******2022 NHL Playoffs IN GAME & Discussion******

Rangers have a solid team. Shesterkin was solid this round, I thought he would fold and he did very well. They have yet to face a #1 starting goalie for the opponent though so thinking Lightning price is low.

I'll be on Edmonton personally, Colorado has problems in net and some defensive lapses. If you are gonna get in a shootout with the Oilers you are going to lose 9/10 times the way they are playing.

Rangers have a solid team. Shesterkin was solid this round, I thought he would fold and he did very well. They have yet to face a #1 starting goalie for the opponent though so thinking Lightning price is low.

I'll be on Edmonton personally, Colorado has problems in net and some defensive lapses. If you are gonna get in a shootout with the Oilers you are going to lose 9/10 times the way they are playing.
Colorado isn't the only team in that series with serious goalie issues.

Round 2, using the same factors as Round 1 except for last 25 game stat:

Tampa in 6 over Florida - Better shooting, goaltending, PK, close in PP opportunities, Panthers have edge in defensive scoring, but Hedman can basically do it all.
New York in 7 over Carolina - Rangers slight edges in goal, defensive scoring, Canes better shooting % and PK. The edge is Carolina allowing a lot of PP opportunities.
Calgary in 6 over Edmonton - Flames superior in shooting, goaltending, PK, close numbers from defensemen and PP opportunities. Could end in 5 but McDavid wills another win.
Colorado in 7 over St. Louis - Blues a much better shooting and PK team, while Avs draw penalties better and have better defensemen scoring. Tight in goal but slight edge to the Avs. An upset would not surprise me.
3-1 on 2nd round series, not bad considering three of the series went to the dog. Edmonton was the big whiff, really underestimated the way McDavid has elevated his play and also the improvement in his surrounding cast. Tampa with the sweep was surprising but when a team with that blend of skill and experience gets the upper hand they will often keep the pedal down.

Conference finals using the usual factors:

Tampa in 7 over the Rangers - Tampa has the better front line skill and will draw more penalties, while the Rangers have a slight edge in goal right now and the better PK. Should be a great series with momentum shifting back and forth.

Colorado in 6 over Edmonton - Colorado had a regular season edge in shooting and power play opportunities, although in the playoffs the Oilers have closed that gap, while goaltending and PK% are close. I fear I'm still underestimating this Oilers team. Take a look at the top Oilers after 12 games compared to the first Oilers Cup winner in the 80s, who rolled to a title in 19 games.

Remember, 19 games vs 12 games....

Gretzky 13-22-35, +18
McDavid 7-19-26, +19

Messier 8-18-26, +9
Draisaitl 7-19-26, +7

Kurri 14-14-28, +9
Kane 12-3-15. +7

Anderson 6-11-17, +6
Nugent-Hopkins 4-7-11, +1

Rat Linseman 10-4-14, +7
Hyman 8-4-12, +6

Up front the Oilers top lines today are performing pretty damn close to the HOF guys on the start of that great dynasty. Obviously there are differences....the dynasty Oilers were all in their early 20s, today McDavid is the youngest and he's already 25. Bottom six scoring is also lacking....the dynasty had chip ins from guys like Hunter, Lindstrom, Hughes and even Cement-ko. But the biggest difference is the lack of a superstar blueliner (Coffey) to push the offense to even greater heights. And that's where the Avs have their biggest edge. Cale Makar should be a huge difference maker in this series.

3-1 on 2nd round series, not bad considering three of the series went to the dog. Edmonton was the big whiff, really underestimated the way McDavid has elevated his play and also the improvement in his surrounding cast. Tampa with the sweep was surprising but when a team with that blend of skill and experience gets the upper hand they will often keep the pedal down.

Conference finals using the usual factors:

Tampa in 7 over the Rangers - Tampa has the better front line skill and will draw more penalties, while the Rangers have a slight edge in goal right now and the better PK. Should be a great series with momentum shifting back and forth.

Colorado in 6 over Edmonton - Colorado had a regular season edge in shooting and power play opportunities, although in the playoffs the Oilers have closed that gap, while goaltending and PK% are close. I fear I'm still underestimating this Oilers team. Take a look at the top Oilers after 12 games compared to the first Oilers Cup winner in the 80s, who rolled to a title in 19 games.

Remember, 19 games vs 12 games....

Gretzky 13-22-35, +18
McDavid 7-19-26, +19

Messier 8-18-26, +9
Draisaitl 7-19-26, +7

Kurri 14-14-28, +9
Kane 12-3-15. +7

Anderson 6-11-17, +6
Nugent-Hopkins 4-7-11, +1

Rat Linseman 10-4-14, +7
Hyman 8-4-12, +6

Up front the Oilers top lines today are performing pretty damn close to the HOF guys on the start of that great dynasty. Obviously there are differences....the dynasty Oilers were all in their early 20s, today McDavid is the youngest and he's already 25. Bottom six scoring is also lacking....the dynasty had chip ins from guys like Hunter, Lindstrom, Hughes and even Cement-ko. But the biggest difference is the lack of a superstar blueliner (Coffey) to push the offense to even greater heights. And that's where the Avs have their biggest edge. Cale Makar should be a huge difference maker in this series.
The one thing I disagree with is the Rangers having the edge in goal when Vasilevsky is the best money goalie in hockey. At best its an even goalie matchup with Tampa having the big experience edge.

The Rangers have gotten through these first two series largely due to facing minor league quality goalies and that is certainly not going to be happening here. Its been a great run for this team but this looks like a big mismatch to me unless Tampa takes a ton of penalties and the Rangers capitalize.

Tampa will have opportunities to take advantage of the Rangers fourth line with noted goon Ryan Reaves getting way more ice time than he should (he shouldn't be in the lineup at all but veteran coaches love their tough guys). I would also look for them to expose the Rangers third defense pair which is quite weak.

Rangers do have a little magic going and they did win all the regular season games between the teams so they definitely have a chance but I just keep going back to how many times they have won games this postseason where they have been dominated in possession only to win because Shesterkin was the best player on the ice.

As for Colorado and Edmonton I could see the Avs winning this series in as little as 5 games. The run and gun Oilers have met their match offensively and the Avs are a far deeper team. Any team with McDavid and Draisatl have a chance but Colorado is the better and deeper team so I expect a quick series win.

NYR vs TB hot take
Start in the net. Advantage TB. Vasilevsky has the best gaa and save percentage of any goaltender left in the playoffs. Back to back stanley cup champion, battle tested, there is quite simply no one better. I'm not going to say it's a massive advantage, but definitely edges toward TB.
Defense - Advantage TB. TB top four very solid and Hedman one of the best in the game for sure. Rangers are still very young on defense, but have been decent about staying in position. They skate well, but need to toughen up in their own end, give up too many second chances and effort goals (Pens took advantage of this, whereas Canes didn't). That said, Trouba is a difference maker. Change the tide in the series with his hit vs. Domi and subsequent fight. And put the Canes to bed with the KTFO of Jarvis.
Offense - Advantage NYR. I don't know what Point's status is, but I don't think he's playing again any time soon. TB has a lot of underappreciated forwards, Cirelli in particular and HAgel, but the bulk of their offense is from Stamkos and Kucherov and Point, and well no Point. With Goodrow back for the Rangers they really roll out four good lines. Their #1 line is rolling and Mika been playing tremendous. Kid line has been solid. Love their 4th line, love what Reaves brings night in and night out. But if the Rangers want to win, they need more consistent production from Panarin line.
Special teams - advantage NYR. Pretty obvious their power play is lights out and their pk is good as well. TB no slouches for sure, but I'm giving the nod to the Rangers here.

I have no idea why the Lightning are favored here at all. Rangers have home ice advantage. They were better in the regular season. They beat TB all three matchups this year. Yeah, I get it, Lightning are defending champs, and crushed the best regular season team. Whatever. Rangers should advance

Just a little nugget regarding the NYR/Tampa series that I researched out of curiosity. There have been 15 previous instances since expansion in the 67-68 season where a team won back to back 7 game series. The winning team in those series lost their next series 12 of 15 times, although one of the three to win their next series was the 2014 NYR.

Also, the Rangers had the luxury of playing a Penguins team with their 3rd string goalie in net & who was without Crosby for the better part of two games, then got to play against another backup goalie for Carolina. Not sure their offense is better than Tampa's as they did score 33 less goals during the regular season, but of course Point being out does even the playing field a bit. One last thing is that young teams with limited playoff experience don't typically make the leap from next to zero playoff appearances (3 games in 4 previous seasons before this year) to the Stanley Cup. There's usually a learning curve where the team makes a run, falls short & then tweaks things & gains experience before winning it all. IMO, Shesterkin is going to have to steal the series from Tampa with great performances, which he's obviously capable of. I just don't think it happens this season.

For our Canadian viewers…

Edzo said “one of those goaltender GAA is gonna look like the gas prices across our country”

that was bout the easiest NHL over i ever hit! within 15 min i had no doubt we were gonna see at least 8 goals!! cashed 5 min into the 2nd period! lol.. i assumed this thing be high scoring and when they came with the total at 7 it felt like a pretty big tell!! they cant make them any higher can they? has there ever been a nhl total higher than 7? i never seen it but i dont look at nhl lines all that often during reg season.

Gosh damn empty net goals fucking my Edmonton +1.5. Still feel it was the right play, but need to remember that end of game shit. At least the o7 hit by halfway through game

im always torn on taking those +1.5 goals, you feel like should be a close game but nothing sucks more than being on puck line and ya see goalie heading to bench! especially with the snipers on these teams, they gonna score when they get the empty net!! almost feel like we be better off betting "yes" for ot, get way better odds and that only time you can feel good bout the +1.5 goals. Only 3 of Avs 9 wins thus far have been by 1 goal, 2 of those were OT and the other they scored the goal to closeout blues series with like 6 seconds left!! Only 1 of oilers 8 wins thus far been by 1 goal and you guessed it, it was a overtime game!! pretty much paying the expensive price for that security blanket that basically only matters in ot (besides the 1 fluky last second win). im assuming it nice plus money to simply play "yes" for ot?

i would say might as well lay the -1.5 with the fav but im positive the minute i do that it be a 1 goal game!! ive seriously bet Avs to win in regulation twice these playoffs and inexplicably they were the 2 games Avs won in OT!! couldnt do that if i tried!! lol. gotta laugh to keep from crying!!

In the east rangers dont have any 1 goal win that wasnt OT! Tampa the only team left that has won several 1 goal games that didnt go to OT, in the last round they won 1 non OT game 2-1, Last 3 games of the toronto series were 1 goal games and only 1 was OT, 2 of those were tampa wins. 1 in ot the other not.

i have no idea who wins this series? im a little bias to the rangers cause they been great to me betting them when their backs been against the wall. How many times in a row can tampa win the freaking cup? feel like that shit gotta end. gotta worry bout fatigue with rangers the deeper this series goes tho, mfers have played the max number of games possible and have had to come back from 3-1 and 3-2 down, that takes a lot of energy!!! kinda surprised rangers getting plus money in game 1 and im assuming 2!! part of me wants to wait till the get pressed into a corner but then part of me says dont pass the plus money in game one, just a tad scared of my chase method with rangers early in series, i could see that getting me in trouble and forced to continue the chase into tampa, dont want that! lol.

Last edited:
rest vs rust for tampa in game 1? if only rangers had played over weekend and not gm7 on monday. quick turn around for this series but i think i rather have played monday than been off 7 days, i dont think fatigue starts showing up till we get later into the series.

Reactions: KJ
i dont see much in the early starts, i expect Carrasco will be good but they asking for 18.5 outs and 5.5 k's.. no interest going over either those numbers. think ya just lay the rl for ff or game with mets if ya gotta play anything in that game.

i dont see much in the early starts, i expect Carrasco will be good but they asking for 18.5 outs and 5.5 k's.. no interest going over either those numbers. think ya just lay the rl for ff or game with mets if ya gotta play anything in that game.
NHL thread homey

Wish I could bottle up all of your wrong thread posts, think it would sell on ebay for a lot

Rangers been really good in the 1st period all playoffs, even the games they lost they often been ahead or at least tied, combine that with tampa having lots of time off before this game and makes me think rangers 1st period a solid bet. Really like them + a half goal but that is -220, not a bad parlay partner if ya got a juicy mlb play tho!

Back