2016 Tennis Season - Discussion Thread

Especially since Mugu got bounced my interest on the women's side became somewhat nil

Especially since Mugu got bounced my interest on the women's side became somewhat nil

Fair enough. We're missing talent like Bencic, she's got the kind of Swiss passion that petulant Hingis had. But the way things have panned out here this year have been horrible. The French was much more watchable overall.

Halep serving first in the 3rd with no USO-like tiebreak to save Keys's ass makes me think the Romanian should deliver here. No excuses if the more experienced & polished player doesn't win.

That style is refreshing in a sport where virtually everyone consistently makes errors all the time to me

I appreciate that pov, but the top 15-20 really aren't as error prone as those outside of that sphere. That's why Fraudwanska consistently makes the 4R & QF stage, because she dodges really top ranked players to that point in Slams, but the moment she meets someone not prone to making a ton of UE, her approach is found out and she's screwed. Except at Wimbledon, again because that low bounce aids her, and the pace of the surface most women can't punish her with because their serves aren't Serena-like.

All about how her power is perceived on grass, but Keys mentally is still unfit in these bigger matches

All about how her power is perceived on grass, but Keys mentally is still unfit in these bigger matches

Yes. And her ground game is nowhere near the level of someone like Halep's who due to a weaker serve lives & dies on her ground game.

And speaking of players you like, Halep is everything Fraudwanska is and more. She & Mugu are my favourite players to watch when they're on. Unfortunately Halep hasn't been on in 18 months.

I like watching Halep and Bencic as well, except when Halep throws one of her tantrums

Keys played like crap the entire tourney IMO. The line just threw me off today

Halep being off her best for so long, people have adapted to her like they have adapted to Lisicki: the moment the German meets someone decent now, people don't hesitate to back against her. They don't fear her producing her best anymore, but her best is still inside of her. Same with Halep. 18 months of rubbish relative to what she showed in 2014 has conditioned people to not fear backing a decent ranked player against her. And to be fair, that conditioning is warranted. Halep has had some utter garbage results against players whose knickers she should've pulled down and stuck a giant dildo up their asses. I was sure she'd win a Slam before Mugu, but she didn't handle the attention that 2014's excellent Slam results got her (she's literally the biggest thing in Romania outside of their soccer players and Olympic big men) and injury soon followed. This match answered a lot of questions. IMO she'll be playing Serena in the final. Graf's only hope of remaining ahead of the Beast lies in her hands.

Shvedova +110? Yes please.

Also looking at Cibulkova +115 and o21.5, Fed/Johnson o35 and Mahut -145. Nishikori -130 on my radar too but Cilic seems to be rounding in to better form so laying off in this spot. Kei good H2H record tho.

at least I hit my big play in Shvedova. Very impressed with her match today. I guess Querrey is for real - impressed with him too. thought there would be a big hangover.

at least I hit my big play in Shvedova. Very impressed with her match today. I guess Querrey is for real - impressed with him too. thought there would be a big hangover.

Unfortunately for me, your attitude to Friedsam is mine towards Yaroslava. But grats on the hit. I should've had something on her.

Unfortunately for me, your attitude to Friedsam is mine towards Yaroslava. But grats on the hit. I should've had something on her.
Thanks, BC. Perhaps it's my perspective on each player in that I've been fortunate to hit several nice spots with Shvedova and been on the unfortunate end on Friedsam in a few spots where she should have rolled. To me, the former is much more mentally strong than the latter.

To me, the former is much more mentally strong than the latter.

That means you haven't backed her in some matches I have. She was up a set & 4-1 in the 2nd and lost on me. You may not have seen it, but she is soft inside. She has the ability to be top 15-20, but because she's soft she's inconsistent, and thus she sits in the rankings where she does (just inside the 100, which is amazing really). But I do like her as a player.

I will say this about Friedsam, she's still young. I don't think she's inherently brittle, she just needs to mature as a person as well as a player. She has the game to be top 20-30.

To me, the former is much more mentally strong than the latter.

That means you haven't backed her in some matches I have. She was up a set & 4-1 in the 2nd and lost on me. You may not have seen it, but she is soft inside. She has the ability to be top 15-20, but because she's soft she's inconsistent, and thus she sits in the rankings where she does. But I do like her as a player.

I will say this about Friedsam, she's still young. I don't think she's inherently brittle, she just needs to mature as a person as well as a player. She has the game to be top 20-30.

very possible

Yaroslava loves playing at Wimbledon, that's now a cemented fact. 2-9 in 11 matches before this Slam, now won 4 straight as a dog, all decent opponents (at least on paper. Even Goerges can be a tough nut on her day, those days are just rare).

Milos might get run out of the building. wow

And my boy Pouille making some noise today. I thought Tomic would win going in but -280 on him was a joke.

Serena struggling on grass to put away the Russian really does show her age.

Both Williams are telegraphing the fact their careers are rapidly nearing their ends.

Vesnina led by 3 games in the 1st & got run down, she led by 3 in the 2nd & is getting run down again. I'm curious about how this result, whichever way it goes, affects their doubles interaction.

Back