2023-24 College Football

TodaysWinners

The Sun Shines More Brightly in Florida
With Spring practices going on, that means it's time to get a seasonal thread set up. At a minimum the thread will cover the spring practices to the championship game. Comments and questions are always welcome (negative, neutral or positive). A record will be kept in thread and updated regularly. Lines and odds, like my MLB thread, will be listed at the time of posting. I do not feel it is appropriate to discuss financial matters (dollar amounts of the various selections/wagers, starting bankroll, number of units, etc) and as such won't. My action is based on units, that way each person can easily fade or follow. Some days their will be many tickets, others some and on occasion none.

One more very important thing, I don't do game of the day, week, month, season or year. To me, all that does is cause a false market. While not having done this as long as most here, I believe those that label such games are ones who are selling or trying to sell their edge (tout) and wonder why they feel the need to sell their picks. If they are so good, they wouldn't need to replace their losses from those picks.

Looking forward to a fun and profitable season.

In a few minutes, from 11:00am to 1:00pm, on the SECN the Auburn Spring Game will be shown (again).

Also on the ACCN, from 11:00am to 1:00pm, the NC State Spring Game will be shown.

AAC CHANGES/NOTES

Last bowl season the AAC went 4-3.

The 14 teams will compete in one division.

The top two by conference win percentage will play in the 12/02 Championship Game.

Gone are Central Florida, Cincinnati and Houston.

New are Alabama-Birmingham, Florida Atlantic, North Texas, Rice and Texas San Antonio.

ACC CHANGES/NOTES

The conference will will compete in one division.

The top two teams will play in the 12/02 Championship Game.

They have adopted a 3-5-5 schedule, where the 3 are each teams primary opponents and the 5-5 make up the other 5 conference games rotating yearly.

Media days will be July 25-27 (Tuesday-Thursday).
On the 25 Georgia Tech, Louisville, Miami and Syracuse will have the stage.

Duke, Florida State, Pittsburgh, Virginia and Virginia Tech will be front and center on the 26th.

Closing day, 27th, will feature Boston College, Clemson, North Carolina, North Carolina State and Wake Forest.

The order of teams has not been finalized or released to the public YET.

BIG 12 CHANGES/NOTES

This is the last season for Oklahoma and Texas here, next season they head to the tougher SEC ... good luck with that.

New are BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati and Houston.

They will still play a nine conference game schedule.

The top two teams by conference win percentage will meet 12/02 in the Championship Game.

Their media days are July 13-14 (Wednesday and Thursday).

BIG TEN NOTES

Media days are July 26 and July 27 (Wednesday-Thursday).
IL, IN, IA, MSU, NW, OSU and Penn State are scheduled for Wednesday.

Taking the stage on Thursday are IND, MD, MI, MN, NE, Purdue and WI.

The order is unknown by me at this time.

CUSA CHANGES/NOTES

The nine teams will play eight conference games.

FIU, Jacksonville State, Liberty, LA Tech, Middle TN, NM State, Sam Houston, UTEP and WKY make up the conference this season.

The top two will play in the conference Championship Game either Friday 12/01 or Saturday 12/02.

MAC NOTES

Teams will play eight conference games, five divisional and three cross over.

The Championship Game is scheduled for Saturday 12/02.

MWC CHANGES/NOTES

Last season three teams had ten plus win.

There will be only one division.

Teams will play a 2-6 schedule (2 regular opponents, 6 rotational teams).

The top two conference teams by winning percentage will met 12/02 for the Championship.

PACIFIC 12 CHANGES/NOTES

Like many other conferences, they are opting for a one division conference.

They will play 9 conference games.

The Championship Game will be played Friday 12/01.

SEC NOTES

Media days will be July 17-20 (Monday-Thursday)

On Monday LSU, MO and Texas A&M have the stage.

Auburn, Georgia, MS State and Vanderbilt have honors on Tuesday.

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida and Kentucky take the stage Wednesday.

MS, SC and TN close media days 2023 on Thursday.

The Championship Game will be played Saturday 12/02. I expect UGA to be competing in the game.

SBC CHANGES/NOTES

Media days are July 25-26 (Tuesday-Wednesday).

They will play an eight game conference schedule using the 6-2 format.

The Championship Game is set for Saturday 12/02.

Here are three standouts from the Florida State annual Garnet and Gold Spring Showcase:
1. Kenton Poitier, WR. With leading receiver redshift junior Johnny Wilson out, Poitier slid into the top receiver role. His two outstanding plays were a one handed grab to start the day and later a 29 yard touchdown catch.

2. Kalen DeLoach, DL. He continued his dominance displayed last season and would have had several points/scores had the whistle not blown dead early so the offense could run additional plays. The potential of him making first team All American team brought old timers talking about Ron Simmons and how he impacted the Seminoles opponents offensive game plans.

3. The Quarterback squad. Travis will most likely be the starter for the opening game. Travis started slow but slowed the skills needed to lead the Noles to, at the very least, a New Year's Day/Six Bowl Game. The backup spot will come from Brook Glenn, Tate Rodemaker or A.J. Duffy. It will not surprise me if one or two, of the four, use the transfer portal to get playing time. I think they'd be making a serious mistake. This FSU team has the potential of being the start of several 'special' high quality teams. One would think, players would want to be a part of them.

Monday, April 17th was the fifteenth Spring Practice. One can see the progress Head Coach has been making with his teams the last couple seasons. Admittedly, when he was hired I wasn't overly impressed but seeing how he's changed the culture of the program and doing things the right way, has won me over. Before some will claim 'homer', while I love my states teams in the various sports I am very objective on them. In fact, any in state team needs to overly impress me to get recognition where as out of state teams don't need those additional/extra steps.

love this and appreciate it @TodaysWinners

Hard to really summarize all the moving parts at my alma matter even following it daily…an absurd about of changes yet to come with the cupboards left near empty by the brohms in the next few weeks within the portal (including a couple big back end adds in the first couple days of the most recent portal dates opening) but I will say thus far this new staff has been refreshing. Really impressed with how they’ve organized and established themselves both with current players/recruits/portal and the administration. Everyone loves a new coach before a game is played but this dude (walters) has sky high type potential with the $/facilities he has at his disposal.

For players also Hudson Card is flat out a stud and to me likely should still be at Texas as a starter without $ influenced backers behind Ewers but thankful as can be he gets to be the next in the cradle at Purdue. Harrell and Walters can’t stop raving about him to almost an annoying level…

love this and appreciate it @TodaysWinners

Hard to really summarize all the moving parts at my alma matter even following it daily…an absurd about of changes yet to come with the cupboards left near empty by the brohms in the next few weeks within the portal (including a couple big back end adds in the first couple days of the most recent portal dates opening) but I will say thus far this new staff has been refreshing. Really impressed with how they’ve organized and established themselves both with current players/recruits/portal and the administration. Everyone loves a new coach before a game is played but this dude (walters) has sky high type potential with the $/facilities he has at his disposal.

For players also Hudson Card is flat out a stud and to me likely should still be at Texas as a starter without $ influenced backers behind Ewers but thankful as can be he gets to be the next in the cradle at Purdue. Harrell and Walters can’t stop raving about him to almost an annoying level…
The way I look at it is some will have more current information and if there's a place to discuss and share that information, it will only benefit everyone. Living where I do, I am able to get a better grasp of the Florida teams when compared to a person from California and the reverse is also true. Sharing knowledge is the way we all increase our rolls.

Five SEC Coaches on the HOT SEAT This Season
5. Zach Arnett, Mississippi State, the untimely death put anyone who got the job in a very tough spot

4. Sam Pittman, Arkansas, brief success spoiled Razerbacks and their fans want more, failure to deliver could be a serious problem

3. Nick Saban, Alabama, despite all he's accomplished he and his program are looking up at Georgia, since taking over AL he's never gone three seasons without being in the title game

2. Billy Napier, Florida, success is measured by wins here (Superior, Meyer), not only win but entertain us (fans) in the process, NIL cost him a top tier QB and the depth is severely lacking we expect a competitive team, whispers are being heard on if he doesn't make a NY6 Bowl Game changes could be made
1. Jumbo Fisher, Texas A&M, money doesn't bring championships and this is the case here. All that money and he had a worse record than his predecessor - HOW DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR JOB? Guessing this is the last chance/straw for him there since coordinators have already been replaced.

LSU has their Spring Game this coming Saturday, 4/22. Kelly got attention last season, can his team keep it, match and/or exceed it?

Five SEC Coaches on the HOT SEAT This Season
5. Zach Arnett, Mississippi State, the untimely death put anyone who got the job in a very tough spot

4. Sam Pittman, Arkansas, brief success spoiled Razerbacks and their fans want more, failure to deliver could be a serious problem

3. Nick Saban, Alabama, despite all he's accomplished he and his program are looking up at Georgia, since taking over AL he's never gone three seasons without being in the title game

2. Billy Napier, Florida, success is measured by wins here (Superior, Meyer), not only win but entertain us (fans) in the process, NIL cost him a top tier QB and the depth is severely lacking we expect a competitive team, whispers are being heard on if he doesn't make a NY6 Bowl Game changes could be made
1. Jumbo Fisher, Texas A&M, money doesn't bring championships and this is the case here. All that money and he had a worse record than his predecessor - HOW DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR JOB? Guessing this is the last chance/straw for him there since coordinators have already been replaced.
A&M would need a mighty rich booster to pay off the rest of the $90 Million he’s owed. Think that’s the biggest issue.

But Saban on the list at 3…that’s a joke, right? He’s 167 games over .500 at Alabama. Unless the next coach is Jesus Christ turning water into wine or Moses parting the Red Sea, Nicky going to retire when he wants.

Pittman is a hard case to make too…Hogs had back to back 2-10 years before he got there…back to back bowl games is a pretty decent start in an absolutely brutal division in the best conference.

A&M would need a mighty rich booster to pay off the rest of the $90 Million he’s owed. Think that’s the biggest issue.

But Saban on the list at 3…that’s a joke, right? He’s 167 games over .500 at Alabama. Unless the next coach is Jesus Christ turning water into wine or Moses parting the Red Sea, Nicky going to retire when he wants.

Pittman is a hard case to make too…Hogs had back to back 2-10 years before he got there…back to back bowl games is a pretty decent start in an absolutely brutal division in the best conference.
Many rumors, again, that this is Nicky's last year.

He hates NIL, plus his age is getting up there.

Right, but walking away in your 70s is vastly different though than being on a hot seat. He absolutely gets to choose when he wants to walk away.

Right, but walking away in your 70s is vastly different though than being on a hot seat. He absolutely gets to choose when he wants to walk away.
True.

I think the author here is speaking more about the fans/alumni/boosters maybe being a bit impatient watching what Jorja has done the last few years.

A&M: all they need to do is win (on the scoreboard) for winning trumps darn near everything and is a huge eraser. They could come up with the money, if they wanted him gone.

AL: your numbers are spot on but try to render the standard for them is national championships. If they don't get that, they feel the season is a failure - they being the fan base. 'Bama has not gone three seasons without a national championship under Saban, he needs to deliver and his team is no longer the standard (for CFB).

ARK: take a closer look at the last couple seasons, in particular (if I remember correctly) they had moments of 'greatness' but then it was like the light switch got turned off against the upper crust of the SEC. This is where the hot seat ranking is coming from.

I think he wants one more National Championship before he retires and will stick around, if allowed, to accomplish it.

He may come off as calm level headed but his ego is getting in the way and in big games is showing signs that the game is passing him/the game plan failed (out coached).

As I recall his birthday is in October.

True.

I think the author here is speaking more about the fans/alumni/boosters maybe being a bit impatient watching what Jorja has done the last few years.
Alabama is no longer the dominant team in CFB, that honor now belongs to UGA. Three seasons for them without a National Championship is like thirty years for other schools. Failure to deliver a National Championship yearly is unacceptable to their fan base.

I feel very blessed/fortunate to live in a state where there are three power conferences teams and many group of five conference teams. When teams have weather that's conducive to year round practicing, with or without coaching staffs, those teams will generally do better.

Here are six players to keep an eye on this season when watching UCF:

1. Mathew Alexander, 6'3" 280 pound defensive lineman

2. Malachi Lawrence, 6'4" 270 pound defensive lineman

3. DeMarkus Bowman, 5'10" 193 pound running back

4. Marcellus Marshall, 6'5" 310 pound left offensive guard

5. Randy Pitman, 6'2" 225 pound offensive tight end

6. Walter Yates III, 6'1" 219 pound defensive linebacker

The Big XII should be very interesting to watch this season as four new teams have joined and two are in their final one (season) before departing for the SEC.

FYI an impactful rule change (in particularly for totals) for this year:

The NCAA also approved two other rules that were proposed in February and will modestly impact the time of the game. Teams will now be prohibited from calling consecutive team timeouts, and penalties at the end of the first and third quarter will carry over and be enforced on the first play of the next quarter.

Side note: multiple outs are mandatory for CFB.

It should be interesting to see how that plays out especially early this season.

The Florida Gators are hoping to add more players from the transfer portal. Their top target is Josh Simmons, a 6'6" 305 pound offensive lineman from San Diego State. The fact the Gators are trying to acquire him tells me the status of Micah Mazzccua is very murky at best since MM missed most of the spring drills with a shoulder injury and underwent surgery. JS was a four star recruit out of high school who originally commented to Oregon that started at tackle last season. He is scheduled to visit UF later this month.

Hayden Wolff, QB for Old Dominion has two years worth of scholarships remaining and Coach Napier is on record saying he wants four scholarship QBs on the team (depth is greatly needed). He needs to get more accurate - 56.9% in '22.

Jordan Hudson, WR, TCU. A four star recruit at his position he'd be the #1 or 2 option for the Gators. His 6'1" 180 pound frame is built for the likes of the pass happy Gators. He has four years of eligibility remaining.

Derick McLendon, edge rusher (FSU). SC, MO and TX have reached out to him trying to lure him there, that tells me (if I didn't already know) the guy has SEC talent. If Napier pulls this off it would go a long way towards settling the fan base who only care about WIN NOW instead of building depth.

Var'Keyes Gumms, TE (N TX) has the size, 6'3" but is only 230 pounds, but with three years of eligibility remaining, he has time to hit the weight room. The freshman All American, from CUSA, will need to adjust his game to be as effective against his SEC foes.

Here is a list of high impact players from the portal that one should get to be familiar with:

Travis Hunter, DB, for Colorado. He followed Coach Prime for an opportunity.

Denver Harris, DB, for LSU. On field talent, one has a game changing player BUT when Jimbo Fisher, Texas A&M head coach, had to suspend him seven games Kelly and his coaches definitely need kid cloves. All American potential if he's grown up.

Devin Leary, QB, for Kentucky. Coming from NC State to KY is viewed as a lateral/slight upgrade for him. The downside is the SEC is far more talented than what he faced in the ACC. If the line gives him time to showcase his skillset, the NFL scouts will be salivating.

Dominic Lovett, WR for UGA. The rich get richer. MO loss is Georgia's gain. Expectations are very high for Lovett to come in and have a greater season (than last).

Jordan Burch, DE for Oregon. The former Gamecock gets to compete for a conference title this season, something he's stated he wants. A solid season gets him an NFL round 1 or 2 call.

Josiah Stewart, LB for MI. Yes, its a big step from the Sun Belt but the talent is there, it just needs to be brought out. In 2021 he ranked fifth nationally in sacks, 12.5.

Jaheim Bell, TE for FSU. His impact will be felt instantly having averaged a little under 10 yards per catch last season at SC. Don't be shocked if you see him line up in the backfield either. He's talented to say the least and has given the Noles a hope of returning to former glory.

Carson Steele, RB for UCLA. The former All-Mac player heads out West before returning to the Midwest next season for his finale. He is durable and can easily handle 20 rushing attempts or more a game. Bruins picked up a fit for them while breaking in their QB.

Cade McNamara, QB for Iowa. The former MI QB will have a huge opportunity to showcase his abilities as the feature of the Hawkeye's offense.

Last but not least, on the list, is Sam Hartman, QB for Notre Dame. The only concern I have is how will he handle the jump from Wake Forest. The skill set is present, the others see what you can do NATIONWIDE.

I actually think he will come close to finishing out his current contract, which runs to 2030. He does hate NIL, but he hates losing more. He is getting older, but he's in pretty good health and not sure what he'd do if he was coaching. Wait until they institute a commissioner of college football?

I think he wants one more National Championship before he retires and will stick around, if allowed, to accomplish it.

He may come off as calm level headed but his ego is getting in the way and in big games is showing signs that the game is passing him/the game plan failed (out coached).

As I recall his birthday is in October.
He'll be allowed to stay as long as he wishes, as long as Greg Byrne is AD. You're right about the expectations here, but with the expanded playoff coming, the chances of winning a championship get better for programs like Alabama. The coaching thing is an interesting perspective. I think the thing that got away from us/Saban, was leaning a little too heavily toward the up-tempo, spread offense. Clearly, we had the weapons to utilize that type of offense, and it worked to great success. But it came at the expense of being a little "soft" along the lines of scrimmage and we became much easier to game plan against. Especially when we were without exceptional WRs. You saw it in 2021 multiple times, but Bryce and the WRs were so good, it often didn't matter. Even against UGA that year, who was the clear best team. Last year we didn't have the WR, and our OL and run game were so finesse that we couldn't pound out the yards to open up anything. But again, Bryce was so good, it often didn't matter. I think Saban recognizes this, and based on the recruiting along the lines of scrimmage, and the coordinators hired, we are moving back more toward being more physical. I don't think we'll go all the way back to 2015 Alabama, more like what UGA was this season, but maybe a little more dynamic at QB and WR.

From what I've gathered through spring practice, areas of concern on offense are the development at QB, depth on the OL, and consistency at WR. I think the coaches are "happy" with our QB room, but if a clear upgrade presents itself in the portal, we would be very interested. Upgrade meaning experience/success at this level of college football. We won't be going after an inexperienced but talented guy. We have those already. Feel really good about the first 5-6 OL, but there's just not much after them in the way of experience. I think WR will be fine. The juco guy has drawn rave reviews and looks like he has the potential to be a future high draft pick. If he (Benson) works out, the rest of the WR are much better suited to being #2 or #3 guys. The RB room is stacked, and if the OL truly can go back to being big, nasty, tone setting group, we could see some stars emerge, particularly Justice Haynes and Jam Miller. Jase McClellan will still be the starter, but we have depth here. TE spot doesn't have any superstars, or even one guy who can do all the things you'd like them to, but several guys who as a unit should be able to play winning football

I'm pretty excited to see our defense go back to our previous play style. Practicing against a more physical offense day in and day out should definitely bring back some toughness that may have been missing the last few seasons. The DL group has a lot of bodies, with a lot of experience, but lacks that 1st round guy like a Jonathan Allen, Marcel Dareus, Quinnen Williams, etc. Jaheim Oatis could be that guy, as he has been farther along in his development than expected. The freshman 5* James Smith certainly looks to be that guy, but we'll have to see once the season starts. OLB/DE should be a strength as we've recruited very well there, and now it's Dallas Turner's time to step out of Will Anderson's shadow. He and Chris Braswell missed spring practice while recovering from offseason surgery, but not worried about those 2. There's also a lot of talent right behind them, so the position should be pretty good. MLB has some newcomers, but they come with experience with a JUCO and the transfer from UGA. Deonte Lawson is a projected starter who missed spring for the same reasons as Turner and Braswell, but was pretty good last year. Secondary had some rough games last year, but I've heard lots of positives this spring. Kool-Aid McKinstry is back and a projected all-SEC and all-American type player. Caleb Downs has been the big story at safety. Early enrollee and almost immediately earned a spot with the first team, and has performed well. He'll certainly have his freshmen moments, but most feel he's similar to Minkah Fitzpatrick, just a really good football player.

Not sure what we have at returners, but Reichard at PK is one of the best in the country, and the punter was serviceable last year and I'd hope to see him get better.

Schedule is manageable with home games against Texas, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and LSU. Away games are South Florida, Miss St, aTm, AU and Kentucky. You don't get better as a team by losing Bryce Young and Will Anderson, but I think this team has a chance of performing better due to the philosophical shift. 1-85 is as talented as any in the country, so I don't know why the expectation should be anything other than winning the West and competing for the SEC and national title. Might be a little bumpy breaking in a new QB, but with a little injury luck this could be a championship favorite by November

I can tell someone loves their school and their passion shows. Right now I see Alabama as a 9-3 or 10-2 team. Having watched the A game live and a couple, as in two, additional times I see Saban furious about the inconsistency at the QB position and it won't surprise me to see him try to poach an upgrade at the cube.

Their talent base has dropped from the last few seasons, while still better than many, they are not the dominant team in the SEC, let alone in CFB any longer. Here is an example, 100% fictitious, AL was getting 4.8 star recruits last season, this season they got 4.6 star recruits. While that's not 'that much' on paper, in terms of skill and ability it's significant and that's why I say they are trending downward. Mind you, they are still a very good team just no longer a top three team in the nation.

I greatly appreciate others comments and hope they will continue especially if their is a difference of opinion. It's okay to have that, all I ask is to keep the language clean (if you wouldn't say it in front of or to your clergy man don't say it in here) and don't be insulting. Thanks for understanding.

He'll be allowed to stay as long as he wishes, as long as Greg Byrne is AD. You're right about the expectations here, but with the expanded playoff coming, the chances of winning a championship get better for programs like Alabama. The coaching thing is an interesting perspective. I think the thing that got away from us/Saban, was leaning a little too heavily toward the up-tempo, spread offense. Clearly, we had the weapons to utilize that type of offense, and it worked to great success. But it came at the expense of being a little "soft" along the lines of scrimmage and we became much easier to game plan against. Especially when we were without exceptional WRs. You saw it in 2021 multiple times, but Bryce and the WRs were so good, it often didn't matter. Even against UGA that year, who was the clear best team. Last year we didn't have the WR, and our OL and run game were so finesse that we couldn't pound out the yards to open up anything. But again, Bryce was so good, it often didn't matter. I think Saban recognizes this, and based on the recruiting along the lines of scrimmage, and the coordinators hired, we are moving back more toward being more physical. I don't think we'll go all the way back to 2015 Alabama, more like what UGA was this season, but maybe a little more dynamic at QB and WR.

From what I've gathered through spring practice, areas of concern on offense are the development at QB, depth on the OL, and consistency at WR. I think the coaches are "happy" with our QB room, but if a clear upgrade presents itself in the portal, we would be very interested. Upgrade meaning experience/success at this level of college football. We won't be going after an inexperienced but talented guy. We have those already. Feel really good about the first 5-6 OL, but there's just not much after them in the way of experience. I think WR will be fine. The juco guy has drawn rave reviews and looks like he has the potential to be a future high draft pick. If he (Benson) works out, the rest of the WR are much better suited to being #2 or #3 guys. The RB room is stacked, and if the OL truly can go back to being big, nasty, tone setting group, we could see some stars emerge, particularly Justice Haynes and Jam Miller. Jase McClellan will still be the starter, but we have depth here. TE spot doesn't have any superstars, or even one guy who can do all the things you'd like them to, but several guys who as a unit should be able to play winning football

I'm pretty excited to see our defense go back to our previous play style. Practicing against a more physical offense day in and day out should definitely bring back some toughness that may have been missing the last few seasons. The DL group has a lot of bodies, with a lot of experience, but lacks that 1st round guy like a Jonathan Allen, Marcel Dareus, Quinnen Williams, etc. Jaheim Oatis could be that guy, as he has been farther along in his development than expected. The freshman 5* James Smith certainly looks to be that guy, but we'll have to see once the season starts. OLB/DE should be a strength as we've recruited very well there, and now it's Dallas Turner's time to step out of Will Anderson's shadow. He and Chris Braswell missed spring practice while recovering from offseason surgery, but not worried about those 2. There's also a lot of talent right behind them, so the position should be pretty good. MLB has some newcomers, but they come with experience with a JUCO and the transfer from UGA. Deonte Lawson is a projected starter who missed spring for the same reasons as Turner and Braswell, but was pretty good last year. Secondary had some rough games last year, but I've heard lots of positives this spring. Kool-Aid McKinstry is back and a projected all-SEC and all-American type player. Caleb Downs has been the big story at safety. Early enrollee and almost immediately earned a spot with the first team, and has performed well. He'll certainly have his freshmen moments, but most feel he's similar to Minkah Fitzpatrick, just a really good football player.

Not sure what we have at returners, but Reichard at PK is one of the best in the country, and the punter was serviceable last year and I'd hope to see him get better.

Schedule is manageable with home games against Texas, Tennessee, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and LSU. Away games are South Florida, Miss St, aTm, AU and Kentucky. You don't get better as a team by losing Bryce Young and Will Anderson, but I think this team has a chance of performing better due to the philosophical shift. 1-85 is as talented as any in the country, so I don't know why the expectation should be anything other than winning the West and competing for the SEC and national title. Might be a little bumpy breaking in a new QB, but with a little injury luck this could be a championship favorite by November
Great post as always on Bama football.

A lot to take in, but to one of the first points -- expanded playoff definitely helps.

I can tell someone loves their school and their passion shows. Right now I see Alabama as a 9-3 or 10-2 team. Having watched the A game live and a couple, as in two, additional times I see Saban furious about the inconsistency at the QB position and it won't surprise me to see him try to poach an upgrade at the cube.

Their talent base has dropped from the last few seasons, while still better than many, they are not the dominant team in the SEC, let alone in CFB any longer. Here is an example, 100% fictitious, AL was getting 4.8 star recruits last season, this season they got 4.6 star recruits. While that's not 'that much' on paper, in terms of skill and ability it's significant and that's why I say they are trending downward. Mind you, they are still a very good team just no longer a top three team in the nation.

I greatly appreciate others comments and hope they will continue especially if their is a difference of opinion. It's okay to have that, all I ask is to keep the language clean (if you wouldn't say it in front of or to your clergy man don't say it in here) and don't be insulting. Thanks for understanding.
I mean maybe you're right, but the 2022 247 talent consensus had Alabama as the most talented team in the country by a pretty significant margin. Doesn't make them the best team clearly, but the roster takes a backseat to nobody when it comes to talent. Like I said, I think the philosophical shift back to a more physical team will yield more consistent efforts and outcomes. And as to the downward trend comment, the recruiting rankings tell the opposite story. The last 3 (2021-23) classes are all rated higher than the previous 3 (2018-20). I know recruiting rankings aren't the end all be all, but I think they are a pretty good indicator of success when you consider who the top 3-4 classes are each year. Saban badly misplayed the 2018 recruiting class which was the first year of the early signing day. That class alone put us behind the relative 8 ball. Like I said, you could be right. The last two seasons were not what we're accustomed to. That being said, we were a WR injury away from a title in '21, and have lost 3 regular season games the last 2 years, all on the last play of the game. Don't think we're too far off. But I won't clutter up your thread any more with Alabama stuff. Good thread btw and welcome to the forum

Michigan tried that spread stuff etc and they had bad results in the games that mattered.

He went back to his style, which is a basic UM style as is, and we've seen much better results since then.

Obviously with the talent Bama has, I'd expect a similar trajectory and likely better.

How do you feel about the assistants @gps_3 ?

Michigan tried that spread stuff etc and they had bad results in the games that mattered.

He went back to his style, which is a basic UM style as is, and we've seen much better results since then.

Obviously with the talent Bama has, I'd expect a similar trajectory and likely better.

I think a lot of fans were disappointed in them, especially on defense because some folks out there reported that there was a legit chance at Pruitt, but Steele makes a lot of sense. Not necessarily a "wow" hire, but safe and we know what we'll get. His defenses at AU were pretty salty, and I think were the most effective of any team against that Joe Burrow LSU juggernaut in 2019. We'll have to see on Rees. He's said the right things, and I know he is an up and coming guy who was reportedly on the short list of candidates for several big time programs, but the proof will be in the pudding.

I mean maybe you're right, but the 2022 247 talent consensus had Alabama as the most talented team in the country by a pretty significant margin. Doesn't make them the best team clearly, but the roster takes a backseat to nobody when it comes to talent. Like I said, I think the philosophical shift back to a more physical team will yield more consistent efforts and outcomes. And as to the downward trend comment, the recruiting rankings tell the opposite story. The last 3 (2021-23) classes are all rated higher than the previous 3 (2018-20). I know recruiting rankings aren't the end all be all, but I think they are a pretty good indicator of success when you consider who the top 3-4 classes are each year. Saban badly misplayed the 2018 recruiting class which was the first year of the early signing day. That class alone put us behind the relative 8 ball. Like I said, you could be right. The last two seasons were not what we're accustomed to. That being said, we were a WR injury away from a title in '21, and have lost 3 regular season games the last 2 years, all on the last play of the game. Don't think we're too far off. But I won't clutter up your thread any more with Alabama stuff. Good thread btw and welcome to the forum
Time will tell on how the season plays out. All input is welcome so we can discuss things. There is no such thing as 'clutter', my plan all along was to have a discussion thread (this one) and a wagering one (not created yet). Thank you and look forward to reading your thoughts throughout the season.

When you say 'we' (we've), does this mean you attended MI, live there or both? Just trying to get a hold on where people are and whom they root for.

With the two new teams coming next season, have you heard anything about divisions, schedules etc? Down here there's not much coverage of the Big Ten, but if one of the conferences better teams loses, it makes headlines. I don't believe that's fair - only reporting after losses. When that happens, I either switch the station (radio or TV) or turn it off for a while. Be objective, not a homer.

The team I think that might catch some off guard this season, from the Big Ten, is Penn State. Some might think this is because Manny was a former head coach here, but that's not the case. If anything, I am less forgiving of bad play calling than an out of state team. He's a great family man and gets the players to buy into the system and it works. Yes, he still has work to do there but they are now getting players for his methodology on the defensive side of the ball. If he is still with Penn State when they play the U, I will openly cheer and root for Penn State to shutout the in state team because how they fired him. There's a right way and a wrong way and they took the easy way (he was out recruiting) the gutless pukes. This reminded me of when the Arkansas head coach got fired leaving the field after the last game of the season - don't remember his name, just that what they did was crappy.

To me, if you're going to use a spread offense, you can't do it part time. Just like on the defensive side of the ball, get a solid base and for a play or two, change it but not for the entire game.

There are discussions in place about fans storming the court and/or field in the SEC with offending home team losing their next home game verses that opponent. This is coming from that fines aren't stopping this from happening and some players being pelted in the head (completely unacceptable).

When you say 'we' (we've), does this mean you attended MI, live there or both? Just trying to get a hold on where people are and whom they root for.

With the two new teams coming next season, have you heard anything about divisions, schedules etc? Down here there's not much coverage of the Big Ten, but if one of the conferences better teams loses, it makes headlines. I don't believe that's fair - only reporting after losses. When that happens, I either switch the station (radio or TV) or turn it off for a while. Be objective, not a homer.
The B16 just named their new commissioner recently, that's why there has been a delay with the future scheduling (when USC and UCLA come in).

Many rumors abound about which schools will have which protected rivalries, nothing set in stone.

The amount of bitching he's done all offseason is telling. I think he realizes it's going to be a lot more difficult going forward than it was during the heyday. I could see him retire but I'd love to see him hold on too long.

Back