After 7 Weeks of College Football---What have we learned??

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Obviously will speak about things around here later.

CUM, why so stubborn with JT?

Iowa is gonna go undefeated and be a one-loss team going to bowl season.

Ole Miss got curb-stomped. SEC Myth should be about done one would hope. There really is no super-conference this year.

Utah, great 4th.

Officiating just gets worse and worse, even when you can watch a replay and draw a complete different conclusion than thousands of others.

Baylor gonna Baylor. This team is so much different than previous outfits as far as the 'whole'.

think Iowa will lose to Nebraska the day after Thanksgiving

Nebraska - will provide a solid amount of value to wager on down the stretch, much better than their record shows.

Baylor, Utah, LSU, Ohio St are my top 4

SEC is so far down, after LSU and Bama there isn't much to talk about

Not only is there no power conference, there isn't 1 or 2 standout teams...great year for the final 4 tourne.

NCAA replay officials are brutal...they still seem to get calls wrong even with obvious plays

These targeting penalties are directly affecting multiple games every weekend, get rid of this rule or at least tone it down some how...let em play

I will not watch a game with who ever that female broadcaster is that does BIG10 games, she is dog shit

Last edited:
I want to be Justin Fuentes' agent. Might sign up Tom Herman as a client too.

Two Big 10 teams have been ordinary all year, and are unbeaten. The best team in the conference has 2 losses, both to unbeaten teams. So does Penn State.

Don't trust Aussie punters with the game on the line. Just ask Texas and Michigan

A&M exposed again. But will Alabama be penalised for losing to a 2 loss team at home?

AAC has 3 very good 6-0 teams

@PaulMyerberg: Spartans' TD came at 0:00, meaning Michigan was either tied or ahead for the full 60 minutes of clock in a game that it lost.

Two Big 10 teams have been ordinary all year, and are unbeaten. The best team in the conference has 2 losses, both to unbeaten teams. So does Penn State.

Don't trust Aussie punters with the game on the line. Just ask Texas and Michigan

A&M exposed again. But will Alabama be penalised for losing to a 2 loss team at home?

I think it will be a 3 or 4 loss team by season's end. Luckily for Alabama, there's enough meat on the rest of the schedule, plus the benefit of the doubt from the playoff committee, that if they win out, there's no way they aren't in the top 4

I'm no Iowa fan, but I think they've outperformed expectations pretty drastically. They've been better than ordinary to be fair. I know Wisconsin isn't what they've been, and I know Northwestern is being exposed now, but they still played a couple of really nice games against those two teams. They completely dominated Northwestern yesterday, outgained them by 300+. 492 total yards and 300 on the ground against a top 10 defense. Not saying they're world beaters but i've got to tip my cap to them.

Didn't learn it yesterday, just further confirmation that LSU's biggest issues/questions are on special teams or defense and not the offense or passing game. Florida covered like many predicted, but for none of the expected reasons.

Pat Narduzzi is quitely putting together a strong year at Pitt. He seems to be a great fit for what that program wants and needs.

Doesnt matter that Michigan blew the game. They wouldn't have covered anyway. Michigan State won the cash. Thats all that matters

Doesnt matter that Michigan blew the game. They wouldn't have covered anyway. Michigan State won the cash. Thats all that matters

It matters if you took MSU on the moneyline:-)

I may as well never place a moneyline bet again because I clearly sold my soul to the devil for that one.

I don't think Michigan can be considered better than MSU. Can talk all we want about the last play but they had ten more first downs or something like that? held Michigan to ten first downs? outgained them by a lot? I know Michigan was leading and game managing but hard to say that they were better than Sparty. And I had a Michigan ticket. MSU had some nice catches but some brutal drops as well.

That will go down as one of the most famous endings of all time. I hope friends and family were close to that Michigan kid all night to make sure he wasn't using a chair and borrowing some rope from a neighbor.

The targeting call in that game was just so insane bad that it is hard to believe that it could be perceived the way the official perceived it. That negatively effected Michigan in a big way.

Thought TOSU looked a tad bit better this week and with the black out maybe it was the first time they cared since week 1. Maybe.

Enough with the SEC bologna... Memphis didn't just beat Ole Miss they were the better team yesterday (anyway). Still a great conference but the idea they are head and shoulders above other conferences is funny.

I would make the Alex Smith/CUM version of Utah over a TD favorite against this version of Utah. But hey . they would never have done well in a conference not named the MW. Again .. enough with the conference superiority bullshit that gets proven wrong time after time after time. Can we have the games actually matter more than our opinion?

I don't know how we are going to fix the tackling problem in college football. I don't know what a legal tackle is anymore. I don't know what a late hit is. I don't know what a defenseless player is. I don't know what targeting is. The result is the dink and dunk pass game ... or what I like to call "the least entertaining football in the world to watch". Also ,.... can someone call ineligible man downfield? some of these linemen are 8 yards down field when the qb releases.

Baylor proved something yesterday. Jury was still out on them but if you can do that to WVU then you have done something.

Tubs punted down two scores with four minutes to go. I am just letting you know that he quits. It is important to know.

When Bell is in .. eastern Michigan is gonna score on teams.

LF is the best player in cfb and will be a deserving Heisman but I hope that Ward for Houston gets an invite to New York. He deserves recognition.

Soph QB at WSU is really good. Falk.

BC had a schedule that gave them great defensive stats and their defense IS really good but Clemson did expose them a little bit.

I am thinking about starting a service that would provide coaches seminars on clock management ... It would be a week long seminar where we teach them basic math skills and time management. How many games are lost because coaches don't understand the meaning of "time"?

Urban Meyer just fucking play JT Barrett. Jones has looked like crap every single game this yr. Probably was a reason u had JT as Miller's back up last yr. Barrett had 45 total tds last yr. Makes no sense to me.

Penn state RB Barkley is a stud. Man can he make a guy miss n go upfield. Has some young lesean McCoy in him.
Fuck u Hackenberg, limping around like a little bitch. Over throwing guys that are 10 yrs away from u.

I don't think Michigan can be considered better than MSU. Can talk all we want about the last play but they had ten more first downs or something like that? held Michigan to ten first downs? outgained them by a lot? I know Michigan was leading and game managing but hard to say that they were better than Sparty. And I had a Michigan ticket. MSU had some nice catches but some brutal drops as well.

That will go down as one of the most famous endings of all time. I hope friends and family were close to that Michigan kid all night to make sure he wasn't using a chair and borrowing some rope from a neighbor.

The targeting call in that game was just so insane bad that it is hard to believe that it could be perceived the way the official perceived it. That negatively effected Michigan in a big way.

Thought TOSU looked a tad bit better this week and with the black out maybe it was the first time they cared since week 1. Maybe.

Enough with the SEC bologna... Memphis didn't just beat Ole Miss they were the better team yesterday (anyway). Still a great conference but the idea they are head and shoulders above other conferences is funny.

I would make the Alex Smith/CUM version of Utah over a TD favorite against this version of Utah. But hey . they would never have done well in a conference not named the MW. Again .. enough with the conference superiority bullshit that gets proven wrong time after time after time. Can we have the games actually matter more than our opinion?

I don't know how we are going to fix the tackling problem in college football. I don't know what a legal tackle is anymore. I don't know what a late hit is. I don't know what a defenseless player is. I don't know what targeting is. The result is the dink and dunk pass game ... or what I like to call "the least entertaining football in the world to watch". Also ,.... can someone call ineligible man downfield? some of these linemen are 8 yards down field when the qb releases.

Baylor proved something yesterday. Jury was still out on them but if you can do that to WVU then you have done something.

Tubs punted down two scores with four minutes to go. I am just letting you know that he quits. It is important to know.

LF is the best player in cfb and will be a deserving Heisman but I hope that Ward for Houston gets an invite to New York. He deserves recognition.

BC had a schedule that gave them great defensive stats and their defense IS really good but Clemson did expose them a little bit.

I am thinking about starting a service that would provide coaches seminars on clock management ... It would be a week long seminar where we teach them basic math skills and time management. How many games are lost because coaches don't understand the meaning of "time"?

You could call it the "Formula of Coaching and Clock Managemant!" LOL

Targeting shit must go as well. Take away the giant helmets. Give them a baseball helmet. End of problem.

Is anybody that matters still saying that? The conference was perceived as being down pre-season, then there was a massive overreaction (predictably) after 2 weeks, and now pretty much everyone is saying they are not a clear #1 conference

Is anybody that matters still saying that? The conference was perceived as being down pre-season, then there was a massive overreaction (predictably) after 2 weeks, and now pretty much everyone is saying they are not a clear #1 conference

Ya not really I guess .. but when it starts up again in two years I will laugh at people dumb enough to buy in.

I've thought this since it happened, but Ole Miss beating Alabama by only 6 points despite being +5 in turnovers says more about Ole Miss than Alabama. And whoever Robert Nkemdiche's future/current agent is, should threaten bodily harm to Hugh Freeze if he ever thinks about putting him in on offense again.

True though, ESECPN has yet to start that narrative this year. Pretty impressive.

No clue what they are angling for this year.

I've thought this since it happened, but Ole Miss beating Alabama by only 6 points despite being +5 in turnovers says more about Ole Miss than Alabama. And whoever Robert Nkemdiche's future/current agent is, should threaten bodily harm to Hugh Freeze if he ever thinks about putting him in on offense again.

No doubt. Not just plus five turnovers but the fluke play

True though, ESECPN has yet to start that narrative this year. Pretty impressive.

No clue what they are angling for this year.

ESPN is just as happy and willing to jump on the B1G bandwagon. Pre-2006, it was pretty much the B1G Network. Unsure which horse to hitch their wagon to this year it seems

ESPN is just as happy and willing to jump on the B1G bandwagon. Pre-2006, it was pretty much the B1G Network. Unsure which horse to hitch their wagon to this year it seems

Absolutely. Then the conference got their own channel and ESPN went another way. Much like you barely see hockey highlights on SC. ESPN gonna ESPN.

Only illegal man downfield I've seen called this year was on Alabama on a WR screen pass. Replay showed the OL that was called was almost 2 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. Happened the game after the no call on Ole Miss' guy being 6 yards downfield on the 70+ yard TD pass, so almost seems to be that the SEC office is telling Saban to STFU about complaining about the refs. Haven't paid as much attention to other games, but the officiating in our games has been horrid, even by SEC standards

Gonna start my poll shortly but it seems to be 3 teams for 2 spots...to me...when it is all said and done...Baylor, Bama and OSU(if cum stops being blackmailed or whatever and puts JT in full-time).

Absolutely. Then the conference got their own channel and ESPN went another way. Much like you barely see hockey highlights on SC. ESPN gonna ESPN.

Not a lot of love for the FOX conferences from the worldwide leader

I was pretty impressed with Florida last night. Lot of extra crap going into a game in the most hostile environment in college football against a team with the best player in the game. I don't know exactly how good either team is, but they looked pretty evenly matched to me. Not sure LSU wins that game on a neutral or in the Swamp. Ditto if Grier plays

Yeah, Florida played good despite a distracting week.

LSU defense leaves a lot to be desired though too.

I think it will be a 3 or 4 loss team by season's end. Luckily for Alabama, there's enough meat on the rest of the schedule, plus the benefit of the doubt from the playoff committee, that if they win out, there's no way they aren't in the top 4

yeh, as of today the LSU/Bama winner deerves respect

I'm no Iowa fan, but I think they've outperformed expectations pretty drastically. They've been better than ordinary to be fair. I know Wisconsin isn't what they've been, and I know Northwestern is being exposed now, but they still played a couple of really nice games against those two teams. They completely dominated Northwestern yesterday, outgained them by 300+. 492 total yards and 300 on the ground against a top 10 defense. Not saying they're world beaters but i've got to tip my cap to them.

I was referring to Ohio State and Michigan State. I refuse to accept the fact that a Kirk Ferentz team is 7-0

How can anyone justify Baylor in the top 4? Congrats on working the teams you've played, but you've beaten no one of any substance. You're SOS of 176 is an embarrassment, but typical and representative of your former schedules. Your brother, TCU, is right there with you to a lesser, but still noticeable extent.

Not sure how you can have a SOS of 176 when there are 128 FBS teams; Baylor has covered every one of my numbers and all of LV's numbers except one. Their 644 yards v Kansas (when they took their foot off the pedal) is their lowest output of the year. Granted, their schedule is back loaded but not sure what else they can do to impress people other than what they've done.

Boise St is still the best team in the MWC; that game on Friday was bizarre. Interesting matchup when the Aggies come to San Diego this week in what pits the 2nd and 3rd best teams in the conference. San Diego St is a little underrated right now due to the So Alabama loss, but they are the best team in the Pacific division and them getting points the last two weeks has been a joke.

New Mexico St, North Texas, Old Dominion or Charlotte...your 4 WORST teams, 3 being from CUSA. Not good for that conference.

Congrats to Georgia St for their biggest win to date for that young program.

Clemson continues to impress; didn't like Dabo early on but I have nothing to say now. Clearly a playoff factor when everyone thought the ACC would be an afterthought this year.

Stanford loss in week 1 continues to stupefy me.

L.A. schools...oh boy.

Lousy effort by Washington yesterday; Oregon has now beaten them too many times in a row to count. Perfect set-up at home to get it done yesterday but spit the bit.

Top 4 on resumes and ratings are two different things; can only go by resume though, like CC says, the games have to matter.

Lousy effort by Washington yesterday; Oregon has now beaten them too many times in a row to count. Perfect set-up at home to get it done yesterday but spit the bit.

Vernon the difference last night......I do think UW wins that game 7 out of 10 times, but didn't get it done.

Am happy for vernon though....kid is all world in husky stadium

I don't think many people were watching that '04 team but they were a fucking machine and it started with CUM. That being said, this Utah defense is light years ahead of the '04 version. ASU scored 18 points but 12 were absolutely given to them on ST. Utah is going to be a problem for any team they play from here on out because that front 4 is just nasty and the rest of the D feeds off of them.

There are at least 5 teams that could win the whole enchilada this year and that is what makes this new system great. Before the playoffs we'd still be talking about only two teams that had a shot.

Here is the Lehigh schedule who happen to have a SOS of 64 according to realtimerpi:

at Central Connecticut St
at James Madison
Penn
at Princeton
Yale
at Bucknell
at Fordham
Georgetown
Holy Cross
at Colgate
Lafayette

That schedule constitutes a SOS 112 slots better than the Baylor Bears? I submit your referenced site leaves a lot to be desired when formulating SOS. Shrug...no big deal but I got curious once you posted the link. Lot of strange stuff out there.

I don't think many people were watching that '04 team but they were a fucking machine and it started with CUM. That being said, this Utah defense is light years ahead of the '04 version. ASU scored 18 points but 12 were absolutely given to them on ST. Utah is going to be a problem for any team they play from here on out because that front 4 is just nasty and the rest of the D feeds off of them.

There are at least 5 teams that could win the whole enchilada this year and that is what makes this new system great. Before the playoffs we'd still be talking about only two teams that had a shot.

That team was insane good. Doubt you see the same nfl impact from this utah version either .. imo. No doubt the defense is much better but the offenses are not even in the same galaxy let alone country or state.

If I was on a committee today and someone tried to include bama in the playoff over a team like Memphis I would need to be restrained. Of course, I would make Bama a three or four score favorite to memphis depending on where they were playing but the games have to matter.

Sagarin has Baylor’s SOS at 105. Still pretty bad.

Agree it's not good; it'll get better though. In the meantime, they've done everything they're supposed to do.

Without a Conference Championship game, they definitely need to look into upgrading their non-conference schedule.

Look at CC honk for Memphis...shaping up to be a fun year as we head into the 2nd half of the season.

Look at CC honk for Memphis...shaping up to be a fun year as we head into the 2nd half of the season.

I think they suck, Horses. Not the point ... what I think shouldn't matter vs. what has actually already happened (you know, the factual results).

Baylor's somewhat better defensively. But as long as Briles continues to entrust Phil Bennett with that defense, it's always going to be an issue. Give credit to Briles for being loyal, but he's been missing out for a few years now on a much needed significant upgrade in his DC.

Here is the Lehigh schedule who happen to have a SOS of 64 according to realtimerpi:

at Central Connecticut St
at James Madison
Penn
at Princeton
Yale
at Bucknell
at Fordham
Georgetown
Holy Cross
at Colgate
Lafayette

That schedule constitutes a SOS 112 slots better than the Baylor Bears? I submit your referenced site leaves a lot to be desired when formulating SOS. Shrug...no big deal but I got curious once you posted the link. Lot of strange stuff out there.

lol. this is so typical of trying to debunk a Carolina Guy posting. It's jumped the shark. proof is up above. as if someone elses 105 rating is soooo much better than what I found someone elses SOS rating to be. I declare.

Agree it's not good; it'll get better though. In the meantime, they've done everything they're supposed to do.

Without a Conference Championship game, they definitely need to look into upgrading their non-conference schedule.

because, "they've beaten the number". :shake:

Didn't learn it yesterday, just further confirmation that LSU's biggest issues/questions are on special teams or defense and not the offense or passing game. Florida covered like many predicted, but for none of the expected reasons.

This....MOT if this isn't gonna be our year it will be cuz of our defense....and ST like you said....the assigments are bad....looks like coaching to me

Not B Harris....he is more than capable....kid is all we thought he would be eventually

Back