CFB Bowl Season News, Picks, and T&A

The Spread HD

from Conquest Chronicles by Paragon SC
One of the more intriguing match-ups for the Rose Bowl will be the USC defense against the PSU offense.

During the off-season Penn St. installed the “Spread HD” offense. This is an offense that is run heavy or “a glorified wishbone” as Jay Paterno calls it. Based on what I have been reading it would appear that this a standard I Formation type offense with a heavy dose of QB in the shotgun...I think that is a little over simplified, as they will move a receiver into the backfield and mix in a little of the fly sweep that we saw Oregon St. use in our loss to them.

This is a solid offense that is #4 in the nation in point differential with a 27.77-point differential average. They are behind Florida, USC and Oklahoma so this team can score some points. PSU is also #4 in yard differential 88.25 yards per game; USC is #1 at 247 yards per game. Based on that I think its safe to say that SC has to be on guard for this game, no slouching or taking it easy. PSU is underrated in this game and with a number of pundits not giving them much of a chance you know they will be hungry and will come out firing in this game. This is not Illinois from last year and while the 2006 Michigan team was ranked higher PSU “may” be better and deserves to be taken seriously as they should command our respect.

Instead of trying to break this offense down and all of its components I think it’s more important to see how PSU will match-up against USC’s Defense.

One thing that stands out is PSU’s ability to protect the ball in the air…they have thrown only 4 INT’s all season. Sanchez has had some issues throwing into coverage or “not seeing” defenders in the area where he is throwing. Both teams have issues with putting the ball on the ground at 9 fumbles each, so that’s a wash. SC still leads the turnover ratio over PSU at +4. Simply stated, SC will have to work extra hard to get turnovers as PSU won’t beat themselves here (SC can’t cough up the ball either!). PSU’s primary weapon in the backfield is Evan Royster. He isn’t a household name in these parts but he is averaging around 6+ YPC, this is definitely the strength of the PSU offense. He has some speed and a great offensive line to make some holes but looking at the numbers he can be contained. In their last 5 out of 6 games Royster was held to under a hundred yards. Those teams were Wisconsin, Ohio State, Iowa, Indiana and MSU. Again, looking at the numbers those defenses are ranked (in the order I listed) #32, #8, #13, #107, and #62 nationally. The rub here is that we don’t know when or if Royster was pulled from those games thus possibly keeping his numbers down. So those stats “may” be a bit misleading. Another player to keep an eye on is Freshman Stephon Green. At 5-10 he presents some problems like Quizz Rodgers in that he is very fast and has he has the capability to really break for some yardage. The fact is SC has been very successful stopping the run and it would appear that this is PSU’s strength on offense.

I have seen some message board posts where some seem to think that Illinois’ Mendenhall is better than Royster, trying to draw the line that if we could contain Mendenhall we should be able to contain Royster. I think that is a mistake…there is no way that Royster is better than Mendenhall but the PSU offensive line is much better than Illinois last year. PSU led the Big 10 in pass efficiency, sacks allowed, total offense & scoring offense. SC’s ability to contain Mendenhall was because Juice Williams was constantly under pressure so the plays could never fully develop. I think SC’s defense will have similar results but it won’t be a cakewalk. Another thing to understand is that a lot of people want to point to common opponents, both USC and PSU played Oregon St and Ohio State and while its easy to look at those results to try and draw conclusions both teams got better as the season went on. PSU fans want to point to the drubbing they gave the Beavers who we lost to as some form of dominance but the tOSU defense that we beat soundly got better and PSU had a difficult time with them in Columbus. Most teams get better as the season moves on, USC certainly did, so it would not surprise me that if PSU played Oregon St. later in the season they would probably still win but not at that MOV. So, to me those type of comparrissons are not an effective argument...I say shut up and play!

Trojan Football Analysis has run some great pieces (too numerous to link them all here) breaking down the PSU offense. It would appear that regardless of the formation that they will line up in PSU, more often than not, will run the ball. That’s is USC strength…stopping the run. I have no problem if PSU wants to throw the ball down field either, it’s not like the USC secondary isn't up for the task but I would not be surprised if Clark tried to probe them - its going to be too irrestiable for Clark not to at least try...

Darryl Clark runs the show throwing for over 2300 yards with 17 TD’s and only 4 INT’s. Those are pretty good numbers but he is not perfect as that late pick in the Iowa game showed. His performance against Iowa was also partly due to the PSU O line not giving Clark the best pass protection they could have. The question is if the PSU O line has another lapse like that and they fall behind can he keep his confidence up? That was seen as an issue early in the season. Clark is a good passer but he averages about 190 YPG, showing that PSU is more committed to the run. Even with their solid wide receiving corps of Derrick Williams, Deon Butler and Jordan Norwood Clark is going to have trouble exploiting the USC secondary so I wouldn’t be surprised if we saw dink-and-dunk type short yardages passes to try and probe the USC defense for some weaknesses while picking up 4-7 yards at a time. That is always how Pete Carroll plays the defense in the begining few series before snapping the trap shut. Bend, don't break then drop the hammer once you break the code.
Clark will have difficulty trying to use his god given skills to run the ball, as USC’s defense has been excellent at stopping those runs almost at the point of attack. I wouldn’t say it plays into SC’s hands but you can only do so much of that as sooner or later you will have to commit to the run or try to put it up. I mentioned the fly sweep earlier- PSU will put Williams all over the place to try and confuse opposing defenses. We'll see, the Ohio State defense USC should have seen early in the season did a pretty good job of containing the PSU offense so there is a template that SC can refer to. Its not going to be easy but it won't be impossible either.
Due to a concussion Clark was also not the QB who engineered PSU’s win against Ohio State that was his back-up Devlin who has since transferred to Delaware so the USC defense needs to get to Clark early to rattle his confidence. That’s going to be tough because the PSU O line does not give up many sacks and SC really isn’t a sack machine this year but that really doesn’t matter because if SC can put pressure on Clark that might make him commit some mental errors. Coincidentally our friends at BSD are saying the same thing about Sanchez…hit him early to rattle his confidence. I guess they didn’t watch the ucla game, Sanchez will take some shots and get right back in there...all ucla did was strengthen his resolve.

I think USC holds PSU to 14 points or less as this will be a defensive battle for both teams. The question is how many points will USC score against a very good PSU defense?

good luck on the irish tonight RJ, hope we cash them.
last nights loss was tough....
hope youre enjoying vegas though, the only way to take that game is with a full glass of gin and a nice pair of tits in your face (leave the wifey at home for that one)

in the midst of everything, i was wondering, what would RJEsq do? if youre petersen do you let the frogs score there?

TCU is not a turnover prone team at all. this team had a TO Margin of +13 and only fumbled 7 times all season. theyre not going to turn the ball over with 2 minutes left running in between the tackles. youre not going to get a TO, its just not going to happen. so what are you hoping to accomplish if youre boise? TCU was pounding the ball on the ground all game and rushed for 275.... that defense was exhausted. its not like there going to get a stop either....

we deserved that cover. doubled them in yards and it felt like the ross evans vs utah debacle all over again. dominating the stat sheet but not getting the cover. ugh.

Last edited:
Bowlin': Searching for meaning in the Sheraton Hawaii Bowl

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-70242115-1230139094.jpg
Notre Dame has a couple superficial things to play for tonight in Hawaii, namely a winning season and an end to the infamous nine-game losing streak in bowl games. When you've lost 16 of the last 17 against winning teams -- and the one win is a nailbiter over Navy -- you'll take any chance to improve that number, too. And, if nothing else, there's always recruiting: The Irish wouldn't want to further embarrass themselves in front of linebacker Manti T'eo, maybe the best prospect ever from the islands, who was spotted at a Notre Dame practice on Saturday. At least a recruiting coup is an actual, positive goal, instead of a desperate attempt to just please stop the bleeding. The Hawaii Bowl can't save the Irish's season, but it does offer enough to root against: It can be not the tenth straight bowl loss, not the third straight humiliating defeat to end the year and not the defeat that secures ND's first back-to-back losing seasons since 1985-86. At least things can end on an optimistic note, rendering 2008 a run-of-the-mill disappointment rather than another fiery tailspin.
And it's Christmas, for god's sake. Are we too "modern," too cynical to win one for little baby Touchdown Jesus? If so, then at least for Manti T'eo? Find your inspiration, Irish, and to those who cackle with mockery and call the Hawaii Bowl "meaningless," meet their charges with hope. At the end of another year of dashed ambitions and pain, somewhere deep inside, it's up to you to find your own reason for this postseason.

Thanks, VK. Easiest cover of the bowl season so far.

Think this blog entry sums it up:

Bowl Season '08: We Get It, Notre Dame Can Beat Mediocre Teams

Posted Dec 25th 2008 12:46AM by Chris Burke (author feed)
Filed under: Hawaii, Notre Dame, Bowl Games
douche.jpg
FanHouse gathers around the TV to bring you insights from Bowl Season '08.

Back when the bowl bids were handed out, there was a rumor that the Motor City Bowl desperately wanted Notre Dame to head in for a matchup with Central Michigan. The Irish refused -- one reason being that a Christmas trip to Hawaii is more appealing than a visit to Detroit. But deep down, I had a theory that Notre Dame thought a game against Hawaii might work out better than one against the high-powered Chips.

Whether or not that theory has legs, the decision to head to the island proved a solid one: Notre Dame absolutely pasted Hawaii, 49-21, ending a nine-game losing streak for the Irish in bowl games.

Things got off to a bit of a slow start -- ND led 7-0 after a sluggish first quarter. Sophomore quarterback Jimmy Clausen took over after that, though, hurling five touchdown passes and racking up 401 yards through the air. Clausen helped Notre Dame stretch its early lead to 28-7 at halftime, and 49-14 after three. Golden Tate hauled in six of Clausen's 22 completions for 177 yards and three scores.

All in all, it was a downright impressive showing by Clausen. The Irish came out throwing from their first play from scrimmage, and basically only utilized the running game in trying to keep Hawaii's defense honest. One of ESPN's announcers even went so far as to proclaim this Clausen's "coming out party." I won't go that far -- for reasons about to be addressed -- but it was a strong showing from a QB that could be in line for a huge 2009.

That said, I'm not sure how much you can take out of this game. Notre Dame desperately wanted to get that bowl drought Mouse off its back, and that showed in the way the Irish outhustled and outplayed the Warriors from the get-go. Other than that, though, this was kind of a throwaway postseason game for a program with the prestige of Notre Dame.

The Irish almost certainly didn't open any recruiting pipelines (surfing pun ... anyone?) with this trip. They had a national spotlight, but the Christmas Eve game has got to be one of the toughest for attracting television audiences.

Oh, and we're still not sure if the Irish are capable of beating a good team. Hawaii's a decent club, and has had its moments this year -- beating Fresno State on the road, holding off Nevada and nearly upsetting Cincinnati -- but these aren't the Colt Brennan Warriors from last year. Their 7-7 record still makes them the second-best team that Notre Dame beat after 8-5 Navy.

Hawaii got mashed physically in this one. The Warriors coughed up eight sacks, adding to their nation-leading total for the season, and barely flustered Clausen at all.

Some of that credit goes to Notre Dame, which executed its gameplan to perfection.

When it came down to it, Notre Dame needed this one -- of what would have been 10 straight bowl losses, this would have been arguably the worst. Instead, the Irish not only break that run, and end a two-game losing streak, but they finish above .500.

I can't be convinced that ND has turned a real corner until the Irish knock off a few ranked squads, but this provides some nice momentum into a 2009 season that sets up nicely for increased success.

The Defensive War For The Roses

from Conquest Chronicles by Signal to Noise
Or: Why Everyone Who's Entirely Sure That USC Will Win By Double Digits Is Lying.
(Note: I know some of this was covered by Paragon in the post below, but it's worth expounding on the defensive showdown coming on both sides.)
Per stats stolen from Yahoo, here are the top five teams in defense so far in the 2008 season:

1. USC (7.8 ppg, 206.1 yds per game, 17 INT)
  2. TCU (10.9, 215.1, 15)
  3. Boise State (12.3, 294.5, 22)
  4. Penn State (12.4, 263.9, 16)
  5. Florida (12.8, 279.3, 24)
No matter what you may think of the Big Televen's schedule or its relative downslide in the wake of the past two national championship games (never mind last year's defenestration of Illinois), it does not apply here, because giving up fewer than two touchdowns a game in a BCS conference is a mark of a very, very good team.
Where We Stand
When you break it down by individual category, USC's #1 overall ranking is due to topping the ranks in passing D (122.8) and finishing 4th in rush D (a stingy 83.3 yards per game, 7 rushing TDs allowed).
The most points allowed? 27 in the loss to Oregon State, much the result of one very sloppy first half. Stanford was the only other opponent to break 20 points, and that again came in a game with a large point differential at the end (45-23.)
Strength: the linebacking corps led by Brian Cushing and Rey Maualuga, teaming up with Fili Moala on the D line. A solid secondary led by Taylor Mays ties together a pass rush with good coverage downfield to break up plays or to keep receivers in front of them after the catch. With Daryll Clark and Evan Royster putting much of the LCD power into the Spread HD, the standouts need to get past the Nittany Lions' offensive line. This can be done: the Lions have given up a sack a game, on average -- but that still isn't a ton in the scheme of things. It's on Mays and the rest of the secondary to keep Derrick Williams, Jordan Norwood, and the rest of the Lions' receivers covered so that the front seven can get to Clark and disrupt his timing.
Obvious concern? Clark's mobility. One of the linebackers is going to have to play the "spy" role to catch him while rolling out or when he decides to take it himself. Secondary possibility? Derrick Williams taking direct snaps, although since you are already defending for 11 with Clark under center, that shouldn't throw the defense off guard.
The Formidable Opponent
Penn State gets to #4 overall with a 7th in rushing (93.9 ypg), despite being 12th in passing defense (168 per game, still stingy.) They allowed 24 points twice: first in an Illinois game that was not as close as the score indicated, then in their sole loss to Iowa on the road in Kinnick Stadium, mostly thanks to tough yards dug out by Shonn Greene. No one else got more than 18 points against them, and this was mostly done with a four-man line both holding feature backs of the likes of OSU's Chris Wells, Michigan State's Javon Ringer, and Wisconsin's P.J. Hill under 100 yards and putting the hurt on opposing QBs.
Aaron Maybin has been a beast, racking up 12 sacks while Jared Odrick's 300 lbs. helps stuff the run. LB Navorro Bowman is the latest star to emerge at "Linebacker U"; he recovered the crucial fumble leading to the game-winning score over Ohio State.
The only spot to exploit: possible weaknesses in the secondary. Anthony Scirotto is a fierce, hard hitting safety, but the team's #12 ranking in passing D suggests that a medium-range passing game, with the occasional bomb to take advantage of possible man coverage could yield benefits for Mark Sanchez, Patrick Turner, and Damian Williams -- and an opening for Joe McKnight to work for yards after the catch. Whether Steve Sarkisian will be creative enough to use those wrinkles in his last game as OC and QB coach is another question.
The thing is, the Trojans are going to need to establish that run first. It's to PSU's advantage to make USC lean on Stafon Johnson, C.J. Gable, and Joe McKnight. The benefit for the Lions is that the Trojans' offensive line is young -- and with that in mind, the offense has had moments alternating between utter domination and intense confusion on timing. Sanchez can throw on the run well, so the Penn State defense faces a similar challenge to USC's: disrupt his timing and have Bowman or someone else in the front seven catch up with him when he leaves the pocket.
Punching Each Other In The Mouth
Do not, I repeat, do not be surprised if this game ends in any of these scores: 17-10, 14-10, 13-7, etc., no matter how much crap you might hear about the talent gap. This reads like the best and most competitive of the BCS bowls on paper for a reason, and I expect a close, low-scoring game based on the defensive numbers alone.

Nice hit on ND last night bro. With you on both CMU & Iowa.

Merry Christmas RJ!...and GL the rest of the way!

:cheers:

RJ- a little concerned that even w/ all these suspensions, the line hasnt moved an inch?

i like cal in this game anyway, and lean with you, just trying to get something to put me over the top. marve being out certainly helps.

miami has such a young and inexperienced team and looks like they might be in over their heads in this one... plus tedford is 4-1 in bowls and this is shannon's first bowl appearance as a HC

any other reasons to play the bears? thanks. and merry xmas:cheers:

I can't wait to check this thread tomorrow to see who the next hurricane to miss the bowl game is ...........

this is why i say it is always tough to bet florida st and miami florida early after bowl lines are released ... they always seem to lose players before gameday.

cap two, you make a good point regarding the line not moving a whole lot on all of this news...from what I've read so far and talked to some reliable sources close to the Miami program Shannon is trying to weed out the weak of heart heading into this game and trying to unite those committed to his plan and try to head strong into next year...will he succeed with this agenda?...that remains to be seen (and trust me I don't think he's the smartest coach out there, but he is one helluva a recruiter which can make up for a lot sometimes)...

Well, the system keeps rolling pretty shitty going 3-5 so far this year with 26 more bowl games to go. At this rate, it would finish 12-20, -9.6 units. Not good at all.

WVU player: Mountaineer fans suck

from Fanblogs.com by Kevin Donahue
I don't think this is going to win him many fans in West Virginia.
"I think West Virginia fans are so fair-weather every once in a while it's ridiculous. I know that from personal experience," McAfee said. "We have some great fans. I just wish all of them were like that. "I guess every city has that, but it's pretty sad because we've got a good thing going here and I think in the future it's going to be a really good thing. I wish they'd stick by our side instead of falling off and coming back on. I think this year showed ... I mean, we couldn't even sell out this place on senior night. And fans leaving at halftime? I really wish they were more dedicated."
Hey... he said it, not me.

Breakdown: NY Times article full of bull

from Texas Longhorns Football: Orangebloods.com - Texas Football Headlines by Geoff Ketchum
Where does one even start? Since the Longhorn football program was rocked on Christmas Day by the report from a New York Times article about the recruitment of Lufkin defensive tackle Jamarkus McFarland, the impact has left shockwaves that has reached every level of the Longhorn Nation. In this 10-part breakdown, I'll go through each article in the passage that warrants close inspection, while offering my own insight into what actually occurred and asking some much-needed questions that apparently slipped past the author during the writing and editing process.

SF Chronicle: Tedford Picks Longshore to Start

from California Golden Bear Football News by Dave
Senior Nate Longshore was named Cal's starting quarterback for Saturday's Emerald Bowl against Miami, coach Jeff Tedford said Thursday, ending a run of three starts for sophomore Kevin Riley. "Nate has had a couple of really good weeks of practice, looking sharp throwing the ball and having great command of what we're doing," Tedford said. "He's had a lot of zip on the ball and has been really accurate. These are two of the better weeks I've seen Nate have here." Longshore, the second-winningest quarterback in school history, lost the job in training camp, but has been relatively efficient with his opportunities to ride the Cal quarterback merry-go-round. He has completed 55.8 percent of his passes and thrown two touchdowns with no interceptions in his last three games.
In the same time span, Riley has connected on 43.1 percent of his passes, with four touchdowns and three interceptions. Tedford says Riley, who is 6-3 as the starter, has continued to make the right reads but has missed too many throws. Tedford said Riley will be competing with redshirt freshman Brock Mansion to regain the starting gig next year. "I think coach wants one of us to establish himself as the man, and it hasn't happened," Riley said.
Heisman hopeful: The 2009 Heisman race unofficially starts with this bowl season, and tailback Jahvid Best will have one of the best showcases with a prime-time Saturday game on ESPN. "As far as I'm concerned, this is just two teams going out there and playing football," Best said. "All of the history behind you, all of the things you've done before, that doesn't matter anymore. "It's about how you prepare for this game and how you're going to win." Best has run for 512 yards in the last two games to bring his season total to 1,394 rushing yards and 13 touchdowns on the ground.
People are taking note. College Football News ranks Best as next year's No. 4 Heisman contender, behind quarterbacks Tim Tebow of Florida, Colt McCoy of Texas and Terrelle Pryor of Ohio State. "Uhhhhh, who? Non-USC Pac-10 players are normally ignored ... and no one outside of the Left Coast has any clue who Best is," CFN's Pete Fiutak wrote. "That's going to change in a big hurry as he'll be the hot under-the-radar-guy-who-suddenly-becomes-hip candidate."
Tepper update: Offensive tackle Mike Tepper said he has petitioned the NCAA for a sixth season of eligibility and thinks there's about a "50-50" chance he'll be granted his wish. Tepper, a 6-foot-7, 321-pounder, missed the entire season after offseason surgery on his pectoral muscle and a severely strained groin. He also missed the 2006 season after having his right fibula broken when he was hit by car while trying to protect a friend from harassment. The lone hiccup in his attempt to get an extra season is that he redshirted because of performance - not an injury - as a freshman. He started all 13 games at right tackle last season and was a key part of an offensive line that allowed a conference-low 11 sacks (No. 3 in the nation) and paved the way for more than 2,000 rushing yards. Tepper said he hopes to receive the NCAA's decision by Jan. 16, the deadline to declare for the NFL draft.
Miami suspensions: The Hurricanes suspended punt snapper Chris Ivory for Saturday's game because he violated an unspecified team rule. He is the fifth Hurricane suspended for the final game of the season.
Jake Byrne, who handles snaps on field goals, will take over Ivory's punt-team duties. Byrne also will be the backup quarterback behind Jacory Harris, who will start after Robert Marve was suspended for missing classes. Linebacker Jordan Futch and tight ends Richard Gordon and Tervaris Johnson also were suspended last week because of team-rule violations.

on a night in which one of the hottest blondes I've ever had the pleasure of being with made my evening (combined with an FAU cover), it's alwasys good to know I can come home in the wee hours of the morning and get caught up in ol' r.j.'s thread...

Well, the system went 2-1 today and I went 1-2 because I deviated and supported Cal over a TD. What a fuckin' joke.

Added:

La Tech -1 (-110)
NC State +7 (-115)
NW +12' (-110)

All system plays and feel good about the two dogs and kinda good about La Tech. Hope these hit and we get it back on track.

Looks like the plays for Tuesday will all be favs, just haven't locked in Nevada, Rice, and Okie Lite yet.

Mercedes Corby In A Bikini For Ralph Australia (01/09)

Posted on December 26th, 2008 by Manny
<!-- sphereit start --> <center></center> Mercedes [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Corby[/COLOR][/COLOR] is the sister of Australian Schapelle Corby who is serving a 20 year sentence for selling pot in [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]Bali[/COLOR][/COLOR] back in 2005. Somehow this chick won a multi-million dollar defamation payout from Channel 7 for their coverage during her sister’s trial. She just posed for these pics and did a tell all about the whole mess for January ‘09 issue of Ralph.
Click read more for her bikini spread.

<center></center>

Havili Ineligible

from Conquest Chronicles by Paragon SC
Word came down yesterday that USC FB Stanley Haviliy is currently academically ineligible and he could miss the Rose Bowl.
From Wolf...
USC's fullback position was thrown into doubt Saturday. Stanley Havili, the Trojans regular starter, is currently academically ineligible and could miss the Rose Bowl.
"He won't know until Monday or Tuesday,"' USC coach Pete Carroll said. "He has to wait to see if his eligibility gets cleared. He's got a couple days."
The Trojans were already shorthanded because backup fullback Adam Goodman is not 100 percent after undergoing minor knee surgery. Freshman D.J. Shoemate, originally a wide receiver, became the starter during Saturday's practice.
Disappointing to say the least.
I can't believe that with all the resourses that the players have that this is an issue. With grades already being posted I have a hard time seeing how this could be resolved so I will plan on not seeing Havili in the game.
This hurts because we will need all hands on deck when going up against a very good PSU defense...a solid blocking back is an absolute must. Shoemate and Ellison as talebted as they are will not be suitable replacement.
This is not the type news I am pleased to write about...

Randy Shannon's Clock Management Skills Could Use a Little Improvement

Posted Dec 28th 2008 8:27AM by Ryan Ferguson (author feed)
Filed under: California, Miami, NCAA FB Coaching, Bowl Games
shannon.jpg
San Francisco's Emerald Bowl: not known for highlighting college football's best teams. But the bowl has been the lucky recipient of some formerly great ACC programs hitting the skids and adding some marquee value. Florida State won in 2006 against a terrible UCLA team. And in 2008, 7-5 Miami showed up to face a pretty marginal Cal squad led by Nate Longshore, a quarterback with "issues" to say the least.

But unlike FSU, Miami found a way to lose the game. They lost despite Longshore's utter ineffectiveness (10-21, 121 yards). They lost despite getting good play from freshman quarterback Jacory Harris -- the over-enthusiastic ESPN commentors were calling it his 'coming out party' which might warrant an excessive celebration penalty -- and good running from Graig Cooper, who averaged 5.3 YPC, but received only a mystifying 12 carries.

It came down to turnovers and terrible clock management. At the end of the first half, down 14-7, Miami was intercepted at their own 43-yard line; Cal promptly went four and out. Getting the ball back with 1:18 remaining and three timeouts, Shannon appeared to be running out the clock: fair enough, given that his freshman quarterback had just turned the ball over in Hurricane territory. But wait... no! After three passes resulted in a first down, Shannon called a timeout with :04 remaining. Hail Mary time, right? Nope: Harris completed a 3-yard pass to Graig Cooper. Miami walked off the field with two timeouts remaining with the ball on Cal's 49-yard line.

No harm, no foul. But the happened at the end of the second half was far more inexplicable. And inexcusable.

Tied late in the 4th with a chance to win the game, a Harris fumble was recovered by Cal's Cameron Jordan at Miami's 9-yard line. Two plays later, Cal was celebrating a 24-7 lead. Miami went back to work with 2:41 left on the clock and two timeouts.

Here's what Miami's final possession looked like:

-1 yard rush: Miami 31
6 yard pass: Miami 37
4 yard pass: Miami 41
3 yard pass: Miami 44
5 yard rush: Miami 49
Incomplete pass
Timeout Miami, 0:12 remaining.

Explain that one to us, Randy. We especially enjoyed the timeout called after an incomplete pass.

Miami took one final shot downfield, then ran Graig Cooper 14 yards downfield for the inevitable tackle, ensuring Cal's victory. Surely Miami's inability to effectively work the clock cost them any chance of coming back to tie or win this game.

What the stats don't show is Miami's inability to do the basic stuff: you know, quickly spike the ball or at least run up to the line of scrimmage and get the pass off. The ESPN commentators were absolutely dumbfounded as Miami took a good 35 seconds to set up after their 5-yard rush to get to their own 49-yard line. It was incomprehensible. Timeout should have been called immediately, or better yet, a spike.

Would Miami have scored? Probably not. But Randy Shannon's complete and total lack of clock management skills removed any chance of a successful final possession, and in fact ensured a Cal victory. Can the head coach for the losing team win a bowl MVP award?

Miami wraps up the season a disappointing 7-6, losing three straight to end the season... and Randy Shannon is officially on the hotseat. It seems unlikely he could survive another season like this one.

Boeckman, Pryor may play at same time

<!-- begin creation date --> Friday, December 26, 2008 3:02 AM
<!-- end creation date --> By Tim May

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
<!-- aligning image and caption--> <!-- displaying free form text in the same .ptr div --> More football

<!-- /freeform -->
<!-- /ptr --> No matter what, the Fiesta Bowl will be the Ohio State swan song for senior quarterback Todd Boeckman, and sources close to the program told The Dispatch that coach Jim Tressel might have a duet in mind for the former starter. They said don't be surprised to see Boeckman and freshman starter Terrelle Pryor on the field at the same time for some plays when the Buckeyes take on the Texas Longhorns.
Tressel, who like the rest of the Buckeyes is on a short Christmas break, would not comment on the report. The team, which ended its Columbus preparations on Tuesday, will convene in Scottsdale, Ariz., late Sunday afternoon to begin final preparations for the Jan. 5 bowl.
Just what Tressel has in mind for Boeckman and Pryor in the bowl game or whether he just wants to give Texas something to think about isn't clear. But with the team playing without injured No. 1 tailback Chris "Beanie" Wells in the Sept. 13 game at USC, Tressel tried to cross up the Trojans by alternating Boeckman and Pryor play to play on several possessions. The first time it yielded a drive to OSU's only score, a field goal for a 3-0 lead.
Tressel might be borrowing something from Pryor's former high school coach Ray Reitz of Jeannette, Pa. In the Pennsylvania state championship game last year, on the first play the speedy Pryor lined up at wide receiver and running back Jordan Hall lined up at quarterback. Hall then sprinted 58 yards off tackle for the touchdown that started Jeannette's 49-21 win over Dunmore.

glad to see you on LTech and cash as well....

just to let you know you counted WVU as a loss instead of a push.dont sell yourself short sir....:cheers:

hope a couple of these finally go our way instead of all these losses by 1 point/the hook. its about time.

nice job on La. Tech r.j...thanks for the info. on Havili, he's an emotional leader for that team and does a great job catching the ball out of the backfield for USC...would be a huge loss for them...

Thanks, Cap Two, VK, and Pags.

VK--Leaving tomorrow but I'll be out again soon, hopefully with Yanks this time.

Rosetta: Lee’s future at LSU may be up for debate

• By RANDY ROSETTA
  • Advocate sportswriter
  • Published: Dec 28, 2008 - UPDATED: 12:05 a.m.
Comments (0)

Should he stay or should he go?
LSU quarterback Jarrett Lee says the thought of whether to transfer hasn’t been on his mind.
Tigers offensive coordinator Gary Crowton seemed almost offended at the idea.
LSU coach Les Miles gave one of his patented steely stares and shot the notion down that Lee doesn’t have a place with the Tigers.
I don’t doubt Lee is welcome to stay, because if you value intangibles like character and the willingness to accept responsibility, well, you can’t have enough guys like Jarrett Lee. But should Lee stay under the current makeup of the LSU offense and what appears imminent.
Jordan Jefferson is the present flavor of the month and could possibly solidify his spot as the starter with a strong performance against Georgia Tech on Wednesday in the Chick-fil-A Bowl.
Russell Shepard, one of the nation’s top recruits, is on the way and it’s hard to fathom him not getting on the field as quickly as possible, either as the starter or in a role where he and Jefferson share the job — perhaps on the field at the same time.
That could leave Lee and Andrew Hatch as the odd men out in the foreseeable future. And if the LSU offense continues down the path its headed, with a quarterback who has to be a dual threat with his feet when a play breaks down, that doesn’t fit Lee’s talents at all.
Lee needs to have the controls of an offense where he can line up in the shotgun, get rid of the ball quickly and not be forced into running situations. That somewhat fits what Crowton and Miles seem to want to do, but the offense will continue to evolve and it’s hard to picture Lee adapting to be the same kind of quarterbacks Jefferson and Shepard are.
Of course, Lee is also quite capable of handing the ball off to Charles Scott, Keiland Williams, Richard Murphy and Stevan Ridley, who will remain a staple of the Tigers’ scheme as long as Miles runs the show.
Lee’s decision-making has to improve for him to be effective in whatever offense he guides, and that’s another part of the equation that has to be considered.
Can Lee take the kind of quantum leap between this week and spring practice and next August to think he will be that much better?
Crowton said the offseason will make that possible as long as Lee has the right mindset. “His future is bright because he’ll be one more step closer to being where we want him to be,” Crowton said.
“We can evaluate what happened this season and identify the things he needs to work on. He can focus on understanding the different defenses he’s seen and interpret things without also having to get ready for a game. The direction you can point guys in is more defined in the offseason, and by the time spring gets here, they’re naturally better because they have video of themselves to look at and learn from. The only thing that keeps you from getting better is attitude.”
With Lee, that doesn’t seem to be an issue. And whether he stays or goes, that’s not likely to change.

Auburn climbs back on the 'innovative spread' horse with the Gus Malzahn Experience

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-378653702-1230529602.jpg
Besides confusion, Auburn fans' first reaction to Gene Chizik's ascension to head coach earlier this month was, "We better make a huge splash with our offensive coordinator hire." And so the Tigers have: Spread guru Gus Malzahn is returning to the SEC West from Tulsa, where his system has torn Conference USA defenses to ribbons en route to finishing first nationally in total offense in 2007 and second this year. Again: At Tulsa.
As I suggested last week when the Hurricane landed an improbable commitment from hot shot quarterback prospect Shavodrick Beaver, I think Malzahn's philosophy and career path are among the most fascinating in the country. And they beg the question: Will Auburn actually allow itself to be Malzahnified? The up-tempo spread Malzahn brought from his wildly successful stint in the Arkansas high school ranks is from the same family tree as "The Tony Franklin System" that submarined the Tigers' entire season, even after its namesake was booted halfway through. It's even commodified in roughly the same way, via Malzahn's book, The Hurry-Up, No Huddle: An Offensive Philosophy, in which Malzahn compares his system to a perpetual fast break and writes, "This is who I am as a coach."
He was not allowed to be himself, then, at Arkansas, which restrained and then benched Malzahn's golden boy protegé, Mitch Mustain, despite an 8-0 record as a starting quarterback, instead (understandably) riding Darren McFadden and Felix Jones to the SEC West title in 2006. Then-innovative "Wildcat" notwithstanding, the Razorbacks' run-heavy, between-the-tackles philosophy was so far from what Malzahn and Mustain did at Springdale High and what they apparently expected to be doing at Arkansas that the parents of four Springdale freshmen went out of their way to complain about the emphasis on the run, and three of those players -- including, most notably, Mustain and current Southern Cal teammate Damien Williams -- transferred when Malzahn left for old friend Todd Graham's new staff at Tulsa. With total control over the offensive schemes there, his system's been consistent, flexible, prolific and everything it's cracked up to be the vast majority of the time.
The striking similarities between Malzahn and Franklin certainly make this a bold hire; "making a splash" might be something of an understatement if Auburn is serious about taking the reigns off this time. A staff and players reared on more "conventional," power-running/play-action offenses apparently rejected the spread transplant under Franklin, and the result was a bunch of middling junk that alienated everyone. A less dramatic overhaul at Tennessee had a similarly disastrous trajectory, complete with the axe falling on an accomplished, seemingly untouchable head coach at year's end. Gene Chizik has more time than that, but after his chilly reception, not enough to waste a crucial rebuilding season on a failed experiment. If Chizik believes Malzahn's is the mind to revive the Tiger offense, it stands to reason he'll learn from his predecessor and stay out of the way.

I'll be out again soon, hopefully with Yanks this time.

Wherever you go is going to run out of beer... Would like to see who outdrinks who here.

Hope you enjoyed your last night there and that also that you didnt have to watch the latech game. What a barnburner two dead arm unexperienced QB's battling it out.
Kickoff return got us back in the game and was a great motivation swing, glad we all cashed. :shake:

Wherever you go is going to run out of beer... Would like to see who outdrinks who here.

Hope you enjoyed your last night there and that also that you didnt have to watch the latech game. What a barnburner two dead arm unexperienced QB's battling it out.
Kickoff return got us back in the game and was a great motivation swing, glad we all cashed. :shake:

I gotta post the picture of the beer tower that VK and I shared while watching FSU-Wisky before we got kicked out before the UFC fight.

Just got home and the house is freezing (62 degrees) after having the heater off all week. Back to work tomorrow for my last day of 2008 and then onto 2009.

Typical NY Times journalism. Reminds me of the unchecked plagiarist journalist they fired a few years ago. No checking by editors as to facts or sources:

A Final Word On Thayer Evans

from Burnt Orange Nation by PB @ BON
Big Roy's excellent and thorough write up on the McFarland saga pretty well covers all my thoughts on this, but I do have two follow-up thoughts I want to add before moving on. Neither has anything to do with bitterness towards McFarland himself or losing him to Oklahoma. Rather, I'm exceptionally peeved that Mack Brown and Texas' names were unnecessarily sullied because the New York Times allowed unchecked Thayer Evans to write what he did.
McFarland's comments yesterday at the Army AA Bowl put a dagger in the heart of any argument that Thayer Evans' article passes the journalistic integrity test. Not only do all of Big Roy's original points still stand, but with the comments yesterday from McFarland came some focus about how this whole article came together. It's clear as day Evans has opportunistically carved a little niche for himself freelancing Oklahoma stories for the New York Times, and that he sensed a woman scorned in Ms. Adams, greedily stroking her wounded ego to get what he needed for the Hit Job.
WHEN I SAY I WAS THERE FOR CHRISTMAS DINNER, I MEANT HIS MOTHER WAS FEEDING ME HATE OVER THE PHONE
Evans article as written makes it sound as though he's been intimately involved with this family -- this story -- and was invited to the family home on Christmas morning for the joyous crimson and cream post-announcement celebration. As written, you can almost picture Evans there on the couch next to the Christmas tree, scribbling notes on the couch while Jamarkus and his mother spoke warmly about their decision. The moment would have made for a hell of a segment on 60 Minutes, except, of course, that any camera crew on hand would have discovered that... Mr. Evans wasn't. even. there.
That alone isn't a problem, but what's becoming increasingly clear is that Evans barely talked to Jamarkus McFarland at all. Not only did he not talk to him on Christmas -- he hardly spoke with him throughout this recruitment. And yet Evans wrote, "Since July, he and his family have provided a reporter for The New York Times with exclusive access to his recruitment, a journey that often divided McFarland and his mother."
O RLY? Pressed on the issue yesterday in San Antonio, McFarland confessed he wasn't even sure how theTimes freelancer got the English paper on which he'd based part of his smear campaign. "[Evans] came to my house one time when I dropped LSU (from consideration) just to observe. I think he got it then."
Inescapable conclusion? This is worse than a two-source/one-sided article... it's a one-source/one-sided article. Had Evans spoken with McFarland after the commitment, he'd have been obligated to ask about this English essay with which he planned to run as part of his story. McFarland's Sunday backtracking proves Evans didn't speak to McFarland and didn't try to confirm the veracity of any of the grenades he was about to launch in his article. Frankly, it seems clear to me Evans didn't want to talk to McFarland, who likely would have spoiled the article's bite with all sorts of clarifications, retractions, and caveats. You can almost hear Evans thinking to himself: Why spoil the juice the mother's feeding me? This is a B- story without the grenades.
TELL ME WHERE THE BAD MAN TOUCHED YOU...

Among all the malodorous garbage, the smelliest might be the timing of all this. In case you need a refresher:

1. The week before Christmas: Rumors begin exploding about McFarland's mother getting greedy with the cookie jar.
  2. McFarland commits to Oklahoma on Christmas and Thayer Freaking Evans is the one to "break the story."
You don't need to be Inspector Morse to ask the right questions here: Given that -- prior to the rumor explosion -- there was little indication from the hyper-obsessors at Rivals/Scout that McFarland was at (or even nearing) a decision point, why the sudden commitment to Oklahoma on Christmas? Though there could be a dozen uncontroversial answers to that question, how is it that Thayer Evans -- of all people -- was the one to find out about it first?
Recruits can't so much as watch SportsCenter without someone, somewhere in the recruiting underworld knowing about it and spreading the "news" for consumption. Don't kid yourself: $100 a year subscription sites would be out of business if they (either moderators or users in the know) weren't providing to the most obsessive of fans these kinds of details -- these days a fan can get everything else for free.
And yet... somehow... it's Thayer Evans who winds up with this scoop. Let me say that again: Thayer Evans. Was the one. Who was the first to know about this story.
So let me ask again: Why?
Inescapable conclusion? Given everything that we know, including what we know about Evans not being in communication with McFarland, the most reasonable explanation for this is hard to dismiss: Namely, after the 'Adams as Greedy Mother' stories started surfacing, Evans could see where this was headed and further inserted himself into the story. How deeply he thrust himself into the mix we'll probably never know, but I'd bet the farm that in the immediate aftermath either he called her or she called him and the article was all but co-authored by the two. Maybe he showed her his Sam Bradford underoos or maybe she just browsed his archives at the Times, but either way Jamarkus McFarland's mother had found in Thayer Evans a sympathetic voice with whom she could enact her revenge.

She was mad, he was willing. And the end result was a single-sourced piece in which she could take her shots at her detractors and he got his exclusive. They don't call 'em Sooners for nothing.

Sexy Saturday: Spokesmodel and Hometown Hottie April Rose

Published by Natty at 11:00 am under Sexy Saturday

April Rose used to be the face of Chicago Loop Radio, AKA the “Loop Rock Girl.” Amongst her other achievements include recently winning Maxim’s hometown hottie contest. So she’s got that going for her…which is nice.
And here’s something I didn’t know. April is the spokesperson for ABC’s weekly “Chicago Huddle.” Isn’t that amazing? OK, I have nothing left here. What I can see is that April has that next door look.
How dirty she can get remains a mystery to me. As of now though, I kind of want to propose to her.

Missouri v. Northwestern: Expectations Gone Awry

from Big Red Network
Valero Alamo Bowl, Missouri @ Northwestern, San Antonio Alamodome, Dec. 29, 8 p.m. Eastern, ESPN
2008 was supposed to be Missouri's year. Fans, players, coaches all thought that the Tigers were going to be in the hunt for a National Championship very late into the game. Their hopes for a title game shot were pretty much dashed after their second loss in as many weeks to Texas. Northwestern was pretty much the exact opposite. They were not expected to make any kind of impact, but being ranked in the top 25 and in a bowl game was beyond their hopes at the beginning of the season.
Looking at the numbers, it's not hard to see why Missouri is so highly thought of. Chase Daniel is one of the top 5 quarterbacks in the country while Chase Coffman and Jeremy Maclin are two of the top targets. Missouri's passing attack has yielded 340 yards/game this year, good enough for 4th in the country. It's the major component of their 43 points/game average. Their efficiency with the football is striking. They are 5th in the NCAA in 3rd downs at 54%. The Tigers are also rarely penalized, with only 52 this whole year. The only dark spot on offense is the 15 interceptions – one of the key components in their losses.
On the defensive side of the ball, it's like looking at a different team. Their rush defense isn't bad, holding teams to 128 yards/game, but they allow 285 through the air – one of the worst in the NCAA. The total defense amounts to number 99 in the NCAA. This has been the Achilles heel for the Tigers this year. If they had just one more impact player on this side of the ball, we'd be talking about a difference tier of bowl games for MU.
Northwestern is an interesting story. When you look at the numbers, you ask how they are ranked. They don't have any major impact players that crack the top 25 in their respective statistical category. Their total offense is a mediocre 357 yards/game and their passing efficiency is one of the worst in the country. The Wildcats are averaging 24 points/game. They have a pretty bad turnover margin with 22 gained and 27 lost.
The story is on defense for Northwestern. They are only allowing 19 points/game and held opponents to only 11 passing touchdowns this year. Their defense is holding teams to 33% on third downs. The pressure is there, too, with 82 tackles for loss and 33 sacks this season.
Despite all of that, this is a game that Missouri should be able to pull away with. I don't think Northwestern has faced such an efficient offense all year. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they couldn't really hang with the Tigers in the second half of the game. The Wildcats will likely be downed 41-27.

Bowlin': Remember the Alamo Bowl storylines, before the pizza gets here

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Holly Anderson
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-618090846-1230575987.jpg
As the season wraps and 2008 draws to a close, a feisty bunch of purple brainiacs seek a 10-win season against a proud but disappointed offense making its last hurrah in a building consecrated in the name of the site of a one-sided, 172-year-old massacre. Take this unique moment to reflect, and remember when ...
Mizzou, dey wuz contenduz. National title hopes, and a preseason No. 6 ranking, dashed to bits by a pair of two-game slides: First to Oklahoma State and Texas in October, then Kansas and Oklahoma to close out the season, with the Lonhorns and Sooners, especially, leaving Missouri's poll chances and Chase Daniel's reputation scarred for life with a pair of quick knockouts. Like Bradno's Terry Malloy, the Tigers were left smacking of promise unfulfilled.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-954577622-1230576038.jpg
Northwestern, another Big Ten profiterole. A suddenly competent Wildcat defense was able to hold off all comers outside of Ohio State and Michigan State, one of the major perks of facing a schedule that conveniently excluded Penn State and Wisconsin. A garbage touchdown at the end of a 48-26 shootout with Purdue marked the only time any opponent managed more than 21 points on the Wildcats, who had allowed 31, 30 and 38 points on average to Big Ten opponents the previous three years.
What if a Nerd School went 9-3 and nobody noticed? We were treated to all manner of "Hooray for the Smart Kids" featurettes early in the season, when Northwestern held its own outside of the conference, Vanderbilt held the early lead in the SEC East and Duke actually held a winning record into November. Of the three, the Commodores and Blue Devils went 2-13 in the final two months of the year (with one of those wins coming in Duke's upset against Vandy) and only the Wildcats came away above .500 in the end. Though Northwestern's success also produced this, so it's kind of a wash.
Chase Daniel's on-field prowess made jokes at the expense of his emerging potbelly difficult to execute. Come on home to Texas, Chase, and try to forget all those pizza delivery guy cracks. Including the one at the top of this post.
Seriously, we're going to miss your deadly accuracy, big guy. Signed, everyone not affiliated with a Big 12 secondary.

Back