Assuming tOSU, LSU, CLEM all make it..... Who is your 4th team that MAKES it in?

Are we talking about TCU beating a 2 win team to close out their season, while tOSU handed a quality opponent an ass whooping? Difference here is Oregon is a quality opponent. Not a scrub. Utah wins and they are in the 4 spot.

We can simply agree to disagree, as I have no desire to debate an OU fanboy on why his favorite team will not make the final-4 if Utah wins (by1 or as many as you want) the PAC.

I'm a sooner fan but very objective trust me. We aren't that deserving but if we talk about how bad our OOC is we have to discuss utah's OOC also. And the pac 12 south is gross. We beat 3 top 25 teams while they only beat one.

TOSU is out. If you cannot win your conference, you cannot be in the playoff. That should be a stated rule.

If I could scream from the mountain tops to the entire world that this is 1000% incorrect, then I would.

Things are not symmetrical across college football conferences and divisions. Let's assume the following unlikely event were to happen:

Virginia beats clemson by some fluke.
Oregon beats utah.
Wisconsin beats ohio state by fluke.
Baylor beats oklahoma
Georgia beats LSU.

Two flukes and three other possibilities with better chances than the average joe might think.

Are you honestly gona choose your "top 4 teams" from:

Virginia (3 losses)
Oregon (2 losses)
Wisky (2 blowout losses)
Baylor
Georgia

???

You're gona toss Clemson, ohio state. And LSU to the side (all with one loss) just based on one bad flukey game out of 13 games?

This is seriously crazy to consider.

Its the four best teams. The four best. Sometimes two of the four might reside in the same conference or even the same division !!! (Alabama and LSU come to mind).

2 of the 20 teams who made the CFP the last 5 years did NOT win their conference.

Bravo to the CFP committee those 2 seasons for picking the best teams to make it, regardless of conf title.

I already answered it brotha. Utah.

What I mean is that it doesn't matter who we think would beat who by how much. That just doesn't matter. And as up and down as OUr D is in norman, I guarantee we can run with LSU and match point for point.

Only ohio state and probably clemson scare me as a sooner fan. LSU? weak D in big moments. Georgia? O disappears against tough teams. Utah? When they played capable teams on the road (usc and washington) you saw what happened.

If I could scream from the mountain tops to the entire world that this is 1000% incorrect, then I would.

Things are not symmetrical across college football conferences and divisions. Let's assume the following unlikely event were to happen:

Virginia beats clemson by some fluke.
Oregon beats utah.
Wisconsin beats ohio state by fluke.
Baylor beats oklahoma
Georgia beats LSU.

Two flukes and three other possibilities with better chances than the average joe might think.

Are you honestly gona choose your "top 4 teams" from:

Virginia (3 losses)
Oregon (2 losses)
Wisky (2 blowout losses)
Baylor
Georgia

???

You're gona toss Clemson, ohio state. And LSU to the side (all with one loss) just based on one bad flukey game out of 13 games?

This is seriously crazy to consider.

Its the four best teams. The four best. Sometimes two of the four might reside in the same conference or even the same division !!! (Alabama and LSU come to mind).

2 of the 20 teams who made the CFP the last 5 years did NOT win their conference.

Bravo to the CFP committee those 2 seasons for picking the best teams to make it, regardless of conf title.
Just take away conference championship games then.

Can't. They are money makers.

But they can be mutually exclusive from the CFP top 4 selection process.
Ok pick the 4 teams for playoff tonight then go play the conference championship games. Easy solution.

What I mean is that it doesn't matter who we think would beat who by how much. That just doesn't matter. And as up and down as OUr D is in norman, I guarantee we can run with LSU and match point for point.

Only ohio state and probably clemson scare me as a sooner fan. LSU? weak D in big moments. Georgia? O disappears against tough teams. Utah? When they played capable teams on the road (usc and washington) you saw what happened.

I get it man. It's an eye test too. It's a great debate, and what makes this sport so awesome.

They played USC without Moss and Huntley for over a half.

As for as your fluke upset scenarios, I too think winning your conference should mean something. You were pointing out some 2 and 3 loss teams....how many times have wild cards won it all in pro sports? Look at the NCAA tourney and all of the upsets. I think college football would benefit greatly from 5 conference winners and 1 or 3 wild cards(tbd) and let it work itself out on the field.

Ohio St/LSU both in win or lose. Clemson in with win. Georgia beats LSU they are 4th team. If LSU wins Oklahoma beats Baylor they are 4th if lose Utah in with win

I wonder if there’s some CFP Oklahoma fatigue. For me there is, they’re pretty much a poor man’s version of the past few OU teams

Be hilarious if lsu and Ohio lose. I give Wisconsin about as much of a shot as nw had last year. Only way it happens is if Ohio just completely mails it in. Seems unlikely.

I know it's not supposed to matter, but I wonder if the fact that the Big 12 (OU) is 0-3 in playoff games will have an impact, especially when this seems to be the worst of those 3 OU teams
Even the PAC has a win:

5-2 Clemson
6-3 Alabama
2-1 Ohio State
1-1 Oregon
1-1 Georgia
0-1 Mich State
0-1 Wash
0-1 FSU
0-1 Notre Dame
0-3 Oklahoma

Someone in here or another thread said that Huntley and moss both missed an entire half vs SC.

Incorrect.

Huntley played the whole game. Moss had 6 totes for 20 yds. But at least Huntley was in there the entire game.

Their D gave up 30 pts to a 3rd string qb named matt "stinks" fink. No offense to the kid but out here in LA we know he's no good. However, he beat Utah and he can remember that forever.

This is about money. Utah can win by 20 and OU can beat Baylor by 7 and Sooners are getting in. Doesn't matter that OU struggled vs. TCU who missed a bowl, or Iowa State was a deuce conversion away from winning or that Kansas State pushed OU's shit in basically the entire game.

This is about MONEY. People will watch Oklahoma lose by 21 to OSU. That will get better ratings. I honestly and truly believe Utah has no shot at all. This is a rigged deck that college football is playing with...always has been. And if it weren't for Bama getting that 2nd loss, they'd have been in too.

All OU needs to do is win. Everything else is unimportant. In fact, I wouldn't be 100% shocked if OU jumps Utah tonight just so we can all see how they just want a brand name Sooners team in the playoff to lose again in the semifinal. Just the way the cookie crumbles.

I think the tin foil hat wearing is going too far. If the committee wanted OU in over utah they could've had them flip flopped right now and cited the SOS based on conference. Has anyone looked at the pac 12 south lately?

Zona. Asu. UCLA. Colorado. Avg to.below avg teams. One of the worst divisions in all of CFB in 2019. USC loses their starting qb in the first half of game 1 yet they finish second in the pac 12 south. They had more injuries than maybe anyone in America but up until last sat could have won their division.

Unbelievable.

Tonight I fully expect 5 utah, 6 okla, 7 baylor.

Then some of you can put down the tin foil hat until Sunday.

They played USC without Moss and Huntley for over a half.

As for as your fluke upset scenarios, I too think winning your conference should mean something. You were pointing out some 2 and 3 loss teams....how many times have wild cards won it all in pro sports? Look at the NCAA tourney and all of the upsets. I think college football would benefit greatly from 5 conference winners and 1 or 3 wild cards(tbd) and let it work itself out on the field.

Huntley played the entire game vs USC. the utes D let them down. Gave up 30 pts to a 3rd string qb named matt "stinks" fink.

Oh, we both have biases, majent....no question. You're a diehard Sooner guy and I'm a Utah alum. You're getting into the tournament because Oklahoma is on the front of the jersey....Baylor wins this game and Utah gets in because this is about TV ratings.

The NCAA is as corrupt as the mob. They make up the rules as they go. And they already set this up by jumping Baylor 5 spots and dropping Oregon 8 spots last week.

This committee and the NCAA is a fucking joke. Georgia (who loses to a 4-8 SC team at home) but is in the SEC didn't even fall out of the top 10 after losing the worst game of anyone this season. Why? Because the SEC gets special treatment because they are in bed with the TV networks.

It's all about television and money. I truly believe Baylor has ZERO chance of getting in, even if Utah and OU lose. OU just has to win. You're in the driver's seat, relax my friend.

Few things:

If Utah wins, they are in. I firmly believe this to be true. I can’t see it any other way unless UGA pulls it off.

Is Matt Rhule getting any run for coach of the year? Pretty nice job in Waco with the deck stacked against says me

Scarf
I think Georgia stayed in the top 10 after losing to socaro because they had already beaten then #7 notre dame before that. Also, when socaro beat them their sched went to 3-3. The loss did not look *as bad* then.

Also, if we're going to look at losses then we have to look at wins also, no? Georgia has impressive wins beating ND, florida big, and Auburn on thr road. I'm ok with Georgia being where they are.

Believe me when I tell you that my fam and friends routinely point out that I'm a fair and objective sooner fan. It's because I love college football.

I'm ok with utah being ahead of the sooners based on game control index and margin of victory. But anyone being fair cannot tell me the ute sched lines up w Oklahoma's.

The pac 12 south might be the worst division in all of CFB this year. Utah OOC not great either but it's not their fault byu is average. Just like it's not OUs fault that UCLA and houston stink this year. When they signed to play, those schools were winning 8-9 games per year.

Few things:

If Utah wins, they are in. I firmly believe this to be true. I can’t see it any other way unless UGA pulls it off.

Is Matt Rhule getting any run for coach of the year? Pretty nice job in Waco with the deck stacked against says me

If they win sloppy but oklahoma blows out baylor, the committee can say that Utah finally played someone strong but couldn't get the margin while oklahoma played the #7 ranked team and blew them out.

See 2014 tcu and ohio state.

I dont think we'll really know everything until Sunday night.

I think Oregon deserved a big drop after losing to a slightly above average ASU squad as nearly a 2 td fave.

Scarf
I think Georgia stayed in the top 10 after losing to socaro because they had already beaten then #7 notre dame before that. Also, when socaro beat them their sched went to 3-3. The loss did not look *as bad* then.

Also, if we're going to look at losses then we have to look at wins also, no? Georgia has impressive wins beating ND, florida big, and Auburn on thr road. I'm ok with Georgia being where they are.

Believe me when I tell you that my fam and friends routinely point out that I'm a fair and objective sooner fan. It's because I love college football.

I'm ok with utah being ahead of the sooners based on game control index and margin of victory. But anyone being fair cannot tell me the ute sched lines up w Oklahoma's.

The pac 12 south might be the worst division in all of CFB this year. Utah OOC not great either but it's not their fault byu is average. Just like it's not OUs fault that UCLA and houston stink this year. When they signed to play, those schools were winning 8-9 games per year.
@majent

Oh, I know you're a long-timer here and a good CFB fan and loyal to your Sooners. My argument is not with you, it's with the system and the process. In fact, I agree with you in a lot of aspects. Especially Utah's schedule not lining up with Oklahoma's. But the "issue" here comes with what does this committee care about more than anything? Money...TV ratings...fairness is definitely not atop of that list.

So let's play devil's advocate for a second...which is more appealing to an average CFB fan...a team that is historically great with a GENIUS head coach who is the next face of CFB if he wants with a brilliant offensive mind...leading a team who everyone knows?

OR

A team in the least populated time zone in the country, with a coach that IMO is the most underrated coach in the country, who plays in a conference with horrible leadership, and whose cores are based upon smashmouth-defense and physical football.

I think America wants Oklahoma over Utah personally. And if the 2 had a "play-in" game, I think it would be lined as a pick 'em or one as a point or two fave".

So while Oklahoma may get credit for having the tougher schedule, do they get "hurt" by having to hold off an ISU 2-pt attempt at home to win? Or only beating TCU by 4 at home?

Flip the coin and Utah is dominating competition in almost every game they've won and went to Washington and won in a place they never play well.

It really is a fascinating debate whether OU should be punished for closer wins against better competition or whether Utah should get credit more for smashing the nobodies on their schedule.

Either way its a fun argument and I think we both are trying to be fair in our assessments...but nothing wrong with a little loyalty (from both of us) either.

:cheers3:

Cheers Mate. Each side Utah and OU can point to things in their favor. I think it's one of the most fascinating comparisons we've had in the 6 years of the CFP.

I think utah has an argument in that they might be unfairly punished by their weak division in the p12 south, while OU might be getting punished for not winning "pretty". Some of these games have probably taken months perhaps years off my life.

Who do I think is better from top to bottom? Slight edge to Utah on a neutral, based on D. And I've actually admired what Whitt has done there for many years. Great coach. Absolutely great coach.

But I always maintain that it shouldn't matter who we think we would win between two teams (that's so subjective). It should come down to analyzing the results on the field, throwing them into the hopper, and then making our decision based on all of that data.

Based on what I've seen, I'd keep Utah 1 spot ahead of OU in tonight's ranking.

*** so tough to beat a good team twice in one season. I hate that OU has to play baylor again after those dudes dominated is for 55-60% of the last game.

Good points on Georgia. The playoff top 25 wasn’t even being produced when they lost to South Carolina so they didn’t “remain” there, and as majent pointed out the committee apparently places a lot of value on their wins.

On TCU/Ohio State in 2014, along with their respective wins in the last week, OSU became a conference champ while the Big 12 had the “one true champion” Baylor/TCU farce. So the resumes technically changed a little as well.

I hope and think Utah will get in. They look better than the Big 12 teams to me and they would both be a conference champ.

Maj here. Can't log in under my old acct because I cant remember the email I used for that acct so I can't reset my pw lol

Utah is at #5. I hope the naysayers and conspiracy theorists can take a breather because the committee is setting up utah very nicely.

Then again, Oregon might notice the obvious that they have a shot to play a real spoiler on fri night by keeping utah from the top 4.

Teams absolutely love playing spoiler.

For those keeping track of the SEC conspiracy, Alabama dropped 7 spots this week while Michigan and Cincinnati dropped 1 each.

For those keeping track of the SEC conspiracy, Alabama dropped 7 spots this week while Michigan and Cincinnati dropped 1 each.

Wisconsin also highest 2 loss team in the strength of their “close loss to Illinois.”

Off top 4 topic but with the new rankings, Bama is currently out of a New Years Six bowl game and looking the Citrus Bowl?

Off top 4 topic but with the new rankings, Bama is currently out of a New Years Six bowl game and looking the Citrus Bowl?

Yep. It’ll probably be a much better matchup than what we were expecting. Wasn’t too gassed about playing UVA in Orange or G5 winner in Cotton. Could be Alabama vs Michigan now

Ohio State beats Wisconsin, LSU beats Georgia, Oklahoma beats Baylor, Utah Beats Oregon and Clemson beats Little Sisters of the Poor.

You have...
Ohio State
LSU
Clemson
Oklahoma

Yep. It’ll probably be a much better matchup than what we were expecting. Wasn’t too gassed about playing UVA in Orange or G5 winner in Cotton. Could be Alabama vs Michigan now

We all know Michigan can't win a bowl game so congrats on the bowl win!

Ohio State beats Wisconsin, LSU beats Georgia, Oklahoma beats Baylor, Utah Beats Oregon and Clemson beats Little Sisters of the Poor.

You have...
Ohio State
LSU
Clemson
Oklahoma
Oklahoma beat ranked OSU and didn't jump Utah after they beat the little sisters of the poor last week. If OU was going to jump Utah with both winning I would have thought it would have happened tonight. I think Utah's in if they win and UGA doesn't upset LSU. Just my .02.

OU has the win over Baylor and OSU and still behind Utah. Can't see them jumping Utah this week. Think the committee is clear they value Utah more than OU and if it changes this Sunday, it's because of the name on the front of the jersey.

OU has the win over Baylor and OSU and still behind Utah. Can't see them jumping Utah this week. Think the committee is clear they value Utah more than OU and if it changes this Sunday, it's because of the name on the front of the jersey.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. That being said, Utah could drop this game and it's a moot point. :(

Oklahoma beat ranked OSU and didn't jump Utah after they beat the little sisters of the poor last week. If OU was going to jump Utah with both winning I would have thought it would have happened tonight. I think Utah's in if they win and UGA doesn't upset LSU. Just my .02.

you are looking at it with red colored utah utes lenses on.

you won by 30 over colorado. the committee could not punish you for that. OU beat ok state by 18 in a ho hum game. ok state is ranked in the 20s, it's not like they are a top team.

the margin might be razor thin. rob mullens is not giving anything away.

if the utes beat oregon by single digits in a sloppy game, and the sooners wax baylor by 20+, then the sooners will jump the utes. just watch.

that was a come from behind win a month ago, and an eventual win by 3.

as i said above, if utah wins a close sloppily played game vs #13 oregon on friday, and then oklahoma thrashes #7 baylor by 20+ on saturday morning, do not be surprised one bit if oklahoma jumps them for that 4th spot.

the committee's job is to reshuffle the deck every week with the new info they have so this final game will matter. it has to. utah plays #13 and OU plays #7. these games matter.

if i'm the Utes i leave nothing to chance. go out and crush oregon or risk having to sleep friday night wondering what the sooners can and might do to show up your sloppy win the night before.

hopefully folks can put down the tin foil hats for a while. it gets annoying after a while and i am not even an SEC fan lol

Is the part where I said Utah could lose red colored glasses?

no, you are making too much of this week's rankings after you beat CU by 30 and OU beat ok st by 18, and you are thinking that since OU did not jump them that maybe it won't happen. you're trying to make yourself feel better. trust me.

OU plays #7 this week and if they throttle #7 then look out. that's all i am saying. this saturday's game vs baylor has much higher implications than the game did vs ok state.

it looks pretty damn good to a resume if you hammer the #7 team.

and if i'm the committee, i have to be thinking to myself that it is tough to beat a really good team twice in one season so if OU goes out and smashes Baylor on saturday morning, that has to count for something in a true football mind's eye.

:fistshake:

I think back to the first year and I never thought that they would take OSU at number 4, so what do I know.

I think if both Utah and Oklahoma win I feel like all of a sudden they will give more weight to the win over a #7 Baylor (with then 2 losses) than a #12 Oregon (with then 3 losses).

Plus... it's hard to beat the same team twice in a season and I think they take that into consideration.

Majent I don’t see Okie gettin in......of Bama was in LSU’s spot tho.......I see the money grab FOR SURE

Okie ain’t got the right dancing partner

Back