2013 Nba offseason news and notes

CASH

Pretty much a regular
Surprised this hasn't been talked about in here.

http://www.boston.com/sports/blogs/...ip_approval.html?s_campaign=ThisJustIn_Widget

As a C's fan, this is great - i actually guessed a 3rd time would have had to get involved... people will say those 2 picks mean nothing because they will be in the late in the round however they are chips that could be used as part of other deals.. and getting anything for a coach is "gravy".... next will wait to see what they do with pierce...

Wasn't this struck down a few days ago?
ya, they wanted bledsoe thrown in as well.... basically both sides stepped away for a day,, and now the rumor is that chris paul is pushing for it and it would help for him to sign long term with the clippers..

Celts also wanted them to take a shitty contract of either lee or terry..good deal all the way around, clips had all the leverage, and they got killed the other day for basically letting this die over a first round pick..

If it assures paul will stay than that is a great thing, but im not sure they are significantly better, prolly get.out of the first round. See what they.can get for bledsoe

yes initially the celts wanted, jordan, bledsoe 2 picks and clippers take a bad contract.....good negotiating all around..ask for as much as you can and see where it leads.. bledsoe now a chip supposedly for howard??
lets see if this deal gets done first..

Chris Paul really wants Doc Rivers to be the Los Angeles Clippers head coach and that apparently convinced the team to go back to the Boston Celtics on Wednesday. The Celtics have been asking for two first round picks and they will probably get it.
<OFFER>
From Marc Stein and Ramona Shelburne: "One source close to the process expressed optimism the sides would reach an agreement in principle by Thursday on the two deals involving Kevin Garnett and Rivers, which the Clippers believe will all but cement the signature of star guard Chris Paul when Paul becomes an unrestricted free agent on July 1. Although sources stressed that final details were still being worked out, one trade would be a straight player swap sending Clippers center DeAndre Jordan for Garnett, with the second move calling for Boston to receive two first-round draft picks as compensation for freeing Rivers from his Celtics contract."

There is also a good chance Paul Pierce will move to the Clippers if the Celtics waive him by June 30 when his $5 million salary protection will increase to $15.33 million for next season.

This roster even with Pierce is not as good as the Celtics have been. Rondo is just as good as CP3 and has won playoff series and battled with the Heat last 3 years. Blake is a terrible "winning" player and now they have zero shot blocking. The Celtics just stole from the Clippers and can build around an amazing young core of Rondo, Bradley, Green, Jordan and Sullinger plus 4 1st round picks in the next 2 years and probably enough cap space to add a max player plans mid range type guy. I also strongly believe that Tommy Tibs was the architect of Rivers' success and every year without him he has been sliding.

I have a hard time seeing the lakers and clips making that trade cashman, tho i.think it makes sense...rumor is that they will never trade griffin..but as we know whatever paul wants, he is getting

Deandre jordan sucks, so not sure how the celts stole from clips..unless two.late first round draft.picks are valuable

so CP3 is pulling off a Deron...what if CP3 just says fuck it i'm out. Or is there a pre written contract that this has to happen?

I have a hard time seeing the lakers and clips making that trade cashman, tho i.think it makes sense...rumor is that they will never trade griffin..but as we know whatever paul wants, he is getting

I agree somewhat, however do you let howard walk and get nothing (if he chooses not to resign) or do you at least do a sign and trade and get something out of it?? no idea what lakers mngmt is thinking..

I think its a good move by both teams! Boston is in rebuilding mode and Doc mentioned he would only stay if they kept the core players. IMO, he's a proven HC and I would take him over Byron Scott anyday.

And Steve Kerr said it best on twitter, "Clips have nothing BUT picks for 30 years. Who cares? A Doc/Blake/CP3 trio, with KG as a mentor? They never had anything like that."

I think its a good move by both teams! Boston is in rebuilding mode and Doc mentioned he would only stay if they kept the core players. IMO, he's a proven HC and I would take him over Byron Scott anyday.

And Steve Kerr said it best on twitter, "Clips have nothing BUT picks for 30 years. Who cares? A Doc/Blake/CP3 trio, with KG as a mentor? They never had anything like that."

could be the best thing for Blake to become a better player on both ends of the floor..

how long is KG gonna mentor him? 1 year?

i feel like the two firsts arent going to be enough for rebuilding for boston. clippers are gonna be good. jordan sucks.

DeAndre Jordan has improved insanely since coming into the league. Guy is a stud on defense and runs the floor like a sprinter. Rondo will love this. And locked in at under 10
mill a year is nuts. His offense is raw but it's not dead. He's already better on offense than Chandler and should be just as good defensively with a good coach.

I have a hard time believing the clippers won't be taking back salary. If they take back lee's deal, wow. Boston is stealing.

I guess in a league with few quality big men he is serviceable, but deandre jordan is no where near a game changer, at least not now

No your right I renig my comments. His FT% with Rondo leaves 10 points on the floor a night. Hard to win that way.

Three things:

1) It would be amazing if CP3 pulls Elton Brand on Sterling.
2) I think it's great deal for both teams. Celtics aren't going anywhere with the current roster. I think that first round exit is the best they can hope for next season. They got bad contracts, aging roster that won't get any younger and the things can only get worse (btw, you can say the exact same things about the Lakers at the moment). That way, they will get rid of two terrible contracts and will get a young, athletic Center that can be perfect next to Rondo and two draft picks that they can turn in to nice things. Don't forget that Davis, Perkins, Jefferson and Rondo - all Boston draft picks.

As for the Clippers, it's pretty obvious. Their goal is the Championship. Right now, they aren't close to it at all. Griffin's attitude is terrible. He is the same as Howard - prefers to clown off instead of getting serious. To be more accurate - unfortunately for Clippers, it's the only similarity between them. Dwight is amazing defender and shot blocker and he can take over a game. Griffin can't do almost anything expect for highlight moves and flops.
I really expected him to have much better mid range jump at this point - something that he just has to add to his repertoire.
KG can be a mentor to Griffin (or he can kick his ass if that won't work) and Rivers actually knows how to get the players to play for him - both are winners and should bring some "bad" in to this team.

On top of that, CP3 wants them and no draft pick or Bledsoe worth losing CP3.

That brings me to the third point:
Boston has Clippers on their knees. Sterling has to be crazy not to sign off on this deal, even if it means to give Jordan, Bledsoe, two draft picks and take back KG, Terry & Lee...
Why on earth Boston backing down?
Also, why two teams that have potential HOF point guards in their prime, fight so badly over very promising, but still, only back up point guard???

I guess in a league with few quality big men he is serviceable, but deandre jordan is no where near a game changer, at least not now
just because..not because he's any good but any reason to show this gif is enough:

deandrethunderdunk_medium.gif

I mean, I can understand this move.

He's protecting a collective bargaining agreement that basically saved basketball in 2011. If you're gonna start breaking it 24 months later, the NBA could end up in another lockout before the decade's out. It was clear in the agreement that they couldn't negotiate trades including coaches contracts. They informed all teams of this a long time ago. The teams figured they'd be able to get around this by breaking it up into separate transactions which would uphold the "letter of the law". But they were wrong. They made two mistakes. First, they underestimated Stern's dickyness. Second, they tried to sneak it in the back door against the NBA's all-time egomaniac/micro-manager.

Would've been a nice deal for NBA fans...isn't that what it's all supposed to be about? :-/

If Rivers wasn't trying to royally fuck the Celtics by saying "don't trade Bledsoe" earlier this week he's all ready a clipper

HEY CASH

I changed this to the Nba offseason thread, let me know if any issues...

NBA offseason is more interesting than the actual NBA season.

Last edited:
  • Adrian Wojnarowski@WojYahooNBA<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">6m</small>
    Clippers, Celtics are agreeing upon a 2015 unprotected first-round pick, league source tells Y! Rivers, Clippers still finalizing contract.

Expand

• Adrian Wojnarowski@WojYahooNBA<small class="time" style="font-size: 12px; color: rgb(187, 187, 187); position: relative; float: right; margin-top: 1px;">1h</small>
    Y! Sources: Los Angeles, Boston nearing agreement on draft pick compensation to allow Doc Rivers to coach Clippers. http://tinyurl.com/mmh37n2

How many times has this "deal" been completed?

Adrian is almost always right, one of very few ones that are.

So all the clips gave up was a first round pick in 2015?

7 milly is quite a leap for cheap ass Donald Sterling

He bailed on Boston, guess we shouldn't be surprised.

How is this being played out in Boston ret?

He bailed on Boston, guess we shouldn't be surprised.

How is this being played out in Boston ret?

ownership is fine with it...most real C's fans are ok with it....they know what has to happen...this team is NOT contending, period

this team is done presently constituted...Danny needs youth and picks and rebuilding has begun....why pay 7 mil to a coach a team that has no future whn u can use that cash for the team in players and development...Pierce, KG and maybe even Rondo is next....Danny is a gambler for better or worse
how do the players buy into a coach who he himself tried to leave a sinking ship....wasnt gonna work
Danny had the leverage and made the deal he had to do and got what he wanted...mostly

im ok wit it...totally

give me Larry Joe Bird or a hunger young coach with passion

How was the deal allowed to be made? Didn't Stern just say that the only thing that can be traded are players, draft picks, or cash? He specifically said that coaches are not allowed to be traded therefore the deal will never happen. Now it happened?

ownership is fine with it...most real C's fans are ok with it....they know what has to happen...this team is NOT contending, period

this team is done presently constituted...Danny needs youth and picks and rebuilding has begun....why pay 7 mil to a coach a team that has no future whn u can use that cash for the team in players and development...Pierce, KG and maybe even Rondo is next....Danny is a gambler for better or worse
how do the players buy into a coach who he himself tried to leave a sinking ship....wasnt gonna work
Danny had the leverage and made the deal he had to do and got what he wanted...mostly

im ok wit it...totally

give me Larry Joe Bird or a hunger young coach with passion

being here, agree with Ret... people are cool with the understanding they need to rebuild...

As far as bailing on boston , don't think he did, i do believe this was all in the plan with Doc and Danny but it happened a year earlier than they expected..
Danny knew doc was wanted by many teams and knew it was going to take a few years for the C's to rebuild, Danny nice a new job of protecting his asset(years and dollars) and now able to gain assets by trading him. Doc was either going to an established team or broadcasting,, no rebuilding..

that worked out great for Boston btw

they can get way more than DeAndre for Garnett if they choose to trade him

The Rivers deal sealed up CP3. Hard to imagine that Rivers would go to the Clips without that assurance.

KG has a no trade clause, so that does limit the Celts somewhat

This is a done deal. Is this a good hire for the nuggies?

yeah, I think so. . P. Jackson vouches for him, but POP thinks Mike Brown is a great coach, so doesn't necessarily mean Shaw will be good just cause P. Jackson thinks he will be.

Still don't u/s why the Nets passed on him for Kidd

Dave Joerger will become the next head coach of the Grizzlies according to Kevin Arnovitz of ESPN.com.

Joerger spent many years coaching in the D-League before becoming Lionel Hollins' defensive coach over the past four years -- a time in which the Grizzlies' defense improved significantly. Joerger is the exact opposite of a splashy hire, but given his familiarity with the team and his experience coaching in general it's a good time for Memphis to give him a shot.

Back