A look back at Thursday

RetroVK

This claim is disputed
some thoughts on the games thursday night. i don't really have much to say about the D! vs D2 games as they don't tell you much.

lsu @ msu -- First of all, I think phil steele is already penciling in lsu for his TURNOVERS=TURNAROUND GOING DOWN?????? section for next years magazine thanks to henig and 6 interceptados ( a little spanglish to lighten things up). The lsu defensive line is as advertised and completely dominated. this is the main reason that henig threw so poorly as the tigers were able to drop so many back into coverage that receivers were rarely open and henig forced some balls. lsu offense on the road looks pretty similar to the one a year ago... unimaginative and tentative. miles is scared to unleash flynn vs bulldog defense ..... will he let him throw vs hokies ? were they being generic because they could or because they have to ? The final score of last nights game was not indicative of how competitive the game really was. First half bettors on miss st probably took the first bad beat of the cfb season. all in all i was less impressed with lsu than i was expecting on offense and a little more impressed with them defensively. miss state offense is better than what they showed last night i think and the defense was either pretty good or lsu IS bad offensively.

utah @ oregon state

this game was pretty much what i expected it to be. oregon state pounded the ball down utahs throat most of the game and utah became less competitive after qb johnson went down with injury. the oregon state qb didnt look overtly sharp but the beaver goal is likely to survive his first few starts until he gets gametime experience. the oregon state run defense was spectacular in this game. i came away from this game with the same feeling i had about oregon state going in ... they are a sleeper team. Bernard looked like a man amongst boys. utah was pretty competitive early in this game but got worn down and demoralized when johnson went down. he was very important cog in the utah offense and i can see them struggling without him. major power rating decline on utah if he is out of the picture.

unlv @ utah state

the first thing i took from this game is that utah state is still utah state. they fumbled repeatedly and missed a PAT after tieing the game at 16 in 4th qtr. this aggie team is sorry sorry sorry. the utah state return man WILL lead the nation in return yards this year because he is both good and will get many opportunities. unlv looked crappy and predictable on offense , the qb employed the make one read and then tuck and run if it isn't there. the rebels will miss hinds. the receivers were open most of the game but the kid had no ability to deliver the ball. unlv kick coverage was atrocious but kicking game looked solid. unlv played pretty dominant defense in second half of this game and Bell had a nice game. i expected rebels to be a bit better than this offensively even without hinds but it is basically what i thought. utah state IS what i expected to see .. a loser.

buffalo at rutgers

unable to watch this game and have yet to examine the box score. any thoughts from thsoe who watched would be appreciated

kent at iowa state

wow .... sorry cyclones but that was embarrassing. while isu should have scored more points in the first half, kent blew several opportunites in the game to score as well. the offensive and defensive lines for isu looked atrocious. edelman looked like he decided where he was going with the ball before the snap and forced some balls into coverage. still dont have a great read on kent state but isu is downright ugly and vegas is going to have to try real hard to make numbers big enough for me to bet on this squad. chizik was a total failure at halftime adjustments in his first head coach game. on a brighter note , bass looked like a decent runner.

thoughts on what you learned from opening day about some of these teams ??

ULM / Tulsa..

I watched all of the 1st half and a little bit of the 2nd. Tulsa started the game with a 63yard drive which they scored on then the offense went on cruise control for the rest of the quater it seemed. ULM relies on RB Dawson very very heavily and QB (forget name) is just shit when he throws but is dangerous on his feet. The QB has a strong arm but he is not accurate at all. ULM was out hitting Tulsa players pretty hard all night. Tulsa's hurry up offense was snapping the ball about 4-6seconds after the ref's set it. I am sure the pace will get quicker as the season moves a long. Tulsa was able to gash ULM with quick routes as well. I think Tulsa can be ran on but they might be the 2nd best team in their side of their division behind Houston.

Riley turned the QB situation into a major cluster fuck for OSU...we still have no clue what they have at Qb.

I probably would have said this differently but couldn't have said it better.

etg - forgot to mention that game which is wierd since it was my game of the day yesterday on the over. cha ching ! i thought ulm ran the ball very effectively against tulsa but the warhawks seemed to throw more than they needed to. the o line for ulm looked good. the qb looked ..... well .... ouch. tulsa looked like they had pretty decent timing with the offense for the first game of the year. i think tulsa may have a problem with getting worn down on defense in some games later this year as teams run it straight at them while the offense either scores quickly or punts quickly. they certainly look like an over team to me. i layed off of ulm side and this final score will likely help me down the road at getting some good numbers with the warhawks later in the year. if they can run that effectively against tulsa ... they should have NO problem rushing it well vs sun belt defenses

In Piscataway,

Buffalo had a good gameplan, it looked like they modeled their offense after how Cincinnatti beat Rutgers last year. A lot of TE dumps. The injuries to LB for RU showed a bit, it seemed Buffalo managed a few nice short plays. Rutgers didn't punt, so that area is still a big ???. The lineplay for Rutgers was acceptible on both sides of the ball, RU gave up no sacks and sacked Buff 3 times. Rutgers kickoff coverage was OUTSTANDING. Ray Rice looked great. Hit the holes quick and showed the breakaway speed that analysts claim he lacks, although this was against Buffalo. Teel was good not great, a few errant balls and one that should've been picked. Underwood made a couple great catches to make him look good. Effort seemed a bit uninspired by Rutgers which is what concerns me the most. Take my comments with a grain of salt, I made these observations at field level.

thanks for the info, johnci

question ...specifically what was teel doing well and what was he doing poorly ... or to put another way ....

1. was he reading defenses well ?

2. how was his accuracy ? how catchable were his balls ?

3. how comfortable did he look ?

he is really the one question mark for me on the rutgers team.

also , did buffalo load the box in this game ?

ISU/KENT ST.
Meyer was horrible for a 4 year starter. JJ Bass looked great runing the ball. Cyclones have no pass rush from the front 4. O-Line had too many killer penlaties.

I watched glimpses of the RU game, it was hard to watch because Buffalo is so bad. When a guy like Underwood has 240yards receiving and he had that amount total last yr, you get the impression just how bad they are. Teel was throwing to wide open guys for the most part, just better and more athletic receivers. It is hard to see how much Teel has improved his game from this one tonight and you won't know for a while since RU stacked the schedule with cupcakes.

nice write-ups.. thought exact same thing about UNLV Offense---> predictable... both teams suck Utah St. just does not know how to win but I thought their D played hard

hard to say about Louisville couldn't really evaluate.. it was like they were playing a high school team a lot of TD drives were like 4 plays or less think they had 28 points with 4 mins in TOP. but i didn't like the way they gave up 3rd down conversions to Murray St and extended stretches with the ball.

Ball St/Miami followed this one on gamecast... missed opps but alot of dinking and dunking drives ..I thought ball had a more aerial attack coulda been an aberation like to know from someone who saw the game

isu74 - we saw the same game

etg - underwood had 240 ?? my gosh !

da hoss - thanks for the quickie on the miami oh/ ball st game. this was not on the tv at my local book , so i missed it as well. the final score was much lower than i expected so would love to hear from anyone who saw this game. missed opps but alot of dinking and dunking drives ..I thought ball had a more aerial attack

any weather issues involved ?? wind ?

damn i should have just bet miami ohio but decided not to unless it hit a seven which it never did. damn damn damn

I ran high school track with Underwood, the guy is a serious athlete. He looks to be in great shape. Search for "Underwood Buffalo" on youtube and you can watch the clip where he changes directions three times on a db who has his lined up for a tackle, gaining an extra 30 yards and a TD. Rediculous...

Teel looked poised in the pocket. He dealt with some pressure, and threw some really nice deep balls. He put a 50 yard flee flicker on the money but Underwood couldn't get separation from coverage. He looked very sharp, hitting Britt and Underwood in stride from 5-20 yards. He was efficient and overall accurate. His arm strength looked improved as well. No throws on the carpet or misses wide, which he struggled with last year. As others have said they were playing Buffalo, but there was no evidence that he cannot continue his late season sucess from last year. I think he has thrown 9 TD's without an INT.

Buffalo did put 8 in the box regularly. It is the only reason Rice didn't go for 250 yards honestly. The guy was explosive last night. The only time they wrapped him up was when there simply were too many blocking assignments.

I would give Teel a B+ overall. He played a weak team who was keying on stopping the run, but he excuted and played a turnover free game.

those are some of the detailed answers that canhelp me get a better feel for a player i was unable to watch. thanks again for heads up

Back