20 Questions with the best baller on the planet..

• Thread starter Thread starter abcs
  • Start date Start date
A

abcs

Kobe on Shaq: Sour split 'a shame'

By DAN LE BATARD

dlebatard@MiamiHerald.com

265992661967.jpg

LISA BLUMENFELD / GETTY IMAGES
20 ANSWERS: Los Angeles Lakes All-Star guard Kobe Bryant answers 20 of Dan Le Batard's questions.

<!-- begin body-content -->Twenty questions with Los Angeles Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant:
Q: What's the greatest perk involved with being Kobe Bryant?
A: Access. To people. To things. If I want to buy something, it just takes a couple of calls and I get a great deal. I'm looking into buying a helicopter, for example. It's going to eliminate traffic. It'll take me only 15 minutes to get to games.
Q: What is your greatest weakness?
A: Caramel apples with nuts. I live 15 minutes from Disneyland, and I'll go over there just to get them. I can destroy five of those things in a couple of minutes.
Q: Something you believe in that very few people do?
A: Extraterrestrial activities. I believe in UFOs. I'm not a UFO nut, but I believe in life on other planets.
Q: Your greatest basketball-related regret?
A: Not being able to work out the relationship with Shaquille O'Neal. We accomplished so much together. It's a shame that it ended on a sour note. There was a lot that played into that situation, but if I had to do it over again, I'd communicate better. I'd initiate more of the conversation.
Q: Outside of family, three people who put you in your place?
A: Phil Jackson. That's it. In my entrepreneurial endeavors, I'm the boss. I delegate, provide a compass and direction and freedom. But I make the decisions.
Q: Most hurtful thing you've ever read about yourself?
A: I try not to read clippings, but people saying I'm selfish is always bothersome. I'm far from that. I do what's necessary. I facilitate. There are going to be nights I've got to carry the load if people are struggling, but I'm not selfish.
Q: Greatest pet peeve?
A: Dog poop. Hate it. You don't understand. We have two dogs. I won't go into a room if they've pooped in it. Someone has to clean that up. Something bad must have happened to me as a child with dog poop.
Q: Three traits you most admire in others?
A: Determination. Never making any excuses. And people loving what they do.
Q: During the time before the rape trail, how would you describe the scrutiny and pain of your darkest time?
A: I'm extremely religious. Everybody has a cross to bear, and I had to pick mine up and carry it. But I try to keep things in perspective. This was not a Katrina-victim cross. I didn't lose a loved one or a child. That's what faith will do. You reach bottom, and you can't carry the cross anymore, God carries it for you. My faith was OK before that, but that time enlightened me to His strength. There's enlightenment at the bottom.
Q: You do a lot of charity work. What's the most moved you've ever been during one of those experiences?
A: Whoa. Working with Make-A-Wish. This summer in Vegas, meeting a terminally ill kid. Carlos. We kicked it for five hours before he passed away. He was excited, but he was hurting so much it was hard for him to show it. It really, really touched me. You have to keep it together, though. You can't cry. They want a good time. You can't be sad, depressed in front of them. They want you as yourself. Meeting you is their dream, a dying wish, so you have to keep it together and remember the size of that responsibility.
Q: Give me an off-court example of how unreasonably competitive you are.
A: Being competitive when playing my 3-year-old daughter in Candyland? My daughter has gotten really mad playing me at Concentration. We were playing that memory game, and I knew where the winning cards were, and she didn't. I was a little tempted to turn them over. But my wife was watching, and she said I better not. So I conceded.
Q: You have the reputation of being distant and aloof with teammates. Give me an example that validates that and one that refutes that.
A: I'm just not aloof, period. That's just a misconception. The guys on the team are like little brothers to me. We eat together. Birthday bash for my kid at my house with all the kids. I play cards with them, video games. People just don't know me, but I'm trying to change that. I haven't had an opportunity to let people know me because I've been so, so focused on my game, but I don't want misconceptions about me when my career is over.
Q: Are you better than Dwyane Wade?
A: That's an unfair question. That's not for me to say. We're so different. We do different things. I won't play the game of 'who is better?' I don't get into that at all.
Q: Favorite athlete to watch, any sport?
A: ``Love LaDainian Tomlinson. Our sport: Carmelo [Anthony], LeBron [James], Dwyane. I'm a big soccer guy -- Ronaldhino.''
Q: Three traits most responsible for your greatness?
A: Passion. I have that beyond belief. This isn't work to me. It's a passion, an obsession. Commitment. And great mentors. A lot of guys have long arms, quick feet, leaping ability. I'm not the fastest. Every advantage I have is because of preparation.
Q: Give the layman an example of what kind of ridiculous shape you are in. The most extreme example of your fitness?
A: I've got really big lungs. I did a stress test. Twenty minutes on a treadmill on incline at the highest level. I wasn't even breathing hard at all, no problem. The doctors said afterward that I must have kept myself in great shape over the summer, but I didn't run once over the summer because of my knee. I get up at 4:30 in the morning for workouts, though. I work out several times a day. On hard days, I'll work out for eight hours. I hurt my ankle, the therapist is there until 2 in the morning.
Q: What is your wardrobe worth?
A: [Whistles] I have a variety of garments, a lot of custom-made stuff by Gucci. My wife is my stylist. You go into my closet, it's probably over $800,000.
Q: Four words or phrases you'd use to describe yourself to a stranger?
A: Funny, with a dry humor. Family. Hardworking. Misunderstood.
Q: Most awestruck you've ever been meeting someone?
A: Magic Johnson, by far. I was 17, and he walked into the gym. I couldn't speak. Didn't know whether to call him Earvin or Mr. Johnson or Magic.
Q: Toughest player for you to guard?
A: A lot of them. So many great ones. Carmelo Gilbert Arenas. Michael Redd. Anyone can light you up.

:shake:

IMO:
The best individual talent= Kobe
The most clutch/big shot with game on the line= Kobe
The player that is loved most by referees= D Wade (Average Player but referees babying him makes him much better to public than he really is.)

The player that is most versatile and valuable to his team= Dirk

A Dirk & Kobe twosome on the same team would win 2-3 championships in a row even if your other starting 3 players were Bill Winnington, Rodney McCray, & Doug Smith.

IMO

Poop

On Stephen A he said he works out like 3 times a day, and gets only like 3 hours of sleep. The guys work ethic is crazy. I knew a Mavs fan would bitch about wade gettin all the calls. Watch the game today and watch how many times wade palms the ball on his crossover.

No doubt throw.. gotta love the mamba

Merry Christmas bro :cheers:

abcs said:
No doubt throw.. gotta love the mamba

Merry Christmas bro :cheers:

Merry Xmas :cheers:

Ive Been waiting for this game like 4ever :wacka wacka:

I wish SHAQ was playing :shake:

Yea this is the one game that i had circled when it came out. I kind of am glad that Snacks is out, that way it will be more of a 1 on 1 matchup. I have no idea who is gonna guard kobe? Dorrell Wright? Posey? Give me a break.. I look for them to play a lot of zone since the lakers dont have any shooters.. ( Now Luke walton isnt a shooter even though he currently has a nice %)

Bryant or Wade

Which superstar and NBA champion do you prefer?

Posted: Monday December 25, 2006 11:41AM; Updated: Monday December 25, 2006 12:27PM

<!--startclickprintexclude--><SCRIPT>cnnEAUrl="";</SCRIPT><SCRIPT>function cnnEmailAlerts() {document.location.href='/alerts'+cnnEAUrl;}</SCRIPT><SCRIPT> uhref = 'http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=' + location.href;function fbs_click() { u=location.href + '?eref=FromFacebookShare'; t=document.title; void(window.open('http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u='+encodeURIComponent(u)+'&t='+encodeURIComponent(t), 'sharer','toolbar=no,width=642,height=435')); return false;}</SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://i.a.cnn.net/si/.element/ssi/js/2.0/clickability/button2356_1.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript> window.onerror=function(){clickURL=document.location.href;return true;} if(!self.clickURL) clickURL=parent.location.href; </SCRIPT><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD></TD><TD><SCRIPT>document.writeln();document.writeln('');</SCRIPT> </TD><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!--endclickprintexclude--><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=300 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="100%"><STYLE><!--.bb0 {font-family:verdana, helvetica,arial;font-size:12px;color:#000000;padding:10px;}.bb1 {font-family:verdana, helvetica,arial;font-size:18px;font-weight:bold;color:#ffffff;text-align:center;}.bb2 {background-color:#000000;font-family:verdana, helvetica,arial;font-size:16px;font-weight:bold;color:#ffffff;text-align:center;}.bb3 {font-family:verdana, helvetica,arial;font-size:20px;font-weight:bold;color:#000000;}//--></STYLE>
choosingsides.jpg

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=556 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD bgColor=#000000><TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bb1 colSpan=2>Who would you rather have? Each week, SI.com's Jack McCallum analyzes two players of similar talents and/or
on-court tendencies. (Contracts and salary-cap considerations are non-factors.)
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><!-- LEFT --><TD class=bb0 bgColor=#e7e7e7><!-- IMAGE --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=225 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bb3><CENTER>Kobe Bryant</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD>
kobe_bryant.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Noah Graham/NBAE via Getty Images
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- /IMAGE --></TD><!-- /LEFT --><!-- RIGHT --><TD class=bb0 bgColor=#ffffff><!-- IMAGE --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=225 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bb3><CENTER>Dwyane Wade</CENTER></TD></TR><TR><TD>
dwyane_wade.jpg
</TD></TR><TR><TD>Doug Pensinger/Getty Images
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- /IMAGE --></TD><!-- /RIGHT --></TR><TR><TD class=bb0 bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=2>How things change. The Miami Heat-Los Angeles Lakers Christmas Day game, now apparently an NBA tradition, was put in specifically to highlight the rivalry between former teammates Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant. And now Shaq, injured and aging, takes a backseat to the gunslinging showdown of the Lakers' Bryant and Miami's Dwyane Wade.
Statistically, the two stars are close. In Shaq's absence, Wade has had to carry more of the scoring load and is doing so, averaging 28.1 points entering Monday's game. Bryant is shooting less this season in his pledge to be a better teammate but is still averaging 27.8. Bryant is a slightly better percentage shooter (.478 to Wade's .476), a clearly better free-throw shooter (.843 to Wade's .804) and a much, much better three-point shooter (.368 to Wade's .273). Wade, though, is averaging eight assists per game to Bryant's 5.2. (At crunch time don't look for either of them to give it up ... and they shouldn't.) They both rebound well for guards, with Bryant at 5.2 and Flash at 4.6.
The best thing Wade has on his résumé is his Jordanesque performance in last year's Finals; he dragged the Heat to that championship. Bryant has three rings, but, in each of them, he played a secondary role to O'Neal, then the most dominant force in the league.
But I hesitated only a second to make my choice on this one. It's BRYANT. He's a better fundamental player, a much better defender and even a better passer when he wants to be.
Three assistant coaches I polled said the same thing, one calling Bryant "the most talented player in this league since Jordan by a wide, wide margin." Another noted: "I guess I'd want to know who else is on the team because Kobe has cornered the market on arrogance and Wade is a better teammate. But fundamentally Kobe is simply a much better player."
I concur.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Arenas Won't Be Denied

Wizard Isn't Worried About Slight From Lakers' Bryant

By Michael Lee
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, December 25, 2006; Page E04
Gilbert Arenas said he didn't have much time to talk following the first practice after the best week of his professional career. He had to rush home to celebrate the first birthday of his daughter, Izela, for whom he was lucky enough to snare a highly sought-after Elmo TMX doll, among other presents. Arenas promised to let his little girl play with the cake, mush the icing around and just enjoy herself because "she's celebrating her first birthday and her first Christmas," he said.
Arenas has a lot to celebrate this holiday season, too. In leading the Washington Wizards to a 3-1 road trip with wins over the Los Angeles Lakers, Sacramento Kings and Phoenix Suns, Arenas became just the third player in NBA history to record a 60-point game and a 50-point game in the same week, joining the rarefied air of Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant. He also managed to record the first- and third-highest scoring outings in franchise history, dropping a career-high 60 points in his home town of Los Angeles and a US Airways Center-record 54 in Phoenix.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=238 align=right><TBODY><TR><TD width=10></TD><TD width=228>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/24/form.inf<DIV class=sidebarhack style="WIDTH: 228px" </DIV>TRACKING THE WIZARDS

<!--
<SUP>_____</SUP> From The Post <SUP>_____</SUP>
-->
PH2005040200212.jpg

Gilbert Arenas is coming off one of the great weeks in NBA history.
Gilbert Arenas has a subtle retort to recent criticism from Kobe Bryant in the form of a new shooting mantra.
Gilbert Arenas scores 54 points as the Wizards snap the Suns' 15-game winning streak, 144-139, in overtime.
Notebook: Coach Eddie Jordan had a tough time with a Buffalo blizzard in 1977.
In his fifth NBA season, Caron Butler is having a career year.
Mike Wise: The Eastern Conference has fallen rapidly and is now very weak.

WIZARDS REPORT

Personnel Dept.
Wizards: F Caron Butler has scored at least 20 points in six consecutive games -- averaging 27.6 points and shooting 49.5 percent (60 for 121) -- to raise his scoring average to 20 points per game.
Grizzlies: Pau Gasol is being brought along slowly since returning from a 14-week layoff because of a broken left foot. Gasol has averaged just 14.3 points in 22.2 minutes in his first six games, but he is shooting a career-best 56.5 percent. Gasol scored a season-high 28 points in a loss at New Orleans.

By the Numbers
10: Consecutive games in which the Wizards have scored at least 100 points. The Wizards are 7-3 in those games, averaging 119.2 points. With a win tonight, the Wizards can record 11 consecutive 100-point games for the first time since 1995-96, when the Bullets had 11 straight.

Quotable
"What assassin does? Did [Michael] Jordan have a conscience? Kobe [Bryant] doesn't have a conscience. You don't score 81 in an NBA [game] with a conscience. There is something in your mind that says, 'I'm going to kill this team.' It's something you're born with. Every player doesn't have it. [Kobe] is a killer." Gilbert Arenas, on whether, as Bryant questioned recently, he has a "conscience."

Wizards Insider

Ivan Carter and Michael Lee with exclusive coverage and analysis on the Washington Wizards.

BASICS

Roster
Statistics
Schedule
Wizards Section

Latest From the Wires

NBA Basics

PH2005040100281.jpg

<SCRIPT src="http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/technorati/Technorati.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT>var technorati = new Technorati() ;technorati.setProperty('url','http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/24/AR2006122400740_Technorati.html') ;technorati.article = new item('Arenas Won\'t Be Denied','http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/24/AR2006122400740.html','Gilbert Arenas is coming off the best week of his NBA career, becoming the third player in history to record a 60 and 50-point game in the same week.','Michael Lee') ;</SCRIPT><SCRIPT src="http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/12/24/AR2006122400740_Technorati.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT>document.write( technorati.getDisplaySidebar() );</SCRIPT><LINK media=all href="http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/css/bookmarking.css" rel=stylesheet>
<TABLE cellSpacing=right cellPadding=0 width=222 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=sb-left align=left>Save & Share Article</TD><TD class=sb-right align=right>What's This?</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Digg

Google

del.icio.us

Yahoo!

Reddit

Facebook

<SCRIPT>placeAd('article',commercialNode,24,'',false)</SCRIPT>
ad_label_leftjust.gif

<SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/wpni.sports/wizards;dir=wizardsnode;dir=sports;dir=wizards;heavy=y;;pos=ad24;sz=208x40;ad=208x40;fromrss=n;rss=n;poe=yes;page=article;tile=24;wpid=sportswizards_ar2006122400740;ord=937372414105691400?"></SCRIPT>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Arenas's scoring binge also helped push the Wizards within 1 1/2 games of Orlando for first place in the Southeast Division. His shoe commercial for Adidas is in heavy rotation and led him to say with a grin yesterday that he is "finally getting some love a little bit."
Emphasis on little bit, because no matter what he does, Arenas finds more material for the boulder-sized chip on his shoulder. His career game came one night after a fight between the Denver Nuggets and New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden, one night before Carmelo Anthony received a 15-game suspension and two days before Allen Iverson was traded to Denver, leaving the accomplishment with limited shelf life.
"Truthfully, it's always something going wrong with me," Arenas, who ranks third in the league with 30.1 points per game, said after practice yesterday. "I score 60, Kobe downplays my 60 like it's nothing. It happens. At the end of the day, I'm in the record book."
Following the Wizards' 147-141 overtime victory, Bryant questioned Arenas's shot selection, credited the bulk of his scoring total to taking 27 free throws and said Arenas had "no conscience."
Asked if it hurt to hear criticism from Bryant -- his childhood idol and a player whose poster hung in his bedroom when he was growing up in Los Angeles -- Arenas shrugged and said he didn't care. He then said: "If someone downgrades, they really care; it really hurt them. That's how I look at it. If he didn't comment, he didn't acknowledge it. But for him to comment, I really got to him. A great player like him, you have to do something to that level to get his respect. Now it's going to be one of those games, he's going to write on his calendar, 'I've got to get back at him.' Before, it was, 'Who cares about that team? Who cares about that player?' Now it's, 'Let me circle his name with the rest of them.' "
Later, when discussing his higher profile, Arenas shot back at Bryant with some words that will surely add more interest to the rematch with the Lakers on Feb. 3 at Verizon Center.
"I'm glad what I'm doing is on national television so they can finally see what I did in the past; my 29 [points per game last season] is not a fluke. What I did in the playoffs is not a fluke. What I've done the last five years is not a fluke," Arenas said. "Everybody says, 'Oh, he's not better than this person, he's not better than that person.' But if you go year by year, number-wise, what's the difference between me and Kobe? He had Shaq. He got three rings. Other than that, my numbers are blowing his out of the water the first six years in the league."
Not quite. In his sixth season, Arenas has a career average of 22 points per game. Bryant, who entered the league directly out of high school, averaged 18.5 in his first five seasons, playing alongside Shaquille O'Neal. But despite two all-star appearances, Arenas is obviously tired of being slighted.
"Before the season, I said it was the takeover and that I was going to make a stamp for myself," he said. "I'm living up to my word. I know I can score with the best of them. I'm just finally getting the opportunity to get seen."
Oh my

Back