2014 Golf Season

BTW, Craw, got my first ever hole in one last Friday. Was in Zona with some work folks, 160 yard par 3, 1 hopped it in the hole.

Was a little late, definitely dont think the line has value, but taking Rory -135 to win 50. (Small bet) 72 holes

Rory is coming off a win in Australia, and a should have been win a couple weeks ago. He has won here previously. Seems to be trending nicely.
This was rory over tiger obviously, looks like I forgot to mention him in the post. to win the event, the odds would have been a lot better..

watching it now... dead left every time off tee. no fade

Yeah, just read he is now playing a fade (cut) this year as opposed to the draw that most players seemingly play, and he has played in the past. I wonder if that's something he's really had to work at, or if his natural swing leads to a fade and he's now just more comfortable not having to try and hit a draw.

My swing is naturally inclined to produce a fade, so I don't try to learn how to hit a draw and don't worry about it...I just go with what works, and I'm curious to know if Tiger's swing is the same way.

Santa you a big hitter? I'm extremely fit, and rather strong (bench over 300 #bragalert) and only hit mine that far, of course that's probably an issue with my swing not getting enough turn and width to generate any club head speed.

Yeah, just read he is now playing a fade (cut) this year as opposed to the draw that most players seemingly play, and he has played in the past. I wonder if that's something he's really had to work at, or if his natural swing leads to a fade and he's now just more comfortable not having to try and hit a draw.

My swing is naturally inclined to produce a fade, so I don't try to learn how to hit a draw and don't worry about it...I just go with what works, and I'm curious to know if Tiger's swing is the same way.

Tiger has played a fade for most of his career, especially with the driver. It's gotten to the point where he really struggles to control a draw with a driver. Part of the reason he hasn't been able to win at Augusta since '05, because it is a draw course off the tee. Now, if he needs to hit a draw off the tee, he almost always goes with 3 or 5 wood.

Tiger has played a fade for most of his career, especially with the driver. It's gotten to the point where he really struggles to control a draw with a driver. Part of the reason he hasn't been able to win at Augusta since '05, because it is a draw course off the tee. Now, if he needs to hit a draw off the tee, he almost always goes with 3 or 5 wood.

Yup. Hes always hit a "power fade".

Yeah, I guess at some point though, he changed and was trying to hit a draw. At least that what he implied with his comments yesterday, which may have been a thinly-veiled shot at Hank Haney...

"It's my old pattern again. With my last coach it was a push block. We tried to get out of that and go to a cut [a ball that curves from left to right]. It's harder to aim [more to the] right knowing that I've got to cut it."

Santa you a big hitter? I'm extremely fit, and rather strong (bench over 300 #bragalert) and only hit mine that far, of course that's probably an issue with my swing not getting enough turn and width to generate any club head speed.

You were probably addressing me about that 7 iron comment, but I would probably hit a 9 and possibly a PW from 160. I do hit my irons a bit longer than most though.

I would say your strength doesn't have too much to do with how far you're hitting your irons though, it's more than likely what you said and has to do with your swing. You could always close the club face just a bit and get more length if that's what you're looking to do (which I'm not implying you are). Where you have the ball in your stance can also have an effect on how far you hit your irons. I'm sure you know all of this, I just like the discussion and really can't wait to get back on the course so talking about it has to hold me over for now....lol

Yeah, I guess at some point though, he changed and was trying to hit a draw. At least that what he implied with his comments yesterday, which may have been a thinly-veiled shot at Hank Haney...

"It's my old pattern again. With my last coach it was a push block. We tried to get out of that and go to a cut [a ball that curves from left to right]. It's harder to aim [more to the] right knowing that I've got to cut it."

Hank Haney did destroy Tiger's swing. He should never have left Harmon. To be fair, Haney did have to deal with all of Tiger's injuries and personal life issues

You were probably addressing me about that 7 iron comment, but I would probably hit a 9 and possibly a PW from 160. I do hit my irons a bit longer than most though.

I would say your strength doesn't have too much to do with how far you're hitting your irons though, it's more than likely what you said and has to do with your swing. You could always close the club face just a bit and get more length if that's what you're looking to do (which I'm not implying you are). Where you have the ball in your stance can also have an effect on how far you hit your irons. I'm sure you know all of this, I just like the discussion and really can't wait to get back on the course so talking about it has to hold me over for now....lol

Distance is determined by club head speed, quality of contact and angle of attack. How you improve those areas can be endlessly debated, but it all comes down to the club head moving quickly through impact, a center hit, and a shallow angle

Distance is determined by club head speed, quality of contact and angle of attack. How you improve those areas can be endlessly debated, but it all comes down to the club head moving quickly through impact, a center hit, and a shallow angle

Yep, you're spot on. The things I referenced, angle of club face (open or closed) and where the ball is in relation to your stance, will obviously have an impact on what you've said. Just a few millimeters here or there with how/where you're striking the ball on the club face can have enormous consequences. It's amazing when you break down the golf swing how little things can go such a long way you know?

announcers were saying he was aiming well left on the range this morning / last night

and for the record, not a big hitter, battle a slice every now and then, right handed hitting lefty and get ahead and open face when things are bad.

adding that extra wedge to the bag helped me a tonne... probably about an 8 right now.

announcers were saying he was aiming well left on the range this morning / last night

and for the record, not a big hitter, battle a slice every now and then, right handed hitting lefty and get ahead and open face when things are bad.

adding that extra wedge to the bag helped me a tonne... probably about an 8 right now.

My wedge game (and probably putting) is the single biggest factor that improved my game. I carry a 52, 56, and 60 degree wedge as well as a PW, and probably use my 60 degree wedge at least 15 times a round. If I can get to w/i 100 yards, I'm using the 60 and know that I will be putting for a birdie most likely. Or if I miss the green from outside of that distance, I can use my 60 from around the green and get myself a very reasonable par putt. I constantly practice with those wedges...there is nothing better for your game than practice...obviously.

Have you guys read hanks book? I never read, and finished it in one day. The last three books I've read were the dream team book, hanks and nantz autobiography

Very nice Marlo!

7 iron seems like too much club, but I guess everyone is different.

Thanks dudes. It was a 7 iron. Two years ago it would have been a 9 iron. I took lessons all last winter and the one thing I lost was distance. I did greatly improve my scores. So I'll take the trade off

Yeah I'm on Bubba. Good health to all you Webb backers. Webb certainly wins going away in the hot wife contest

Hank Haney@HankDHaney<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">41m</small>
I was kinda thinking that too @idh1116: funny to hear Tiger Woods taking pot shots at u. He's won 0 majors since u stopped working w him!

:faceslap:

If you read Hanks book, you know how sensitive he is to Tiger. He has a whole chapter comparing his numbers with butchs.

Ehh. Kind of glad i stayed away from watson. :shocked: Such a streaky golfer. Only had 3 top 10s last year. Made a lot of cuts, just wasnt really relevant.

Like that one too and have been thinking of adding it. This just made my decision easier. Lets get it.

Duke over Da Points -115 to win 75 :cheers: (72 holes)

[h=1]D.A. Points disqualified for using green spongy ball[/h]http://www.cbssports.com/golf/eye-on-golf/24435920/da-points-disqualified-for-using-green-spongy-golf-ball

grinding_granny.gif

One of the hottest guys on tour, versus a guy making his debut.
Technically, Rose's last event was the WGC-HSBC Champions in mid-November.
“A lot of hard work went into me being here,” Rose said. “It was a race against time to really get back playing and get back strong. And if I'm honest, I've only really been hitting balls, drivers, for about a week, ten days now. So it really has been down to the wire.”
The Northern Trust Open is a trial for next week's WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship. If Rose feels good this week and gets four rounds under his belt, then he will definitely be at Match Play.
But Rose’s focus is quickly turning to Florida – and more importantly the Masters in just two months.
“My immediate focus is just continuing to improve as a golfer and really have the discipline every week to go out and execute my skill set, which I believe is growing and getting stronger every week,” Rose said. “So that's how I'm going to play my best golf. That's how I'm going to contend in majors. Certainly I want to be 100 percent come April.”

Delaet -135 over Rose to win 100 (72)

Taking Rory and Stenson in a parlay to win 200.

Henrik screwed me here a couple years ago, when he teed off and wd after 1 shot, he owes me. Might have gotten a little antsy with the amount wagered, but what the hell..

Taking Rory and Stenson in a parlay to win 200.

Henrik screwed me here a couple years ago, when he teed off and wd after 1 shot, he owes me. Might have gotten a little antsy with the amount wagered, but what the hell..

Very nice w. I didnt see any golf, but I will gladly take the 2 hundie.

Back