2019 Free Agency/Player Movement

At the end of the day in a new league of duos, the Dubs (when Klay returns) are gonna be the only team with 3 legit All Stars.

Spot on. Love Russ too but now he has to play off the ball.

Maybe, just maybe he accepts this role. He specifically wanted to go there. A 'ship validates these 2 dudes more than most.

They both need one in the worst way. Both dudes get hated on more than most for their style.

If you're going to seed the top 8 from each league from 1-16 then they need to get rid of the conferences and take the top 16 teams and seed them and even out as best as possible the teams you play. Expand to 36 teams, play the other 35 teams home and away, take top 16 to playoffs.

Yes, what Scarf was talking about was to take the top 16 teams regardless of conference, it wasn’t to take 8 from each conference and rank them 1-16.

Yes, what Scarf was talking about was to take the top 16 teams regardless of conference, it wasn’t to take 8 from each conference and rank them 1-16.

You got it...you just worded it better than I did but this is what I was inferring.

They don’t have anywhere near the room under the cap do they? Ain’t no way that malcontent is taking way less money (like league minimum) to join the Lakers.

It would be a big FU to the league if he took way less money to go to LA especially with how it was the league and Stern that put the nix on him going there a decade ago. Don’t think it’s very likely but can’t completely eliminate the possibility IMO

Where are the Rockets now? Have to be top 3 right? They have a big man in Capela to go with 2 of the top 5-7 players in the league. Easily top 3 for me in the West now, would like to hear some thoughts

I'd put them 3, just based on the clips and lakers load management

In actuality I'd say they are still 5th team imo, 6th behind gsw if klay was healthy

Michael porter Jr hurt his knee again

Hope it's not serious, if he can get healthy and be that guy who woulda gone top 3.....

Nuggets would have a 3 headed monster and insane depth

Maybe, just maybe he accepts this role. He specifically wanted to go there. A 'ship validates these 2 dudes more than most.

They both need one in the worst way. Both dudes get hated on more than most for their style.
Definitely on 2nd paragraph.

Other than having an unreliable jump shot, not being clutch, shooting too much, playing to get fouled too often, being a dickhead, turning the ball over too much and nobody wanting to play with him....I don’t get all the hatred for Westbrook either.

Sure...I’d LOVE him on my fantasy basketball team. But to win a ‘ship!? Never gonna happen with him on a team.

Just my $.02

Other than having an unreliable jump shot, not being clutch, shooting too much, playing to get fouled too often, being a dickhead, turning the ball over too much and nobody wanting to play with him....I don’t get all the hatred for Westbrook either.

Sure...I’d LOVE him on my fantasy basketball team. But to win a ‘ship!? Never gonna happen with him on a team.

Just my $.02

The “nobody wanting to play with him” BS is just that, BS. Outside of Durant, who’s a soft as Charmin douchebag, who hasn’t wanted to play with Russ?

Everyone in the NBA plays to get fouled too often these days, don’t they?

Turnovers? Yep, point guards typically turn the ball over more than most. He seemingly makes up for it by being among the league leaders in steals every year and having more assists than anyone the past 5 years.

Being a dickhead? Based on what?

So yeah, he shoots too much and hasn’t made as many as he should, which makes his volume shooting look that much worse. Seems an easy fix when you’ve got Harden on your team, but we shall see.

The “nobody wanting to play with him” BS is just that, BS. Outside of Durant, who’s a soft as Charmin douchebag, who hasn’t wanted to play with Russ?

Everyone in the NBA plays to get fouled too often these days, don’t they? Turnover? Yep, point guards typically turn the ball over more than most. He seemingly makes up for it by being among the league leaders in steals every year and having more assists than anyone the past 5 years.

So yeah, he shoots too much and hasn’t made as many as he should, which makes his volume shooting look that much worse. Seems an easy fix when you’ve got Harden on your team, but we shall see.

Again, that was all just my opinion. But I find it odd that you primarily picked apart the “not wanting to play with him” thing, because I feel like that’s the most well-known thing I mentioned of all the things I mentioned. Hell, Westbrook has even commented on it before. It’s no secret.

How do I base my opinion of him being a dickhead? I guess the same way that I base my opinion on the rest of the people in this world that I think are dickheads....by how they look, talk and act.

Larry I have to admit I love that you love to argue. Might not agree with your takes always but you don’t come to the table empty handed...makes for a better overall conversation.

Russ is an enigma. We see what kind of player he has been in OKC...but with a second chance to play with a guy whose game he knows and in a situation he knows he can’t play “the OKC way” in and win...think we’re gonna find out how bad Russ wants to win by seeing if he can adapt his game which I definitely think he can...but might be a shot to his ego, stats and brand as a player. Great storyline...Russ as a secondary option and his willingness to do so, cause we know Jimmy ain’t changing. Good stuff.

Again, that was all just my opinion. But I find it odd that you primarily picked apart the “not wanting to play with him” thing, because I feel like that’s the most well-known thing I mentioned of all the things I mentioned. Hell, Westbrook has even commented on it before. It’s no secret.

How do I base my opinion of him being a dickhead? I guess the same way that I base my opinion on the rest of the people in this world that I think are dickheads....by how they look, talk and act.

I think you could quantify half of the NBA as dickheads then, so that doesn’t seem to be saying much.

Russ has said that people don’t want to play with him? I missed that, I’d love to see/read it. Again I’ll ask, outside of KD, who has ever said as much? Outside of the “pundits” on ESPN and other media outlets of course, and we all know those guys don’t know jack shit.

I also didn’t primarily pick apart that one point. I went down each one of them one by one didn’t I? That happened to be the first one, and one that needed more words to convey the point.

Larry I have to admit I love that you love to argue. Might not agree with your takes always but you don’t come to the table empty handed...makes for a better overall conversation.

Russ is an enigma. We see what kind of player he has been in OKC...but with a second chance to play with a guy whose game he knows and in a situation he knows he can’t play “the OKC way” in and win...think we’re gonna find out how bad Russ wants to win by seeing if he can adapt his game which I definitely think he can...but might be a shot to his ego, stats and brand as a player. Great storyline...Russ as a secondary option and his willingness to do so, cause we know Jimmy ain’t changing. Good stuff.

All indications thus far are that Russ full well knows he is joining Beard’s Rockets and is not coming in to make the team his.

Just my $.02

Got to admit EMG, I laughed my ass off with that line right in the middle there...just dropped the old dickhead reference right in the middle of the argument...nice touch...going to have to incorporate that into my posting for sure. :shake:

I dont think the usage will be a huge issue, if anything this should let both rest way more than in the past. They may combine for like 65% usage for the team, but if they stagger it can work. Same way kd and steph did, like the one who's usage went down there was klay, who would be eric gordon on the rockets

All indications thus far are that Russ full well knows he is joining Beard’s Rockets and is not coming in to make the team his.

I agree with you. And watching a “new” Russ will be fucking fascinating especially within the dynamic of that team and how their chemistry affects the entire Western Conference.

Damn is their depth bad tho, just looking at the depth chart tho

Their 3rd big is Isiah hartenstein or gary clark, and that's with PJ tucker counting as the 2nd

They do ok at guard and wing with beard, brodie, gordon, rivers, green

Dont have assets for blake now either, so they gonna lean HEAVY on buyouts

Is there any guys left whod take the min and can play?

Damn is their depth bad tho, just looking at the depth chart tho

Their 3rd big is Isiah hartenstein or gary clark, and that's with PJ tucker counting as the 2nd

They do ok at guard and wing with beard, brodie, gordon, rivers, green

Dont have assets for blake now either, so they gonna lean HEAVY on buyouts

Is there any guys left whod take the min and can play?

Not too sure about anyone who’s left, but if this trade doesn’t happen, would anyone be asking if the Rockets needed to fill out the roster with guys taking the minimum? I don’t know the answer, just asking the question...but nobody brought it up before this trade so I’m curious.

I think that Russ is one of more likable teammates in the league. Where all the talks coming from?!
Oladipo said great things about him, Perkins said great things about him and dissed KD for allowing someone to speak poor of Russ. PG lashed out at the notion that he left because of Russ.
All his Thunder teammates appeared to really like him.
Never I saw one person saying one bad thing about him as a teammate, outside of KD camp and even then...
I'm not talking about style of play or chance to win rings, just a teammate.

CP3 probably going to the Lakers. Thunder will be dumb to keep him and let him poison the young players...

Thunder did such amazing job the past week... not only all the draft picks, but they also managed to the picks not for the next season or two, but 24-26, when no one knows how Clips or Rockets will look...
Amazing...
Don't get why Rockets made this move.

Russ and Harden has the same problems as CP3 and Harden problems. Both need the ball...
Russ is much better than CP3, but will it make Rockets that much better to give up so many picks...
Houston should really hope that some team at some point will buyout Ibaka...

Everyone in the NBA plays to get fouled too often these days, don’t they?

Turnovers? Yep, point guards typically turn the ball over more than most. He seemingly makes up for it by being among the league leaders in steals every year and having more assists than anyone the past 5 years.

What a vast understatement at the end. 30.8% career three-point shooter, sub-30 each of the past two years. With Harden being notorious for bad shooting in the playoffs, it seems hard not to expect an epic brick fest from the two when it matters most

What a vast understatement at the end. 30.8% career three-point shooter, sub-30 each of the past two years. With Harden being notorious for bad shooting in the playoffs, it seems hard not to expect an epic brick fest from the two when it matters most
Russ game has been much different the past few years due to less talent on the team. He wasn't always firing away at 3s.

Harden obviously wanted Russ on his team:
The ability of Harden and Paul to form an effective pairing was widely questioned when the Rockets acquired Paul before the 2017-18 season, and skepticism about the Harden-Westbrook reunion is likely to be even louder, given how much both guards like to operate with the ball in their hands. Harden, however, has apparently convinced Rockets management that he and his former Thunder teammate can share the ball and the shot load sufficiently to make a resurrected partnership work.

I'm sure he will sign for minimum for the Lakers, if someone buys him out - really, almost zero chances he signs elsewhere in such a case in my opinion... As for team with better odds, I can't see any. I believe there 4 - 5 teams with equal more or less chances to win the title this season (depends on injuries, how teams mesh together, who they add to the roster and so on).
The fact that CP3 is one of Bron's best friends, should tip the scale in his favor, if he gets a buyout.
Not to mention that he can't go to Houston, no one will take him back in Clippers, GSW has already too many guards and Portland has their duo.
The only contender that truly needs a guard and he can be a massive boost for their title aspirations are the Lakers...

Btw, is it just my opinion or we can crown Giannis as MVP B2B right now?
Lakers, Clippers, Sixers, Houston - all those stars will probably cancel each other out and sit out many games as load management.
Last year's candidates - Harden and PG - got Kawhi and Russ, so it will be a shocker if they will be able to put up MVP numbers.
Looking at the NBA landscape, Kyrie vs. Giannis??? Maybe Steph, if he manages to carry Dubs to 1 - 3 spots in the West without Thompson?
It's true that Harden managed to get MVP one year and be nominated the other with CP3 on the roster and PG got nominated despite RW, but very hard to see them win...

Gonna be an interesting tug of war atop the west standings. Houston is a bad matchup for the Lakers, Lakers are a bad matchup for the Clippers, Clippers are a bad matchup for Houston. Warriors turning Russell into Covington and Teague or something like that, with Klay coming back in Feb looms large too for a nightmare round 1 matchup for any top seed.

I'm sure he will sign for minimum for the Lakers, if someone buys him out - really, almost zero chances he signs elsewhere in such a case in my opinion... As for team with better odds, I can't see any. I believe there 4 - 5 teams with equal more or less chances to win the title this season (depends on injuries, how teams mesh together, who they add to the roster and so on).
The fact that CP3 is one of Bron's best friends, should tip the scale in his favor, if he gets a buyout.
Not to mention that he can't go to Houston, no one will take him back in Clippers, GSW has already too many guards and Portland has their duo.
The only contender that truly needs a guard and he can be a massive boost for their title aspirations are the Lakers...

76ers and bucks for 1

Denver too

Also still dont see him signing for the min on a team where Danny green makes 15m a year

76ers and bucks for 1

Denver too

Also still dont see him signing for the min on a team where Danny green makes 15m a year
I'm sure he would sign for minimum, but anyway, can't see him playing for the Sixers. If they get ball handler, what will be Simmons role?

I'm sure he would sign for minimum, but anyway, can't see him playing for the Sixers. If they get ball handler, what will be Simmons role?

You’re sure the guy who has forced his way out of everywhere he’s been (outside for Houston where they just wanted him gone because he fell out with Harden), and is THE poster boy for malcontents in the NBA will sign for the league minimum? If I give you my address will you send me some of your drugs please?

Just to recap OKC ridiculous haul for rebuild

In addition to all of their own picks going forward, OKC now has...

2020 Nuggets 1st Rd Pick (top 10 protected)
2021 Heat 1st Rd Pick
2021 Rockets 1st Rd Swap (OKC gets higher of the two picks)
2022 Clippers 1st Rd Pick
2023 Clippers 1st Rd Swap (OKC gets higher of the two picks)
2023 Heat 1st Rd Pick (top 14 protected)
2024 Clippers 1st Rd Pick
2024 Rockets 1st Rd Pick (top 4 protected)
2025 Clippers/Rockets 1st Rd Swap (OKC gets highest of the three picks)
2026 Clippers 1st Rd Pick
2026 Rockets 1st Rd Pick (top 14 protected)

Last edited:

I think he’s a dickhead based on how he treats the media or even the fans. Yes there is an outlier like the jazz fan last year. But there’s plenty of evidence of him being a dickhead for no reason to fans

Back