XFL... Shut er down

skanless13

Fly, Eagles, Fly!
C'mon, some of you know you're going to check it out, and likely make some small wagers on it like I will.... quite small.
So, that being said. What do you all know about these teams and players....

Odds for 1st weekend are out.

XFL - FEB 08
02/0811:00
Seattle Dragons
@
DC Defenders
Spread
+7.5-109
-7.5-111

Total

Money Line

02/0814:00
Los Angeles Wildcats
@
Houston Roughnecks
Spread
+5.5-109
-5.5-111

Total

Money Line

XFL - FEB 09
02/0911:00
Tampa Bay Vipers
@
New York Guardians
Spread
-2-111
+2-109

Total

Money Line

02/0914:00
St. Louis BattleHawks
@
Dallas Renegades
Spread
+10-109
-10-111

Total

Money Line

How cool would it be if this league was interesting enough to take football into late April? With March Madness, baseball and then the NBA playoffs coming up the question is always, does the football fan base lose interest once we get the other sports going?
For me personally, I absolutely enjoyed the AAF in February as bad as it was. There was no offense so there was plenty of coin to make on the inflated totals. The XFL is clearly designed for points so we'll see if it cant defy the history of failures this time of year. GL!

Last edited:
I notice no books that I can find are offering totals on this yet. I guess its pretty tough to set a number. The rules of this league are setup to create points but OTOH the history of 2nd tier leagues like the AAF and the old XFL showed that decent QBs are tough to find and the offenses will likely be way behind defenses, at least to start.

I remember in the oild XFL they couldn't set totals low enough. A lot of games were in the mid-30s by seasons end.

There are some pretty good quarterbacks in the league.

Dallas... Landry Jones, Eric Dungey
DC.... Cardell Jones
Houston.... Connor Cook

There are some pretty good big name Head Coaches

Dallas....Bobby Stoops
Houston....June Jones
New York.... Kevin Kilbride
Seattle... Jim Zorn

I notice no books that I can find are offering totals on this yet. I guess its pretty tough to set a number. The rules of this league are setup to create points but OTOH the history of 2nd tier leagues like the AAF and the old XFL showed that decent QBs are tough to find and the offenses will likely be way behind defenses, at least to start.

I remember in the oild XFL they couldn't set totals low enough. A lot of games were in the mid-30s by seasons end.
Circa tossed out numbers earlier and they got hit pretty quick I believe. They opened each game at 40.5 and those all moved to 44 as of a few hours ago.

Circa tossed out numbers earlier and they got hit pretty quick I believe. They opened each game at 40.5 and those all moved to 44 as of a few hours ago.

Wow that is low. I had assumed that they would be mid to high 40s based on the rules and there would be value on the unders because the offences would be sloppy to start.

The league looks like it’s on much more solid footing than last time around. The question I have is whether people will learn to love this radically different type of football. Some of the rules look interesting, some look like they could legitimtely improve player safety but some just look downright gimmicky ala the trampoline basketball league.

They seem to be putting a big emphasis on allowing teams to come back from deficits. I get that comebacks are exciting but the danger in going too far down that road where no lead is safe is that eventually viewers realize there’s no point in watching the first 55 mins when only the last 5 matter.

The gambler will have no way to cap these games because of the gimmicks. Kickoff teams will be a huge factor with field position. I'll approach this like playing keno on a rainy day. Low risk if there's absolutely nothing else going on, and we rarely get rain here.

Wow that is low. I had assumed that they would be mid to high 40s based on the rules and there would be value on the unders because the offences would be sloppy to start.

The league looks like it’s on much more solid footing than last time around. The question I have is whether people will learn to love this radically different type of football. Some of the rules look interesting, some look like they could legitimtely improve player safety but some just look downright gimmicky ala the trampoline basketball league.

They seem to be putting a big emphasis on allowing teams to come back from deficits. I get that comebacks are exciting but the danger in going too far down that road where no lead is safe is that eventually viewers realize there’s no point in watching the first 55 mins when only the last 5 matter.
Forgot about the Trampoline basketball league lol

Won't be betting, but will be watching. I enjoyed the AAF last spring and this one interests me. I can't think of any of the various pro football startups that didn't inerest me. I haven't had time to check the rosters, but I know there will be guys I know and will enjoy watching

They lost enough money last time around I think they learned some valuable lessons and will drop the WWE gimmicks this time out.

I really do hope they bring back Rod Smart (aka HeHateMe) for an opening coin toss or somesuch. He is really the only thing most people remember from the original xfl.

After it folded he went on to play in the cfl for a couple years as a backup WR/KR and then fell off the radar after that.

Since June Jones is the HC for the Houston franchise, I’d like to see a prop on how many times the clueless commentators refer to their offence as the run’n’shoot. I would take over 3.5 in a heartbeat.

When he was in the cfl I watched him patiently explain to reporters week in and week out that the run’n’shoot has been thoroughly inculcated into modern football offences to the point that it really isn’t a stand along thing anymore. And then the very next week the first question from a reporter would inevitably be about how his run’n’shoot offense would fare against so and so.

I hope Punter Marquette King, stops showing off and just be a punter.
If so, he should be back in the NFL for the 2020 Season...

Most recognizable for Raiders fans will be former punter Marquette King who went from one of the best punters in the NFL to epic flameout because of his flamboyant personality and antics. One of Jon Gruden’s first moves as Raiders head coach was to cut King. He would sign on with the Broncos and after four games, he had worn out his welcome there too. He hasn’t been signed to an NFL teams since and is now a member of the XFL’s St Louis Battlehawks.

A few recent former Raiders quarterbacks are also on XFL rosters. Former undrafted rookie turned starter Matt McGloin will be suiting up for the New York Guardians. While Connor Cook — the only quarterback to start a playoff game for the Raiders in 17 years – is part of the Houston Roughnecks. There’s also Josh Johnson and Landry Jones who each spent some time on the Raiders’ offseason roster in 2018 and 2019 respectively.

Here are all 20 former Raiders on XFL rosters right now.

Dallas Renegades

QB Landry Jones

DC Defenders

None

Houston Roughnecks

QB Connor Cook

RB James Butler

LB Kaelin Burnett

DE Kony Ealy

DL Gabe Wright

LA Wildcats

QB Josh Johnson

RB Elijah Hood

OT Tyler Roemer

WR Saeed Blacknall

TE Brandon Barnes

New York Guardians

QB Matt McGloin

LB Ben Heeney

C Ian Silberman

St Louis Battlehawks

P Marquette King

WR De’Mornay Pierson-El

OT Matt McCants

Seattle Dragons

CB Channing Stribling

Tampa Bay Vipers

HC Marc Trestman

RB Mack Brown

Really Hard With Nothing To Go On...
I Think Because Of The Rules,
Possible we see more Overs than Unders?
Again,
I'm kinda in 'wait and see' mode...

Anyone playing anything this weekend?
I see Bovada is offering 13pt 4 team teasers. These totals got pushed way up. Very tempted to tack on 13pts more in what should be a slopfest in week 1. Unless they're handcuffing the defensive players, the offenses should take a game to get in sync I would think. Yes, the play clock is going to push tempo and these HC's and OC's are very offensive minded, but you still need time in this particular game to get in rhythm offensively. That's my bs for an analysis.

So far really impressed with the XFL for a 1st week. How about you guys?
Much better than AAF so far. Still dont think this league will pull me away from March Madness, baseball or NBA playoffs when it comes. Definitely nice to have for the next month.

Really impressed with XFL for a week 1 with no preseason and brand new league. DC most impressive team so far IMO.
What do you all think so far?

I like the way they do kickoffs... takes awhile to get used to aesthetically, but I'd much rather have that than no kickoffs... that AAF shit was wacked.

Really impressed with XFL for a week 1 with no preseason and brand new league. DC most impressive team so far IMO.
What do you all think so far?
DC and Seattle is probably going to be a factor. I liked the way McGloin played. Wondering if these players could get taken during the season.

Back