Browns fire Shurmur

STEED

CTG Partner
Staff member
Let go of head coach Shurmur and GM Heckert

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=8791683

:thinking:

Why would bill cowher wanna coach tha shit browns? They would have to throw 10 mill a season for him to take that shit. I can see Andy Reid's morbidly obese ass there next year though

Worst kept secret in the history of canned-to-be coaches. He's been dead man walking since Haslam officially took ownership and kicked Holmgrem to the curb, everybody knew it. No one seems to have much of a pulse on which coach and GM/personnel guy are coming though. Whole new regime, we're used to this.

:thinking:

Why would bill cowher wanna coach tha shit browns? They would have to throw 10 mill a season for him to take that shit. I can see Andy Reid's morbidly obese ass there next year though

Well, he debuted his coaching career in Cleveland and has made it publicly known he loves the city.

He played for the Browns in early 80's.

He recently bought a house in Strongsville, OH and has made plenty of inferences to him coming back to the coaching game.

But oh, I don't know...no logical reason he would.

Doubt it will be Cowher. Pretty sure he turned down Lerner a couple times when he owned the team. And I've been hearing "Cowher just bought a house in Strongsville" for like 10 years, it's BS. It's become a local joke, every time there's a coaching vacancy in this town (and we've had a lot of 'em with these teams), Cowher, Gruden, Joe Torre or Coach K just purchased a house in Strongsville.

I really don't want Cowher or Gruden anymore anyway, they'd probably demand the coach-as-czar roles, and who knows what kind of team-building talent either one has. I want a hungry coach with a chip on his shoulder and a qualified GM.

He not coming to Cleveland, it was sarcastic (yet wishful) humor...lol relax guys.

Bill bought a house there within last five years. Says he lives there a good portion of year though.

Ok, Ok, they made me promise not to tell yet but I took the job last weekend. Now I'm looking for some asssitant coaches...... GL

I really don't want Cowher or Gruden anymore anyway, they'd probably demand the coach-as-czar roles, and who knows what kind of team-building talent either one has. I want a hungry coach with a chip on his shoulder and a qualified GM.

Couldn't disagree more. Give me a proven and seasoned vet in the game. No "hungry" leader gonna come in and turn this franchise around. They've tried that route.

Tress would be a disaster.

What's your reasoning here now? Can't think of one reason why Tress isn't NFL-ready, or has anything to lose giving it a try...

Again, personally prefer an experienced HC but what is there to lose at this point on his behalf?

Too old, too conservative, has never held a position in the NFL other than whatever that goofy replay consultant job was with the Colts.

His conservative style wouldn't (and couldn't) carry over at that level. Pretty sure his staff, regardless of who it is, would be sure of that...

Saban would be ideal, he has roots here from the Belichick tree. Could cost north of $10-mill/year to bag him though.

They're gonna have to spend regardless I think. This new guy doesn't seem to have a problem with that so far though.

I think Gary Patterson has NFL written all over him. I think he's a star. Jmo.

Just wishing out loud, no idea which guy(s) Haslam has his eye on. Saban fits as he's coached in the NFL before, he's coached in Cleveland before, he's not known for his loyalty or for sticking around anywhere too long, really nothing left to accomplish at Alabama or in college football, and he seems to be fond of money. The chip on his shoulder would come courtesy of his previous flop with the Dolphins. What we need from him is a denial, then we'll know he's coming.

Doubt it will be Cowher. Pretty sure he turned down Lerner a couple times when he owned the team. And I've been hearing "Cowher just bought a house in Strongsville" for like 10 years, it's BS. It's become a local joke, every time there's a coaching vacancy in this town (and we've had a lot of 'em with these teams), Cowher, Gruden, Joe Torre or Coach K just purchased a house in Strongsville.
LOL

lol-is-that-cheese.jpg

Just wishing out loud, no idea which guy(s) Haslam has his eye on. Saban fits as he's coached in the NFL before, he's coached in Cleveland before, he's not known for his loyalty or for sticking around anywhere too long, really nothing left to accomplish at Alabama or in college football, and he seems to be fond of money. The chip on his shoulder would come courtesy of his previous flop with the Dolphins. What we need from him is a denial, then we'll know he's coming.
That's great Tip, would be the sure fire sign.....

There's no way Saban coaches in the NFL any time soon. He burned that bridge than pissed on the fire for fun not to try to put it out. Also, he's a god in Alabama. Why would you leave that for no job security in the NFL. It won't happen.

What I don't like is that the Browns, again, start from essentially square one. Is it necessary, probably, but the entirety of the last decade has been spent doing this.

I also don't think it'll be Kelly. I think it'll be an NFL coordinator or even a veteran coach. The one thing the Browns kind of haven't tried is someone who was an HC somewhere else. But they've gone with unproven talent trying to find a diamond in the rough.

Funny thing is, I don't think it will be Andy Reid, but other than defensively he wouldn't be a bad choice because the Browns need to develop Weeden and developing QBs is what he does. He also refuses to draft linebackers so the Browns would continue to have this gaping hole over the middle for the next ten years which would just be awesome.

Ugh.

Worst kept secret in the history of canned-to-be coaches. He's been dead man walking since Haslam officially took ownership and kicked Holmgrem to the curb, everybody knew it. No one seems to have much of a pulse on which coach and GM/personnel guy are coming though. Whole new regime, we're used to this.

isn't this a bad idea? seems like he did a pretty good job to me. very young team, pretty tough division although one where Blt and Pitt are vulnerable and a good young team can take it over maybe as soon as next season, winning records ats this season. what am i missing?

And another thing. Can I make the case for Lovie Smith in Cleveland?

Don't get me wrong, the guy is not a top tier coach, but hear me out.

Lovie's defenses have always been great. Our defense blows goats. Consistently.

Lovie also prioritizes special teams and Josh Cribbs still has a lot of life in him—not to mention he may still be the most popular player in Cleveland.

The problem with Lovie is that his offenses tend to be a bit of a shambles, but the one thing that you have to admit is that he's always willing to try to fix that. Mike Martz, Mike Tice (shudder), at least the guy realizes he doesn't know that side of the ball and needs to get a guy in there to run that show. Meanwhile the side of the ball he does get, he does a great job with.

The Browns haven't had a really good defense since, I don't know, 1992? How great would it be to see a strong defense in Cleveland and a team that will consistently threaten nine wins a season for the next few years.

We have talent on the offensive side of the ball. We just need an OC who can come in and get something from it. What we don't have is any sort of defensive philosophy or enough talent to stop anybody on the other side of the ball.

I'm not saying Lovie is 'the' answer, like I said he's not top tier, but the reality is, we could do a lot worse.

There's no way Saban coaches in the NFL any time soon. He burned that bridge than pissed on the fire for fun not to try to put it out. Also, he's a god in Alabama. Why would you leave that for no job security in the NFL. It won't happen.

What I don't like is that the Browns, again, start from essentially square one. Is it necessary, probably, but the entirety of the last decade has been spent doing this.

I also don't think it'll be Kelly. I think it'll be an NFL coordinator or even a veteran coach. The one thing the Browns kind of haven't tried is someone who was an HC somewhere else. But they've gone with unproven talent trying to find a diamond in the rough.

Funny thing is, I don't think it will be Andy Reid, but other than defensively he wouldn't be a bad choice because the Browns need to develop Weeden and developing QBs is what he does. He also refuses to draft linebackers so the Browns would continue to have this gaping hole over the middle for the next ten years which would just be awesome.

Ugh.

How quickly you forget the Mangini era, JP.

I got the sense from the Haslam/Banner presser today that the new coach is going to have some power, makes me think they want one of the bigger fish, whoever they may be. They said they would hire the coach first, GM/personnel man second. Said that the coach was a more important hire for their vision going forward. I think Saban's a bit of a long shot, but for the reasons I listed earlier, not the most unlikely fit in the world. And I think you underestimate the power of money and Saban's ego ... he did recently, after all these years, pin some of his failure in Miami on the Dolphins medical staff not clearing the QB he wanted, Drew Brees. Sort of sounded like he was sick of hearing how he couldn't hack it in the NFL.

Wrong year to be looking for a coach though. 7 vacancies and counting, right? ... Could still see one in Jax, Carolina, maybe Dallas if Jerry wakes up on the wrong side of the bed tomorrow.

Plus Saban's 61. Kind of a young-looking and young-seeming 61, but 61 nonetheless. Getting pretty close to now or never for a guy who has moved around a lot. He's still at the top of my wish list, with the contingency that he would not have complete control of the draft board.

isn't this a bad idea? seems like he did a pretty good job to me. very young team, pretty tough division although one where Blt and Pitt are vulnerable and a good young team can take it over maybe as soon as next season, winning records ats this season. what am i missing?

You're missing what an average-to-below-average coach he is. Best thing I can say about Shurmur is that it never seemed he lost the team. But the in-game situational coaching, the clock management, that ridiculous 30-year-old "west coast offense" with those short slants, the inability to adapt game plans to suit personnel ... there's a reason other teams turn it around in a year and his teams won 9 games in two years while rarely getting blown out.

Back