2023 Playoffs

If vegas gets a point here they have top seed and play the jets, if they dont Edmonton does, LA plays the one that doesnt win division

If Avs win tomorrow they win central and play Seattle, if they dont they play Minnesota. Dallas plays whomever Avs dont

I'd rather play Minny than Seattle, so wonder what Avs do tomorrow

Injuries that stick out

Landeskog is out for Colorado, wont be back for playoffs, huge loss

Mark Stone is practicing and expected to be back for Vegas, they've been circumventing cap by keeping him out like Tampa did kucherov a few years ago, huge boost for them

Curious how it works when teams like Leafs and TB play in the first round how historically the winner of a series like that does going forward

Not overly interested in either in this round but think the winner could go to the finals unless they burn out after a matchup like this

Obv a novice at puck and only pay attention in the playoffs but have no clue traditionally how two teams (I think) can make the finals do after a series like this in round 1

Also not playoffs, but FDNY vs NYPD game is on saturday, think on barstools youtube

Always a fun game, watched the documentary they did on it a few days ago, guys just playing for pride, always a few fights, usually a brawl, refs let em just go at each other too

Curious how it works when teams like Leafs and TB play in the first round how historically the winner of a series like that does going forward

Not overly interested in either in this round but think the winner could go to the finals unless they burn out after a matchup like this

Obv a novice at puck and only pay attention in the playoffs but have no clue traditionally how two teams (I think) can make the finals do after a series like this in round 1
This format has only been around for 4 or 5 years, so probably not much data

They played in r1 last year and Tampa made finals

Reactions: KJ
So vegas has a point

Means west matchups we know are

Vegas v Winnipeg
Edmonton v LA

If colorado wins tomorrow

Colorado v Seattle
Dallas v Minnesota

If they dont, swap seattle and minnesota

Should be another good 4 series there, vegas would scare me, much better team

But Hellebyueck can absolutely steal it

Main horse is oilers.
Yep same for me

Ekholm addition has been so good, let's him matchup against other teams top lines, moves Nurse down to 2nd pairing where hes a matchup problem especially if hes with mcdavid or drai

top 6 is best in the league imo, skinner been solid in net all year

Yep same for me

Ekholm addition has been so good, let's him matchup against other teams top lines, moves Nurse down to 2nd pairing where hes a matchup problem especially if hes with mcdavid or drai

top 6 is best in the league imo, skinner been solid in net all year

It's McDavid's time. He's got a really good team around him this year. Plus goalie like you said. None of that Mike Smith bullshit

FtpuWEPaIAAZvTF

I think the team in the west with the best shot at beating the Oilers is Dallas. Excellent penalty killing, which is a must if you plan on beating Edmonton, excellent goaltending & a potent power play of their own. Can't count out the defending champs either. As far as the Bruins getting taken down in the east, I'd say the NYR have a legit chance. Solid special teams, more offensive depth than last year & a goalie who is capable of stealing a couple games, although he hasn't been quite as good as last year. Toronto has a nice team, but hasn't been past round one in two decades. Devils are too inexperienced to make a long run this year. Tampa is still formidable but getting a bit long in the tooth & Carolina, who I loved prior to the season (I have a significant future on them) has suffered too many injuries.

Round 1 props

Most goals in series
Kyle Connor +500
Auston Matthews +360

Most points in series
Pastrnak +175
Robertson +300
Barzal +500

Scoring matchups in series
Horvat over Aho +130
Matthews over Point -140
Draisaitl over McDavid +160 - just think this is great value on drai

Just quick thoughts on each

Bruins are so much better than florida on back end and D. Florida goaltending this year has been so erratic, who knows what you get with Lyon or Bryz. The defense as well without weegar has become one that cant stop anyone, ekblad, montour, and forsling are very good offensively, but no one on the d is a stopper.

Which means to me that if they are going to win, it wont be how an underdog usually does with a goalie just becoming a wall. Only way these guys can win is if the forwards go HAM and we see a bunch of 5-4 type games. I dont see it over 7, but they could steal a few

Hurricanes have a great team but no great offensive players with svechnikov and pacioretty out. Which could be a potential issue against a goalie like sorokin, and a team that is solid defensively and can grind out results against better teams.

Barzal is back game 1 which is a huge boost to their power play, which was worst in the league, but when horvat and barzal were both on on it together it was excellent, 35%. If they can even have it in the mid 20s I really like their chances

Devils and Rangers is probly best series in round 1. I lean Rangers because of igor, the devils inexperience, and their reliance on chances off the rush which really slow down in the playoffs. Rangers forwards should be too much off the cycle and forecheck. Defense has been strong this year and fox is still a top 5 d man.

I am big on the leafs this year, trade deadline adding RoR, schenn, accari, McCabe, and lafferty gave them so much depth. It looks like RoR will start on 2nd line with Tavares and nylander, but they do have option to use that depth down middle and move tavares or ror to 3rd line. Matthews and Marner are due for a playoff explosion.

Tampa has so much talent on paper but have been a poor defensive team this year, in bottom half of league in high danger chances allowed, and their penalty kill has been very poor last few months, ranking 22nd since new year. Leafs power play could feast. I do think they need to win this in 6 or less, even with game 7 in toronto, I'd want nothing to do with vasilevski in an elimination situation

Mentioned in another thread but I would be worried if I was vegas, winnipeg lacks their depth, but has some lethal top end talent in connor, morrisey, and most importantly Hellebyueck. They have a top 5 pk as well and vegas pp is below average.

Vegas is definitely the favorite, but I do see some movement towards the jets, I was thinking about doing a chase with them to get 1 of first 2, but they are only +130, I expected similar line that islanders have. If this series is played tight and 2 or 3 goals is enough, jets have a chance, vegas goalie will likely be brossoit, who is not an nhl starter, hes a good backup. This kind of reminds me of vegas vs montreal in the bubble series. Vegas won game 1 with 4 goals, and the rest of the series put up 2, 2, 2, 1, 2.

Oilers are my pick to come out of west, have been 2nd best team in league since Jan 1. McDavid is on another level, drai is right behind him. They have the best top 6 in the league, and Ekholm coming into give them a shut down pair has been probably best individual player acquired at deadline.

The only potential issue is skinner in the playoffs, he is unproven, if he is shaky I still think they have the offense to out score issues like they did with smith last year, but if LA gets in his head and can score a lot, it will get dicey. Kings I dont think are team to do it, they have good depth but no high end forwards. Those teams are great in season because of their consistency, but usually struggle in playoffs. This went 7 last year, I dont think it takes that long this year

Stars have been the sneaky very good team this year that you dont hear about as they arent flashy, which is opposite of how most remember them from a few years ago with seguin and benn the main guys, they are complimentary to robertson and heintz now. They are a little thin on d after heiskenen, but they have been a top 10 team all year at minimizing chances, and have Oettinger in net, who was all world last year and almost stole a series vs the flames

Minnesota will be without their 1c in Erikkson ek to start the series, it's a huge loss as he was their matchup guy and definitely would have shadowed the top line of dallas. The wild do have proven playoff talent in net, and some good young forwards. They need Kaprizov to take over the series to have a chance, which he is definitely capable of doing. I do think this is a very close series and likely hinges on the wild being able to keep it close until erikkson ek gets back (likely game 3 or 4)

Avs are just a terrible matchup for the kraken. Seattle's goaltending was 3rd worst in the league this year, save percentage was under .900. Their offense has saved them and been great, especially mccann. Berniers will win rookie of the year, their 2nd and 3rd lines have been great, having said that, and I'm not high on Avs this year, but you cant get into a run n gun game with these guys having shitty goaltending and win, just look at the western conference finals last year with Edmonton. MacKinnon, rantanen, and makar are just too talented, and the avs have a bunch of guys with playoff history of stepping up. I expect we see goals here, I'll be on overs until I've seen otherwise

I hope the Rangers either win the Cup or get embarrassed in round one bad enough to get both Drury and Gallant thrown on their asses.

Aho gets the first tally for Carolina

Shortest odds at DraftKings

Currently -0.20 units for the playoffs

Carolina has energy and speed that’s not being matched whatsoever by NYI.

Back