in Florida, plus no teams in the ACC or SEC. That means Florida, LSU and Tennessee -- three programs he was rumored to be considering are out.

No shock, the Marve family is not happy about the restrictions.
"We don't quite know the rules or how to approach things, but we're going to challenge it," Eugene Marve said.
Good luck with that.

Bowlin': Wherein Oklahoma State tries to punch like a heavyweight in the Holiday Bowl

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-210591252-1230673931.jpg
One of the mystifying tendencies of bowl season is the persistent urge to use a game as a 'catalyst' or to 'build momentum' for next fall, as if anything from a game in late December really survives the offseason and puts an extra spring in players' steps the following August. An uplifting bowl win might be cited as "motivation" to maximize the intervening eight months. But then, the losers are "motivated" by the loss, too, aren't they? And the wind sprints go on either way.
But preseason rankings are real, and those opinions can be heavily manipulated by a strong (or putrid) bowl effort. For example: Oklahoma State fielded a championship-caliber offense this year that averaged 42 points per game; a defense that improved enough to finish in the top half of the Big 12 in every major category and held Texas and Missouri (both on the road) to regular season lows on the scoreboard; and a final record whose only blemishes came at the hands of three division rivals that, when not splitting games with one another, combined to go 34-0 against everyone else. OSU itself was 9-0 against everyone else, and can earn its first 10-win season since Barry Sanders was racing into the Holiday Bowl record books 20 years ago with a win over Oregon.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-781683671-1230673972.jpg
The Cowboys also happen to be returning virtually their entire offense in 2009, including their record-setting quarterback, three running backs who combined for nearly 2,700 yards on the ground, a likely All-American wide receiver and an All-Big 12 left tackle who might be the best pro prospect on the team. With that haul back alongside half the defense, unfettered access to Boone Pickens' checkbook and a steady upward trend entering Mike Gundy's fifth season, what does finishing off a 10-3 season tonight mean for 2009, as opposed to settling for 9-4? Everything, according to The Oklahoman's John Rohde, who pegs OSU as a serious preseason favorite to compete with Oklahoma and Texas for the Big 12 South in 2009, a la this year's version of Texas Tech -- if the Cowboys can break the double-digit win column against the Ducks, cementing this team as one of the best in school history.
Realize: Oklahoma State hasn't won a conference championship since sharing the old Big Eight crown in 1976; that came 50 years after its only other title, in the 1926 Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association. Expectations are a rare and precious thing in these parts. If a tenth win makes the difference between looking forward to "Pretty Good Oklahoma State" and "The Best Team Ever at Oklahoma State" next fall, that's a good reason to come out tonight with guns blazing.

It's a beautiful day in Scottsdale

SCOTTSDALE, Az. — Ohio State coach Jim Tressel bragged on the idyllic Arizona weather and Mack Brown lauded all things Fiesta when the two teams arrived here to prepare for their game on Jan. 5.
And the media is enjoying the Fiesta as well.
The teams and the media are based in ritzy Scottsdale, with all staying at resort hotels (at discounted prices). No wonder all teams aspire to an invitation to one of the Bowl Championship Series games.

Bowl Season '08: Diddy Drives Cincy From Miami Hotel

by Chas RichFiled under: Cincinnati, BCS, Big East, Bowl Games
pdiddy.jpg
FanHouse gathers around the TV to bring you insights from Bowl Season '08.

The Cincy football team finds itself changing hotels the night before the Orange Bowl. Not because of some plan from the Cincy coaches to avoid Virginia Tech fans trying to disrupt the sleep of the players. Not for some motivational strategy. No, it is because Fountainebleau Hotel where the Bearcats are staying will also be the location of Sean "P. Diddy" Combs' New Years Eve party.
"It's just too much of a distraction," Kelly said. "We have secured another hotel. If things go the way I've seen them go in that hotel after 12 o'clock, we'll be in another hotel on New Year's Eve."
Go figure. A bunch of college athletes at a luxury hotel in Miami supposedly getting a good night's sleep in their rooms before the biggest game in their careers. All the while a huge, high-end, trendy New Years Eve Party rages below. What could go wrong?

The quote does raise other questions. When was Brian Kelly at a New Years Eve Party at the Fountainebleau Hotel that he's seen the way they go? And who was hosting that party?

Marlon Lucky's Husker Finale

from Corn Nation by Husker Mike
Thursday's Gator Bowl will be the final game in a Husker uniform for I-back Marlon Lucky. Still bothered by a turf toe injury, he's available to play though it's unclear just how the injury will affect his performance. I expect he'll start, but with the emergence of Roy Helu, it's unclear just how much he'll play.
Certainly not the way most fans pictured the way Marlon Lucky's career would end when he arrived on campus.
I've got to admit that I've got mixed feelings about Lucky and the end of his career. The weird thing is that my thoughts on Lucky has very little to do with Marlon Lucky or what he's done.
It all goes back to October 16, 2004. Nebraska was playing Baylor, fresh off of a sixty point loss to Texas Tech. The Huskers bounced back from that horrible loss by committing to the running game, as they combined 41 runs with only 20 passes. The commitment to running the ball opened up the passing game, as Joe Dailey had his finest day as a Husker, completing 13 passes for 342 yards and five touchdowns.
I thought Bill Callahan had turned a corner and had finally decided to commit to a running game instead of forcing a West Coast passing offense on a program renowned for power football.
I was wrong. You see, there was another reason for the Huskers running the ball that day. During the game, the student section started chanting "Mar! Lon! Luck-E! (clap, clap, clapclapclap)"...which meant nothing to me at that time. Soon after the game, I learned that Marlon Lucky was a "Five Star" running back visiting that day from California. When he committed to the Huskers a few weeks later, he was being compared to Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson. He, along with quarterback Harrison Beck, were going to be the crown jewels of Bill Callahan's first recruiting class.
This group was going to revolutionalize Husker football with an influx of talent that had never been seen before in Lincoln. The message was being sent by the new regime: Nebraska's football problems were going to be solved by recruiting.
Or so we were told as Bill Callahan's first Husker football team proceeded to finish 5-6 and end a 36 year year string of consecutive bowl appearances.
I'll freely admit it...I didn't buy it. Recruiting was important, but it wasn't the only factor. And I had seen enough from Bill Callahan in 2004 to question whether he was the right coach. I also had questions about Harrison Beck from the day he committed to Nebraska. He was interviewed on the radio and immediately turned me off with his cockiness and immature attitude. But fans ate it up; KETV-channel 7 even gave Beck his own blog.
The bad impressions that Callahan and Beck made on me that fall enveloped Lucky as well. It wasn't anything Lucky said or did; it was purely and completely guilt by association.
We all want to forget the Bill Callahan clusterfool. Harrison Beck left Lincoln after one season in a huff, and went to North Carolina State, where he's gone on to throw 16 interceptions versus only 6 touchdowns in spot action in his career.
Marlon Lucky went on to be a decent running back in his Husker career. He ran for over 1,000 yards last season along with 705 yards receiving. Not bad, and certainly a playmaker in the open field at times.
Good player? Absolutely. Even worthy of some pre-season praise as an all-Big XII running back. But once again, people try to make Marlon Lucky bigger than he actually is. Even throwing his name into the Heisman Trophy race, for cripes sake.
The hype finally got to Lucky a couple of years ago; he ended up in the intensive care unit in a Lincoln hospital. This season, he was having an OK senior season until the turf toe injury flared up. Sophomore Roy Helu has stepped in nicely and shown himself as a potential star running back. Helu to me looks like the best Husker running back since Ahman Green.
So is Marlon Lucky a disappointment? It depends on what you compare him to. Compare him to some of his predecessors in recent years such Josh Davis, Dahrran Diedrick, Dan Alexander, and David Horne, and he looks pretty darn good. If that's the comparison, Lucky looks like one of the best running backs Nebraska has seen in the last ten years.
That's how we should remember him. Not for what some people thought he would be or should have been, but rather for what he actually did in a Husker uniform. I know this coaching staff has a world of respect for Marlon Lucky and what he's done. In that light, he's had a very successful career at Nebraska.

Bowlin': The Music City Bowl is not living up to its potential.

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Holly Anderson
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-100472632-1230737801.jpg
A new year dawns, less than 24 short hours away! The sun is shining, frost is sparkling on the ground, and Vanderbilt and Boston College's rosters are filled with players just jumping at the chance to play their final college game in Nashville's Music City Bowl ... Yeah, no, not really. They're bound for MBA programs at mid-tier business schools, and this game is just the wilted maraschino cherry in a watery Manhattan of a season. For Vandy, at least, it's a long-chased fruit: The Commodores haven't earned a postseason berth since 1982 and have only one bowl win in their entire history -- in 1955. This is the long way of saying they will knock back this paltry cocktail and like it, mister, and to invite you to look back at some other disappointments along the way as the calendar bleakly turns:
March 24, 1986. Mackenzi Adams is born a boy, not the promised girl, to shocked parents in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Still under the effects of an epidural and feeling particularly spiteful, his mother forges ahead with the planned moniker. (Take note, however: It can be argued that if there's a place for everything and everything in its place in the universe, there's no better niche for a dude named "Mackenzi-with-an-I" than quarterbacking at Vandy.)
Oct. 31, 1991. Inspired by his "pet" raccoon "Baron," four-year-old Mark Herzlich dresses as a raccoon for Halloween, beginning a lifelong fascination with large procyonids and more than a decade of very expensive therapy.
June 9, 2001. A young Chris Crane announces to his dismayed parents his intention to apply to college instead of entering the family textile business. His family is grievously disappointed, though when he turns out to be as kinda-all right as a quarterback as he was at manning the shop, they take comfort at least in that consistency, until a season-ending broken collarbone against Wake Forest threatened to tear the family apart.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-938947364-1230737819.jpg
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-731151487-1230737837.jpg
Aug. 28-Oct. 4, 2008. Vanderbilt snaps off five straight wins, two of them in-conference, and in a stroke of bizarro world fortune find themselves preening atop the SEC East. The streak will end the following Saturday against Mississippi State, losses to several woeful teams including Duke will follow, and their only remaining win to squeak into eligibility will come against a staggering Kentucky squad in mid-November.
Dec. 7, 2008. A day that will live in BC infamy. Despite finishing the season with only four losses, none of them to particularly terrible teams (with the possible exception of Clemson), Atlantic Division champion Boston College accepts the conference's fifth-place bid to the freaking Music City Bowl. Oh, ACC Parity, will you never stop giving?
Dec. 31, 2008. Boston College and Vanderbilt meet in Nashville to close the season; parents huddle over weak coffee in the stands and wonder, if they'd just applied themselves a little more, if they could've gotten into Duke or Harvard. Happy New Year, everybody!

Bowlin': A Sun Bowl where everything is gravy

Here is a brief visual summation of Oregon State's season:
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JMQAQlHoQT8&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
So: Was it fun? That's in the eye of the beholder. Generally, given the meh expectations and the horrendous 0-2 start, yeah, it was a total blast. Given the long ascension sparked by the USC upset in September, it might take a while for a few Beaver partisans to get their stomachs back after the bottom dropped out against Oregon (did it really have to be Oregon?) just as the view was getting really good on top of six straight wins. Queasy or not, you can't complain about the Sun Bowl, but when you were 60 minutes from the Rose Bowl, you can't be entirely "Happy to be Here," either.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-138013685-1230743754.jpg
In my mind, Oregon State has nothing to prove today against Pittsburgh. The Beavers have already exceeded expectations for the third year in a row, already beaten and competed with elite and ranked teams, and are missing two players (the Flying Rodgers Bros., James and Jacquizz) who accounted for a little more than half the team's total yards. If they allow, say, 120 yards to LeSean McCoy in a competitive loss, my opinion of OSU will be exactly the same as it is before kickoff; unless the Beavers fail to show up altogether and get run out of the stadium in a way Pitt hasn't done to anyone except Louisville, my esteem for OSU can only go up if it somehow manages to rebound for a win even without its top playmakers.
As for Pittsburgh, maybe I just need to see the Panthers this one last time to get my mind around a Dave Wannstedt-led team as a potential top-15 outfit. Seven of their nine wins were over eventual bowl teams, reasonably sturdy teams like West Virginia, UConn, South Florida and Iowa, and I am the champion of McCoy, my favorite running back who was coldly spurned by the All-America teams. I almost want to root against him today just to lower the chances he'll go pro. As a team, though, they haven't won my confidence; they don't do anything particularly well. The only statistical category in which Pitt ranks in the top-25 nationally is net punting (No. 23).
But it's taken me three years to come around to Oregon State's quiet staying power, too, as it goes for its third nine-win season in a row. If Pitt wins ten while going 8-2 against winning teams, and that I will find very hard to deny, whatever they look like on paper.

Paul Johnson Describes His Flexbone Offense: It Derived From the Run and Shoot, and Then the Option Came Rolling In

from Smart Football - Analysis and Strategy by Chris by Chris
I've been writing a lot about Paul Johnson's offense recently. But sometimes, it's best to get it from the horse's mouth. (Note: It's not the wing-t, and it's not just the triple option. And, although close to the wishbone, it has evolved from it. That's why it is called the flexbone: the run & shoot doubleslot formation with some 'shoot passing concepts, and lots of option, though with plenty of other wrinkles sprinkled in too.)

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MSR3Y-yl1iQ&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout

Buckeye D-backs are 'stressed out'

from Bevo Beat by Line Editor

Malcolm Jenkins may have the Thorpe Award in hand, making him the nation’s top defensive back, but that doesn’t mean the Ohio State cornerback isn’t worried about Texas’ passing game.
“You definitely see pass first,” he said Wednesday of the Longhorns’ offense. “That’s what stands out and how they get the ball around through the air. The second thing that stands out to me is how patient Colt is. He is not always looking to run first. Once nothing is there, he can move around the pocket. Things start to open up when guys have to cover for more than five seconds. Hopefully we can get our D-line to not let him run around too often. On the back end, it stresses us out a lot.”
If he’s wound that tight, he might want to take that giant rubberband off his head (see photo above).
Or, he could chill out a little with his fellow All-American, OSU linebacker James Laurinaitis. Asked what he would be doing with his free time during bowl prep, Laurinaitis said, “Relax by the pool. You don’t get this relax time back in Columbus. To be able to sit by a pool in perfect weather. We definitely have had a little bit more free time than we’ve had in the past. I think the guys are relaxed and enjoying this.”
Everyone except the defensive backs, that is.

Three Longhorn redshirts didn't make bowl trip

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Three freshmen missed the Fiesta Bowl trip, coach Mack Brown announced Wednesday.
The three are defensive tackle Jarvis Humphrey, linebacker Dravannti Johnson and wide receiver D.J. Monroe.
Each was redshirting this season.
No reason was provided for their absence. A UT spokesman said there was a different reason for each one, none of which was “serious.”
The younger players have been scrimmaging each day, so at a minimum, the three are missing quality reps they might not have enjoyed during the regular season.

Bevo's Daily Roundup 1.01.09

from Burnt Orange Nation by dimecoverage
bdr_header_medium.jpg
JaMarkus McFarland is not upset about the story that ran in the New York Times, but he is unhappy with people's reaction to the article.

The President weighs in on determining a national champion. The year is 1969 and the game is Arkansas vs. Texas.

The Horns are practicing at Scottsdale Community College, home of the Fighting Artichokes. A vegetable for a mascot?
Mack Brown is not happy with idea of a four team playoff.
"I know there [are] about eight teams or 10 teams this year that look like they could maybe play for a national championship," Brown said. "And we talk about us not getting in, there are a lot of other teams that could be mad too when you look at it. And then you have a team like [Texas] Tech that wins 11 games and doesn't get to a BCS bowl."
It sounds as if some of the Buckeyes are getting a little stressed out about the game with Texas.
"You definitely see pass first," Malcolm Jenkins said Wednesday of the Longhorns' offense. "That's what stands out and how they get the ball around through the air. The second thing that stands out to me is how patient Colt (McCoy) is. He is not always looking to run first. Once nothing is there, he can move around the pocket. Things start to open up when guys have to cover for more than five seconds. Hopefully we can get our D-line to not let him run around too often. On the back end, it stresses us out a lot."
40acressports discusses the advantages of bowl games: The extra practices for the staff and the players.

The Ohio State University Buckeyes

It does not sound as if the Buckeyes are going to have any fun on this trip.
I spoke with someone who has seen the Ohio State team itinerary, and there is apparently no “fun time” side trips or events planned. No Insight Bowl or Suns games for the Buckeyes. They’re going out to dinner twice as a team, but that’s it.
Whether that’s good or bad, who knows, but I found it interesting. It’s either going to make the Buckeyes intensely focused or it’s going to increase the pressure they might be feeling to finally win a national-stage game.
The Ohio State athletic program is feeling the effects of the economy.
Ohio State football might be as close to recession-proof as anything in central Ohio, but the Buckeyes have been unable to sell all of their allotment of 17,500 Fiesta Bowl tickets. Seats are now available to the public, which might be a first for an Ohio State trip to a premier bowl game.
"I would say we're a little surprised, yes," said Bill Jones, OSU's assistant athletic director for ticketing. "It's a culmination of things. I think the economy is 60 to 70 percent of it."
Eleven Warriors is having a Fiesta Bowl score contest. You can win a t-shirt if you guess the final score, or be the entry that is the closest. But then it is an Ohio t-shirt.

A coach that actually has more personality than Houston Nutt. Mike Leach definitely wins this battle.
Leach will be on 60 Minutes in January. Double T Nation has a segment of that interview.
Chase Coffman, Missouri, and Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State, suffered significant injuries in their respective bowl games.
Coffman's father told the Kansas City Star that his son broke the fifth metatarsal bone in his left foot on Missouri's final offensive play in the Valero Alamo Bowl.
The Tulsa World reported Wednesday that Robinson sustained a separated right shoulder in the second quarter of the Cowboys' 42-31 loss to Oregon in the Pacific Life Holiday Bowl. Robinson remained in the game and accounted for 383 total yards as he withstood several punishing hits after the original injury occurred.
The Sooners

Urban Meyer knows his secondary will have their hands full with OU's offense.
“The best thing about Sam Bradford is he sets his feet and throws the football,” Meyer said. “He doesn’t panic, he doesn’t run out of the pocket, he doesn’t scramble – (those things) made Tim a better quarterback. When Tim first got here, if things looked ugly, he was out of there. If you watch film (of Bradford), he gets to his third checkdown and stays in the pocket. That is hard to teach.”
“A lot of guys don’t have a chance to get to their third checkdown because their offensive line isn’t good enough,” Meyer continued. “It’s 2.5-3 seconds and the ball’s getting out. Against an average offensive line, you’re on the ground. With those four seniors and a junior, he gets to his third checkdown. That’s a helluva problem for a secondary. That’s unusual.”
OU linebacker Austin Box is expected to play against Florida.
Oklahoma middle linebacker [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR]Austin Box, who suffered a sprained knee in the last regular-season game and did not play in the Big 12 Championship Game, is expected to practice today.
Defensive coordinator Brent Venables said Box "looked good" running and making cuts during Tuesday’s workout and expected Box and Mike Balogun to share the position in the BCS Championship Game against Florida on Jan. 8 in Miami.
Bob Stoops as Denver Bronco head coach?
CBSSports' Dennis Dodd takes a look at Bob Stoops and his career at Oklahoma.

And finally...

Rock M Nation has the Sooners flight to Miami.

Happy bowling and have a safe and happy New Year.

GL tomorrow, buddy:shake:

doesn't seem to be a good year for that system...though off the top of my head, i think it's doing worse with totals than sides.

It's doing about as good as I would have done on my own anyway. Only 2 games under .500 (1 game under with Iowa covering this morning).

Back