Big Ten Bowl Thread...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Well, we have a lot of bowl games and I am sure a lot of questions. Lets get some good discussion going.

Fwiw, I have the over in Citrus Bowl very large (as stated before, during and after the selection). I thought we would see a 59 opener and was absolutely shocked to be honest. I have this game easily in the 60's. Other than that I most of my bets will be of the live, tt and halftime variety.

Matchups:

12/27 Michigan State vs Wake Forest @Yankee Stadium

12/27 Iowa vs USC @ San Diego

12/28 Penn State vs Memphis @JerryWorld

12/28 Ohio State vs Clemson @Glendale

12/30 Illinois vs California @Santa Clara

1/1 Minnesota vs Auburn @Tampa

1/1 Michigan vs Alabama @Orlando

1/1 Wisconsin vs Oregon @RoseBowl

1/2 Indiana vs Tennessee @Birmingham

Few quick Citrus Bowl Notes:

-Alabama Lewis and Diggs will be sitting out per @gps_3 (and confirmed since)
-Michigan players expect that everyone that is healthy is playing
-Carlo Kemp is banged up, no idea what.
-Brad Hawkins also banged up
-Tarik Black entered the portal, thank goodness(feel for him with injuries but when you don't play hard--see ya).

I was surprised to see Michigan State is favored.

Do we know if Wake has WR Scotty Washington back?

I am curious as to the mindset of Penn State tomorrow. I have no idea.

I can see Memphis being more motivated but tough to cap motivation in bowls anymore.

I am curious as to the mindset of Penn State tomorrow. I have no idea.

I can see Memphis being more motivated but tough to cap motivation in bowls anymore.

I’d agree. From a motivational angle I’d think Memphis would be more likely to get up for playing psu than the other way around

I looked up one thing that I thought could be telling to motivation. No penn st players are sitting out the bowl game. Hope that means they’re motivated, but who knows.

I feel like Franklin is one of the guys that can always motivate his team. I’m holding a Memphis card since I always default to G5 teams in “meaningless” bowl games vs P5, but I’m starting to question it

I feel like Franklin is one of the guys that can always motivate his team. I’m holding a Memphis card since I always default to G5 teams in “meaningless” bowl games vs P5, but I’m starting to question it
UCF last year

The Cotton Bowl Classic takes place at AT&T Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys. Memphis finished the season with eight straight wins, including a 29-24 win over Cincinnati to win the conference championship (but failing to cover as 9-point dogs). Memphis went 7-5-1 ATS on the season, averaging 40.54 PPG on offense and giving up 24.38 PPG on defense. Penn State started 8-0 and went just 2-2 in their final games, ending the season with a 27-6 win over Rutgers but failing to cover as 39-point favorites. The Nittany Lions went 6-6 ATS, averaging 34.33 PPG on offense and giving up only 14.08 PPG on defense.

The line opened with Penn State listed as a 7.5-point favorite. Despite roughly three-out-of-four bets laying the points with the Nittany Lions, the line has fallen down to 7 or even 6.5 at some books. This signals sharp reverse line movement on Memphis with pros grabbing the points, not laying them. When two ranked teams go head-to-head in a bowl game, the dog has gone 69-57 ATS (55%) since 2005.

Cal and Illinois on Monday ... Good season for Lovie as they seemingly got better and better..mostly in middle of the season ... I'll admit I have no cap on this game and won't be watching.

I'll talk the 3 Wednesday games tomorrow night. All are very interesting. Only pregame bets are still positions on over in Citrus.

I’m fairly certain it’s not an illegal touchdown making machine.

Probably something from the training staff in regards to injury prevention. Nobody would want to actually run with that thing on their ankle.

I’m fairly certain it’s not an illegal touchdown making machine.

Probably something from the training staff in regards to injury prevention. Nobody would want to actually run with that thing on their ankle.
Obviously the joke is that it's a tether. I think a plausible explanation is that it's something for his knee that slid down? But ..there are like 5 different pictures of this thing during the game. Odd.

Probably on house arrest but got the ok to play. Po said its OK, you can play in the bowl.

Alright, lets talk Citrus Bowl.

I have waited to post about this in full because of injuries and sitting out. I think everything is clear now. The last detail for Michigan came out on Sunday as Dwumfour had surgery and is out. He was playing through something all year.

I already told ya I have a lot tied to the over...at various numbers. It is 58 right now...I still recommend that as at least a medium play.

Obviously this is an interesting game that ESPN/Disney really wanted to make happen for ratings. I cannot imagine many will be watching Auburn and Minnesota in the same time slot on New Years Day. Wuth 3 losses, I do think this game is a bit above where Michigan should be but they bring ratings that only 4-5 other schools can so they will get the nod in that regard. Jim wanted this match up as well. I give him credit, he wants the kids to go out and face very good teams and see where they are at. In retrospect, facing a team like UK or Tenny would most likely be an easy win but who cares? Bowls are exhibitions. Michigan hasn't cared about a bowl game in the last few years so hopefully this gets their attention and they go out and play well. On the other side, obviously this is a step down to play in Orlando for the Tide as they are generally in the hunt to win it all. I think with so many guys not sitting out that they are here to show something as well.

The biggest key in this game...

Michigan DL vs Alabama OL.

This Michigan DL has played better in the second half of the year but the fact is they are not big. With Mike out, it is even worse. I hope they let the freshman Hinton and Smith play a lot here as they need to be big contributors next year. Both are future stars. Hinton came on at the end and Mazi just needs to work on his stamina and consistency. In general though we saw what OSU with a big O-Line did against this front and that sets everything up. If Alabama goes with a heavy Najee game plan they should feast and set up big plays in the passing game.

How do I see this playing out?

I said before I see a shootout. Michigan over the last half of the year was inside the top 10 in offensive eff. It took awhile for them to gel and some tweeks to the Gattis system as well. It started to get pretty after the halftime in Happy Valley. Shea played really well and if the receivers catch balls the sky is the limit. They left a lot of the board vs Ohio State in a game that could have ended something like 55-41. I have watched a lot of Alabama this year and as GPS will tell ya the injuries on defense hurt. Live overs in the middle of the season were so terrific there for a bit. They have loads of talent but just are not a good Alabama defense (they obv have a high standard). On the other side, Alabama will score and their receivers will have fun as well. Don Brown leaves his guys on islands so it most likely not gonna be pretty. This should be a fun game overall.

Why is this line not moving?

Like, I feel like I haven't heard a word about anyone betting Michigan and I understand that totally. This thing is stuck on 7 and not budging. I get that is a key number but key numbers do not have as much significance as they have in the past(imo).

Recommendations:

Over
Mich TT
Bama TT
Bama -7

In that order...

I am on over and will be on the tt for mich and will live bet the rest...

If Alabama wants to play a clock control game and run 40 times, that could scare this into an under. Another thing I was thinking here today is that the Tide saw what a team they think they are equal to did on Saturday and might want to put on a show... We shall see.

Final score, Alabama 47-Michigan 38

I know there will be one obv question out of that and I will answer when it is asked. Any other thoughts or questions, let me know. Michigan is good for 28-38 I'd say and 42 if they really attack and catch the passes thrown to them. We shall see...

One really good thing is NO TARIK BLACK. He has went into the portal and was a cancer all year. You all saw him half ass it in the OSU game. It is too bad his career got derailed by injuries but you still gotta go out and play.

I have waited to post about this in full because of injuries and sitting out. I think everything is clear now. The last detail for Michigan came out on Sunday as Dwumfour had surgery and is out. He was playing through something all year.

I already told ya I have a lot tied to the over...at various numbers. It is 58 right now...I still recommend that as at least a medium play.

Obviously this is an interesting game that ESPN/Disney really wanted to make happen for ratings. I cannot imagine many will be watching Auburn and Minnesota in the same time slot on New Years Day. Wuth 3 losses, I do think this game is a bit above where Michigan should be but they bring ratings that only 4-5 other schools can so they will get the nod in that regard. Jim wanted this match up as well. I give him credit, he wants the kids to go out and face very good teams and see where they are at. In retrospect, facing a team like UK or Tenny would most likely be an easy win but who cares? Bowls are exhibitions. Michigan hasn't cared about a bowl game in the last few years so hopefully this gets their attention and they go out and play well. On the other side, obviously this is a step down to play in Orlando for the Tide as they are generally in the hunt to win it all. I think with so many guys not sitting out that they are here to show something as well.

This Michigan DL has played better in the second half of the year but the fact is they are not big. With Mike out, it is even worse. I hope they let the freshman Hinton and Smith play a lot here as they need to be big contributors next year. Both are future stars. Hinton came on at the end and Mazi just needs to work on his stamina and consistency. In general though we saw what OSU with a big O-Line did against this front and that sets everything up. If Alabama goes with a heavy Najee game plan they should feast and set up big plays in the passing game.

I said before I see a shootout. Michigan over the last half of the year was inside the top 10 in offensive eff. It took awhile for them to gel and some tweeks to the Gattis system as well. It started to get pretty after the halftime in Happy Valley. Shea played really well and if the receivers catch balls the sky is the limit. They left a lot of the board vs Ohio State in a game that could have ended something like 55-41. I have watched a lot of Alabama this year and as GPS will tell ya the injuries on defense hurt. Live overs in the middle of the season were so terrific there for a bit. They have loads of talent but just are not a good Alabama defense (they obv have a high standard). On the other side, Alabama will score and their receivers will have fun as well. Don Brown leaves his guys on islands so it most likely not gonna be pretty. This should be a fun game overall.

Like, I feel like I haven't heard a word about anyone betting Michigan and I understand that totally. This thing is stuck on 7 and not budging. I get that is a key number but key numbers do not have as much significance as they have in the past(imo).

Recommendations:

Over
Mich TT
Bama TT
Bama -7

In that order...

If Alabama wants to play a clock control game and run 40 times, that could scare this into an under. Another thing I was thinking here today is that the Tide saw what a team they think they are equal to did on Saturday and might want to put on a show... We shall see.

Not sure I see Michigan putting up 38 points against Bama. I can see 17-20 at most. Offense is horrid.

Not sure I see Michigan putting up 38 points against Bama. I can see 17-20 at most. Offense is horrid.
Please explain how the offense is horrid?

Understandably it was very up and down for the first 7 weeks or so. They still were rated very high the last several weeks and finished at a respectable number for the season (I think 20 or so in S&P).

After the PSU game the lowest output was 27 and that's a game they easily could of had 40.

I love to discuss different things in case angles are being missed.

Realistically, I only need them to get to mid twenties and everything else should be gravy. That is most definitely doable. If the Bama defense steps up and plays great, then hats off.

:shake:

Recommendations:

Over
Mich TT
Bama TT
Bama -7

In that order...

good luck...fairly large on the Over too

Recommendations:

Over
Mich TT
Bama TT
Bama -7

In that order...

BAR, What did you get your overs at? I'm thinking of buying it down a few. GL!

It's 58 as of last night, that's playable. The openers of 54/54.5 were a joke. Anything south of 60 is fine IMO.

Recommendations:

Over
Mich TT
Bama TT
Bama -7

In that order...

Well I guess I will be the first one to admit that I bet on Michigan.

Love how they show the same angle replay 100x when on the first look it was clear you couldn’t see anything

It should be interesting what happens with Michigan, Wisky, and Minnesota. One of the big 10's top 4 has an L already.

I don't know how Minnesota can sustain drives against that Auburn defense. I know Coe is out but not certain anyone else

Minnesota feels like Utah. I know they are dogs instead of favs but they are a team that kind of came from nowhere, had a wildly expectation breaking year and had huge hopes only to suffer a brutal loss at the end. Feels like they have peaked. Auburn has an NFL secondary and DL. Minny gives up a ton of sacks. I think we see major disruption in the passing game. Also really like that not a single guy is sitting out for Auburn and their SR leaders Brown and Davidson on the DL are making it a point to have one big last game together. Meanwhile Minny best LB is sitting out. Honestly think the month of practice with a healthy WR corps does wonders for Nix too. Expecting Auburn to win big time today.

Minnesota feels like Utah. I know they are dogs instead of favs but they are a team that kind of came from nowhere, had a wildly expectation breaking year and had huge hopes only to suffer a brutal loss at the end. Feels like they have peaked. Auburn has an NFL secondary and DL. Minny gives up a ton of sacks. I think we see major disruption in the passing game. Also really like that not a single guy is sitting out for Auburn and their SR leaders Brown and Davidson on the DL are making it a point to have one big last game together. Meanwhile Minny best LB is sitting out. Honestly think the month of practice with a healthy WR corps does wonders for Nix too. Expecting Auburn to win big time today.
Good thoughts here and kinda where I was leaning now. I do have them in an open ML parlay. May throw them in one more.

Utah was the classic no show after missing out on a playoff spot following the loss to Oregon. With that thought in mind I look at Alabama as a great comparison to Utah. They expected another playoff and are now playing in a meaningless game.

Michigan on the other hand desperately needs a signature win for Harbaugh and will be totally ready for this one. Michigan wins today.

I don't know how Minnesota can sustain drives against that Auburn defense. I know Coe is out but not certain anyone else
They can hit big passes if they can protect.
Do you guys feel like Gophers should be getting more than a TD here? They lost their OC. The o-line is not 100% with tight end Paulson declared out and Daniel Faalele listed as a GTD. Meanwhile, Auburn seniors are being vocal about looking to finish their careers strong with nobody sitting out. The pros (Dunkel/Sagarin) have this line closer to double digits. Is the short line simply a result of the letdown spot after beating Bama .. in addition to the reputation of the SEC (especially Auburn) already being known for not showing up to these types of games in the postseason? I am trying to justify the line being "only" a touchdown instead of double digits..

Do you guys feel like Gophers should be getting more than a TD here? They lost their OC. The o-line is not 100% with tight end Paulson declared out and Daniel Faalele listed as a GTD. Meanwhile, Auburn seniors are being vocal about looking to finish their careers strong with nobody sitting out. The pros (Dunkel/Sagarin) have this line closer to double digits. Is the short line simply a result of the letdown spot after beating Bama .. in addition to the reputation of the SEC (especially Auburn) already being known for not showing up to these types of games in the postseason? I am trying to justify the line being "only" a touchdown instead of double digits..

Don't worry about the line...go with your gut....it's a neutral field...about right.

Auburn down to 6.5. These games are fascinating today. Could make a case for either side in all 4 really.

Back