2015 Opening Day Player Tracker - Free Agent Signings, Trades, Imports, etc

Nelson Cruz signs with Mariners 4/$57...

the dominoes should fall now...
Did they move the fences in at Safeco, otherwise this could be Richie Sexson/Adrian Beltre all over again....

As for the Jays, seems like a great deal on the surface as Lawrie hasn't been much more than a part time player thanks to all the injuries, but Beane giving up Donaldson seems really curious...

Did they move the fences in at Safeco, otherwise this could be Richie Sexson/Adrian Beltre all over again....

As for the Jays, seems like a great deal on the surface as Lawrie hasn't been much more than a part time player thanks to all the injuries, but Beane giving up Donaldson seems really curious...

Yeah, I don't understand why power hitters go to Seattle at all...unless it's all about the money. It is more than likely Cruz's last contract though, so I guess he doesn't care about hitting a ton of homers to raise his value anymore.

Donaldson strikes out too much and his defense is overrated. Presumably according to Beane, not necessarily according to me. I'll accept strikeouts for power, and I have a soft spot for glove work.

Actually, I should probably take that back about Sexson as he had pretty good power numbers at Safeco during his two productive seasons.

seems like a lot for cruz
I don't mind it cause it sets the bar for OF in terms of price seeing as how Melky was looking for 17 million ish a year....

Everything that Beane does you gotta really look deep into, but I think it's a miss giving up Donaldson. That being said, I do think he's over analyzed his players before but he's Beane so you gotta respect his moves, lately i've figured he was more senile than great but that's just me. Gravemen and Nolin figure to be 4/5/MR as of now, I don't like Barreto's size and Lawrie thinks not being on turf will help him out with his injury, but really if he had a more tempered approach with his intensity he would be fine =p

Yeah, I don't understand why power hitters go to Seattle at all...unless it's all about the money. It is more than likely Cruz's last contract though, so I guess he doesn't care about hitting a ton of homers to raise his value anymore.
In terms of ballpark factor, Seattle is in the middle of the league..I'm not too concerned about his power numbers, won't get 39 again but he'll be higher 20's in terms of homers I bet...probably see his average go up a tick
Donaldson strikes out too much and his defense is overrated. Presumably according to Beane, not necessarily according to me. I'll accept strikeouts for power, and I have a soft spot for glove work.
His glove is one of the better ones in the league IMO, his wrc+ is 129 and we already know about his WAR factor...coming from the Bay to Toronto he's going to love playing in the AL East with the flying balls and short porches

Torii Hunter back to the Twins for a 1 year deal. They never should have let him go. They've missed his leadership ever since he signed with the Angels. Maybe Mauer would've turned out how to be a leader had Torii stayed.

Torii Hunter back to the Twins for a 1 year deal. They never should have let him go. They've missed his leadership ever since he signed with the Angels. Maybe Mauer would've turned out how to be a leader had Torii stayed.
good deal for the twins and a better way for Hunter to retire.

10.5M for a guy at replacement level isn't too good of a deal IMO. Torii is a great guy but jesus he's a liability in the outfield

10.5M for a guy at replacement level isn't too good of a deal IMO. Torii is a great guy but jesus he's a liability in the outfield
I don't mind it, his average was top 20 same with rbi's among OFers..leadership is not tangible...the market is already inflated but guys like quentin, Cuddyer are making 10+

I don't mind it, his average was top 20 same with rbi's among OFers..leadership is not tangible...the market is already inflated but guys like quentin, Cuddyer are making 10+

RBIs were inflated in a good lineup. RBIs mean nothing, they are dependent on who is getting on base ahead of you.

.319 OBP and horrible fielding that is so bad it takes away anything his bat gives you. leadership is not tangible, but neither are at bats for young guys who could progress and actually give you something in the future. would rather play a 27 year old 0 WAR with a hint of potential making the league min (JD Martinez?) and see if he figures it out instead of a guy whos going to give you essentially nothing but take up $10.5M doing it... for a non-playoff team.

nice story ending back in Minny but he's not a good player at all anymore.

JA Happ Traded to the Seattle Mariners for Michael Saunders

and looks like Nick Markakis signed with the Atlanta Braves 4 year deal is the rumor

Sad day in Baltimore. Markakis never put up astronomical numbers but has been a cornerstone in Baltimore for the last decade. They'll miss his leadership and defense. Jones on an island in center now....

RBIs were inflated in a good lineup. RBIs mean nothing, they are dependent on who is getting on base ahead of you.

.319 OBP and horrible fielding that is so bad it takes away anything his bat gives you. leadership is not tangible, but neither are at bats for young guys who could progress and actually give you something in the future. would rather play a 27 year old 0 WAR with a hint of potential making the league min (JD Martinez?) and see if he figures it out instead of a guy whos going to give you essentially nothing but take up $10.5M doing it... for a non-playoff team.

nice story ending back in Minny but he's not a good player at all anymore.

I like Keith Law's take

• That's not the worst deal given to an outfielder this week, however. The Minnesota Twins just flushed $10.5 million on a homecoming deal for Torii Hunter, who was barely above replacement level last year as a bad right fielder who can't get on base, and who reminded everyone about his bad makeup by using a mild expletive to insult a reporter who asked about his homophobic views at the introductory presser on Tuesday. If the Twins felt like bringing back a bad player with views that could create a hostile environment if he should have a teammate who is Yag, they could at least have tried to save some money in the process. But, $10.5 million says, in effect, that 2014 never happened. It did, and at age 40, Hunter is more likely to have a farewell season like Ken Griffey Jr.'s or Derek Jeter's than Will Clark's.

the at bats dont make much sense either

if he takes anything away from Arcia/Hicks or later in the season Buxton it's just bad management

Moss could have gotten us much more than Wendle. If not then hold Moss until the deadline and then deal to a team that needs power. Now the Shark news breaks that we are getting Semien, Bassit and PTBNL. The PTBNL better be a fairly high prospect with hopes it is Anderson. But since we got Barreto in the Donaldson deal I doubt it

Sad day in Baltimore. Markakis never put up astronomical numbers but has been a cornerstone in Baltimore for the last decade. They'll miss his leadership and defense. Jones on an island in center now....

Was this over money? Health? age??

Liriano re-ups with Pirates 3 years $39

Cubs are close to acquiring MIguel Montero

Not sure where the Indians are going to play all their corner infielders and corner outfielders and DH guys. Santana, Swisher, Chisenhall, Bourn/Brantley (whoever isn't in center), Aviles, Raburn, Moss. And most of these guys can't catch it with the best of 'em, only Brantley and Bourn's former self. Can't trade Swish or Bourn, and they will play at those salaries. Tribe needed one of two other guys on the move from the Bay, Panda or Donaldson.

Not sure where the Indians are going to play all their corner infielders and corner outfielders and DH guys. Santana, Swisher, Chisenhall, Bourn/Brantley (whoever isn't in center), Aviles, Raburn, Moss. And most of these guys can't catch it with the best of 'em, only Brantley and Bourn's former self. Can't trade Swish or Bourn, and they will play at those salaries. Tribe needed one of two other guys on the move from the Bay, Panda or Donaldson.

Well it is the Indians?? did you expect anything else? :)

The Indians trade well. They don't draft well, they don't sign well, but they trade well. So this Moss business is probably a good thing.

Gomes and Aviles for Esmil Rogers. A good-hit, good-pop, good-catch, good-arm catcher. Dime a dozen.

Was this over money? Health? age??

Probably both. It was announced right after he signed with Atlanta, that Markakis is going to have surgery on his neck.

Markakis is expected to undergo surgery to repair a herniated disc in his cervical spine, with a recovery time of 8-12 weeks that would keep him in line to start the season.
“Everything, I hear about it, it’s not going to be an issue,” Markakis said of his neck, which is what caused the Orioles to become wary of offering him a four-year deal. I don’t have anything now. It’s just a precautionary thing. We’ll get it taken care of and it shouldn’t be a problem.”

Probably both. It was announced right after he signed with Atlanta, that Markakis is going to have surgery on his neck.
Markakis is expected to undergo surgery to repair a herniated disc in his cervical spine, with a recovery time of 8-12 weeks that would keep him in line to start the season.
“Everything, I hear about it, it’s not going to be an issue,” Markakis said of his neck, which is what caused the Orioles to become wary of offering him a four-year deal. I don’t have anything now. It’s just a precautionary thing. We’ll get it taken care of and it shouldn’t be a problem.”

Geez -- i missed all of this....

meanwhile on the John lester watch ....

B4dAu1wCMAAMehJ.jpg

The Chicago Cubs have won the Jon Lester sweepstakes, with the free-agent left-hander agreeing late Tuesday night to sign with the team.
The deal is for six years and $155 million, a source confirmed to ESPNChicago.com's Jesse Rogers. It includes a vesting option for a seventh year that could bring Lester's total take to $170 million, sources confirmed to ESPN

I think there are a few parts to this story...
This will all come out in the wash - It was Lucchinos idea for the low ball offer during the season and no one likes Lucchino - and every time he speaks he alienates the fan base.... when the sox won the WS 2 years ago, he really only spoke on his weekly appearance on the local radio and even then he was on a leash.... very rarely spoke to the media.. while the years before he wouldn't shut up...
He and Theo do not like each other - this is why Theo is gone....

Cubs offering those extra years was also a big deal - combining that with pitching in the national league (easier outs), former TB coach, and the idea of him being the #1 guy and trying to bring the WS to the Cubs after "x" amount of years.....

Think Sox aggressively go after Cueto..
my .02

the best part was everyone had it at the same time last night, like 5 writers all tweeted it within 10 seconds and 2 said it didnt come out of chicago

meaning Boston spitefully did it

they still need 3 pitchers and it sounds like they aren't in on Sczherer

so they need Shields and then trades

I don't see how Hamels or Cueto dont cost something around Betts or Boegarts, and then they move Cespedes for a pitcher as well most likely

they still need 3 pitchers and it sounds like they aren't in on Sczherer

so they need Shields and then trades

I don't see how Hamels or Cueto dont cost something around Betts or Boegarts, and then they move Cespedes for a pitcher as well most likely

no question there will have to be mlb ready players to get the return they want, unless a team really only wants top prospects, which the sox have a few highly ranked (which really doesnt mean much)

had seen porcello and some one else for cespedas....

Porcello and someone else for Cespedes doesn't sound too good for Boston.

I'm surprised Boston and Cleveland aren't more rumored to be trading partners. Seems like the Tribe has a few guys who can fill out a rotation and the Sox have a few guys who can fill out a batting order.

Cespedes will be a free agent after next year...and a lot of outfielders... some local ports guys are saying cespedes might not get you what everyone thinks he will.....

what pitchers from Cleveland??

I'd imagine, if I'm the Tribe, Carrasco, Bauer, or Salazar could be had for a bat. I like those guys, especially the first and third one.

I'd imagine, if I'm the Tribe, Carrasco, Bauer, or Salazar could be had for a bat. I like those guys, especially the first and third one.

top pitching always hard to find,, and now power bats...
Can tribe win with those guys pitching? do they have anyone to take their place?

wait, what? Porcello is the best player in that deal. I'm hoping to god this doesn't happen. cheap, 25 year old SP whose been on the rise for four years in a row or 30 year old cuban corner OF with a .310 OBP

I'm Boston, Cespedes helps me more this year. I'll worry about next year next year.

I'm Boston, Cespedes helps me more this year. I'll worry about next year next year.

they have way too many outfielders... they also added Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez..

nava, craig, cespedes, victorino, betts, rusney castillo, bryce brentz and jack bradley jr..

they need pitching...

they have way too many outfielders... they also added Sandoval and Hanley Ramirez..

nava, craig, cespedes, victorino, betts, rusney castillo, bryce brentz and jack bradley jr..

they need pitching...

Plus Middlebrooks, they still got that guy, right? They should trade guys, I should probably reconsider my opinion of Porcello. He is young, durable … just not great.

Plus Middlebrooks, they still got that guy, right? They should trade guys, I should probably reconsider my opinion of Porcello. He is young, durable … just not great.

yes middlebrooks... the best thing about him is his Fiance .. (Jennie Dell)

Last edited:
Back