2008 cfb -- time to post my week 9 card so far

I dont disagree UVA has improved since the first few games but again its all about situations . They had 3 straight games with favorable situations on top of being Home . They catch Maryland off the win @ Clemson and lets not forget the Terps are not the DD fav type of team losing SU @ Mid Tenn State , ECU is living off its 1st two games vs VaTech and WVU but just like UVA they built a reputation at home and got overvalued when traveling (nearly lost @ Tulane , lost @ NCST who I think was winless and @ Maryland ) , then catch NC off two wins at home UConn and ND that were misleading in some form plus lost start WR Tate . Nice wins for sure but not impressive because teams were in bad spots playing a team who done nothing in 2008 .

Put it this way real simple. They were 3 pt dogs at Duke and played okay but losy by 4 TDs who GTech happened to just handle Duke at home laying 2TDs .

UVA wont score much here and may setup some short fields . UVA is ripe IMO for a loss especially when you look at how medicore they played vs ECU and UNC.

Anything under 2 TDs presents a ton of value IMO for GT.

AT -12 somehow these teams are -8 on a neutral field ? No way in hell I see that . UVA has improved but have not performed on the road . WIth that in mind you would expect them to be undervalued while here they are to cheap with -14 to -17 being closer to realistic IMO ......Even last year a much worse version of GT was -3.5 @ UVA an dlost a close game ....

Even more Miss State is a version of UVA and they lsot 38-7 as 7pt dogs ....

UVA at home had 275 yds of offense this week (68 plays !!)and 27c-58yds rushing. On the road you always need to run the ball to protect a young QB and just dont see it happening here . Plus GT with that crap game vs GWebb at home will want to makeup for that .

The Cavs wont score more then 14 here IMO and probably struggle to get 10 pts . They have improved but with that they have lost value .....

1 month ago +13 at home to Maryland = +21 @ Maryland . Sure it was a bad number and spot but they would be +14 @ Maryland today IMO at a minimum . GT is better then Maryland and all recent opponents .....

Definelty one of my strongest plays of the week . This line is off a good FG or so ...

Basically my disagreement with you is judging there improvement at home vs overrated , inflated and poor situational opponents as indicative of who UVA is . If I can talk you off anything this would probably be one of those ..

Improved YES but factored in has to be there opponents and what type of lines thet recieved. Its what made CAR such a clear play in the NFL today . People talked up the Saints but there play looked great because it was at home vs SF and OAK but as small favs -4.5 and -7.5 ....:shake:

Alright fair enough. I am not arguing that i think virginia wins this game more times than not , just cover it more times than not.

Ok now lets look at georgia tech for a second because I was having a conversation about this team earlier Sunday prior to lines coming out as I was discussing the gt/Clemson game from last week where I bet the gt side. Feel a little fortunate to get out of that game alive at the TERRIBLE number that I got it at. But what I want to discuss is my general feeling about this GT team ….. That they are a team that I want to play as a dog but not a team that I want to lay a lot of points with. I think people are a tad giddy about this team right now and I don’t think they are built to cover big spreads. They play the defense for it , no doubt .. But the offense is a grind it out type offense and has just one game where I feel they went to town on their opponent and that was a home game to Mississippi state. I will get back to that game in a few minutes. The thing is that Nesbit and dwyer have been taking a beating and anyone watching the Clemson game saw how many tough hits they took. That is starting to wear on these guys. GT is not making big plays , and the offense simply does not produce at the level that I would ever want to lay this number with against a decent conference rival.

Check it out…. From most recent game back to start of year………also any averages may be a week behind because of my favorite source not being currently updated to reflect Saturday action…..

At Clemson ……. 12 first downs 298 yards. They scored 14 offensive points , 7 came form a defender falling down. BTW GT was out first downed in this game. SCORED 14 offensive points

Gardner-webb …9 first downs 199 yards ( played third string qb though ) ..still gardner webb .. Where is the blocking ?? Btw gard webb is decent run defense. Btw GT was out first downed in this game. GT scored on a 79 yard pass play ….they had 120 yards of offense if they drop that pass. SCORED 10 offensive points

vs. duke ……21 first downs and 454 yards. Basically wore duke down as duke couldn’t get a first down. Gt scored 17 in foruth quarter to win 27-0. Hardly inspiring offense in my opinion and I certainly prefer Virginia rush defense to that of duke. SCORED 27 offensive points.

vs. missst ….23 first downs and 500 yards….. Dominated missst defense but I think missst defense is different on the road … see latech , Tennessee. BTW gt was out first downed in this game. SCORED 38 offensive points

At VT …….. 18 first downs and 387 yards of offense. Sort of the most impressive game offensively in some ways …. SCORED 17 offensive points.
At boston college 12 first downs 235 yards … BTW they were out first downed in this game too. SCORED 17 offensive points.

Ok ,,, so if you look at this team over its last 6 games they averaging just under 16 first downs per game ….which is near the bottom of the country. Now , I will grant GT backers that Virginia defense more resembles the duke and miss st defenses that GT had success against but this is not the type of offense that produces tons of points. And Virginia rush defense has been getting better. They gave up 3.5 a carry up to unc who averages 3.6 a carry , they gave up 2.2 a carry to ECU who averages 3.6 a carry , they gave up 3.8 a carry to Maryland who averages 4.8 a carry …….. GT averages just under 5 yards a carry.

So while GT may very well hold Virginia to 14 points .. Why should I assume that GT scores more than 24 ???? And if it is 27 or 28 to 14 in the fourth I am not exactly out of the game either…. Backdoor is definitely possible.

I am not sleeping on the GT defense which is one of the best units going right now but I would find it very tough to trust the offense to score enough to cover large numbers like this one. Also note that the offenses that GT has seen already are not any better than what Virginia brings to the table. I think Virginia is believing a little right now and is excited a little right now and that this game is definitely worth a stab at 11 or more.

NEBRASKA-----Baylor won 38-10, Nebraska won 35-7 over Iowa State. Okie St. held Baylor to 32 rushing which was key I think they get over 100 on Huskers.
AUBURN-----Not seeing this like everyone else, I think it's pretty even. WVU has not played 1 real good rush defense to date yet Auburn while good have shown can be run on some. Not buying whole SEC angle here Auburn is an average team in any conference IMO.
VIRGINIA---Line looks off here I see Cavs having real trouble scoring but maybe GT as well. Not surprised by GT blowout
MISSOURI---love this one. kill every team that doesn't dominate them in the run game.

NC STATE---wouldn't back this team hardly ever.
NATI---I think Kelly is the type of coach that can get his team up to face a one faceted team that is a great great run team and get his boys up to stop it.
OREGON----look at the pass yardage they have given up, that disparity will trump Oregon's run advantage. IMO Oregon overrated as well, see them about like Stanford where ASU won.

<!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->

the baylor win over iowa st was at home and the nebraska win was on the road against a team that plays much differently home and away. Baylor also falls into this category. Arnaud is a nice prep for griffin and people are onto him more than earlier in the year i think. Nebraska is off of two stellar road performances at texas tech and then at iowa state ( which sort of impressed me given demoralizing ot loss at red raiders ) and now they return home after losing their previous two home games to VT and missouri. GREAT situational spot for nebraska in my opinion. Offense is completely humming right now and the defense seems to be getting better. Baylor has been getting blown out by anything that looks like quality competition.

WVU having problems scoring on average and below average defenses. pat white is wussy. period. guy is a heartless player , a bad leader and a TERRIBLE passer. If he plays .. cough cough ... and if he does for how long ?? cough cough .... he doesnt worry me in the least. WVU hasnt seen anything close to resembling this defense ... the best defense they have played is rutgers for heavens sake. Auburn much more tested. Also think the bye week benefits Auburn a lot more here. Tigers fine tuning adjustments to offense which not only makes them more prepared but also means Stewart doesnt know entirely what to expect ... which brings me to tuberville vs stewart with both having a bye to prepare .. ummmmm can you get a bigger coaching mismatch than this ?? maybe but not by much. auburn might struggle a tad to score as well but i like their chances of creating more turnovers and i like having the 3.5 in a game totaled at 38.

virginia i am going over ad nauseum .. likely on an island with this play ... GT treating peoples wallets great but i dont trust their offense and dont think anyone else should either to lay that number.

ncstate -- exactly. ncstate is bad so we know maryland doesnt show up.

nati -- agree. stop brown and win the game .... kelly really knows how to make his players play physical and hard and challenge them. Edsall is good too , just think cincy has something brewing right now.

oregon 00 i am looking to fade ASU in any reasonable spot. They are a bad football team. Not average. Bad.

good points. I'll get to working on my card probably not sharing alot. Leaning Penn State to win in the Shoe.

Baylor has been blown out by Wake with Kirby Freeman then Oklahoma and Okie State who are top 10 nationally. UConn they might of should of won.

other thoughts----Iowa State looks alot like USC at home, like Iowa looks like the Steelers.

Threet > White.

Good stuff gents. Real quick its late and I am tired of football.

VK- Clemsons defense is better then UVA;s would say alot better as well plus Nesbitt 1st game back. Clemson is still a good deal better then UVA. Does that mean Clemson wins @ UVA probably not but they are still favored at least 6 pts there .

I agree I dont want to lay big numbers with certain teams and any team who plays soild defense and can run the ball is always great to back as a dog .

Problem is UVA has not proven to be decent on the road . They were TD dogs @ Duke and lost by 28 producing 3 pts and +10 dogs @ UConn producing 10pts . Yes , they have improved alot since then but problem os those spreads were also soft at the time because no one really expected or realized the Cavs to be so bad . That USC game has no part in my thinking on UVA really no game from before Duke does . So even though UVA was +7 @ Duke they probably should have been more which even at 7 they are still weaker then Duke who was crushed At GT as 13,14 pt dogs . So even UVA has improved chance are those games were lined a good 4 pts to cheap and would probably be about the same if those teams met today as UVA's improvement would bring then back down.

1- Clemson's defense is better then UVA 's and Clemson home defense is much better then UVAs road defense

2-running stats are skewed for the defense and 1st downs are overrated IMO because game situations fluctuate so much its hard to pinpoint what an acceptable number is IMO....

Maryland RBs 18c 72 yds but Terps running game overrated IMO as there guys are decent but not special and wide margin maybe gets them away from the run , ECU 25c 127yds if we disniss the 1c 1yd effort and 13c -26 yds for Pickney , same deal with UNC 42c 174yds without the 1c 1yd and QB factored in ....

Like I said I dont disagree much but UVA could very easily score 3 or 7 here and I know GT will break 20 ...plus the INT factor . Verica had 1 TD to 7 ints w/o the Maryland game ....

I just think again put UVA @ Clemson and they are +17 so while GT win was not impressive the fact they closed as small favs and covered was ....Miss State and Duke +7 and +13 were outscored 65-7 in GT .....

Even looking at the Duke game what strikes me is the Blue Devils played @GT the week after beating UVA at home , GT had afreshman at QB , in the 1st H went 68 yds and fumbled inside the 10 , went 69 yds and TOD inside the 30 , went 61 yds stalled at the 2 , and then time expired . So 3-0 at half but yds were 250-50 , wasnt till 10 minutes to play where Duke really entered GT territory , vet QB Lewis had 97 yds passing that game ....

the GT offense has left some points off the board and that is a concern but on the surgace I am comfortable with 24-10 type game but expect 31-7 ....

Actionman - I jumped into to early bro . I had FIU +9 , +11 and +13 but only made a few bucks as I locked it in to early and couldnt resist tagging a few bucks more at those levels with about half at +9 ......:cheers:

UVA @ Uconn 382 yds rushing with a mobile QB....Peerman has really helped the offense but ECUs defense has been shredded past month ...only 44 rds vs UNC

Also with Baylor vs Iowa State think that was the game after Kansas were Iowa State blew the big lead making it a real flat spot for them ......

I know some people will laugh at me when i say this ....... but i thinkt here is a chance that iowa is the best team in the big ten. Not a great chance that they are ... but its possible. They gave away a couple of games they should have won outplaying pitt , michst and nw in defeat. i think wisconsin lost there as it was a bad spot to face a team that was going to smack them in the mouth and stuff their running game. shonn greene is a stud rb that no one ever mentions but by years end he will have heisman like numbers that are BETTER than javon ringers.

Just saying that getting their ass completely kicked by iowa on the road is not as bad as some might think.

I disagree...they shouldnt have won at pitt. There was no bullshit call, there was no spectacular turnover. In fact Pitt should have won by more, in the 2H Pitt kind of started dominating. They couldnt stop Mccoy, this game ignited his season.

Good stuff gents. Real quick its late and I am tired of football.

VK- Clemsons defense is better then UVA;s would say alot better as well plus Nesbitt 1st game back. Clemson is still a good deal better then UVA. Does that mean Clemson wins @ UVA probably not but they are still favored at least 6 pts there .
I Do not disagree with this at all. Clemson defense is not just a little bit better than uva , it is a lot better and as you say ..... even moreso on the road vs clemson at home. I think clemson would have a very good chance of beating uva in virginia but i also think that clemson would have had a much better chance of being prepared and beating GT had they not had all those distractions. At what point do i just make the decision that GT is exactly who they have shown themselves to be ?? a Great defensive team with a great coach who struggles to score.

I agree I dont want to lay big numbers with certain teams and any team who plays soild defense and can run the ball is always great to back as a dog .
agreed

Problem is UVA has not proven to be decent on the road . They were TD dogs @ Duke and lost by 28 producing 3 pts and +10 dogs @ UConn producing 10pts . Yes , they have improved alot since then but problem os those spreads were also soft at the time because no one really expected or realized the Cavs to be so bad . That USC game has no part in my thinking on UVA really no game from before Duke does . So even though UVA was +7 @ Duke they probably should have been more which even at 7 they are still weaker then Duke who was crushed At GT as 13,14 pt dogs . So even UVA has improved chance are those games were lined a good 4 pts to cheap and would probably be about the same if those teams met today as UVA's improvement would bring then back down.

I certainly would not make duke -7 now to uva. put that line up again and i will bet virginia. Also , as far as GT dominating duke ... they did but still managed just 27 points while holding duke to 9 first downs and zero. Almost as dominant as they are capable of and still needed a 17 point fourth quarter to cover.

1- Clemson's defense is better then UVA 's and Clemson home defense is much better then UVAs road defense
No disagreement with this statement

2-running stats are skewed for the defense and 1st downs are overrated IMO because game situations fluctuate so much its hard to pinpoint what an acceptable number is IMO....
Disagree strongly with this statement. First downs and ypp are two extremely successful indicators of future results. Strongly disagree. For GT do the situations you refer to occur almost every single game ? And what are thsoe situations ?

Maryland RBs 18c 72 yds but Terps running game overrated IMO as there guys are decent but not special and wide margin maybe gets them away from the run , ECU 25c 127yds if we disniss the 1c 1yd effort and 13c -26 yds for Pickney , same deal with UNC 42c 174yds without the 1c 1yd and QB factored in ....

Like I said I dont disagree much but UVA could very easily score 3 or 7 here and I know GT will break 20 ...plus the INT factor . Verica had 1 TD to 7 ints w/o the Maryland game ....

I am assuming a negative 1 turnover ratio here but gt has been really bad with turnovers all year. Verica might make a mistake against a defense as strong as GT but i also like peerman ball security. i think gt breaks 20 too ... 23 -17 or 24-17 type of game.

I just think again put UVA @ Clemson and they are +17 so while GT win was not impressive the fact they closed as small favs and covered was ....Miss State and Duke +7 and +13 were outscored 65-7 in GT .....

Even looking at the Duke game what strikes me is the Blue Devils played @GT the week after beating UVA at home , GT had afreshman at QB , in the 1st H went 68 yds and fumbled inside the 10 , went 69 yds and TOD inside the 30 , went 61 yds stalled at the 2 , and then time expired . So 3-0 at half but yds were 250-50 , wasnt till 10 minutes to play where Duke really entered GT territory , vet QB Lewis had 97 yds passing that game ....

the GT offense has left some points off the board and that is a concern but on the surgace I am comfortable with 24-10 type game but expect 31-7 ....

Just want to say again ... if virginia is +17 at clemson , sign me up for a cavaliers bet.

Actionman - I jumped into to early bro . I had FIU +9 , +11 and +13 but only made a few bucks as I locked it in to early and couldnt resist tagging a few bucks more at those levels with about half at +9 ......:cheers:

:tiphat:

I disagree...they shouldnt have won at pitt. There was no bullshit call, there was no spectacular turnover. In fact Pitt should have won by more, in the 2H Pitt kind of started dominating. They couldnt stop Mccoy, this game ignited his season.

I watched the game and i think we must have been watching different games ..........

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=gamehead><TD colSpan=3>Team Stat Comparison</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left> </TD><TD>
2294.gif
</TD><TD>
221.gif
</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>1st Downs</TD><TD>19</TD><TD>13</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>3rd down efficiency
</TD><TD>4-17</TD><TD>3-15</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>4th down efficiency
</TD><TD>1-1</TD><TD>3-3</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Total Yards</TD><TD>361</TD><TD>259</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Passing</TD><TD>203</TD><TD>129</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>Comp-Att
</TD><TD>19-34</TD><TD>11-25</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Yards per pass
</TD><TD>6.0</TD><TD>5.2</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Rushing</TD><TD>158</TD><TD>130</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Rushing Attempts
</TD><TD>39</TD><TD>37</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Yards per rush
</TD><TD>4.1</TD><TD>3.5</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Penalties</TD><TD>2-14</TD><TD>2-17</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Turnovers</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>2</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Fumbles lost
</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Interceptions thrown
</TD><TD>0</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Possession</TD><TD>34:48</TD><TD>25:12</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

pretty impressive road performance by iowa in my opinion. Pitt basically converted every chance into td ... iowa settled for 3 fg attempts and only made two. just disagree with your assessment of that game both from a "my own eyes" perspective and from a boxscore perspective.

vk, i dislike iowa because of their qb play...doubt the stats back me up but i'd rank their qb play in the bottom tier of the big10. also their defense is kind of inconsistent...it's tough but at time looks very vulnerable for whatever reason. overall they have a pretty good d and a very solid running game. i'd still have a hard time putting them top 3 in the conference though.

nice hit on the bucks...glad you were so right there. never saw that beatdown coming...the way that team was in disarray and all that was going on this week, i think you can attribute that strong performance entirely to coaching. somehow tress had his team prepared on the road in a tough environment despite everything that was going on. i'd like your perspective on this game if you get a second....although for some reason i doubt i'm going to like it hahah.

looks like we'll have an entirely different slate of games this week...gl to ya

vk, i dislike iowa because of their qb play...doubt the stats back me up but i'd rank their qb play in the bottom tier of the big10. also their defense is kind of inconsistent...it's tough but at time looks very vulnerable for whatever reason. overall they have a pretty good d and a very solid running game. i'd still have a hard time putting them top 3 in the conference though.

nice hit on the bucks...glad you were so right there. never saw that beatdown coming...the way that team was in disarray and all that was going on this week, i think you can attribute that strong performance entirely to coaching. somehow tress had his team prepared on the road in a tough environment despite everything that was going on. i'd like your perspective on this game if you get a second....although for some reason i doubt i'm going to like it hahah.

looks like we'll have an entirely different slate of games this week...gl to ya

i dont want to spend too long defending iowa as they are a cash cow for me so the more under the radar the better hehe. But i dont get the hate for this team stemming all the way back in the preseason. Who do you rate as better than iowa ???

pennstate -- fine , no real disagreement there.
tosu -- fine , i suppose iowa would have to prove it.
northwestern -- no way. if had to bet my life on a neutral this is easy iowa selection. dominated them but gave it away. iowa showed me hey were better.
michigan st -- roflmao .. not even close. lol.
minnesota -- ???
illinois -- i am betting iowa next week almost assuredly. hope i somehow get points.
wisconsin -- eh. i dont think so. pretty good effort by iowa agaisnt these guys but i suppose it was a bad spot for wiscy
purdue-- ??
indiana -- ??
michigan -- ??

Who are you rating as stronger ??? and if its illinois does that mean i am getting 4 or more points next week ?? yum yum.

qb play is definitely a concern but ferentz decided to go with stansi kid and that cost the team some wins with his inexperience at protecting the ball. No doubt this is the weakness of the team. There are quite a few qb's in the conference who are better. But i dont think there is a better back in the conference than shonn greene. he will have the best numbers of any runner in the big ten this year. TAKE THAT beanie and javon.

Will have some thoughts on the pennst/tosu game later in the week. Not a game i am looking to play. pennst is a more complete football team but tosu is turning some corners right now and winning in the shoe is no easy thing to accomplish. offensive line play for tosu is key to the game if the turnovers are even. play big and tosu wins , get dominated and pennst wins.

Iowa statistics. All of these stats are even more impressive when you look at iowa schedule to date.

First downs for 21.3
First downs against 16.3
That is a WOW stat for handicapping.

Avg yards per rush for 5.01
Avg yards per rush against 3.30

Avg yards per pass 7.6
Avg yards per pass against 5.7

Avg points for 29.9 ( and they have left a lot off the scoreboard )
Avg points against 11.5

Just cannot figure out why people arent loving this team right now.

MSU beat Iowa..how are they not better? Sure, Iowa could have kicked FG's to win, but coaching has something to do with how good a team is, and I'm not a big Ferentz fan. I agree though, If they are getting points next week it should be a decent bet.

MSU beat Iowa..how are they not better? Sure, Iowa could have kicked FG's to win, but coaching has something to do with how good a team is, and I'm not a big Ferentz fan. I agree though, If they are getting points next week it should be a decent bet.

not just fg's but bad unforced turnovers. i watched that game and had a ml parlay with emich and msu 50 bucks to win over 2k. And it was a bad beat. fumble at mich st 13 , int at michst 4 , fumble at own 15 or thereabouts , failed on two fourth and shorts where fg wins the game. And this game was in michigan , not iowa.

<TABLE class=tablehead cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3><TBODY><TR class=gamehead><TD colSpan=3>Team Stat Comparison</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left> </TD><TD>
2294.gif
</TD><TD>
127.gif
</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>1st Downs</TD><TD>19</TD><TD>15</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>3rd down efficiency
</TD><TD>4-12</TD><TD>4-13</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>4th down efficiency
</TD><TD>0-2</TD><TD>0-0</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Total Yards</TD><TD>309</TD><TD>275</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Passing</TD><TD>158</TD><TD>184</TD></TR><TR class=oddrow align=right><TD align=left>Comp-Att
</TD><TD>15-22</TD><TD>13-24</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Yards per pass
</TD><TD>7.2</TD><TD>7.7</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Rushing</TD><TD>151</TD><TD>91</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Rushing Attempts
</TD><TD>39</TD><TD>34</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Yards per rush
</TD><TD>3.9</TD><TD>2.7</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Penalties</TD><TD>2-30</TD><TD>4-29</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Turnovers</TD><TD>3</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Fumbles lost
</TD><TD>2</TD><TD>0</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left>Interceptions thrown
</TD><TD>1</TD><TD>1</TD></TR><TR class=colhead align=right><TD class=bi align=left>Possession</TD><TD>30:09</TD><TD>29:51</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Have to get some other work done today but will be back later to give any responses to any posts in here.

Great discussion going already this early in the week , should make for a good thread gang.

talk to ya later.

Iowa has been a cash cow for me as well so I might be biased but I thought they completely outplayed Michigans State. Time and again they moved deep into Spartan territory without getting points. Maybe Iowa will continue to shoot itself in the foot like they have most of the season, but all I know is we have benfited from 3 bad lines the past 3 weeks with the Hawkeyes and I, like Kyle, will be hoping for some others this year. Iowa is the 3rd best team in the Big 10 imo.

Good stuff VK . As usually we basically agree with slight variations .

1) Duke @ UVA - Agree here again though its clearly tough for you to expect that , I suppose given the late night back and forth on a message board . UVA played well @ Duke but again the ultimate problem was failure to make plays . The game got away from them in the 2nd H . UVA had Duke on teh ropes a tad in teh 1st H but Duke finally got it together before half . Remember because I had Duke -6 that day and UVA impressed with there effort leading me to believe they were about turn things around . I dont think there is much difference bewteen the two teams at this point . I would probably make Duke -1/ -1.5 on a neutral field and somewhere in the -4 to -6 range probably closer to -4 now because Peerman did not play if I am correct . So remember Duke was winless in what 25 ACC games before the UVA win just to equate what type of team UVA is NOW . They have improved but still are an ACC bottomfeeder is my point . Duke has played a fairly tough schedule as well and in that tough schedule they were only +3 at home vs Miami and +13 @ GT while being favored vs Navy . Its quite the difference from being +13 , +6.5 and +4 at home to teams who are Weaker then Miami U and GT . I think thats lost in your analysis and something I rely heavily on in all sports . What does a line say to me or what does it imply about the teams playing? How did the game line up situationally and how was viewed by the betting public ( Not in terms of percentage's but rather how did they view the line more so). What happened to produce the outcome that day when they played. So while Duke hasnt looked good past 2 weeks there opponents have to be accounted for as well as how they were lined .

As for as the GT game vs Duke we have to account for the fact they had a freshman QB making his 1st start . So how does a backup QB equate into the outcome . One would have to believe the offense runs smoother with its starting QB and that could have led to the 1st Q miscues which as the game wore on they corrected . Also the line had to be discounted some for that . So its not black and white IMO ..

2) the Yds PPL and 1st downs can be a good indicator but you also have to relate situational analysis into it . What type of field position did they have ? Poor starting field position with alot of 1st downs can be good because it showed they could sustain drives or it could show while they moved the ball at crucial times it failed to make that key play to extend the drive . Where as team could have good starting field position and be limited in the amount of 1st downs they can have especially if they had big plays or quick scores . Further if there was a big lead the 1st downs could still be exaggerated in the sense they picked up some meaningless ones late . With yards PPL I am not an average guy . I hate the word acg actually I prefer to look more for the "Mean" number . The number that seems to continualyy pop up . Does a guy get 6 YPC because he was getting 3 and 4 then had 1 or 2 big runs to skew the avg yardage Or did he really get 5,6,7,8yds a clip and have a legitimate good day Or did they get 5,6,7 yds a clip and then see its watered down because they just ran the ball late to kill clock and he picked up 2 or 3 yds a clip .......stats are very easy to manipulate . So while they are good indicators the raw avgs of them doesnt really equate to anything specific IMO . It has to be broken down . Obviously the same for QBs as well ....thats why DRIVE LOGS real important to look at . See what type of situations the teams were in . Where they good on 3 rd down because they kept it 3rd and 2 all day or poor becuase they were 3rd and 8 all day ....

3) Good point about Peerman's ball security but again if he cant run the ball and he struggled vs a decent UNC unit that puts more pressure on Verica to make plays or feel like he needs to . Which is tougher on the road then at home to do . So bad sign the running game struggled and tends to be a bad indictor to have a struggling run game when you have a young QB on the road . Those 3rd and 6's are tough to pick up when its obvious you are passing ...I disagree strongly with thinking UVA gets to 17 in a competive game . They had 3 all game at home vs UNC , the week before they got 2 big runs by Peerman in a short span to give them a quick 14 pts but skew the scoreboard . As for GT there is no doubt they break 20 IMO its do they break 30-35 IMO?

4) As for Clemson being 17 vs UVA no doubt in mind they are . Wouldnt make CLemson a good bet because they issues but from expecting what would a line would be no doubt IMO they are right around that . One week Maryland steals the game late @ Clemson as 11 pt dogs the next week Maryland goes to UVA as 13 pt favs . Thats a tremendous GAP in spreads . Now obviously the line @ Clemson was a tad hgh biut not by much they just allowed Maryland to hang around while I cant see Maryland going to UVA tmrw and being any lower then -4.5 but would expect closer to a TD . So UVA is gonna easily be 2 TDs @ Maryland as well IMO if they played tmrw ...

5) Yes GT has been mistake prone but at what point do we overlook the Qb situation and defenses they played against ? They played @ Clemson , @ Vtech and @ BC winning 2 of 3 . Those are all very good defenses . So at what point do we credit the opposing defense for some GTech's offensive mistakes along with the Qb situation . Nesbitt was out for awhile and has to return @ CLemson not that easy . If Duke is the worst defense it played then the Blue Devils defense has hung tough vs a pretty solid schedule . Throw in Miss State's defense and there hasnt been a bad defense in the bunch yet . Would say UVA's defense is about the same quality as Duke's. Probably better but hard to know looking at the road play for certain IMO . Look what GT did offensively with a backup QB that day ? Sloppy and still got 27 which makes me think gonna be tough for them to get less then 27 here ..

As for shitting on Duke as a team there was alot of Duke love here on the site and to Dukes credit they led at half and led 24-14 early 3rd Quarter. Once Miami pulled ahead 28-21 with about 3 to play in the game the Blue Devils UNRAVELED quickly ! allowing 3 TDs on short fields which is really what killed them all game(field position battle) . 28 , 55 and 46 were the length of Miami's last 3 drives which skewed the game . Even before that they went 45 , 69 , 68 on 3 plays and 59 on the go ahead score . Dule had 11 plays 80 yds and 11 plays 77 yds in the 1st H . So in the end Duke probably should have close to the opener about TD dogs hosting Miami .

Anyway I love GT near -10 and feel basically the same at -11-120 . UVA mustered 3 pts from a team due for a letdown and due to lose a close game even thouugh they outplayed UVA this time . Teams with somewhat weak offenses that lack bigtime playmakers like Miss State and Duke socred 7 combined pts @ GT . UVA is in that class . The offense will improve with NEsbitt playing consecutive games IMO and be in the same situations it was vs Duke and Miss State with less miscues IMO ..think GT gets 27-35 here and 14 or less for UVA ....would really like -10 here even -9.5 -130 because I would be very comfortable with a guessestimation of 20-10 ..

We are on the same path . I just think the line is short and better to back teams especially good teams of games they won but could have played better . Rather then seeing them play a near perfect game .

last week Pitt jumped out only a FG @ Nvay this week it was GT laying just -12 ....Especially knowing there was a ton of GT money last week who had to sweat a little . Agree Clemson was in a tough spot with what went on but think they are a talented team who was backed into a corner and responded after half . At the moment one of my stronger plays this week and thats about all I can add..

Also realize Nesbitt has played basically1 drive at home so far to evaluate him. He pulled his hammy ona 21 yd run on the opening drive vs Miss State and as you said went with theer 3rd stringer vs GWebb . Playing these crap teams midsason almost always produce a close game no matter what the program is . Teams approach it is a scrimmahe running basic offense and defense doing enough to just win and survive IMO. Unlike the early season meetings when teams are looking to set the tone for an upcoming season . So Josh Nesbitt's play has been @ Clemson , @ VaTech and @ BC ......damn tough schedule wouldnt you say ??

@ Clemson GT had 7 possessions starting @ there own 40 or better .
Punt , Punt , FG miss apprx 50yds , fumble inside the opposing 40 , TOD at the 50, @ Clemson 43 lost yardage and punted then finally getting a TD in the last try . Imagine if UVA allows that field position to GT .

@ VaTech the Jackets were +140 yds and lost by 3 pts. key plays opening drive fumble near the Vatech 30 , late fumble before half near there 45 up 10-7 gave VT a short field with 1:10 before half. To there credit the home team punched it in to go up 14-10 . The late 3rd Q while moving the ball Nesbitt was picked near the VT 40 which again credit the home team as it produced a FG drive . Then 17-10 the Jackets came right back and scored to tie it.

@ BC again they had ball security issues but again very good defense . 1st H 2 fumbles including on near the BC 40 after starting at the BC 44 . Think the 3rd Q is crazy insane . BC 29 ,32 , and 27 starting field position in that Q alone and they managed 3 pts with kust 1 of 3 FGs . Missing from 48 and 41 yds but scary they didnt take advantage still @ BC tough defense , young QB making his 1st road start , new coach , new offense , etc....

Important how they hold teams to FGs as well ...3fgs(all inside the red zone) / 1td @ BC , @ Hokies 2Fgs and 2 TDs( 1 43 yd drive) but the Fgs from 21 and 25 keeping them out of the end zone in the 2nd H , Miss State moved the ball but 0/4 in the red zone thats to mistakes and the TD was in teh 4th Q and only 49yd drive ...Duke shutout .....team is crazy tough inside the red zone IMO and they always get good field position in games......

GT has certainly been flawed but I think with UVA the type of team they make more plays against ....:cheers:

Stanzi is alot better than Christiansen. Stanzi is a pretty solid qb IMO.

I think Iowa is probably even with with Penn State atop the Big Ten in the rush department. They stop the run on defense. Stanzi and DJK and Moeki and Stross they have some wide receivers but lack some explosiveness still. I think the weakness of Iowa is pass defense. Wisky exposed that. I think Pitt deserved their win over Iowa moreso than Michigan State. I think Pitt/Iowa would be really pretty even if they played multiple times. Iowa wins more times than not vs. Northwestern and Michigan State.

I think Penn State and Illinois rate ahead of Iowa in the Big Ten. Illini should really pass on them. Iowa matches up well with Ohio State, so put Hawks 3rd and Bucks 4th

Kudos on your past Saturday success.
I am a late rather than early decision maker, but Auburn was one I decided on moons ago.
GL

Good stuff VK . As usually we basically agree with slight variations .

1) Duke @ UVA - Agree here again though its clearly tough for you to expect that , I suppose given the late night back and forth on a message board . UVA played well @ Duke but again the ultimate problem was failure to make plays . The game got away from them in the 2nd H . UVA had Duke on teh ropes a tad in teh 1st H but Duke finally got it together before half . Remember because I had Duke -6 that day and UVA impressed with there effort leading me to believe they were about turn things around . I dont think there is much difference bewteen the two teams at this point . I would probably make Duke -1/ -1.5 on a neutral field and somewhere in the -4 to -6 range probably closer to -4 now because Peerman did not play if I am correct . So remember Duke was winless in what 25 ACC games before the UVA win just to equate what type of team UVA is NOW . They have improved but still are an ACC bottomfeeder is my point . Duke has played a fairly tough schedule as well and in that tough schedule they were only +3 at home vs Miami and +13 @ GT while being favored vs Navy . Its quite the difference from being +13 , +6.5 and +4 at home to teams who are Weaker then Miami U and GT . I think thats lost in your analysis and something I rely heavily on in all sports . What does a line say to me or what does it imply about the teams playing? How did the game line up situationally and how was viewed by the betting public ( Not in terms of percentage's but rather how did they view the line more so). What happened to produce the outcome that day when they played. So while Duke hasnt looked good past 2 weeks there opponents have to be accounted for as well as how they were lined .

As for as the GT game vs Duke we have to account for the fact they had a freshman QB making his 1st start . So how does a backup QB equate into the outcome . One would have to believe the offense runs smoother with its starting QB and that could have led to the 1st Q miscues which as the game wore on they corrected . Also the line had to be discounted some for that . So its not black and white IMO ..

2) the Yds PPL and 1st downs can be a good indicator but you also have to relate situational analysis into it . What type of field position did they have ? Poor starting field position with alot of 1st downs can be good because it showed they could sustain drives or it could show while they moved the ball at crucial times it failed to make that key play to extend the drive . Where as team could have good starting field position and be limited in the amount of 1st downs they can have especially if they had big plays or quick scores . Further if there was a big lead the 1st downs could still be exaggerated in the sense they picked up some meaningless ones late . With yards PPL I am not an average guy . I hate the word acg actually I prefer to look more for the "Mean" number . The number that seems to continualyy pop up . Does a guy get 6 YPC because he was getting 3 and 4 then had 1 or 2 big runs to skew the avg yardage Or did he really get 5,6,7,8yds a clip and have a legitimate good day Or did they get 5,6,7 yds a clip and then see its watered down because they just ran the ball late to kill clock and he picked up 2 or 3 yds a clip .......stats are very easy to manipulate . So while they are good indicators the raw avgs of them doesnt really equate to anything specific IMO . It has to be broken down . Obviously the same for QBs as well ....thats why DRIVE LOGS real important to look at . See what type of situations the teams were in . Where they good on 3 rd down because they kept it 3rd and 2 all day or poor becuase they were 3rd and 8 all day ....

3) Good point about Peerman's ball security but again if he cant run the ball and he struggled vs a decent UNC unit that puts more pressure on Verica to make plays or feel like he needs to . Which is tougher on the road then at home to do . So bad sign the running game struggled and tends to be a bad indictor to have a struggling run game when you have a young QB on the road . Those 3rd and 6's are tough to pick up when its obvious you are passing ...I disagree strongly with thinking UVA gets to 17 in a competive game . They had 3 all game at home vs UNC , the week before they got 2 big runs by Peerman in a short span to give them a quick 14 pts but skew the scoreboard . As for GT there is no doubt they break 20 IMO its do they break 30-35 IMO?

4) As for Clemson being 17 vs UVA no doubt in mind they are . Wouldnt make CLemson a good bet because they issues but from expecting what would a line would be no doubt IMO they are right around that . One week Maryland steals the game late @ Clemson as 11 pt dogs the next week Maryland goes to UVA as 13 pt favs . Thats a tremendous GAP in spreads . Now obviously the line @ Clemson was a tad hgh biut not by much they just allowed Maryland to hang around while I cant see Maryland going to UVA tmrw and being any lower then -4.5 but would expect closer to a TD . So UVA is gonna easily be 2 TDs @ Maryland as well IMO if they played tmrw ...

5) Yes GT has been mistake prone but at what point do we overlook the Qb situation and defenses they played against ? They played @ Clemson , @ Vtech and @ BC winning 2 of 3 . Those are all very good defenses . So at what point do we credit the opposing defense for some GTech's offensive mistakes along with the Qb situation . Nesbitt was out for awhile and has to return @ CLemson not that easy . If Duke is the worst defense it played then the Blue Devils defense has hung tough vs a pretty solid schedule . Throw in Miss State's defense and there hasnt been a bad defense in the bunch yet . Would say UVA's defense is about the same quality as Duke's. Probably better but hard to know looking at the road play for certain IMO . Look what GT did offensively with a backup QB that day ? Sloppy and still got 27 which makes me think gonna be tough for them to get less then 27 here ..

As for shitting on Duke as a team there was alot of Duke love here on the site and to Dukes credit they led at half and led 24-14 early 3rd Quarter. Once Miami pulled ahead 28-21 with about 3 to play in the game the Blue Devils UNRAVELED quickly ! allowing 3 TDs on short fields which is really what killed them all game(field position battle) . 28 , 55 and 46 were the length of Miami's last 3 drives which skewed the game . Even before that they went 45 , 69 , 68 on 3 plays and 59 on the go ahead score . Dule had 11 plays 80 yds and 11 plays 77 yds in the 1st H . So in the end Duke probably should have close to the opener about TD dogs hosting Miami .

Anyway I love GT near -10 and feel basically the same at -11-120 . UVA mustered 3 pts from a team due for a letdown and due to lose a close game even thouugh they outplayed UVA this time . Teams with somewhat weak offenses that lack bigtime playmakers like Miss State and Duke socred 7 combined pts @ GT . UVA is in that class . The offense will improve with NEsbitt playing consecutive games IMO and be in the same situations it was vs Duke and Miss State with less miscues IMO ..think GT gets 27-35 here and 14 or less for UVA ....would really like -10 here even -9.5 -130 because I would be very comfortable with a guessestimation of 20-10 ..

We are on the same path . I just think the line is short and better to back teams especially good teams of games they won but could have played better . Rather then seeing them play a near perfect game .

last week Pitt jumped out only a FG @ Nvay this week it was GT laying just -12 ....Especially knowing there was a ton of GT money last week who had to sweat a little . Agree Clemson was in a tough spot with what went on but think they are a talented team who was backed into a corner and responded after half . At the moment one of my stronger plays this week and thats about all I can add..

Also realize Nesbitt has played basically1 drive at home so far to evaluate him. He pulled his hammy ona 21 yd run on the opening drive vs Miss State and as you said went with theer 3rd stringer vs GWebb . Playing these crap teams midsason almost always produce a close game no matter what the program is . Teams approach it is a scrimmahe running basic offense and defense doing enough to just win and survive IMO. Unlike the early season meetings when teams are looking to set the tone for an upcoming season . So Josh Nesbitt's play has been @ Clemson , @ VaTech and @ BC ......damn tough schedule wouldnt you say ??

@ Clemson GT had 7 possessions starting @ there own 40 or better .
Punt , Punt , FG miss apprx 50yds , fumble inside the opposing 40 , TOD at the 50, @ Clemson 43 lost yardage and punted then finally getting a TD in the last try . Imagine if UVA allows that field position to GT .

@ VaTech the Jackets were +140 yds and lost by 3 pts. key plays opening drive fumble near the Vatech 30 , late fumble before half near there 45 up 10-7 gave VT a short field with 1:10 before half. To there credit the home team punched it in to go up 14-10 . The late 3rd Q while moving the ball Nesbitt was picked near the VT 40 which again credit the home team as it produced a FG drive . Then 17-10 the Jackets came right back and scored to tie it.

@ BC again they had ball security issues but again very good defense . 1st H 2 fumbles including on near the BC 40 after starting at the BC 44 . Think the 3rd Q is crazy insane . BC 29 ,32 , and 27 starting field position in that Q alone and they managed 3 pts with kust 1 of 3 FGs . Missing from 48 and 41 yds but scary they didnt take advantage still @ BC tough defense , young QB making his 1st road start , new coach , new offense , etc....

Important how they hold teams to FGs as well ...3fgs(all inside the red zone) / 1td @ BC , @ Hokies 2Fgs and 2 TDs( 1 43 yd drive) but the Fgs from 21 and 25 keeping them out of the end zone in the 2nd H , Miss State moved the ball but 0/4 in the red zone thats to mistakes and the TD was in teh 4th Q and only 49yd drive ...Duke shutout .....team is crazy tough inside the red zone IMO and they always get good field position in games......

GT has certainly been flawed but I think with UVA the type of team they make more plays against ....:cheers:

I guess at this point we are not really evaluating the situations much differently as we are just slightly disagreeing on the quality of the teams. I think i probably just have a higher regard for uva than you and you have a higher regard for GT than i do. I have cashed on GT twice at BC and at clemson. It's not like i despise the team , just disagree as far as value and really disagree about what we should expect them to score. Can they get to 35 ? of course... just think it is not as likely a an outcome as some others. I feel very condifent in what GT is. Very confident. They have shown exactly what they are in my opinion. it's virginia that poses some questions. if uva is really a different team on the road then i may have some problems. if uva plays more like the team at uconn or home to usc then i really have a problem. if uva plays like they have the last 4 weeks , i feel i have a great chance to win the bet. wish you luck on the week but hope gt doesnt cash hehe.

Iowa has been a cash cow for me as well so I might be biased but I thought they completely outplayed Michigans State. Time and again they moved deep into Spartan territory without getting points. Maybe Iowa will continue to shoot itself in the foot like they have most of the season, but all I know is we have benfited from 3 bad lines the past 3 weeks with the Hawkeyes and I, like Kyle, will be hoping for some others this year. Iowa is the 3rd best team in the Big 10 imo.

yeah if you watched the game there was little doubt who the better football team was that particular day. michigan st found a way to win though. lets cross our fingers and hope we get some points at illinois.

Stanzi is alot better than Christiansen. Stanzi is a pretty solid qb IMO.

I think Iowa is probably even with with Penn State atop the Big Ten in the rush department. They stop the run on defense. Stanzi and DJK and Moeki and Stross they have some wide receivers but lack some explosiveness still. I think the weakness of Iowa is pass defense. Wisky exposed that. I think Pitt deserved their win over Iowa moreso than Michigan State. I think Pitt/Iowa would be really pretty even if they played multiple times. Iowa wins more times than not vs. Northwestern and Michigan State.

I think Penn State and Illinois rate ahead of Iowa in the Big Ten. Illini should really pass on them. Iowa matches up well with Ohio State, so put Hawks 3rd and Bucks 4th

i agree that stanzi is a better qb than christensen but i also think that had christensen been playing in the michst and nw games that iowa doesnt make the big unforced errors ( difference in experience and senior ) that cost them the games.

i agree that the pitt game would pretty even if they played multiple times at pittsburgh. In iowa the hawkeyes win a lot more times than they lose.

i love iowa matchup against illinois. looking for anything close to fair in that game. i will get it and bet iowa.

i dont think illinois has done one damn thing to warrant being considered in iowas class.

tosu and pennst have.

Kudos on your past Saturday success.
I am a late rather than early decision maker, but Auburn was one I decided on moons ago.
GL

yeah , gonna be a crazy environment but auburn is used to that every week in big SEC games anyway. glad you agree.

Wisky in bounce back mode at home getting points.:smiley_acbe:..

Look at Wisky's schedule folks.. They are much better than this line suggests.. Got manhandled in Iowa City, as expected from this capper but line over adjusted IMO.. Illionis favored in Madison? Come on.. Likely be top unit for me..

And VK, agree Iowa is a definte look next week coming off a bye and absolutely edged in nearly all matchups v. Illinois.. Keep the Iowa secret quiet VK.. It only helps us:cheers:

I'd like to here your reasoning on the Ducks. I initially leaned that way, but haven't yet pulled the trigger.

ok have a lot to like here with the ducks but what i like about this game is that i think i get a big edge in perception creating line value. I will get intot he matchup aspects and the QB aspects ( there are a lot of unknowns in that regard ) of this game later in the post. I really believe that oregon has become somewhat of a forgotten team at this point despite being a very solid team. But the real perception value that i see is that ASU is a BAD football team. Not above average like most people think , not average like some think ... but BELOW AVERAGE ...BAD. Yet they still get lined as if they are a half decent team. This creates value in the line that we receive. One thing that i like to take note of early in the week are the spots where the early movement favors the road favorite. A lot of sharp bettors stay away from road favs altogether so when the early money is on one , we should be taking notice of the game. Now , lets take a look at the matchup.

What i love here is that i get a dominant rushing team vs an average rush defense when oregon has the ball. The ducks can simply make average run defenses look terrible. Oregon averages 275 a game or so on the ground and there is little reason for me to believe that they fail to run it on ASU. The flip side is not so good. Only SMU and sdsu are running for less yards a game than ASU. read that last sentence again. ok read it again. Now , lets cut them a little slack as they have faced georgia , cal and usc on consecutive weeks leading into the bye before this game. But there is a reason why they don't run well ....their best back herring has been banged up and the offensive line gets dominated every week. dominated. Guess what gang ... oregon has a dominant defensive line as well. Against the run they are giving up roughly 102 yards a game and 2.76 yards a carry. DL Reed and tukuafu have combined for 23 tackles for loss this year. Just a huge edge in the trenches on both sides of the ball for oregon. With the run team i dont have to worry abou wind or elements either. ASu is giving up 2.33 sacks a game and oregon is getting 3.43 sacks per game defensively .. so if ASU is relegated to pasing a ton they are in for a long night up front. Oregon is finally getting healthy again as roper should see a lot of action this week and i believe there might be a hidden angle in this game as it relates to oregon last season and this season. It involves qb injuries and a trip to Arizona last year that ruined their national title hopes. As you may recall oregon was cruising and then dixon got hurt early in the wildcat game a year ago and it basically dashed their dreams. Now this year they have been suffering through qb injury after qb injury and where do they have to travel ?? yup back down to arizona .. sure its the sun devils this time but i think the team can see the parallels between the two seasons and the spot here and can be motivated. What is motivating ASU at this point ?? They are 2-4 in a year where some ( not me ) people thought they were pretty damn good. They are going to struggle to have any chance at bowl eligibility. The leader of the team , Carpenter is banged up pretty bad and nursing an ankle that might hinder his mobility some which is death when facing the oregon defensive line unblocked. Also concerned about the mindset of the sun devil fans who if you visit a lot of the boards , you will see they seem to have given up on this team. So i dont think that they get their normal hfa here either.

When all is said and done football games come down to blocking , tackling and motivation and i think oregon wins all three of those categories. In addition , i feel that oregon has the potential for more explosive plays as well.

Always a concern to lay road chalk but i felt this was a good spot.

I always feel like I should have to pay to read this thread each week...great job Kyle and crew...

Alright i am going to do my weekly recaps of last weeks games. I am doing it a tad different as i usually go from worst capped to best capped ,,, this week i am going to do it based on final score differential compared to line i bet.... again from worst to best. Basically i had a great week and want to brag about it.

Uconn at Rutgers over 43.5 final score uconn 10 rutgers 12 line differential -21.5
-- I think i mentioned in my thread last week that i felt if i could just get 600 yards of offense here that i would feel pretty good about my chances. Well , i got 646 yards but it didnt work out for me anyway. What happened was both teams moved the ball but bogged down in the red zone and the kickers went a combined 2 of 6 on fg. I actually don't feel too bad about this bet but it is probably one i would leave on the table the next time if i had to do over after watching the game. Only two td scored and there was never a point where it looked to me like it would win. With neither team punching in early td's it made for a more conservative game the rest of the way and neither team fell behind enough for some favorable scenarios for over bets. oh well.

south carolina +3 , final score lsu 24 scar 17 , line differential minus 4.

It's going to sound strange but i don't think that i capped this badly at all. i knew exactly what the concerns for this game would be .. SC turnovers and sacks allowed. Unfortunately , i wasnt expecting 6 damn sacks and for them all to be important. lsu was the better team with 22 first downs to sc 16 , and a 109 yard advantage in total offense. i still feel ok today about this bet for several reasons.... 1. because i know the situation dictated clearly a bet on s. carolina.
2. because all the concerns that i had going into the game came to fruition and i still almost covered or atleast pushed this game. Just block a defensive lineman or pick up a blitzer now and then please ... 17-10 halftime lead getting +3 i just didnt want to be shutout in the second and felt i would have a great chance to win ... i got shutout. lsu wore down the gamecocks a little as the game wore on. no regrets on this bet.

virginia tech +3 , final score VT 23 boston college 28 , line differential minus 2

Of my three losers this is the one i feel i was most wrong about. boston college dominated the vt offense. They held the jokies to 14 first downs and 240 yards of offense. I have a ton of stuff to say about this game as it played out but want to make clear before i do so that i am not saying that i should have won this bet. i was on the wrong side as i benefited from 2 interception returns for td and my offense never crossed the eagles goalline once. With that said there were some bad coaching decisions in this game from beamer. At the beginning of the fourth quarter down 28-20 beamer elected to go for it on fourth down and 1 in fg range. Ok, i dont particularly have a problem with that decision ( in that situation kicking or going for it are about equal options in my mind.. np ). His play selection was terrible and they failed. With about six and a half minutes remaining he decided to kick a fg on 4th and 14. OK i get that it was bad distance but this team had not scored a td all night and he kicked this knowing he would still need a td later in the game. i cant stand this decision with limited time remaining when he decided to go for it with tons of time remaining. its stupid coaching. Again want to be clear that i was lucky to even be in this game at all so not saying it was a bad beat at all. But i want to elaborate on some misconceptions about VT football and how beamers choice to pull the redshirt off of tyrod taylor was terrible. eh .. i will make a separate post about VT , beamer , taylor/glennon and one of the biggest misconceptions of the last year and a half regarding VT special teams. i want to finish the recaps.

georgia tech -2 , final score GT 21 clemson 17 , line differntial plus 2

Not very happy about this game and other than the vt game , this game made me the most angry on saturday. I was mostly angry at myself for not betting this sunday night when i liked the game originally. a lot of guys i know had +4 , +3 and the like and i ended up having -2. Well the game sat 17-14 in the fourth quarter and that really made me mad. As far as the game , it was my worst capped winner. I benefited from 6 clemson turnovers , one of which gt returned for a td. gt had jsut 12 first downs and did nothing offensively at all. One of the two offensive td was the result of a db falling down on defense and resulting in the game deciding td. Very fortunate to have cashed this game. Certainly feel i had the south carolina game capped much better as a loser than this as a winner. would not bet this again.

miss st at tennessee over 35,5 , final score tennessee 34 miss st 3 , plus 1.5

whoops this should be above the previous game in the listing but 0h well. Got a tad lucky here as tennessee poured it on late with 3 fourth quarter tds as the miss state defense did its normal " iam too tired to tackle on the road" trick. In my defense there were two missed fg in the game but the realityis neither offense did much most of the game. 464 total yards and 29 combined first downs. Not the bmbers i prefer to see when betting an over but it was also a 35.5 so that has to be considered. Also made me very happy that i bet this game early in the week .. i believe it closed 37 ... so that was nice. Sort of the opposite feeling i had with the gt game. Price has seemingly mattered in atleast one game a week that i have been involved with ... sometimes to my detriment * maimi florida * and sometimes to my benefit like here.

Nevada -19 , final score nevada 44 utah state 17 , line differential plus 8

Game went much as expected though utah state had slightly more success through the air than i expected. nevada was minus 2 in turnovers but still maanged 190 more yards of offense. Any time i can win vs the spread by more than a td when i lose the turnover battle by two i feel pretty good about the bet. Another game where i was happy to have the -19 as it sat 20 a couple of times late before nevada had an int return for a td to make the lead 27. Would bet this again in a heartbeat as utah state did far better passing that i thought they could , won the turnover battle on the road vs a running team and i still covered. loved that game and still love that bet.

Arizona pick , final score zona 42 cal 27 , line differential plus 15

First i want to say that this game was officiating consistently poorly in my favor. It takes a pretty bad officiating job for me to notice it when i am on the receiving end but it was going to be very difficult for cal to win this with the way the game was being called. lots of missed penalties on zona and never missed any that cal committed and zona benefited from calls in key spots as well. Down 24-14 at halftime before zona exploded for 28 in third quarter to take control of the game. Grigsby was benched after fumbling and antolin came in and did a great job for the wildcats ( they were holding a lot and he found the holes hehe ) . The stats for the game were even but a lot of that was due to fourth quater when zona ws just trying to eat clock. they didnt get a single first down and cal got some garbage yards. would play this again , especially if i got that officiating crew again. nice to be on the good end of that once in awhile.

miami ohio +10 , final score miamioh 27 bgsu 20 , line differential + 17

Feel good about this bet as it was a bet based largely on the miamioh defense keeping bgsu form scoring a ton and they held them to 20 points on 14 first downs and 304 yards of offense. spot on here... most of the remaining games are blowouts so i will keep recaps short as the score pretty much tells the story and i am tired of typing this shit out.

pitt -3, final score pitt 42 navy 21 , line differential plus 18

If i had ordered this weeks recaps the same as usual , this would have been considered my best capped game. pitt had 499 yards of offense compared to navy 251 and 22 first downs compared to navy 12 first downs. Score doesnt even come close to telling the whole story either as pitt was intercepted going into the navy endzone and it was returned 91 yards all the way down to the pitt 8 where they then punched it in. so a 35-14 halftime score could easily have been 42-7. destruction.

iowa -3 , final score iowa 38 wisconsin 16 , line differential plus 19

Final score is a tad deceiving i guess. Iowa had the game under control when early second half wisconsin failed to convert some chances into td and settled for fg. iowa power run game shoved it down wiscy throat right after that for a couple of td and shonne greene ended up with 4 td i think. i have enough iowa talk in this thread already. hehe

maryland +105 , final score maryland 26 wake 0, line differential plus 26

22 first downs to 14 , 470 yards to 219. nuff said.

purdue northwestern over 44 , final score nw 48 purdue 26 , line differential plus 30

46 combined first downs , 916 total yards of offense in a game lined at 44 points. northwestern beat the total by 4 on their own. easy bet. i think a lot of folks had this one as it closed at atleast 50 and i got it at 44.

ohio state -3 , final score tosu 45 msu 7 , line differential plus 35

basically tosu made some plays in the first quarter and michst never recoverd and got taken out of their gameplan by the score somewhat. most saw this , no need to rehash much. Wasn't s domianting as the score in my opinion.

there , i know i got lazy at the end but i ahd a lot of plays and its hard to do recaps on all of them. will try to get on my bashing of frank beamer post tomorrow

Ha. You can't really appreciate SportsNut until you answer a PM from Kyle about UVa, a team you follow religiously, and then come into his thread to read SportsNut voicing basically the same opinion. He's like a goddamn human database.

SN, how many hours/week do you spend watching and/or researching college football?

I always feel like I should have to pay to read this thread each week...great job Kyle and crew...

Said it many times ... i consider you probably the best handicapper on the internet so i am just glad we get to bounce games off of each other now and then.

gl this week , i know we are on one or two similar games.

Ha. You can't really appreciate SportsNut until you answer a PM from Kyle about UVa, a team you follow religiously, and then come into his thread to read SportsNut voicing basically the same opinion. He's like a goddamn human database.

SN, how many hours/week do you spend watching and/or researching college football?

the kid can flat out research. Has some unique angles too , ilearned in baseball this year. Nice to see someone think outside of the box.

jgalt , i really appreciate the detailed response you gave me in the pm. Great stuff.

Again want to point out how valuable the member base here at CTG is. We have experts on teams all over the place. Last week i asked dmoney for an opinion on the obscure team western kentucky and he let me share his pm with you guys and you saw what kind of quality response that was. This week , i asked our resident virginia guy about this weeks game AT georgia tech. He has given me permission to share that pm with you this week. His thoughts more mirror sportsnut than my own but i want to share them with you so you can make the most informed decision regarding this game. Between sportsnut , jgalt and sharp money coming in on GT , i have to think there is atleast a chance that i have misevaluated that game. No way to get off the bet and i still like my reasoning but think its only fair to share what other good cappers like nut and jgalt think about this one. You have sportsnut take. Here is jgalts ...... i hate you guys... just kiddin.....

Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by vegaskyle
wondering if i can get your take on this one.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I'm longwinded, so be patient, I'll eventually get to my point:

UVa is a much better team than everyone thought they were after the Duke game. I think they had a really tough start to the season with all the starters getting booted off the team and losing Long, who really was one of the better college defensive players that I have ever seen. Lalich was a nice player and with his potential, could have led this team to a bowl game in what was going to be a rebuilding season from last year. But, he lost his focus and was (perhaps unfairly) kicked out of school. That put Verica, who was destined to be a career backup (and probably will be again if Sewell gets back into school next year) in a tough spot as the answer at QB for a team with a green OL. He has struggled and not put together a truly good game all year (Maryland wasn't bad, but Peerman was the difference in that game) and I don't honestly expect that to change, although I'm sure we will see improvement out of him as the season goes along.

This game, though, is the wakeup call. They have won with some smoke and mirrors at home the last 3 weeks against 2 teams they were actually better than (MD and ECU) and one who they are close to but who always chokes in C'ville (UNC). Now they are up against a team with a stout run defense and a really hard to defend triple option offense. GT plays aggressive at the LOS and is going to force Verica to be the one that beats them, much like they did to Harper against Clemson last week. The difference here is that UVa doesn't have a WR like Kelly who can make plays for himself and they won't spread out GT like the Tigers did to pull some of the guys who they like to bring away from the tackle box. UVa is going to run their same slow developing, center and guard pulling run plays off tackle and mix it up with some short routes across the middle of the field (the only ones Verica can make consistently). UNC totally shut this BS down all game, holding the Hoos to 3 FG attempts (1 made, 2 blocked) until the very end of the game, when UNC played a prevent and Verica had the best drive of his college career with plenty of time in the pocket as the Heels inexplicably backed off their pressure. GT won't do this, they are an excellent coached team and are going to exploit the hell out of the two weakest positions on the field for the Hoos; the right side of the OL (where GT superstar DE Michael Johnson lines up) and QB. I capped this game up and down and, unless GT continues to fumble the ball like crazy, UVa is not going to be able to score more than 10-13 points. They are just not good enough throwing the ball to put together long drives against an attacking defense like this one.

The question for you is; is GT going to score 28 or more points to lock this one up for you? The 3-4 should help out a bit with this as the Hoos are clearly not set up to play the option, needing to bring both LBs up the LOS if they want to neutralize Nesbitt at the point of attack. I think if they hold onto the ball and mix it up a bit, GT should average 7 yards/carry in this game. UVa's LBs are all slow as hell and UNC ran the ball off tackle pretty much at will for about 5 yards a pop until they adjusted. The problem was that Butchie's offense is too conservative and Sexton was not able to make them pay for committing to stopping the run. GT's run attack is multi-faceted enough that Pruitt will not be able to make just one adjustment to guard and will probably have to commit to a base defense. With that, GT should be able to mix it up with the pass (UVa's best corner, Dowling, is doubtful) and pick the defense apart.

I'm not betting the game (although I should), but if I was, I would be on GT. I see the score coming in around the 35-10 range, but it's tough for me to bet on a team that turns the ball over like GT does. Good luck with whatever you do, Kyle.

Last edited:
always appreciate your efforts...great read. on most with you but struggling with the gt game. prolly should lay off as i had a strong lean to tech but wavering after reading so many virgina players i respect. gotten pretty confused about it so, as i mentioned, may just move on...thanks again and good luck...

always appreciate your efforts...great read. on most with you but struggling with the gt game. prolly should lay off as i had a strong lean to tech but wavering after reading so many virgina players i respect. gotten pretty confused about it so, as i mentioned, may just move on...thanks again and good luck...

i wouldnt mind seeing who else is on virginia hehe .... would be nice to see. Even in my sunday conversations with a bunch of TRUE UNDERDOG bettors , i couldn't find much support for this play.

Anyone have sports insight numbers on GT game ?

appreciate the the thoughts scraps. We have a great football forum and i am happy to give what little back to it that i can.

i apologize but can't find any one but you on this game in my notes. posted too quick i guess! i do recall some others but didn't note.

any lean in the shoe saturday night? i have not seen any reason this year to play against penn state. i am a life long buckeye and most likely will be there but leaning hard to the lions...

i apologize but can't find any one but you on this game in my notes. posted too quick i guess! i do recall some others but didn't note.

any lean in the shoe saturday night? i have not seen any reason this year to play against penn state. i am a life long buckeye and most likely will be there but leaning hard to the lions...

flat out no play for me.

i think penn state has the more balanced team but asking any team to go into columbus and come out a winner is a tough spot for my money.

no lean at all. think it's a straight pickem game.

ok have a lot to like here with the ducks but what i like about this game is that i think i get a big edge in perception creating line value. I will get intot he matchup aspects and the QB aspects ( there are a lot of unknowns in that regard ) of this game later in the post. I really believe that oregon has become somewhat of a forgotten team at this point despite being a very solid team. But the real perception value that i see is that ASU is a BAD football team. Not above average like most people think , not average like some think ... but BELOW AVERAGE ...BAD. Yet they still get lined as if they are a half decent team. This creates value in the line that we receive. One thing that i like to take note of early in the week are the spots where the early movement favors the road favorite. A lot of sharp bettors stay away from road favs altogether so when the early money is on one , we should be taking notice of the game. Now , lets take a look at the matchup.

What i love here is that i get a dominant rushing team vs an average rush defense when oregon has the ball. The ducks can simply make average run defenses look terrible. Oregon averages 275 a game or so on the ground and there is little reason for me to believe that they fail to run it on ASU. The flip side is not so good. Only SMU and sdsu are running for less yards a game than ASU. read that last sentence again. ok read it again. Now , lets cut them a little slack as they have faced georgia , cal and usc on consecutive weeks leading into the bye before this game. But there is a reason why they don't run well ....their best back herring has been banged up and the offensive line gets dominated every week. dominated. Guess what gang ... oregon has a dominant defensive line as well. Against the run they are giving up roughly 102 yards a game and 2.76 yards a carry. DL Reed and tukuafu have combined for 23 tackles for loss this year. Just a huge edge in the trenches on both sides of the ball for oregon. With the run team i dont have to worry abou wind or elements either. ASu is giving up 2.33 sacks a game and oregon is getting 3.43 sacks per game defensively .. so if ASU is relegated to pasing a ton they are in for a long night up front. Oregon is finally getting healthy again as roper should see a lot of action this week and i believe there might be a hidden angle in this game as it relates to oregon last season and this season. It involves qb injuries and a trip to Arizona last year that ruined their national title hopes. As you may recall oregon was cruising and then dixon got hurt early in the wildcat game a year ago and it basically dashed their dreams. Now this year they have been suffering through qb injury after qb injury and where do they have to travel ?? yup back down to arizona .. sure its the sun devils this time but i think the team can see the parallels between the two seasons and the spot here and can be motivated. What is motivating ASU at this point ?? They are 2-4 in a year where some ( not me ) people thought they were pretty damn good. They are going to struggle to have any chance at bowl eligibility. The leader of the team , Carpenter is banged up pretty bad and nursing an ankle that might hinder his mobility some which is death when facing the oregon defensive line unblocked. Also concerned about the mindset of the sun devil fans who if you visit a lot of the boards , you will see they seem to have given up on this team. So i dont think that they get their normal hfa here either.

When all is said and done football games come down to blocking , tackling and motivation and i think oregon wins all three of those categories. In addition , i feel that oregon has the potential for more explosive plays as well.

Always a concern to lay road chalk but i felt this was a good spot.

Awesome write-up. GL this weekend, your card looks solid as always.

Back