2016 U.S. Open Draw and Discussion

hmmm have to say I am very impressed with Kerber, I think all of us who have followed the WTA know that in recent memory there have been these "fake" winners. Eg. Bouchard, Ivanovic, Jankovic, and I'm pretty much thinking I have to put Azarenka into this bracket.

Kerber had a massive year but remember, prior to this 2012 was her last solid year and she faded again. I think the main difference is she's 28 and much more mature.

Yes that and I've seen pictures of Kerber from a few years ago, she wasn't nearly as in great shape as she is now. There was a CNN little focus on her this week and she explained a few of her exercises she does daily and said she is spending way more time in the gym now, more muscular now and probably gives her more power and strength to go far in grand slams. Curious to see if she can keep this number one ranking next year lots of points to defend.

Onto the men's final now! Let's see if another with polish origins can win this weekend! (although with Wawrinka it looks like his father is from Germany, grandparents lived in Czechoslovakia near the polish border, that explains the polish name)

Let's go Stan!

Hope Murray asks himself how it's possible that he is tied with Wawrinka for the numbers of Grand Slams titles...!

I was a bit worried when the french guys on eurosport picked Wawrinka in majority to win today before the match, but Stan played solid despite the 1st set loss and was strong mentally, physically to win. I wonder how many Grand Slams Djokovic will end up winning, he has to start to slow down physically soon, or maybe already has a little bit given that Stan looked in better condition while having played twice as much almost.

hmmm have to say I am very impressed with Kerber, I think all of us who have followed the WTA know that in recent memory there have been these "fake" winners. Eg. Bouchard, Ivanovic, Jankovic, and I'm pretty much thinking I have to put Azarenka into this bracket.

Kerber had a massive year but remember, prior to this 2012 was her last solid year and she faded again. I think the main difference is she's 28 and much more mature.

Just have to counter a couple of things, TM..

Kerber won 5 tournaments last year, equalling Serena, she just didn't translate that form into the Slams. So what happened this year is she made a successful translation of that form into Slams (& funnily the price seems to have been an inability to maintain that winning form in non-Slams: she's won only 1 other non-Slam tournament I believe while losing a number of finals & semi-finals).

Azarenka lost 2 titanic USO finals against Serena as well as winning 2 AO's, and then she got injured (& is now pregnant). So there's no way I could agree she's a fraud like Ivanovic, et al. IMO she's the real deal, she's just not got the game that translates to clay or grass, so she's only been a real contender at HC Slams.

-----

Congrats to all Stan backers, it would've been a crime if Nole had won this having to win only 4 matches.

Back