0 Days till the first full Saturday of the season....

Before Joe Pa I was going to say Hayden Fry...

There you go. Iowa beat us in 81 10 to 7. We were 1 and 2 (lost to psu that year too, but beat fsu...what a schedule) and then behind at halftime to Auburn before we finally put Turner Gill in at QB.

I figured in the early to mid 80's....Fry was around late 70's and on....so there was a chance...

I just looked up that schedule...brutal...and that is just the first month...

After midnight my time....so 15 days left....seems to be the perfect time to shine on maybe the best CFB player ever....

225764.0.jpg

How crazy is this. In 81, Nebraska won out and finished the regular season number 4 at 9 and 2. Gill got hurt and didnt play in the finale vs OU or the Orange Bowl against #1 Clemson, coached by Danny Ford (who is the last guy on our list of 6). #2 and #3 lost their bowl games, so the orange bowl was for the title which Clemson won 22 to 15. Amazingly to me, Nebraska without Gill was still a 4.5 pt fav.

82 was the screw job, Nebraska's only loss. PSU lost a game by 3 touchdowns to a not very good Bama team. Nebraska jumped them, but then somehow Paterno talked the voters into jumping us when they beat a mediocre Notre dame team in mid November. They then also beat Herschel in the bowl game and got the title.

83 was the go for 2 vs Miami. So Osborne easily could have had 3 more titles. Add in the screw job vs FSU in 93 in the title game and he could have won 7 titles instead of 3 and then he's right there with Saban as GOAT.

I figured in the early to mid 80's....Fry was around late 70's and on....so there was a chance...

I just looked up that schedule...brutal...and that is just the first month...

To be fair, the big 8 likely sucked at that point other than OU.

How crazy is this. In 81, Nebraska won out and finished the regular season number 4 at 9 and 2. Gill got hurt and didnt play in the finale vs OU or the Orange Bowl against #1 Clemson, coached by Danny Ford (who is the last guy on our list of 6). #2 and #3 lost their bowl games, so the orange bowl was for the title which Clemson won 22 to 15. Amazingly to me. Nebraska without Gill was still a 4.5 pt fav.

82 was the screw job, Nebraska's only loss. PSU lost a game by 3 touchdowns to a not very good Bama team. Nebraska jumped them, but then somehow Paterno talked the voters into jumping us when they beat a mediocre Notre dame team in mid November. They then also beat Herschel in the bowl game and got the title.

83 was the go for 2 vs Miami. So Osborne easily could have had 3 more titles. Add in the screw job vs FSU in 93 in the title game and he could have won 7 titles instead of 3 and then he's right there with Saban as GOAT.
M.W. would have obviously gotten Danny Ford.

Yeah, I was rooting for Nebraska in '94. Loved Cory then he was a Lion. Was was a big Tommy fan too.

Crazy to think all that.

Voters have him a half ship in '97 though as a retirement gift ;)

M.W. would have obviously gotten Danny Ford.

Yeah, I was rooting for Nebraska in '94. Loved Cory then he was a Lion. Was was a big Tommy fan too.

Crazy to think all that.

Voters have him a half ship in '97 though as a retirement gift ;)

Completely true. Scott Frost talked the coaches into it. Would have liked to have played that game, and the 94 game vs psu.

I do really wish there was no tie ins back then...

That would have been an unreal game.

Instead you all got 2nd rate Peyton (sorry PV1) and we got Wazzou.

That was a damn good Noles team in 93.
That Offense was so fun to watch

FSU was 17.5 pt favorites as a one loss team over an undefeated #1 team. That's how good they were, but watch that game and tell me Nebraska didn't outplay them. Charlie Ward was fun as hell though.

So are you a Sparty and a Penn State fan, Cavs? Or just a hater of the Wolverines? I don't know to be quite honest based on your past posts.

So are you a Sparty and a Penn State fan, Cavs? Or just a hater of the Wolverines? I don't know to be quite honest based on your past posts.
All three. He loves schools embroiled in controversy (PSU, MSU, Maryland)

All three. He loves schools embroiled in controversy (PSU, MSU, Maryland)

Woah no. I HATE maryland. I always got into fights (imagine lol) with Terp fans when they played UVA in soccer

Also have zero interest in rooting for Puke eyes.

The controversies had frustrated me if anything. The way PSU administration treated my guy. The disgusting business at MSU. (And you know very well that I was loyal to MSU before Nassar it‘s actually pretty awful to suggest that he would draw me to MSU lol.

I‘m just enthused to defend the accused, i‘ve always been that way in History class. Nassar is at least a step beyond my boundary.

Last edited:

My brother went to Penn State.
Had a great friend who got me into Spartans.

When I went to UVA i never got into the football team. Only soccer and basketball. So i‘m very open to pluralistic loyalty in college football.

That‘s really all there is to it.

My brother went to Penn State.
Had a great friend who got me into Spartans.

When I went to UVA i never got into the football team. Only soccer and basketball. So i‘m very open to pluralistic loyalty in college football.

That‘s really all there is to it.

Ah...makes more sense. Fair enough...I did so much business and have made tons of trips all over Michigan so I have a lot of both UM and MSU friends.

VY may well be the 2nd best CFB player I've ever seen behind Tommie although Barry didn't suck

Hershel Walker and Mike Vick were the 2 best college football players I've ever seen and there isn't a close 3rd.

Couple Auburn guys, Bo and Cam rank up there for me as well

Of course I never saw Archie, Earl was before I was old enough to care, OJ etc

Cam prolly deserves to be in the mix, the controversy soured him...Nebraska, best team I've ever seen, was Tommie Frazier

And VY willed a team to a championship against USC who were thought unbeatable

Cam is just behind that

VY was thé best I lever saw in collège i think. Cannot think of better. Biased with how much money he made me and his school. Had thé advantage of playing one of thé best big games of all time

Back