1 Day to August 28 / FCS Week Zero

Although it is always hard to guess who MW will come up with, I think I know who we will see today!

About six or seven years after this game, a former Clemson player named Joey told me that Clemson knew FSU had been practicing the puntrooski. They knew to look for the play if Leroy Butler (wearing number 6) came into the game for a putative punt play. Joey, along with others on the sideline, saw that Butler had come in and, and he and everyone around him started screaming, "Six" at the top of their lungs, but the crowd was too loud, and the nearest Clemson players, less than 20 yards away, couldn't hear them over the crowd noise. I don't know what the coaches upstairs were looking at, but the play went off.

6 butler_leroy.jpg
6 Leroy Butler puntrooski 0.jpg
6 Leroy Butler puntrooski 1.jpg6 Leroy Butler puntrooski 2.jpg6 Leroy Butler puntrooski 3.jpg

About six or seven years after this game, a former Clemson player named Joey told me that Clemson knew FSU had been practicing the puntrooski. They knew to look for the play if Leroy Butler (wearing number 6) came into the game for a putative punt play. Joey, along with others on the sideline, saw that Butler had come in and, and he and everyone around him started screaming, "Six" at the top of their lungs, but the crowd was too loud, and the nearest Clemson players, less than 20 yards away, couldn't hear them over the crowd noise. I don't know what the coaches upstairs were looking at, but the play went off.

View attachment 57998
View attachment 57999
View attachment 58000View attachment 58001View attachment 58002
I had the Leroy Butler card

Steve Fuller agreed to un-retire his number so Watson could wear it. He finished 6th in the Heisman voting in 1978:

4 fullernotredame 1977.jpg4 Steve Fuller.jpg4 fuller 48-a.jpg

Attachments

• 4 Fuller gets abused.jpg
    4 Fuller gets abused.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 4 fullernotredame2.jpg
    4 fullernotredame2.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 0
From Cedar Shoals High School in Athens, Georgia, the QB for Clemson's first national title team:

3 Homer Jordan.jpg
3 Homer Jordan ded.jpg

Last edited:
"I look at a team that hasn't lost a game in regulation.
There has not been a team that has beaten us in 60 minutes."
The 2007 season was obviously the craziest CFB season I can remember and was a doozy in this forum as well. Good, good freaking times.

The 2007 season was obviously the craziest CFB season I can remember and was a doozy in this forum as well. Good, good freaking times.
Yeah, I initially thought of the Les Miles quote and them being a 2-loss title game team when I read apostrophe, thinking asterisk, but I then knew you meant it as Andre'

Last edited:
Back