2021 CFP Discussion

Just curious, how many teams other than UGA would you put your money on to beat Alabama on a neutral? The whole committee thing sucks, and I agree BCS method was better, but they generally get the 4 teams right at the end.
Texas A and M. And that‘s saying a lot.

Just curious, how many teams other than UGA would you put your money on to beat Alabama on a neutral? The whole committee thing sucks, and I agree BCS method was better, but they generally get the 4 teams right at the end.

Depends what you call right? I doubt anyone other than Uga beats bama most days, it shouldn’t really matter what we think tho, did we think aggies were gonna beat bama? Turning this into who ppl think the best teams are makes the regular season pointless and playing the games a meaningless waste of time. . Just cause We think they good shouldn’t mean shit, they should have to earn it and they have not earned the 2 spot.

Do you think they have earned a ranking higher than the undefeated teams they ahead of for some reason? Almost lost to gators, lost to aggies, seems to me their resume isn’t any more impressive than the undefeated teams they jump cause we think they better. Who has bama beaten on the road that we supposed to be impressed by? Have they beaten a top 10 team on the road like some others being left out? Have they beaten a top 10 team at all? I’ll happily give ya sure bama is prob the 2nd best team in the country if you can admit they havnt earned that spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: KJ
I know we live in a world where earning things isn’t really the way it goes but I think it sucks. Anyone who says bama has earned the 2 spot is lying to themselves. Whether or not they would be favored over everyone else is meaningless, just like the games apparently are.

Doesn’t really matter. Alabama has to win out regardless to make playoff.
I totally disagree. I can absolutely see them putting a 2-loss Alabama team in if there are no undefeateds (and even if Cincy is undefeated). They're already setting the precedent that Bama's loss doesn't matter...why would they drop any further if they lose to #1 Georgia in the SEC ship game?

Depends what you call right? I doubt anyone other than Uga beats bama most days, it shouldn’t really matter what we think tho, did we think aggies were gonna beat bama? Turning this into who ppl think the best teams are makes the regular season pointless and playing the games a meaningless waste of time. . Just cause We think they good shouldn’t mean shit, they should have to earn it and they have not earned the 2 spot.

Do you think they have earned a ranking higher than the undefeated teams they ahead of for some reason? Almost lost to gators, lost to aggies, seems to me their resume isn’t any more impressive than the undefeated teams they jump cause we think they better. Who has bama beaten on the road that we supposed to be impressed by? Have they beaten a top 10 team on the road like some others being left out? Have they beaten a top 10 team at all? I’ll happily give ya sure bama is prob the 2nd best team in the country if you can admit they havnt earned that spot.
Earning and deserving has nothing to do with it unfortunately. They are tasked with getting the 4 best teams, not most deserving. It's a tough job. Rarely does anyone have a perfect resume, and it's almost impossible to be consistent. Alabama has not earned a playoff spot yet. If they win the rest of their regular season games and beat UGA, I would say they have earned it. The only possible scenario I see where a 2 loss Alabama gets in is if they lose to AU, but still win the West and beat UGA. Even then, there will need to be some chaos. A 2 loss, non-champion Alabama is not getting in unless unprecedented levels of chaos happen. 2 years ago we lost 2 and they put us at like 15, and that team was likely better than this year's

I feel like it's the same conversation every year. Everyone freaks out about the rankings that don't matter. The only one that matters is the last one. Almost every scenario will work itself out. I do think Cincy got screwed, not because of where they are necessarily, but by not having SMU and Houston ranked.

Man, predetermining who the best teams are irrespective of what they earn on the field sounds like an easy gig to me!

No you wouldn't
Right i‘m not supposed to care about what happens on the field. Alabama is just automatically better — even better than a team they lost to. It‘s just ridiculous, man.

Watch, one day Bama will lose the natty on the field but later they’ll be declared the winner since they‘re the „best.“

Man, predetermining who the best teams are irrespective of what they earn on the field sounds like an easy gig to me!
It's not tough at all, damn near two decades shows it's possibly the easiest gig in all of sport and the cop out is "best teams" to fit their narratives every. f'n. year.

They don't face tough decisions at all.

Bad losses are only allowed to count against Ohio State. Bama gets a pass.
Not true....what matters is that there's 4 teams that will draw eyes to TV sets...that's it. They care about ratings on TV, which equates to more money. Eyes are on Bama because people love them or love to hate them...that's good for TV.

Georgia is in no matter what.

And then Bama unless they lose to someone other than Georgia is in no matter what.

The other 2 are from a handful of teams. Ohio State, Oklahoma, Oregon, Notre Dame, Sparty (if they win the B1G), Michigan (if they are 1 loss in B1G and win it - which will never happen because JH is a clown)

That's about it.

Cincy has a 0% chance to make this playoff.

Right i‘m not supposed to care about what happens on the field. Alabama is just automatically better — even better than a team they lost to. It‘s just ridiculous, man.

Watch, one day Bama will lose the natty on the field but later they’ll be declared the winner since they‘re the „best.“
What happens on the field matters. It's why Alabama isn't #1 right now. The committee thinks Alabama is better than the teams ranked after them. I think most would agree. You apparently do not. It's fine.

What happens on the field matters. It's why Alabama isn't #1 right now. The committee thinks Alabama is better than the teams ranked after them. I think most would agree. You apparently do not. It's fine.
Think that's the point. It's safe to say that most championships in sport are won by teams who aren't thought of as the best or we would make dogs on several occasions. It's what makes sports....sports.

That's the opposite of this set up.

Must be nice to live in a world, as a Bama fan, where you get things handed to you while you get to pretend it‘d been earned

Must be nice to live in a world, as a Bama fan, where you get things handed to you while you get to pretend it‘d been earned
Stop...this is a system problem, not a Bama problem. Once we get to a 8/12 game playoff all this talk goes away.

Until then, just like every year, the committee will do dumb shit in their polls, for the sake of simply getting people talking. It will all work itself out anyway.

Think that's the point. It's safe to say that most championships in sport are won by teams who aren't thought of as the best or we would make dogs on several occasions. It's what makes sports....sports.

That's the opposite of this set up.
100%. I'm not arguing what the rules should be, but what they are. And granted, they are set up to benefit a select group. Just like life. I'm a huge Braves fan, so I just got to watch likely the worst team in the playoffs win the World Series. But the only way that system works is to have fewer teams overall, so you can compare apples to apples. When it expands to 12, the results will be the same generally, cause there's only a handful of teams capable of winning 3 games against high level competition, but there will be more teams with a chance, and in a one game situation, anything can happen.

Until then, just like every year, the committee will do dumb shit in their polls, for the sake of simply getting people talking. It will all work itself out anyway.
I think that ship has sailed though, putting effort into debate over this stuff has caused it to only be vaguely interesting to debate. Sure we do threads like this but when the story line is the same year in and year out, it eventually gets to sighs and shrugs. Not like anyone believes Bama isn't one of the best two teams in the country, but until they make it viable for every team to have a shot at winning their sport's national championship, it's a cute show for the big names.

No clue how ratings would differ if Cincinnati were in over Ohio State, or Oklahoma over Bama, or *gasp* undefeated Wake Forest over anyone

Earning and deserving has nothing to do with it unfortunately. They are tasked with getting the 4 best teams, not most deserving. It's a tough job. Rarely does anyone have a perfect resume, and it's almost impossible to be consistent. Alabama has not earned a playoff spot yet. If they win the rest of their regular season games and beat UGA, I would say they have earned it. The only possible scenario I see where a 2 loss Alabama gets in is if they lose to AU, but still win the West and beat UGA. Even then, there will need to be some chaos. A 2 loss, non-champion Alabama is not getting in unless unprecedented levels of chaos happen. 2 years ago we lost 2 and they put us at like 15, and that team was likely better than this year's

I feel like it's the same conversation every year. Everyone freaks out about the rankings that don't matter. The only one that matters is the last one. Almost every scenario will work itself out. I do think Cincy got screwed, not because of where they are necessarily, but by not having SMU and Houston ranked.

i didnt say deserve i said earn and that is beyond redic. so you saying the regular season and results on the field mean nothing? awesome. so it the power 5 invitational then, not anywhere close to a national champion.. i get it you a bama fan so this system with a bunch of ppl with clear biased with their ties to the power 5 and no clue about football pick your team every year regardless the result.. it not a hard job for them at al, it really easy seeing how i can tell you exactly who they will put in every year, it would only be hard if they were unbiased and fair which they clearly are not..

it does matter, they saying unless bama loses 3-4 times cincy has no chance,. they do this sneaky bull shit where teams like mississippi st are ranked despite losing to AAC memphis and having god knows how many losses so they can talk about bama sos which a joke, houston, smu, utsa should all be ranked ahead of mississipu st but that wouldnt serve their purpose. im not freaking out bout this rank, im freaking out cause this rank is the same garbage they always do.. saying what we know already, they go out of their way to legitimize the scam that is calling it a national championship. the fact teams who dont win their conf get in is hilarious, once again deeming the regular season meaningless. if you cant win your conf you cant be a national champion period. of course that would strip bama of how many fake championships? we cant have that.

lmfao.. "it why they not 1".. jfc, if on the field mattered they wouldnt be in the top 4,, point me to their impressive wins please.. not only do they give bull shit ranks to middling sec teams to make this narrative work they then try and legitimize a AM team who played like trash until beating bama, but they beat bama so despite all the proof that says otherwise they must deserve a ranking! lol... it a no lose situation for bama which whatever but it be nice if ya'll could at least admit what it is instead of jump thru hopes to try and justify this nonsense. is it really that hard to be honest?

im not a fan of any team so unlike the committee and fans of sec and big 10 schools i have no incentive to make up redic narratives to support this trash.

i didnt say deserve i said earn and that is beyond redic. so you saying the regular season and results on the field mean nothing? awesome. so it the power 5 invitational then, not anywhere close to a national champion.. i get it you a bama fan so this system with a bunch of ppl with clear biased with their ties to the power 5 and no clue about football pick your team every year regardless the result.. it not a hard job for them at al, it really easy seeing how i can tell you exactly who they will put in every year, it would only be hard if they were unbiased and fair which they clearly are not..

it does matter, they saying unless bama loses 3-4 times cincy has no chance,. they do this sneaky bull shit where teams like mississippi st are ranked despite losing to AAC memphis and having god knows how many losses so they can talk about bama sos which a joke, houston, smu, utsa should all be ranked ahead of mississipu st but that wouldnt serve their purpose. im not freaking out bout this rank, im freaking out cause this rank is the same garbage they always do.. saying what we know already, they go out of their way to legitimize the scam that is calling it a national championship. the fact teams who dont win their conf get in is hilarious, once again deeming the regular season meaningless. if you cant win your conf you cant be a national champion period. of course that would strip bama of how many fake championships? we cant have that.
If Alabama makes it in, they will have earned it relative to the rest of the field. It's not like undefeated P5 teams are getting left out in favor of multi-loss Alabama or Ohio St or whomever. I agree with the G5 argument that it appears there is nothing they can do to make it in, so we should either call it what it is, a P5 playoff, or expand the field to whatever number it needs to be to include a G5 team.

If Alabama makes it in, they will have earned it relative to the rest of the field. It's not like undefeated P5 teams are getting left out in favor of multi-loss Alabama or Ohio St or whomever. I agree with the G5 argument that it appears there is nothing they can do to make it in, so we should either call it what it is, a P5 playoff, or expand the field to whatever number it needs to be to include a G5 team.
No undefeated P5 team should be left out in favor of any one loss team. That would be ludicrous.

I think if bama loses close to Uga they would still get in ahead of cincy. Bama wins the sec I agree they earned their place. Putting them 2 right now is still a joke. They can put them 1 after winning sec and I’m totally good with it. I don’t think loser of conf championship game or a team that didn’t win conf championship should ever get in.

Not sure the point of having conf champions if we give teams who couldn’t win their’conf a chance to be national champions? despite not being champs of a region over course of a season that should be more telling than a single elimination invitational. Imo it really sucks that uga/bama isn’t a de-facto playoff game and is only theoretically important to bama (still not sure it is cause I think they keep a 2 loss bama). The loser of that game clearly can’t be any kind of real national champion!!

I totally disagree. I can absolutely see them putting a 2-loss Alabama team in if there are no undefeateds (and even if Cincy is undefeated). They're already setting the precedent that Bama's loss doesn't matter...why would they drop any further if they lose to #1 Georgia in the SEC ship game?
Agree

All making bama 2 right now does is tell everyone you can’t earn a spot based off your play. Do they have to throw it in our faces what a sham this is? Couldn’t they wait until bama does earn it? They can’t do that tho cause this way it easier to justify keeping Uga in if they lose to bama.

this exactly my beef with bama being put #2 this week, this def what they putting in place with this ranking.. my favorite thing they do is bama cant have a bad loss cause anyone who beats bama automatically vaults up the rankings! kinda a evil genius to it i guess. One these years it be funny to see some out of conf scrub bama schedules to beat them and see that team vault into the top 10 the following week!

this exactly my beef with bama being put #2 this week, this def what they putting in place with this ranking.. my favorite thing they do is bama cant have a bad loss cause anyone who beats bama automatically vaults up the rankings! kinda a evil genius to it i guess. One these years it be funny to see some out of conf scrub bama schedules to beat them and see that team vault into the top 10 the following week!
They had a chance to put a 2 loss Alabama in a couple years ago. They ranked them 13th behind two 3 loss teams. The Danny Kanell reactions are funny because people are freaking out about hypotheticals that have no basis in fact or experience

They had a chance to put a 2 loss Alabama in a couple years ago. They ranked them 13th behind two 3 loss teams. The Danny Kanell reactions are funny because people are freaking out about hypotheticals that have no basis in fact or experience

putting them 2 here sets it up to keep them in, maybe they wont but it def sets up uga staying in if they lose to bama. no basis in fact would be a good name for these rankings!

putting them 2 here sets it up to keep them in, maybe they wont but it def sets up uga staying in if they lose to bama. no basis in fact would be a good name for these rankings!
I'd agree that it helps UGA more than it helps Alabama.

I'd agree that it helps UGA more than it helps Alabama.

unlike what it sounds like VC thinks i dont think it strictly a bama bias, i dont think they necessarily care if it bama, they just want as many sec and big10 teams as possible. just so happens bama is the king ding a ling in the sec so they have to get the preferential treatment to boast the whole conf.. i think they have given osu just as many gifts over the years, the year they got so much credit for beating a crappy wiscy team comes to mind...only reason i come off as attacking bama now is cause we all know they havnt earned the 2 spot as of yet.

unlike what it sounds like VC thinks i dont think it strictly a bama bias, i dont think they necessarily care if it bama, they just want as many sec and big10 teams as possible. just so happens bama is the king ding a ling in the sec so they have to get the preferential treatment to boast the whole conf.. i think they have given osu just as many gifts over the years, the year they got so much credit for beating a crappy wiscy team comes to mind...only reason i come off as attacking bama now is cause we all know they havnt earned the 2 spot as of yet.
Maybe. Or just maybe those teams are better than everyone else most years. It's amazing how lucky the best teams/players/people in all walks of life are

I don't really think it even matters this year. I think Georgia is far and away the best team. Only thing is will Kirby Smart pull a Kirby Smart and slip up? I know not everyone wants the 8 teamer, but I think it ends a lot of senseless debate. Champions of the P5, Top G5 team, then 2 at large. I'm sure we will all complain about those 2 at large too.

Maybe. Or just maybe those teams are better than everyone else most years. It's amazing how lucky the best teams/players/people in all walks of life are

how it luck? getting every advantage, benefit of the doubt, every possible gift, you have to be a real loser to not come out on top.. it the teams and ppl who actually earn things i have respect for. winning is easy when it all handed to you.

how it luck? getting every advantage, benefit of the doubt, every possible gift, you have to be a real loser to not come out on top.. it the teams and ppl who actually earn things i have respect for. winning is easy when it all handed to you.
That's my point. It's not handed out. It's earned. Just because it looks easy doesn't mean it is. Alabama, UGA, Ohio St, Clemson, etc get "lucky" so much because they work the hardest

I hope Cinci gets in at 4. And UGA obliterates them

like they did in the bowl game last year? lol.. uga prob destroy everyone this year so i cant stand the argument cincy would get destroyed, who goes in at 4 that wont be large underdogs to uga?

That's my point. It's not handed out. It's earned. Just because it looks easy doesn't mean it is. Alabama, UGA, Ohio St, Clemson, etc get "lucky" so much because they work the hardest

they dont get lucky, it handed to them. your point is backwards. work the hardest by scheduling little sisters of the poor out of conf! wouldnt ever dare play a cincy in reg season. gtfoh they work harder my ass.

I don't really think it even matters this year. I think Georgia is far and away the best team. Only thing is will Kirby Smart pull a Kirby Smart and slip up? I know not everyone wants the 8 teamer, but I think it ends a lot of senseless debate. Champions of the P5, Top G5 team, then 2 at large. I'm sure we will all complain about those 2 at large too.
You may be right. I'd like to see them face an elite offense at some point though.

8 team won't happen with auto bids. The SEC already said they are out in the scenario, so it's DOA. 12 teams with 6 autos and 6 at-large is where it will land IMO

of course the sec wants 12 cause the point shouldnt be to give everyone a fair chance it should be so we can see 4 middling sec teams in the field!! lol

they dont get lucky, it handed to them. your point is backwards. work the hardest by scheduling little sisters of the poor out of conf! wouldnt ever dare play a cincy in reg season. gtfoh they work harder my ass.
Well then I guess I should just be thankful that I'm a fan of one of the programs that got selected to have everything handed to them. Guess we can stop paying Saban all that money and let a GA run the program

Obviously saban is great, bama is always one the best teams, just dunno why bama fan doesn’t think they should earn it? Is that so much to ask? Everything else already stacked in their favor so at least don’t shit on teams who schedule tough out of conf road games and are undefeated!

Is it really so crazy that we think bama should earn their spot? It not like they won’t have the opportunity, can’t we just insist they beat the good teams in front of them and win sec champ before we crown them the 2nd best team before they beaten any good teams!

Obviously saban is great, bama is always one the best teams, just dunno why bama fan doesn’t think they should earn it? Is that so much to ask? Everything else already stacked in their favor so at least don’t shit on teams who schedule tough out of conf road games and are undefeated!

Is it really so crazy that we think bama should earn their spot? It not like they won’t have the opportunity, can’t we just insist they beat the good teams in front of them and win sec champ before we crown them the 2nd best team before they beaten any good teams!
Who said anything different? When has any team not earned their spot in the playoff? Being ranked second today means nothing. None of the rankings do. You could argue that Cindy’s does, but it’s clear a G5 team is never getting in the top 4, so it’s largely irrelevant. Those conferences knew what they signed up for to get the guaranteed NY6 bid. Sucks for the fans, but they signed up for this

Who said anything different? When has any team not earned their spot in the playoff? Being ranked second today means nothing. None of the rankings do. You could argue that Cindy’s does, but it’s clear a G5 team is never getting in the top 4, so it’s largely irrelevant. Those conferences knew what they signed up for to get the guaranteed NY6 bid. Sucks for the fans, but they signed up for this

It does mean something today because teams are effected by the rank of teams they play, beat, or lose to. That why it bull shit they rank a team like messy state who lost at freaking Memphis, doing so is just their dirty trick so they can then point to sos, when they the ones creating it! Yet teams like smu, houston, and utsa who are all ranked in coaches and ap don’t get ranked so they can say cincy doesn’t play anyone.

Back