• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

bull & hoopstar - Thoughts on Richmond/Montana?

bull

Coattailing Cheerleader
the FCS championship

I'll get this thing started with the write-up from the staff writer of Sports Network. He likes Montana. I lean toward Richmond, but have another 48 hours to decide. The rest of this post is not my own verbiage.

By David Coulson, FCS Executive Director

Chattanooga, TN (Sports Network) - Not many people would have picked a Montana-Richmond final for the NCAA Division I Football Championship, either before the season, or even three weeks ago when the playoff field was announced.

But these two hard-nosed, workmanlike teams have survived the 16-team field and won difficult games on the road to set up an unexpected, yet compelling title game.

"I am not sure what to expect from this team," Montana coach Bobby Hauck said in July at the Big Sky Conference media event in Park City, UT. "But that is what makes this season exciting."

Like a child anticipating Christmas morning, Hauck has a bigger package than expected under his championship tree, as the Grizzlies play for their third national crown and the sixth-year coach looks for his first title as the head man.

Richmond's first-year coach Mike London, a standout defensive back with the Spiders from 1979-82, knew he was inheriting a strong program, with plenty of talent back from last year's national semifinal squad, but he has managed to push his team even farther than predecessor Dave Clawson.

"A lot of people said, 'You guys don't belong here,'" London explained. "I think we belong. In the first three rounds we played conference champions. This is a significant accomplishment for these players."

Richmond (12-3) actually was ranked No. 1 in the Sports Network FCS top-25 poll for one week this season, but the Spiders lost 26-20 to Villanova the next Saturday (Sept. 27) and then dropped a 38-31 decision to James Madison two weeks later, blowing a 31-23 lead in the final minute.

But since that time, the No. 7-ranked Spiders have won eight consecutive games, including wins over second-seeded Appalachian State - the three-time FCS champion - and No. 3 Northern Iowa, at two of the toughest road venues in the subdivision.

Montana (14-1) also survived some out-of-kilter performances early in the season, including a 45-28 loss at Weber State on Oct. 4. Following that loss, however, the Grizzlies have won 10 consecutive games.

Defense has been the key to the improved performances of both teams.

Richmond has allowed just 13.3 points per game since the loss to JMU, and ranks sixth overall in scoring defense (16.2). The Spiders are third in turnover margin (plus-22 on the season), 14th in rushing defense (98 yards), 22nd in passing defense (169 yards) and 10th in total defense (266 yards).

Richmond's defensive success starts with its bookends at defensive end, Sherman Logan and Lawrence Sidbury, Jr.

Logan is a rare sixth-year senior, who missed all but four games last year with a broken foot. Returning to All-American form this season, Logan has piled up 12.5 tackles for loss, six sacks and 49 tackles.

Sidbury has blossomed in his senior season, with 16 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks and 51 tackles.

With those two garnering plenty of attention from offenses, linebackers Eric McBride (team-high 103 tackles) and Patrick Weldon (89 tackles, 13 tackles for loss) have been able to make plays.

The Spider secondary has been largely responsible for the team's ability to force turnovers. Richmond has 28 interceptions, one behind Grambling for the most in FCS.

Cornerback Justin Rogers has seven of those picks and is one off the team record held by Jeff Nixon (1976). Michael Ireland, Derek Hatcher and Seth Williams have four each.

Montana doesn't have as quality overall defensive numbers as Richmond (45th in total defense, allowing 331 yards per game), but the Grizzlies have been nearly as tough to score on (eighth in FCS at 17.3 points per game) and have also excelled in forcing turnovers (eighth nationally, plus-18).

The Grizzlies, with their bend-but-don't-break philosophy, are giving up 131 yards rushing on average (39th), but have shown more vulnerability in shutting down passing attacks (61st at 200 yards per game). But Montana is 19th in passing efficiency defense.

Montana had allowed just 91 points in its previous nine wins, but was stung for 27 points and 419 yards by James Madison, the third-highest total offense figure the Grizzlies had given up all year. But Montana made up for it by forcing four turnovers.

Senior strong safety and Buchanan Award candidate Colt Anderson is the heart and soul of the Montana defense. He had 18 tackles in the win over JMU, and 121 tackles for the season.

Defensive end Mike Stadnyk, who has already been drafted in the second round by the Saskatchewan Rough Riders of the Canadian Football League, is the lone Montana player remaining that played in the 2004 national championship loss to JMU. He has 59 tackles, 7.5 sacks and 10.5 tackles for loss.

Jace Palmer (44 tackles, 8.5 sacks, 14 tackles for loss) anchors the other side of the Grizzly defensive line, while defensive tackle Craig Mettler is a force on the inside (48 tackles, five tackles for loss).

Brandon Fisher (102 tackles), Tyler Corwin (91 tackles) and Shawn Lebsock (89 tackles) give the Grizzlies a solid linebacking corps.

The similarities for the two teams on offense start with the offensive lines. Both squads are big and solid up front, and that works well for teams that want to establish the running game.

Three of Montana's offensive linemen - guard Colin Dow, tackle Brent Russum and center J.D. Quinn - are pro prospects. Richmond lost one All-American tackle in Tim Silver to injury, but has another in Matthew McCracken, while Michael Silva has stepped into the gap forced by physical ailments.

It took a while for Montana to offset the loss of running back Lex Hilliard to the NFL, but the offense awoke around the gritty rushing of sophomore Chase Reynolds, who played eight-man football in high school. Reynolds has eight straight 100-yard rushing efforts on the way to 1,536 yards (5.7 average per carry) and a school-record 21 TDs on the ground.

Reynolds' work has made it easier for quarterback Cole Bergquist to thrive as a play-action passer. The efficient Bergquist has thrown for 2,889 yards and 28 touchdowns, while being intercepted just seven times.

Bergquist has a pair of first-class receivers to depend on, with Marc Mariani (62 catches, 18.3 average, 15 TDs) and Mike Ferriter (49 catches, 16.7, 10 TDs). Mariani is also a threat as a returnman.

The focal point of the Richmond attack is running back Josh Vaughan (1,722 yards, 5.2 average, 19 touchdowns). His success takes the pressure off quarterback Eric Ward, who is often more dependable as a runner (394 yards, eight TDs) than as a passer.

Ward has thrown for 2,712 yards and 16 TDs, including a game-winning pass with 15 seconds left against Northern Iowa. But he is often inaccurate when he is forced from the pocket.

Another problem for the Spiders has been the health of top receiver Kevin Grayson (59 catches, 14.0 average, three TDs), who suffered a leg injury against UNI that could limit his ability to stretch the defense. If Grayson is unable to be effective, freshman Tre Gray (53 catches, 12.8 average, four TDs) will have to step up.

Tight end Joe Stewart has become a more important target of late for Ward. Stewart had a career-high five catches for 71 yards last week, including the game-winning 13-yard touchdown reception in the 21-20 win over Northern Iowa.

Montana and Richmond are two of the few teams left in FCS that still put an emphasis on using fullbacks in the power rushing game. The Grizzlies' Kevin Klaboe and Spiders' John Crone are two of the best blocking backs in the country.

If the game comes down to the kicking game, Andrew Howard of Richmond has the reputation as one of the top clutch kickers in the country. He holds the NCAA record for career extra-point percentage (148-of-150, 98.6%), but he has struggled of late, missing one PAT and five field goals in four games.

Montana freshman Brody McKnight replaced the all-time leading kick scorer in FCS, Dan Carpenter, now of the Miami Dolphins. McKnight has been up and down, but did have a game-winning field goal against Central Washington.

This game may come down to how well the two offenses control the ball on the ground, and if either of them can strike for big plays in the passing game. Both teams have also shown the ability to force turnovers, so ball security will be even more important.

In a contest where points are likely to come at a premium, Montana probably has a few more playmakers than Richmond, and expect the Grizzlies to come away with one or two more plays to win their fourth national championship.

Montana 21, Richmond 17.

Richmond (12-3) travels to Montana (14-1) to duke it out for the FCS Championship.

I lean Montana, as the spread is currently sitting at 1 point. This will be the Spiders 3rd straight road game, and they just barely squeeked by Northern Iowa last week.

Offenses are both solid, though I give a passing edge to Montana. Spiders defense is definitely the superior unit, and quite possibly the best in the FCS.

Would love to get your thoughts on this game, fellas!

:cheers:

I only have bet a 6.5 point teaser of Montana +7.5 and Mount Union +3.

I had the line at PK for the FCS Championship game, and sure enough that is what it came out at....

I did several write ups earlier in the week with thoughts on both games...

I will look for them and paste them.

I like Montana and Mount Union.

Very close matchup in both games. I had the Montana/Richmond game a pk, and 1 isn't very far off. And I have the Mount Union/UW-W game at about 10, so there is certainly value in the latter.

Remember, last year's line was Mount Union -35, and there certainly hasn't been that much difference between then. So betting them just on those grounds would be a good idea.

UW-W plays in a conference comprised of ONLY Wisconsin branches... I mean what the fuck is that?

The key stat is the fact that Whitewater is a power running team only. Nothing fancy about what they do. Just line up, and pound it up the middle. No option, or anything of that nature... And with a #110 ranked Passing attack, the potential for big plays will not be there at all.

Any other questions, just ask....

But it is a short week for Richmond, as they were in Iowa Saturday for that game... Then have to go back to Chattanooga for this game.

Also, there will be a MUCH larger crowd in support of Montana. Richmond can barely get 6k people to come out for home games, less alone getting those people to travel to Tennessee.

Montana packs 25k into every home game in Missoula, and travels very, very well for a FCS school.

Also, Montana demolished JMU, where as Richmond needed about 10 horseshoes to pull out that win against UNI. Much, much more of a letdown factor here for Richmond, coming off 2 wins like that. Not sure Montana will face that, even though they beat #1 JMU.

But that's all I've got.

I may throw some more on Montana before the day's over, but I will keep an eye on the line.

GL guys.

Aztec- I posted a thread on this game a few days back but it has gotten few reads and no response. You may wish to take a look. In it I have posted a long write-up by the Staff writer for Sports Network.
I have a different take on this game from Hoops.
I like Richmond. Much stronger conference. Strong on both OL and DL where I think many if not most games are won. I think Richmond run offense will control the game.
This game is not AT MONTANA, BTW. As Hoops points out, it is in Chattanooga.
Each team has excellent chance to win this game so I would not bet the house on it.
I thought both teams were impressive a week ago in big road wins. I liked the way Richmond dominated 4th quarter to come from behind. Montana benefitted greatly from JMU mistakes which gave them a lot of short fields. More important, JMU's star QB went out with injury late second Q . From what I saw this year the JMU QB ( Landers) was right there with Edwards of Appy, who was selected FCS POY.
GL whatever you decide

I agree with Hoops on Mt Union - real powerhouse. Doubt if I'll play that game, however.

Nice,

Seeing Montana +3 and +135 at Bookmaker....I'm sure a 50 dollar bet will move that to Montana -3/-155 ...so I better go bet now lol

Hoops--Short week for Richmond, true. But look at the travel schedule for Montana the past week (Montana flying east to JMU; flying back to Montana; then flying back east to Chatanooga). If Montana were an NFL team we would be fading their asses big-time with that 7 day travel schedule.

I haven't played this game yet, so I am not against you on Montana, at least for now. I respect your opinion on this game--Montana's travel is just a factor that I haven't seen mentioned by anyone that I thought I would note.

Is travel even a factor in a Natty Title game?

I mean...we don't travel by horseback anymore in 2008. We have planes, it took me 5 hours to fly from Arizona to Rhode Island...and I got off the plane and went and partied with no side/ill-effects

Great info here fellas. Thanks for the feedback, and bringing to my attention that the game is in Chattanooga.

Now I'm more torn than I was before. LOL

Having said that, I still believe Richmond's defense is the best of the four units on the field.

Thanks again bull & hoop!

:cheers:

Montana got plenty of horseshoes in that win, hoop. 5 awful TOs and that quivering vagina Landers giving up and sitting out the 2H with a mildly sprained ankle. Montana should have blown them out but that game was up for grabs even in the 4Q.

Richie needed breaks in that game, sure, but look at the environment in which they were playing. A basketball-gym-like stadium filled with a bunch of rabid Iowans drooling for blood. I think it was a hell of a statement that they went in and pulled that game out. So, instead of focusing on the negatives, I"m gonig to say that the Spiders are battle tested and going to be ready for what gets thrown at them tonight.

I'm playing London and that defense for a unit. I won't be surprised if Montana pulls it out, but looking back at the season that was, Richie might very well be the most talented team in FCS outside of JMU. I think London has them ready as his career continues to grow better and this win might be the catapult to send him back to FBS with a HC job at a mid-major.

Last edited:
Hoops--Short week for Richmond, true. But look at the travel schedule for Montana the past week (Montana flying east to JMU; flying back to Montana; then flying back east to Chatanooga). If Montana were an NFL team we would be fading their asses big-time with that 7 day travel schedule.

I haven't played this game yet, so I am not against you on Montana, at least for now. I respect your opinion on this game--Montana's travel is just a factor that I haven't seen mentioned by anyone that I thought I would note.

What about Richmond traveling to Boone, and blowing out App on a Saturday, then returning to Richmond?

Then traveling to UNI on Friday, to play Saturday, then returning to Richmond....

Then Traveling to Chattanooga, to play on Friday?

So what, they've had 3 days to prepare?

At least Montana was sitting at home all day saturday, in Missoula, while Richmond was playing their Semi Finals game.....

Montana got plenty of horseshoes in that win, hoop. 5 awful TOs and that quivering vagina Landers giving up and sitting out the 2H with a mildly sprained ankle. Montana should have blown them out but that game was up for grabs even in the 4Q.

Richie needed breaks in that game, sure, but look at the environment in which they were playing. A basketball-gym-like stadium filled with a bunch of rabid Iowans drooling for blood. I think it was a hell of a statement that they went in and pulled that game out. So, instead of focusing on the negatives, I"m gonig to say that the Spiders are battle tested and going to be ready for what gets thrown at them tonight.

I'm playing London and that defense for a unit. I won't be surprised if Montana pulls it out, but looking back at the season that was, Richie might very well be the most talented team in FCS outside of JMU. I think London has them ready as his career continues to grow better and this win might be the catapult to send him back to FBS with a HC job at a mid-major.

I suppose Richmond being +7 in turnovers against Appalachian State had nothing to do with them winning that game?

GL

I suppose Richmond being +7 in turnovers against Appalachian State had nothing to do with them winning that game?

GL

Now we're talking about the Appy St. game. Look, you can hate all you want, but I was trying to make the point that shit happens in games and you can almost always make the assertion that a winning team gets "lucky". JMU got "lucky" all year according to most people, but if you watched some of those games you saw the talent show through when they asserted themselves and I watched them totally outplay Appy St and Villanova in the 2hs of those games. They were down big, but I left thinking that they were the better team after those games. I'm not saying that that is necessarily the case with Richie, but I've watched them play and think it is unfair to say that they a) do not deserve to be in this game or b) they will not win because they got the breaks in the playoffs because of other teams making mistakes.

Good health to you guys on Montana tonight, should be a good game. :shake:

I always point out when I'm right.... So I'll be first to point out I was wrong on this one...

Richmond looked as if they've had 15 weeks to prepare just for this one game. They look excellent.

The trick play for a TD set the tone, and they have just trucked Montana.

Sorry to those I led array, and congrats to Richmond backers.

I can't win 'em all, and certainly wasn't close on this one.

:shake:

I always point out when I'm right.... So I'll be first to point out I was wrong on this one...

Richmond looked as if they've had 15 weeks to prepare just for this one game. They look excellent.

The trick play for a TD set the tone, and they have just trucked Montana.

Sorry to those I led array, and congrats to Richmond backers.

I can't win 'em all, and certainly wasn't close on this one.

:shake:

We'll suffer together through 8 months of no FCS action.
GL with all your other plays.
bull

Back