Bowl Writeups and Hopefully Feedback

Happy New Year, and good luck Brass.

My concern is the history of the Big 10 vs Sec in bowls, where they are 3-9 su, and 2-10 ats. Including 1-6 ats as a dog.
Totally agree. Big Ten teams are always at a disadvantage against the SEC because virtually every game is played in the SEC's footprint, but it's not really an excuse. I'm hoping Fleck doesn't waste too many downs by trying to run right into Derek Brown. Their pass game is legit if they use it, and their defense has been solid. I just can't see them getting up for Minny. I could be wrong. I'm gonna be on the SEC squad in the other game though....

Happy New Year, and good luck Brass.

My concern is the history of the Big 10 vs Sec in bowls, where they are 3-9 su, and 2-10 ats. Including 1-6 ats as a dog.
What is the timeframe for this? Just pure curiosity because I know there has been a lot more than 12 matchups.

20. Capital One Bowl: Alabama -7.5 v Michigan: There are definitely reasons to be optimistic about Michigan's chances in this game. Patterson has looked very good throwing the ball in recent weeks, and Michigan overall has looked like a different team, save the latter stages of the OSU game. Having said all that, I just can't envision Harbaugh coming up with a signature performance here in such a big game, especially after it became evident that all of Alabama's offensive weapons will be available. Even with Mack Jones, Bama put up 40+ on Auburn...I just can't see Michigan's secondary hanging with Bama's receivers enough to keep them within shouting distance of the Michigan offense. I also don't think there's gonna be a letdown for Bama when they look over there and see those Michigan uniforms. In my handicapping structure, Bama has the edge in just about every category, so I've gotta lay the points here. IMO Michigan could play well and still lose by 14 with Bama's penchant for defensive and special teams TDs.

Last edited:
What is the timeframe for this? Just pure curiosity because I know there has been a lot more than 12 matchups.
Actually, I saw that stat from Fallica, so I got curious and checked. Granted it was very rudimentary manual accounting off the BTN website and I might have missed some, but I counted 5-9 straight up since the 14-15 bowl season.

The point remains though...the SEC has hammered the Big Ten over the past decade or so with only a few exceptions.

I am interested to see if Saban calls off the dogs, if they get up. Seem to recall some bad blood earl in Harbaugh’s tenure at Michigan. AL is notorious of leaving the back door wide open.

Actually, I saw that stat from Fallica, so I got curious and checked. Granted it was very rudimentary manual accounting off the BTN website and I might have missed some, but I counted 5-9 straight up since the 14-15 bowl season.

The point remains though...the SEC has hammered the Big Ten over the past decade or so with only a few exceptions.

In 25 years of bowl games the SEC has won 65% and covered 58% vs B10

View attachment 44872

In the last 10 years the percents were even higher...of note the over cashes consistently

View attachment 44873

Amazing how many times the SEC meets the B10 on Jan1 and the record is not nearly as strong on New Years day

conference = SEC and int(str(date) [-4 :]) = 101 and ...
gamesATS
W - L- P (marg, %win)
Avg LineOU
W - L- P (marg, %over)
Avg TotalSU
W - L- P (marg, %win)
SDQL
5227-24-1 (0.22, 52.9%)-2.415-8-2 (1.16, 65.2%)51.130-22-0 (2.65, 57.7%)o:conference = B10
147-7-0 (-0.18, 50.0%)3.11-4-0 (-1.60, 20.0%)60.65-9-0 (-3.29, 35.7%)o:conference = B12
103-6-1 (-4.15, 33.3%)0.70-1-0 (-13.00, 0.0%)51.02-7-1 (-4.80, 22.2%)o:conference = IND
42-2-0 (1.12, 50.0%)-1.40-0-0 (0.00, 0.0%)-2-2-0 (2.50, 50.0%)o:conference = SWC
42-2-0 (1.62, 50.0%)-5.40-1-0 (-16.50, 0.0%)46.53-1-0 (7.00, 75.0%)o:conference = ACC
44-0-0 (22.12, 100.0%)-3.61-0-0 (17.00, 100.0%)58.04-0-0 (25.75, 100.0%)o:conference = BE
21-1-0 (-8.25, 50.0%)-8.81-1-0 (4.50, 50.0%)62.01-1-0 (0.50, 50.0%)o:conference = AAC
11-0-0 (1.00, 100.0%)-8.00-0-0 (0.00, 0.0%)-1-0-0 (9.00, 100.0%)o:conference = P10
11-0-0 (21.90, 100.0%)-9.10-1-0 (-17.00, 0.0%)68.01-0-0 (31.00, 100.0%)o:conference = WAC

only 6-7-1 ats last 7 years vs B10 on 1JAN and a whopping 10-2-2 over the total
View attachment 44874

game type = BG and conference = B10 and o:conference = SEC

SU:29-53-0 (-4.83, 35.4%)Teaser Records
ATS:34-47-1 (-2.41, 42.0%) avg line: 2.4 +6: 52-28-2 (65.0%) -6: 18-64-0 (22.0%) +10: 59-22-1 (72.8%) -10: 15-67-0 (18.3%)
O/U:22-13-2 (1.88, 62.9%) avg total: 50.4+6: 11-24-2 (31.4%) -6: 29-8-0 (78.4%) +10: 8-29-0 (21.6%) -10: 31-6-0 (83.8%)

21. Rose Bowl Wisconsin -3 v Oregon: I might be jaded by that horrific, mealy mouthed, effeminately fragile performance by Utah, but let's take a look at some examples of how the Pac 12 has played in this bowl season. Let's get Washington out of the way first. Yay ! What might be the most talented team in the conference got to play against a Mountain West team and took care of business. Goofdfor you. USC was completely outclassed and dominated by Iowa, not even able to force a punt in the first 3 quarters against an Iowa offense that was average at best in the Big Ten pecking order. Washington State never really had a chance against Air Force. Utah was completely dominated and embarrassed by a 7-5 Texas team in disarray with no motivation. Even the two teams that won recently were questionable. Arizona State got gifted 6 turnovers and got outgained by 200+ yards against a terrible FSU team that can't get out of it's own way and still had to hang on for dear life. Cal(who I actually like) got to play an Illinois team with 8 of their top 10 players missing and still got outgained by 100+ yards and gave up 450 yards to an offense that was at the bottom of the Big Ten and didn't have any of their top 5 receiving targets. It's not been pretty.
Now Oregon comes in to play Wisconsin. It seems as though Oregon has a good defense, but based on what we've seen from the rest of the Pac 12, is that really the case? They built most of their statistical case against the likes of Nevada, Colorado, a Garbers-less Cal, Stanford, Oregon State and Arizona. Wisconsin has hit their stride in recent weeks, similar to how they looked early in the year, and were as effective against Ohio State in the forst half of the B10 title game as anyone was this year, including Clemson. The Chryst/Cristobal matchup looks like a mismatch, and at this point, I just can't trust a Pac 12 team against a hungry Wisconsin team that has won and covered 5 bowls in a row (and all 4 under Chryst). Coan is underrated (17/4 ratio), and if Oregon puts the clamps on Jonathan Taylor I'll tip my cap, but let's just say I'm a bit skeptical on that possibility.

22. Sugar Bowl: Georgia -4 v Baylor: I know that this line move has a lot to do with who Georgia is missing, but this is just too low now. After their performance in the Sugar Bowl last year, Kirby Smart really needs a good bowl performance, and after watching Baylor struggle for large portions of their two games against Oklahoma's defense, and after watching them put up pedestrian point totals against he likes of TCU, Texas Tech, etc, I can't see how they score with a not quite 100% Charlie Brewer against this Georgia defense. This is a Baylor team that I'd be more than willing to roll the dice with if they were getting 8-10, but not at 4. Even the motivational edge that you would assume would be in Baylor's favor is now in question, as Rhule is rumored to just about every NFL job and as I mentioned, Georgia finds themselves in a similar motivational spot that Auburn was in last year before they kicked off with Purdue. Georgia doesn't have an edge over the Baylor D, but this just isn't enough points for a team that is going to struggle mightily to move the ball.

22. Sugar Bowl: Georgia -4 v Baylor: I know that this line move has a lot to do with who Georgia is missing, but this is just too low now. After their performance in the Sugar Bowl last year, Kirby Smart really needs a good bowl performance, and after watching Baylor struggle for large portions of their two games against Oklahoma's defense, and after watching them put up pedestrian point totals against he likes of TCU, Texas Tech, etc, I can't see how they score with a not quite 100% Charlie Brewer against this Georgia defense. This is a Baylor team that I'd be more than willing to roll the dice with if they were getting 8-10, but not at 4. Even the motivational edge that you would assume would be in Baylor's favor is now in question, as Rhule is rumored to just about every NFL job and as I mentioned, Georgia finds themselves in a similar motivational spot that Auburn was in last year before they kicked off with Purdue. Georgia doesn't have an edge over the Baylor D, but this just isn't enough points for a team that is going to struggle mightily to move the ball.
With you here @ same number. Decent size wager for me too. Good luck. Great thread, as always

20. Capital One Bowl: Alabama -7 v Michigan: There are definitely reasons to be optimistic about Michigan's chances in this game. Patterson has looked very good throwing the ball in recent weeks, and Michigan overall has looked like a different team, save the latter stages of the OSU game. Having said all that, I just can't envision Harbaugh coming up with a signature performance here in such a big game, especially after it became evident that all of Alabama's offensive weapons will be available. Even with Mack Jones, Bama put up 40+ on Auburn...I just can't see Michigan's secondary hanging with Bama's receivers enough to keep them within shouting distance of the Michigan offense. I also don't think there's gonna be a letdown for Bama when they look over there and see those Michigan uniforms. In my handicapping structure, Bama has the edge in just about every category, so I've gotta lay the points here. IMO Michigan could play well and still lose by 14 with Bama's penchant for defensive and special teams TDs.

Who has Alabama beat this year that was any good ?

Who has Alabama beat this year that was any good ?
Can’t argue with this, it’s what I was saying when they were still in the mix for the playoff. However, you can see what their strengths are and I’m skeptical that Harbaugh can sack up and get it done. I hope he does actually .

Did I just hear Dave Pasch and Greg McElroy praise the Alabama coaching staff, and even suggest this was one of Nick Saban's best coaching jobs? For going 11-2 against a schedule that included 2 legitimate top 25 teams and with a roster that has 9 sure fire first rounders IN THIS YEAR"S DRAFT on it?

From another site..

The Hoosiers did not beat a single team that finished the season with more than five wins. In fact, Indiana's eight victories have come against opponents that have a combined record of just 25-71.

From another site..

The Hoosiers did not beat a single team that finished the season with more than five wins. In fact, Indiana's eight victories have come against opponents that have a combined record of just 25-71.
Not going to be able to help much kuvol, as I have these two teams as pretty even, and I'm not taking a position on either of the games today. As for IU, their schedule was pretty segmented. They beat the mediocre/bad teams and lost to the good (or very good) teams on their schedule. Assuming that none of the issues that the Vols were having early in the season pop up again, I would also lean to the Vols winning the game, but IMO laying anything significant with either team is a dicey proposition.

^^^^^^^We've all been there Bank. Kudos on a terrific rant, and you are absolutely correct. USC's defense.....what am embarrassment. Iowa scored TD's on every drive until deep into the 3rd quarter, i.e., until they didn't care to score anymore. I'm sure this effort will silence the Helton critics. I'd say the Slovis injury had a lot to do with it, but Iowa could have scored on every drive if they felt like it.

Slovis injury def sucked. Especially the timing as it was looking like usc coulda possibly won without ever getting a defensive stop at that point. No way to know what woulda happened had he not got hurt, only thing I’m confident in saying is the 4th woulda been way more exciting if he was in there. Kid throws a pretty deep ball and the backup wasted all their wr talent checking it down over and over.

From another site..

Vols wins not very impressive either. Hoosiers actually have the stronger SOS. I’m having a nightmare time picking the winner just for the confidence pools. Lol. I think there good cases to be made for both. I like the over far as betting goes. Gonna flip a coin to determine confidence pool pick! Lol

Good call on gophers bud. I sure did not expect them to be able to control the LOS like they did. My highest rated confidence loss.

Good call on gophers bud. I sure did not expect them to be able to control the LOS like they did. My highest rated confidence loss.
Thanks Bank. It's always fun when the contrarian plays materialize like you think they will.

Wow!! I played Ohio -7 at (-125) this morning, planned on writing it up, then went for walk, came back and it's -9.5 and still rising.

I still suspect Ohio will cover this, but since nobody can get the number I got at this point, I'm not going to "officially" write it up. Asleep at the wheel this morning.

It's funny that the line is just now moving, as I guess people didn't give this game a second thought until today. We've known since the last week of the regular season that several Nevada defensive players are going to be out. Even with those guys, Nevada was going to have a hard time against Ohio's offense. QB Nathan Rourke is a stud. He was a bit of a one man gang early in the year, but found some trust in his teammates, leading to another strong year for the Ohio offense. They aren't great, as they struggled against the top defenses on their schedule, but they absolutely laid waste to weak defenses(which the MAC has several of). Nevada more closely resembles the weak ones, and with 4 major contributors to their defense suspended, they're going to look exactly like those MAC defenses. Two of the suspended guys, Daniel Brown and Austin Arnold, look to definitely be their top two DBs, and another one, DT Sekona looks to be their best interior lineman. LB Sewell is also suspended for the 1st half, and he was their 3rd leading tackler. I'm no expert on Nevada's roster, but I'd assume the WolfPack don't have a bunch of 4 star guys hanging around on their scout team. Offensively, they've been mostly anemic (113th in ypp, 120th in yards per carry and 111th in yards per attempt) and QB Carson Strong sports only a 10/7 ratio. I'd never accuse Ohio of having a dominant defense, but they hang in there enough to handle this offense. I see very little chance that they can keep pace with an Ohio offense that will probably put up 500+yards.

So far this bowl season beating the close hasn’t been worth a fukk. Seems like every big move been dead wrong, lol. Hope it changes here. Gl

All I can say bout that game if you got a good number Is thank god some these coaches are really bad at math!! lol

Not gonna have a play on the USM/Tulane game today. From a fundamental handicapping perspective, I can see this game being close because although USM is not a strong defense, they have been good stopping the run, so if Tulane is going to have major success on offense, they'll have to throw the ball downfield. That's not really their MO. Also, Tulane doesn't pressure the quarterback, so assuming Jack Abraham is 100%, he'll have time to throw. This could be problematic for a team trying to cover more than a TD. However......USM has done almost all of their damage against bad teams. The only even marginally decent teams they beat were UAB and Troy, and UAB was without their QB in that one. When they played any legimitately competent teams, the closest they came was 15. They lost to LT by 15, FAU by 17 and WKU by 18, and you can make a pretty good case that Tulane is better than all three of those teams coming from a higher level of competition. It's a no play for me.

I liked Tulane early in the season with time/prep and their bowl performance last year. Seems like the grind of the season really wore them down. Don’t like S Miss record on grass, either.

I know. Ohio did everything they could to blow that cover but Norvell refused to kick the FG.

Wouldn’t have effected you but why in God’s name did he choose to go for 2 when the xp would have made it a 8 point game? Then passing on the fg was right up there with Carroll calling a pass on one yard line against pats! Lol. I ended up playing Ohio 1st half -6.5 cause I was late and had no interest laying 10, so pretty much was just watching in fascination with no skin in the game: line move talked me into looking sharp with the 1st half play. Lol. Nice to see beating a close finally mattering and books getting middled one time this bowl season!! Congrats.

Going into this last game for the 2019-2020 bowl season, I'll at least end up better than a coin flip. I started out horrifically at 1-5, but rode a 12-4 stretch after Christmas to get to 13-9(.5909). Moral of the story? Tread lightly before 12/25, as this has now been the case for me for 3 straight years. Next year, assuming I'm around, I hope everyone reminds me that I said that when I have plays on every bowl game the opening Saturday.

Mythical National Championship Game: Clemson +5.5 v LSU: I seriously doubt I'm alone when I say that I never for one millisecond considered going against Clemson in this spot. I realize that LSU has an historic offense led by a QB who has quite possibly made zero mistakes all year, and if they legitimately tried to score a touchdown on every play vs Oklahoma, would have topped 100 points in that game. I also would suggest that whatever hand wringing is occurring regarding LSU's defense is completely overblown, as they never seriously were in danger of losing this year and almost all of the source of any statistical red flags were in garbage time type situations...the Ole Miss game was never in doubt(other than the spread) and even the Alabama game never had a situation where Bama had the ball within a score in the second half. My point is that this LSU defense was never on the field where they felt like they **had** to get a stop. Almost every time they were out there, their offense had just gone 80 yards in 4 plays, and every indication was that they would do it the next time they went on the field too. I fully realize how good this LSU team has been, and will not try to make a case that they are flawed, because I don't think they have any significant flaws anywhere. Having said that, nobody can deny the overwhelming and unquestionable value in this line for Clemson. I'm not going to waste everyone's time in rambling on about how good they are, how good they've been, and what they rank in key areas. They're good everywhere, just like they were last year when they embarrassed an Alabama team that people at the time were calling one of the best 5 or 6 best college teams of all time, who seemed just as invincible as this LSU team. The reason that there exists this major line value is very fraudulent in my opinion. LSU so thoroughly destroyed Oklahoma that the betting public had almost no choice but to create an environment forcing books to make this Clemson team a 5-6 point underdog. This is despite everyone realizing that if either Clemson or Ohio State had gotten the number one seed, the same fate would have befallen the Sooners and either of those teams would likely be the strong favorite in this game. Ultimately, in my opinion, it comes down to this: People criticize Clemson for their schedule this year, and no serious person would question the prevailing wisdom that Clemson's schedule was weak. However, I'd like to know how this Clemson team differs from the one that took Alabama apart last year? If you take a gander at Clemson's schedule from 2018, it was terrible that year too, and they actually had 2 games like the UNC game this year rather than only 1. They return the top rusher, the top 3 receivers and 4 OL with starting experience from that team not to mention Trevor Lawrence, and the defense is statistically better than last year vs a very similar schedule. The one difference with this year's team is that they have the experience of playing an elite Ohio State team in the Fiesta Bowl and prevailing in that game despite having to stare into the abyss of a 16-0 deficit and getting outplayed in the game. They know that regardless of what happens early, they will have the ability to come back. They also have the chip on their shoulder of being the undefeated undisputed returning champs yet still the same level underdog against an SEC bigfoot that they were last year. The motivational situation really couldn't be any better for them. Again, I realize how good LSU is, I absolutely do. However, in my opinion, any bettor worth his salt who has paid attention for longer than the past 30 days absolutely cannot bet anything other than Clemson +5.5.

Good stuff, Br@ss. I agree with your sentiment here, for sure. A bettor would have to take either of these teams if they're getting this high of a number. In addition, doesn't Swinney have an Urban Meyer-ish history as a dog?

Going into this last game for the 2019-2020 bowl season, I'll at least end up better than a coin flip. I started out horrifically at 1-5, but rode a 12-4 stretch after Christmas to get to 13-9(.5909). Moral of the story? Tread lightly before 12/25, as this has now been the case for me for 3 straight years. Next year, assuming I'm around, I hope everyone reminds me that I said that when I have plays on every bowl game the opening Saturday.

Mythical National Championship Game: Clemson +5.5 v LSU: I seriously doubt I'm alone when I say that I never for one millisecond considered going against Clemson in this spot. I realize that LSU has an historic offense led by a QB who has quite possibly made zero mistakes all year, and if they legitimately tried to score a touchdown on every play vs Oklahoma, would have topped 100 points in that game. I also would suggest that whatever hand wringing is occurring regarding LSU's defense is completely overblown, as they never seriously were in danger of losing this year and almost all of the source of any statistical red flags were in garbage time type situations...the Ole Miss game was never in doubt(other than the spread) and even the Alabama game never had a situation where Bama had the ball within a score in the second half. My point is that this LSU defense was never on the field where they felt like they **had** to get a stop. Almost every time they were out there, their offense had just gone 80 yards in 4 plays, and every indication was that they would do it the next time they went on the field too. I fully realize how good this LSU team has been, and will not try to make a case that they are flawed, because I don't think they have any significant flaws anywhere. Having said that, nobody can deny the overwhelming and unquestionable value in this line for Clemson. I'm not going to waste everyone's time in rambling on about how good they are, how good they've been, and what they rank in key areas. They're good everywhere, just like they were last year when they embarrassed an Alabama team that people at the time were calling one of the best 5 or 6 best college teams of all time, who seemed just as invincible as this LSU team. The reason that there exists this major line value is very fraudulent in my opinion. LSU so thoroughly destroyed Oklahoma that the betting public had almost no choice but to create an environment forcing books to make this Clemson team a 5-6 point underdog. This is despite everyone realizing that if either Clemson or Ohio State had gotten the number one seed, the same fate would have befallen the Sooners and either of those teams would likely be the strong favorite in this game. Ultimately, in my opinion, it comes down to this: People criticize Clemson for their schedule this year, and no serious person would question the prevailing wisdom that Clemson's schedule was weak. However, I'd like to know how this Clemson team differs from the one that took Alabama apart last year? If you take a gander at Clemson's schedule from 2018, it was terrible that year too, and they actually had 2 games like the UNC game this year rather than only 1. They return the top rusher, the top 3 receivers and 4 OL with starting experience from that team not to mention Trevor Lawrence, and the defense is statistically better than last year vs a very similar schedule. The one difference with this year's team is that they have the experience of playing an elite Ohio State team in the Fiesta Bowl and prevailing in that game despite having to stare into the abyss of a 16-0 deficit and getting outplayed in the game. They know that regardless of what happens early, they will have the ability to come back. They also have the chip on their shoulder of being the undefeated undisputed returning champs yet still the same level underdog against an SEC bigfoot that they were last year. The motivational situation really couldn't be any better for them. Again, I realize how good LSU is, I absolutely do. However, in my opinion, any bettor worth his salt who has paid attention for longer than the past 30 days absolutely cannot bet anything other than Clemson +5.5.

Can’t disagree with any of this. Though, I will say there is one major difference in the Clemson team this year compared to last and that’s the DL. The DL that had last year was completely unreal. Not that they aren’t still good, but last year was a different animal.

As about as good of an unbiased opinion as I have come across on this game. I do agree with the above poster who highlighted the one major difference with Clemson. With that said the free 4+ points are just too much for you fellas to pass on in this situation.

Can’t disagree with any of this. Though, I will say there is one major difference in the Clemson team this year compared to last and that’s the DL. The DL that had last year was completely unreal. Not that they aren’t still good, but last year was a different animal.

The best way to defend LSU is to be able to generate pressure without blitzing. Last year's Clemson DL would have eaten them up like they did everyone. I don't know about this year's Clemson DL. I haven't watched enough of them to know. LSU's OL is very average, but because of the way Burrow operates, they don't have to be otherworldly. The only team that I saw that was able to do it was AU, but their offense was so bad, they couldn't give the defense any help and they eventually wore down. Clemson has the offense to complement the defense, but can they have some success against the offense is the question. They are undeniably better now than when AU gave them some trouble.

If you watched the way the Vikings got pressure on Brees in the WC round, that is how you defend this offense. Obviously night and day talent-wise between NFL players and college.

What’s been missed from the Auburn game (besides the sloppy field conditions) is that LSU still had 500 plus yards. However, 3 times inside the 5 resulted in only 3 points (FG, turnover on downs, INT). Not to mention another turnover on downs well within field goal range. That is where Clemson scares me the most. Redzone defense vs redzone offense. That and turnovers decide the game, spread and likely the total. Strength on strength once again.

P.S. Only in Bamaland can a Joe Moore award unit be dubbed VERY average without a blink. But I do agree that Jeaux has made them look better than they are for chunks of the season.

The Auburn game saw LSU inside the Auburn 30, or maybe 35 can’t remember which, on four different occasions with 0 points. Two field goals in those trips and the narrative on that game is drastically different than what it has been.

Auburn did have more success than anyone else, but that’s relative.

What’s been missed from the Auburn game (besides the sloppy field conditions) is that LSU still had 500 plus yards. However, 3 times inside the 5 resulted in only 3 points (FG, turnover on downs, INT). Not to mention another turnover on downs well within field goal range. That is where Clemson scares me the most. Redzone defense vs redzone offense. That and turnovers decide the game, spread and likely the total. Strength on strength once again.

P.S. Only in Bamaland can a Joe Moore award unit be dubbed VERY average without a blink. But I do agree that Jeaux has made them look better than they are for chunks of the season.
Love gps, but very average O line he lost me.

No one thought they would play this well, I’ll say that

Love gps, but very average O line he lost me.

No one thought they would play this well, I’ll say that

Average in talent I should clarify. Read the scouting reports, maybe a couple day 3 NFL draft picks. A rising tide lifts all ships, so the virtuosity of Burrow and the skill guys is why they won the award. I'd say there are at least 2 Offensive lines in the SEC alone that are better, nevermind the whole country. Hope I don't get in trouble for this, but this is taken from a story on the team:

Up front, LSU won the Joe Moore Award as the nation’s top offensive line. The group has come a long way, reducing its sacks allowed percentage on pass attempts by around 33 percent and improving the running game from four yards per carry to almost five a carry. “It’s a good line, not a great line,” said one of the defensive coordinators. “I think they’ve got a bunch of late-round picks there. They’re better in the middle than they are at the tackles. (Offensive guard Damien Lewis) is probably their best guy. He’s strong as shit and has handled some big-time games he’s faced. The center (Lloyd Cushenberry) is a good player. The tackles are improved, but I think they’re only slightly above average. No. 76 (right tackle Austin Deculus) still has a lot of trouble with speed, but Burrow is so good at getting rid of it, he compensates well for it.”

Back