Another scandal on Draft Kings. I'm shocked, shocked!

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
I guess the pubic is never going to understand that the way on-line fantasy contests for money are set up ensures scandals and cheating, while the way betting is done at sports books ensures the public will know instantly of any scandal.

This week it was some reality "star" and his girlfriend who are charged with collusion after they won the $1 million prize.

I play hoops every Monday with a group of option traders who play on Draft Kings all the time and they tell me anyone is a fool who plays those fantasy contests; They only play using complex computer programs and metrics to make the maximum number of picks in collusion with others who are doing the same. And they still worry because they know employees of the company are constantly coming up with new insider schemes to beat them and steal the money they are trying to steal.

Here's the story

if The winner wasn’t “famous” do they get caught ?

this probably happens all the time

if The winner wasn’t “famous” do they get caught ?

this probably happens all the time
Bingo

These two brain surgeons used their own names for monikers and had no problem admitting they won on SM.

Then the one friend congratulated the guy (who obviously made all the picks).

She also tweeted out that he said to not start Metcalf, when he had started him in at least 78% of the lineups.

This definitely happens a lot, it just took these two being very sloppy for it to become an issue.

No way they can prove this though, right? I mean - in the absence of an admission - they have to pay the prize.

No way they can prove this though, right? I mean - in the absence of an admission - they have to pay the prize.
If you look at how they played the QBs, it's clear as day. With that being said, they will keep the money (IMO). It's great advertising as is... They have to do due diligence to satisfy others but it the end nothing comes of it ...

I have no idea what they are supposed to have done. How does this work?

For the milly maker there are a max amount of submissions per account

They doubled it by conspiring which players to take/avoid so there would be no overlap, giving themselves a higher chance of winning

Bingo

These two brain surgeons used their own names for monikers and had no problem admitting they won on SM.

Then the one friend congratulated the guy (who obviously made all the picks).

She also tweeted out that he said to not start Metcalf, when he had started him in at least 78% of the lineups.

This definitely happens a lot, it just took these two being very sloppy for it to become an issue.
Soooooooo dumb by her

Cliff notes on how this is illegal, or how it can be rigged?

There is a max entry limit for each tournament....150 for this. Some are single entry. If you can double your entries it is like taking more pulls at slot machine or buying more powerball tickets. Especially on a small slate with 4 games you can do some damage if you have twice as many lineups as most people.

They probably share an address or legally do so it’s probably against the rules there but agreed very limited advantage to a 2 account team. A 500 account team would crush though. I bet there are plenty of 50+ account teams out there all day every day

There is a max entry limit for each tournament....150 for this. Some are single entry. If you can double your entries it is like taking more pulls at slot machine or buying more powerball tickets. Especially on a small slate with 4 games you can do some damage if you have twice as many lineups as most people.
But don’t you have to pay for each entry? Why is a second (or two hundredth) entry more valuable (more likely to win) than the first)?

But don’t you have to pay for each entry? Why is a second (or two hundredth) entry more valuable (more likely to win) than the first)?
Cause with such a small slate, you can cover more options

They split qbs by day

So more outs means they can get every wr option, rb option, d option etc.

I have no idea what they are supposed to have done. How does this work?

don’t know how they did it........

but read an article few years back where there’s these dudes that writes a coding program to help them select and put in entries in the last minute, we’re talking about 100’s of entries within last few minutes of a contest.....and they always ended up on the Plus side.....the amount of money they put in are huge, but they win all the time......

think they paid $25 bucks per entry with total max of 250 per head, that’s like $7500 per person ......

with that many entries per head, of course it easier to cheat ........

If each entry has the same chance of winning, I still fail to see where the unfair advantage is. Of course, more entries equals a greater chance of winning but not on a per entry basis. It's obviously very bad for the recreational player that pros (whose entries are more likely to have an edge) are going to have multiple entries but it still doesnt strike me as unfair.

Like the article states......they both cross check each other’s plays.....so they don’t have multiple same entries......thus far their chances of winning increases.......it just so happens that the winner was on a tv show before, if it happens to someone regular joes.....shit won’t make the news.....maybe DK wants some free publicity.....who knows?

There's nothing stopping anyone from doing what they did. That's why the rules against it are so silly. They really think they can enforce a rule that says you cant talk about your lineups with your friends or your spouse?

If each entry has the same chance of winning, I still fail to see where the unfair advantage is. Of course, more entries equals a greater chance of winning but not on a per entry basis. It's obviously very bad for the recreational player that pros (whose entries are more likely to have an edge) are going to have multiple entries but it still doesnt strike me as unfair.

I don't think on a regular slate it matters, but on a 4 game slate, where the number of possible team combinations is so much lower, I would venture that if you can collude over the max that each extra entry over a certain amount helps, more than another person's 1 entry, not a huge chance but a small percentage higher

Cause with such a small slate, you can cover more options

They split qbs by day

So more outs means they can get every wr option, rb option, d option etc.
So you get every option. That guarantees that you lose if the house takes a cut. Like putting a chip on every number on the roulette wheel.

Draftkings stock has gone up ~40% since they went public via merger in late December, they’re now valued at ~$5bn inclusive of the sports betting tech company they merged with. They had to nip this in the bud to the extent possible especially ahead of the deal closing.

Back