Breaking News

S

SoonerBS

Arkansas' starting RB (the other one) for the USC game tweaked/pulled his hamstring in practice today. That's all the info for now they will report. The line at Pinny this morning was USC -7.5 for -105. It's now up to 8 and -8.5 at BetChris. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on USC myself.
beer.gif

B.A.R. said:
Tarheel

USC -8 -112 currently at Pinny

thx BAR. :gun: I wonder why I still cannot acces the home page??

Arkansas could have Matt Jones at QB, cobbs and talley in the backfield .. Caroll at CB and Hamlin at safety and still lose by 20.

You can bring anyone up in here all we need is 2 buckets.. swish swish

Check out the SC Boards...looks like Chauncy Washington was injured today.

Weird that no mention of Smith's injury was made.

rjurewitz said:
Check out the SC Boards...looks like Chauncy Washington was injured today.

Weird that no mention of Smith's injury was made.

Info comes from a diehard Hog fan that lives in Arky.

Well the SC Boards and LAT are reporting on Washington.

Both teams are really thin at healthy, experienced backs so this may be a passing fest...if it weren't for 2 new QBs starting.

The more I think about it, the more I like the under in this game. What do you think the total will be? 48? I'd think about taking the under.

rjurewitz said:
Well the SC Boards and LAT are reporting on Washington.

Both teams are really thin at healthy, experienced backs so this may be a passing fest...if it weren't for 2 new QBs starting.

The more I think about it, the more I like the under in this game. What do you think the total will be? 48? I'd think about taking the under.

I was thinking the same thing after reading an article that came off the wire a little while ago. Houston Nutt said in a press conference today that he felt like the defense was ahead of the offense at this point. I have to think the same is true for USC. I'm going to be playing more UNDERS the opening week than sides, RJ, the way it is looking. :cheers:

Tailback corps gets thinner as Smith injures hamstring

BY NATE ALLEN Northwest Arkansas Times
Posted on Wednesday, August 9, 2006
URL: http://www.wholehogsports.com/nwat/43646/

Just in time, it seems, the Razorbacks moved freshman linebacker Van Stumon of North Little Rock to join former offensive guard Mitch Petrus as reserve fullbacks.
The Hogs need all the reserve fullbacks they can get behind No. 2 fullback Farod Jackson because with tailback Michael Smith injuring a hamstring Tuesday night, No. 1 fullback Peyton Hillis likely will be playing a lot of tailback behind sophomore starter Felix Jones.
Jones was going to be a co-first team tailback with Preseason All-SEC tailback Darren McFadden, but McFadden is idled indefinitely and doubtful for the Sept. 2 opener with Southern California as he rehabs from major surgery on his dislocated left toe.
Now Smith, the redshirt freshman redshirted last year because of a pulled hamstring, injured a hamstring during Tuesday night’s practice in shoulder pads and shorts. Smith will be evaluated over these next few days, trainer Dean Weber said.
Running backs coach Danny Nutt said it wasn’t the same hamstring Smith injured last preseason.
In the meantime, head coach Houston Nutt and Danny Nutt must feel fortunate to have Stumon to fullback Tuesday before Smith’s injury and their unorthodox switch of the 6-5, 284-pound Petrus to fullback just before drills began last Saturday.
“[Stumon ] came over there and did some good things, ” Houston Nutt said. “ We’ll keep him going. ”
Stumon was recruited as a possibility at linebacker, fullback or defensive end, but the choice is clear to Danny Nutt.
“ Van Stumon is a natural fullback, ” Danny Nutt said. “ He has great hands. He is going to help us. ”
Meanwhile, Petrus seems like a bull in a china shop — and twice during Tuesday night’s drill defenders dropped like broken china.
“ Not real athletic, ” D. Nutt said of Petrus, “ but when he gets a hold of you, you are going to get knocked to the ground. Not knowing yet about Smith’s hamstring, we are going to need those guys at fullback so Peyton can be ready at tailback. ”
The defense was ready Tuesday night in the fullteam portion of drills.
However, other than one pick by cornerback Matteral Richardson of a Mitch Mustain pass, quarterbacks Mustain, the freshman from Springdale, and Robert Johnson fared well in the pass skel preceding the full-team workout.
Sophomore quarterback Casey Dick, the incumbent from starting the final four games of 2005, didn’t do any team portion Tuesday but likely will get plenty of work tonight. Offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn and quarterbacks coach Alex Wood try to give each of the three quarterbacks extensive auditions.
“ We just are mixing it up, ” Houston Nutt said. “ We are rolling them without knowing who is going to be under pressure. You are up, you are up. You never know when your number is going to be called. ”
The defense seemed to have the right numbers during team.
“ Pass skel we stunk it up, ” defensive backfield coach Louis Campbell said, “ but in team we came back and did a good job. Overall we were pleased with where we were today, obviously there is tomorrow. ”
Houston said a veteran defense is “ playing with confidence and is a step ahead. ”
Adding shoulder pads Tuesday night seemed to make the defense a hit ahead, too.
However, the offense also progresses.
“ We are light years ahead of where we were in the spring, ” first-year offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn said after Tuesday’s practice. “ When we put our best out there, we are a pretty good offensive football team. We are trying to rotate those quarterbacks and see who the best is.
“ We are getting closer to making decisions. The wide receivers are getting better every day. Running routes better and the quarterbacks are starting to get it to them. ”
The addition of five freshman scholarship receivers continues to spur to shine the veteran receivers that other than Marcus Monk suffered either injury-plagued or lackluster spring drills.
“ Our young guys, ” Malzahn said, “ brought in a lot of energy and our old guys have responded. They aren’t the same receivers they were in the spring. I told them the other day, I don’t even recognize you. Right now it looks like we’ll be able to put eight guys in the rotation. ”
Senior offensive right tackle Zac Tubbs is healthy again after a minor ailment and practiced first-team Tuesday night.

very interesting info. i know jackshit about CFB so i'll be sure to look back in this thread the next few days

they can put whatever spin they want on this, but the bottom line is that the Hogs are hurting at RB...

Updated: Aug. 9, 2006, 11:46 PM ET
Nutt unhappy with players committing infractions

Associated Press
College Football News Wire

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Arkansas football coach Houston Nutt wasn't pleased with the number of infractions committed by his players as they practiced under the lights Wednesday night.

"We had a good night, but it wasn't as good as we wanted it to be," Nutt said. "I didn't think we finished right. We had a few too many illegal procedures, offside penalties and holding calls. We don't want to beat ourselves. This game is tough enough."

The Razorbacks practiced in shoulder pads and helmets for the second straight day. The first full-pads workout is slated for Thursday evening.

Quarterback Casey Dick was held out of a majority of Wednesday's practice with a sore back.

"Dean (Webber, team trainer) wanted us to hold him," Nutt said. "He went through the run polish. He went through the fundamentals. We just want to get him ready to go as we put on pads. He was just a little sore and a little tight."

Back