2021 CFP Discussion

gps_3

Head of Alabama Department of Decision-Making
First set of rankings come out tomorrow, should give us an idea of what the committee is thinking, especially as it pertains to Cincinnati

Pretty simple at this point...

Bama, Jorja, OSU and then a 4th.

I can't see the 4th being OU or anything ACC.

Let Cincy in the door. This is a weak year, let them go have some fun if they win out. I don't think they would be a cakewalk honestly in the 1-4 matchup.

A thought exercise for the forum. A plausible (though unlikely) scenario could result in this:

Alabama wins out, including over an undefeated UGA in SEC Champ Game
Ohio St wins out
Oregon wins out
Oklahoma wins out
Cincinnati wins out
Wake Forest wins out

Who are the 4? Has to be Alabama, Ohio St, Oregon, UGA, right? I feel comfortable predicting that Cincy and Wake are out. Does OU become the first undefeated P5 to get left out?

Let Cincy in the door. This is a weak year, let them go have some fun if they win out. I don't think they would be a cakewalk honestly in the 1-4 matchup.
Even though they aren't supposed to consider last year, surely Cincy's near victory over UGA last bowl season is in the back of their minds?

OU still has @Baylor, ISU, @Okie Lite, B12 ship

Will be a helluva run if they win all 4, the current form factor would make them pretty sexy

Even though they aren't supposed to consider last year, surely Cincy's near victory over UGA last bowl season is in the back of their minds?
Fickell fucked that game up, and he is solely to blame for the loss imo. I was furious how he choked that fucking game away...and choke is the right word.

If Cin is 3 or lower in initial ranking the committee is setting them up for failure....i,e, they really don't want them in at all.

No Sparty?!

as Bart Scott would say: CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

so interested to see where they put cincy? i think they will put them in the top 4 even if it simply a token gesture, if they make them 2 or 3 i think cincy might have a real shot to get in!! i suspect they put them 4 tho, in that case cincy might as well kiss a playoff birth goodbye cause they will get jumped unless some really crazy things happen!!

i have a real problem with all you ppl putting osu ahead of ducks!! i dont care if ducks havnt looked all that great since then, i just cant in good conscious have osu ahead of them when ducks not only beat them but did so more convincingly than final score would suggest. What has osu shown us since that game that tells us it would go differently? Beating down a bunch of crappy teams doesnt prove that defense would fair any better against ducks zone read. They kinda lucky psu incapable of running the ball (which was why i didnt bet them) or that game could have went different. Maybe and i mean Maybe we can have this conversation again in a few weeks but right now Ducks should be ahead of osu imo.. Unfortunately im afraid you right, maybe not, but even if they put ducks ahead they will still have them jumped at some point, since that harder to explain they prob just put osu ahead of them now.

uga, cincy, bama, ducks or sparty is what it should be imo, then sooners and osu..

unfortunately it be more like this:

uga
bama
osu
cincy

Maybe they will put sooners ahead of osu just so they dont have to start answering questions about osu/ducks yet!! that would be pretty sneaky! for some reason i forgot sparty, shouldnt they be ahead of osu right now? i think they should.. doesnt matter cause they play so they should at least put teams in places they have earned for now, of course with the understanding when all said and done they will give osu their reserved seat as they draw the money!!

For Cincy, it may matter less where they are ranked than how the committee views SMU and Houston. Most years, the initial ranking is pivotal for the G5 team, because they don't have an opportunity to improve their resume moving forward. But if the committee has those other AAC teams in the top 20, Cincy can certainly strengthen their case

IMO:

Win out and they're in: UGA, Alabama, Oregon, Michigan St, Oklahoma
Need to win out and get help: Cincy, Ohio St, Wake Forest

I don't see a scenario where a 2 loss team gets in, but there's still plenty of time for 2007-level chaos

For Cincy, it may matter less where they are ranked than how the committee views SMU and Houston. Most years, the initial ranking is pivotal for the G5 team, because they don't have an opportunity to improve their resume moving forward. But if the committee has those other AAC teams in the top 20, Cincy can certainly strengthen their case

IMO:

Win out and they're in: UGA, Alabama, Oregon, Michigan St, Oklahoma
Need to win out and get help: Cincy, Ohio St, Wake Forest

I don't see a scenario where a 2 loss team gets in, but there's still plenty of time for 2007-level chaos

i dont see any scenario where osu wins the big10 and doesnt get in, in fact there no freaking chance that happens imo. We have seen this story many a time, even tho you would think ducks winning out is problematic for them i doubt it, committee isnt passing on the big10 champ, especially if it osu! it be a real kick in the nuts to the regular season if ducks win out and are behind osu, i think it possible tho, likely even, i doubt ducks win out but im really hoping they do simply to see this play out. They would be making a really bad statement about how meaningless the reg season is if they do this.

Reactions: KJ
i dont see any scenario where osu wins the big10 and doesnt get in, in fact there no freaking chance that happens imo. We have seen this story many a time, even tho you would think ducks winning out is problematic for them i doubt it, committee isnt passing on the big10 champ, especially if it osu! it be a real kick in the nuts to the regular season if ducks win out and are behind osu, i think it possible tho, likely even, i doubt ducks win out but im really hoping they do simply to see this play out. They would be making a really bad statement about how meaningless the reg season is if they do this.
If it is between Oregon and Ohio St for the last spot, and they are both 12-1 conference champions, I don't see the Ducks being left out, even though Ohio St will have the better resume, and I think they are a better team. Surely, the committee won't do that. Surely, right?

If it is between Oregon and Ohio St for the last spot, and they are both 12-1 conference champions, I don't see the Ducks being left out, even though Ohio St will have the better resume, and I think they are a better team. Surely, the committee won't do that. Surely, right?

lol. I agree bout almost all of it, Cept the last part, I think they would do that. After osu beats the Michigan’s I think they will do it. Hope I’m wrong. Honestly doubt ducks win out anyways.

I told you they were gonna fuck cincy kj! These lousy, corrupt, shit bags didn’t even give them any hope! I thought they needed to be 2 or 3 to have any chance, they clearly have none, maybe, and I mean maybe, if all the other schools in front of the lose another game, maybe cincy be 4!! Most likely they just have another dog shit excuse.

How can they put ND 10 then say Cincy ain’t played anyone??? This so garbage. Dunno why I’m mad, I knew it was coming, I did kinda think they at least dangle some hope but guess not. No interest even implying a non power 5 will ever get let into their bogus national championship.

Fresno woulda beat ducks 7 of 10 times! Only reason they didn’t was cause 2 fumbles spotted ducks a 14 point lead in 1st few minutes! But yea ducks who lost to Stanford and generally look like ass against avg teams are more deserving than cincy!!

Shades of 1978, though you are taking the USC position over that of Alabama.

This is the dumbest shit. Why does Cincy even bother to play? Alabama's resume is not very different from Auburn's but they are #2 because they are named Alabama. Just like when they ousted Ohio State for the final spot in the CFP, they always get a pass just for being Alabama. Oregon and OSU jumping undefeated Cincy -- three teams with a good win, but Cincy is undefeated. -- is another exercise in name-gaming and a less excusable one because Oregon plays garbage every week.

They should rename the CFP the "Public Viewership Playoffs"

This is the dumbest shit. Why does Cincy even bother to play? Alabama's resume is not very different from Auburn's but they are #2 because they are named Alabama. Just like when they ousted Ohio State for the final spot in the CFP, they always get a pass just for being Alabama. Oregon and OSU jumping undefeated Cincy -- three teams with a good win, but Cincy is undefeated. -- is another exercise in name-gaming and a less excusable one because Oregon plays garbage every week.

I can think of one difference between Alabama and auburn’s resume

Different era, different rules. Plus they both claim titles from that year
You have it backward. I took Bama's side in 1978. My noting that you're going the other way this time is supposed to compliment your objectivity.

Yep. It garbage. Why is cincy win over a Irish team they made 10th not worth anything? On the road no less, isn’t that win basically equivalent to ducks win at osu? Im with ya on bama but osu gets the exact same treatment over everyone else, they always get benefit of doubt and if they win big10 they always be in.

They should def stop calling it the national championship tho. And they might as well not even play regular season games since it more about your recruits and fan base. Bama being 2 is comical, just shitting on regular season and saying “well they look better to us, results be damned”.

Why should bama be 2nd over sparty? They both whipped mia. Sparty undefeated. It a joke but no surprise, I mean they let ppl directly affiliated with schools and don’t know shit about football pick these teams.

It baffling that instead of letting the results decide this thing we have ppl deciding who they think is better. Do they have any documented proof they great at picking games? If not how they qualified to say who better? Doesn’t matter who I think better, what matters is some teams have earned it and they being replaced by teams who don’t have to earn anything.

The committee is valuing the Oregon win in the Horseshoe more than the P12 vs B1G argument.

I’m not worried bout big12 even tho sooners prob do belong ahead of ducks. Why is ducks win at shoe so valued but apparently cincy win at ND means nothing? Outside those 2 games cincy playing crappy conf teams just like ducks struggling to beat crappy conf teams, only difference is cincy hasn’t lost and of course they not in a power 5 so despite what they say they have no real chance. My point basically being fresno and byu have kinda shown us the pac12 teams ducks struggling with or lost to ain’t any better than few the non power 5 conf that the committee shits on.

Reality is if Clemson's only loss was to Georgia they'd be in there too

This was a concept (I won't ever call it a good one) but the BCS was so much better, at least the arguments and banter was exciting

Now it's nothing but the saturation, unless you're a fan of those blue bloods, who watches it other than for gambling?

Hell I gamble and probably haven't watched the semis or the finals intently since the year Ohio St won it and that's because I cleaned up. Not much desire to watch the same matchups every year while other teams start the season with zero chance of playing for a championship.

Reality is if Clemson's only loss was to Georgia they'd be in there too

This was a concept (I won't ever call it a good one) but the BCS was so much better, at least the arguments and banter was exciting

Now it's nothing but the saturation, unless you're a fan of those blue bloods, who watches it other than for gambling?

Hell I gamble and probably haven't watched the semis or the finals intently since the year Ohio St won it and that's because I cleaned up. Not much desire to watch the same matchups every year while other teams start the season with zero chance of playing for a championship.

They put that crap on New Year’s Eve. I usually don’t pay attention to semi.

Can't think of any other sport where teams or individuals literally have no chance of winning a championship, pro or college

The affinity for FCS is real, been paying more attention this season than normal

I prefer the smaller bowls with the teams who don’t have a chance to participate in the “national championship”.

I want to slap this bitch on espn trying to explain this “process”. The process real simple, those schooos make them most money. It pathetic they say bama easily 2 cause they pass eye test. Lmfao

AAC commish has it pegged, should be called the p5 invitational, certainly not national championship or any words that imply anything other than what it is, a popularity contest. I hate I love football so much and my 2 options the disgusting ncaa anx punk ass nfl! Lol

I want to slap this bitch on espn trying to explain this “process”. The process real simple, those schooos make them most money. It pathetic they say bama easily 2 cause they pass eye test. Lmfao
Just curious, how many teams other than UGA would you put your money on to beat Alabama on a neutral? The whole committee thing sucks, and I agree BCS method was better, but they generally get the 4 teams right at the end.

Back