• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Bowl Season Write-Ups and Hopefully Feedback

As usual, I won't have an official play on an Illinois game, so nothing coming from me on the Reliaquest Bowl, but as usual, I'll give you my thoughts. So much has happened with this game since the matchup was announced that I think most people have flipped their opinions. First of all, RIP to one of the greatest characters and one of the undeniably a trailblazer of college football, Mike Leach. Back in early December, the momentum in the Mississippi State program was kind of questionable. The transfer RB Dillion Johnson had a disrespectful comment about Leach on the way out and there were rumors that more players were not happy. Since then, however, it seems like the team has been galvanized, so much so that two defensive players who had previously opted out have reconsidered (DB Forbes being the most important.) At the same time, 3 very important players for Illinois opted out, and much has been said about that. Devon Witherspoon is a fantastic player, and one of the biggest reasons why Illinois was so good against the pass this year. Did you all know that Illinois gave up only 8 passing TDs and picked off 22 passes? They led the nation in both categories. Witherspoon is a major reason for that. The other two opt outs are S Sydney Brown and his twin brother Chase, both of whom were team leaders. Sydney is a good safety and a playmaker, but he is prone to boneheaded plays. He especially proved that in the back to back stretch against Michigan State and Purdue where he killed the Illini with some terrible personal foul penalties. The Illinois defense will miss those two guys, (as well as their other starting CB Taz Nicholson who is out for the year with a knee injury) but they were far from a 3 man defense. All of their front 7 is playing, and they are impossible to run on. Illinois obviously has a drop off from the 3 missing guys in the secondary, but they have some depth there. Rogers will be able to rack up yards, but Illinois will compete well on that side of the ball. I'm worried about them missing Chase Brown however. The Illinois offense was very reliant on him, and although Reggie Love was ok as he primary second RB, Chase Brown was a Doak Walker finalist for a reason. They'll have Josh McCray back at RB as well, but he has looked very timid in his limited return from a knee injury that has kept him out for much of the year, so I don't expect much from him. Illinois will have to throw it because MSU has very good run defense metrics. Tommy DeVito is capable, but the Illinois receivers are not necessarily deep threats. They are reliable in short routes, and Isaiah Williams breaks a lot of tackles, but they will have to sustain 10-12 play drives, and that's tough against a good SEC defense like the Bulldogs have. Now that the line has gotten to 3, I wouldn't recommend laying it because Bielema is money as a dog, but i won't be on the Illini. I'll be there so I'll be rooting for the Illini, but I won't be vested financially in the outcome.

Nothing for me on the Citrus Bowl because if we've learned anything this bowl season(or if I've learned anything) it's that favorites have been losers much more often than not. There's no way I'd lay 15.5 with LSU here no matter how many important Purdue players don't feel like playing(and there's a lot). 6th year senior Austin Burton will be starting at QB for Purdue, and not only is he not good, he won't have the two most important receivers by leaps and bounds, WR Charlie Jones and TE Payne Durham. Those two combined for 166(!!!!) receptions, and who knows how many targets. They're also missing their top lineman on offense and their best cover corner. LSU is missing some guys as well, but QB Daniels appears to be playing and they have depth to cover for losses that Purdue doesn't have. I would have liked to see these two teams match up at full strength, but such is life in College football in 2022. I do think Purdue has a chance to run it effectively with Devin Mockabee, who I love, but Burton looked a bit overmatched when he started against FAU, so Purdue will have a hard time effectively moving the ball through the air. Jeff Brohm being gone is a major loss on gameday as well, and the fact that his brother Brian is calling the shots now with one foot undoubtedly out the door to join his brother in Louisville is problematic as well. There's not enough for me to make a play on either side here.

I should also mention that I REALLY wish Purdue didn't hire Ryan Walters, because I think he's going to do a great job there in the same division(for now) as my Illini. I knew Walters was going to get a head job somewhere, I just wish it wasn't 70 miles away from Champaign within the conference. Stanford or Colorado or somewhere like that would have been much better IMO.

19 Cotton Bowl Tulane +2 v USC: If these two teams were at full strength, I would have this as a tossup game, and now that USC is missing two of their best offensive linemen and their Belitnikoff winning WR, I like the Green Wave here. I can talk all day long about the USC defense and how they can't tackle and they have a hard time stopping just about anyone, but I don't need to do that because everyone watched USC''s game with Utah. Tulane RB Tyjae Spears is a nightmare for this USC defense. He averaged almost 7 yards per carry and had 15TDs. He doesn't just "go down" so this is going to be a chore for the tackling deficient Trojans. Also, QB Michael Pratt is more than capable of beating them through the air as he sports a 25/5 ratio and two receivers who average more than 18 yards per reception. Caleb Williams appears to be ready to go, so I assume he'll account for 3 or 4 scoring drives on his won, but the Tulane defense is no pushover, having ranked 24th in yards per play against and 10th against the pass. If USC is smart, they'll run it with Austin Jones because Tulane has struggled to stop the run. The biggest reason I like Tulane here though is motivation. USC had the CFP in their grasp if they could have taken care of Utah in the Pac 12 title game and they blew it. I can't see them getting up for Tulane, while the opposite will be true for the Green Wave. If Tulane was a vastly inferior squad, it wouldn't matter, but I don't see if that way. I Tulane is a solid squad more than capable to exposing USC's weaknesses, so I'm going to take the points.

Last edited:
I've gone back and forth on the Rose Bowl, and I can't pick a side. The Penn State defense is better than Utah's D and the Utah offense is better than Penn State's. It's a total tossup. Utah is a slight favorite, but I like their QB and coach better than I like Penn State's. For that reason, I would probably take Utah ML if there was a gun to my head, but I wouldn't be surprised if Penn State won this game either. I can't really offer anything worth a shit on this one.

Thanks to all that provided so much value to the thread. It really was a lot of fun this year. I'll throw a wrap up post on here once all the dust has settled. Happy New Year to everyone!

I've gone back and forth on the Rose Bowl, and I can't pick a side. The Penn State defense is better than Utah's D and the Utah offense is better than Penn State's. It's a total tossup. Utah is a slight favorite, but I like their QB and coach better than I like Penn State's. For that reason, I would probably take Utah ML if there was a gun to my head, but I wouldn't be surprised if Penn State won this game either. I can't really offer anything worth a shit on this one.

Thanks to all that provided so much value to the thread. It really was a lot of fun this year. I'll throw a wrap up post on here once all the dust has settled. Happy New Year to everyone!
Brass, thanks for doing this week after week. Your thoughts are always insightful, and when I am on the opposite side of you, I go back and read again to see what I am missing. One of the best, if not THE best, CFB thread here.

Much appreciated Brass… thank you for all the time and effort to share your thoughts throughout the season

Brass, thanks for doing this week after week. Your thoughts are always insightful, and when I am on the opposite side of you, I go back and read again to see what I am missing. One of the best, if not THE best, CFB thread here.
Thank you splinter. Great win for Penn State tonight. I'm sure it feels great.

Great job as always brass… I wish I had your discipline
I don't always show it...actually, I seldom show it. I need to make it a priority. The key is not fooling yourself into thinking you were actually sold on the winning side in hindsight. I'm sloooooowwwwwly getting better at that. Thanks C-MAN

I don't tally your post, but read them all. Seems like you had a great bowl run. Even your reasoning on layoffs were pretty much spot on. Great reads as always Brass.

I don't tally your post, but read them all. Seems like you had a great bowl run. Even your reasoning on layoffs were pretty much spot on. Great reads as always Brass.
Thanks BBF. I keep a running total on the plays on the first post of the thread back on page 1 so I can keep track. Ended up 13-6 on the bowls,. I'll probably cut and paste it back here when I get some time to do a wrap up. Traveling back home today. Thanks for the nice sentiment.

Ended up with a very good run in the bowls, 13-6. It was a lot of fun and I can't say thanks enough to everyone that contributed to the thread. That's what makes it so fun for me. Hopefully next year I'll show good restraint and be a little more prudent on plays.

A lesson learned: I was 9-0 when I played dogs, and 4-6 when I played favorites. This year was a little bt of an outlier, but it's never a good idea to be favorite dependent in the bowls.

Final Record 13-6

Troy +1.5, +3 WIN
Fresno State -3.5 WIN
BYU +4.5 WIN
Eastern Michigan +4 WIN
Liberty +3.5 WIN
South Alabama -4 LOSS
Air Force +4.5 WIN
San Diego State -6.5 LOSS
Duke -3 WIN
Kansas +2.5 WIN
Oregon -13 LOSS
Florida State -9.5 LOSS
Washington +3 WIN
UCLA -7.5. LOSS
Ohio ML WIN
Iowa ML (-130) WIN
TCU +8 WIN
Georgia -5.5 LOSS
Tulane +2. WIN

As for the title game, I am going to be taking the points with TCU but I'm not going to be making it an official write up because I haven't gotten a Georgia game right all year, regardless of which side I've been on. I'm waiting because I think the line is going to grow a bit more, especially if it comes out that Kendre Miller is out. For the record, I like DeMercado quite a bit, so I think TCU can withstand Miller's loss if it comes to that. I've also been wrong on pretty much every championship game over the past several years, so I'm just going to recommend that everyone enjoy the game. I'll be rooting for TCU, but there probably isn't an outcome that would greatly surprise me in this one. Take care everyone!

Back